PDA

View Full Version : Flea flicker penalty

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
It was a horse**** call. It cost the Broncos a chance to go up 14-3 in the 3rd. What are the chances the Broncos get an apology this week from the NFL league office?

Ambiguous
11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
It did contribute to my new avatar, and that's pretty awesome.

Rabb
11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
about the same as our chances of getting McD to apologize for putting an offense out there that goes 3 and out too often

I hated the call also, but it should have been at least 14-3 at that point anyhow

bronco militia
11-01-2010, 10:47 AM
it's too bad the broncos had no chance to win the game after that play.

oh wait....

tsiguy96
11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
that play was a game changer, such a huge play that should hvae never been penalized. refs definitely werent on our side this game.

jhns
11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Why would the refs say sorry for making the correct call? Do you guys understand the rules? This isn't a new one...

Triplelefthook
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Why would the refs say sorry for making the correct call? Do you guys understand the rules? This isn't a new one...

Agreed. That's what made the whole incident so unbearable.

DennisSmithHOF
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Isn't a chop block where a second offensive player goes low on a a guy that is already engaged with another blocker? That guy sure wasn't engaged when he ran over Moreno laying on the ground.

jhns
11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Isn't a chop block where a second offensive player goes low on a a guy that is already engaged with another blocker? That guy sure wasn't engaged when he ran over Moreno laying on the ground.

It can't go either way. If the defender has someone block him low, a second player can't come in and block high. It also doesn't matter if Moreno was just trying to get out of the way, he had him blocked. There was no reason for Hochstien(sp?) to get involved.

To be clear, it is also against the rules if both blockers hit the defender at the same time. It doesn't matter how it happens, you can't block high and low on a defender.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Hochstein didn't even make an attempt to block the rusher. Hochstein was thrown into the rusher.

baja
11-01-2010, 11:17 AM
You could probably call that same call a bunch of times during the game. It was a call that shouldn't have been made.

jhns
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Hochstein didn't even make an attempt to block the rusher. Hochstein was thrown into the rusher.

Well that would make it a bad call but I don't remember seeing that happen. I will have to go rewatch it.

Garcia Bronco
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
It was a bull**** call.

tsiguy96
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Well that would make it a bad call but I don't remember seeing that happen. I will have to go rewatch it.

so youre saying you change your reality to fit your anti-bronco agenda....makes sense now :thumbs:

jhns
11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
so youre saying you change your reality to fit your anti-bronco agenda....makes sense now :thumbs:

Anti-bronco agenda? I am one of the few that has been wanting what is best for this team. It is you Raider fans that have been happy about the direction of this team. Don't worry, I don't fault you for it. I always hope the Raiders go down this path. It is how fans of division rivals work.

ZONA
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM

It was a bad call. It was not a correct call at all. The rule is that 2 blockers cannot enguage the defender (one high and one low). Moreno was not enguaging at all. He simply fell to the ground and did not attempt to go make a block at all. It's not his fualt some stupid DL ran his way and fell over him. So the OL for Denver just touches the guy and Moreno in no way was even attempting to block the guy. That was not a chop block. It was a F'd up call and the refs a ****ING IDIOT. We all know what a real chop block is and why that rule was put in there. This was NOT a ****in chop block and trust me, the lead NFL rules guy knows this. The Broncos simply got F'd on this one.

jhns
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
It was a bad call. It was not a correct call at all. The rule is that 2 blockers cannot enguage the defender (one high and one low). Moreno was not enguaging at all. He simply fell to the ground and did not attempt to go make a block at all. It's not his fualt some stupid DL ran his way and fell over him. So the OL for Denver just touches the guy and Moreno in no way was even attempting to block the guy. That was not a chop block. It was a F'd up call and the refs a ****ING IDIOT. We all know what a real chop block is and why that rule was put in there. This was NOT a ****in chop block and trust me, the lead NFL rules guy knows this. The Broncos simply got F'd on this one.

