PDA

View Full Version : Elway talks up Broncos

Bronco Yoda
11-13-2010, 01:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/20079/john-elway-talks-up-broncos
By Bill Williamson

The struggling Denver Broncos received a rare pep talk from the most iconic name in team history this week.

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway visited the 2-6 Broncos and told them to persevere. The team has been booed at home and second-year coach Josh McDaniels is not a popular figure in the city. Yet Elway, who is interested in becoming a part owner of the team, told the players to hang in there as they prepared for Sunday’s home game against Kansas City.

“John Elway came in the other day and said something that was very important and a little bit how we were feeling too; it felt like we were pressing to make plays, trying to do a bunch of things that weren’t us,” Denver linebacker Mario Haggan told reporters in Denver on Friday. “He just talked to us and told us about his time and how everybody wanted to run him out of town too (laughing). He was in the same situation and they were 5-11 and the media tried to pack his bags too. He just told us what we believe — that the only thing we need to worry about is who is inside this building and that’s what we’re worrying about right now. (We’re) trying to keep everybody focused and go play the Chiefs.”

I covered Denver since 2004. This is the first time I heard that Elway, who played for Denver from 1983-98, has addressed the team in the past six years. I’m not saying this is the first time Elway has ever addressed the team. I just never heard of it before.

Haggan said Elway’s visit had an impact.

“The guy, he’s everything to this franchise,” Haggan said. “I think he’s probably the most popular guy ever for this franchise and to see him around, to have him talk to us and everybody was at attention -- the respect that he demanded -- everybody got down on a knee and listened to what he had to say. When you have an icon like that around to talk to you, it’s very important and a big deal.”

Elway has saved the Broncos plenty of times in the past. Perhaps he just did it again.

Pseudofool
11-13-2010, 01:47 AM
This. I know what the record is and even still I find it absurd that posters here doubt the integrity of the coach or the team. Such people, I hope, will juggle and backstep like the clowns they are--and if the system of instilling hard working, decent people (go blue collar) doesn't work--and it hurts to say this--I'm not sure I'm much of a fan anymore (25 years). The notion of integrity has spoiled me, and I'd rather root for Tebow than Phillip Rivers any day of the week (and the bible makes me cringe).

Culture changes take time if they are done right (is there a harder road from shallowness/selfishness to integrity/selflessness)--keep faith brothers, friends.

FISH
11-13-2010, 08:34 AM
This. I know what the record is and even still I find it absurd that posters here doubt the integrity of the coach or the team. Such people, I hope, will juggle and backstep like the clowns they are--and if the system of instilling hard working, decent people (go blue collar) doesn't work--and it hurts to say this--I'm not sure I'm much of a fan anymore (25 years). The notion of integrity has spoiled me, and I'd rather root for Tebow than Phillip Rivers any day of the week (and the bible makes me cringe).

Culture changes take time if they are done right (is there a harder road from shallowness/selfishness to integrity/selflessness)--keep faith brothers, friends.

ditto

bowtown
11-13-2010, 08:56 AM
this. I know what the record is and even still i find it absurd that posters here doubt the integrity of the coach or the team. Such people, i hope, will juggle and backstep like the clowns they are--and if the system of instilling hard working, decent people (go blue collar) doesn't work--and it hurts to say this--i'm not sure i'm much of a fan anymore (25 years). The notion of integrity has spoiled me, and i'd rather root for tebow than phillip rivers any day of the week (and the bible makes me cringe).

+1

Also, I love John Elway.

FISH
11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
+1

Also, I love John Elway.

Like LOVE love him?

Popps
11-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Excellent.

orangemonkey
11-13-2010, 09:09 AM

I don't doubt McDaniels' integrity but I definitely doubt his coaching and his plan. And it's absurd for someone not to understand that given his key failures and the product currently on the field. I'll say this, Bowlen needs to plug Elway deeper into this organization someway, somehow. Based on the above article, looks like they are on the right track.

Go Broncos!!!!

bowtown
11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Like LOVE love him?

Total full-blown homo for him.

baja
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Excellent post. I co-sign 100%

TheReverend
11-13-2010, 09:13 AM
everybody got down on a knee and listened to what he had to say

They better have averted their eyes too.

Dedhed
11-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Great Stuff.

Mogulseeker
11-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Part owner, eh?

It's always a good thing when the team is owned by a fan.

Mogulseeker
11-13-2010, 09:20 AM

Rep

gunns
11-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Yet Elway, who is interested in becoming a part owner of the team,

YES!

