PDA

View Full Version : Props to JD Walton

The MVPlaya
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
It's the little things that go unnoticed but he has improve his snapping skills. From what I saw today he didn't do the head bop nearly as much, especially in the shot gun formations. This was a huge problem earlier in the year where he was pretty much tipping off all the defenses...

Now... he needs to improve his blocking skills.

gyldenlove
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
It's the little things that go unnoticed but he has improve his snapping skills. From what I saw today he didn't do the head bop nearly as much, especially in the shot gun formations. This was a huge problem earlier in the year where he was pretty much tipping off all the defenses...

Now... he needs to improve his blocking skills.

Woohoo, we have a center who can almost snap the ball now, party on!

SoCalBronco
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx347/Seigblaze/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

To be honest...I feel bad for him, because what's being asked of him is almost not physically possible. You cannot ask a rookie mid round center to not only start but be competent immediately. That just doesn't happen in real life and he's being put in an untenable situation. By the same token, I'm not going to cheer just because he isn't giving the snap count away anymore, either.

Drek
10-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Walton will be good given time. At this point we have to blame the coaching staff for the OL's problems. Clady, Kuper, and Harris have never struggled this much. Beadles and Walton both show flashes but no consistent growth from week to week. Foremost of all, they make mental mistakes all the time. Those are all signs of poor coaching.

The MVPlaya
10-31-2010, 07:36 PM
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx347/Seigblaze/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

To be honest...I feel bad for him, because what's being asked of him is almost not physically possible. You cannot ask a rookie mid round center to not only start but be competent immediately. That just doesn't happen in real life and he's being put in an untenable situation. By the same token, I'm not going to cheer just because he isn't giving the snap count away anymore, either.

Nobody is "cheering", but it was a problem he was having that was tipping the defenses off... it was pretty annoying watching it every week but he worked on it and improved as the season progressed which is an accomplishment.

Just giving him props where it's due...

So you guys don't really give a **** if he's tipping or not tipping the defenses off... and don't really care about the position of being a center which involves snapping the ball. I've watched a few steeler games this year and I'm watching the 1 right now and Pouncey still has a little bop to his head when he snaps it.

I know there's not much interest in snapping the ball.. but it's pretty damn important and it's whole different game in the NFL from college.

Let's talk about Tebow's delivery instead...

SoCalBronco
10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Walton will be good given time. At this point we have to blame the coaching staff for the OL's problems. Clady, Kuper, and Harris have never struggled this much. Beadles and Walton both show flashes but no consistent growth from week to week. Foremost of all, they make mental mistakes all the time. Those are all signs of poor coaching.

This is one of this regime's biggest failings (right alongside their general theory of drafting). This offensive line was ****ing awesome, we had three young studs, one sure-fire all pro and two borderline pro bowl players. That's flat out SICK. And now all of them look horrible and one of them isn't even starting.

The staff should be absolutely ashamed of how they RAPED our line. And yes, they did RAPE it. This was a great line full of young talent. I am heartbroken as to what happened to them. This three man core was ELITE. Damn shame.

I hope Clancy Barone gets a high ankle sprain....like now.

gyldenlove
10-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Spot on, the coaching of the line is not working. The number of mental mistakes and the relative ease other teams have in scheming blitzes against us point to poor coaching.

gyldenlove
10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
This is one of this regime's biggest failings (right alongside their general theory of drafting). This offensive line was ****ing awesome, we had three young studs, one sure-fire all pro and two borderline pro bowl players. That's flat out SICK. And now all of them look horrible and one of them isn't even starting.

The staff should be absolutely ashamed of how they RAPED our line. And yes, they did RAPE it. This was a great line full of young talent. I am heartbroken as to what happened to them. This three man core was ELITE. Damn shame.

I can only hope that we dump the guys we have now and find someone with more talent, at least we know Mcdaniels won't hesitate to fire successful assistants, so lets see how he handles incompetent fools.

The MVPlaya
10-31-2010, 07:42 PM

Ben Hamilton and Casey were at the end of their careers...

Requiem
10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Sad to see our offensive line's fall from grace.

Clancy Barone kisses that dick without mistletoe.

Br0nc0Buster
10-31-2010, 07:47 PM
it looks like Josh is gonna be around next year, if that is the case I really hope he flushes out all the rest of the coaches outside of maybe Nunnely and maybe the WRs coach

our staff appears incompetent

Drek
10-31-2010, 07:50 PM

They were forced to replace two guys in the same year, Clady got himself hurt, Harris is proving that 2008 was the outlier not the norm, and Kuper was even bagged up some this pre-season.

