PDA

View Full Version : This is how bad our defense is

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Alphonso Smith has 1 less INT than our entire team (he has 4 to our 5).

We've only forced 3 fumbles and created 9 sacks all year.

This is the best one.

Our infamously pathetic defense of 2008. The reason why Shanahan is gone (and needed to be let go because he was obsessed with keeping Slowik).

That season we allowed 28 points a game.

In our first 8 games we are allowing 27.9 points a game.

Yards are fairly close too, with 374.6 in 2008 to 359 this year.

Oh, and we're allowing a 42% conversion rate on 3rd down this year, compared to 44% from 2008.

We actually had 26 sacks in 2008 (we're on pace for 18).

What we've got at DC is someone who can't do **** unless he has tons of talent. He doesn't have the brains to formulate plans to counter our weaknesses (much the way Nolan did our first 6 games with a team that was in its first year in a 3-4).

We often remember the 08 D being so bad because we blew the division and getting into the playoffs. Interesting to see just how bad we are on D again.

:hitself:

Beantown Bronco
10-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Yikes.

Archer81
10-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Alphonso Smith has 1 less TD than our entire team (he has 4 to our 5).
We've only forced 3 fumbles and created 9 sacks all year.

This is the best one.

Our infamously pathetic defense of 2008. The reason why Shanahan is gone (and needed to be let go because he was obsessed with keeping Slowik).

That season we allowed 28 points a game.

In our first 8 games we are allowing 27.9 points a game.

Yards are fairly close to, with 374.6 in 2008 to 359 this year.

Oh and we're allowing a 42% conversion rate on 3rd down this year, compared to 44% from 2008.

We actually had 26 sacks in 2008 (we're on pace for 18).

What we've got at DC is someone who can't do **** unless he has tons of talent. He doesn't have the brains to formulate plans to counter our weaknesses (much the way Nolan did our first 6 games with a team that was in its first year in a 3-4).

Ironically, we have a genius as an HC/OC, but he still can't figure out how to run the ball. :hitself:

Orton has 11 TDs...in what regard are you referring to "he has 4 to our 5"?

:Broncos:

Quoydogs
10-31-2010, 08:13 PM

He was referring to our D

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 08:14 PM

I edited it. I meant to have INT.

Though Phonz does have a pick 6.

Quoydogs

Also one might note that Orton has 11 that is one per every 200 yard of offense. That's nothing to brag about.

oubronco
Truth be told

eddie mac
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Uber fail trading that kid for Wankowski.

BroncoDoug
10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Thats one thing I can't stand about our defense, we don't get turnovers... we haven't for years... every game I see defenses picking on bad or inexperienced QBs (Troy Smith) and making them pay... yet every time we play someone like that we make them look all pro...

Quoydogs
10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
My question is how much different would it look with Ayers and Doom in there.

Pressure = picks

oubronco
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Pressure = picks

Not always

UberBroncoMan

Pressure = picks

I'm sure that would make SOME difference. That said we need young studs to take over for Hill and Goodman (even Dawkins soon), likely Bailey as well since I don't see him resigning here.

We may have a completely new backfield in one-two years.

eddie mac
Doom yes, Ayers I'm not so sure. Decent player but nowhere near the level of his draft slot yet.

oubronco
10-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Pressure = picks

How many did they have last year

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
How many did they have last year

We had 17 last year, up from 6 in 2008. More than the 10 we are on pace for.

Quoydogs
I don't know the #'s but I think Champ was on pace to break his record before it all fell apart in game 7. Could be wrong though.

Beantown Bronco
Also one might note that Orton has 11 that is one per every 200 yard of offense. That's nothing to brag about.

No, but he did have 2 potential TDs and 1 actual TD taken away from him today which would've drastically changed that ratio.

And it's still better than several "name" starters in the league right now:

McNabb, Cutler, Favre, Cassel, Hasselbeck to name a few.

Quoydogs
10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
No, but he did have 2 potential TDs and 1 actual TD taken away from him today which would've drastically changed that ratio.