You don't understand the rule. It doesn't matter what Moreno was doing. He blocked the defender low. The only way that was a bad call is if the claim that Hochstein was pushed into it is true.

v2micca
11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
You don't understand the rule. It doesn't matter what Moreno was doing. He blocked the defender low. The only way that was a bad call is if the claim that Hochstein was pushed into it is true.

Yeah, as much as it sucks, the rule is not about intent, only about what happens on the field. If the rules were called based on intent, 80% of all facemask calls would be nullified. Moreno did not mean to engage the defender, hell he was honestly just trying to get out of the way. He just happened to fall at the guys legs, while Hocstien engaged him high. No, it was not intentional. Doesn't matter. The rule is pretty clear. Now, you could argue that it feels like that is the sort of call that is only going against us right now and never be called on the other team. But, by the strict interpretation of the rules, it was the correct call.

ZONA
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Why don't you post up the rule then. Because I don't think it says anything about a player laying on the ground as being a blocker.

El Guapo
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Moreno looked at the defender (and saw him coming) just before performing the flea flicker. Immediately after he intentionally went down to block the incoming defender. Hochstein was pushed into the same defender and barely touched the guy. It was a BS call and overall, if someone were to sit down and watch gamefilm from the past 10 years, would see that we get some of the most retarded calls against the team. Who knows, maybe it's just me being a crybaby. Ha

ZONA
11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I guess if you are laying down 3/4's of the way, not looking at the defender, back is facing the defender, you are still considerd to be "blocking" that guy. What a bunch of horse ****. And yes, Hoch was shoved into him. We need these refs to use just a tad of discretion don't ya think. There is hardly ever anything so black and white, there is usually some degree of grey and the refs need to actually SEE what the **** they are looking at and interpret. Could they call holding on almost every play, sure, but the NFL says don't do that, use your judgement. Well obviously this is something they should have done here. I doubt all refs today would have called that penalty. Just this stupid MF'er who can't think right.

jhns
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Why don't you post up the rule then. Because I don't think it says anything about a player laying on the ground as being a blocker.

Looking at that rule won't help you then. You need to look up what a block is. An offensive player getting in the way and stopping progress of a defensive player, is a block. Moreno didn't go to the defenders legs for no reason. This is a common block from RBs.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
That was a bull**** call to some extend, but it was also extremely poor judgement by Hochstein, who should never have blocked the guy in the back. If he just keeps his hands to himself, that is a TD.

broncofan2438
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
It was a horse**** call. It cost the Broncos a chance to go up 14-3 in the 3rd. What are the chances the Broncos get an apology this week from the NFL league office?

I absolutely agree. The refs ****ed us numerous times yesterday. I want to find that ref and kick the **** out of him I am so pissed

Popps
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

This is what I don't get.

I don't claim to know the rule, but I thought if this was at the LOS, it had to involve 2 players to be called?

WolfpackGuy
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't know why a team would honor the run enough to fall for the flea flicker anyway.

Nah, that was a BS call.

jhns
11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow, some of you are so full of crap. I have the play on the TV in front of me. I just watched it at normal speed, watched it in slow motion, and then went through it frame by frame. There is no disputing the penalty. Hoch did not get touched by anyone before making the block. There was not even a player within reach to try pushing him into it. Moreno clearly went for the block on the defender and was not just laying on the ground for nothing. He watched the defender, turned, went down to block low, and even extended an arm as leverage against the hit he was about to take. The defender was clearly going down from being blocked low and Hoch came in and hit him high. This is not a legal play at all.....

jhns
11-01-2010, 03:42 PM

No, what I am saying is I seem to be one of the few that lives in reality. I also seem to be one of the few with eyes. I guess I shouldn't expect much from people that can't even form a sentence.

bronclvr
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow, some of you are so full of crap. I have the play on the TV in front of me. I just watched it at normal speed, watched it in slow motion, and then went through it frame by frame. There is no disputing the penalty. Hoch did not get touched by anyone before making the block. There was not even a player within reach to try pushing him into it. Moreno clearly went for the block on the defender and was not just laying on the ground for nothing. He watched the defender, turned, went down to block low, and even extended an arm as leverage against the hit he was about to take. The defender was clearly going down from being blocked low and Hoch came in and hit him high. This is not a legal play at all.....