The OL sucks because they have no continuity. It was understandable the first few weeks, guys were getting back from injury and hadn't played alongside the new members. But at this point its got to be a coaching issue.

This goes back to what I see as McDaniels' one big failure. He just doesn't have the connections and time in the league to get us the best assistants possible for our needs. Eric Studesville was basically the only outsider he brought in after we lost three crucial assistant positions (RB coach, OL coach, and DC). We replaced all of those roles internally and brought in basically rookies to help fill the roles those internal promotions left open.

Something like his brother as the QB coach when both he and McCoy are QB focused guys is fine by me. Promoting Martindale after only one year with this personnel in this scheme and expecting results is asking a bit much. Having him do that, keep LB coach responsibilities, and giving him the equivalent of a grad student to help with it all is just not going to cut it no matter what.

Shanahan was overly zealous with paying a dozen guys to do basically the same job and hand out "assistant to the head coach" titles with big salaries like candy. But McDaniels seems to be the exact opposite.

Everyone thought we were a shoe in to bring Dean Pees in as our DC. McDaniels didn't show much interest. We didn't even kick the tires on Crennel. It was almost a foregone conclusion that it would be Martindale.

Same with the OL. Why didn't we pursue the Bills' RB coach when he was let go? He's been flat out killing it with almost zero talent around him and obviously he and Studesville know how to work together. If you wanted a big power man scheme like what Buffalo has been using to get great results out of Jackson and Lynch why didn't you get the brain trust of that group in house when you could?

He's great at X's and O's leading into a game. I like the majority of his personnel moves. But the staff he's assembled is not producing the tough, disciplined team he advertised and it is the #1 reason we're losing games. Raiders game be damned, that lack of execution and toughness is the definitive reason we lost to Jacksonville, Indy, NY, and now San Fran.

rovolution
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Casey were at the end of their careers...

Jammal Charles, McCluster, and Thomas Jones disagree

broncosteven
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Ben Hamilton and Casey were at the end of their careers...

I thought Weigman was done last year but with the poor OL play here since mCd took over I think it was more **** coaching than **** playing, Weigman is starting for a division leader and playing well. I think Chicago is the only team that has a worse OL than what we have now thanks to the scheme change.

broncosteven
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
They were forced to replace two guys in the same year, Clady got himself hurt, Harris is proving that 2008 was the outlier not the norm, and Kuper was even bagged up some this pre-season.

The OL sucks because they have no continuity. It was understandable the first few weeks, guys were getting back from injury and hadn't played alongside the new members. But at this point its got to be a coaching issue.

This goes back to what I see as McDaniels' one big failure. He just doesn't have the connections and time in the league to get us the best assistants possible for our needs. Eric Studesville was basically the only outsider he brought in after we lost three crucial assistant positions (RB coach, OL coach, and DC). We replaced all of those roles internally and brought in basically rookies to help fill the roles those internal promotions left open.

Something like his brother as the QB coach when both he and McCoy are QB focused guys is fine by me. Promoting Martindale after only one year with this personnel in this scheme and expecting results is asking a bit much. Having him do that, keep LB coach responsibilities, and giving him the equivalent of a grad student to help with it all is just not going to cut it no matter what.

Shanahan was overly zealous with paying a dozen guys to do basically the same job and hand out "assistant to the head coach" titles with big salaries like candy. But McDaniels seems to be the exact opposite.

Everyone thought we were a shoe in to bring Dean Pees in as our DC. McDaniels didn't show much interest. We didn't even kick the tires on Crennel. It was almost a foregone conclusion that it would be Martindale.

Same with the OL. Why didn't we pursue the Bills' RB coach when he was let go? He's been flat out killing it with almost zero talent around him and obviously he and Studesville know how to work together. If you wanted a big power man scheme like what Buffalo has been using to get great results out of Jackson and Lynch why didn't you get the brain trust of that group in house when you could?

He's great at X's and O's leading into a game. I like the majority of his personnel moves. But the staff he's assembled is not producing the tough, disciplined team he advertised and it is the #1 reason we're losing games. Raiders game be damned, that lack of execution and toughness is the definitive reason we lost to Jacksonville, Indy, NY, and now San Fran.

BINGO.

/end thread

Rascal
10-31-2010, 08:04 PM
BINGO.

/end thread

Horse****.

He let two of the better assistants in the league leave in Turner and Nolan.

oubronco
10-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Walton will be fine it's called growing pains

The MVPlaya
10-31-2010, 08:09 PM
lol @ these idiots making **** up about Casey because KC has a good rushing attack.

He consistently gets overpowered and beaten, but the OL around him all play solid together.

broncos-rock
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry but they screwed up by not drafting Pouncey!

