PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here try "Stinkin' Hot Chili " ?

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
It is not available over here that I have found. I was watching a show and Stink was on there says he has launched a new line of Green Chili and I was wondering if it was any good ?

DHallblows
11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Woah, woah, a NEW line of his chili?! I'll have to try this!
I tried his chili a few years ago, it was pretty good. Not ground breaking, but still tasty.

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
It's okay. King Soopers carries it. Not as good as homemade, but it'll do in a pinch.

theAPAOps5
11-04-2010, 08:53 AM
There isn't a new line. Its Stinks Stinking Good Green Chili and comes in mild, medium, and hot. Haven't tried it but have wanted to!

Rabb
11-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I married a Spaniard, hers wins

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Woah, woah, a NEW line of his chili?! I'll have to try this!
I tried his chili a few years ago, it was pretty good. Not ground breaking, but still tasty.

Yep I guess it's main ingredient Its Green Chili's no beans from what I can see.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBtzmbImKW4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBtzmbImKW4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>:

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Yep I guess it's main ingredient Its Green Chili's no beans from what I can see.

That's a Colorado traditional recipe. Here, they bring out the chili cookers on Federal Blvd every year and you go buy bushels of them and then cook up a batch of green chile that basically consists of chilis and pork chunks. I use pork shoulder. Then you add what you like. Some put in tomatoes. Cilantro. Cumin. But no beans. I never saw it until I moved here.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
No self respecting Coloradan buys store chili. Ya make your own cauldron of heat at home.

I just picked up 3 bushels of chilis last week (1 Hatch HotX, 1 Hatch x-tra hot XXX, and 1 Pueblo DynomiteXXXX.

I tasted the XXXHatch and my lips were on FIRE for about an hour.

Rabb
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
the smell of roasted chilis when we go is easily one of the top 3 best smells on the planet

Rabb
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
No self respecting Coloradan buys store chili. Ya make your own cauldron of heat at home.

I just picked up 3 bushels of chilis last week (1 Hatch HotX, 1 Hatch x-tra hot XXX, and 1 Pueblo DynomiteXXXX.

+1

I am not just saying it, my wife makes better green chile than any restaurant I have ever been to

I could just eat bowls of it with nothing else but her tortillas

we just stocked up as well for the winter...and we will use every damn one of them

crush17
11-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Any green chili bought in a can isn't worth your money.

missingnumber7
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I had never had Green chili until OM weekend last year...TGNS was awesome...so naturally I thought i would try stink's...no where near it...it was good, but nothing like What TGN had.

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I would love to try some anybody want to throw me a receipt ?

crush17
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
+1

I am not just saying it, my wife makes better green chile than any restaurant I have ever been to

I could just eat bowls of it with nothing else but her tortillas

we just stocked up as well for the winter...and we will use every damn one of them

My fiancee's dad makes the best I've ever had. I would love to put it up to the pepsi challenge!

;)

cousinal11
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Man I want some chicken nachos. Dammit.

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Man I want some chicken nachos. Dammit.

I JUST WANT SOME OF THIS DAMN CHILI ! Now more then before

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM

I've had to tone down the heat. I can't take the "after" effects. :wiggle:

McDman
11-04-2010, 12:41 PM
What is green chili? I know my parents loved it when we lived in Denver but we don't have it here in TN. What do you eat it on?

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I would love to try some anybody want to throw me a receipt ?

If I told you our family secret (we've won a few contests with our recipe) I'd have to kill ya.;D

I start with about 12-14 lbs of pork, 4-5qt baggies of chilis, onions, roma tomatoes, lotsa garlic, onions, jalapenoes, water and a lot o love. Then fine tune and thicken with masa flour and do lots of tasting;D.

It's a long process (prep and cook time about 4 hours) but I usually end up with about 2-1/2-3gallons.

I haven't found a green chili that will give me a run for the money and my wife makes a white chicken chili that is "out of this world".

theAPAOps5
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
did you mean give me the "runs" for the money... :)

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
What is green chili? I know my parents loved it when we lived in Denver but we don't have it here in TN. What do you eat it on?

It's "awesomeness in a bowl", and you eat it right out of the bowl, or smother anything (Eggs, burritos, hash browns,pork chops......) with it.

I especially love it for breakfast, clears the nostrils and stokes the fire within.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
did you mean give me the "runs" for the money... :)

I guess if you have weak interior components.:~ohyah!:

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Yep. Green chile is a staple breakfast food.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I've had to tone down the heat. I can't take the "after" effects. :wiggle:

Just keep a fire extinguisher in the bathroom, or take some Ben and Jerry's and rub it on the "affected parts".;D

McDman
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
It's "awesomeness in a bowl", and you eat it right out of the bowl, or smother anything (Eggs, burritos, hash browns,pork chops......) with it.

I especially love it for breakfast, clears the nostrils and stokes the fire within.

So is it just choped up green chilis?