(We’re) trying to keep everybody focused and go play the Chiefs.”

Trying to stay focused? You have an occupation that is playing a game and making millions. Bronco fans are very loyal and as a Bronco fan it's not the losses that bother me, it's the way the losses are happening. I've been through a lot of Bronco losing years and all they did was give me hope for the next season. Not this year. You guys are playing like you've never played the game before and it seems like you are not focused or just don't care. Play like you want this job and are going to do the best you can. That's what we as Bronco fans ask for.

Haggan said Elway’s visit had an impact.

It damn well better have. That's the franchise and this year you guys have embarrassed the Broncos organization. Get busy and play like you are Broncos and damn proud of it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't doubt McDaniels' integrity but I definitely doubt his coaching and his plan. And it's absurd for someone not to understand that given his key failures and the product currently on the field. I'll say this, Bowlen needs to plug Elway deeper into this organization someway, somehow. Based on the above article, looks like they are on the right track.

Go Broncos!!!!

I would imagine it was McDaniels that asked to bring Elway in, not something that Bowlen did.

Just sayin'.

Broncoman13
11-13-2010, 09:36 AM
There was only one part of this article that caught my attention and was good news to me. John Elway, interested in becoming part owner of the team. AWESOME!

Bowlen is ready to pass on the operations part of the franchise. Elway could do that in Joe Ellis' position! The day he came in would be the day he spoke with McD and said some things are going to change around here. I like what you bring and you're staying. Your staff however is going to get a major face lift... don't worry, you can keep your brother, but he isn't going to be the QB Coach, he's going to be a Quality guy. Quality is where he should have earned his stripes anyway.

Next up, Brian Xanders, we have a spot on this team for you. You can help as a consultant to the new GM (to be named later). You understand the financial side of things and that will help in the future... we have a lot of moves to make to improve the quality of this team! The new GM will call the shots, hire the coaches (expect a new DC and OC), McCoy can be the QBs coach...which is where he belongs in the first place! I expect the GM will be familiar with each of your styles so that he bring in talented football players that can understand your philosophies... but I expect the HC and staff to make every effort to make a player fit or tweak the system to help the player(s) fit. No more dumping guys b/c they don't fit in 100% with what you're trying to do. We've dumped a little too much talent (even if I thought the guy was a giant f#*k stick, Cutler was talented as were Scheffler, Marshall, Hillis and Smith).

Really, I think Elway would come in and do a little re-org. I think he'd want McD to stay and I would agree provided we had a true org-structure with a GM on top that was empowered to make the critical decisions. I'm all for Elway being more involved and taking the place of Joe Ellis!

Broncoman13
11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I would imagine it was McDaniels that asked to bring Elway in, not something that Bowlen did.

Just sayin'.

I think this was a PR move by the Broncos to grease the skids of the "Elway to become part owner" story. Not sure who asked Elway to come talk to the team and not really sure I care whether it was Bowlen or McD.

A big part of this team's problem is identity. Not many members know what it's like to truly hate the Oakland Raiders. Think about how many first and second year Denver Broncos are on this team. You come into this current atmosphere, walk in to Invesco where the stands are emptying at halftime or the crowd is booing you... you may just mistake Denver for Cleveland! Most of the players on this team have not experienced success in Denver. They don't know what the community is like 90% of the time. They see a frustrated community... a community that doesn't really support the team like they have over the past 30 years! I can't imagine how frustrating that is for a guy like Champ Bailey who has seen how crazy a football town Denver is when the team shows promise. Is there anybody else on this team that has experienced success in Denver? DJ and Champ, are there more?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I think this was a PR move by the Broncos to grease the skids of the "Elway to become part owner" story. Not sure who asked Elway to come talk to the team and not really sure I care whether it was Bowlen or McD.

A big part of this team's problem is identity. Not many members know what it's like to truly hate the Oakland Raiders. Think about how many first and second year Denver Broncos are on this team. You come into this current atmosphere, walk in to Invesco where the stands are emptying at halftime or the crowd is booing you... you may just mistake Denver for Cleveland! Most of the players on this team have not experienced success in Denver. They don't know what the community is like 90% of the time. They see a frustrated community... a community that doesn't really support the team like they have over the past 30 years! I can't imagine how frustrating that is for a guy like Champ Bailey who has seen how crazy a football town Denver is when the team shows promise. Is there anybody else on this team that has experienced success in Denver? DJ and Champ, are there more?

