gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Midterm grades for the entire roster. My system is quite easy:

A, above reasonable expectations for that player/position
B, acceptable
C, did not meet expectations
O, not enough material to judge on

QB:
Orton (A): Definitely surpassed expectations stat wise, has cooled off significantly and had a lot of problems on 3rd down and in the red zone, but it is not part of the real problem.
Quinn and Tebow (O): Not much to say, Tebow is a gimmick player and Quinn is a clipboard holder.

RB:
Moreno (B): Between his injury and the lousy run blocking he has not met expectations, but he is the best RB on the team by some distance and the only one who should have continued employment into 2011 if and when that season starts.
Maroney (C): He runs more yards lateraly than he does forwards or backwards, he has a nasty habbit of stopping just before he gets hit thereby never falling forward and in general tends to cost himself 1 or 2 yard at the end of almost every run. He is a non-factor on passing plays as he can't block or catch.
Buckhalter (C): The best blocker, but has slowed down since last year and looks like he is at the end of his rope.

FB:
Larsen (A): He has caught the ball and in the limited play time he has recieved he improved the run game, benefits from very low expectations.

TE:
Graham (B): Is a nonfactor in the passing game, is almost always the 7th blocker or completely irrelevant as a catcher. Has not been a difference maker in the run game.
Gronkowski (B): A blocking TE who sees limited play time but has done what could be expected really.
Quinn (C): Has been surpassed by Gronkowski and his only hope of ever playing again for this team is Graham not resigning and the team not drafting or signing a TE with any form of pass catching ability.

WR:
Lloyd (A): Probably the biggest performer on the entire team, leads the league in yards, yards per game and recieving 1st downs and is 2nd among the leaders in yards per catch.
Gaffney (B): Has met reasonable expectations but has not lived up to the season ending he had last year, is getting spelled by Thomas and looks like the likely candidate to be replaced by Thomas.
Royal (A): Picked up his game from his disappointing 2009 season, has looked at home in the slot and is currently our best yards after catch guy by a huge margin. Injury has limited him somewhat or he would have better total stats than Gaffney.
Thomas (A): In limited time has managed to make a difference both positively and negatively. Sat out all offseason and came from a simplified tripple option should not have contributed much at all. Costly fumbles mar what is a solid rookie campaign.
Decker (O): Not enough play time to evaluate, has done some good things on special teams.
Willis (O): Game day inactive.

OL:
Clady (B): The only offensive lineman who has kept up an acceptable level. Has not lived up to his rookie season, but with the injury that wasn't really expected.
Harris (C): Between injury and getting replaced with Beadles this is about as below expectations as it gets. He was slotted to be one of the top RTs in the league, but is now one of the top bench warmers in the league.
Kuper (C): Has not met his level at all, has given up more pressures and sacks than in the previous 2 years combined, consistently fails to get to movement in the run game. Struggles could be due to Walton and instability at RT, but difficult to say.
Walton (C): He is a rookie, but I think it is fair to say that being the worst starting center in the league gets you a C regardless. Gets no pressure in the run game at all, and gets walked backwards in pass blocking. The botched snap at the end of the Jets game seals the deal.
Beadles (B): Is getting better as a RT, still not good enough in run blocking, but the pass blocking is not to obad.
Hochstein (C): This guy should never actually be on the field, I believe the only reason he plays is because Daniels is the alternative.
Daniels (C): I would really like to invent a grade worse than C for Daniels, but it wouldn't be fair.
Olsen and Clark (O).

Chris
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
sex.

Doggcow
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I did this last night, and this afternoon.

Houshyamama
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
have lots, want more

That One Guy
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, Please.

BlaK-Argentina
11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't give Thomas an A but the rest is pretty much spot on.

Sir_Robin
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Last night and lol at Blak who obviously didn't get any.

Popps
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Cool thread. I think you should revise it to include D's and F's, just to keep it easier to follow... but a fun concept.

Also would be fun to see some guys like Vaughn graded. I think he's been a great pick-up for the ST's.

Oh, and I also like sex.

Popps
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh, never mind. I'm assuming defensive grades are coming.

baja
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
what does Tebow have to do with sex?

Chris
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd give Royal a B. I've given Moreno a C+.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I do apologize for the thread title, I meant to edit it but lagged out and forgot.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
S:
Brian Dawkins (A): I am going to have to give him an A despite the injury, he is clearly the best safety we have and important to the defense as a whole.
Renaldo Hill (C): He is the biggest disappointment for me, I am not sure if it is Martindales system or what, but he plays very far back now and as a result is never close to making a play, the only chances he has had to make plays he has blown like the PI against the Jets.
Mcbath (O): Not a big enough sample to judge, has looked good in limited play and I think he should start next year if he can be healthy.
Bruton (O/A): Not much play time on defense, but solid on special teams, forced a fumble on a squib kick.

