PDA

View Full Version : what if we were injury free like the 1997 super bowl broncos?

bronco0608
11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
name a starter off that team that was injured for a significant period of time. you cant.

this team aint the 97 broncos, but major injuries to your starters will affect your record.

where would we be if the following starters

elvis dummervil
andre goodman
robert ayers
ryan harris
knowshon moreno
brian dawkins
spencer larsen

...never missed a game? sure as hell wouldnt be 2-6

you can only handle so many injuries. sometimes, luck on thr injury front plays a major role in team success.

BroncoBuff
11-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Wouldn't be 2-6, no way.

Wouldn't win the Super Bowl, either.

bronco0608
11-04-2010, 11:56 PM
something like 20 starters played 15 games or more for that 97 team. You can't funk with that. when you line up your best and lose, you can handle that. but we have been lining up our b team for the majority of the year. thats tough as ****.

tsiguy96
11-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Wouldn't be 2-6, no way.

just think if we had doom and ayers all year, nevermind the rest of the guys. we dont lose to the jets, we beat the jaguars. they would be enough to switch any close game denver lost into our favor. 49ers wouldnt have even been close i imagine.

bronco0608
11-04-2010, 11:58 PM
and you could also include Chris Kuper, Ryan Clady, Demaryius Thomas, Perrish Cox and Correll Buckhalter in that injury mix.

Its been hella tough for us

Swedish Extrovert
11-05-2010, 12:54 AM
just think if we had doom and ayers all year, nevermind the rest of the guys. we dont lose to the jets, we beat the jaguars. they would be enough to switch any close game denver lost into our favor. 49ers wouldnt have even been close i imagine.

This is what I've been saying.

We're 5-3 right now with just those two players.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Injury free, this team would be a middle of the road team. But injury free is rare, and every team is dealing with them. So the Broncos are what they are. If every team took away the injury factor then they'd all be better too, and a lot of them still better than this Broncos team.

Champagne Powder
11-05-2010, 03:34 AM
name a starter off that team that was injured for a significant period of time. you cant.

Tory James. Starting cornerback opposite of Ray Crockett tore his patella tendon in training camp. Darrien Gordon was supposed to be the nickel back that season.

go_broncos
11-05-2010, 04:10 AM
Typical excuses.Every team has injuries...The problem with our team is coaching.
Just keep dreaming that we will be better team with them.
The player's that you mentioned played last year.Still, we won only 2 games after bye week.
Most of the teams in NFL can give the same excuse..

Jetmeck
11-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Typical excuses.Every team has injuries...The problem with our team is coaching.
The player's that you mentioned played last year.Still, we won only 2 games after bye week.

YEP. Scheme...coaching. Hired a dumbass coordinator or line coach. Fired the old good one.....you name it McD has made the mistake.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 06:30 AM
I just don't fully buy into the "if we were only injury free" garbage.

I realize the importance of Doom and Ayers, but I cannot say for sure we win any of the games we lost with them in or not...and it's silly to even speculate.

Look at the Colts then bitch about injuries, they keep rolling because aside from Manning they have the system to plug players in to succeed.

I myself am not convinced we get more than an extra win with a full squad this year, our coaching is just miserable top to bottom. Sure it would help, but I think it's an excuse and it's sad that we have reached the point of accepting the product and make excuses for it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Injury free, this team would be a middle of the road team. But injury free is rare, and every team is dealing with them. So the Broncos are what they are. If every team took away the injury factor then they'd all be better too, and a lot of them still better than this Broncos team.

How many of those teams who are dealing with injuries lost the NFL's defending sack leader for the entire season, then couldn't get pressure on the QB?

I think we'd be middle of the road as well, but I bet we'd be at LEAST 4-4, if not 5-3.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 06:34 AM
YEP. Scheme...coaching. Hired a dumbass coordinator or line coach. Fired the old good one.....you name it McD has made the mistake.

Christ, you are a ****ing retard. No, seriously. Do you live in a home where they wipe your ass for you? I'm not sure you're actually capable of doing something like that.

The old coach wasn't fired. In fact, none of the old coaches were fired. DURKA DURRRRRRRRRRR.

What a ****ing dip**** retard loser.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 06:35 AM
How many of those teams who are dealing with injuries lost the NFL's defending sack leader for the entire season, then couldn't get pressure on the QB?

I think we'd be middle of the road as well, but I bet we'd be at LEAST 4-4, if not 5-3.

I absolutely think it's a valid point Moose, but if we are relying on one single person on defense to keep us above water...then the problems are a lot deeper than we all realize

Teams like the Ravens and Steelers can lose crucial guys and plug other guys in to at least get them by for a while...why is that do you think?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I absolutely think it's a valid point Moose, but if we are relying on one single person on defense to keep us above water...then the problems are a lot deeper than we all realize

Teams like the Ravens and Steelers can lose crucial guys and plug other guys in to at least get them by for a while...why is that do you think?

I understand that Rabb (what happened to the Mc?), and it was just a single example. I could point to the running game with backups on the line and a MASH unit in the backfield as well.

But losing Elvis is a MAJOR loss for this team. A guy like that is just one guy, true, but he also makes everyone on the line better. He makes linebackers better. With him and a healthy Ayers on the other end... instead of Moss and whoeverthe**** we have playing opposite him... I mean, it makes a huge difference.

