PDA

View Full Version : Ot-Real or Photo shop

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
This was on my Facebook Page.

Photo shop or not ?

Looked pretty real to me apparently it was on the Front Page of the Idaho Statesman.

That is one huge cat and it would make me think about going on another one of my" I so fricken drunk its a good time for a hike" Journeys when I go camping.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27437&stc=1&d=1288984135

Miss I.
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
1. Where are my poll options?
2. Definitely photoshop.
3. Brian Griese's fault.
;D

Beantown Bronco
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Nice thread title. I can think of another, better direction this thread should head towards.....

Rabb
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
no breaking news?

pfffftt

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
1. Where are my poll options?
2. Definitely photoshop.
3. Brian Griese's fault.
;D

I hate Polls and I wish Griese would have tripped over this instead of that dog.

misturanderson
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Looks fake to me.

Archer81
11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Gonna go with real.

Mountain lions do get that big. Even though I thought it was illegal to hunt them...

:Broncos:

bronco militia
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8082/memes.jpg

broncocalijohn
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Gonna go with real.

Mountain lions do get that big. Even though I thought it was illegal to hunt them...

In california they are. Looks real as cats can get that big.

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Gonna go with real.

I know you can hunt them here in Oregon and I am pretty sure it is legal to hunt them in Idaho as well.

I'm not big on killing things that I will not eat but I have no problem taking one of these out. They are nothing but a problem. They are one of the few animal that will stock and kill Humans.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 01:27 PM
This was on my Facebook Page.

Photo shop or not ?

Looked pretty real to me apparently it was on the Front Page of the Idaho Statesman.

That is one huge cat and it would make me think about going on another one of my" I so fricken drunk its a good time for a hike" Journeys when I go camping.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27437&stc=1&d=1288984135

The photo is real of course. The guy is actually a 4'2" midget.

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
The photo is real of course. The guy is actually a 4'2" midget.

Here is the link. I had no idea they could get so big. That thing has to go 250+

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/22/1052227_a1207859/2010-readers-hunting-photos.html

Archer81
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I know you can hunt them here in Oregon and I am pretty sure it is legal to hunt them in Idaho as well.

I'm not big on killing things that I will not eat but I have no problem taking one of these out. They are nothing but a problem. They are one of the few animal that will stock and kill Humans.

Any big cat will stalk and kill a person. Even house cats do this. I prefer to leave predator animals alone. Especially out here because of the amount of deer and elk we have. People are only allowed to hunt so many of either, so natural predators like Mountain lions or Wolves are fine by me.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Here is the link. I had no idea they could get so big. That thing has to go 250+

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/22/1052227_a1207859/2010-readers-hunting-photos.html

Haha, too funny. I live in the same town as that guy. If it's published in the Idaho Statesman it's real.

Someone else inquired about the legality of shooting mountain lions. Yes, it is legal in Idaho. You have to purchase a special tag for it. The fact that he shot it with a bow is pretty impressive. I archery hunt myself and can tell you that a smart archery hunter won't take a shot unless he's within 40 yards of an animal.

How'd you like to be 20 yards or so away from that cat knowing you've only got one shot? ;D

Miss I.
11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I hate Polls and I wish Griese would have tripped over this instead of that dog.

Meow!

loborugger
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I am not a photo editor... but someone needs to put Mike Singletary's face on the hunter's body and Joshie's on the dead cat.

Better yet, Put Tom the Cable Guy on the hunter's body. Afterall, he used to coach in Idaho.

Lev Vyvanse
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
http://thegoat.backcountry.com/files/2010/03/mountain_lion.jpg

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/mountain_lion.jpg

Mountain lions are scary.

tsiguy96
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
yea, big tough men can shoot an animal from 100 yards away, they are really badasses!

Archer81
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
yea, big tough men can shoot an animal from 100 yards away, they are really badasses!

To take down a mountain lion with anything is impressive. They are not exactly the easiest animal to hunt. Its not like deer hunting. The deer wont stalk you and kill you if you miss. They just run away.

SouthStndJunkie
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I love the fact that animals like the mountain lion and grizzly bear are out there....it's part of what makes you feel alive when you are outdoors.

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I love the fact that animals like the mountain lion and grizzly bear are out there....it's part of what makes you feel alive when you are outdoors.

Bears sure, Lions noway !

elsid13
11-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Did you miss the point that he took it down with bow? I wouldn't hunt the damn things without a big bore or semi-auto with hollow-points.

Los Broncos
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Looks real to me.

mr007
11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
To take down a mountain lion with anything is impressive. They are not exactly the easiest animal to hunt. Its not like deer hunting. The deer wont stalk you and kill you if you miss. They just run away.

It's also retarded. If you're not eating the entire animal you shouldn't be hunting it - it's not a ****ing sport.

mr007
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM

For a change I agree with you completely.

tsiguy96
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
It's also retarded. If you're not eating the entire animal you shouldn't be hunting it - it's not a ****ing sport.

absolutely. i dont understand how people can go out and kill these things for fun, how is that even allowed? thats how humans dry up populations of so many endangered species. leave them the **** alone, they didnt do anything to you, and if they did you probably had it coming. dont piss off a 600lb cat.

Que
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Did you miss the point that he took it down with bow? I wouldn't hunt the damn things without a big bore or semi-auto with hollow-points.

Quoted for truth.

Totally. I once knew a guy who hunted Grizzly with a muzzle loader but hunting mountain lions with a bow? Yikes! Those are some big brass ones.

That One Guy
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
absolutely. i dont understand how people can go out and kill these things for fun, how is that even allowed? thats how humans dry up populations of so many endangered species. leave them the **** alone, they didnt do anything to you, and if they did you probably had it coming. dont piss off a 600lb cat.

You could've just come right out and said "I know nothing of hunting" and saved yourself quite a few words. The more money brought in through hunting licenses and the like, the more conservation the state gets. The more conservation, the more healthy the wildlife population and more accutely it gets managed.

Hunting isn't a bad thing at all. Usually it's for food but in a scenario like this, what checks the wild cat population if not humans? Illegal hunting is the only real issue out there.

Spider
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM

to take out a cat is impressive , they are not called the North American ghost for nothing , you go hunting one of them , you could very well end up being the hunted

Taco John
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
As a backpacker, I have no problem with a dead mountain lion. Especially a bigass one like that.

tsiguy96
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
You could've just come right out and said "I know nothing of hunting" and saved yourself quite a few words. The more money brought in through hunting licenses and the like, the more conservation the state gets. The more conservation, the more healthy the wildlife population and more accutely it gets managed.

