PDA

View Full Version : The Shotgun QB Punt...

goldengopher1976
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Watching the Giants/Cowboys tonight and saw a situation I've see a bit recently that has me remembering Elway. Giants with ball in that no-man's land (too far for FG, not good for punting, 4th and long) and they punt.

I seem to remember that the Broncos would pretty regularly line up in a shotgun formation and then have Elway put a little pooch punt down into the red zone. Just makes me wonder why we never see that anymore...?

broncogary
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Watching the Giants/Cowboys tonight and saw a situation I've see a bit recently that has me remembering Elway. Giants with ball in that no-man's land (too far for FG, not good for punting, 4th and long) and they punt.

I seem to remember that the Broncos would pretty regularly line up in a shotgun formation and then have Elway put a little pooch punt down into the red zone. Just makes me wonder why we never see that anymore...?

We don't have Elway anymore.

goldengopher1976
10-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't just mean from us. Why don't any teams employ it? Does it simply come down to aptitude? Perhaps this is naivete, but it just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to execute for a QB, and the chance to pin has to be equal or better to an actual punt.

tsiguy96
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
NFL thinks players are good at one thing and one thing only.

That One Guy
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I think coaches are scared to take a risk and get hammered for it in the media. Quite often, you're talking about a change of about 30 yds in field position but they wont even take a risk on something creative.

I'd like to see more fake punts, FGs, etc. when you're in that area but no coach wants to be the one that has it backfire for not playing conservative.

broncosteven
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I would like to see the NFL go back to the player that scored the TD attempt the extra point like they did way way back.

eliminate the FG position or make them play another position but keep the roster spot. It would make PAT's interesting again and not time to run to the can.

broncogary
10-25-2010, 07:23 PM

I could see it with Tebow, with Orton, not so much. He'd probably sprain an ankle.

broncosteven
10-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I could see it with Tebow, with Orton, not so much. He'd probably sprain an ankle.

I think it is more how athletic the QB is in order to execute it without hurting himself or the team.

Didn't Elway hit one bad and it bounced back near the LOS and was a wash? I think after that Reeve's stopped running it.

BigPlayShay
10-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I remember Kordell Stewart doing it for the Steelers.

Quoydogs
10-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I think coaches are scared to take a risk and get hammered for it in the media. Quite often, you're talking about a change of about 30 yds in field position but they wont even take a risk on something creative.

I'd like to see more fake punts, FGs, etc. when you're in that area but no coach wants to be the one that has it backfire for not playing conservative.

That run from the Browns punter was pretty sweet. Hell I take him for a running back right about now. ROFL!

TDmvp
10-25-2010, 07:47 PM
That run from the Browns punter was pretty sweet. Hell I take him for a running back right about now. ROFL!

That dude showed more breakaway speed than Slowshon.

(I don't really mind Moreno but it was funny)

Man-Goblin
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I do like this question, but I think its just another result of growing up watching John Elway Unfortunately, QBs probably can't punt it farther than you or me unless they are one of the greatest athletes ever.

By the way, while we're talking about punting. Is there anything more annoying than old school lame hacks wondering outloud what happened to the coffin corner kick? Maybe it went away because it had a 1:25 success rate? Or maybe it's much better to to sky the ball since most returners are still stupid enough to take a fair catch at the 5 (yes, I'm talking about you, too, Broncos returners). Anyways, it's annoying.