PDA

View Full Version : CU Fans: Hawkins out, tomorrow

tsiguy96
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
VicLombardi

Just got it confirmed from a source within the CU Regent's office: Hawkins is out. Announcement tomorrow.
2 minutes ago via web

tsiguy96
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
leading up to this:

VicLombardi

If that is indeed case, I find the timing a bit odd since Hawk did participate in the Big 12 conference call today.
about 1 hour ago via web
Reply Retweet

VicLombardi
I have not received confirmation from the CU administration, but we've learned from a highly-placed source that tomorrow's the day.
about 1 hour ago via web

Dudeskey
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Hopefully to be followed by Mike Bohn!

Archer81
11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Huh.

That sucks for his son...how else will he play?

:Broncos:

Dudeskey
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Huh.

That sucks for his son...how else will he play?

So does this mean Klatt's record is safe?

worm
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Finally.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I said today after hearing about the 4th Q beatdown. I'd tell the AD that either Hawkins is gone today or they are both gone.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 07:12 PM
There's no one to replace Cody, he'll play out the season unless he quits or get hurt.

Dudeskey
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I said today after hearing about the 4th Q beatdown. I'd tell the AD that either Hawkins is gone today or they are both gone.

At this juncture, the AD has no business being there either. The way he's run the athletic dept, I wouldn't trust him with a frozen pizza. He'd find a way to **** that up too.

theAPAOps5
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
3 years too late but Glory Glory Hallelujah

Goobzilla
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Who do we get?

Bieniemy? Brian Cabral? Troy Calhoun? Jon Embree? Dave Logan? Bill McCartney? Les Miles?

None of the above?

spdirty
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
There were rumblings that we kept passing against Kansas so that Cody could get the passing record. And if true, that in itself should ensure Hawk never gets another job coaching again.

But its about friggin time. Please God bring McCartney in here. He is the only one that has a chance to get these academic ****s in line.

bpc
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Thank god one of my teams is finally getting it right!

Archer81
11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Thank god one of my teams is finally getting it right!

Chicago Bears?

I kid, I kid...:afro:

bpc
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Chicago Bears?

I kid, I kid...:afro:

Or Skins, or Browns, or whatever deflection team Popps can come up with.

Seriously though, i don't know of any fans that are more tortured over the past two years vs. Bronco/Buff fans. The football and off-field controversies have been horrendous. I've never been so productive on my fall weekends.

Archer81
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Seriously though, i don't know of any fans that are more tortured over the past two years vs. Bronco/Buff fans. The football and off-field controversies have been horrendous. I've never been so productive on my fall weekends.

Silver lining. I like it.

Every team has rough patches. Things change.

Rohirrim
11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
!Booya! Bout ****ing time! :woowoo:

bpc
11-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver lining. I like it.

Every team has rough patches. Things change.

Not like this they don't, not two at a time.

We're managing. Now if Bowl... I mean Joe Ellis can sack up like Bohner did, i'll be a very happy man celebrating an early Christmas gift with both of my teams going in positive directions.

Homer Simpson
11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Colorado sports fans, the Buffs, the Broncos, the Nuggets Melo' nonsense, the Avs are mediocre.

Hooray for the Colorado Rapids! In the Eastern (?) playoff final!

spdirty
11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Dan Hawkins out as Colorado coach, source says

By John Henderson
The Denver Post (jhenderson@denverpost.com?subject=The%20Denver%20 Post:%20Dan%20Hawkins%20out%20as%20Colorado%20coac h,%20source%20says)
Posted: 11/08/2010 09:01:12 PM MST
Updated: 11/08/2010 09:16:14 PM MST

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/1108/20101108__Dhawkins110810b%7Ep1_300.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=3394372 )Dan Hawkins (Denver Post file photo)

University of Colorado football coach Dan Hawkins is on his way out, with an official announcement Tuesday, according to a source close to the situation.

Hawkins will meet with his players Tuesday, a source confirmed, after which an announcement is expected. Associate head coach Brian Cabral is expected to be promoted to interim head coach for the final three games, the source said.

Hawkins' ouster has been a foregone conclusion for weeks. He was nearly fired a year ago, and his team is 3-6 overall, 0-5 in the Big 12 Conference and on Saturday blew a 28-point fourth-quarter lead at Kansas.

University president Bruce Benson would neither confirm or deny Hawkins' ouster when reached by phone Monday night.

"It's all the rumor mill, so let them keep rumoring," Benson said from New York, where he and chancellor Phil DiStefano are meeting with donors. "We're not going to talk about anything right now."

Hawkins is 19-39 overall at Colorado, and the Buffs have never finished with a winning record under his leadership.

An athletic department source said Monday that Hawkins met with athletic director Mike Bohn, who could not be reached for comment. CU sports information director Dave Plati said he had not been told to call a news conference.

Benson, however, did say he, DiStefano and Bohn have talked about "different approaches and different avenues." Benson echoed DiStefano in saying the firing would be Bohn's call.

Asked when his administration will make a public statement on the matter, he said, "Let's just say soon."

The season hit rock bottom when the Buffaloes blew a 45-17 lead in the fourth quarter as Kansas, the worst offensive team in the league, scored 35 unanswered points to win, 52-45.

Read more: Dan Hawkins out as Colorado coach, source says - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16559618#ixzz14kuiWcLo) http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16559618#ixzz14kuiWcLo

Rohirrim
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Let Cabral finish out the season and then go after the guy they should have gone after the first time, Chris Petersen.

spdirty
11-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Let Cabral finish out the season and then go after the guy they should have gone after the first time, Chris Petersen.

