PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to replace McDaniels with?

spdirty
10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know who you could get after next week, so give him the year. And give him 9 games to attempt to restore some faith that there is competence in this organization.

However, if the team doesnt show improvement, and there is no reason to think they will, who do you want to replace McDaniels?

Make mine Rick Dennison. Get the offensive line back on track. Get back to Broncos football, instead of the finesse Patriots bull****.

Or, my second choice, we are prime candidates for Bill Parcells to come here and run **** for 2-3 years, pick his coach, and get the team back on track in the future.

And for all you McDaniels ballwashers, this is the result of a 30 something year old guy who always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room in all phases of the game. Right now I have no faith that there is even a semblance of competence at Dove Valley. So as a Bronco fan, just like as a CU fan, its time to look to who I want running this team in the future.

God football in Colorado sucks right now.

TheProfessor
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't even want to think about another complete rebuild.

That and what new coach is going to hitch his wagon to tebow? I think a quick hook for McD could also spell the end to the tebow experiment.

~Crash~
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Alex Gibbs.

J/K I really think McD needs this year and Next.

spdirty
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM

That and what new coach is going to hitch his wagon to tebow? I think a quick hook for McD could also spell the end to the tebow experiment.

You wouldnt have to hitch your wagon to Tebow. We also have Orton.:sunshine:

WolfpackGuy
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Who would want to come to Denver now?

broncswin
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Cowher....there would not be a rebuild, just a change in attitude and scheme...we have alot of good parts to the puzzle, just missing those hard to find pieces...we need attitude on this team!

steeledude

Gruden loves Tebow and has said he'd love to coach a kid like that.

uplink
The last two times the Broncos lost at home to Oakland by three or more touchdowns, there was a coaching change after the season. Wade Phillips left following a 48-16 whipping in 1994, and his successor, Mike Shanahan, was fired not long after a 31-10 loss to Oakland in 2008. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=301024007

Thought that was interesting.

spdirty
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Not McDaniels' fault. He's proven himself a offensive, Orton-Lloyd and

Bowlen is at fault. Any child knows you don't give a 32 year old first time head coach the keys to the front office. Josh had enough to do on the field without worrying about what's going on upstairs.

On the day when two Jim Goodman late round running backs made us look bads, I'll say it yet again: We should have kept Jim Goodman.

couldnt agree more. But lets look to the future of this team.

BroncoBuff
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Not McDaniels' fault. He's proven himself a offensive mastermind as a coach, this year's output with journeyman talent proves it.

Bowlen is at fault. Any child knows you don't give a 32 year old first time head coach the keys to the front office. Josh had enough to do on the field without worrying about what's going on upstairs.

On the day when two Jim Goodman late round running backs made us look bad playing on new teams, I'll say it yet again: We should have kept Jim Goodman.

uplink
10-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Not to say I think there will be a change, but if there was an interim coach assigned from withing the staff to finish the year out who would it be. I doubt Wink or the o-coordinator (Macoy?) would get the nod.

dsmoot
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I want a football coach who believes in and inspires toughness in his players. Who focuses on the fundamental positions of the team, namely the OL and DL and ST. If the man's name is McDaniels, so much the better. If we aren't steadily better in those areas, no franchise QB will save you. I bring up the name of Parcells only because he took poorly playing teams, focused on those items and very quickly turned the fortunes of those teams around. He is beyond taking on another franchise. Lombardi was a similar coach. What he did in Washington in one season goes mostly unrecognized. He set the stage for the success of that franchise for years to come, first with George Allen. We need someone who will not tolerate the effort given today.

Drunk Monkey
10-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Anyone know what McDaniel's Contract is like? Did he get a 3 year guaranteed deal? I don't see Bowlen paying 2 coaches again.

DarkHorse30
10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
chucky

bronco militia
10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Who do you want to replace McDaniels with?

no idea.....I don't think there is anyone waiting in the wings this time

HAT
10-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Replace? Hahahaha....

There's not a chance in hell that Denver doesn't win the AFCW. NONE.

TheChamp24
10-24-2010, 10:10 PM
McDaniels is an offensive mastermind? He had loaded talent in New England and has done jack squat in Denver. We can't score, and his record now is 10-13 in almost 1 and a half seasons.
I'd almost say he's inclined for 1 more year unless the **** hits the fan the rest of this year.
He already caused some friction IMO with the drafting of Tebow. If we get a new coach, he's going to have to address that and deal with that, making sure he's doing something productive with him.

titan
10-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not ready to give up on McD yet, but from the start I said KC did it right in hiring a top GM (Pioli) and letting the GM pick the coach. If McD is replaced get the best player personnel man money can buy as your GM and let him do the rest. If McD fails in Denver, it will be because of his poor drafts and trades, not his poor coaching.

TheReverend
10-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Replace? Hahahaha....

There's not a chance in hell that Denver doesn't win the AFCW. NONE.

..........what?

Florida_Bronco
10-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Make mine Rick Dennison. Get the offensive line back on track. Get back to Broncos football, instead of the finesse Patriots bull****.

So you hate finesse football, but want to replace our non-finesse offense with the finesse zone blocking scheme.