Well then, I have been living with a bad understanding of what is a chop block-please someone educate me, I thought that a blocker needed to actually hit a Player, you know, from the front and knock him over another Player (Moreno)-not only was Hoch going in the same direction as the Defender (which to me doesn't make it a Chop Block, I was under the impression that you had to block him from the front), if he did hit him it sure didn't look to be that hard-

CEH
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Stink just said it was a chop block and he would know what it legal

ScottXray
11-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Stink just said it was a chop block and he would know what it legal

It WAS technically a chop block. Hochstein never should have touched the guy, as Moreno already was blocking him (low). Just touching him is what got called cause he was already engaged low. Of Course Hoch barely tapped him on the shoulder as he was already going down, but it is illegal.

We aren't getting an apology from the league or anything, but it seems like ever since the Hoculi call the refs seem to always be looking for BS calls to "make up " for that call. I think we have paid it back, in Spades. But that is just the way I feel, and maybe someday we'll get the rule changed to be challengeable if it has no effect on the outcome of a play. Till then we just have to ignore it and just WIN the freaking games

Broncobiv
11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Copied and pasted from the "2009 OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES AND CASEBOOK OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE"

I bolded the part which I believe describes what happened in this instance.

---------------------------------

Article 16 A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offense player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in sub-sections (1) through (10) below.

(1) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically engaged by the blocking attempt of A2.

(2) On a forward pass play in which A2 physically engages a defensive player with a blocking attempt, A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been broken and while A2 is still confronting the defensive player.

(3) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a “lure”).

(4) On a forward pass play, A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and A2, simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high.

Note: Each of the above circumstances in subsections (1) through (4), which describes a chopblock foul on a forward-pass play, also applies on a play in which an offensive player indicates an apparent attempt to pass block but the play ultimately becomes a run.

(Note: I did not include sub-sections (5) through (10) because those detail chop blocks on running and kicking plays)

enjolras
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Copied and pasted from the "2009 OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES AND CASEBOOK OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE"

Article 16 A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offense player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in sub-sections (1) through (10) below.

(1) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically engaged by the blocking attempt of A2.

(2) On a forward pass play in which A2 physically engages a defensive player with a blocking attempt, A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been broken and while A2 is still confronting the defensive player.

(3) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a “lure”).

(4) On a forward pass play, A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and A2, simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high.

Note: Each of the above circumstances in subsections (1) through (4), which describes a chopblock foul on a forward-pass play, also applies on a play in which an offensive player indicates an apparent attempt to pass block but the play ultimately becomes a run.

(Note: I did not include sub-sections (5) through (10) because those detail chop blocks on running and kicking plays)

In that case, it was definitely a chop block.

Hochstein is really truly terrible.

WABronco
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
A chop block is a combination block on one guy. It was pretty cut and dry to me.

chickennob2
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Right. But the question here is the notion of A1 blocking the defender. Moreno's ass just fell down after pitching the ball. That is a very dubious interpretation of "blocking".

WolfpackGuy
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Moreno just needs to get to the line faster.

BroncosSR
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

GreatBronco16
11-01-2010, 06:01 PM
So nobody has a gif of this?

Jason in LA
11-01-2010, 09:46 PM
After watching the play a couple times, I was trying to convince myself that it was a BS call. It could have been a non call, but man, it's hard to say that it shouldn't have been called.

Did Moreno fall to the ground? Sure he did. But did he fall to the ground to perform a legal chop block? Yes. The defender didn't simply fall over a fallen Moreno. That was a chop block by Moreno. The contact from above from Hochstein wasn't much either, and it was when the defender was already falling to the ground. So I felt it could have been a non call because Hochstein didn't really get a block on the guy. But to say it was a bs call, I don't think so. Simply put, the defender was engaged high and low at the same time. That's illegal.