Why would Chris Peterson want to come here?

Rohirrim
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Why would Chris Peterson want to come here?

Mountain West or Pac 12? Bigger stage. Bigger coverage. Better level of player. More money. No more getting treated like a red headed step-child by the BCS.

spdirty
11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Mountain West or Pac 12? Bigger stage. Bigger coverage. Better level of player. More money. No more getting treated like a red headed step-child by the BCS.

Can't get the stud recruit because they don't meet your schools academic standards. Egghead profs that want the football program to die. Bruce Benson. Mike Bohn. Phil DiStefano. No commitment from the top. Extremely fickle fan base. Much tougher schedule year after year.

I would be much more optimistic if Gordon Gee was still president.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I'll never feel passionate about the Buffs. But damn I would love for them to be able to compete. I would like to go to big game there once and awhile.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Anyone who mentions Dave Logan as a possibility should never post again on the topic.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Can't get the stud recruit because they don't meet your schools academic standards. Egghead profs that want the football program to die. Bruce Benson. Mike Bohn. Phil DiStefano. No commitment from the top. Extremely fickle fan base. Much tougher schedule year after year.

I would be much more optimistic if Gordon Gee was still president.

They haven't had a recruit under Hawk denied admission if they make it passed the Clearinghouse. They might have pussed out on firing him last year, but the Admin is not denying guys in the past like it happened under Neu or GB.

NFLBRONCO
11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone who mentions Dave Logan as a possibility should never post again on the topic.

No doubt he's a phil Jackson type. Look at the teams in HS he has coached they were all good programs at the time. He wouldn't take over a sinking ship.

spdirty
11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
No doubt he's a phil Jackson type. Look at the teams in HS he has coached they were all good programs at the time. He wouldn't take over a sinking ship.

Yes he would.

Lev Vyvanse
11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Dave Logan is a possibility. Recruiting in state would be off the charts.

theAPAOps5
11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I think Eric Bieniemy is a strong possibility. I think they will look someone familiar with the dynamics of coaching in that ass backward environment.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Coach Mac back for a season or too where he then transitions to AD and he grooms someone like Bieniemy.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Ooooooooh, recruiting in a state that might produce 1 blue chip recruit a year would off the charts. That would definitely offset the "Who the **** is Dave Logan" responses when he calls recruits that actually produce a large amount of D1 talent yearly.

Lev Vyvanse
11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Ooooooooh, recruiting in a state that might produce 1 blue chip recruit a year would off the charts. That would definitely offset the "Who the **** is Dave Logan" responses when he calls recruits that actually produce a large amount of D1 talent yearly.

Like I said, we would get them both every year.

extralife
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Hawkins is the worst coach I have seen in any sport at any level. He brought nothing to to the table for five solid years. Nothing.

Florida_Bronco
11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I can remember when Colorado fans thought this guy would be their savior.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM

And you guys thought the same of Callahan at the time too.

enjolras
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
They haven't had a recruit under Hawk denied admission if they make it passed the Clearinghouse. They might have pussed out on firing him last year, but the Admin is not denying guys in the past like it happened under Neu or GB.

They didn't fire him last year because they simply couldn't afford it. It's amazing how few people in Colorado realize just how dire our funding for higher education is (49th in the nation for those keeping track at home).

NFLBRONCO
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
They didn't fire him last year because they simply couldn't afford it. It's amazing how few people in Colorado realize just how dire our funding for higher education is (49th in the nation for those keeping track at home).

Yep and did not realize he was under contract til 2013 damn.

Lev Vyvanse
11-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Speaking of "I remember when", thats one hell of a nice avatar your sporting.

extralife
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM

as if funding for higher education should go to pay exorbitant severance packages to terrible football coaches rather than, you know, hire professors (or pay them more) or lower tuition costs. who could possibly care about those things.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Anyone who follows the program closely knows that:

The AD has been in the black the past few seasons, it's not as broke as people are led to believe
The AD gets very little money from the school, it mostly has to self fund
Donors had committed the funds to a buyout if the school decided to do it

But you did hit on the reason why he wasn't bought out, even though it's not the reason you claim it is. It doesn't look good to the State Legislature when the school president goes hat in hand and asks for an increase in funding when you just approved a $3M buyout of the football coach.

manchambo
11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I can say, without exaggeration, that he has demonstrated the most incompetent in-game coaching of any high-level coach I've seen. He consistently makes decisions that would get a high school coach fired. It is simply mind boggling that he can be such a poor decision maker. And of course he also appears to be bad, or at best mediocre, at every other aspect of coaching. At this point, I don't think they had any choice but to fire him because it is unfair to the players to subject them to that kind of leadership for another game.

And, although there is no way to prove it, the theory that he's trying to get his son the passing record makes quite a bit of sense. Aside from the obvious problem with a coach going for records instead of wins, it shows an astonishing lack of respect for the program. There is no way that Cody Hawkins, who seems like a fine person but is at best mediocre in every way, and who has been involved in perhaps the most pathetic, embarrassing team in the history of the school, should hold any records there. If he does get the record, I would advocate placing some type of asterisk to note that he got those yards while losing twice as many games as he won, literally never winning on the road, playing huge stretches of garbage time where the team was hopelessly behind and simply flinging the ball around, and having his dad calling plays in a manner that at times could only be explained by an attempt to get him the record (and compare that to the play calling with Hanson in against Baylor, a game they could have easily won but for the fact that Hawkins inexplicably refused to throw the ball almost at all).

strafen
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd like to see Bienemy as the new head coach for the Buffs.
Emnree has been mentioned also as a possible candidate...

enjolras
11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Anyone who follows the program closely knows that:

The AD has been in the black the past few seasons, it's not as broke as people are led to believe
The AD gets very little money from the school, it mostly has to self fund
Donors had committed the funds to a buyout if the school decided to do it

But you did hit on the reason why he wasn't bought out, even though it's not the reason you claim it is. It doesn't look good to the State Legislature when the school president goes hat in hand and asks for an increase in funding when you just approved a $3M buyout of the football coach.