CB:
Bailey (A): Still the man, even with injuries he is a very good CB.
Goodman (B): I am giving him a pass on his play against the 49ers because he was clearly still hobbling and should never have played. This is a borderline A, but he has not played enough to deserve an A in my book.
Cox (A): Has had his ups and downs, but even in his downs he has been better than Al Smith was last year and in his ups he has been very good. Only disappointment was his failure as kick returner.
Jones (C): I think even I could complete a pass against him, he is awful, he is nowhere near the reciever to prevent completions and his tackling is not too hot either. Why we kept this guy I don't know.
Thompson (O/B): Has shown flashes in very limited time and should play over Jones, is good special teams as well.
Vaughn (O/A): Hasn't played defense at all I believe, but is our best special teamer hands down. He has made crucial tackles on returns, he has recovered fumbles and he is always the first gunner down the field.

LB:
DJ Williams (A): The linebacking group without Ayers and Dumervil begins and ends with Williams, he leads the team in sacks, tackles and pretty much everything else defensive. He still has a few odd moments, but he is overall playing very solid football this year and right now maybe the only defender who can look himself in the mirror.
Haggan (B): He just does not have the speed to stop the run to the outside or cover tight ends or backs. He is solid against the run and one of the reason our run defense on inside runs is not getting gouged to hell like our run defense to the outside.
Ayers (A): He was the best defender until he went down, he is head and shoulders above where he was last year against the run and pass, with his injury our pass rush died.
Hunter (A): Low expectations help him get an A, but he has really been better than we could hope, although he is very far from being Dumervil or Ayers. He does get a bit of pass rush from time to time and is generally responsible when we play a standard 3-4, when we switch to the 4-3 he often gets outmuscled and loses contain however.
Woodyard (O/B): We do miss him on special teams and in pass defense, but his body of work is not quite substantial enough for a defensive grade. I do think getting him back will help our nickel defense a lot.
Mays (O): Like Woodyard not enough work, and is too similar in playstyle and strengths to Haggan to see much time except on special teams where has had his good and bad days.
Moss (C): I really thought if for no other reason than the money he would finally show something. Moss hasn't used his speed at all and is definitely not strong enough to play the game the way Ayers does.
Alexander (O)

DL:
Williams (B): Tubbo is decent against the run, but he is nowhere near the force he used to be and creates no pass rush at all and is frequently blocked by just the center.
Mcbean (C): Has not looked good and lost his starting gig to Vickerson, did okay against the 49ers and may have turned a corner, but too early to tell. For now though he has been disappointing.
Bannan (C): Doesn't hold up well enough against the run and doesn't get in lanes often enough, may have benefited from playing with superior players in Baltimore more than we hoped.
Fields (B): Unfortunately he is the same type that Williams is, decent against the run but with no pass rush ability and easily single blocked too often.
Thomas (A): The only player who has truly exceeded expectations on the defensive front, he is no super man but he does create plays from time to time and has been earning increased play time.
Vickerson (B): Was a late addition who grabbed a starting spot with Mcbean struggling, has been decent but doesn't have the look of a longtime solution. I worry the play of the defensive front may be tied in with the overall defensive scheme which has changed from last year and seems to be not working well.

colonelbeef
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
too many A's and B's for a team averaging 19.2 ppg and 67.2 rushing yards per game with a 2-6 record.

Pony Boy
11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't you think if you're grading a QB that games won and points scored should factor in?

Broncosfreak_56
11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't you think if you're grading a QB that games won and points scored should factor in?

What more do you want/expect Orton to do? He is getting knocked around all day by our sieve offensive line and still averaging 300 yards. And there is only so much you can do without a run game.

Pony Boy
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
What more do you want/expect Orton to do? He is getting knocked around all day by our sieve offensive line and still averaging 300 yards. And there is only so much you can do without a run game.

I expect him to find ways to win football games and to covert 300 yd passing games into points scored. We don't need a show pony we need a work horse.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I expect him to find ways to win football games and to covert 300 yd passing games into points scored. We don't need a show pony we need a work horse.

I grade the QB no different than any other position, I don't expect the QB to win games, I expect the team to win games. The only positional grade that would be affected by win-loss record would be head coach.

This frankly stupid idea that the QB is somehow responsible for winning and losing is one of the things that is wrong with football fans. Was it really the QB that got Chicago to the super bowl? Was it really Mark Sanchez who got the Jets to the AFC championship last year? Some times you have a QB who is so good he can win games the other parts of the team doesn't lose, but right now there isn't a single such QB in the league. Is Philip Rivers not a better QB than Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassel? by your logic the fact that Jets and Chiefs have won more games than the Chargers make Cassel and Sanchez better than Rivers, which I think most people will agree is laughable.

Goobzilla
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Dawkins is a C for me. I think the end of the road is near. I still can't believe him & Champ stood there and watched Crabtree catch that wounded duck.

bendog
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
They're 2-6 and getting worse. Nobody gets a passing grade. Troy "canadian league" Smith had a higher passer rating than Orton!