And since everything starts up front on defense...

Rabb
11-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I had to drop the Mc, I just cannot support the coach right now...not really a hater yet but the honeymoon is over for me.

I hope you are right man, my point is that if we had better backups this wouldn't happen...and the choosing/drafting of players is on the staff.

who knows, go Broncos

baja
11-05-2010, 06:48 AM
and you could also include Chris Kuper, Ryan Clady, Demaryius Thomas, Perrish Cox and Correll Buckhalter in that injury mix.

Its been hella tough for us

We lost White for the year too and he was looking like a good fit in preseason.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 06:51 AM
I had to drop the Mc, I just cannot support the coach right now...not really a hater yet but the honeymoon is over for me.

I hope you are right man, my point is that if we had better backups this wouldn't happen...and the choosing/drafting of players is on the staff.

who knows, go Broncos

That's cool. And you're right, if we had better backups we would be better. There's no question about it.

But getting good backups is a lot harder than you'd think, especially when we re-tooled almost the entire defense from the dog**** it had been previously. We spent our picks and FA pickups to get starters, combined with a little bit of depth, but you don't draft a guy in the first three rounds to be a backup, and you don't hit on many late round picks as starters. I just don't know where we're expecting these starting-quality backups to come from.

jhns
11-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Why would it matter? Most of the game costing mistakes are from opening day starters...

While we are playing the if game, we should also do it for the 2008 team. They had more injuries than this one currently does. I bet Shanahan would be working on his 5th SB here at this point if he didn't have to deal with injuries. It is just too bad Bowlen doesn't see this as an excuse.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 06:59 AM
That's cool. And you're right, if we had better backups we would be better. There's no question about it.

But getting good backups is a lot harder than you'd think, especially when we re-tooled almost the entire defense from the dog**** it had been previously. We spent our picks and FA pickups to get starters, combined with a little bit of depth, but you don't draft a guy in the first three rounds to be a backup, and you don't hit on many late round picks as starters. I just don't know where we're expecting these starting-quality backups to come from.

that's fair enough, but how do teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh manage to do it then?

baja
11-05-2010, 07:01 AM
that's fair enough, but how do teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh manage to do it then?

They didn't have Mike Shanahan drafting for them for the previous ten years.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 07:02 AM

When was the last time either of those teams had a complete rebuild on either side of the ball? They've got 3-4 year vets as their backups who have been in the system for the entirety of those years. We're playing rookies or journeymen in a lot of those roles.

That's how I see it, anyway.

TailgateNut
11-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Christ, you are a ****ing retard. No, seriously. Do you live in a home where they wipe your ass for you? I'm not sure you're actually capable of doing something like that.

The old coach wasn't fired. In fact, none of the old coaches were fired. DURKA DURRRRRRRRRRR.

^5 This also applies to gobroncos (assinine moniker) who is also a douche.

tsiguy96
11-05-2010, 07:04 AM

I realize the importance of Doom and Ayers, but I cannot say for sure we win any of the games we lost with them in or not...and it's silly to even speculate.

Look at the Colts then b**** about injuries, they keep rolling because aside from Manning they have the system to plug players in to succeed.

I myself am not convinced we get more than an extra win with a full squad this year, our coaching is just miserable top to bottom. Sure it would help, but I think it's an excuse and it's sad that we have reached the point of accepting the product and make excuses for it.

have them lose dwight freeney in preseason, see how good their D is then.

baja
11-05-2010, 07:05 AM
^5 This also applies to gobroncos (assinine moniker) who is also a douche.

You forgot the underscore, it's go (underscore) broncos. Cleaver no?

Rabb
11-05-2010, 07:08 AM
They didn't have Mike Shanahan drafting for them for the previous ten years.

that's basically my point

Ozzie makes sure that they make the right decisions, and are able to weather a storm like this year where their entire secondary including Ed Reed was decimated

I get that some teams get lucky with drafting and all that...but the two teams I mentioned aren't getting lucky for this long, they are making smart decisions

take Bannan for example, he was a role player in Baltimore and someone we need to succeed here as a starter...they plug the next guy in and just moved on

tsiguy96
You forgot the underscore, it's go (underscore) broncos. Cleaver no?

http://reviews.cookingcache.com/Uploaded/Images/Tojiro%20Cleaver.jpg

Rabb
When was the last time either of those teams had a complete rebuild on either side of the ball? They've got 3-4 year vets as their backups who have been in the system for the entirety of those years. We're playing rookies or journeymen in a lot of those roles.

That's how I see it, anyway.

I agree with you 100% and we are making the same point

they don't go through a rebuild for a reason

jhns
11-05-2010, 07:09 AM

LOL

A 5 year old can come with better smack than you.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 07:10 AM

Doom isn't Freeney, hate to break that to us all

but I would wager that they would get past it somehow...they aren't 100% relying on Freeney for their defense to succeed

baja
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
http://reviews.cookingcache.com/Uploaded/Images/Tojiro%20Cleaver.jpg

Clever cleaver.

baja
11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
LOL

Are you saying you are younger than 5.:holyguac!

jhns
11-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Are you saying you are younger than 5.:holyguac!