Hunting isn't a bad thing at all. Usually it's for food but in a scenario like this, what checks the wild cat population if not humans? Illegal hunting is the only real issue out there.

you dont actually believe that people killing cats to mount them on their wall actually increases their chance of conservation, do you? wow, talk about some brainwashed, rationalizing BS.

hunting deer, turkeys or whatever is fine, there is an actual purpose involved. killing a cat or bear to mount in your living room?

Archer81
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
to take out a cat is impressive , they are not called the North American ghost for nothing , you go hunting one of them , you could very well end up being the hunted

Exactly this. In fact, the lion more than likely is hunting you before you even get a hint of where the cat is at.

Hunting predator animals is not a bad thing. Especially when its needed for a healthy ecosystem overall. Crazy idea, ensuring the long term health of both the prey and predator animals...

Spider
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
few years back they had a cat near the town of Delta co .....it seemed like the entire town went on alert ..... and for good reason

Archer81
11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
you dont actually believe that people killing cats to mount them on their wall actually increases their chance of conservation, do you? wow, talk about some brainwashed, rationalizing BS.

hunting deer, turkeys or whatever is fine, there is an actual purpose involved. killing a cat or bear to mount in your living room?

Alot of these states try to limit the amount of deer or elk you can bag legally. Because of these larger populations of deer and elk, you get larger populations of mountain lions, lynx, wolves or bears. When the prey animals start to get overhunted because of the overabundance of predator animals, the lion, bear, wolf starts to head out of its habitat to where people are to find food. Then people like you start to decry human expansion into animal habitats as the problem rather then the fact there are too many cats out there for the amount of prey they need.

Hunting both does not mean you are hurting either species. In fact you are more than likely ensuring they remain healthy.

You probably think controlled burns of dead forests is a bad thing too.

Spider
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Exactly this. In fact, the lion more than likely is hunting you before you even get a hint of where the cat is at.

Hunting predator animals is not a bad thing. Especially when its needed for a healthy ecosystem overall. Crazy idea, ensuring the long term health of both the prey and predator animals...

I took a job as a log truck driver 20 years ago ,few things you dont mess with , Lions , Moose , and Badgers . in that order , the only time a bear is dangerous is if has had previous human encounters , or protecting her cubs ...... the others on my list will **** with you cause they have nothing better to do that day

Broncos_OTM
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

My sisters husband was friends with a guy in high schooll that was stalked and killed and drug up a tree in high school. so i def aggree here

Los Broncos
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Just hearing a cat scream is scary enough, let alone one stalking you.

jhns
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
absolutely. i dont understand how people can go out and kill these things for fun, how is that even allowed?

You want to know why it is allowed? It is because we have men in the human species. I know you don't understand but that is the best I can do for you.

Reality is that this is an obvious answer. Either we control their population or they help control ours...

Archer81
11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I took a job as a log truck driver 20 years ago ,few things you dont mess with , Lions , Moose , and Badgers . in that order , the only time a bear is dangerous is if has had previous human encounters , or protecting her cubs ...... the others on my list will **** with you cause they have nothing better to do that day

Few years ago I was at a buddy's house and went outside to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee, I get settled into a deck chair and hear a noise. Keep in mind this house is up in the foothills in Fremont county. So anyway, I look over and see a bobcat. Big deal some people say, but this thing was the size of a small labrador retriever and was showing no fear of me. So I grabbed my cellphone and got a picture of it before running my ass into the house.

Dont **** with any wildlife out here. They can **** you up.

Spider
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
1 good thing bout living in Wyoming . you can watch wild horses run , wild buffalo roam , lots of unspoiled nature ...... Bad thing is , you will encounter predatory animals

Spider
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Few years ago I was at a buddy's house and went outside to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee, I get settled into a deck chair and hear a noise. Keep in mind this house is up in the foothills in Fremont county. So anyway, I look over and see a bobcat. Big deal some people say, but this thing was the size of a small labrador retriever and was showing no fear of me. So I grabbed my cellphone and got a picture of it before running my ass into the house.

Dont **** with any wildlife out here. They can **** you up.

LOL , those big cats have no fear of anything , they know dayum well they rule the roost ...... I got a healthy look at one up on Ruby Jewel , I would say close to 175 pounds he looked at my truck , then disappeared into the trees ....

Archer81
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
http://tinyurl.com/25exznn

The bobcat.

Spider
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

The bobcat.

here kitty kitty kitty ;D

Spider
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM

The bobcat.

the real messed up part is , if that cat had wanted you for dinner , you wouldnt have saw him until it was to late ....... Just something to think about

Archer81
11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
here kitty kitty kitty ;D

Some people will say aww, how cute n cuddly. He was 2 feet away from the back door and showed no fear. Does that face look like a cat that is about to run?

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM

What about killing it. Leave it for food or what have you.

Los Broncos
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM

The bobcat.

Nice cat, I took that one of mine this year, he was a pretty good size.

BlaK-Argentina
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Totally agree.

Broncos_OTM
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Is there one thread you dont make a ass of yourself in? just curious.

BlaK-Argentina
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Is there one thread you dont make a ass of yourself in? just curious.

I agree with him when you're just killing for the sake of killing and just to have some fun and feel like a man. THAT is retarded, and you can't deny that some people do it just for that. (taking into consideration all the explanations you guys gave)

bowtown
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM

I like to use my hands.

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with him when you're just killing for the sake of killing and just to have some fun and feel like a man. THAT is retarded, and you can't deny that some people do it just for that. (taking into consideration all the explanations you guys gave)

I am an outdoors man. Out there it is kill or be killed. Most people don't know this or don't understand it.

I guarantee you that cat would not think twice about making you his dinner.
This is why I have no problem killing them.
Do I agree with going around killing squires, no cause they don't hunt me.

bowtown
11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I am an outdoors man. Out there it is kill or be killed. Most people don't know this or don't understand it.

Psssst... lions don't hunt you either. That cat would absolutley think twice about making you her dinner. In fact, she would only ever even come near you if she was starving or you were threatning her babies. You are too big to be worth the risk of a fight, and you are a human.

BlaK-Argentina
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM

I understand, I wasn't talking about this specific case, just in general.

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Psssst... lions don't hunt you either. That cat would absolutley think twice about making you her dinner. In fact, she would only ever even come near you if she was starving or you were threatning her babies. You are too big to be worth the risk of a fight, and you are a human.

You are wrong my friend , She would kill you, just to play around.

I will add that you would be right if we were talking about Bears, Wolves, Coyotes, snakes, moose ect... But not Lions.

BroncsRule
11-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Spide was right earlier about moose too. Moose are ornery

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM

A lion will take down a deer, by itself. You are not as large as a deer either.

There have been cases of grown men getting killed by mountain lions in areas that are not exactly remote.