And it's still better than several "name" starters in the league right now:

McNabb, Cutler, Favre, Cassel, Hasselbeck to name a few.

Old, sucks, old,sucks, old and sucks

Requiem
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Defense has been pretty terrible.

The loss of Dumervil and Ayers have hurt immensely.

All the other injuries (DB's, etc.) haven't helped at all either.

Getting another offensive lineman in the draft should be a priority and adding another running back threat to the team.

Outside that, ever other pick we have should be a defensive one.

go_broncos
10-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Pressure = picks

Doom and Ayers played last year..We won 2 out of last 10..
I don't think they would have made any difference.

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Getting another offensive lineman in the draft should be a priority and adding another running back threat to the team.

I'm hoping one ILB and D-Line myself.

BroncoDoug
10-31-2010, 08:26 PM
our #1 corner has 1 pick through 8 games... there are scrub players out there who at least luck into more then that in a game...

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Sure they would.

With them we win the Jets game, and with Doom potentially the Jags one as well.

Our depth is so bad we have Jason Hunter as our main OLB with whoever the **** cycles in at the other spot.

Archer81
10-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Not to state the obvious...

But thats because you are fairly stupid. The better defenses pressure the offense. The more pressure you put on a quarterback the more likely it is you get a sack, a fumble or an INT. The Saints defense is a good example of this.

Beantown Bronco
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Old, sucks, old,sucks, old and sucks

Regardless, even the best are at or above 150-175 yds/TD, so I really don't see the big deal. It's such a weird thing to focus on and give any real weight to, especially when it's SO dependent on play calling and the guys around you.

Soul-Bronco
10-31-2010, 08:30 PM

yea because having last years sack leader on defense wouldnt make a difference

NFLBRONCO
10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
DL line additions didn't help as much as we hoped this year. Losing Ayers hurt he was playing solid. How can you replace Doom's sacks you can't. Even with a healthy Doom and Ayers we still have our same needs next offseason.

frerottenextelway
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Interesting post.

Sad thing is I don't think our defensive unit is much worse than our offensive or special teams units.

Always next year, I guess.

go_broncos
10-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Not to state the obvious...

But thats because you are fairly stupid. The better defenses pressure the offense. The more pressure you put on a quarterback the more likely it is you get a sack, a fumble or an INT. The Saints defense is a good example of this.

you keep supporting the coach that is ruining our franchise.
some teams are starting new QB's and they are playing better than us.
Ayers played few games this year and we still lost.
Doom didn't play well during later part of last year.
What do you think about our offensive problems?
There is no identity..
Keep dreaming that we will have better record with Doom.

Requiem
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping one ILB and D-Line myself.

Every position on defense could be upgraded. Here is some my reasoning:

Dawkins isn't getting any younger. Hill has looked out of position on numerous occasions this year and has not been that impressive. Some of his mental errors are just baffling.

I like Bruton a lot, but I think it is safe to say he is a back-up and special teams ace. There is nothing wrong with that. He was a fourth round pick and has done what has been asked of him. McBath has a lot of talent, it is just too bad he always gets injured. Could care less if Nate Jones can play CB/S -- he is not a starter in this league.

We have absolutely no pass rush. Getting Elvis back should help, as well as a healthy Ayers. Still, it would be nice to have another talented young player behind them just in case **** hits the fan again. Jason Hunter and Jarvis Moss are not good enough to get it done, and either was Haggan before he had to move back inside.

I think D.J. has been pretty impressive considering the crap play of people in front of him, but I would like to see us get someone like Greg Jones to pair next to him. Mays and Woodyard can be back-ups -- but that is it.

Our defensive line is just atrocious. Williams and Bannan are the only players who have any relevance to the scheme in my eyes, and Williams is old and hasn't been that great to be honest. Bannan gives it his all, but overall I think he is an average player and nothing overwhelming.

Thank goodness this draft has a lot of DE's for the 3-4. A few NT's, but there are a lot of great first-round talents for the 5. We should definitely get one of them.

