PDA

View Full Version : Champ

jebures
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
What was lost in this otherwise fantastic effort tonight was how bad Champ Bailey played today. Dwayne Bowe owned him all game long.

BroncosSR
11-14-2010, 06:26 PM
What was lost in this otherwise fantastic effort tonight was how bad Champ Bailey played today. Dwayne Bowe owned him all game long.

Agreed, definitely brutal. And I don't want to hear the bull**** that they were up and he was playing softer coverage. They still ended up with almost 30 points on Denver's D.

MplsBronco
11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
how many picks does he have this year? he wants how much money?

orinjkrush
11-14-2010, 06:37 PM
not looking like superman every play anymore. just many plays if not most.
nevertheless, having him and dawkins back there is a strength not a weakness.

lostknight
11-14-2010, 06:39 PM
It's a concern - the older members of the team are going to be dragging at times the second half. Champ was winded, no doubt about it.

Thompson and Cox need to be ready for action.

orange crusher
11-14-2010, 06:41 PM
It's a concern - the older members of the team are going to be dragging at times the second half. Champ was winded, no doubt about it.

Thompson and Cox need to be ready for action.

Cox shouldn't come out of the starting lineup again, IMO.

baja
11-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Well if he was going to have a bad game this was a good one to do it in.

He was so pissed at himself. He will be a monster next week.

montrose
11-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Just sayin'...

http://media.mlive.com/lions_impact/photo/alphonso-smith-10jpg-f8cb770aa520ab6c.jpg

McDman
11-14-2010, 08:48 PM
You could tell he was so pissed off. Hopefully he'll get it rigth and come out strong next week.

tsiguy96
11-14-2010, 08:52 PM
he had a bad game, also had some good saves on a couple passes, but definitely a D- for the champ.

BroncoDoug
11-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Worst game I ever remember from him in a Broncos Uni....

Dedhed
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
He was pissed at Bowe pushing off all day. It certainly wasn't a great day for him.

However, I don't see much to be concerned about when a CB is giving up underneath routes with a 35 point lead.

Ray Finkle
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Just sayin'...

http://media.mlive.com/lions_impact/photo/alphonso-smith-10jpg-f8cb770aa520ab6c.jpg

yeah, he did so great today against the then winless Bills.

KipCorrington25
11-14-2010, 09:03 PM
He seemed gassed all night and they were obviously going after him and not Cox...

Al Wilson
11-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Ya it was his worst game as a Bronco so far. Also, can we please get rid of Nate Jones and start playing Syd Thompson more ??? Jones is the worst player on this team, I have no clue how he is on the 53 man roster.

broncosteven
11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
I am not concerned about Champ, if he played that way in a tight game maybe but it was a blow out and they were trying to contain the edges to keep Charles from hitting the corner and they were successful at it.

Dedhed
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Relax folks

baja
11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I saw about 5 blocks in the back on KC's runbacks and some blatant holding calls on KC and several push offs on Champ none of which were called. The refs were not blowing the whistle today. And how about that QB sneak by Cassell on the goal line, it looked like a scrum.

montrose
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM

He's still a monster. :strong:

snowspot66
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
He's still a monster. :strong:

Too bad he couldn't pull his head out in TC. Got outplayed by damn never every CB in camp.

montrose
11-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Too bad he couldn't pull his head out in TC. Got outplayed by damn never every CB in camp.

No, god no...

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2010/10/24/16/RaidersBroncosFootba6.standalone.prod_affiliate.4. jpg

_Oro_
11-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Dude it sucks we lost Phonzo as he is a talent. But we're going to have to get used to losing talent while Josh is here. He's implementing a team first mentality and guys that don't buy into it are going to be shipped out no matter how talented they are.

The cool thing is that its completely rare, and totally refreshing, to see a coach in this day and age not give into the primadonnas.

