PDA

View Full Version : Player's opinions of McD

mkporter
11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
DPO posted a Q&A with Brandon Lloyd, and he answered a question about what the players think of McD. Not that it matters if you don't win, but having guys on your team want to play for you is a good thing.

I'm curious about Coach McDaniels' personality. How is he around you guys? How is it different than what we see on TV or what we read about in the papers?
-- Joe, Greeley

BL: Coach McDaniels is a player. He's a player. And I think that's what may rub fans the wrong way. It's that he has so much intensity and so much passion and so much confidence, that he wears it on his sleeve just like a player. That's what we love about him, because it's intense, it's fun and it's emotional. It's all happening at the same time.

It's refreshing for me as a player who's been around older coaches, and being around the league for a while, to have this. It's refreshing.

Read more: Brandon Lloyd: Broncos receiver answers on McDaniels, Orton and disgruntled fans - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_16587925#ixzz155Tj6v15
Interestingly, Jack Nasty paints a different picture in his article on Slate.com, although I think he is bitter about how Mike Leach was dumped, as I seem to recall they were friends.

The same thing is happening in Denver, where Josh McDaniels is making another crop of freakishly talented football players hate their jobs. The resultóno big surprise hereóis a bad football team. That's what the Browns have been under Mangini and what the Broncos have been under McDaniels.
http://www.slate.com/id/2274230/entry/2274686/

Popps
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Even Brandon Marshall had nothing but good things to say about the staff, AFTER leaving.

People need drama that sometimes just doesn't exist.

supermanhr9
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, if they love playign for him so much, maybe she should start acting like it?

Homer Simpson
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I won't believe anything until I have heard from go_broncos and jhns.

NFLBRONCO
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
BL is also in a contract year and had a great year so that would make it easier to enjoy your HC. This stuff gets old though

zdoor
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
This thread will have the predictable outcome....

LRtagger
11-12-2010, 10:41 AM
What does Hillis think about all of this?

orangemonkey
It's great news that he's just a player like he rest of them, but he also lacks the head coaching experience to be effective. And why is it that Lloyd and Haggan seem to be the only ones speaking out about McDaniels' support?

bowtown
So much for the stupid theory that Lloyd and McDaniels secretly hate each other.

DelBronco
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
BL is also in a contract year and had a great year so that would make it easier to enjoy your HC. This stuff gets old though

Contract Information for Brandon Lloyd

3/5/2010: Signed a two-year, $2.05 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus.

2010: $755,000
2011: $795,000
2012: Free Agent

bowtown
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
It's great news that he's just a player like he rest of them, but he also lacks the head coaching experience to be effective. And why is it that Lloyd and Haggan seem to be the only ones speaking out about McDaniels' support?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably because they have been the only ones directly asked thus far.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm no expert, but it might be they were the only ones who were asked this question.

Or were you expecting to see players run up to reporters, screaming 'I wanna talk about McDaniels!'? That seems unlikely.

Rohirrim
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't know about this. I'll have to go substantiate this story on the light rail.

Jason in LA
11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Can we get some unnamed sources so we can get the real scoop. And fans aren't rubbed the wrong way by his personality, it's losing 14 out of 18 games.

orangemonkey
11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm no expert, but it might be they were the only ones who were asked this question.

Or were you expecting to see players run up to reporters, screaming 'I wanna talk about McDaniels!'? That seems unlikely. Yeah, stupid me, that's the way it was during my Pee Wee post game interviews, so naturally I thought this translated to the NFL.

So of all the post/pre game, practice interviews, these type of questions are limited to Lloyd/Haggan. Seems a bit odd.

oubronco
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM

:notworthy

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, stupid me, that's the way it was during my Pee Wee post game interviews, so naturally I thought this translated to the NFL.

So of all the post/pre game, practice interviews, these type of questions are limited to Lloyd/Haggan. Seems a bit odd.

Entirely possible (and likely) that the reporter asking this question only spoke with two players. Happens all the time.

Silly monkey. Pee Wee is different from the pros.

strafen
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I won't believe anything until I have heard from go_broncos and jhns.No need. Popps already made it official! :-* Ha!

strafen
11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
So much for the stupid theory that Lloyd and McDaniels secretly hate each other.If that would've really ben the case, he would've been long gone to CLE or DET.
Think about it...

NFLBRONCO
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Contract Information for Brandon Lloyd

3/5/2010: Signed a two-year, $2.05 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus.

2010: $755,000
2011: $795,000
2012: Free Agent

Thanks I thought it was 1 yr. Of course the year he's having he might request a raise.

jhns
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Why do people take this stuff seriously? You guys do realize that players like Champ went on and on about how Slowik is the best teacher they have ever had and how he was great to work for, right? They don't tell the truth and will always stick up for those on the team. This isn't new....

Triplelefthook
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Can we get some unnamed sources so we can get the real scoop. And fans aren't rubbed the wrong way by his personality, it's losing 14 out of 18 games.

