PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wish we had gotten Haley or Morris

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Just wondering ..... at this point I think the Bucs and Chiefs have done more with average talent then Denver has.

They seem to be going up and we seem to be going down.

Does anyone wish we would have gotten Todd Haley or Raheem Morris instead of Mcd?

I for one would trade Mcd for Morris right now. Haley I'm not to sold on just yet.

Mr. Elway
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
whah.

jhns
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I would take any of the canidates over McD at this point. The best options would have been Morris, Spags, or any of the defensive guys. The two I named are both showing that they know how it's done. Work with the team strengths and build around them.

Man-Goblin
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I wish Josh had a real GM and boss. In fact, I think every head coach should have a GM, especially a young head coach.

Pioli would have worked, but at the time we had Jim Goodman. Who knows what the team would look like right now if they could have kept him, but he should have been replaced.

In fact, didn't Pioli state he would have hired McDaniels if he could have? Haley is a hot head who all of a sudden looks great now that he's got two excellent coordinators under him. What a surprise.

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I did forget about Spagnolo. You can add him to the list

Florida_Bronco
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
No. Haley is a moron who is constantly getting in altercations with his players. Romeo Crennel's defense is what's keeping that team afloat.

I wouldn't want Morris for the simple fact that he's a 4-3 guy. I want to see the 3-4 stick here in Denver.

Ray Finkle
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
no....I do not see anything about either of them that would make me want to trade spots with McD.

baja
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
You think some day we will all laugh at this when we are winning SB's with josh?

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
no....I do not see anything about either of them that would make me want to trade spots with McD.

Not even the fact that they are contending for their divisons in their second year as coach?

I don't know .... for sure in the case of Tampa they seem to be doing more with less. When that happens I think it comes down to coaching.

If you look at position to position they don't seem to be any better then us.

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
You think some day we will all laugh at this when we are winning SB's with josh?

I hope so. I'll take a winning record just to start.

Popps
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Average talent?

Have you gone through and looked at the Chefs healthy starters v. our healthy starters?

The Bucs might be a better argument, but it very early in this process.

Right now, no... I wouldn't say I'd want to swap coaches. This is the kind of question you ask after at least 2 full seasons, if not three.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
McD is a better offensive coach than Haley but where the Chiefs did the right thing was surrounding Haley with a terrific staff and GM

Popps
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Then again, this thread was created by a top 5 whiney poster... and a guy who solely exists to ridicule Broncos players and coaches. He couldn't even make a sig-line without trashing one of our most productive players.

baja
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
McD is a better offensive coach than Haley but where the Chiefs did the right thing was surrounding Haley with a terrific staff and GM

There is a lot of debate about the skills of Scott Pioli

Traveler
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM

This!

For all intents and purposes we have the following:

2nd year GM
2nd year HC
1st year DC
OC in name only

Doesn't inspire alot of confidence. Does it? Seemingly not a lot of help there for McDaniels to right this ship.

go_broncos
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Well..Right now, I will take 49er head coach over josh.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
There is a lot of debate about the skills of Scott Pioli

maybe, but I would have accepted a crappy 1st season and a competitive 2nd season with clear signs of improvement over what we have here

that's what all 3 of those coaches have right now, and if you are a fan of one of those 3 teams, you have to be more optimistic than we are...no?

jhns
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Then again, this thread was created by a top 5 whiney poster... and a guy who solely exists to ridicule Broncos players and coaches. He couldn't even make a sig-line without trashing one of our most productive players.

Productive? That is a good one!

Don't pay attention to Popps. He is just mad that he is always wrong.

Ray Finkle
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Not even the fact that they are contending for their divisons in their second year as coach?

I don't know .... for sure in the case of Tampa they seem to be doing more with less. When that happens I think it comes down to coaching.

If you look at position to position they don't seem to be any better then us.

they have also had 2 years of top 5 picks.

Haley gambles too much and I think Morris runs his mouth too much.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
and I should amend what I said so I don't get lumped into "that" group

I AM optimistic because I am a fan and I think eventually it will get turned around...I just am not sure Josh is going to be the one to do it is all

baja
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
maybe, but I would have accepted a crappy 1st season and a competitive 2nd season with clear signs of improvement over what we have here

that's what all 3 of those coaches have right now, and if you are a fan of one of those 3 teams, you have to be more optimistic than we are...no?