I would venture to say that if someone in the areas of Idaho where this one was shot were to ever be killed by a mountain lion they would be declared "missing" because they would have been eaten.

But yes, it's still rare that it happens. Cats hunt animals larger than humans. They are not the least bit afraid of humans.

Additionally, some of you are sounding a bit ethnocentric about this topic. I personally don't hunt predators for fun, but I completely agree with managing their populations with controlled hunts.

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

no , they will hunt you down , no mistaking that , not so much now , but you used to hear stories of Cats hanging out on the edge of towns specially in wyoming , nailing campers , or hikers etc .....

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Spide was right earlier about moose too. Moose are ornery

;D there isnt an ounce of fear in a moose ....... and they are ornery

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
A lion will take down a deer, by itself. You are not as large as a deer either.

There have been cases of grown men getting killed by mountain lions in areas that are not exactly remote.

I would venture to say that if someone in the areas of Idaho where this one was shot were to ever be killed by a mountain lion they would be declared "missing" because they would have been eaten.

But yes, it's still rare that it happens. Cats hunt animals larger than humans. They are not the least bit afraid of humans.

Additionally, some of you are sounding a bit ethnocentric about this topic. I personally don't hunt predators for fun, but I completely agree with managing their populations with controlled hunts.

I remember one night , we all went into Walden Colorado a bar there ( think it was called sportsmans not sure) ,But we heard a rifle shot inside the bar , went ot go check it out , and a hunter shot a cat that was tryin to eat his deer he had in the back of his pick up ...... good times back then ;D

Taco John
11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
If people have fun killing cougars, then I say "HAVE FUN!"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
no , they will hunt you down , no mistaking that , not so much now , but you used to hear stories of Cats hanging out on the edge of towns specially in wyoming , nailing campers , or hikers etc .....

I live in the same town as this guy. He didn't kill it anywhere near town, but we do have a very healthy population of mountain lions. We also have a healthy population of black bears and wolves.

It's a bit pretentious for people to suggest we shouldn't use controlled hunts to manage these predators. They have a direct impact on our elk and deer herds. Many people in Idaho, especially in the rural communities hunt deer and elk for their primary source of meat.

The wolves have actually gotten out of control because the fed's keep screwing up our management program. Our governor just recently sent a letter to the Department of the Interior notifying them our Fish and Game Department would not longer manage "their" wolves. IE, we won't spend resource and money tracking them, or punishing those that kill them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I remember one night , we all went into Walden Colorado a bar there ( think it was called sportsmans not sure) ,But we heard a rifle shot inside the bar , went ot go check it out , and a hunter shot a cat that was tryin to eat his deer he had in the back of his pick up ...... good times back then ;D

Haha, cats are fearless. That sounds a lot like something that would happen in Idaho.

My dad killed a black bear last year that was eating his elk.

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I live in the same town as this guy. He didn't kill it anywhere near town, but we do have a very healthy population of mountain lions. We also have a healthy population of black bears and wolves.

It's a bit pretentious for people to suggest we shouldn't use controlled hunts to manage these predators. They have a direct impact on our elk and deer herds. Many people in Idaho, especially in the rural communities hunt deer and elk for their primary source of meat.

The wolves have actually gotten out of control because the fed's keep screwing up our management program. Our governor just recently sent a letter to the Department of the Interior notifying them our Fish and Game Department would not longer manage "their" wolves. IE, we won't spend resource and money tracking them, or punishing those that kill them.

well if that keeps up , you will have those cats in town ...... and thats what you dont need , a bear will retreat , but a cat , moose , and a badger will not once they are in a fight , it is to the death .......

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Haha, cats are fearless. That sounds a lot like something that would happen in Idaho.

My dad killed a black bear last year that was eating his elk.:thumbs: very little difference in Idaho and Colorado ;D .....got love these places though

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
and some of the people in these small towns are real characters ........Larger then life ;D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
well if that keeps up , you will have those cats in town ...... and thats what you dont need , a bear will retreat , but a cat , moose , and a badger will not once they are in a fight , it is to the death .......

I probably wasn't very clear. I only said I live in the same town as this guy (Meridian, Idaho which is a sister city to Boise, directly west) to give a reference point that I know what I'm talking about. We have controlled hunts for cats. Cats prefer the timber anyway.

Wolves are a much bigger concern because they breed much faster than cats or bears. They also hunt in packs and will kill herds for what appears to be fun, or territorial reason. There have been small herds of elk and deer found dead and were hardly even eaten. The wolves have become a real problem here because the federal government keeps taking away our mangement privileges. Our elk and deer herds are really starting to suffer.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
and some of the people in these small towns are real characters ........Larger then life ;D

No kidding. I visited a family with my step-brother about ten years ago in small town called Donnelly. While we were there visiting a friend of this family walked in with a colt .45 on his hip. It was in a holster western style. Being from Idaho it wasn't too shocking because I've seen people wear holsters before, but not like this guy. He just basically wears it as a form of dress.

It would be hard to get away with that in Boise, though.

Archer81
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM

There is a rumor out around where I live that a couple of wolves have moved down from Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Its not surprising, this used to be part of their range. Considering the size of our elk, antelope and deer herds plus the cattle ranching I'm not shocked if wolves moving in happened.

Of course we have bears, mountain lions, lynx and bobcats and coyotes out here too.

Spider
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I probably wasn't very clear. I only said I live in the same town as this guy (Meridian, Idaho which is a sister city to Boise, directly west) to give a reference point that I know what I'm talking about. We have controlled hunts for cats. Cats prefer the timber anyway.

Wolves are a much bigger concern because they breed much faster than cats or bears. They also hunt in packs and will kill herds for what appears to be fun, or territorial reason. There have been small herds of elk and deer found dead and were hardly even eaten. The wolves have become a real problem here because the federal government keeps taking away our mangement privileges. Our elk and deer herds are really starting to suffer.

i got a girlfriend that lives in meridian , off of amity rd , near 5 mile ......I understood what you meant , getting the wolf population under control is very key , I understand the timber part , but I have seen cats leave the cover a timber to find food ....... controlled wolf hunt would be a good thing

Quoydogs
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
i got a girlfriend that lives in meridian , off of amity rd , near 5 mile ......I understood what you meant , getting the wolf population under control is very key , I understand the timber part , but I have seen cats leave the cover a timber to find food ....... controlled wolf hunt would be a good thing

They are all over in Kuna, that just outside of meridian. They have a bird sanctuary out there and they are killing of hawks and golden eagles also. Wolves are bad news.

I understand they used to be here and I see while on paper it may look like a good idea to bring them back. in all reality so many things have changed that they will over take everything. Animals are more confined to spaces now and with the add supply of cattle it is just a big feast for them.

