PDA

View Full Version : Snippet about Bailey Contract

zdoor
11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
From DPO:

First off, as much as I admire Champ Bailey's loyalty, he'd be stupid to hang around longer then this year. I'd love him to retire a Bronco, but this team is nowhere near championship caliber. He should get his well deserved ring elsewhere. Do you see him here or elsewhere in 2011? Thanks.
-- Paul, Boulder

Paul - Unless the Broncos apply the franchise tag on Bailey — which does make business sense as it would secure him for one more year — I see him moving on. After management pulled out of contract talks just as an agreement was near last month, Bailey will no longer give the Broncos the so-called "home discount." He was going to take a four-year deal worth between $42 million and $44 million — which on an average basis, would have been less than the $13 million he's making this year. It's also well below the elite cornerback rate.

The Broncos got cold feet because Bailey is 32, and he'll be 36 in what would have been the final year of that contract. His contract will expire at a time when the team recognizes it must get younger. By month's end, the Broncos will have seven defensive starters and four offensive regulars who are 30-something. Don't be surprised if four, five or six of those players don't return.

Sucks but I tend to agree that Champ is likely in a different uni next year...

Hercules Rockefeller
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Paul - Unless the Broncos apply the franchise tag on Bailey — which does make business sense as it would secure him for one more year — I see him moving on. After management pulled out of contract talks just as an agreement was near last month, Bailey will no longer give the Broncos the so-called "home discount." He was going to take a four-year deal worth between $42 million and $44 million — which on an average basis, would have been less than the $13 million he's making this year. It's also well below the elite cornerback rate.

That logic is retarded, we're using the last year of a backend deal as the basis going forward?

How about we point out that $13M a year is $4M higher than the average in his last contract and he's 7 years older now?

SoDak Bronco
11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Another bad move by the FO, I am starting to see a trend here.

baja
11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
If we want to get younger than it was even more stupid to not sign him and retain the option to trade him. He will just walk with no compensation now.

TheReverend
That logic is retarded, we're using the last year of a backend deal as the basis going forward?

How about we point out that $13M a year is $4M higher than the average in his last contract and he's 7 years older now?

Totally true, but that contract was also over half a decade ago and the market has absolutely changed.

rbackfactory80
Yeah I think its over. Let him go, its better for him. He has been a model professional on and off the field. I appreciate all he has brought to this team but holding onto him probably is not in the best interest of either party.

jhns
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Why don't you finish their logic and talk about how it is less than what other top corners are making. If you haven't noticed, the average pay for players has gone up a lot over the last 7 years.

This would not help this front office gain support.

Garcia Bronco
11-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Their isn't going to be a season next year. Champ will be another year older. Let him walk or move him to Saftey.

zdoor
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Their isn't going to be a season next year. Champ will be another year older. Let him walk or move him to Saftey.

I would much prefer we keep him and move him to safety in a couple years ala Rod Woodson. He's been a great player and team guy... But, I think the chances are slim...

baja
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Another bad move by the FO, I am starting to see a trend here.

The 'now you see it now you don't ' contract of Champ's tells me there is no clear leadership on the Broncos now. Pat seems adrift and has no clear decision maker in his place. It feels like maybe his kids are taking a money only interest in the Broncos. They likely are all about the money and are exercising influence on Pat to enrichen their inheritance.

Gort
yup! i think he's gone too. the Broncos are not going to contend any time soon. Champ needs to move on to greener pastures to find that elusive SB ring. his best chance here was in 2005. we won't be sniffing another AFCC game for at least a couple of years and maybe much longer.

still, i'd like Bowlen to approach him about what he plans to do after his playing days are over. he's gonna end up on the ring of fame and if Champ wants to coach, i'd rather we get him "interning" here rather than with Shanny in DC. Champ could make an excellent defensive backs coach someday, especially at teaching young players how to play the game correctly (e.g., take pride in tackling and put in the work to get better).

lostknight
The second the team (or rather Ellis, since McDaniels disavowed this particular decision) stopped the negotiation, it became almost inevitable that Champ would go somewhere else. The only scenario I see that has Champ back in Denver is if the market for corners is cold this next year.

TheReverend
11-09-2010, 09:05 AM
yup! i think he's gone too. the Broncos are not going to contend any time soon. Champ needs to move on to greener pastures to find that elusive SB ring. his best chance here was in 2005. we won't be sniffing another AFCC game for at least a couple of years and maybe much longer.

still, i'd like Bowlen to approach him about what he plans to do after his playing days are over. he's gonna end up on the ring of fame and if Champ wants to coach, i'd rather we get him "interning" here rather than with Shanny in DC. Champ could make an excellent defensive backs coach someday, especially at teaching young players how to play the game correctly (e.g., take pride in tackling and put in the work to get better).

