PDA

View Full Version : thrown?

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
just reflecting on witnessing my first live bronco lost 2-1 now. Im not trying to post a negative thread with this but was sundays loss down to the players "influencing" the game on purpose because Mc D has lost the team?
when orton fumbled from where i was sat he didnt look like he was protecting the ball with his life,so to speak? the missed PAT just looked like it was done on purpose? every punt looked goofed on purpose and Prater doesnt miss on PAT's ?
like i say not wanting this to be a negative thread but just asking? am i reading it wrong?

Rabb
11-02-2010, 07:27 AM
oh boy

tsiguy96
11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
wow...

jhns
11-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I doubt it. The players aren't going to risk never playing again after every team sees them doing this stuff. This is a result of horrible coaching. The players are not disciplined and they are not the smart players that McDaniels preached about bringing in. I guarantee you that they are still trying to be good.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 07:32 AM
it was a feeling a few people had and were talking about it on the tube.

Chris
11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
In a word no.

manchambo
11-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Sweet mother of God. This is stupid, and borderline insane, for many reasons. But if a quarterback wanted to throw a game, he wouldn't do something as obvious as fumbling. All he would have to do is not make completion on third down. And why in the name of Christ would a kicker throw a pat? How about not scoring the td in the first place?

I think you need to check yourself into a residential facility for extensive testing, pharmacological therapy, and potentially shock treatment.

Los Broncos
11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
The PAT was a shank, nothing more.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
manchambo,no need for that ffs, like i said it was just a general feeling on the tube after the game and i thought it needed asking .

go_broncos
11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
nobody likes Mcd..that's the bottom line.

Rohirrim
11-02-2010, 07:59 AM
After last week's ass-kicking the team lacks confidence. The best way to get it back would be to kick the crap out of the Chiefs in two weeks. If they pull another stumbling, bumbling, fumbling performance in that game, the mental issues could become terminal requiring massive upheaval to repair. The game against the Chiefs is the most crucial in McDaniel's career. There's a cancer growing in the teams' psyche. If Josh doesn't figure out a way to cure it, and quick, it will take him down with the team.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 08:10 AM
rohirrim,if its spread now HOW does it stop speading? is it too late?

tsiguy96
11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
answer: since mcdaniels is getting 2011, he needs to draft the most badass D player in teh draft. i dont care what position, but a player that the entire D can rally around. as weve seen with wilson, atwater, dawkins etc, something about being a defensive player and leader is something the entire team can feed off.

Rohirrim
11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
rohirrim,if its spread now HOW does it stop speading? is it too late?

IMO, the only thing that stops it is a win. They have got to beat the Chiefs. It's their 3:10 to Yuma, so to speak.

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 08:26 AM
manchambo,no need for that ffs, like i said it was just a general feeling on the tube after the game and i thought it needed asking .

Who was saying that?

PRBronco
11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
answer: since mcdaniels is getting 2011, he needs to draft the most badass D player in teh draft. i dont care what position, but a player that the entire D can rally around. as weve seen with wilson, atwater, dawkins etc, something about being a defensive player and leader is something the entire team can feed off.

I'm not sure if I would base my plan for success on the team rallying around a rookie. He would have to be Suh-esque.

bowtown
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lwyp--6UDlE/S84QYrNbYRI/AAAAAAAACtA/bIVq4U7S9UI/s1600/633673729262531831-TinfoilHat.jpg

Gort
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Sweet mother of God. This is stupid, and borderline insane, for many reasons. But if a quarterback wanted to throw a game, he wouldn't do something as obvious as fumbling. All he would have to do is not make completion on third down. And why in the name of Christ would a kicker throw a pat? How about not scoring the td in the first place?

I think you need to check yourself into a residential facility for extensive testing, pharmacological therapy, and potentially shock treatment.

anybody who wants to see what a "thrown" game might possibly look like, just watch Superbowl III. HOF'er Bubba Smith to this day swears that the fix was in.

nobody knows for sure. but you do have a NY team involved. on paper, they were really no match for the Colts. the Colts journeyman QB had a miserable day before being benched, famously not even seeing a wide open Jimmy Orr for what would have been a sure TD on a flea flicker.

Namath was involved with mobsters in a nightclub he owned. and this is all back in the days when players took offseason jobs to make ends meet.

to throw a game, you just need to be plausibly bad enough so that each drive stalls before you score. a couple of missed big plays here and there and that could be the difference. same thing if the refs are involved. a single holding penalty to call back a TD or stall a drive late in close game can be enough to do the trick.

i'm not saying any games were fixed or are fixed. but i am saying that you can make a reasonable case that games in the 50's/60's/70's were probably at risk of being fixed if the mob saw an opportunity to make alot of money off the betting. SB III would have been the perfect "score" for them. you find a player with a gambling problem an you exploit it. that's exactly why Art Schlichter was run out of the NFL.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Who was saying that?

fans who had travelled from Denver.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lwyp--6UDlE/S84QYrNbYRI/AAAAAAAACtA/bIVq4U7S9UI/s1600/633673729262531831-TinfoilHat.jpg

looks good to me :thumbs:;D

JJG
11-02-2010, 09:00 AM
just reflecting on witnessing my first live bronco lost 2-1 now. Im not trying to post a negative thread with this but was sundays loss down to the players "influencing" the game on purpose because Mc D has lost the team?
when orton fumbled from where i was sat he didnt look like he was protecting the ball with his life,so to speak? the missed PAT just looked like it was done on purpose? every punt looked goofed on purpose and Prater doesnt miss on PAT's ?
like i say not wanting this to be a negative thread but just asking? am i reading it wrong?