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Just keep a fire extinguisher in the bathroom, or take some Ben and Jerry's and rub it on the "affected parts".;D

I should install a bidet. :rofl:

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
So is it just choped up green chilis?

There's a lot more to it, but you have to start with hatch chilis, if not it's bunk, IMO.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Or an inverted ice maker.:rofl:

Rohirrim
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
There's a lot more to it, but you have to start with hatch chilis, if not it's bunk, IMO.

I'm going to try masa. I usually use a sprinkling of flour on the pork so it later makes a gravy. Haven't tried masa. I love cilantro and garlic in mine.

missingnumber7
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I haven't found a green chili that will give me a run for the money and my wife makes a white chicken chili that is "out of this world".

Sounds like something that I need to try.

missingnumber7
11-04-2010, 01:23 PM

I spent a little time in Japan and didn't know what all the buttons on the side of the toilet were for...lets just say i was in for a supprise when i tried a courtesy flush.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm going to try masa. I usually use a sprinkling of flour on the pork so it later makes a gravy. Haven't tried masa. I love cilantro and garlic in mine.

The masa works better than corn starch to thicken the sauce, doesn't get lumpy!

cmhargrove
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
*** Insert Mark Schlereth animated GIF saying "They're Garbage" here ***

McDman
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Alright, someone has to send me the recipe that they say is so good! I need to try it and I figure nothing in a can will beat homemade. Ill send some rep out!

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
*** Insert Mark Schlereth animated GIF saying "They're Garbage" here ***

Well, I've tried his stuff (someone brought some of it to one of our tailgaters), and I wouldn't buy it.

Sorry "stink", I loved you as a Bronco, but your chili sucks.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Alright, someone has to send me the recipe that they say is so good! I need to try it and I figure nothing in a can will beat homemade. Ill send some rep out!

I doubt you can get Hatch chilis in your neck o da woods. If ya can't, ya can't make it.
It would be like making crab cakes with that fake crab meat/ pollock fish.

McDman
11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I doubt you can get Hatch chilis in your neck o da woods. If ya can't, ya can't make it.
It would be like making crab cakes with that fake crab meat/ pollock fish.

I'm sure Fresh Market or Earth Fair have it. They have all the expensive, nice things.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm sure Fresh Market or Earth Fair have it. They have all the expensive, nice things.

Hatch isn't expensive (per se) I paid $20, $23 and $25 for my bushels this year, but the "real McCoy" is only grown in Hatch, New Mexico and I also buy some of the Pueblo crop each year because those chilis have flames shooting out when you slice them.;D

bronclvr
11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I lived in New Mexico for a while (it was my first "big" Manager's Job), and my Customers were the Farmers who grew Hatch Chili-it's great stuff, and it seemed like they would be roasting it on every street corner down there-i love the stuff-(but my innards don't always)-you have to be careful when peeling/cutting them though-don't rub your eyes! :devil:

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
So is this even close to a good receipt.

Old Fashioned Colorado Green Chili
This is a flavorful, simple recipe that can easily be modified to suit your taste.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. cubed pork
1 tbsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (you can substitute 1 14 oz can)
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups diced green chiles (about 20 chiles)
2 cups diced onion.
Salt & pepper to taste.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I lived in New Mexico for a while (it was my first "big" Manager's Job), and my Customers were the Farmers who grew Hatch Chili-it's great stuff, and it seemed like they would be roasting it on every street corner down there-i love the stuff-(but my innards don't always)-you have to be careful when peeling/cutting them though-don't rub your eyes! :devil:

Or grabbing your "junk" before washing your hands.:wiggle:

Usually you wash up after, but in this particular situation I suggest a good scrubbing prior to doing your business.

Quoydogs
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Or grabbing your "junk" before washing your hands.:wiggle:

Usually you wash up after, but in this particular situation I suggest a good scrubbing prior to doing your business.

I did that once making Salsa with the Jalapenos not good. Oh and what ever you do don't run and jump in the shower to wash it off. Trust me on this one.

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM
So is this even close to a good receipt.

Old Fashioned Colorado Green Chili
This is a flavorful, simple recipe that can easily be modified to suit your taste.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. cubed pork
1 tbsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (you can substitute 1 14 oz can)
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups diced green chiles (about 20 chiles)
2 cups diced onion.
Salt & pepper to taste.

It's all a matter of taste and trial and error. How much meat do you like, how hot do you want it and how hot is the crop. WTF is it with the chicken broth???

Just start with a bit of lard or canola oil and slightly brown your pork, then start adding the diced onions, chilis (peel the paperlike skin and chop em up, (I leave all the seeds for the extra heat), chopped garlic and some water. Let it simmer over med heat and then add the remaining ingredients. I usually cook it at least for a few hours to allow the chilis to do their magic. Once the neat is tender and you have the right amount of "Spicyness" bring it to a boil and thicken it with masa flour of cornstarch.