This

Kaylore
11-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Actually the people that really hated him from the beginning did just hate his personality (and he traded their boyfriends.)

jhns
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Actually the people that really hated him from the beginning did just hate his personality (and he traded their boyfriends.)

Or they hated him after seeing how he handles an offseason. I could be a better GM than McDaniels and I don't even know wtf I'm doing.

Chris
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I think it was more they missed the red leather texture of Shanahan's balls.

TheReverend
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
So much for the stupid theory that Lloyd and McDaniels secretly hate each other.

Lol, this didn't really happen did it?

bowtown
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2968696#post2968696

HILife
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM

go_broncos: FiRE the COACH!

jhns: FIRE THE COACH TWICE!

feel better.

barryr
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I doubt many players on this team dislike McDaniels. This is just a team with many injuries and the 2 best players on defense are in their mid 30's in Champ and Dawkins. They are what they are right now, which isn't something wonderful to say the least.

DBroncos4life
11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Even Brandon Marshall had nothing but good things to say about the staff, AFTER leaving.

People need drama that sometimes just doesn't exist.

People need wins that don't exist....

go_broncos
11-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I remember player's supporting and saying good things about Rod Marinelli when they went 0-16.

strafen
11-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Actually the people that really hated him from the beginning did just hate his personality (and he traded their boyfriends.)This!
And we're 2-6 to prove it...

strafen
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it was more they missed the red leather texture of Shanahan's balls.Ahem...
May I ask you how do you know this to the most intimate details?
Care to come clean and tell the truth?

Popps
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

You have to ask?

Look at the URL address at the top of your screen.

Popps
11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
People need wins that don't exist....

Plenty of coaches lose games without being at odds with their players.

Let's stay on topic.

That is unless you have some valuable information about the conspiracy to contribute.

Archer81
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Care to come clean and tell the truth?

Speaking of...

Why did you change your screen name again?

:Broncos:

strafen
11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Speaking of...

Why did you change your screen name again?

:Broncos:Because you're gay...

Tombstone RJ
11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
dragster, dragging threads down again. Thanks Omane, thanks for more of same old crap.

Que
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't know about this. I'll have to go substantiate this story on the light rail.

Lightrail says "maybe"

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
dragster, dragging threads down again. Thanks Omane, thanks for more of same old crap.

Orange Mane mods: Sitting on their hands since 2002.

baja
11-12-2010, 06:44 PM
DPO posted a Q&A with Brandon Lloyd, and he answered a question about what the players think of McD. Not that it matters if you don't win, but having guys on your team want to play for you is a good thing.

Interestingly, Jack Nasty paints a different picture in his article on Slate.com, although I think he is bitter about how Mike Leach was dumped, as I seem to recall they were friends.

Nice thread!!

I like this part;

Can you tell me the difference in catching Kyle Orton's passes vs. Tim Tebow's? Do Orton's passes get to you faster or can Tebow sling the ball around with the same, or more, velocity?
-- Mike, Portland

BL: I think Tebow throws with more velocity. But more velocity isn't the key to being a successful quarterback. The key is to know when to throw with velocity and when not to. A lot of times people think that on short passes you want to throw with more velocity, but it's really more than a timing throw. If a guy is 6 or 8 yards away, you don't really need to zip it in there, you need to throw it on time so that when the guys turns around to catch it, it's there, nice and easy to catch.
Kyle throws the most-catchable pass I've ever caught, from any quarterback. Catching a pass is muscle memory, and every single catch I've made in a game, I've seen 1,000 times. So I'm not really looking at the ball all the way. So if the ball moves funny or it's a really windy day, you'll see a lot of drops. That's not because the guys aren't focused, it's because catching the ball is muscle memory. That's why having a consistent ball and knowing where it's going to be is so important. That's why Kyle is so good. The ball comes in natural and you don't have to put a lot of effort into watching it into your hands.

Popps
11-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Popps
11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice thread!!

I like this part;

Can you tell me the difference in catching Kyle Orton's passes vs. Tim Tebow's? Do Orton's passes get to you faster or can Tebow sling the ball around with the same, or more, velocity?
-- Mike, Portland

BL: I think Tebow throws with more velocity. But more velocity isn't the key to being a successful quarterback. The key is to know when to throw with velocity and when not to. A lot of times people think that on short passes you want to throw with more velocity, but it's really more than a timing throw. If a guy is 6 or 8 yards away, you don't really need to zip it in there, you need to throw it on time so that when the guys turns around to catch it, it's there, nice and easy to catch.
Kyle throws the most-catchable pass I've ever caught, from any quarterback. Catching a pass is muscle memory, and every single catch I've made in a game, I've seen 1,000 times. So I'm not really looking at the ball all the way. So if the ball moves funny or it's a really windy day, you'll see a lot of drops. That's not because the guys aren't focused, it's because catching the ball is muscle memory. That's why having a consistent ball and knowing where it's going to be is so important. That's why Kyle is so good. The ball comes in natural and you don't have to put a lot of effort into watching it into your hands.