Yes

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Oh, for a second I thought you had it on good authority.

Carry on, tin foil hats engage.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
thanks jjg

JJG
11-02-2010, 09:03 AM

This is the london version of "I heard it on the light rail"?

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
This is the london version of "I heard it on the light rail"?

yes

Jason in LA
11-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Chances are that a rookie isn't going to turn around a team in his rookie year. Very few rookies do that. Hell, a lot of first round picks don't even start their rookie season, and the ones that do usually don't dominate. Next year's draft isn't going to make 2011 a good year.

Jason in LA
11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
No, the Broncos are not throwing games on purpose. That's just silly. They just aren't very good.

tsiguy96
11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if I would base my plan for success on the team rallying around a rookie. He would have to be Suh-esque.

very true. couple points though, we will have a high pick this year, time to face facts with that (even if they go on an 6-2 run, should give us 10-13 pick). and you HAVE to draft defensive front 7 early at some point, you just have to, and this needs to be the year that the broncos, regardless of who coaches, needs to get that talent in the draft and build upon it.

broncosteven
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM

At 1st I thought when you said Tube that the BBC sportscasters were talking about the game being thrown.

Then it clicked as I read through the thread that it was on the subway.

People after a tough loss are usually drunk and pissed about their favorite team losing especially if they travelled 3k miles to get there.

I was shocked that a Vet who has played as long as Orton has didn't protect the ball better once he was outside the pocket and on the run but I don't think he was trying to do anything else than pickup as much yardage as he could.

The shank happens to every kicker at least once in their career more than once and they usually don't last long in the league.

manchambo
11-02-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm not even sure what "ffs" is (can't anyone just speak English, or even Spanish, anymore?). But you made a ridiculous, scurrilous suggestion, and you deserve what you got and more.

Ambiguous
11-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Which is why you should be ridiculed to no end.

baja
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
nobody likes Mcd..that's the bottom line.

A classic go_boncos post.

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not even sure what "ffs" is (can't anyone just speak English, or even Spanish, anymore?). But you made a ridiculous, scurrilous suggestion, and you deserve what you got and more.

4 p h u c k's sake.

Your post is accurate.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Stefangs/wEu1y.gif

baja
11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
To the OP the answer is No.

Beantown Bronco
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Professional sports are a lot like the JFK assassination. Most outsiders believe there is no conspiracy, but it certainly seems like everyone involved really goes out of their way to make it look like a conspiracy.

Ray Finkle
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
BB, if it wasn't for your hypnotizing Avatar, I may have to say something bad about you but now I can't remember what I was writing....boobs.....jiggly

Rohirrim
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Let's put it this way: Last week we couldn't generate a pass rush, and they had a TE playing LT.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
oh well guess that answers my question then like i say was only asking what was being said, thanks for the abuse folks,think i will go get my bronco fix elswhere some where a litttle more friendly.like this site used to be.

bendog
11-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, I am having difficulty accepting the fact that the broncos and josh mcdaniels really do suck as much as they really do suck.

Los Broncos
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
oh well guess that answers my question then like i say was only asking what was being said, thanks for the abuse folks,think i will go get my bronco fix elswhere some where a litttle more friendly.like this site used to be.

Nobody hates you, just how it is.

Just take it on the chin.

baja
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Let's put it this way: Last week we couldn't generate a pass rush, and they had a TE playing LT.

well our two best (only) pass rushers were back in Denver so there is that...

baja
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Don't do that Blue. Consider the sources.

oubronco
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM

How the hell can anyone read anything when those boobs are bouncing like that

SouthStndJunkie
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Keep a stiff upper lip.

baja
11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Keep a stiff upper lip.

...and if you don't can I have your avatar?

j/k you better not go anywhere.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-02-2010, 12:49 PM

I think Kyle forgot that most DT's in the league can catch him from behind. That, and only Walter Payton is allowed to run with the ball like that.

Tuck the freakin ball Kyle!

manchambo
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM

I have an avatar of Saddam Hussein and one of his henchmen screaming at someone. And I try in most of my posts to achieve a tone in keeping with my avatar. I don't think it should bother you so much if I'm not nice to you. I am just an internet halfwit, after all.

Miss I.
11-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Hey man. despite the outcome, it was awesome seeing you at the game. You don't go okay. These guys just get their knickers in a knot sometimes.

But as for the original post. no I don't think we do it on purpose, but for some reason we just can't make the plays we need to make on the field and it needs to be addressed.

TailgateNut
11-02-2010, 04:18 PM

That figures. We've had lots of non-natives jump on board. ****ing ignorant.

Cito Pelon
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Hey, Only mad dogs and Englishmen dare to brave the Mane. ;D

DivineBronco
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

and that is the other way to get people to stop poking at ya......saying you are going to leave....this will end well