That was the implication... I never really claimed otherwise did I? It's exactly the issue. How do you buyout your football coach when your cutting staff and raising tuition 20-something percent (which will be happening this year)? Of course that's the issue.

enjolras
11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh and hire Mike Leach.

spdirty
11-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I can say, without exaggeration, that he has demonstrated the most incompetent in-game coaching of any high-level coach I've seen. He consistently makes decisions that would get a high school coach fired. It is simply mind boggling that he can be such a poor decision maker. And of course he also appears to be bad, or at best mediocre, at every other aspect of coaching. At this point, I don't think they had any choice but to fire him because it is unfair to the players to subject them to that kind of leadership for another game.

And, although there is no way to prove it, the theory that he's trying to get his son the passing record makes quite a bit of sense. Aside from the obvious problem with a coach going for records instead of wins, it shows an astonishing lack of respect for the program. There is no way that Cody Hawkins, who seems like a fine person but is at best mediocre in every way, and who has been involved in perhaps the most pathetic, embarrassing team in the history of the school, should hold any records there. If he does get the record, I would advocate placing some type of asterisk to note that he got those yards while losing twice as many games as he won, literally never winning on the road, playing huge stretches of garbage time where the team was hopelessly behind and simply flinging the ball around, and having his dad calling plays in a manner that at times could only be explained by an attempt to get him the record (and compare that to the play calling with Hanson in against Baylor, a game they could have easily won but for the fact that Hawkins inexplicably refused to throw the ball almost at all).

Do you think he's qualified to go coach intramurals?

Lev Vyvanse
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh and hire Mike Leach.

That would be a nightmare. The community would have pitchforks and torches ready as soon as he stepped foot on campus. The whole "fat little girlfriend" comments would play over real well.

extralife
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd like to see Bienemy as the new head coach for the Buffs.
Emnree has been mentioned also as a possible candidate...

My ideal world would have McCartney come back for a few years with Bienemy as his OC waiting to take over. I don't know that Eric would go for that, but it wouldn't hurt to make the phone call.

ZONA
11-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Basically, when Oklahoma had their FRESHMAN in the game and they were still kicking the CU starters' asses, that was the writing on the wall. Along with that abismal road record.

They're going to the PAC12 next year and I think they want to start with a clean slate. Hawk can go coach some place like East Valley Methodist State.........hahahaha.

24champ
11-09-2010, 02:19 AM
CU needs a coach with California ties, since they would be moving to the PAC-12 and playing in the same division as USC/UCLA. At this point, all I can think of is Mike Leach...while he is an oddball...so is the CU community. Should fit right in.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 05:26 AM
I love terms like "academic ****s" when talking about a COLLEGE football team.

Broncoman13
11-09-2010, 05:55 AM
A Mike Leach coached team would fit very well in the Pac-12. Not sure Colorado could stomach Leach, but he could certainly turn the program around.

Somebody mentioned Les Miles... why would Les Miles leave one of the top 3 or 4 programs in all of College Football? LA is a hotbed for talent, LSU is right there along with the Texas, Alabama, and Ohio St... he would be crazy to leave LSU unless he was going to one of those three schools!

I like the idea of Bienemy though I don't know if he could bring instant success. Great coach, but he may be more suited for an OC position at this point and that would be a step up in responsibility. Great position coach, great alumn, and great motivator but way too many unknowns to put him up top and in charge of turning around a failing program. How do you know he can even recruit? He is a household name in Colorado, but outside of Colorado he's not much more than a John Marshall or Fred Thompson.

I'd start looking at schools like Oregon and Stanford and think about "stealing" one of their coordinators. You can also safely assume that Rich Rodriguez will be available by season's end. His offensive philosophy would fit very well in the Pac-12.

Still, I think the best option right now is Mike Leach. He knows he would be under the microscope so you wouldn't have to worry about 'behavioral' issues. He has a proven track record of getting the most out of 3 and 4 star players, having to compete with schools like Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and TCU for regional talent. To me that is the biggest key. Colorado isn't going to have a bunch of homegrown talent. And they aren't going to lure a bunch of 5 star prospects away from the Pac-12 or Big 12 schools. There are plenty of kids in this region alone that would just as soon go to Utah as they would Colorado at this point. You have to be able to get more out of less and Mike Leach has done that consistently. I would argue that he could probably recruit better at CU when compared to TxTech.

Jens1893
11-09-2010, 06:04 AM
The reasoning re: Miles is

a) he coached at CU under Mac and loved it.
b) heīs made enough money and isnīt overly popular with the people in Baton Rogue, the fans in particular, so some people think there might be a chance he wants to get out of the pressure cooker SEC and take a step back to save his sanity.

Garcia Bronco
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Basically, when Oklahoma had their FRESHMAN in the game and they were still kicking the CU starters' asses, that was the writing on the wall. Along with that abismal road record.

They're going to the PAC12 next year and I think they want to start with a clean slate. Hawk can go coach some place like East Valley Methodist State.........hahahaha.

