PDA

View Full Version : Bye Week Thread-Moving Forward

rugbythug
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
QB- This is a solid if unspectacular position. If McD can Make Orton look good I have no Doubt He could play with the other 2.

RB-Moreno has looked good when he played. Has shown the Dreaded Flashes-CB looks done. And Maroney looks worse than him. Sad to say but Lendale White will be a big improvement Next Year.

WR-Solid-Solid Group. Best part of the team Bar none.

TE-Poor-Can't set the edge, can't catch-Poor all around.

T-Decent group here. Not this teams problem.
G-Well below avg. However the beautiful thing about guards is more top tier players hit FA than any other groupl.
C-It could be worse. If we played with 10 players. Still manned by a Rookie can only get better.

NT-Old and avg. need serious improvement.
DE-Would look much better if we had our First team OLB playing. Still Bannan can play and Vickerson has looked good on plays. However To be Great we still need a stud on the Front line. One amazing player and the rest of these guys will look very good.
OLB-Good starters. Probably the worst depth in Football. Must improve depth with 4-5th rounders. See Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
ILB-Good Enough Starters. These two guys are good enough to win a Superbowl with. If you are going to skimp this is the place.
CB-Good and Old. Cox can play. Sydquan is better than Alphonso.
S-Old and OK. If McBatch can stay healthy a season I think he can be special. When he plays you know it.

Going Forward. The negativity on this board is crazy. The feeling that we are 8 players away on Defense is nuts. We are 1 or 2 Great players away. 8 OK players puts us exactly where we were. Take a look at the 96-98 Broncos teams the D was not stacked. And there were a lot of mediocre players on the Team. The Difference is we had 3-4 HOF Players too. That is how you win. 9 ok to Good Players and 2 HOF. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees. We have a few HOF potential Players.

Clady-Was Dominate from the jump. Less so this year.
Champ
Dumerville-Stats don't lie if he keeps playing like he used to he will be brought up in HOF discussions.

BroncoMan4ever
11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
We have more HOF calibur players than just Champ, Clady, and Doom. Dawkins is going 1st ballot

i understand what you are saying though. while it is bad to be said, injuries decimated this team. with Clady, Kuper and Harris all coming back from injury the line had no chance of looking dominant, add in the infusion of 2 rookies who while not dominant, are showing flashes of possible future dominance. Walton is easily the nastiest linemen we have. Beadles has taken Harris' job and it can be assumed Harris won't be back. Get a guy like Mankins to pair with Clady a year removed from the injury and with a year under the rookies belts, and this line looks vastly improved next season.

While i see where you are going with the QB thinking, i don't think Orton was as bad as many believed him to be. He was fine but overlooked and poorly used and never allowed to grow as a player or starter. Also if Tebow is maturing faster than expected i am curious as to whether the locking up of Orton for another season was done so he could be used to get us more picks in next years draft. I am thinking Orton could be used as trade bait to a team like Buffalo or Jacksonville who are looking for good veteran leadership and strong play from the QB position.

With the RBs, truthfully if Moreno could complete a full camp and preseason he would probably look a lot better than he does now, regardless this part of the team needs a boost. i would really like to see the team look at a late round change of pace guy, not speed though, power running, need a guy to move the chains consistently not another Tater Bell style of back.

WR is set for the next 5 years. Especially when you consider a guy like Decker who many viewed as a major possibility for steal of the draft can't even get on the field is our number 5 guy and a 1st round draft pick is number 4.

Front 7, this needs an infusion of depth and youth. Bannan has played well, Vickerson has impressed, but we need youth at the Nose and an upgrade at LB. i truly feel DJ is out of place. He needs to be a 4-3 WILL, but can be serviceable in his current role. Haggan is decent but not spectacular. Doom is elite, and Ayers was on his way to showing he could be a really good Strong side LB and good compliment to Doom. depth is the issue on the outside. Hunter looks like a good guy for depth, but outside of that we have nothing.

Secondary is iffy. even with Champ and Dawk 2 future HOF players, it is still nothing special. Cox, Thompson, McBath look set to take over eventually if injury can be avoided, and look like they could be good players, but a young stud or 2 is needed.

this team in my opinion needs to upgrade, RB, G, NT, depth on DL, LB depth, and good youth in the secondary.