Kinda like the protected seal here. Sure back in the day it was fine for them to be protected but now they just sit in front of the fish ladders and eat thousands of salmon and steelhead that are forced to go threw the fish ladders.

When times change people need to understand the rules may need to change as well.

Spider
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
They are all over in Kuna, that just outside of meridian. They have a bird sanctuary out there and they are killing of hawks and golden eagles also. Wolves are bad news.

I understand they used to be here and I see while on paper it may look like a good idea to bring them back. in all reality so many things have changed that they will over take everything. Animals are more confined to spaces now and with the add supply of cattle it is just a big feast for them.

Kinda like the protected seal here. Sure back in the day it was fine for them to be protected but now they just sit in front of the fish ladders and eat thousands of salmon and steelhead that are forced to go threw the fish ladders.

When times change people need to understand the rules may need to change as well.

agreed ......

Eldorado
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I hate this ****ing thread. On multiple levels.

worm
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Wolves are bad news.

And yet they pulled the tags this year here in Idaho.

ak1971
11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
That pussy is so big it should be walking Colfax

Gort
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
If people have fun killing cougars, then I say "HAVE FUN!"

why all this hate for cougars? they just want you to buy them a drink.

http://www.vincegolangco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cougars-cougar-life.jpg

Dukes
11-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Great contribution.

Hunting a mountain lion is no easy thing to do. You need dogs, and a good set of lungs. The beauty in hunting predatory animals is they can actually hurt you. My father was nearly killed by a big horn sheep after he shot it with a bow. Luckily it died five feet in front of him and slid to his feet.

p.s. rifle hunting is for p****ies

Dutch
11-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Then feel free to exercise your right to go back to the forum. You obviously read through it all. I swear, some people's kids...... As for the idea that hunting is a responsible form of wildlife management, give up trying to convince the eco weenies on that one gents. They don't have a clue and their mind is made up, so don't confuse them with the facts. Large Cats are predators, period. You are not the top of the food chain in their world unless you are armed and paying close attention. Back in the 70's my grandparents had a cabin down in Arizona outside of Payson that backed right up to the Tonto National Forest. Had a 200lb male that killed a bunch of cattle and horses on BLM land that they finally tracked down and killed. Made for a very sketchy summer that year. Damned thing would scream at night loud as hell and would leave your hair standing on end for hours. Found massive paw prints all around the cabin several mornings.

Dutch
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Quoted for truth.

Totally. I once knew a guy who hunted Grizzly with a muzzle loader but hunting mountain lions with a bow? Yikes! Those are some big brass ones.

My ex Brother in law lives up in Fairbanks, Ak and hunts Grizzly every year with a bow. He also carries a 44 Mag as his back-up piece. He's had to use it twice now in 20 years. Yes, he is a crazy Mountain kid (grew up outside Grand Junction). He also graduated top of his class with honors from Colorado School of Mines and is the Chief Mining Engineer on the AMEX gold mine in Fairbanks (definitely NOT the typical Mines student).

Lev Vyvanse
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Then feel free to exercise your right to go back to the forum. You obviously read through it all. I swear, some people's kids...... As for the idea that hunting is a responsible form of wildlife management, give up trying to convince the eco weenies on that one gents. They don't have a clue and their mind is made up, so don't confuse them with the facts. Large Cats are predators, period. You are not the top of the food chain in their world unless you are armed and paying close attention. Back in the 70's my grandparents had a cabin down in Arizona outside of Payson that backed right up to the Tonto National Forest. Had a 200lb male that killed a bunch of cattle and horses on BLM land that they finally tracked down and killed. Made for a very sketchy summer that year. Damned thing would scream at night loud as hell and would leave your hair standing on end for hours. Found massive paw prints all around the cabin several mornings.

Wow. You are all over the ****ing place with this post. Is it wildlife management, they are predators, or they are killing livestock because none of those points really go together. If itís all of the above, maybe you can explain to me how killing predators helps manage the overcrowded herds or maybe you meant we have to kill the predators so we can thin out the heard? Regardless, you sound like you are doing a wonderful job of passing on your grandparentís message. THATíS THE WAY IT WAS AND WE LIKED IT.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/y1_NhnXMCKw/0.jpg

Archer81
11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Wow. You are all over the ****ing place with this post. Is it wildlife management, they are predators, or they are killing livestock because none of those points really go together. If itís all of the above, maybe you can explain to me how killing predators helps manage the overcrowded herds or maybe you meant we have to kill the predators so we can thin out the heard? Regardless, you sound like you are doing a wonderful job of passing on your grandparentís message. THATíS THE WAY IT WAS AND WE LIKED IT.

Its about balance. Too many predators and you overwhelm the herds available and those big predators move down from the highlands to where people are. Then you have reports of missing pets, children or livestock or bears breaking into people's houses.

Too few predators and your herd animals multiply and end up starving to death because they eat anything and everything. Some states are better at balancing this than others. It is hard, however to convince a cattle or sheep rancher not to go after wolves, cats or bears when their animals get mauled. But on the other side of that what do we expect? Its like wheeling a fat person into a buffet line roped off with toilet paper. Its way too tempting and easy to get into the buffet.

Los Broncos
11-06-2010, 12:00 AM

I heard one scream which seemed about ten feet outside the cabin, bone chilling to say the least.

Archer81
11-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I heard one scream which seemed about ten feet outside the cabin, bone chilling to say the least.

Coyotes scream and yip. Not a sound you want to hear when you are camping.

Los Broncos
11-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Coyotes scream and yip. Not a sound you want to hear when you are camping.

I heard those scream, but this was like a women screaming.

Lev Vyvanse
11-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Its about balance. Too many predators and you overwhelm the herds available and those big predators move down from the highlands to where people are. Then you have reports of missing pets, children or livestock or bears breaking into people's houses.

Too many predators?:rofl:
Are you counting humans with guns?

Dutch
11-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Too few predators and your herd animals multiply and end up starving to death because they eat anything and everything. Some states are better at balancing this than others. It is hard, however to convince a cattle or sheep rancher not to go after wolves, cats or bears when their animals get mauled. But on the other side of that what do we expect? Its like wheeling a fat person into a buffet line roped off with toilet paper. Its way too tempting and easy to get into the buffet.

This...

Archer81
11-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Too many predators?:rofl:
Are you counting humans with guns?

If you have 1000 herd animals and 20 predator animals, thats too many predator animals. 15 is pushing it, 10 would be ideal. That way you have enough to feed these cats/wolves/whatever, and you have a healthier herd of prey animals because the sick and injured get picked off.