Requiem
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Champ didn't have his best effort, but I think Cox had a very solid showing. Diamond in the rough, but everyone knew he was talented!

broncofan2438
11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Yea, unfortunately I was hoping no one else noticed this and I was going crazy. Hope it was just an off game for him. Big Monday night game against a tough pass game

Br0nc0Buster
11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I think part of it was scheme as well
it seemed like Bailey was playing 15 yards off every play

TDmvp
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Best tackler ever to play cb that i ever seen ...

Yea maybe he has lost a step ... and he had bad days a few years ago just like any other player

IE the Bengals monday night game where he fell down twice and gave up td's ...

Today I think we played a lot of read run first coverages and Bowe had a great game with them HAVING to pass vs wanting to pass...

Cb's reading run first and shutting that down will give a wr a great game... Just win...

DBroncos4life
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM

I don't know Ryan Fitzpatrick has been playing pretty well over the last three weeks for the most part. The Lions did a pretty good job of stopping the passing attack this week.

Boltjolt
11-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Im not trying to cause a stir but Matt Cassel had 469 yards passing? zowie! Id be concerned.
Here comes Rivers, though with a lessor WR group. We'll see if the Rookie can step it up again.

enjolras
11-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm not terribly concerned.

Yes Cassel had 469 yards passing almost completely in garbage time. I know it's been awhile since we've been on the right side of one of these, but massive passing yards during meaningless possessions are hardly rare. The vast majority of Bowe 'owning' champ occurred during meaningless possessions in the second half with the game long over.

The Broncos spent most of the second half trying out different blitz packages and the corners spent most of the half playing what appeared to be a REALLY soft cover-two.

Champ isn't the player he was, but his play all season has still been quite good. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

montrose
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I think part of it was scheme as well
it seemed like Bailey was playing 15 yards off every play

lol
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bobslowik.jpg

KevinJames
11-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Cox shouldn't come out of the starting lineup again, IMO.

Cox was very solid today

IMO if we had Cox against SF we win.

and the whole Bailey playing bad thing we were playing off coverage all game with a 21 point or more lead thats why he got beat on the underneath stuff.

footstepsfrom#27
11-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Champ's entitled to an off day every now and then. Besides, he had a very sweet hit on Bowe near the goal line that he was very fortunate to hold on to after Bailey rocked him.

BroncoDoug
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM
lol
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bobslowik.jpg

oh dear god make it go away!

extralife
11-14-2010, 11:29 PM
He didn't just look bad--he looked <i>tired</i> and worn out.

There are two ways top flight athletes go when they start to get old: they either accept it, and use their brains to make up for what they've lost, or they keep trying to do the things they used to be able to do without properly understanding that it just doesn't work that way anymore. Champ seems to be falling into the trap of the latter category a bit. He was always a guy that relied on his freakish athleticism to cheat a bit in coverage. He'd bait QBs and set up receivers by playing off, because he knew he'd still get to the ball before the receiver would. That's a little harder to do at 32, and I think he needs to start adjusting.

Hulamau
11-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Ya it was his worst game as a Bronco so far. Also, can we please get rid of Nate Jones and start playing Syd Thompson more ??? Jones is the worst player on this team, I have no clue how he is on the 53 man roster.

Agree, Syd has moxie and speed and is a ball hawk, none of which describes Jones. Make the switch now!

Hulamau
11-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm not terribly concerned.

Yes Cassel had 469 yards passing almost completely in garbage time. I know it's been awhile since we've been on the right side of one of these, but massive passing yards during meaningless possessions are hardly rare. The vast majority of Bowe 'owning' champ occurred during meaningless possessions in the second half with the game long over.

The Broncos spent most of the second half trying out different blitz packages and the corners spent most of the half playing what appeared to be a REALLY soft cover-two.

Champ isn't the player he was, but his play all season has still been quite good. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Mea ... I think it was all a set up for next week, we were so far ahead they told Champ to pull up and look frustrated .. intice SD and Phillis to go after him early and often next week and set up a few pick 6's :approve: :sunshine:

Boltjolt
11-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Mea ... I think it was all a set up for next week, we were so far ahead they told Champ to pull up and look frustrated .. intice SD and Phillis to go after him early and often next week and set up a few pick 6's :approve: :sunshine:

Rivers will go at him anyways. Always has and has had a lot of success. Rivers dont care who is covering our guys.