G and LB can be addressed relatively easily in FA and can be used in patchwork situation until we can address the spots in the draft, but DL help needs to be the focus in this upcoming draft. in the later rounds go secondary and RB.

Popps
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
LenWhale looked fantastic in the preseason. I hope the guy rehabs and can come back next season.

Anyone recall his contract details?

Dr. Broncenstein
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
LenWhale looked fantastic in the preseason. I hope the guy rehabs and can come back next season.

If I recall it was somewhere between cheap and last chance.

strafen
11-07-2010, 10:07 PM

:rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbs:

Popps
11-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Going Forward. The negativity on this board is crazy. The feeling that we are 8 players away on Defense is nuts. .

Agree. Add our starting OLB's, and our defense improves 25% automatically, if not more. Add an impact DL and draft an impact ILB, and we're drastically improved.

Take a look at the 96-98 Broncos teams the D was not stacked. And there were a lot of mediocre players on the Team. .

O.K... you lost me here.

The 98 D featured a ton of talent. Guys like Romo were extremely underrated. (There's a reason he played in so many playoff games.) Sack-masters like Smith and Williams... studs like Atwater and savvy vets like Braxton, etc. We had a lot of talent on that defense. Look at the statistical performances of that defense in the playoffs. It's off the charts.

I also wouldn't say there were a lot of mediocre players. There were some role players, but they played their roles well. Almost any championship team can say that.

But, that was a different era.

There's no team in the league right now that could hold the 98 Broncos' jock.

There's no dominant team in football this year, and pretty much any team can take down any other team on any Sunday. Fun to watch... but we're not looking at any sort of historic football right now.

When the Colts won that SB a few years back with that horrible defense... I thought it might have been the worst SB winning team I could remember. Since then, I think the overall talent level of SB winners is continuing to go down.

The league wanted parity, and they got it.

The upside there is, you can improve your own team and be competitive much more quickly with a few good moves and some good luck. (Health, etc.)

BroncoMan4ever
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM

i don't mind him, but i would have loved to have seen the team draft someone like Gerhart this past draft, and that is on my wish list next year, a big bruiser that can move piles.

(please don't bring up Hillis)

Popps
11-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Good.

Actually, it was a 2 year deal.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_15677845?source=commented-sports

So, hopefully fatty will get back in game "shape."

He really did look like a good fit for us.

Popps
11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
i don't mind him, but i would have loved to have seen the team draft someone like Gerhart this past draft, and that is on my wish list next year, a big bruiser that can move piles.

(please don't bring up Hillis)

I'm actually on the speed side of things. I'd like to see a game-breaker brought in to play on third downs... return kicks, etc. But, I highly doubt that happens.

worm
11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm actually on the speed side of things. I'd like to see a game-breaker brought in to play on third downs... return kicks, etc. But, I highly doubt that happens.

I wouldn't doubt it happens. There is no denying the dimension that Spiller and McCluster have added this year to the Bills and Chiefs.

Goobzilla
11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
RB-Moreno has looked good when he played

Really? I can think of 1 run this season where I thought "hey that's a pretty nice run" It was the 17 yarder against SF in London. If he is still having lingering effects from that hammy hopefully he's gotten good rest and we can see what he's really capable of.

Hulamau
11-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Good.

Actually, it was a 2 year deal.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_15677845?source=commented-sports

So, hopefully fatty will get back in game "shape."

He really did look like a good fit for us.

Yep, we win AT LEAST two more games with White so far .... likely three.

Cito Pelon
11-08-2010, 12:39 AM
IMO, the OP was a pretty good analysis. But, I have to wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before really forming a solid opinion. Some of the young guys might really turn it on in the second half.

There's some youngsters on the team with potential - Cox, Squid, McBath, Hunter has shown flashes, Bruton might get some more playing time. Most of my concerns are on D right now, getting some playmakers.

The OL looks bad right now, but the lineup has been shuffled like crazy and maybe they'll improve now maybe the staff has settled on a lineup. RB - like every year - requires a draftee/FA or two since they get injured so often. You gotta have like 9 RB's on the roster to start training camp.

Cito Pelon
11-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Sure would have been nice to have him healthy. Could have been a really nice situational player.

worm
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Yep, we win AT LEAST two more games with White so far .... likely three.

2 or 3 more wins by having Lendale?

Dude, you need to get out of Amsterdam.