Thats messed up. What do you have against the Methodists?

Broncoman13
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
The reasoning re: Miles is

a) he coached at CU under Mac and loved it.
b) heīs made enough money and isnīt overly popular with the people in Baton Rogue, the fans in particular, so some people think there might be a chance he wants to get out of the pressure cooker SEC and take a step back to save his sanity.

Hmmm... I kind of doubt it but maybe. There will be plenty of places for Les Miles to choose from. His connection to Colorado may help, but I just don't see a coach of his caliber leaving a top school to rebuild Colorado.

Jens1893
11-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Hmmm... I kind of doubt it but maybe. There will be plenty of places for Les Miles to choose from. His connection to Colorado may help, but I just don't see a coach of his caliber leaving a top school to rebuild Colorado.

Donīt quite see it myself, but when I look at the amount of rumors around right now, I think thereīs a mis-information campaign going on to keep THE name from leaking or so they can make it look like just another rumor if THE name leaks. Theyīve had enough time to think about a replacement and put some feelers ... HaLkīs days at CU were numbered basically 12 months ago, after the Cal debacle at the very latest. He needed an 8-9 win season going into this one and there was no way that was gonna happen.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Didn't Les Miles turn down Michigan? Isn't he a Michigan Alum?

Jens1893
11-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes and yes

montrose
11-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Do it, now...

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/852/benca.jpg

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Yes and yes

Thought so.

So we're thinking that he wouldn't leave LSU for his alma mater, a historically-strong program in a hotbed of football where the fan support is there regardless of the product, where graduates take pride in being "A Michigan Man," but he WOULD leave for CU?

Is that... is that what we're saying here?

I think I have some issue with that, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Garcia Bronco
11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
If you want a kick ass football team then you need to slightly lower your academic standards and get some tough guys to play football. CU could have these things if they'd get out of their way. First things first though...get your games on local TV every week.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 07:24 AM
If you want a kick ass football team then you need to slightly lower your academic standards and get some tough guys to play football. CU could have these things if they'd get out of their way. First things first though...get your games on local TV every week.

The point of a University is not to field a football team. I understand what you're saying, but where does it end? We lower our standards, so other schools lower theirs, and we lower ours again, and it just keeps going like that. Absurd.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't think Miles is coming, however you guys are only looking at it from one angle.

LSU fans/boosters are still in love with Saban and a lot say that the only reason Miles won the Nat'l Title is because he did it with Saban's recruits. There were also quite a few people out there who thought that if he lost to Bama last weekend and then Arkansas in 2 weeks, he might not be coming back to Baton Rouge next season.

Also, he didn't just love Boulder, it's been his favorite place to coach, so yes if he was out there, there would be a chance that he could come to Boulder.

Garcia Bronco
11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
The point of a University is not to field a football team. I understand what you're saying, but where does it end? We lower our standards, so other schools lower theirs, and we lower ours again, and it just keeps going like that. Absurd.

Bottom line: It generates revenue for your school.

In 1993 I could go to a Virginia Tech game and sit almost anywhere. After 3 years of winning this was no longer the case. Almost 20 years of bowl games and Michael Vick you can't get a ticket. The school has also expanded its student base by almost 5000 (that's 25 million if all those are in-state per semester; out-of-state and the number goes higher). the school has had to build 7-8 new dorms and 8 new academic buildings and expanded their research base. This is in large part due to the football program.

I don't know the dynamics of CU, but if some egghead board is keeping CU from getting better football players, then I would challenge the idea that they are eggheads and have them removed. They don't realize that a kickass football program brings in money and advertises the University across the globe. It gets you better students.

If I were looking at schools today CU wouldn't even be in the top 20.

Jens1893
11-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Thought so.

So we're thinking that he wouldn't leave LSU for his alma mater, a historically-strong program in a hotbed of football where the fan support is there regardless of the product, where graduates take pride in being "A Michigan Man," but he WOULD leave for CU?

Yes, that is exactly what we are saying here and while I again canīt see it myself, I wouldnīt be completely shell shocked if a guy with more money than he can count and a national championship ring wanted out of the coaching career ladder game and instead settled for a job with modest expectations in a place he knows and seems to be very fond of.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Bottom line: It generates revenue for your school.

In 1993 I could go to a Virginia Tech game and sit almost anywhere. After 3 years of winning this was no longer the case. Almost 20 years of bowl games and Michael Vick you can't get a ticket. The school has also expanded its student base by almost 5000 (that's 25 million if all those are in-state per semester; out-of-state and the number goes higher). the school has had to build 7-8 new dorms and 8 new academic buildings and expanded their research base. This is in large part due to the football program.

I don't know the dynamics of CU, but if some egghead board is keeping CU from getting better football players, then I would challenge the idea that they are eggheads and have them removed. They don't realize that a kickass football program brings in money and advertises the University across the globe. It gets you better students.

If I were looking at schools today CU wouldn't even be in the top 20.

This. A good athletic program will increase your applicant pool, giving the univeristy a better crop of students to select from.

Goobzilla
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Steve Fairchild just defended his buddy Hawkins on the Ticket. Said he's a great coach and wishes more would have been done to "support" him. Really Steve? Really?

spdirty
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Steve Fairchild just defended his buddy Hawkins on the Ticket. Said he's a great coach and wishes more would have been done to "support" him. Really Steve? Really?

That comment should at least put Fairchild on the hotseat. If for nothing else than lack of common sense.

spdirty
11-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I love terms like "academic ****s" when talking about a COLLEGE football team.