I'm not so sure about the PR business you speak of. Isn't there still a right of first refusal clause from when Bowlen purchased the team? Wherein the former owner (Edgar Kaiser) had a chance to buy back shares of the team before Bowlen could sell to anyone else?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Looks like Kaiser's lost every appeal he's brought on the matter, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Dedhed
11-13-2010, 10:08 AM
There was only one part of this article that caught my attention and was good news to me. John Elway, interested in becoming part owner of the team. AWESOME!

Bowlen is ready to pass on the operations part of the franchise. Elway could do that in Joe Ellis' position! The day he came in would be the day he spoke with McD and said some things are going to change around here. I like what you bring and you're staying. Your staff however is going to get a major face lift... don't worry, you can keep your brother, but he isn't going to be the QB Coach, he's going to be a Quality guy. Quality is where he should have earned his stripes anyway.

Next up, Brian Xanders, we have a spot on this team for you. You can help as a consultant to the new GM (to be named later). You understand the financial side of things and that will help in the future... we have a lot of moves to make to improve the quality of this team! The new GM will call the shots, hire the coaches (expect a new DC and OC), McCoy can be the QBs coach...which is where he belongs in the first place! I expect the GM will be familiar with each of your styles so that he bring in talented football players that can understand your philosophies... but I expect the HC and staff to make every effort to make a player fit or tweak the system to help the player(s) fit. No more dumping guys b/c they don't fit in 100% with what you're trying to do. We've dumped a little too much talent (even if I thought the guy was a giant f#*k stick, Cutler was talented as were Scheffler, Marshall, Hillis and Smith).

Really, I think Elway would come in and do a little re-org. I think he'd want McD to stay and I would agree provided we had a true org-structure with a GM on top that was empowered to make the critical decisions. I'm all for Elway being more involved and taking the place of Joe Ellis!You must know Elway really well to have such insight into what he's going to do when he becomes an owner.

What did he tell you about his conversation with the team, he must have called you as soon as he was finished talking.

Dedhed
11-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Not sure who asked Elway to come talk to the team and not really sure I care whether it was Bowlen or McD.

That's because if you cared, and it turned out to be McDaniels, you'd have to give him credit and that's something you would never do.

Pseudofool
11-13-2010, 10:10 AM
You must know Elway really well to have such insight into what he's going to do when he becomes an owner.

What did he tell you about his conversation with the team, he must have called you as soon as he was finished talking.There's another alternative Broncoman13 could be something of an incubus, sneaking into elway's dreams and such. Actually, the dude having supernatural powers seems more likely than actually having friends, much less elway as one. :)

Broncoman13
11-13-2010, 10:11 AM
That's because if you cared, and it turned out to be McDaniels, you'd have to give him credit and that's something you would never do.

I am a McD supporter you twit. Get a life instead of trolling.

baja
11-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Really, I think Elway would come in and do a little re-org. I think he'd want McD to stay and I would agree provided we had a true org-structure with a GM on top that was empowered to make the critical decisions. I'm all for Elway being more involved and taking the place of Joe Ellis!

Just because John was a great player does not mean he would be a great FO man in any category. He is an unknown in that capacity.

vancejohnson82
11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
wait a second....where's go_broncos, dragster and everyone else that normally ruins threads with McD bashing?

since Elway supports the coach and teh team, isnt he an idiot? Or as go_broncos put it...since you support McDaniels you arent supporting the Broncos

cutthemdown
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
So DJ heard Elways pep talk then went out and got smashed? What day did Elway visit anyways? It just says the other day. I guess his speach didn't inspire DJ to watch some film that night!!

SoCalBronco
11-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Elway was by far my favorite athlete in sports, but I'm not sure that qualifies him to be GM, or GM in waiting of this team. Nostalgia is nice and all, but what we need is proven competent and experienced leadership at the GM spot. Elway simply doesn't have the college or pro scouting experience, or the cap and contracts experience or the crisis management experience to be an NFL GM. I don't want a figurehead at GM, I want a real GM who knows how to handle all of these things and has a good deal of experience in all areas of club management. This isn't the Arena League, this is the real deal. Based on his record (or lack thereof), he is not the best candidate, even though the heart says otherwise.We have to focus on being logical, not emotional.

Atwater His Ass
11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I cannot say I'd be looking forward to Elway being officially involved with the franchise as either an owner/coach/GM/etc.