Bronco Yoda
11-15-2010, 04:13 AM
He had an off game but he didn't quit. I loved how he jumped on the pile on the goal line stand. :)

The Joker
11-15-2010, 04:44 AM
I am very, very worried about what Rivers will do against us next week.

Be great to have Ayers back in the fold for that one, if we don't get some sort of pressure on Rivers we'll need to put up 30+ on offense to have a chance.

Broncoman13
11-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Bailey's problem was two fold. First, he was covering a big physical receiver who gets away with physical play. The guy happens to run pretty well too so playing up close and giving the potential big play is not the smart move. Play back, make them take 10-15 plays per scoring drive. Eats up clock. 2nd, they threw constantly in the 2nd half. You bet he was gassed. Having to cover play after play after play will gas anyone.

It wasn't his best effort, but I was proud that when he was gassed he waved off a replacement and stood in there and took his medicine. I remember thinking the same thing last year and then Champ showed up for the Philly game, locked DeSean Jackson down and showed that he is still one of the best in the game. Hopefully we will see a similar recovery from him next week... gonna need him vs Flip Rivers!

baja
11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
wonder what goodman's status is?

Cox had a good game, he is getting better every week.

bap454
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Not to change the flow to much....but speaking on Defensive Backs, Mcbath was on the field quite a bit. Who did he replace? Was he in for Hill or Dawkins? I agree that Nate Jones and Renaldo Hill are our week points in the Defensive Back field? Even Goodman has looked atroucious as of late. Definately on the bandwagon for Cox, Sqiud, and Mcbath to start!!

oubronco
11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Im not trying to cause a stir but Matt Cassel had 469 yards passing? zowie! Id be concerned.
Here comes Rivers, though with a lessor WR group. We'll see if the Rookie can step it up again.

<!-- / message -->http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/frugsplayground/1256523423443.jpg

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 01:39 PM
the broncos will go back to being in press coverage when the blitz Cry Me a Rivers.

Champ and CO. gave a very large cussion to the WR's after the score was 28-0

pink_feet
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I am very, very worried about what Rivers will do against us next week.

Be great to have Ayers back in the fold for that one, if we don't get some sort of pressure on Rivers we'll need to put up 30+ on offense to have a chance.

This.

Rivers has put up insane numbers this year. When you look at what he has done with what he has had, it makes it more unreal.

Now that Gates will be back as well as Floyd, jeebezus...

Only thing we can be thankful for is that Vincent Jackson is still out.

pink_feet
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

<!-- / message -->http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/frugsplayground/1256523423443.jpg

Chargers get everyone back for us, including their WR and more importantly, Gates.

Mile High Shack
11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm downright petrified of what Rivers might do to us

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 01:47 PM
wonder what goodman's status is?

Cox had a good game, he is getting better every week.

hopefully Goodman doesn't come back until he's 100%.....he should have never played against the 49ers

bronco militia
11-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm downright petrified of what Rivers might do to us

why? he has always owned the Broncos

Mile High Shack
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
why? he has always owned the Broncos

yeah, I know, hence why I'm petrified

kupesdad
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Champ is still a stud...He may be showing his age a bit at times, but he still shows up and gives a ****. I don't think anyone could be more mad at him as he was in himself. He is as sure a tackler as anyone that has played that position. He will be a 1st ballot HOF and Denver is fortunate to have a classy leader on the field no matter what you think of his play yesterday

Popps
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Champ has had a very consistent season. Not sure what happened yesterday, but not worried about it. I hope teams try to throw at him because of it.

edog24
11-15-2010, 02:19 PM
He will be a great safety, he layed the wood on Bowe yesterday.

_Oro_
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
He will be a great safety, he layed the wood on Bowe yesterday.

Yup that was sweet. That hit convinced me he could actually play safety.