Since no other animal hunts the overabundance of predator animals, and it would be cruel to either starve them or end up shooting them when they come out of the hills and mountains, it makes sense to permit the hunting of a few of them.

broncocalijohn
11-06-2010, 12:22 AM

How about having too many animals because last time I looked, they dont wear condoms to keep their population down. Do some research on what happens when you let an area off limits to hunting. You will have more animals die from starvation than tags given out to hunters.

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 12:27 AM
http://thegoat.backcountry.com/files/2010/03/mountain_lion.jpg

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/mountain_lion.jpg

Mountain lions are scary.

Sad.

Mountain Lions are solitary animals that rarely have any interest in humans. Humans are a threat to them. They would rather kill deer, which are generally plentiful.

Mountain Lions are also very skittish, so if you put up any sort of resistance they'll take off. If you spot one, face the thing, make yourself look big (puff out a coat, spread arms, etc), make noise and throw things at it.

Unless its starving, it will get the heck out of dodge.

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 12:29 AM
How about having too many animals because last time I looked, they dont wear condoms to keep their population down. Do some research on what happens when you let an area off limits to hunting. You will have more animals die from starvation than tags given out to hunters.

This is true generally.

In most places, that doesnt apply to mountain lions though.

Archer81
11-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Sad.

Mountain Lions are solitary animals that rarely have any interest in humans. Humans are a threat to them. They would rather kill deer, which are generally plentiful.

Mountain Lions are also very skittish, so if you put up any sort of resistance they'll take off. If you spot one, face the thing, make yourself look big (puff out a coat, spread arms, etc), make noise and throw things at it.

I am calling shenanigans on this post.

A mountain lion is bigger than you. If its of the mind to attack you, puffing up a jacket or throwing rocks at it wont do anything but piss it off. Its a cat, no kidding its going to be skittish...but if you have ever watched a house cat hunt anything...they are twitchy as **** and keep coming at their prey until its exhausted or gets killed outright.

So you go ahead and throw rocks at the big kitty. I'll take a gun. We will see who does better.

ghwk
11-06-2010, 12:40 AM

I always wanted a pet badger growing up. Man would I have been the neighborhood badass, assuming I survived my "pet" of course!

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I am calling shenanigans on this post.

A mountain lion is bigger than you. If its of the mind to attack you, puffing up a jacket or throwing rocks at it wont do anything but piss it off. Its a cat, no kidding its going to be skittish...but if you have ever watched a house cat hunt anything...they are twitchy as **** and keep coming at their prey until its exhausted or gets killed outright.

So you go ahead and throw rocks at the big kitty. I'll take a gun. We will see who does better.

You arent the only source of food for a mountain lion.

Like I said, unless it is starving, it will move on to smaller and less threatening prey. Mountain Lions generally like to take young, old, or infirmed medium-sized animals.

When you hear of mountain lion attacks in the wilderness, they usually involve children or elderly people.

The rule of the predator game in the wild is that the predator wants to expend as little energy as possible to get a kill. The energy economy is meted out for predators. It wouldnt risk its life to fight you for several minutes when it could get something that cost it less in effort.

ghwk
11-06-2010, 12:56 AM
I sort of laugh at the whole we have to kill them (whichever is in greater supply, the lion or the deer) argument. Why doesn't the whole "free market" theory apply here as well. Leave them alone and it will balance itself out over time and the strong will survive. The land will sustain whatever deer population it can and the deer population will sustain whatever lion population it can. Humans can stay the f**K out of it and it will take care of itself because they do not have choice nor can they manipulate their environment (unlike the economic free market which gets manipulated all the time).

Consider also in the grand scheme of things a lion taking out a few people a year doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to the survival of the human species so don't pretend there is one around every corner waiting to wipe us out (although it would suck to lose someone that way). The converse isn't true though, humans can do a **** load of damage in a short period of time to an animal population. If there's too many lions or deer it's because we screwed up the balance in the first place; but unbalance also provides a nifty justification to hunt. I'm not a bleeding heart about it but the arguments presented here are a joke. If you go hunting a lion it is because you like to kill them, not because you are in any danger. My hat's off to those of you that harvest what you kill, anyone who trophy hunts for the sport of it can suck my d**k. :thumbsup:

strafen
11-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I love the fact that animals like the mountain lion and grizzly bear are out there....it's part of what makes you feel alive when you are outdoors.That's why I never go camping without packing heat.
I don't care if you're not supposed to carry weapons in some camping areas.
If I'm going to go down at the mercy of a predator in the wild, I want to have a fighting chance to survive.
Nothing more depressing and frightening than being in a vulnerable position where your whole life flashes in front of you when facing a grizly bear or a mountain lion in the wild with nothing but a pocket knife on you :rofl:

mr007
11-06-2010, 01:45 AM
You want to know why it is allowed? It is because we have men in the human species. I know you don't understand but that is the best I can do for you.

Reality is that this is an obvious answer. Either we control their population or they help control ours...

Perhaps you are confusing hunting with self-defense. Just a guess here though.

mr007
11-06-2010, 01:47 AM

And people wonder why racism still exists in this country and why so many people from other countries loathe Americans. It's because of the large percentage of our population that are ****ing lemmings and aren't capable of independent thought. My daddy raised me this way so it must be right.

mr007
11-06-2010, 01:49 AM

Balance has nothing to do with this. There are plenty of methods that don't involve killing animals for the **** of it that can mitigate that. Why wouldn't they just get transported out and given a new home if that were the case? Your argument is ridiculous.

mr007
11-06-2010, 01:50 AM

Hahahaha do you have a link for this? That is just stupid - how can you possibly believe this? I'm genuinely curious.

Meck77
11-06-2010, 05:47 AM

So am I. I just don't see the woods as a place that is "kill or be killed". You sure you aren't talking about St. Louis or Detroit?

The reality is your ford truck is more likely to kill you or someone else then any critter in the wild. Come on...

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html

Cigarettes, idiots on streets, big macs. Those are the real killers!

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Hahahaha do you have a link for this? That is just stupid - how can you possibly believe this? I'm genuinely curious.

A link for what?

That more money brought into state conservation departments leads to better conservation?

Or that an unchecked predatory population can easily grow out of control?

Or, just out of my kindness and willingness to educate, would you like to discuss the overall ecological impact of an unchecked, predatory feline species? This is something bird hunters have been facing for years now.

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 06:50 AM
This is true generally.

In most places, that doesnt apply to mountain lions though.

I'm a midwest guy so I don't know about mountain lions but you seem to be understating the problem of unchecked populations. As a man of science, you should be able to appreciate it.

If anyone doesn't believe predators need to be checked, consider what's happening throughout the midwest with coyotes. They're asking people to kill on sight simply because the populations are growing too large, too fast.