I don't think anyone involved will be able to be objective due who John Elway is and his legacy with the team and could be a recipe for disaster.

baja
11-13-2010, 06:20 PM
So DJ heard Elways pep talk then went out and got smashed? What day did Elway visit anyways? It just says the other day. I guess his speach didn't inspire DJ to watch some film that night!!

So because DJ screwed up that is somehow Elway's fault or maybe Josh's fault?

crush17
11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't forget Elway has been a very successful business man in life after the NFL. He was part owner of the Crush, owned many auto dealerships which got bought out, and he also has been a successful restaurant owner.

I wouldn't be too worried about the front office stuff with him.

footstepsfrom#27
11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not so sure about the PR business you speak of. Isn't there still a right of first refusal clause from when Bowlen purchased the team? Wherein the former owner (Edgar Kaiser) had a chance to buy back shares of the team before Bowlen could sell to anyone else?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Looks like Kaiser's lost every appeal he's brought on the matter, so I guess it's a non-issue.
What are you reading that suggests it's a non-issue. The last I looked at this, this part of the contract was still enforceable. This was discussed at length in another thread that dealt with Bowlen's financial situation. If he's won something new in court over Kaiser I haven't heard of it, so please post something on this if you have it.

Circle Orange
11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Just because John was a great player does not mean he would be a great FO man in any category. He is an unknown in that capacity.

BLASPHEMY!

I hate to say it, but it's fire city for you, bub. Perdition and a flaming end await those who dare question the 7, hallowed be his number. :notworthy Have a care, lest pestilence and plague be thy lot.

besides, think of all the cool head shots of John in the booth on Monday night football. The commentators could get lots of mileage out of it.

Drek
11-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Elway was by far my favorite athlete in sports, but I'm not sure that qualifies him to be GM, or GM in waiting of this team. Nostalgia is nice and all, but what we need is proven competent and experienced leadership at the GM spot. Elway simply doesn't have the college or pro scouting experience, or the cap and contracts experience or the crisis management experience to be an NFL GM. I don't want a figurehead at GM, I want a real GM who knows how to handle all of these things and has a good deal of experience in all areas of club management. This isn't the Arena League, this is the real deal. Based on his record (or lack thereof), he is not the best candidate, even though the heart says otherwise.We have to focus on being logical, not emotional.

Anyone arguing that Elway should step in to run day to day football operations is crazy. But having him replace someone like Joe Ellis as the front man for the organization's general operations? That could make a lot of sense.

Elway has familiarity with the game on the field and the game in the front office and that familiarity could benefit us if he uses it to bring in some organizational assistance for McDaniels.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-14-2010, 08:31 AM
What are you reading that suggests it's a non-issue. The last I looked at this, this part of the contract was still enforceable. This was discussed at length in another thread that dealt with Bowlen's financial situation. If he's won something new in court over Kaiser I haven't heard of it, so please post something on this if you have it.

This is from the Westword in 2008.

Technically speaking, Canadian millionaire Edgar Kaiser sold his interest in the Denver Broncos to Pat Bowlen in 1984. But it’s been hard to let go -- especially as the team’s value has soared from the $60 million or so that Bowlen paid for it to more than a billion dollars today.

Almost a decade ago, Kaiser belatedly sued Bowlen, claiming he’d violated the terms of their deal by offering superstar quarterback John Elway a piece of the team. (Elway turned down the secret deal, but it was still on the table when he was stumping for a shiny new stadium on Pat's behalf.) Kaiser claimed a right of first refusal of any transfer of any smidgen of the franchise, and the resulting legal battle led to our 2002 piece, "Pat’s Big Fumble," which examined the complicated web of Bowlen family interests that actually controls the team.

In 2004, a federal jury awarded Kaiser the right to buy a 10 percent stake in the team at bargain-basement prices. But his victory later evaporated in a series of appeal decisions, including one from the Colorado Court of Appeals this week. That’s a tough loss, and there’s still a chance Kaiser could challenge the decision. But after oodles of legal fees (and, perhaps, plenty of regrets about the quick turnaround profit he made on the team in the early 1980s), it looks like the man in the fur coat gets to keep his very expensive toy. -- Alan Prendergast

From wikipedia:
Edgar F. Kaiser, Jr is a Canadian financier and a former owner of the Denver Broncos American football team.[1] He is the grandson of shipbuilding industrialist Henry J. Kaiser.