Oakland NEVER BEAT DEN AT HOME LIKE THAT. NEVER. Not even in the dark days.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196711050den.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196811100den.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196910120den.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197010110rai.htm

And KC's coming to put a beat down on. Christ this sucks.

Mogulseeker
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd give Walton a D and Maroney an F.

lostknight
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow. A awful lot of good grades for a epic amount of fail.

bendog
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

it's a curve (-;

Broncosfreak_56
11-01-2010, 02:34 PM

You didn't read the grading system, did you. There are only A, B, and Cs. Its not like in school.

Pony Boy
11-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I grade the QB no different than any other position, I don't expect the QB to win games, I expect the team to win games. The only positional grade that would be affected by win-loss record would be head coach.

This frankly stupid idea that the QB is somehow responsible for winning and losing is one of the things that is wrong with football fans. Was it really the QB that got Chicago to the super bowl? Was it really Mark Sanchez who got the Jets to the AFC championship last year? Some times you have a QB who is so good he can win games the other parts of the team doesn't lose, but right now there isn't a single such QB in the league. Is Philip Rivers not a better QB than Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassel? by your logic the fact that Jets and Chiefs have won more games than the Chargers make Cassel and Sanchez better than Rivers, which I think most people will agree is laughable.

Well, you could do a whole thread on the "it" factor and what it is but for years people have tried to figure out what separates the good NFL quarterbacks from the great ones. Physical talent is a must have of course but it goes much deeper than that, and the conclusions usually end up in some variation of the "it" factor. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Phillip Rivers have it. I don't see "it" in Kyle Orton.......

LetsGoBroncos
11-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Dawkins is a C for me. I think the end of the road is near. I still can't believe him & Champ stood there and watched Crabtree catch that wounded duck.

The sad thing is it wasn't Crabtree. It was Delane Walker....the backup Tight End

Rohirrim
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Judging by these grades, our first round pick should be Ironhead Heyward's boy. ;D

Cito Pelon
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
That was pretty dang good, gylden.

Popps
11-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, you could do a whole thread on the "it" factor and what it is but for years people have tried to figure out what separates the good NFL quarterbacks from the great ones. Physical talent is a must have of course but it goes much deeper than that, and the conclusions usually end up in some variation of the "it" factor. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Phillip Rivers have it. I don't see "it" in Kyle Orton.......

You could be right. I've mentioned that I don't think Orton has the killer instinct that a QB like Rivers has just yet. I'm not sure you can coach that instinct into a player, either.

However, you can go through the history of the NFL... and a lot of guys were winners who people probably doubted had the it-factor. Troy Aikman comes to mind. Very accurate passer, excellent QB... but was also helped enormously by those around him. He wasn't a QB that was going to do it on his own. In reality, few are.

Problem is, we all sat and watched the greatest IT-factor player in history in Denver for all of those years. Now, anything shy of that feels empty. But, still... it-factor is a concept. It's not tangible. I'm not sure you can rip an effective QB out of the line-up for a perceived, intangible trait that some other QB may or may not have. Plenty of guys come out of college appearing to have the it-factor, only to fail in the NFL due to not having the other factors. (Intelligence, discipline, leadership, and of course... skill-set.)

I get what you're saying, but it's simply not the way to make personnel decisions, imo.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 06:31 PM

It is funny how the "it" factor is always something people see after players have success. When Orton came here, a lot of people where going on and on about how he was a winner, he won games without putting up huge numbers. Now he is putting up huge numbers but not winning games, is there some sort of anti-correlation between QB play and winning? not if you look at guys like Manning and Brees.

What it comes down to is right now the defense is horrible, the offensive line is porous, the coaching staff is about as dedicated to the run game as they are to their navel fuzz. This team right now is losing as a team, it is not the QB losing games, it is the whole gang sucking. The same is true in San Diego where the whole team is sucking despite Philips Rivers best intentions they are still not a .500 club. Brett Favre, Tony Romo and Mcnabb are all trying, but losing with their teams.

It isn't Orton out there on a gimpy leg trying to cover Crabtree, it isn't Orton throwing a stupid block that negates a TD, it isn't Orton grabbing facemasks on the 1 yard line or pretending to cover a backup TE on a hail mary.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Judging by these grades, our first round pick should be Ironhead Heyward's boy. ;D

You know what, I have it down to him or Dareus out of Bama.

Right now I want DL in round 1, LB in round 2 and either S or RB in round 2b.

tsiguy96
11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
You know what, I have it down to him or Dareus out of Bama.

Right now I want DL in round 1, LB in round 2 and either S or RB in round 2b.

S in round 2 is typically good value. hopefuly mcbath comes soon id love to see him take over renaldo's spot.

eddie mac
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
If there was a Z available I'd give it to Dan Graham. He's been by far one of the most disappointing aspects of our team thus far, this season. The man is supposed to be one of the best blocking TE's in the league, yet I've seen defenders get by him with ease this season and he's no longer pushing many of them back.

At nearly $5m per season you expect a Gates or Clark back there but Dan has spent his wad for sure.