Hochstein should have never touched the defender. I don't by the argument that he was shoved. I didn't notice that. I did notice him extending both arms at the defender.

Seems like the Broncos made a number of boneheaded play. The clipping call on the punt return, why the hell did Moss hit that guy? I mean, he was staring at the guy's back, and if he doesn't illegally block that guy Royal would have beaten him and still scored. Hell, there was another illegal block down the field. Seems like we have some morons out there playing for the Broncos. I thought McDaniels was supposed to bring in high IQ players, like Belicheck does. I guess not.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-02-2010, 05:35 AM

Are you out of your mother****ing mind? I knew you were stupid, but this is... well, it's surprising, even coming from your retarded ass.

jhns
11-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Are you out of your mother****ing mind? I knew you were stupid, but this is... well, it's surprising, even coming from your retarded ass.

Which part is stupid Moose? Why don't you explain your post so we can all laugh at you.

tsiguy96
11-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Which part is stupid Moose? Why don't you explain your post so we can all laugh at you.

do you realize that almost every time youve ever been quoted on OM is to tell you hwat a ****ing retard you are?

jhns
11-02-2010, 06:07 AM
do you realize that almost every time youve ever been quoted on OM is to tell you hwat a ****ing retard you are?

Do you realize that I am always right when the children start in on this? Go ahead, prove me wrong.

Isn't it funny that the children can't stay on topic when they are completely wrong?

Rabb
11-02-2010, 06:38 AM

well, while I don't disagree on him being a corky

he is correct, we may not love it because it was a fluky thing at best...but it was technically a chop block per the rules

problem is around here anymore, people are looking to flame the people they don't like or be the first to come with some witty (debatable) attack on someone without actually thinking of it in a football discussion sense

pretty sad

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
we went mental and it took an age (or it seemed ) to be called..i was ranting and nearly got thrown out lol...rightly or wrongly called ::but if it was correct then about 5 mins later there was more or less same "block" on the sidelines that wasnt called!

missingnumber7
11-02-2010, 07:27 AM
It is a safety rule. And thus enforced...that flag being thrown, as right as the ref was for throwing it, was equally as ridiculous as the roughing the passer flags that were thrown.

_Oro_
11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Two TD's taken off the board by the refs. After the Hochstein one they shoulda let the Moss one go. Let those Brits see some overtime action.

broncoblue
11-02-2010, 07:40 AM
:wave:Two TD's taken off the board by the refs. After the Hochstein one they shoulda let the Moss one go. Let those Brits see some overtime action.

ENGLISH !! LONDON IS IN ENGLAND!!!

_Oro_
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM
:wave:

English !! London is in england!!!

:yayaya:

LRtagger
11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I would like to know what coach told Moreno to hit the deck on that play. What exactly does him folding and laying on the ground accomplish? I've never seen that play performed that way. Typically the HB tosses it back and then either blocks or runs a route as a safety valve in case the deep ball is covered well.

I think the call itself was wrong, but it wouldnt even be an issue if Moreno wasn't taught to hit the deck.

jhns
11-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I would like to know what coach told Moreno to hit the deck on that play. What exactly does him folding and laying on the ground accomplish? I've never seen that play performed that way. Typically the HB tosses it back and then either blocks or runs a route as a safety valve in case the deep ball is covered well.

I think the call itself was wrong, but it wouldnt even be an issue if Moreno wasn't taught to hit the deck.

To be fair, Moreno completely shut down the free guy up the middle. The play worked great as designed. Hochstein is just a dumbass.

jhns
11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
So tsi and moose, are you just admitting to trolling now or what? It is pretty sad that people who spend so much time on a football message board don't even know anything about football.

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
So tsi and moose, are you just admitting to trolling now or what? It is pretty sad that people who spend so much time on a football message board don't even know anything about football.

Calm down ladyfriend. For once you have a legitimate point, no matter how upsetting it is.

Now everyone please return to your regularly scheduled bickering.