Sometimes.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 07:41 AM
LOL

Oh, so the coaches WERE fired? That's weird. Link?

Oh right. Just more mindless **** talk from Dumb**** McGillicutty.

jhns
11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Oh, so the coaches WERE fired? That's weird. Link?

Oh right. Just more mindless **** talk from Dumb**** McGillicutty.

A coach has to have been fired for your smack to be that of a 5 year old? Odd.

You're a stupid do-do head!

Ouch.

Royalfan19
11-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Injuries are part of football.

The year Shanny got fired we lost every single runningback we had, and lost both fullbacks including Hillis, who was our entire running game. We also lost 3 defensive starters that all happened to be captains, and lost nearly our entire linebacking corps. People forget that year we were way ahead in the AFC west, beating a hot jets team and a hot atlanta team back to back, held them to very few points with the patchwork slowdick defense and looked like we were an elite team until our entire linebacking corps and runningback group broke something.

Two years before that we had secondary players get hurt right before a championship game against the Steelers where we dropped 5 interceptions, two in the redzone against a young Ben Rothlesberger who forced footballs worse than Cutler that game. You can call that luck or injury but we heavily outmatched the seahawks and would've won the superbowl that year in all likelyhood if our dbacks didnt drop all those picks (1 pick six by champ, 1 by DJ, 1 by gold, 1 by fergusoni in the endzone off the top of my head)

Years ago, we demolished the colts in a game where the colts were trying to get a bye week and we were trying to get in the playoffs. We knocked Peyton Manning around like a rag doll. The playoffs started the very next week, and we were picked as the darkhorse by many because we were hot and we destroyed the colts just a week earlier. Then, Trevor Pryce - the one guy destroying their line, and Lenny Walls - starting corner at the time, both got hurt (Lenny played with a cast). We got burned the following week by like 30 points, and they attacked Lenny all game.

The list goes on. Luck and Injury are a part of football, hell, Tom Brady and the Patriots came out of no where due to a combination of both luck and injury.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 08:05 AM
A coach has to have been fired for your smack to be that of a 5 year old? Odd.

You're a stupid do-do head!

Ouch.

You should try to follow the thread.

See, his claim was that the coaches were fired. They weren't. Making him wrong.

I told him he was wrong, just as he's been wrong every time he's claimed the same exact argument.

Are you really too slow to figure this out on your own? No wonder everyone here hates you. You're wantonly stupid.

Rabb
11-05-2010, 08:08 AM

The year Shanny got fired we lost every single runningback we had, and lost both fullbacks including Hillis, who was our entire running game. We also lost 3 defensive starters that all happened to be captains, nearly our entire linebacker corps. People forget that year we were way ahead in the AFC west, beating a hot jets team and a hot atlanta team back to back, held them to very few points with the patchwork slowdick defense and looked like we were an elite team until our entire linebacking corps and runningback group broke something.

Two years before that we had secondary players get hurt right before a championship game against the Steelers where we dropped 5 interceptions, two in the redzone against a young Ben Rothlesberger who forced footballs worse than Cutler that game. You can call that luck or injury but we heavily outmatched the seahawks and would've won the superbowl that year in all likelyhood if our dbacks didnt drop all those picks (1 pick six by champ, 1 by DJ, 1 by gold, 1 by fergusoni in the endzone off the top of my head)

Years ago, we demolished the colts in a game where the colts were trying to get a bye week and we were trying to get in the playoffs. We knocked Peyton Manning around like a rag doll. The playoffs started the very next week, and we were picked as the darkhorse by many because we were hot and we destroyed the colts just a week earlier. Then, Trevor Pryce - the one guy destroying their line, and Lenny Walls - starting corner at the time, both got hurt (Lenny played with a cast). We got burned the following week by like 30 points, and they attacked Lenny all game.

The list goes on. Luck and Injury are a part of football, hell, Tom Brady and the Patriots came out of no where due to a combination of both luck and injury.

great post

jhns
11-05-2010, 08:23 AM
You should try to follow the thread.

See, his claim was that the coaches were fired. They weren't. Making him wrong.

I told him he was wrong, just as he's been wrong every time he's claimed the same exact argument.

Are you really too slow to figure this out on your own? No wonder everyone here hates you. You're wantonly stupid.

LOL

Ummm, I have not commented on the subject of that post. What are you even going on about?

jhns
11-05-2010, 08:26 AM

The year Shanny got fired we lost every single runningback we had, and lost both fullbacks including Hillis, who was our entire running game. We also lost 3 defensive starters that all happened to be captains, and lost nearly our entire linebacking corps. People forget that year we were way ahead in the AFC west, beating a hot jets team and a hot atlanta team back to back, held them to very few points with the patchwork slowdick defense and looked like we were an elite team until our entire linebacking corps and runningback group broke something.

Best post of the thread.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Well like it was stated earlier in this thread, we had him last year, and where did that get the Broncos? Middle of the road.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM

The Colts could lose Freeney for the season in the preseason and still make the playoffs.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Well like it was stated earlier in this thread, we had him last year, and where did that get the Broncos? Middle of the road.