Clearly, Brandon hasn't been reading the Orange Mane, where it's common knowledge that Kyle has a noodle arm.

baja
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably because they have been the only ones directly asked thus far.

What's that got to do with it.

Don't you read go_broncos and jhns those are the guys with the facts....

DBroncos4life
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Plenty of coaches lose games without being at odds with their players.

Let's stay on topic.

That is unless you have some valuable information about the conspiracy to contribute.

Well as long as the players are ****ing happy!

Atwater His Ass
11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Or they hated him after seeing how he handles an offseason. I could be a better GM than McDaniels and I don't even know wtf I'm doing.

The real question isn't if you have any qualifications or experience, but can you make a sweet power point presentation with like graphics and sound effects? And can you be really, and I mean REALLY excited when you give it?

Bonus if you can make **** slide in from different angles or have sweet ass slide transitions.

orinjkrush
11-12-2010, 10:05 PM
"freakishly talented"?
lmao.

HAT
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Because you're gay...

Keep winding him up Chris.....You've almost got him. One or two more jabs from you and his inner homophobe will come out (pun intended) & get him banned for a while. We are all rooting for you.

Taco John
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM

This one is new to me. Link?

KipCorrington25
11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
They certainly didn't play like they loved him against Oakland, in fact the way they rolled over and quit I'd be more prone to think they hated him because at this rate they are going to get him fired pretty soon here.

Taco John
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
They certainly didn't play like they loved him against Oakland, in fact the way they rolled over and quit I'd be more prone to think they hated him because at this rate they are going to get him fired pretty soon here.

Yeah, but when they played San Francisco, they put up 16 points and only gave up 24 - so that's kind of like bouncing back with a vengance. We have to be worried that we're facing a let down game this week after that courageous performance. I'm hoping that the bye week makes the difference here.

_Oro_
11-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I love WRs always talking up their QBs.

Archer81
11-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Because you're gay...

Hmm. I am amazed that you latch on to the gay thing. It makes me wonder if you are projecting.

Anyhoo...

Why did you change your screen name? Was it shame because you are a complete and utter ass bag?

:Broncos:

bowtown
11-12-2010, 11:47 PM
This one is new to me. Link?

I already provided it in this thread.

strafen
11-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah, but when they played San Francisco, they put up 16 points and only gave up 24 - so that's kind of like bouncing back with a vengance. We have to be worried that we're facing a let down game this week after that courageous performance. I'm hoping that the bye week makes the difference here.They need to do something.
We're on a 4-game losing streak. The third 4-game losing streak under McDaniels in two years...
It's started to be disturbing...

Pseudofool
11-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Look, I know people are impatient. and demanding results is perfectly reasonable. But what we're really after is sustainable results, and pershaps we have a coach who is always looking at the end game--not the year we make the playoffs and lose in teh first round, but the year we ****ing win the superbowl. The reasons I admire Josh McDaniels is because I am also a teacher, and he talks like a teacher who actually teaches (of which there are so few--you have no idea). Josh's passion is a secondary asset though it might be noted before his teaching ability--that said, passion is way important for any cultural movement (and let's be real, changing a the way a team identifies itself, the way it configures not only among the league but also among the community). Yes, football demands that we create a small society of humans with different roles. Josh is waaaay good at not only articulating his plan, but moralizing his plan. He's not a cheat or a phoney. And I know in my profession that non-phoneys get punished--creative thinking and methodology are seen as risky or something that a careerist might earn.

Sure it's taking longer than we thought (Imagine what McD is thinking) but we've got integrity, pride, and the knowledge that we have a real, palatable future (felt especially by the players) with Josh McDaniels as coach.

I've said this before: what if the proof isn't in the pudding. And to add: what if the pudding takes a hot minute to set.

baja
11-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Look, I know people are impatient. and demanding results is perfectly reasonable. But what we're really after is sustainable results, and pershaps we have a coach who is always looking at the end game--not the year we make the playoffs and lose in teh first round, but the year we ****ing win the superbowl. The reasons I admire Josh McDaniels is because I am also a teacher, and he talks like a teacher who actually teaches (of which there are so few--you have no idea). Josh's passion is a secondary asset though it might be noted before his teaching ability--that said, passion is way important for any cultural movement (and let's be real, changing a the way a team identifies itself, the way it configures not only among the league but also among the community). Yes, football demands that we create a small society of humans with different roles. Josh is waaaay good at not only articulating his plan, but moralizing his plan. He's not a cheat or a phoney. And I know in my profession that non-phoneys get punished--creative thinking and methodology are seen as risky or something that a careerist might earn.

Sure it's taking longer than we thought (Imagine what McD is thinking) but we've got integrity, pride, and the knowledge that we have a real, palatable future (felt especially by the players) with Josh McDaniels as coach.

I've said this before: what if the proof isn't in the pudding. And to add: what if the pudding takes a hot minute to set.

Nice try but they can't hear you because they are screaming too loud.