I really couldn't care less about CU academics. If the football team and Basketball team does well, then its good for the state of Colorado, and I'm happy.

Lev Vyvanse
11-09-2010, 09:49 AM

What CSU fan or coach wouldn't want Hawk in charge indefinitely.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I really couldn't care less about CU academics. If the football team and Basketball team does well, then its good for the state of Colorado, and I'm happy.

Tells me all I need to know about you.

Strong academic institutions are far and away better for the state of Colorado than a strong football or basketball team.Which do you think offers more long-term positives to the equation?

NFLBRONCO
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
What CSU fan or coach wouldn't want Hawk in charge indefinitely.

:rofl: no doubt

Hercules Rockefeller
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM

What does Colin Cowherd say? If a coach is on the hot seat/fired and his colleagues come out in support of him, it means the coach can't hack it and everyone knows it, which is why they want him to keep his job.

Or something like that.

No team that plays CU should want Hawkins fired, he's so far in over his head he can't even see the surface anymore.

Broncoman13
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
So honestly, what is the downside of Mike Leach? Abrasive personality? What was Mike Leach known for in the Big 12 outside of football? Graduation %! He even went as far as saying the tie-breaker for the Big 12 South should be determined by just that. Seems like a pretty good match for Colorado. He can get the most out of 3 and 4 star recruits, has been very productive in a major conference, and knows what it is like to compete at a school that isn't the "name brand" of their conference.

I'm not a CU guy but I would like to see them do well and always root for them to do well... but since I'm not in tune with the school like a lot of you are, why wouldn't you like Mike Leach and why do you think he wouldn't be a good fit? Honest question, not looking for "you're effing crazy" type responses.

Mountain Bronco
11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Mike Leach or Bieneme are the two legit options. Les Miles, that is funny. Dude has a team with a great defense and terrible QB's ranked 5th in the nation after beating Saban and Bama. He ain't leaving LSU in the next year or so and if he does it would be to go to Michigan not CU.

Lev Vyvanse
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
So honestly, what is the downside of Mike Leach? Abrasive personality? What was Mike Leach known for in the Big 12 outside of football? Graduation %! He even went as far as saying the tie-breaker for the Big 12 South should be determined by just that. Seems like a pretty good match for Colorado. He can get the most out of 3 and 4 star recruits, has been very productive in a major conference, and knows what it is like to compete at a school that isn't the "name brand" of their conference.

I'm not a CU guy but I would like to see them do well and always root for them to do well... but since I'm not in tune with the school like a lot of you are, why wouldn't you like Mike Leach and why do you think he wouldn't be a good fit? Honest question, not looking for "you're effing crazy" type responses.

He is too busy with his lawsuit against Texas Tech.

Broncoman13
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes I'm sure he is handling that personally rather than a team of attorneys.

Lev Vyvanse
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Might be a red flag to an employer.

DBroncos4life
11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Damn does this mean you guys will have a coach vs NU for our final B12 game?

Broncoman13
11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Might be a red flag to an employer.

It would certainly weigh into the consideration, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Swedish Extrovert
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm kind of against college sports in general because of this. Why I don't watch NCAA except of hockey.

Professional athletes need ****ing seminars explaining how to handle their money. They're not necessarily smart people... some are, and some do great things. But we're talking about kids here, and they want to party - you give them money and that will always happen.

Since this will always be the case, I think the three-years removed from HS thing to be in the NFL is BS - if there is a highly recruited 18 year old, he should be able to go into the NFL.

Swedish Extrovert
11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Just look at the teams with the best teams....

How many NFL teams recruit out of the Ivy League and the Patriot League? There's a few, but not many. Stanford is the only school I can think of that maintains both an academic and athletic reputation... Boston College has occasionally emerged as an athletic powerhouse... the academies have had some good players, and there are a few Ivy Leagues in the NFL (mostly linemen and QBs). Georgetown and Syracuse, I'm told, are pretty good basketball schools so they are a couple of other exceptions. Even then a perfect example is Allen Iverson - probably a smarter than average guy, but do you really think he got in/graduated from Georgetown based on his academic merits?

Other than that, most top academic schools don't really produce top athletes - if they even have a football program.

tsiguy96
11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm kind of against college sports in general because of this. Why I don't watch NCAA except of hockey.

Professional athletes need ****ing seminars explaining how to handle their money. They're not necessarily smart people... some are, and some do great things. But we're talking about kids here, and they want to party - you give them money and that will always happen.

Since this will always be the case, I think the three-years removed from HS thing to be in the NFL is BS - if there is a highly recruited 18 year old, he should be able to go into the NFL.

you cant force guys to handle their money properly, and college sports for 99% of students gives them a free education while they provide back to their school in form of revenue. we are NFL football fans so we see these guys making so much, but they are the minority. gotta realize the percentage of full athletic scholarship students that become professionals in their sport is MAYBE 1/10000.

Swedish Extrovert
11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
you cant force guys to handle their money properly, and college sports for 99% of students gives them a free education while they provide back to their school in form of revenue. we are NFL football fans so we see these guys making so much, but they are the minority. gotta realize the percentage of full athletic scholarship students that become professionals in their sport is MAYBE 1/10000.

Still would rather endowment be spent on research/art collections/merit-based scholarships, etc.

That said, I am a Buffs fan, but I still hold to what I said.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't saying players NEED seminars to handle their money properly rhetorically as in it's something that needs to be done... I was pointing out that the NFL makes players go through them cause players tend to go out and buy Bently's, Rolexes, etc. as soon as they get that 13 mil contract. Then the blow out their knee and truck drivers for the rest of their life. It happens more often than you think.