Hey, I'm not debating that. It also got us out to a 6-0 start. And I even said we'd probably be middle of the road with Doom.

vancejohnson82
11-05-2010, 08:49 AM

so we wouldnt be a better team with those players?

your agenda is absurdly obvious

baja
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
The Colts could lose Freeney for the season in the preseason and still make the playoffs.

Take away their best player and what do you think they would do?

Colts without Manning = ?

Mile High Shack
11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
as other have said

we wouldn't be 2-6, but we wouldn't be 8-0 either

probably more like 4-4, our offensive line is horrible right now and that is where it starts on offense

defensively, we might be ok, but our offense has serious issues

Taco John
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM

How about the Patriots without Tom Brady?

Taco John
11-05-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't think that I understand your point. Who on our team are you comparing to Manning?

Rabb
11-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't think that I understand your point. Who on our team are you comparing to Manning?

I hope it's not Doom

I loooooove the guy for what he is, a pass rush specialist

but I would argue he may not even be the most complete LB on our team

WolfpackGuy
11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Are the replacements really the ones costing the team games?

3-5.

baja
11-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Thank you TJ that is exactly why I hope Josh makes it in Denver.

I credit the team first system comprised of smart versatile football players and a flexible scheme with a lot of options as versus a few stars and a bunch of journeymen for NE's continued success. They have a plug and play system.

The problem is that it takes considerable time to build a team like this. Longer than a normal rebuild because the attitude must be team wide so you have got to find 52 players that fit that mold and two drafts are not enough. The question we need to ask is this team on schedule with this kind of complete rebuild. I still think it is.

baja
11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm talking about when a team loses it's best player. Manning is the Colt's best player. Doom is our best player at lease he is our most disruptive player.

The poster I was quoting was making the comparison that we loosing Doom was akin to the Colts losing Freeny. I don't think the impact is near the same given the differences between the two teams.

Popps
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Yea, I've posted a thread like this... and many posts. But, there's some kind of mojo that follows you around when times are good, and bad. The karma-train seems to pick up steam in one direction or the other.

It's not just injuries, it's bad luck... calls, etc.. Now, you certainly can mitigate a lot of this stuff by what you're doing on the field. Injuries are part of the game, and they should be expected. That's why you have depth.

Still, there comes a time when it's just too much... and when you're in year 2 of a rebuild like we are, injuries can turn a .500'ish team into a losing team in a hurry.

Again, I thought we might go 9-7, 8-8... given the tough schedule and the young O-line.
Once we started dropping like flies, my expectations became much more realistic.

Now, I just want to see solid effort, growth and whatever wins we can scrape up.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
Are the replacements really the ones costing the team games?

3-5.

Rookie corners getting burned by good QBs when forced onto the field due to injury? Yeah, I'd say replacements are among those costing the team games.

Obviously, the discussion doesn't exist in a vacuum, and I'm certainly not arguing that we'd be 8-0. But 2-6? I don't think we'd be that bad.

vancejohnson82
Thank you TJ that is exactly why I hope Josh makes it in Denver.

I credit the team first system comprised of smart versatile football players and a flexible scheme with a lot of options as versus a few stars and a bunch of journeymen for NE's continued success. They have a plug and play system.

The problem is that it takes considerable time to build a team like this. Longer than a normal rebuild because the attitude must be team wide so you have got to find 52 players that fit that mold and two drafts are not enough. The question we need to ask is this team on schedule with this kind of complete rebuild. I still think it is.

Exactly...I like the foundation that is in place. And now we are starting to add some depth (Cox, Thomas, etc...) which I really like. We are good with the WRs, LBs and offensive backfield for a while.

My only complaint about the rebuilding is that we havent addressed the D-line really. This team historically struggles to fill this need...which could be because we always end up drafting in the middle of the first....perhaps the ONE good thing that comes out of a bad season is the ability to pick up a big guy up front

gunns
11-05-2010, 09:17 AM

Look at the Colts then b**** about injuries, they keep rolling because aside from Manning they have the system to plug players in to succeed.

I agree and look at the Saints, RB's injured, several defensive players and a bad line. Still they are 5-3. Every team deals with injuries, some are vital. My concern with the Broncos is the way the entire team is playing...or not. You cannot put this season just on injuries.

gunns
11-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Exactly...I like the foundation that is in place. And now we are starting to add some depth (Cox, Thomas, etc...) which I really like. We are good with the WRs, LBs and offensive backfield for a while.

My only complaint about the rebuilding is that we havent addressed the D-line really. This team historically struggles to fill this need...which could be because we always end up drafting in the middle of the first....perhaps the ONE good thing that comes out of a bad season is the ability to pick up a big guy up front

Or could be because we focus too much on offense or taking specialized defensive positions. Let's just hope it is a wake up call and we DO take one in the first round, although I see Josh trading away a high pick for more which isn't a bad thing as long as we get the right player.

vancejohnson82
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree and look at the Saints, RB's injured, several defensive players and a bad line. Still they are 5-3. Every team deals with injuries, some are vital. My concern with the Broncos is the way the entire team is playing...or not. You cannot put this season just on injuries.

again, I think its unfair to compare the defending SB champs to a team that finished 7-9 last year.

Taco John
11-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm talking about when a team loses it's best player. Manning is the Colt's best player. Doom is our best player at lease he is our most disruptive player.