I don't necessarily believe the "coydogs" propaganda but coyotes themselves are definitely a nuisance. Coyote hunting has never been anything but sport as neither their pelts nor meat are desired much and we've seen them explode. Would mountain lions do the same if people stopped hunting them?

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 06:57 AM

But that's the beauty of a well-maintained wildlife population. The population can be harvested (for whatever reason) and as long as they are done so within means, the population can be perfectly fine. The state makes money selling licenses so they can protect all the species, hunters get to enjoy the outdoors, and the animal population as a whole notices no change.

If you think of it in the sense of Bambi or something, sure it's easy to get caught up in some poor animal lost its mommy or daddy. Reality is though that it doesn't work that way and those falling victim to such logic have a real bleeding heart.

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 07:18 AM
By the way, I thought this was the case as with domestic cats but wanted to look it up. Hopefully the irony isn't lost on you fellas.

Mountain lions are solitary animals. They tend to live in remote country and are seldom seen by humans. They hunt their prey by stealth and ambush. Their method of killing is usually with a powerful bite at the base of the skull, breaking the neck. ("Living with Wildlife in Mountain Lion Country," Colorado Division of Wildlife, Denver, CO) The mountain lion, like the domestic cat with a mouse, will kill for the sake of killing. A lion may kill many more animals in an attack than it can possibly consume. Lions have killed as many as twenty sheep at one time. (U. S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services [formerly Animal Damage Control], Reno, Nevada)

http://www.aws.vcn.com/mountain_lion_fact_sheet.html

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 07:24 AM
More from that same link:

The mountain lion population is increasing over most of its current range. This is due to two factors:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://orangemane.com/BB/ /><o:p></o:p></I></FONT></P><I><FONT face=1. Food availability.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
2. Lack of predator control. This population increase has a short-term benefit, but could create long-term problems.<o:p></o:p>
The short-term benefit is that with more lions around, perhaps more people will have the pleasure of seeing them. The long-term problems are:<o:p></o:p>
1. Decline in wild game populations due to uncontrolled predation.<o:p></o:p>
2. Economic hardship - loss of hunting revenue, increase of livestock and pet losses.<o:p></o:p>
3. Spread of disease by predators.<o:p></o:p>
4. Attacks on humans.

The enormous benefits of predator control are largely ignored these days. To understand those benefits, one must ask, "What are the problems caused by predators?"<o:p></o:p>
1. The most obvious is their meat consumption. From the fox in the chicken house to the wolf in the barnyard, predation costs ranchers and farmers dearly. In the early years, the wolf, lion or bear could put a homesteader out of business in one night. Often all the homesteader had was an old milk cow and/or maybe some sheep or yearling cattle. It was common for a pack of wolves to come through and kill every animal the little farmer had. Many times cows or sheep had their udders torn off and eaten. It is interesting to note that government officials considered mountain lions as destructive as wolves in the early years.<o:p></o:p>
The consumption rate of lions is estimated at eight to ten pounds of meat per day. To illustrate this, consider the lion population in California. Wildlife officials estimate they have 5,000 mountain lions in the state. (California Department of Fish and Game, Sacramento, California) Those lions would consume 50,000 pounds of meat per day to survive. It must be noted that predators hunt 365 days a year. There are no seasons or bag limits.<o:p></o:p>
2. Predators were hard on wildlife, especially before man came. Many are the accounts of early explorers forced to eat their horses due to lack of wild game. Perhaps the most significant factor was water, or the lack of it. Few natural springs are found in the West. The scarcity of water allowed the predator ease in finding prey. Prey had to water, so the predator simply waited near the spring or river.<o:p></o:p>
Man came along and built reservoirs and dug wells and irrigation ditches. Water became more accessible and wildlife flourished, especially when the predator numbers were reduced. The abundance of wildlife today is a direct result of the improvement and management by man, including predator control.<o:p></o:p>
3. Disease was curtailed with predator control. Predators are well- documented as carriers of diseases harmful to bird and game populations. They also carry diseases harmful to man. The best known and most feared is rabies.<o:p></o:p>

Spider
11-06-2010, 07:24 AM
By the way, I thought this was the case as with domestic cats but wanted to look it up. Hopefully the irony isn't lost on you fellas.

Mountain lions are solitary animals. They tend to live in remote country and are seldom seen by humans. They hunt their prey by stealth and ambush. Their method of killing is usually with a powerful bite at the base of the skull, breaking the neck. ("Living with Wildlife in Mountain Lion Country," Colorado Division of Wildlife, Denver, CO) The mountain lion, like the domestic cat with a mouse, will kill for the sake of killing. A lion may kill many more animals in an attack than it can possibly consume. Lions have killed as many as twenty sheep at one time. (U. S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services [formerly Animal Damage Control], Reno, Nevada)

http://www.aws.vcn.com/mountain_lion_fact_sheet.html
they also kill pit bulls , rotties , and just about anything that they want ... fast , sneaky , powerful and highly intelligent

tsiguy96
11-06-2010, 07:25 AM
But that's the beauty of a well-maintained wildlife population. The population can be harvested (for whatever reason) and as long as they are done so within means, the population can be perfectly fine. The state makes money selling licenses so they can protect all the species, hunters get to enjoy the outdoors, and the animal population as a whole notices no change.

If you think of it in the sense of Bambi or something, sure it's easy to get caught up in some poor animal lost its mommy or daddy. Reality is though that it doesn't work that way and those falling victim to such logic have a real bleeding heart.

just think its so funny that people like you think teh world has to be "controlled" by your help, and its unsustainable if you dont. sorry, the world existed for quite a long time without human intervention, im pretty positive it would still do fine without you "maintaining wildlife population"

but as long as you have your rationalization to go kill animals to hang them on your wall, then by all means.

Spider
11-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Sad.

you couldnt tell the truth if your life depended on it .....this post of youres is pure bullshiat ...... Puff up a coat LMFAO ........

Spider
11-06-2010, 07:28 AM
just think its so funny that people like you think teh world has to be "controlled" by your help, and its unsustainable if you dont. sorry, the world existed for quite a long time without human intervention, im pretty positive it would still do fine without you "maintaining wildlife population"

but as long as you have your rationalization to go kill animals to hang them on your wall, then by all means.

well he is right , as we move more and more into wilderness , we disrupt the natural balance , and there is nothing worse then watching Animals starve to death , more humane to put a bullet in em

Dukes
11-06-2010, 07:30 AM

http://dailyreckoning.com/right-to-hunt-vs-animal-rights/

For you anti-hunting nazi's

Spider
11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I always wanted a pet badger growing up. Man would I have been the neighborhood badass, assuming I survived my "pet" of course!

you nut .......... :~ohyah!:

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Well it's because of us that populations change. Animals are condensed to much smaller areas as our population grows. Should we stand by and let some animals become extinct by not managing? There could easily become an inbalance in the country as we continue to to enable migrations of animals from one place to another.