A guy with his kind of money would have to be certifiably insane to start coaching.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Peyton Manning will be gone too, right?

spdirty
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Well at least now we know what stud/star will be leaving the team this offseason.

footstepsfrom#27
11-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm sure gonne miss seeing him play in Denver.

oubronco
11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I wonder if Popps will start bashing Bailey and such if he chooses to move on

tsiguy96
11-09-2010, 09:18 AM
sad, for sure. i guess i understand given weve extended 2 guys and there may not even be football next year, but if you have a chance to extend bailey at hometown discount, you do it, you cant replace him.

gyldenlove
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I will be keeping my Bailey jersey, even if he leaves this offseason he is one of the guys I am proud has been a Bronco.

Mile High Shack
11-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I think Bailey got lucky we pulled the contract away (way to go Ellis, you douche) since now, he will probably sign with a contender next year instead of a perennial loser like us (with Josh in charge)

Ray Finkle
11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
meh....let's wait until the offseason to think about this.

Last year during the season everyone was talking about Doom and Kupe walking.

PRBronco
11-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I never want to see Champ leave, but I'm of the school of thought that cornerback is not where you want to sink all your cap space any more. It's all about the pass rush since Ty Law's molestation of Colts receivers went too far and made them actually start enforcing the rules :(

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
If there's football next year, they'll franchise him. If not, they're off the hook for paying top dollar to a 34-36 year old learning a new position (let's not forget that it took HOFer Rod Woodson one-two years to fully "get it" after the switch). I love what Champ has done as much as the next guy, but I really don't see the downside here.

HAT
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I think Bailey got lucky we pulled the contract away (way to go Ellis, you douche) since now, he will probably sign with a contender next year instead of a perennial loser like us (with Josh in charge)

a : persistent, enduring <perennial favorites>
b : continuing without interruption : constant, perpetual <the perennial quest for certainty> <a perennial student>
c : regularly repeated or renewed : recurrent <death is a perennial literary theme>
— perennial noun
— pe·ren·ni·al·ly\-nē-ə-lē\ adverb

2009: 8-8
2010: ?-?

fontaine
11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
It's too early to start pointing fingers at the FO on Bailey's situation.

I remain confident that they'll try to get him resigned at some point.

~Crash~
11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
If we want to get younger than it was even more stupid to not sign him and retain the option to trade him. He will just walk with no compensation now.

this ... the contact would of made him great trade bait

bowtown
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
If there's football next year, they'll franchise him. If not, they're off the hook for paying top dollar to a 34-36 year old learning a new position (let's not forget that it took HOFer Rod Woodson one-two years to fully "get it" after the switch). I love what Champ has done as much as the next guy, but I really don't see the downside here.

Yep.

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
this ... the contact would of made him great trade bait

Recent NFL history has shown that there's no better trade bait than a franchise tag.

24champ
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm sure gonne miss seeing him play in Denver.

Me too but everyone needs to move on. Just negotiations aren't going to work out, the Broncos had their chance to lock him up for 3 years now and didn't get it done.

baja
11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Recent NFL history has shown that there's no better trade bait than a franchise tag.

If you have a cooperative player going to a team he want's t play for and is willing to sign a new deal. Franchise tags can be for a lot of money.

I don't understand why you say that.

NFLBRONCO
11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
We all are going to miss Champ greatly.

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't understand why you say that.

Because of an article I was reading the other day. It said that over half the players franchised in the last 5 years have been subsequently traded.

kamakazi_kal
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
We all are going to miss Champ greatly.

too bad our first rou .....errr ... second round CB didn't pan out.

_Oro_
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
too bad our first rou .....errr ... second round CB didn't pan out.

I can just see it now. Our CB's are going to suck for the next decade while Al goes on to have a hall of fame career, just to spite McD.

RunSilentRunDeep
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure Champ will find an offer in free agency better than the "hometown discount" the Broncos were offering. I wonder how many fifth-year players had to suck it up and sign the one-year tender and may finally be free. The free agent class could be extra big and young -- not a time to go spend huge dollars on an aging CB/newbie safety.

Broncos_OTM
11-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Peyton Manning will be gone too, right?

I dont know where you got your info but last i heard Payton had pulled the plug on a contract because of the labor dispute.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peyton-Manning-contract-extension-likely-to-come-after-the-season-110110