Kaiser purchased the Broncos from the Gerald Phipps’ family in 1981.[2] Kaiser sold his 60.8% share of the Broncos to current owner Pat Bowlen in 1984.[3] Kaiser sued Bowlen for violating the original sales’ agreement, which he contended granted him right of first purchase of any sale of shares in the team. Kaiser claimed Bowlen violated this agreement by offering former Broncos quarterback John Elway a 10% stake of the company that holds ownership of the team. In 2004, a jury ruled in favor of Kaiser and a Federal judge decreed that Kaiser was entitled to purchase back 10 percent of the Broncos using the identical purchase terms offered to Elway. [4] Bowlen appealed the original verdict that ruled in favor of Kaiser and won the appeal, as the appellate court ruled that the structure of the Bowlen-Elway deal did not violate the original agreement.

Bronco Yoda
11-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Looks like Elway still has the Bronco magic in him.

colonelbeef
11-15-2010, 08:01 AM
God, I miss watching that guy play

Houshyamama
11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I for one, never lost my faith in McDaniels. I'm on record saying he will turn this franchise into a perennial powerhouse. Patience is a virtue, mother****ers.

jhns
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM

You won't be a fan if McDaniels plan doesn't work? Wow, I guess I was right when I said most here are Denver McDaniels fans... Me? I would rather the team be good no matter how it happens. We didn't have angels everywhere when we won the SBs. Do you hate those teams? How can you hate the entire history of a franchise and call yourself a fan? No coach before McDaniels placed this big importance on good guys. No other coach in the league does it. Shoot, McDaniels only used that as justification for some moves that made the majority of the world scratch their heads. He now doesn't seem to care as much. DJ even played right after being arrested. Cox fell in the draft because he had character concers.

McDaniels is full of **** and so are you.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Indy's made a living off of players playing and living the right way.

For the most part, so has New England.

And when/if players became a problem, they were shipped out.

So your point is incorrect. But at least you're loud when you make it.

We didn't have angels everywhere when we were winning Super Bowls, but did we REALLY have troublemakers? I mean, did we have guys throwing hissy fits in practice, or demanding to be traded, or...? No. We did not. Why would anyone "hate" those teams?

Why is it always so black and white with jhns?

"How can you hate the entire history of a franchise and call yourself a fan?" How can you make such a horrendously stupid ****ing statement with a straight face?

jhns
11-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Indy's made a living off of players playing and living the right way.

For the most part, so has New England.

And when/if players became a problem, they were shipped out.

So your point is incorrect. But at least you're loud when you make it.

We didn't have angels everywhere when we were winning Super Bowls, but did we REALLY have troublemakers? I mean, did we have guys throwing hissy fits in practice, or demanding to be traded, or...? No. We did not. Why would anyone "hate" those teams?

Why is it always so black and white with jhns?

"How can you hate the entire history of a franchise and call yourself a fan?" How can you make such a horrendously stupid ****ing statement with a straight face?

LOL

Your post is so full of fail. The Colts' biggest leader wouldn't fit McDaniels agenda. He throws his own line under the bus. That isn't a team player...

As for our SB teams, those teams where built Shanahans way. That is exactly the way you guys are so glad we are getting away from. The teams greatest ever player wasn't a guy that just layed down and let the coach do whatever he wanted. He got traded to us because of this. He got another coach fired because of this. Romo spit in peoples faces and was not a nice guy...

You girls are pretty funny though. We are made up of hard working team players. That is why they have played worse than any team Shanahan ever had. I don't remember a Shanahan team losing 5 in a row or getting blown out 59-14 to a bad Raiders team...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Ah yes. The "agenda."

What a schmuck. I mean, if your post above doesn't show your true colors, I'm just not sure what else we could possibly be waiting on. You're such a blind ****ing retard, it's just become laughable.

Our SB teams were more than 10 years ago, remember? We were happy to get away from the zero character consideration days, sure, and maybe start building a team with some depth and fewer head-cases. What an awful thing for all of us to look forward to. And yeah, there are lumps along the way. I know you're a spoiled little ****, but being humbled the way we have been over the last several weeks can be a good thing moving forward. Just my personal opinion; I know the difference between an opinion and a fact.

Not entirely sure how we got off the topic of conversation, which was Elway coming to talk to the team, but jhns certainly has a way of derailing threads.

Sorry for my part in the derailment, everyone.

Pony Boy
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Elway and Jumbo Jesus in the same room......does it get ant better than that.

listopencil
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM

****, dude. DJ was probably Elways' designated driver that night.