Doom is one of our best players, but he hardly has the impact for our team that Manning has for the Colts. You should at least look for apples to apples comparisons.

vancejohnson82
11-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Or could be because we focus too much on offense or taking specialized defensive positions. Let's just hope it is a wake up call and we DO take one in the first round, although I see Josh trading away a high pick for more which isn't a bad thing as long as we get the right player.

true....I have said in the past that although I did like (for the most part) the drafts Josh put together, he definitely went after skill positions and defensive guys who fit into certain elements of our defensive philosophy (whatever that is now). We needed Moreno in my opinion....when we drafted Thomas there really were no big D-line guys there who were worth the value pick

The one spot where I feel we could have picked someone up to help us in the trenches....damnit, i cant believe im going to bring him up....is when we traded up and grab A. Smith.

baja
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Yea, I've posted a thread like this... and many posts. But, there's some kind of mojo that follows you around when times are good, and bad. The karma-train seems to pick up steam in one direction or the other.

It's not just injuries, it's bad luck... calls, etc.. Now, you certainly can mitigate a lot of this stuff by what you're doing on the field. Injuries are part of the game, and they should be expected. That's why you have depth.

Still, there comes a time when it's just too much... and when you're in year 2 of a rebuild like we are, injuries can turn a .500'ish team into a losing team in a hurry.

Again, I thought we might go 9-7, 8-8... given the tough schedule and the young O-line.
Once we started dropping like flies, my expectations became much more realistic.

Now, I just want to see solid effort, growth and whatever wins we can scrape up.

I honestly believe this is a legitimate reason. We do seem snakebit. Couple that with being in the early stages of a complete system rebuild and it's hard to overcome.

baja
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Doom is one of our best players, but he hardly has the impact for our team that Manning has for the Colts. You should at least look for apples to apples comparisons.

Doom being out is closer to Manning being out than Freeny being out in terms of impact to the respective teams.. You are right it is not a fair comparison but it is closer than the Freeny comparison given the make up of both teams.

gunns
11-05-2010, 09:39 AM
again, I think its unfair to compare the defending SB champs to a team that finished 7-9 last year.

We were 8-8, just saying. Last years SB champs does not equate to playing like a SB team this year. And if it is unfair then there might be part of the answer as far as the Broncos, we just don't have the players needed in other positions that have not been injured. But I do think it's fair because a lot of the players out for extended amounts of time for NO were instrumental in them winning the SB and have depleted the play of Brees.

vancejohnson82
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
We were 8-8, just saying. Last years SB champs does not equate to playing like a SB team this year. And if it is unfair then there might be part of the answer as far as the Broncos, we just don't have the players needed in other positions that have not been injured. But I do think it's fair because a lot of the players out for extended amounts of time for NO were instrumental in them winning the SB and have depleted the play of Brees.

in regards to the Saints, I think the Pierre Thomas injury is the one who hurts them the most. They ran so much play action down the field plays in big situations last year that it really limits their playbook with Chris Ivory (WTF) in there.

Bush's injury takes a few wrinkles out...and I think that Brees is hurt

Doom, Ayers and the Dawkins injury were the ones that killed us...turned our defense into a joke

lostknight
11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Great Post.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Well I'd say Manning is an exception, and the Broncos don't have a Manning. ;D

baja
11-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Well I'd say Manning is an exception, and the Broncos don't have a Manning.

Well the point is losing Doom was pretty crippling to our D.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Well the point is losing Doom was pretty crippling to our D.

I'll agree that losing Doom hurts bad, but it's not the difference between being 5-3 and 2-6. Doom is a really good player, but he's not that good.

baja
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I'll agree that losing Doom hurts bad, but it's not the difference between being 5-3 and 2-6. Doom is a really good player, but he's not that good.

True but factor in all the other injuries on a make shift D and you can make a good case that we have a couple of more wins.

vancejohnson82
11-05-2010, 10:00 AM

WHy is everyone quoting this post?

The Colts game was a mirage....they played a vanilla scheme, realizing that if they lost we were coming there the next week...and we got SMOKED the following week...if you dont think the Colts wanted to see us two weeks in a row you're dreaming.

THe Steelers AFCCG? We got killed. Sure we dropped a few picks but that team was overmatched AT HOME. We got nothing going on offense until the second half and Rothlesraper killed us on every big play.

The JEts game and Atlanta game are pretty good examples. We beat the Jets in a monsoon after we got a few questionable calls (see the fumble we returned for a TD) and beat the Falcons after they dropped a game winning pass on their last drive. Basically the 50/50 plays that we got that year, are going against us this year. That's part of football too.

Oh, and we finished 8-8 that year.

Jason in LA
11-05-2010, 10:05 AM
True but factor in all the other injuries on a make shift D and you can make a good case that we have a couple of more wins.

I guess my point is that injuries isn't the main issue with this team. It is one issue, but this team wasn't going to be close to being contenders with an injury free roster. Better teams have managed to get by with injuries and stay in the playoff hunt.

baja
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I guess my point is that injuries isn't the main issue with this team. It is one issue, but this team wasn't going to be close to being contenders with an injury free roster. Better teams have managed to get by with injuries and stay in the playoff hunt.