Popps
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Our run-blocking looked a little better today, overall. I'm hoping we can continue to build on this. As painful as this season has been, if the young guys are improving, that will be worth it long-term.

Beantown Bronco
10-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Ummmm, he was drafted before both Thomas and Tebow, so it would've changed the Broncos draft significantly to pick him.

broncosteven
10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Our run-blocking looked a little better today, overall. I'm hoping we can continue to build on this. As painful as this season has been, if the young guys are improving, that will be worth it long-term.

I agree, I thought today the gaps were there, knowgain just got grabbed by turf monsters made bad choices and didn't have the speed to get to or through the holes.

I think Knowgain will someday be a decent RB, just not elite or worthy of 15th pick in the draft. He is much better in the flat where he has space, he cannot power over anyone and runs up his blockers backs way too much.

broncosteven
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Horse****.

Who hasn't mCd ran off?

broncos-rock
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Ummmm, he was drafted before both Thomas and Tebow, so it would've changed the Broncos draft significantly to pick him.

And that would have been bad in what way!

Beantown Bronco
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
And that would have been bad in what way!

I love the 2010 draft class to be honest.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Horse****.

Yeah. He should have locked them in his dungeon until they agreed to stay.

****ing retarded.

broncos-rock
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
I love the 2010 draft class to be honest.
We wont know how well they drafted for 2 more years but I think McDaniels seems to out-smart himself in play calling and in drafting but I do think he can be a great coach and I hope its for us!

gyldenlove
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM

The run blocking was better, but we didn't run the ball. We started with a 50-50 rush pass split in the first 10, and ended up with 40 passes and 17 rushes for the game. I am not sure why we gave up running the ball in a close ball game.

broncosteven
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
The run blocking was better, but we didn't run the ball. We started with a 50-50 rush pass split in the first 10, and ended up with 40 passes and 17 rushes for the game. I am not sure why we gave up running the ball in a close ball game.

Turf monsters and bad vision?

gyldenlove
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Turf monsters and bad vision?

That is more plausible than my theory.

jutang
10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
I am still puzzled why Harris is on the bench. Is his performance at RT really worse than Hochstein's performance at guard? I understand that Beadles needs to stay on the field, but I feel that this is one of the biggest blunders of the coaching staff.

Popps
10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I am still puzzled why Harris is on the bench. Is his performance at RT really worse than Hochstein's performance at guard? I understand that Beadles needs to stay on the field, but I feel that this is one of the biggest blunders of the coaching staff.

Harris is beat up, and he's looked awful when out there.

Beadles can at least develop this way. If Harris was playing well at any point, I'd agree completely.

Popps
10-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Yea, a bit annoying indeed.

Cito Pelon
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM

Well, I saw this poor coaching thing crop up several times this year, I can see that angle. But, they've been shuffling the lineup, dealing with injuries to the three starters heldover from last year, trying to integrate rookies.

So we'll just have to wait and see if they get it together as the season goes on.

strafen
11-01-2010, 12:19 AM

And Iupati

ZONA
11-01-2010, 04:15 AM

I would say consistant growth from week to week for any type of position is not realistic for rookies. That's just not how improvement works in the NFL. I would say more like year to year is more of what you see in terms of players growing into better players. It's really hard to guage progress week to week.

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Ryan Harris may be a Redskin next year (this is his contract year I believe).

Drek
11-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Horse****.

Turner reunited with Shanahan partially thanks to the bottomless wallet of Dan Snyder.

Dennison (also a very good coach) obviously took a better position (OC) with the Texans, working with his old buddy Gary Kubiak.

Nolan left to work with a close personal friend (Sparano) who more closely shared his coaching philosophy.

Notice the trend here? They all went to places with familiar faces running the show. McDaniels hasn't been in the league long enough to have those kinds of ties. He got Nolan because they share an agent. Turner and Dennison were left over from the previous regime. All of them viewed this team in '09 as a stepping stone before they could move somewhere that had a more familiar guy at the top of the power structure.

Well, I saw this poor coaching thing crop up several times this year, I can see that angle. But, they've been shuffling the lineup, dealing with injuries to the three starters heldover from last year, trying to integrate rookies.

So we'll just have to wait and see if they get it together as the season goes on.

We send out 12, 10, or 9 guys for plays on a weekly basis. We commit a ton of mindless penalties every week. Injuries or not a coach should have that tightened up come game time.

I would say consistant growth from week to week for any type of position is not realistic for rookies. That's just not how improvement works in the NFL. I would say more like year to year is more of what you see in terms of players growing into better players. It's really hard to guage progress week to week.

I'm not talking about 100% linear growth, but the worst game a guy has in the second quarter of the season should not be as bad or worse than his worst game in the 1st quarter of the season. Same with his best game, the later he is in the year the more reliable he should be.