I'm pretty sure if someone straight up gave me, say 3mil, I could use that to sustain the rest of my life... pretty comfortably at that - with yearly vacations, reasonably nice cars, and going out every night.

SoonerBronco
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM

With a law degree, why wouldn't he?

If I were a CU fan, I would be pushing for his hiring. You guys have a great area and school to recruit to...and let's face it...like Cartman says "Boulder has a loooooottttttt of hippies." so Leach would fit right in.

ZachKC
11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Still would rather endowment be spent on research/art collections/merit-based scholarships, etc.

The money brought in for the University is ungodly. That doesn't all go back to athletics.

Swedish Extrovert
11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
The money brought in for the University is ungodly. That doesn't all go back to athletics.

In that case, ****in' a. Build up a dynasty and charge insane prices for tickets.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2010, 12:08 PM

I'd wager that the money brought in from tuition is much higher than that brought in by athletics. Which is why it's so funny to me when people use "academic ****s" as a derogatory term about people who go to school to learn and not watch football.

ZachKC
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd wager that the money brought in from tuition is much higher than that brought in by athletics. Which is why it's so funny to me when people use "academic ****s" as a derogatory term about people who go to school to learn and not watch football.

I have no doubt about that. Whoever said anything differently.

ColoradoBuff
11-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Thought so.

Les Miles came to CU with McCartney from Michigan. He and McCartney are very, very, very close!^5

spdirty
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM

:clown:

Top Ten Reasons Why CU should Hire Dave Logan

1. Proven football winner year after year with an exceptional ability to successfully multitask.

2. Colorado's home-grown all-American three sport athlete who starred at CU.

3. Excellent pro receiver who remains tall and fit, and impressive in any recruit's living room.

4. All the best Colorado high school football players will go to CU -- and that includes Mullen.

5. Communication skills well suited to handle players, staff, Pac 12, and media.

6. Bronco connections; despite the down year, the Denver pro franchise is football royalty.

7. Hire Dave Logan and Colorado fan interest would go through the roof.

8. No retreads or upwardly mobile coaches please; do something fresh and interesting.

9. As CU joins a conference centered in California, keep a distinct (and better) Colorado identity.

10. Less competition on the radio during afternoon drive time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-alan-silverman/top-ten-reasons-why-cu-sh_b_781186.html

manchambo
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM

1. Proven football winner year after year with an exceptional ability to successfully multitask.

3. Excellent pro receiver who remains tall and fit, and impressive in any recruit's living room.

4. All the best Colorado high school football players will go to CU -- and that includes Mullen.

5. Communication skills well suited to handle players, staff, Pac 12, and media.

6. Bronco connections; despite the down year, the Denver pro franchise is football royalty.

8. No retreads or upwardly mobile coaches please; do something fresh and interesting.

9. As CU joins a conference centered in California, keep a distinct (and better) Colorado identity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-alan-silverman/top-ten-reasons-why-cu-sh_b_781186.html

sweet mother of god those are stupid reasons

BroncoMatt
11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I like Dave Logan but would hate it if he were the Buff's HC

bpc
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM

We've already been getting the Lions share of the top recruits in-state over the past four years. It doesn't work.

In the Big 12, we needed to recruit Texas effectively. Hawkins didn't even try hence why I think we had 6 guys from Texas. Mizzou had over 20.

In the Pac 12, we need to recruit Southern California effectively. We need to find a coach that will do that. I doubt anybody in Socal knows who Logan is, or gives a ****. In fact, hiring a HS coach to our top position would probably solidify CU being the laughing stock of the conference increasing questions as to why we were invited in the first place. If Logan wants to help kick CU into hire gear and earn the top position by working his way up, i think it would be awesome to have that Buff back in the fold. It seems thus far that he's un-willing to do the job unless it's just handed to him and that doesn't sit right with me.

If we want to compete in the Pac 12, or even compete for national championships, CU needs to find a coach who can take advantage of our Socal matchups while still using our proximity near Texas to pipeline recruits in from both areas. At that time, we can add a few of the great home-grown kids to the mix and hopefully then we can get back to top 15 status.

bpc
11-10-2010, 09:24 PM
CU needs a coach with California ties, since they would be moving to the PAC-12 and playing in the same division as USC/UCLA. At this point, all I can think of is Mike Leach...while he is an oddball...so is the CU community. Should fit right in.

I don't think it's mandatory he has Cali ties. If that was the case we could have kept Hawkins. ;)

Actually, I find it more important that we can get guys who can recruit Texas just as strongly as we're going to hit Socal. I almost think we start getting higher consideration from recruits in the area based on the fact that we'll be playing in LA every season.

If we want to step this program up, we have to use our location to our advantage and pull in a bunch of Texas recruits, in combination with the Socal recruits.

spdirty
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
We've already been getting the Lions share of the top recruits in-state over the past four years. It doesn't work.

In the Big 12, we needed to recruit Texas effectively. Hawkins didn't even try hence why I think we had 6 guys from Texas. Mizzou had over 20.

In the Pac 12, we need to recruit Southern California effectively. We need to find a coach that will do that. I doubt anybody in Socal knows who Logan is, or gives a ****. In fact, hiring a HS coach to our top position would probably solidify CU being the laughing stock of the conference increasing questions as to why we were invited in the first place. If Logan wants to help kick CU into hire gear and earn the top position by working his way up, i think it would be awesome to have that Buff back in the fold. It seems thus far that he's un-willing to do the job unless it's just handed to him and that doesn't sit right with me.