I never said anything about being contenders we are in the early part of a complete rebuild. I do think we'd have a couple of more wins sans the injuries on D though.

Champagne Powder
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Do you work for the PR department? This is crap.

Todd Haley, Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo are from the same 2009 coaching class as McDaniels and took over far dire situations. None of them won more than four games last year and all of them are winning this year.

In 2007, the Dolphins went 1-15 and the Falcons were 4-12. The next year both teams made the playoffs with new coaches.

The landscape of the NFL has changed. Three-year rebuild is not a legitimate excuse.

This 4-14 stretch is unacceptable and if the Broncos don't improve on that in the second half, McDaniels should be shown the door.

jhns
11-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Todd Haley, Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo are from the same 2009 coaching class as McDaniels and took over far dire situations. None of them won more than four games last year and all of them are winning this year.

In 2007, the Dolphins went 1-15 and the Falcons were 4-12. The next year both teams made the playoffs with new coaches.

The landscape of the NFL has changed. Three-year rebuild is not a legitimate excuse.

This 4-14 stretch is unacceptable and if the Broncos don't improve on that in the second half, McDaniels should be shown the door.

Exactly. Shanahan just took over a top 5 pick team from last season and made the same kind of scheme changes that this team did. They are already playing better than this one. The excuses won't stop though. They are all a McDaniels supporter has.

Archer81
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM

They both had last place schedules.

Denver played a 2nd place schedule in a fluke year in the NFL where both the Colts and Pats and Steelers were 2nd place finishers the year before...

and the year after they both made the playoffs, both teams fell off and missed it the next season.

McDaniels will get a third year regardless of how this season ends.

:Broncos:

bendog
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
yeah, we'd be the orangecrush.

(sarcasm)

TheChamp24
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

The 2008 squad that went 11-5 without him?

Hulamau
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't be 2-6, no way.

Maybe not this year but we'd definitely be a close favorite to win this questioanble division. I say 6-2 or 5-3 at worst at the break. And all else beign equal every one here is swinging on Josh's nutsack. :-)

But as they say .. if pigs could fly ?! :peace:

P.S. what will be very interesting to watch is if Josh and the team are able to turn it around and have at least a winning second half of the year with better all around play even possibley squeaking into the playoffs this year and start to dominate next year?? .. What will all the drama queens around here who have already slit their wrists and have hired the Taliban to take McD out do then ??? That would be very interesting to watch :-)

Really hope we get to watch that circus! Ha!

bendog
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Doom doesn't help with run defense, and Ayers is on the edge. Any decent oline gashes these guys. This thread is really a dis at one of the best defenses in the modern (post Unitis) era.

baja
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Maybe not this year but we'd definitely be a close favorite to win this questioanble division. I say 6-2 or 5-3 at worst at the break. And all else beign equal every one here is swinging on Josh's nutsack. :-)

P.S. what will be very interesting to watch is if Josh and the team are able to turn it around and have at least a winning second half of the year with better all around play even possibley squeaking into the playoffs this year and start to dominate next year?? ..<b> What will all the drama queens around here who have already slit their wrists and have hired the Taliban to take McD out do then ??? That would be very interesting to watch :-)

We have already seen what will happen. Some will leave some will pretend they were always on Josh's side saying things like, "Deep down I always was pulling for Josh".

And God help you if you remind them of their previous position. You will be slammed with the dreaded Fan Police label.

bendog
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I think people who call him "josh" are the flip side of those who call him a tiny napoleon. But, he might become a good coach with time, and the broncos might go back to being a team that maxes out the cap, and they may, and imo they do have, good reasons for not spending large right now. But at present, he isn't getting it done, and at present Den is a cheap team.

zdoor
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I think people who call him "josh" are the flip side of those who call him a tiny napoleon. But, he might become a good coach with time, and the broncos might go back to being a team that maxes out the cap, and they may, and imo they do have, good reasons for not spending large right now. But at present, he isn't getting it done, and at present Den is a cheap team.

Pretty much dead on...

chadta
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

the D didnt make us go 3 and out for the entire first half

baja
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I think people who call him "josh" are the flip side of those who call him a tiny napoleon. But, he might become a good coach with time, and the broncos might go back to being a team that maxes out the cap, and they may, and imo they do have, good reasons for not spending large right now. But at present, he isn't getting it done,<b> and at present Den is a cheap team.

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

Ya we are losing because Pat is not spending enough money sounds like my ex's logic.