My uncle was just telling me the other day how he went fishing in a neighbors catfish pond. The thing didn't get fished ever so he was excited about it. As soon as they put their poles in, they were catching fish non-stop but they were all skinny, strange looking fish. He and the other guy with him loaded up on catfish and took them home no less. When they tried cleaning them, the whole fish turned to mush masically. This pond had no check on the population, no predators aside from probably a few turtles, and everyone was eating themselves into an unhealthy state. How is that good for anything? It happens all the time in bass ponds as well.

We as Americans can't handle living alongside animals we deem dangerous like mountain lions, bears, wolves, etc. We hunt them to keep them away. Then the less damaging animals like beavers, otters, coyotes, etc move in and destroy prey populations and go unchecked. Bird hunters are up in arms over feral cats, creek fish populations are being decimated by otters and beavers being reintroduced to a lot of areas down this direction, etc, and there's no way to check these populations. It goes both ways but responsible management is a necessity.

Spider
11-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Great contribution.

Hunting a mountain lion is no easy thing to do. You need dogs, and a good set of lungs. The beauty in hunting predatory animals is they can actually hurt you. My father was nearly killed by a big horn sheep after he shot it with a bow. Luckily it died five feet in front of him and slid to his feet.

p.s. rifle hunting is for p****ies

hmmmmmm ...

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 07:43 AM
http://dailyreckoning.com/right-to-hunt-vs-animal-rights/

For you anti-hunting nazi's

Excellent article. Makes me so proud to know that my money is doing so much good. It's the same pride and love of the outdoors that is fueling my dream to one day get into wildlife conservation as a career.

^5

Dukes
11-06-2010, 07:50 AM
hmmmmmm ...

?? Sorry Spider, there's not a lot of difficulty in shooting an animal from hundreds of yards away. I'm just a bow hunter advocate. Makes it a little more fair IMO.

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
?? Sorry Spider, there's not a lot of difficulty in shooting an animal from hundreds of yards away. I'm just a bow hunter advocate. Makes it a little more fair IMO.

Eh, for some game the kill is the challenge. For some, the stalk is the challenge. For others, the challenge is not the reward and the person is looking to put food on the table so fairness should be thrown out as even a consideration.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dukes
11-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Eh, for some game the kill is the challenge. For some, the stalk is the challenge. For others, the challenge is not the reward and the person is looking to put food on the table so fairness should be thrown out as even a consideration.

Different strokes for different folks.

Very true. For someone who is strickly looking for food (which all hunters do but thats not the only reason to hunt) a rifle makes perfect sense.

Spider
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM

I have nothing against bow hunting , been years since I have been hunting , well hunting 2 legged deer but thats for another thread ;D ...... I just dont have a problem with any kind of hunting , it all serves a purpose .... :thumbsup:

elsid13
11-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I have nothing against bow hunting , been years since I have been hunting , well hunting 2 legged deer but thats for another thread ;D ...... I just dont have a problem with any kind of hunting , it all serves a purpose .... :thumbsup:

IF there is every a thread about you "hunting" Golden Girls and Trannies the Mane should be closed down and everyone here should get free mental counseling.

Spider
11-06-2010, 09:34 AM
IF there is every a thread about you "hunting" Golden Girls and Trannies the Mane should be closed down and everyone here should get free mental counseling.

Hilarious! **** you

Steve Prefontaine
11-06-2010, 09:55 AM
humans own the planet.

it's ok for humans to hunt anything, but if something hunts humans (even for food), it's wrong.

it's ok for humans to **** up the environment, because eventually we will find a way to "fix" it.

humans are better than other animals because humans can can grow their own food and manipulate the food supply.

10 kids? no problem, just plant some corn and open another chicken farm to feed them. **** the chickens, they aren't animals, they're food.

worm
11-06-2010, 10:08 AM
humans own the planet.

it's ok for humans to hunt anything, but if something hunts humans (even for food), it's wrong.

it's ok for humans to **** up the environment, because eventually we will find a way to "fix" it.

humans are better than other animals because humans can can grow their own food and manipulate the food supply.

10 kids? no problem, just plant some corn and open another chicken farm to feed them. **** the chickens, they aren't animals, they're food.

Being at the top of the food chain does have its perks.

Spider
11-06-2010, 10:08 AM
humans own the planet.

Thats the Spirit ....earth first , we can screw up th other 9 planets later

Eldorado
11-06-2010, 10:11 AM
The 'not sure if serious' pic would be appropriate here.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-06-2010, 10:16 AM
When I had the time I was an avid hunter of all things edible, and especially enjoyed bowhunting. I understand the need to manage populations of species that have lost their natural predatory checks. I get immense satisfaction of putting venison in the freezer / my belly from a successful hunt.

That said, hunting a mountain lion for sport is a terrible thing. I can understand the occasional taking of an lion that has become predatory to livestock. There is no reason otherwise IMO, and it gives hunters a bad rep.

elsid13
11-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Thats the Spirit ....earth first , we can screw up th other 9 planets later

I really hope we don't screw up Mercury, because I have plans for Taco Bell/Captain D's franchise there

Spider
11-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I really hope we don't screw up Mercury, because I have plans for Taco Bell/Captain D's franchise there
m well we will schedule it near the end... k ;D

Dukes
11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
The 'not sure if serious' pic would be appropriate here.

For what?

Spider
11-06-2010, 10:34 AM
When I had the time I was an avid hunter of all things edible, and especially enjoyed bowhunting. .

down south everything is edible ;D ... people even eat Boudan

worm
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
down south everything is edible ;D ... people even eat Boudan

Boudan rocks. Who doesn't like sausage?

Spider
11-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Boudan rocks. Who doesn't like sausage?

sausage is ok , it is the **** they stuff inside it that sucks

Archer81
11-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Balance has nothing to do with this. There are plenty of methods that don't involve killing animals for the **** of it that can mitigate that. Why wouldn't they just get transported out and given a new home if that were the case? Your argument is ridiculous.

Balance has everything to do with it. And what makes you think another state or town is going to want to take a predatory cat with a history of attacking livestock?

Yet my argument is ridiculous. Move them...you realize these cats dont stay in one place and can move back? What then? Move them again?

Are you high?

Quoydogs
11-06-2010, 11:38 AM

I am a Hunter also ( bow and riffle. ) One thing you can say about using a gun is it is a lot more humane. If you shoot an animal more times then not it does not even no what happened.

Bow not so much.

On a side note, if you want to see what banning hunting will do go look at the deer in the grand cannon. There is living proof. I saw them and it was sickening. I have never felt so bad for an animal in my life.