I haven't even got to CB, but I'm not sure what will happen with Champ, I haven't been impressed with Goodman either. I think Cox will be a good player in the long-run and hopefully Thompson and Vaughn can make more of an impact as time goes on. Wouldn't hurt to get another body in there either, but it isn't like a high pick has to be spent no one unless Champ goes away.

I can't even remember where we stand pick wise now. A first, two seconds, a third. . .

Should be able to do some damage.

Not sure where all the mid-round picks stand after all the trades.

**** we have a lot of holes.

Hulamau
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM

Agree and as it looks now we may be picking rather high the entire draft.. Wish we have 9 picks this year...:-) Ala the Chiefs last year with their bevy of high slotted picks.

BroncoDoug
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Having a healthy doom and ayers would most certainly help this defense, but we need DL help regardless...

Br0nc0Buster
10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
our defense sucks, Martindale sucks

last game on 3rd and 19 when the Raiders were in the redzone I remember he dialed up an all out blitz....lol

what is really sad is the amount of times we either have too many players or too few players on the field
this is getting pretty ridiculous when we start committing more 12 men in the huddle penalties in one game than several teams will all year

Archer81
10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
you keep supporting the coach that is ruining our franchise.
some teams are starting new QB's and they are playing better than us.
Ayers played few games this year and we still lost.
Doom didn't play well during later part of last year.
What do you think about our offensive problems?
There is no identity..
Keep dreaming that we will have better record with Doom.

Dude, shut up. Seriously.

Every time you post you make it appear you are even more uneducated that you actually are. Are you seriously saying that losing top talent makes no difference in a team's win/loss record?

****tard.

oubronco
10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
We had 17 last year, up from 6 in 2008. More than the 10 we are on pace for.

I think 7 is a possibility in the next 8 games don't you

Broncos4tw
10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Regardless of why we suck, stop blaming it on injuries. All teams have injuries. If your depth is so terrible, that losing 2 or 3 solid players utterly destroys your team, you are doing it wrong.

Beantown Bronco
10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Regardless of why we suck, stop blaming it on injuries. All teams have injuries. If your depth is so terrible, that losing 2 or 3 solid players utterly destroys your team, you are doing it wrong.

Take away Bob Sanders and either Freeney or Mathis and see what happens to Indy's defense. Oh, wait.....we have. They're nowhere even close to as good.

BroncoDoug
10-31-2010, 09:14 PM

I honestly don't think we will :( thats how bad it looks thus far.

KevinJames
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM
this goes without saying but I think we could of used a heavy a dose of cox today

too bad his head hurts = ( cox really needs to stop slamming into people

RhymesayersDU
10-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Pressure = picks

This. And even if not those two players in particular, it speaks to a bigger problem of needing to generate pressure on the QB. It's no coincidence that the CB goes to a team with Suh (6.5 sacks on the year I think) and suddenly starts picking off passes.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, at least we havent opened a game in a 4-4 this year

broncolife
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
this goes without saying but I think we could of used a heavy a dose of cox today

too bad his head hurts = ( cox really needs to stop slamming into people

He needs to wear proper protection:)

Cito Pelon
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Not much of a D, that's for sure. Still need some players to make any scheme work, create turnovers . . .

NASurfer
10-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Switching to drastic systems on both sides of the ball we were forced to stick bandaids in many positions. I'm not one to go overboard on how much line help we need... but we need to spend every pick we have and maybe someone else's picks too on defensive line and offensive line help. It's that ****ing bad.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

strafen
11-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I remember some people here justifying the departure of Mike Nolan.
It seemed as though every move Mcdaniels made last year "it made sense" to a few of you.
Everything was done for a reason that us haters didn't understand.
I just don't have the time to bump rthose threads where I've got insulted and abused for saying it like it is.
I hate to say I was right all along, because that meant my team actually ended up in the direction me a few others saw it going into.