Take a look at the teams spending less than the Broncos and get back to be about what losers they are. While you're at look at the teams spending the most and report back all the winners you find.

baja
11-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Here I'll make it easy for ya;

Year / Total Payroll
NFL Teams Total Payroll
NFL Oakland Raiders Team Salaries $ 152,389,371
NFL Dallas Cowboys Team Salaries $ 146,401,600
NFL Minnesota Vikings Team Salaries $ 133,354,045
NFL Cleveland Browns Team Salaries $ 131,916,300
NFL New Orleans Saints Team Salaries $ 131,531,820
NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Team Salaries $ 128,815,061
NFL Tennessee Titans Team Salaries $ 126,017,443
NFL Arizona Cardinals Team Salaries $ 122,110,110
NFL Jacksonville Jaguars Team Salaries $ 122,109,207
NFL Chicago Bears Team Salaries $ 120,065,819
NFL San Francisco 49ers Team Salaries $ 118,766,239
NFL New York Jets Team Salaries $ 116,910,097
NFL St. Louis Rams Team Salaries $ 116,677,660
NFL New York Giants Team Salaries $ 115,816,180
NFL Miami Dolphins Team Salaries $ 114,649,660
NFL Buffalo Bills Team Salaries $ 113,364,927
NFL Carolina Panthers Team Salaries $ 112,114,711
NFL Washington Redskins Team Salaries $ 111,963,684
NFL San Diego Chargers Team Salaries $ 111,813,340
NFL Cincinnati Bengals Team Salaries $ 109,727,880
NFL Philadelphia Eagles Team Salaries $ 109,557,398
NFL Houston Texans Team Salaries $ 108,445,418
NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Salaries $ 104,329,311
NFL Seattle Seahawks Team Salaries $ 102,985,710
NFL Atlanta Falcons Team Salaries $ 96,391,525
NFL Detroit Lions Team Salaries $ 95,827,117
NFL Denver Broncos Team Salaries $ 95,599,778
NFL Green Bay Packers Team Salaries $ 94,018,300
NFL Indianapolis Colts Team Salaries $ 93,373,915
NFL New England Patriots Team Salaries $ 92,734,120
NFL Baltimore Ravens Team Salaries $ 90,713,965
NFL Kansas City Chiefs Team Salaries $ 83,623,776

jhns
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Some will leave some will pretend they were always on Josh's side.

This is my plan. No one calls you the fan police unless you question fanhood though. What I will call you is a liar.

Champagne Powder
11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
They both had last place schedules.

Denver played a 2nd place schedule in a fluke year in the NFL where both the Colts and Pats and Steelers were 2nd place finishers the year before...

and the year after they both made the playoffs, both teams fell off and missed it the next season.

McDaniels will get a third year regardless of how this season ends.

More excuses.

Last place schedule is not what it used to be in the 1990s.

Division rivals share 14 of 16 opponents now.

TheChamp24
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM

P.S. what will be very interesting to watch is if Josh and the team are able to turn it around and have at least a winning second half of the year with better all around play even possibley squeaking into the playoffs this year and start to dominate next year?? .. What will all the drama queens around here who have already slit their wrists and have hired the Taliban to take McD out do then ??? That would be very interesting to watch :-)

You kidding me? Even putting the injuries aside I say we'd be lucky to be 4-4. I seriously don't think having Dumervil would solve the run defense issues.

bendog
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
baja, you just posted that Denver has the sixth lowest payroll in the nfl. LOL

congratulations, we now know how chorf fans felt with peterson

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178103&page=2

but again, since you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to post: a) there may be good reasons why Bowlen shut off the ATM, and if i were him I'd prolly do so too (and I'd trade cutler but not for cassel and BM),

b) as shanny has shown more than once, spending the money doesn't mean a team always wins (though dallas and minny are trying harder than denver to win)

c) just because a person acknowledges the fact that Wash is spending 15 million this year, or roughly 15%, more than Denver doesn't mean one hates bowlen or the broncos or the coach. BUT when the owner is on record as saying taxpayer funding of the stadium will allow him to keep spending in the upper regions of the league, and then he doesn't do so, there is a lack of candor towards those people shelling out hefty ticket prices not to menation tax bills.

have a nice weekend.

baja
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
baja, you just posted that Denver has the sixth lowest payroll in the nfl. LOL

congratulations, we now know how chorf fans felt with peterson

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178103&page=2

but again, since you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to post: a) there may be good reasons why Bowlen shut off the ATM, and if i were him I'd prolly do so too (and I'd trade cutler but not for cassel and BM),

b) as shanny has shown more than once, spending the money doesn't mean a team always wins (though dallas and minny are trying harder than denver to win)

c) just because a person acknowledges the fact that Wash is spending 15 million this year, or roughly 15%, more than Denver doesn't mean one hates bowlen or the broncos or the coach. <b> BUT when the owner is on record as saying taxpayer funding of the stadium will allow him to keep spending in the upper regions of the league, and then he doesn't do so, there is a lack of candor towards those people shelling out hefty ticket prices not to menation tax bills.

have a nice weekend.

Nice spin that is not what you have been saying.

If he is tightening the purse strings why the extension for Orton why the big contracts for Doom and Kuper. He has spent more unnecessary money than most teams with these extensions.

mhgaffney
11-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Baltimore is winning -- and they are near the bottom.

Figures do not tell the whole story.

strafen
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

Figures do not tell the whole story.And oddly enough, there are more SB winners in the last decade or so from of the bottom six teams than there are from the top six teams (highest payroll...)

Archer81
11-05-2010, 06:00 PM
You kidding me? Even putting the injuries aside I say we'd be lucky to be 4-4. I seriously don't think having Dumervil would solve the run defense issues.

Maybe not directly.

But a passrush that Dumervil and Ayres would have provided would have made those 2nd and 6's or 3rd and 4's that we get now into 2nd and 10 or 3rd and long. Harder to run and get first downs in those situations. Football is complimentary. A good passrush can help the run defense almost as much as it helps coverage in the secondary.

epicSocialism4tw
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Those dudes werent injury free.