Dukes
11-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I am a Hunter also ( bow and riffle. ) One thing you can say about using a gun is it is a lot more humane. If you shoot an animal more times then not it does not even no what happened.

Bow not so much.

On a side note, if you want to see what banning hunting will do go look at the deer in the grand cannon. There is living proof. I saw them and it was sickening. I have never felt so bad for an animal in my life.

Good marksmanship is the key for a rifle or a bow. I've seen deer go down without taking a step with a well placed arrow. But overall your point is valid.

Spider
11-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I seem to do fine with 2 headlights ...........

Dukes
11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I seem to do fine with 2 headlights ...........

I'd imagine you could count on both hands how many deer/antelope/elk you've hit with your rig

Quoydogs
11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Balance has everything to do with it. And what makes you think another state or town is going to want to take a predatory cat with a history of attacking livestock?

Yet my argument is ridiculous. Move them...you realize these cats dont stay in one place and can move back? What then? Move them again?

Are you high?

This I will put this point out there again.

Seals.

I live in Portland and they will not let us kill the seals that come up the river and eat all the salmon.

Before Dams, the seals never came up the river because they had better odds of catching salmon in the ocean bays. Now they swim up the rivers to the dams were the salmon are forced to swim threw a fish ladder. It is an opening about 3 feet wide. They block off the salmon and start killing them by the thousands.

My point being we are killing off the salmon because we have given an unfair advantage to another.

This was caused by us and it applies to the lions as well. We have forced all the game animals into a smaller area then they would naturally have and have made them easier prey.. Soon enough without management there will be no game.

Spider
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd imagine you could count on both hands how many deer/antelope/elk you've hit with your rig
;D .. LOL on the Cross Bronx express way leaving the Bronx heading to Connecticut.... last place you expect to see a deer ........bastard

broncocalijohn
11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Sad.

You are nutso on this one. We had someone die a few years ago riding his bike. Last time i heard, the bike riders (two of them and one got mauled to death) didnt go after the lion with their Schwinns in high gear. The Lion waited for them and attacked.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/09/national/main592433.shtml

broncocalijohn
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM

If you think conservation doesnt include killing a certain number of animals like the plentiful deer, then you need to talk to a forest ranger or anyone that is involved in the business. Unless you are going to trollup in the woods with a blow gun to give a certain number of animals contracteptions, the only proper way to keep the numbers at a proper pace of increased population is to hunt with issued tags.

tsiguy96
11-06-2010, 01:02 PM
You are nutso on this one. We had someone die a few years ago riding his bike. Last time i heard, the bike riders (two of them and one got mauled to death) didnt go after the lion with their Schwinns in high gear. The Lion waited for them and attacked.

in that case, lets go kill all the mountain lions, gotta make sure no one else gets killed. same with bears, dogs, sharks, whales, snakes. just kill em all and we wont have this issue

Eldorado
11-06-2010, 01:05 PM
For what?

Post 121

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
humans own the planet.

Has anyone ever scolded a wild animal for killing a human? Anyone ever spoken of the ethical malfunction of a bear that attacks a human?

We may kill said animal to prevent another attack but everyone recognizes nature for what it is. Don't be silly.

And, again, no conservation department is going to let harvesting of an animal occur if the numbers aren't sufficient. Imagine it as a big happy ice cream tree for those of you with weak hearts. The ice cream tree will always stay the same size it is now. It can never grow larger and if you take a spoonful of ice cream, it'll just regenerate. What's so bad about taking some of the ice cream? Especially if someone then told you that the ice cream on the outside goes bad after a period of time so if you want it to look nice and fresh, all you had to do was take a spoonful of ice cream here and there and it'd stay fresh. What's the issue?

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
in that case, lets go kill all the mountain lions, gotta make sure no one else gets killed. same with bears, dogs, sharks, whales, snakes. just kill em all and we wont have this issue

Umm... you're the only person to advocate such. Responsible hunting is the key to it all. Are you just flailing to have a response at this point?

broncolife
11-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Hmmmm People are going to want to hunt illegals pretty soon.

Breeding like crazy. check
Using up resources. check

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 01:13 PM

And absolutely no check on their population nor migration.

They do meet all the requirements.

Wait... this was a trap... you weren't serious, were you?

Quoydogs
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Invasive species ?

Eldorado
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Invasive species ?

I thought he was talking about the euros wiping out the natives.

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm a midwest guy so I don't know about mountain lions but you seem to be understating the problem of unchecked populations. As a man of science, you should be able to appreciate it.

If anyone doesn't believe predators need to be checked, consider what's happening throughout the midwest with coyotes. They're asking people to kill on sight simply because the populations are growing too large, too fast.

I don't necessarily believe the "coydogs" propaganda but coyotes themselves are definitely a nuisance. Coyote hunting has never been anything but sport as neither their pelts nor meat are desired much and we've seen them explode. Would mountain lions do the same if people stopped hunting them?

Coyotes are a nuisance because they destroy property and will decimate their corner of the food chain.

Mountain Lions have such a large range that they will travel to another area if they have trouble finding food or run into territorial disputes.

Mountain Lions aren't a nuisance unless they settle in a relatively civilized area and begin taking domesticated animals, which is rare.

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Like I said before, unless a mountain lion is struggling it will not attack a human. Humans are larger and more difficult to kill than their usual prey. They risk thier lives to take a human. Mountain lion attacks are extremely rare.

From your article:

"Including Thursday's incident, there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years, five of them fatal, said Doug Updike, a biologist with the state Fish and Game Department."

That One Guy
11-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Coyotes are a nuisance because they destroy property and will decimate their corner of the food chain.

Mountain Lions have such a large range that they will travel to another area if they have trouble finding food or run into territorial disputes.

Mountain Lions aren't a nuisance unless they settle in a relatively civilized area and begin taking domesticated animals, which is rare.

OK, so you are talking specific to mountain lions. I thought you meant more general.

Never had the pleasure to deal with mountain lions and I'll keep it that way, preferably.

epicSocialism4tw
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
OK, so you are talking specific to mountain lions. I thought you meant more general.

Never had the pleasure to deal with mountain lions and I'll keep it that way, preferably.

They scare the heck out of people if they come around. I'm sure that back when our people were expanding westward, that they encountered mountain lion 'screams' at night and chalked them up to spirits or monsters. I would love to know the mythology that was born from that interaction. As settlers would move into new areas, they were sure to encounter curious mountain lions. People had livestock, and that would draw them in to take a look. Mountain lions unleash the creepiest sound when they call out at night. I imagine that it would sound similar to what the Irish and English called the "Banshee".

ghwk
11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Like it or not folks we are part of the food chain. If an opportunistic animal can kill us and eat us it will.