If we want to compete in the Pac 12, or even compete for national championships, CU needs to find a coach who can take advantage of our Socal matchups while still using our proximity near Texas to pipeline recruits in from both areas. At that time, we can add a few of the great home-grown kids to the mix and hopefully then we can get back to top 15 status.

Yep. I honestly wanted Logan 5 years ago. That was back when I listened to Irv and Joe way too much. I'd like to see him be on the staff. But his lifestyle is way too comfortable for him to take up 1 year contracts and not being the guy over there. Add to that he isn't qualified for the job. He hasn't earned it.

I think Calhoun, Miles, Bellotti, and Peterson are pipe dreams for those that want to go outside the "family" and get a name. For one reason or another (academic ****s) the university is unwilling to give a coach >2 mil a year so your options are kind of limited to guys with limited or no head coaching experience and guys who are willing to come here for less. In other words, true buffs that are passionate about CU football, are disgusted with the program in its current condition and want to do something about it.

spdirty
11-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Tells me all I need to know about you.

Strong academic institutions are far and away better for the state of Colorado than a strong football or basketball team.Which do you think offers more long-term positives to the equation?

I don't think you know what I am talking about when I say that. There are a lot of people over in Boulder that not only don't care about the football program, but they despise the football program. They would prefer that CU go the way of DU and simply drop football. Dean Phil Elias from the movie Necessary Roughness is the best way to describe them. They think CU is the "Hahvud of the west" and shouldnt concern themselves with such unwashed barbaric activities such as football. Their greatest nightmare would be for CU to return to the glory days of the late 80's and early 90's. Or to have a football program that resembles Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, etc.

Plus, have you been to any CU functions lately? The student body over there leaves a lot to be desired. They have a massively overinflated opinion of themselves.

So, the next coach at CU has to fight those battles.

And the bottom line is that what you really want is both. You think Stanford is embarrassed by their football program right now?

spdirty
11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't think it's mandatory he has Cali ties. If that was the case we could have kept Hawkins. ;)

Actually, I find it more important that we can get guys who can recruit Texas just as strongly as we're going to hit Socal. I almost think we start getting higher consideration from recruits in the area based on the fact that we'll be playing in LA every season.

If we want to step this program up, we have to use our location to our advantage and pull in a bunch of Texas recruits, in combination with the Socal recruits.

Do you want EB?

Lev Vyvanse
11-10-2010, 10:22 PM

Top two reasons why CU should not hire Logan
1. Gerry
2. Faust

Mountain Bronco
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
With a law degree, why wouldn't he?

If I were a CU fan, I would be pushing for his hiring. You guys have a great area and school to recruit to...and let's face it...like Cartman says "Boulder has a loooooottttttt of hippies." so Leach would fit right in.

Glad to see that Sooner edumacation got you somewhere. Just because you have a law degree doesn't mean you are qualified to handle a very complex litigation, especially if you haven't used it in years. Pull your head out, even very good attorneys hire other attorneys because (1) you can't handle your own case objectively (2) legal work is very specialized and (3) they can afford to have the proper representation.

That said I agree with you that leach would fin in at CU and be a great hire.

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Why don't you coach the Buffs. Oh, that's right, your just a legend in your own mind and a pretender in the real world...

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I heard on the radio CU wanted Mac back. Anyone think this is a possibility?

Hercules Rockefeller
11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Eb

eb

eb

LonghornBronco
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I think Gary Patterson of TCU could turn the program around. He strikes me as a "Program Builder" type of coach.

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I think Gary Patterson of TCU could turn the program around. He strikes me as a "Program Builder" type of coach.

Why would he leave TCU for the black hole in boulder, where coaches go to die?

LonghornBronco
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Will Muschamp is an excellent x's and o's type with a "light a fire in your ass" motivational guy similar to Bob Stoops, he would also be an excellent choice.

LonghornBronco
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

I think it would be hard to pry him away, but hopefully the lure of a BCS conference and great location to recruit to would be enough.

Steve Sewell
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Because Colorado is a hotbed of college football recruiting.

Like a few said before you, anyone who mentions Dave Freakin' Logan as a prospect for the CU job should not comment again on the matter.

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I think it would be hard to pry him away, but hopefully the lure of a BCS conference and great location to recruit to would be enough.

I see TCU heading to the Big 12 instead, or moving to another conference. He's got a great thing going on at TCU, it would be hard to leave that program, it has been consistently good for a while now.

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Dan Hawkins can now go back to coaching in the wilderness. I hear the Northern Missouri State Wild Turkeys are looking for a coach...

Lev Vyvanse
11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Because Colorado is a hotbed of college football recruiting.

Like a few said before you, anyone who mentions Dave Freakin' Logan as a prospect for the CU job should not comment again on the matter.

It was a joke.

Did you read this post
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2999651&postcount=33

Mountain Bronco
11-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Reading back over this thread it is pretty funny the delusional view that people have of the CU program. This program is a laughing stock right now with downright poor facilities, a very weak fan base, pretty weak boosters (at least compared to the big dogs) for the most part, little admin support, little state house support, bad funding in general and even a percieved negative connotation towards AA in the Boulder community (that is BS, but still out there).

It would be a pipe dream to get a Les Miles (unless he likes the taste of rocky mountain grass better???), Muschamp, etc... and even talking about it is pointless.

CU has to either turn back the clock and go with Mac, which has its obvious downside of him being 70, not having been in the game for such a long time and the fact that it is hard to recruit if kids don't know if he will actually be the coach for the long haul.