Well after the Raiders game it's not hard to understand Bronco fan's deep frustration. I'll got with my standard line. I think Josh will be an elite coach someday and I hope it's for us. I reserve my opinion on rather he is or isn't our future until the end of the season.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Well after the Raiders game it's not hard to understand Bronco fan's deep frustration. I'll got with my standard line. I think Josh will be an elite coach someday and I hope it's for us. I reserve my opinion on rather he is or isn't our future until the end of the season.

I think that's fair man, I probably should do the same to be honest

jhns
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM

And McDaniels has used 5 first round picks in those two years while trading down from his top pick positions. I would say picks are not a good excuse...

go_broncos
11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

and our coach doesn't do anything.

Archer81
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
No.

Denver made the right decision for HC. We just have to wait for that decision to bear fruit. It probably does not help that Broncos fans in general are spoiled. It is hard for a fanbase used to immediate success to struggle.

Its not cool or great to see the team struggle one week to not having anything break right the next. So I remain optimistic that good things are coming.

We'll just have to wait it out.

:Broncos:

Jetmeck
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope so. I'll take a winning record just to start.

Let's start with much less penalties and the correct number of players on the field. Then beating the Chiefs would be a good start.

bendog
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Considering the fans bought the stadium for Bowlen because he said he had to have it to keep fielding high salary teams, I don't think the fans are "spoiled."

It may have been the "smart" decision to hire a cheap coach, trade two of the three guys who it would have cost big bonus money to extend because coaches and the bonuses are paid even if there's a lockout. But the fans are still gettign ****ed over by Bowlen.

mkporter
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Just wondering ..... at this point I think the Bucs and Chiefs have done more with average talent then Denver has.

Does anyone wish we would have gotten Todd Haley or Raheem Morris instead of Mcd?

I for one would trade Mcd for Morris right now. Haley I'm not to sold on just yet.

Nope. I think McD deserves 3 years to show what he can do. If I had to trade for a coach that started the same year, I'd prefer Jim Schwartz at this point.

Archer81
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Considering the fans bought the stadium for Bowlen because he said he had to have it to keep fielding high salary teams, I don't think the fans are "spoiled."

It may have been the "smart" decision to hire a cheap coach, trade two of the three guys who it would have cost big bonus money to extend because coaches and the bonuses are paid even if there's a lockout. But the fans are still gettign ****ed over by Bowlen.

Broncos fans are spoiled. Success tends to do that. The same situation will happen to Indi and NE fans when Brady and Manning call it quits. You get used to a ridiculous level of play when you have these awesome players that you expect the same level from anyone following the retired great player. We want our QB to be Elway 2.0 or our RB's to be TD 2.0 or our WR's Rod Smith 2.0 or our TE's to be Shannon Sharpe 2.0. In this way we are spoiled.

And we get upset when the current players do not perform like we are used to seeing. We expect the Broncos to be a dominant running team because they were under Shanny. We expect them to field good offensive teams because they were under Shanny. So its only natural to expect the same results from a new HC. Shanahan came in and produced right away. McDaniels should be able to do the same. Difference is McDaniels was not gifted a HOF caliber QB like Mike was. It makes it harder.

So we have to wait and see what McDaniels can do the next 24 games he is guaranteed to be Broncos' HC.

:Broncos:

bendog
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
You apparantly don't pay attention to payroll.

RaiderH8r
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I'll be honest, at the time I was stoked, really really stoked to get McKid.

Raheem Morris was second on my list. The word is that Morris' players love him, he runs a tight ship and knows his defense. However, at the time we had Cutler, Marshall, Clady, and a serviceable D I figured the guy who molded Brady and made Cassell and ran that NE offense with our young core on O had no limit. McKid knows his O and since both are relatively young and this would be their first gig I figured that to be a wash.

Well, we see what the hell I know.

I want McKid to win because I want the Broncos to win. I think he's been wrong...a lot...and needs to be held accountable for making the moves he did. There are a lot of moving parts to this Broncos machine that we don't see, that is true. But keeping a fan base, a loyal Denver fan base, means fielding a competitive squad or giving us reason to believe. I'm finding it hard to see either right now.