This is the worse I've seen my team in many years. We've got spanked hardcore by the raiders, and we allowed the 49ers get what could be one of their only two wins they may get this season.
Pathetic!

cutthemdown
11-01-2010, 12:52 AM
DJ gets washed out because he's not big enough, not physical enough to play inside in a 3-4. He's suited to play outside in a 4-3 IMO. So unless we get some bigger, more physical inside linebacker we will continue to struggle.

Also unless we get some bigger, younger, DT and DE those linebackers we do have will continue to not have space cleared for them to make plays.

Then we need some safety's who can run and make plays on the ball on the back end and be good tacklers. Dawkins doesn't have a ton left and we have nothing behind him worth talking about.

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2010, 05:38 AM

We're at 5 right now, not 10 (we are on pace for 10). 7 more would bring us to 12, not 17.

So, I don't think we'll get 12 sacks in the next 8 games the way we are playing on D.

Jesterhole
11-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Don't worry, Popps or Dagmar will stroll in here, call you a pathetic Shanahan lover, then give you 5 reasons why McDaniels hasn't been able to succeed due to Jay Cutler.

fontaine
11-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Trust me, Gronkowski is a much more smarter and tougher player than Alphonso Smith.

I mean to start off with he's 40-50 pounds heavier than Smith so that automatically makes him tougher and his brother plays for the Pats so that pretty much means he's super smart too!!

I mean who cares about Smith? How many super bowls has Detroit won?

Rohirrim
11-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Most of the threads on this board, and boards all over the U.S. simply prove one truth: The most important guy in any franchise is the one who makes the draft picks. Make good picks and you win games, make bad picks and your franchise goes backwards.

fontaine
11-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Most of the threads on this board, and boards all over the U.S. simply prove one truth: The most important guy in any franchise is the one who makes the draft picks. Make good picks and you win games, make bad picks and your franchise goes backwards.

Pretty much it.

I would add free agency into that list along with developing those draft picks.

I mean we're not a very good football team but A LOT of it is self inflicted.

-Anyone think we'd be better off with A Smith here instead of Nate Jones giving up first down after first down?

-Or keeping Weigmann on board for veteran minimum just to push Walton or even compete against him?

-Why wasn't Andre Davis kept? He was our best run blitzer and most physical linebacker. Anyone think we could have used him now with our swiss cheese run D?

McDaniels can hang onto completely, utterly useless football players that can't even contribute on Special Teams like Richard/Brady Quinn, Jarvis Moss, Lawrence Maroney, Nate Jones but experienced and savy veterans like Weigmann who's tearing it up in KC or Andre Davis have no place here?

baja
11-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Pretty much it.

I would add free agency into that list along with developing those draft picks.

I mean we're not a very good football team but A LOT of it is self inflicted.

-Anyone think we'd be better off with A Smith here instead of Nate Jones giving up first down after first down?

-Or keeping Weigmann on board for veteran minimum just to push Walton or even compete against him?

-Why wasn't Andre Davis kept? He was our best run blitzer and most physical linebacker. Anyone think we could have used him now with our swiss cheese run D?

McDaniels can hang onto completely, utterly useless football players that can't even contribute on Special Teams like Richard/Brady Quinn, Jarvis Moss, Lawrence Maroney, Nate Jones but experienced and savy veterans like Weigmann who's tearing it up in KC or Andre Davis have no place here?

where is Andre Davis tearing it up now?

tsiguy96
11-01-2010, 07:04 AM
again, alphonso admitted himself that he messed up here in denver. and the lions d-line is nasty. suh is having a DPOY year right now, forget that hes a rookie.

UberBroncoMan
11-01-2010, 07:24 AM
where is Andre Davis tearing it up now?

Well... Andra has 41 tackles 1 INT and 1 FF in 6 games. Not exactly bad.

baja
11-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Well... Andra has 41 tackles 1 INT and 1 FF in 6 games. Not exactly bad.

For Buffalo

And the last two weeks he had 3 tackles and 6 assists the rest of his his stat line is zeros