That said, I think the guy would be a great recruiter even now. He was a hell of a recruiter back in the day and the parents eat up the morals crap.

Other options are find a diamond in the rough coordinator (college or NFL) or take a shot on a good but controversial coach such as Leach. Rummors have Leach going to NM, I would imagine CU is still a better job than NM despite all the problems I have listed.

Also, the California connection is rather important IMO. The amount of CU alumni in California is amazing. In fact I watched a CU game at a bar in San Fran a few years back that was a full on CU bar, packed with Alumni and there was more support there for CU football than I witness on the front range most of the time.

Sorry for the rant.

NFLBRONCO
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
To CU Leach is too similar to Hawkins imo I doubt that happens. I think Mac and 2 years from now EB is a great idea.

manchambo
11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
The bottom line, for me, is the following:

The state of the University, the economy, and politics in Colorado dictates that this program could, at best, pay close to a competitive package for a big dog coach. They cannot put together an awesome package to lure someone great. And, for simply competitive money, a big dog is not coming because the situation is not very attractive.

That leaves them to hire either (1) someone who is up and coming but as yet can't command a top offer, or (2) someone who cares about the program enough to come without a top dollar deal.

Which is exactly why McCartney and Bienemy or Embry would be the ideal choice.

bpc
11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Do you want EB?

I think EB is on course to be a head-coach.

I think for CU to succeed, it needs to reconnect with it's special past.

EB is my favorite of all the coaching candidates but we haven't seen everybody who's on the field of play yet. He's just the most obvious.

bpc
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Why don't you coach the Buffs. Oh, that's right, your just a legend in your own mind and a pretender in the real world...

Way to post something relevant to the discussion.

I have a couple of championship rings between playing ball in college and my professional activities in the Arena Football League.

How many do you have?

That's right, STFU and don't speak unless I address you.

spdirty
11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I think EB is on course to be a head-coach.

I think for CU to succeed, it needs to reconnect with it's special past.

EB is my favorite of all the coaching candidates but we haven't seen everybody who's on the field of play yet. He's just the most obvious.

I bet if we hired EB or Mac the day after the Nebraska game or before it would bring our recruiting class up to top 35. If we get Mac with the added bonus of EB on his staff it would be a frickin recruiting bonanza with Mac, EB, and Hagan.

But I think I lean towards EB as well as I think he is a top 5 in the county recruiter and his coaching ability is highly respected in the NFL. That IMO gives EB the edge over Mac as Mac was not the best gameday coach even in his heyday. But I will be freaking pumped if we get either one of them. In fact I'll probably be pretty depressed if we hire anyone else.

BroncoBuff
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Perfect.

Money.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
No way CU's recruiting class is Top 35 this year. They have virtually no class and interest from top recruits because everyone knew Hawk was a dead man walking. I'd be stoked if the replacement could pull it anywhere near the Top 50.

_Oro_
11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Way to post something relevant to the discussion.

I have a couple of championship rings between playing ball in college and my professional activities in the Arena Football League.

How many do you have?

That's right, STFU and don't speak unless I address you.

Douchetastic. ^5

robbieopperude
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I see our recruiting class falling outside the Top 50 this year unless Mac or EB can get some of our CU boys to sign back up. We still have talent in Colorado this year that we can keep. I also think we could see some good transfers come here over the next few year and JUCO players if we land the Mac/EB package that I want.

Wasn't EB the RB's coach here with Gary Barnett? I think he turned Chris Brown into an NFL RB if I remember correctly. I remember Bobby Purify putting up a huge day on NU too. Was he the coach back then? Anyone remember?

robbieopperude
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I would also like to keep Ashley Ambrose as a DB coach if possible. Him and Cabral I would keep and demote Kiesau (sp) to QB coach from OC. Dude is a dud of an offensive coordinator but I like what he has done with Hansen who was a 1 star recruit. Hawkins also has been coached well. He is just to dang short.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes Bienemy was the RB coach in '01.

He'll be in town this weekend btw.

spdirty
11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I see our recruiting class falling outside the Top 50 this year unless Mac or EB can get some of our CU boys to sign back up. We still have talent in Colorado this year that we can keep. I also think we could see some good transfers come here over the next few year and JUCO players if we land the Mac/EB package that I want.

Wasn't EB the RB's coach here with Gary Barnett? I think he turned Chris Brown into an NFL RB if I remember correctly. I remember Bobby Purify putting up a huge day on NU too. Was he the coach back then? Anyone remember?

He was here from '01-'02. He also had Maurice Jones-Drew coming to CU before going to UCLA where Mojo followed him.

Lev Vyvanse
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes Bienemy was the RB coach in '01.

He'll be in town this weekend btw.

No he won't.

Rohirrim
11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Actually, the more I think about it, Cabral might not be such a bad choice. Maybe they should give him a season and see if he can take it to the next level? After all, he produced some great linebackers. Obviously, he can coach.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Actually, the more I think about it, Cabral might not be such a bad choice. Maybe they should give him a season and see if he can take it to the next level? After all, he produced some great linebackers. Obviously, he can coach.

I've had the occasion to have beers with Cabral a couple of times. Absolutely awesome guy. Loved chatting with him. Cool experiences.

however, the guy is not a head coach. I think in private he'd say the same.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2010, 12:38 PM
(Mike Leach's lawsuit against Tech) would certainly weigh into the consideration, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

It's not, just ask the chancellors at UCLA.

BroncoBuff
11-13-2010, 04:10 PM
This is interesting ... Darrell Scott on Facebook Saturday afternoon:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8219/darrell.jpg