I'm peeved that McKid can't seem to see the value in the zone blocking scheme. Not because of Shanny or any of that nonsense but because it is a system that is best suited for the widest range of OL. I played OL in zone, option, and I systems and zone was the best. Hit a spot, move the defender and let the hole develop organically as opposed to cramming square pegs. Anyway, I digress. I think moving to a ZBS, if not in full at least in part, would help our game tremendously. I think it would help Walton in that it would simplify line calls. I think it would help Moreno use more of his talents. Ahh again, what the **** do I know anyway?

RaiderH8r
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
You apparantly don't pay attention to payroll.

I'll say it again, Bowlen has reduced his financial risk exposure in the event of a lockout. I don't blame him, he's not Double J or Snyder who can kick over the couch and find $100 Mil to toss at player salaries whenever the fancy strikes. Pat's business is football and football is his business and his biggest financial threat is a lockout.

baja
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Ya that's right Cutler & Marshall were all about money never mind Cutler & his agent maneuvered his way out of Denver and we are better off without marshall and he bee bee brain. We hired what was considered the best up and coming HC prospect. If Pat wanted to save money he would have kept Shanny.

Geez dog you used to be better than this. Maybe you should wear a mask when mowing you 5/8 of an acre, the gas fumes are causing you to go all Pat Bowlen on us.

bendog
11-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll say it again, Bowlen has reduced his financial risk exposure in the event of a lockout. I don't blame him, he's not Double J or Snyder who can kick over the couch and find $100 Mil to toss at player salaries whenever the fancy strikes. Pat's business is football and football is his business and his biggest financial threat is a lockout.

I didn't say he was irrational. I just said he's a jerk for taking people's money and intentionally putting out the worst team in the AFC west.

lostknight
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I think Josh + Pioli would have been great. Or Josh + The goodmans. Or Josh + Parcells.

The problem is not Josh as HC, it's Josh as everything else.

elsid13
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Nope. I think McD deserves 3 years to show what he can do. If I had to trade for a coach that started the same year, I'd prefer Jim Schwartz at this point.

He is the one guy that I would wish they had brought in for interview.

But the answer to the original question, no to the two mentioned, but I think Dennison would have been the right choice.

bowtown
11-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Well..Right now, I will take 49er head coach over josh.

I speaks volumes that you don't know his name.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
No. Haley is a moron who is constantly getting in altercations with his players.

Are you brain dead?

He hasn't gotten into a single altercation with a player this year.

Killericon
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Haley, Spagnuolo and Morris wouldn't've traded Cutler. Without commenting on their abilities, they wouldn't've done that, and we, in hindsight, needed that.

cmhargrove
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM

NO.

This has just been a cursed year from the beginning of training camp. The injuries mounted up, then we fielded a team that was "average" or "below average." We also have rehabbing injuries and rookies on the O-line and conventional wisdom tells you that is a rough ride.

Given all the issues with this team right now, that's kind of how we look.

I think Haley has good coordinators and good draft picks that are panning out. Tampa Bay has a lot of youth stepping up also, but I bet their schedule hasn't been nearly as brutal as ours.

Give me a healthy Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Moreno, Clady, Harris, et al. and I bet we would be 6-2 rather than 2-6.

jhns
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I think Josh + Pioli would have been great. Or Josh + The goodmans. Or Josh + Parcells.

The problem is not Josh as HC, it's Josh as everything else.

This. It is why I don't doubt that he will be much better at his next stop. He won't be anything other than a coach.

barryr
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
If McDaniels had the kind of 1st year that Morris and Haley had, I can only imagine what this forum would be like. Until Morris and Haley do anything substancial, they are no better than McDaniels.

baja
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
This. It is why I don't doubt that he will be much better at his next stop. He won't be anything other than a coach.

You say that like it's some kind of failure. There only 32 men in the world that get that job.

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Give it a rest poops it's an honest question.

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Let's start with much less penalties and the correct number of players on the field. Then beating the Chiefs would be a good start.

I'm with this ...... we just seem to be one of the worst teams in the league. Some wins may help change my opinion.

bendog
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't think it really matters who Bowlen hired. For some reason a young guy with Zero head coach experience beyond high school (his dad) was given pretty much overall control. Worm hit it on the head, there's more dysfunction than just McDaniels being adrit for his first draft and the debacle of a defense.

The good news is that it appears that there will be a lockout for at least part of next year, and McDaniels should get at least another full season in addition to that. So, if he can grow into it, he'll get four years.

NYBronco
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't care for any of those options. I prefer McD finish what he has started.

kamakazi_kal
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I'll be honest, at the time I was stoked, really really stoked to get McKid.