Jason in LA
11-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Actually, what Moreno did on that play was extremely affective and made the play work. It wasn't the most text book chop block, but a defender was coming in free with a chance to get at the QB, Moreno went low on him (a legal chop block), and the get went down. When I saw it live I thought it was an awesome chop block because he took out the blitzer.

Problem was that Hochstein decided to put hands on the defender as he was falling. That's where the flag came in.

cousinal11
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Actually, what Moreno did on that play was extremely affective and made the play work. It wasn't the most text book chop block, but a defender was coming in free with a chance to get at the QB, Moreno went low on him (a legal chop block), and the get went down. When I saw it live I thought it was an awesome chop block because he took out the blitzer.

Problem was that Hochstein decided to put hands on the defender as he was falling. That's where the flag came in.

Hochstein doesn't do that and Renaldo Hill doesn't grab Santonio's facemask, we're probably (4-4).

_Oro_
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Hochstein doesn't do that and Renaldo Hill doesn't grab Santonio's facemask, we're probably (4-4).

Despite our issues, its amazing that we'd still be in this season if not for two plays.

Hulamau
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Tell us the rule Jhns .... Hochstein was NOT engaged and wasnt even touching the SF rusher when Knowshon went down, not even looking at the guy. Hochestien was coming up behind him but was NOT engaged ... thus NO FOUL! .... Get it!?!

Hulamau
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Despite our issues, its amazing that we'd still be in this season if not for two plays.

Exactly, in spite of our many issues and if we had, say only half our injuires and a more normal allotment this time of year the whole converastion here would be a lot lighter and more hopeful for the future.

Were still the best team at the bottom... but that caveat is a bit like kissing your sister.

jhns
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Tell us the rule Jhns .... Hochstein was NOT engaged and wasnt even touching the SF rusher when Knowshon went down, not even looking at the guy. Hochestien was coming up behind him but was NOT engaged ... thus NO FOUL! .... Get it!?!

Ummm, I went over the rule already. I broke down the play. Someone else posted the exact rules. Stink, who knows more than any of us, has already said it wasn't legal. I'm not sure what you are asking of me now. I can't go into any more detail than I have.

Flex Gunmetal
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Ummm, I went over the rule already. I broke down the play. Someone else posted the exact rules. Stink, who knows more than any of us, has already said it wasn't legal. I'm not sure what you are asking of me now. I can't go into any more detail than I have.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Stefangs/wEu1y.gif

LRtagger
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Right but if Moreno stands upright, the defender runs into him anyways and there is not even a chance for a chopblock call.

LRtagger
11-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Dont forget the Jax facemasks. 5-3.

_Oro_
11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

lolz at McBean fail

ayjackson
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

there's only one game I can't forget

Lev Vyvanse
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM

C. Johnson doesn't fumble. 1-7.

baja
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not that upset by any of our loses except one but that one was shameful and I never use the word shame.

TRAIDERHATER
11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/drewdraft.gif

Jason in LA
11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Right but if Moreno stands upright, the defender runs into him anyways and there is not even a chance for a chopblock call.

I wouldn't fault Moreno for what Hochstein did. RBs chop down bigger defenders often. He laid a great block.

Jason in LA
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Hochstein engaged the defender as he was going down. It wasn't much contact, which is why I thought it could have been a non call, but there was contact, giving the ref a reason to throw the flag.

bloodsunday
11-04-2010, 01:20 PM

The other problem with the call is that Hochstein basically wiffs on the block. He attempts to block him, but makes marginal contact if any.

It was a very strict interpretation of a rule that happens a lot, particularly when the "spirit of the rule" was not correctly interpreted given that Moreno wasn't even blocking him, but rather getting run over with his back to the player.

Big play, but we still scored points on the drive. Good teams over come that penalty.

BioCore
11-05-2010, 04:53 AM
:wave:

ENGLISH !! LONDON IS IN ENGLAND!!!

Yet you'd have to be pretty stupid and ignorant if you actually think the only people at the game were either american or english