Oh, the fun part, Taste test every 10 minutes.:thumbs:

crowebomber
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
You guys need to come down to Pueblo in September for the Chile and Frijole Fest. You can try some great green chile from quite a few local restaurants, then pick up a bushel and go home and make it yourself. I have some chile in my freezer that will probably burn a hole through it! :devil:

TailgateNut
11-04-2010, 03:46 PM
You guys need to come down to Pueblo in September for the Chile and Frijole Fest. You can try some great green chile from quite a few local restaurants, then pick up a bushel and go home and make it yourself. I have some chile in my freezer that will probably burn a hole through it! :devil:

Pueblos' crop always seem to be just a bit HOTTER than the Hatch crop. I've got a bushel in the freezer and I just used the last bit of last years crop.

lookin' glass
11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
It's all a matter of taste and trial and error. How much meat do you like, how hot do you want it and how hot is the crop. WTF is it with the chicken broth???

Just start with a bit of lard or canola oil and slightly brown your pork, then start adding the diced onions, chilis (peel the paperlike skin and chop em up, (I leave all the seeds for the extra heat), chopped garlic and some water. Let it simmer over med heat and then add the remaining ingredients. I usually cook it at least for a few hours to allow the chilis to do their magic. Once the neat is tender and you have the right amount of "Spicyness" bring it to a boil and thicken it with masa flour of cornstarch.

Oh, the fun part, Taste test every 10 minutes.:thumbs:

You guys are killing me with this. I imported some Hatch chilis this year to try and make some CO green. I haven't had anything like here in CA. Thanks for the tips.
TGN, in looking on the net for tips ( I don't usually cook but in this case it's all I've got ) like the recipe posted one of the main components is chicken broth or chicken stock?!? Then again there are recipes with all kinds of stuff. Some say use tomatos others say don't. Some say tomatillos. Some say make it thick, others thin. Some call it a form of soup. It can be mind-numbing when trying to discern a good CO green chili.
One guy wanted a starting point for CO chili and he noted those who've had it knew what he was talking about. I don't know if he ever got an answer to his question. But there was some interesting discussion about it.
The smell of the chilis cooking is heavenly and has been added to my things that make the Fall my favorite time of year.

Broncos4tw
11-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I use the hottest green chilis I can, but also toss in some habaneros, serranoes, jalepenoes, fresnos, and red potatoes (added late), and of course, lots of other ingredients. I usually always use tomatillos, and sometimes use chicken broth, depending on the consistency I want.

I've not bought jar-made salsa, green chili or spaghetti sauce in ages. Homemade is so much better. And my fettuccine Alfredo and chimichurri are killer-good. ;D

Nicks on Chambers road in Aurora (close to Iliff), has some xxx dynamite something-or-other hatch chili peppers. Last year when I got a bushel, I made a green sauce for pork chops. My wife and I usually eat incredibly hot stuff without a problem - we were dying with these, it was amazing how hot they were.

gunns
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
the smell of roasted chilis when we go is easily one of the top 3 best smells on the planet

Yes it is. My mother in law used to roast for a good week. I visited her house often during that time. I do it now occasionally but I get lazy. Maybe when I retire....

bombay
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not going to eat anything that has 'stink' in the title.

Besides, everyone in Denver has quart containers they or their wives made and want to give you.

rmsanger
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
He brings it every Thursday to Mike & Mike if any of you watch that show...

Dudeskey
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I get about 4 bushels a year from pueblo. Don't need Stink's chili... ;D

Dudeskey
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Hatch isn't expensive (per se) I paid $20, $23 and $25 for my bushels this year, but the "real McCoy" is only grown in Hatch, New Mexico and I also buy some of the Pueblo crop each year because those chilis have flames shooting out when you slice them.;D

Their dynamite is the ****

TailgateNut
11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Their dynamite is the ****

Yep, they are so damn hot, if you lay a few on the front porch it'll keep the Jehovas witnesses away.;D

TailgateNut
11-05-2010, 12:40 AM
You guys are killing me with this. I imported some Hatch chilis this year to try and make some CO green. I haven't had anything like here in CA. Thanks for the tips.
TGN, in looking on the net for tips ( I don't usually cook but in this case it's all I've got ) like the recipe posted one of the main components is chicken broth or chicken stock?!? Then again there are recipes with all kinds of stuff. Some say use tomatos others say don't. Some say tomatillos. Some say make it thick, others thin. Some call it a form of soup. It can be mind-numbing when trying to discern a good CO green chili.
One guy wanted a starting point for CO chili and he noted those who've had it knew what he was talking about. I don't know if he ever got an answer to his question. But there was some interesting discussion about it.
The smell of the chilis cooking is heavenly and has been added to my things that make the Fall my favorite time of year.

If you have enough pork in the mix, there is no need to adulterate it with chicken stock. Trim some of the fat, but not all. It'll make a good base with just water. They key is to cook it "low and slow". Patience!

lookin' glass
11-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks TGN. I'll give it a try.