Raheem Morris was second on my list. The word is that Morris' players love him, he runs a tight ship and knows his defense. However, at the time we had Cutler, Marshall, Clady, and a serviceable D I figured the guy who molded Brady and made Cassell and ran that NE offense with our young core on O had no limit. McKid knows his O and since both are relatively young and this would be their first gig I figured that to be a wash.

Well, we see what the hell I know.

I want McKid to win because I want the Broncos to win. I think he's been wrong...a lot...and needs to be held accountable for making the moves he did. There are a lot of moving parts to this Broncos machine that we don't see, that is true. But keeping a fan base, a loyal Denver fan base, means fielding a competitive squad or giving us reason to believe. I'm finding it hard to see either right now.

I'm peeved that McKid can't seem to see the value in the zone blocking scheme. Not because of Shanny or any of that nonsense but because it is a system that is best suited for the widest range of OL. I played OL in zone, option, and I systems and zone was the best. Hit a spot, move the defender and let the hole develop organically as opposed to cramming square pegs. Anyway, I digress. I think moving to a ZBS, if not in full at least in part, would help our game tremendously. I think it would help Walton in that it would simplify line calls. I think it would help Moreno use more of his talents. Ahh again, what the **** do I know anyway?

But, the Patriots never used ZBS. Mcd's way of not tailoring to the teams strong points is kind of annoying. I know he has a system but cmon, wait till you have the peeps for it.

jhns
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
You say that like it's some kind of failure. There only 32 men in the world that get that job.

I'm not sure how you get that? The post you quoted is me saying that I think he can be a good coach if that is all he is doing. The reason I emphasized that part is because he isn't just a coach here, so I do think he is a failure right now.

I agree with you, he seems to be smarter than most when it comes to Xs and Os. I have never once denied that and this was the point of my post.

gunns
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I wanted Spag, I'd still like Spag. Because of the improvement he's made to St. Louis defense. They were 29th last year, 11th overall this year. 27th in rushing defense last year, 8th this year. When I kept saying I wanted him because he's a defensive minded coach, a lot of you said an offensive minded coach would have to deal with the defense also. Well the proof is in the pudding. While I think McD has done more than Shanahan, he's still focused on offense and once again it's gotten us no where.

Retire #30!!!
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Average talent?

Have you gone through and looked at the Chefs healthy starters v. our healthy starters?

The Bucs might be a better argument, but it very early in this process.

Right now, no... I wouldn't say I'd want to swap coaches. This is the kind of question you ask after at least 2 full seasons, if not three.

This... Remember we're only halfway through season 2.... Applying last year as an example seems appropriate.

11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Haley is the best coach in the division.

bowtown
11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
haley is the best coach in the division.

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The MVPlaya
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Things to take into account are that..

Cutler would still be here, no Tim Tebow, no Demaryius Thomas.

This is pretty much a knee jerk question. However, I think it would have been hard to hire Morris since he had no experience as a coord on the NFL level... Bucs would have probably been the only place he could have gotten a job.

**** no to Todd Haley.

So hindsight 20/20 doesn't work right now since it's too early, and if you turn back the clock McDaniels has the best resume out of all the coaches, and you best believe Denver could have had any coach they desired.

11-05-2010, 05:38 PM
hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

It's true.

Tom Cable is a domestic abuse specialist who belongs in an institution.

Norv Turner is a pockmarked, mushmouthed underachiever with all the motivational qualities of a turnip.

McDaniels is an immature rageaholic with a penchant for reducing a roster to rubble.

Not saying Haley is a top 10 coach or anything...but damn he looks good right now. His Jenny Craig routine alone has done wonders for the Chiefs. The fact that he stowed his ego and was secure enough to hire two former head coaches to be his coordinators says a lot. And of course he's leading the NFL 4th Down Revolution, which will be chronicled as the next great stroke of coaching genius, soon to be adopted and ripped off by all the Haley wannabes.

And he don't scream his head off no more, either.

Taco John
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Right now, Norv has proven to be the best coach in the division, facts being facts.

oubronco
11-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Exactly

11-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Right now, Norv has proven to be the best coach in the division, facts being facts.

Norv is on his way out of the division.

_Oro_
11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
3-13

RaiderH8r
11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
But, the Patriots never used ZBS. Mcd's way of not tailoring to the teams strong points is kind of annoying. I know he has a system but cmon, wait till you have the peeps for it.