So far we aren't seeing that out of the OL as a whole, or the rookies specifically. They're all over the map week to week and its because they have no stabilizing force from the coaching staff.

fontaine
11-01-2010, 05:29 AM

Why would any established, and experienced candidate want to take the DC job in Denver when Josh clearly wants to run the defense his way?

Martindale is a yes man and will do as he's told.

fontaine
11-01-2010, 05:42 AM

McDaniels doesn't know how to run the ball effectively and would rather pass the ball than run it.

There's no mystery about it, he simply doesn't believe that the run game is going to get it done.

In terms of being able to put together an effective ground game, and call effective plays for it, McDaniels is pretty much as stubborn and pig headed as Mike Martz.

A lot of people have said that if we fire this guy he'll go on to be a great coach someday for someone else.

Well, I think if he doesn't get it done in Denver he's going down the Mike Martz road.

broncosteven
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Turner reunited with Shanahan partially thanks to the bottomless wallet of Dan Snyder.

Dennison (also a very good coach) obviously took a better position (OC) with the Texans, working with his old buddy Gary Kubiak.

Nolan left to work with a close personal friend (Sparano) who more closely shared his coaching philosophy.

Notice the trend here? They all went to places with familiar faces running the show. McDaniels hasn't been in the league long enough to have those kinds of ties. He got Nolan because they share an agent. Turner and Dennison were left over from the previous regime. All of them viewed this team in '09 as a stepping stone before they could move somewhere that had a more familiar guy at the top of the power structure.

We send out 12, 10, or 9 guys for plays on a weekly basis. We commit a ton of mindless penalties every week. Injuries or not a coach should have that tightened up come game time.

I'm not talking about 100% linear growth, but the worst game a guy has in the second quarter of the season should not be as bad or worse than his worst game in the 1st quarter of the season. Same with his best game, the later he is in the year the more reliable he should be.

So far we aren't seeing that out of the OL as a whole, or the rookies specifically. They're all over the map week to week and its because they have no stabilizing force from the coaching staff.

EXACTLY,

My fears when mCd was hired was his age, his lack of experience (total years in NFL), experience with only 1 franchise.

When Shanny was 1st offered our gig in 1994 he turned it down to GET MORE EXPERIENCE, then he went to 49ers and saw/contributed to their SB before taking the Bronco gig.

mCd was the young hot flavor of the month and we got him because Bowlen didn't want him beating us 2 times a year if he ended up in AFC west.

I think if there is football next year he might get one more year unless he totally loses the team which he looks close to doing. If we have a lockout maybe we start over in 2012.

The kid knows how to talk football, he just doesn't have the depth of experience to get it done at this level yet.

Drek
11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
EXACTLY,

My fears when mCd was hired was his age, his lack of experience (total years in NFL), experience with only 1 franchise.

When Shanny was 1st offered our gig in 1994 he turned it down to GET MORE EXPERIENCE, then he went to 49ers and saw/contributed to their SB before taking the Bronco gig.

mCd was the young hot flavor of the month and we got him because Bowlen didn't want him beating us 2 times a year if he ended up in AFC west.

I think if there is football next year he might get one more year unless he totally loses the team which he looks close to doing. If we have a lockout maybe we start over in 2012.

The kid knows how to talk football, he just doesn't have the depth of experience to get it done at this level yet.

McDaniels also deferred coaching opportunities after the '08 season to further learn the game, so that isn't some Shanahan specific trait.

McDaniels appears to know football more than well enough to do the job from an X's and O's standpoint. He also knows it well enough to have a clear vision of the systems he wants on both the offense and the defense. The problem isn't McDaniels experience as much as its his networking. He doesn't have a large enough network of peers to fill vacancies with qualified to overqualified staff, and instead we've been the location where guys get to make the next step up in their careers.

gyldenlove
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
McDaniels doesn't know how to run the ball effectively and would rather pass the ball than run it.

There's no mystery about it, he simply doesn't believe that the run game is going to get it done.

In terms of being able to put together an effective ground game, and call effective plays for it, McDaniels is pretty much as stubborn and pig headed as Mike Martz.

A lot of people have said that if we fire this guy he'll go on to be a great coach someday for someone else.

Well, I think if he doesn't get it done in Denver he's going down the Mike Martz road.

What we need is someone with Mcdaniels undoubtedly huge balls and flair for pass offense combined with Herm Edwards pigheaded dedication to the run game and unfailing ability to time manage on every single play.

Beantown Bronco
11-01-2010, 09:13 AM
On paper, Raheem Morris has an even thinner resume and similarly sized network of peers.