They were just tougher.

TomServo
11-06-2010, 12:59 AM
what if i had hit that last white ball while playing powerball? i would have won $72 Mil. instead of $20K. if, nuts, candy buts.....
the packers are still contending with as many or worse injuries than us. a good coach stocks up on good backups. McD thinks he can plug Any player into his system and win.
hey mcD, if you trade all your talent away all you have is your "system" how is that system working out so far?

mkporter
11-06-2010, 06:32 AM

this team aint the 97 broncos, but major injuries to your starters will affect your record.

where would we be if the following starters

elvis dummervil
andre goodman
robert ayers
ryan harris
knowshon moreno
brian dawkins
spencer larsen

...never missed a game? sure as hell wouldnt be 2-6

you can only handle so many injuries. sometimes, luck on thr injury front plays a major role in team success.

What if we didn't have any injuries? You mean like last year? We'd be mediocre instead of bad. We just need to increase the overall talent level of the team so that our backups are decent players, which in several instances, they are not. Rebuilding a team takes time, and if we continue to draft like we did this year instead of like we did last year, we'll get there. Additionally, as we go forward the collective level of experience in our systems will increase, and our starters and backups should become more proficient at their jobs. In theory of course. :sunshine:

Rabb
11-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Figures do not tell the whole story.

I've been saying this all week, there is a reason the Baltimores of the NFL can lose guys (they lost basically their whole secondary including he who shall not be named/drafted) and moved on just fine

and it's not spending

hint: their organization top to bottom evaluates talent better and gets quality backups

Ozzie is a damn genius

Royalfan19
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
WHy is everyone quoting this post?

The Colts game was a mirage....they played a vanilla scheme, realizing that if they lost we were coming there the next week...and we got SMOKED the following week...if you dont think the Colts wanted to see us two weeks in a row you're dreaming.

THe Steelers AFCCG? We got killed. Sure we dropped a few picks but that team was overmatched AT HOME. We got nothing going on offense until the second half and Rothlesraper killed us on every big play.

The JEts game and Atlanta game are pretty good examples. We beat the Jets in a monsoon after we got a few questionable calls (see the fumble we returned for a TD) and beat the Falcons after they dropped a game winning pass on their last drive. Basically the 50/50 plays that we got that year, are going against us this year. That's part of football too.

Oh, and we finished 8-8 that year.

Indy was playing for a bye week, are you saying they wanted to play us instead of taking the entire week off to heal up?

5 dropped picks will change any game around.

Two picks were in the redzone, and one of them, went through the hands of Nick Ferguson and was a touchdown pass. Champ Baileys dropped pick was on a quick hitch that he bit hard on, if he caught it, he would've ran it back for a touch down.

Thats a 28 point swing on 3 drops.

The game after the falcons we lost our best inside linebacker who was finally holding up against the run, and we lost our only running threat in hillis after miami, that completely changed our ability to compete.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I've been saying this all week, there is a reason the Baltimores of the NFL can lose guys (they lost basically their whole secondary including he who shall not be named/drafted) and moved on just fine

and it's not spending

hint: their organization top to bottom evaluates talent better and gets quality backups

Ozzie is a damn genius

Ozzie's been there the whole time, too. That makes a difference.

We started from scratch. Discounting that is silly.

TheChamp24
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Indy was playing for a bye week, are you saying they wanted to play us instead of taking the entire week off to heal up?

5 dropped picks will change any game around.

Two picks were in the redzone, and one of them, went through the hands of Nick Ferguson and was a touchdown pass. Champ Baileys dropped pick was on a quick hitch that he bit hard on, if he caught it, he would've ran it back for a touch down.

Thats a 28 point swing on 3 drops.

The game after the falcons we lost our best inside linebacker who was finally holding up against the run, and we lost our only running threat in hillis after miami, that completely changed our ability to compete.

In 2004, the Colts were NOT playing for a bye week. The Pats were 14-2 and the Steelers went 15-1 that year, the Colts finished 12-4. Even if they won, they wouldn't have gotten a bye.
That game in 2004, Manning and the starters played 1-2 series on offense then the backups were in and we essentially rolled the Colts B team to get into the playoffs, ala the Jets of last year.

Royalfan19
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
In 2004, the Colts were NOT playing for a bye week. The Pats were 14-2 and the Steelers went 15-1 that year, the Colts finished 12-4. Even if they won, they wouldn't have gotten a bye.
That game in 2004, Manning and the starters played 1-2 series on offense then the backups were in and we essentially rolled the Colts B team to get into the playoffs, ala the Jets of last year.

You guys are both thinking of the wrong game. (it was in 2003, we didn't play them back to back, it was a week apart.)

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2003122111/2003/REG16/broncos@colts

We played them, got in the playoffs then we rested our starters against green bay before playing them again.

Colts were playing for a bye week, Broncos needed the game to get in the playoffs.

Peyton played that game, we terrorized him. He finished with 150 yard through the air and Edge had less than 50 yards on the ground.

Q-rich tore them up and Portis was going to be healthy for the playoffs. Thats when people thought Denver would roll INdy in the playoffs.