Agreed, and that's one of the first problems that jumped out at me when it was clear he was trying to force a running system with personnel that would struggle to succeed within it. My thought has always been a good HC should always be looking for ways to put his players in a position to succeed, adapting and tinkering within a system to provide the greatest opportunity for success.

The funny thing is that we are also hitting on the very same issue that a lot of us felt was the reason for Shanny's struggles; that he is a fine head coach just a poor GM/President/VP of Human Relations/Accountant/VP Marketing/VP of purchasing and so on and so forth. Now, McKid doesn't run all the crap Shanny used to but it is pretty clear there needs to be an adult in the room and McKid needs to be free to focus almost all of his energies on getting his team to succeed.

Xanders and crew have done a good job clearing dead money off the books and that is commendable. We've touched on the financial risk exposure position the club has taken and, if I'm honest, I'd be inclined to do the same given the uncertainties of the 2011 season. My hope is that they can bring in a football mind in that newfound Parcells type role to evaluate talent, put in place a scouting staff and help with recruiting talented assistant coaches and coordinators.

Hopefully a CBA gets done and we see Bowlen implement a long term plan that puts competitive teams back on the field going forward.

Again, what the hell do I know anyway?

Hulamau
11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I wish Josh had a real GM and boss. In fact, I think every head coach should have a GM, especially a young head coach.

Pioli would have worked, but at the time we had Jim Goodman. Who knows what the team would look like right now if they could have kept him, but he should have been replaced.

In fact, didn't Pioli state he would have hired McDaniels if he could have? Haley is a hot head who all of a sudden looks great now that he's got two excellent coordinators under him. What a surprise.

Haley is as surprised as anyone else... Pioli, Weiss and Romeo are running that show. Haley is kinda like George Bush was.. more or less an empty suit behind which the real guys operate.

KC and Oakland finally bearing some fruit for many suckass years and an accumulation of high draft picks across the board... Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a few acorns.

In the big picture we might well benefit from the sucky season we seem fated for this year ... just wish we had 9 picks instead of 5 or whatever it is. as they all will be more or less in the upper quarter of the range for most rounds as things stand now. Plug some key holds in the front seven and safety and a new RT and RB next to Knowshon.... And 'IF' Tim takes off and becomes the real deal, things will start coming together here real quick over the next couple years.

For this year the question is if we drop two more games making the playoffs a moot point mathematically, does Orton sit and Tebow get some experience?? IF Tebow does play and wins some games and handles the rteam well, then Orton probably gets traded for a solid pick or two.

A lot will sort out in the next 8 weeks. KC is building a very good D... Pioli has a real leg up on Xanders and he had the advantage of a boat load of High picks the last two years to restock that team...

Nevertheless, I'm still convinced our draft class this year is going to be excellent when the dust settles. We need a home run in FA and the draft in April, better injury luck and a years more experience on all these young guys and we'll be right back in the hunt.

Look at guys like Flowers, Charles.. etc for KC, two years ago they weren't half the players they are now ... rebuilding takes TIME guys....

phibacka31
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Thank you god for someone... aka Hulamua to finally account for the amount of top ten draft picks they have had... After awhile you're gonna hit with some top tier talent if you're constantly drafting high. I wouldn't want either... Maybe Spags cause he's a D guy, but I'm sticking with McD. I agree with those saying we need a real GM, but come on...

Cito Pelon
11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
He is the one guy that I would wish they had brought in for interview.

But the answer to the original question, no to the two mentioned, but I think Dennison would have been the right choice.

Wait a sec here, when I was saying Dennison might be a good choice because he actually played the game, weren't you saying so what, many good HC's never played the game?

elsid13
11-07-2010, 04:22 AM

The Patriots do run ZBS, all teams do, but they also run more traps and pulls then Denver did under Shanahan , but even his last year they were adding some of that to game plan.

elsid13
11-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Wait a sec here, when I was saying Dennison might be a good choice because he actually played the game, weren't you saying so what, many good HC's never played the game?

I'm not sure what you are taking about. But there are lot of HOF coaches that never played the game at the professional level.

tsiguy96
11-07-2010, 05:27 AM
we all wish bush never got voted into office, but guess what, nothing you can do in hindsight, makes this thread silly.

spdirty
11-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I wish we would have hired Spag or Ryan.