Logic fail.

dsmoot
10-24-2010, 10:19 PM
McDaniels is an offensive mastermind? He had loaded talent in New England and has done jack squat in Denver. We can't score, and his record now is 10-13 in almost 1 and a half seasons.
I'd almost say he's inclined for 1 more year unless the **** hits the fan the rest of this year.
He already caused some friction IMO with the drafting of Tebow. If we get a new coach, he's going to have to address that and deal with that, making sure he's doing something productive with him.

Friction, with whom? Given the way Orton played last year, his progress was certainly not a given this year. If anything, the drafting of Tebow inspired Orton to focus on keeping his job and improving. I still think Tebow will ultimately win the competition. Giving Josh some credit, he is standing behind Orton after he outright won the job as he should. I think he went to an extreme today doing that and denying Tebow playing time he should have had.

DBroncos4life
10-24-2010, 10:21 PM

You don't really believe that coaches won't be fired yet again this offseason do you? I would bet money that even if McD get another year that we are looking at another DC in Denver

spdirty
10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not ready to give up on McD yet, but from the start I said KC did it right in hiring a top GM (Pioli) and letting the GM pick the coach. If McD is replaced get the best player personnel man money can buy as your GM and let him do the rest. If McD fails in Denver, it will be because of his poor drafts and trades, not his poor coaching.

So your saying he didnt do a poor job coaching this last week? When he benched Hillis last year that was excellent coaching? When he benched Marshall in a game we needed to win to have a shot in the playoffs that wasnt poor coaching either?

When he constantly goes for it rather than take the points against indy that was a good coaching job as well? When we are passing on 3rd and 4th and an inch thats excellent coaching as well right? Today when he keeps Orton in there, risking injury when there is no point to him being in there, that isnt poor coaching as well right? I'm still waiting to see the good all around coaching come out of him since the 6-0 start.

Right now the only thing I have seen out of McD that could be viewed as a positive is that he is an excellent QB coach. But thats it.

HAT
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
..........what?

What, what? Denver wins this division. How do they not with the schedule that lies ahead?

???

spdirty
10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
So you hate finesse football, but want to replace our non-finesse offense with the finesse zone blocking scheme.

Logic fail.

Ill take a finesse zone blocking scheme over the **** that has been trotted out there this season any day of the week.

Under Shanny/Gibbs/Dennison, you NEVER had an offensive line nearly as pathetic as what we have seen this year.

I want to go with what has worked over a period of 15 years. You would prefer stick with the garbage we have right now. Now you are excused. Go back to licking McDs a-hole you ****.

mod note: Becoming "creative" in an intentional effort to circumvent the language filter... particularly regarding a word that is offensive in any and every context like the one you used... is a bannable offense. Please do not do it again.

Ratboy
10-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Cowher if we do not want to rebuild.

Florida_Bronco
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Ill take a finesse zone blocking scheme over the **** that has been trotted out there this season any day of the week.

Under Shanny/Gibbs/Dennison, you NEVER had an offensive line nearly as pathetic as what we have seen this year.

I want to go with what has worked over a period of 15 years. You would prefer stick with the garbage we have right now. Now you are excused. Go back to licking McDs a-hole you ****.

So despite the fact that it's worked for over a decade in New England but looks bad this year with an injury depleted line, you think that's a good reason to scrap it all and go back to the finesse offense you hate so much.

Double logic fall.

HAT
10-24-2010, 10:42 PM
..........what?

If I would've told you in August (And I probably did) that Denver would be tied with SD after week 7 you would've came in a lobster with TLJ looking on.

spdirty
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
So despite the fact that it's worked for over a decade in New England but looks bad this year with an injury depleted line, you think that's a good reason to scrap it all and go back to the finesse offense you hate so much.

Double logic fall.

Gee, who has New England had as their quarterback since 2001? How has the New England running game been since 2001?

And its currently week 8. Not week 1. The offensive line is not "injury depleted" anymore. You have to look for another excuse for their pathetic play.

Florida_Bronco
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Gee, who has New England had as their quarterback since 2001? How has the New England running game been since 2001? They've actually had a pretty good running game, including a 1600 yard rusher.

And its currently week 8. Not week 1. The offensive line is not "injury depleted" anymore. You have to look for another excuse for their pathetic play. Clady isn't up to full speed yet, and Beadles has had to move over to RT to take over for Harris. We have one healthy veteran on the entire line.

uplink
10-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Todays game was so bad I think McD went from being a lock to have a 3rd year to being gone if he doesn't make the playoffs.

NFLBRONCO
10-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Todays game was so bad I think McD went from being a lock to have a 3rd year to being gone if he doesn't make the playoffs.

Imo he is a lock for 2011 after that who knows

Bronco Yoda
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
The last two Broncos coaches to lose at home to the Raiders by at least 21 were gone after the season.

Rascal
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Is bowlen still paying for Shanny? if so he won't pay for three HC next year.

I agree with the guy that said we need to get a top GM first and let them run the team instead of this BS we had with McD and Shanny.

I don't know if Gruden wants all of the power or not, but I'd start there. I think Cowher will stay retired.

footstepsfrom#27
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Nobody at this point. You don't dump the head coach with a knee jerk reaction to a blow out, even a divisional home thrashing to the Raiders. He needs to get next year at least.

SlipperyPete
10-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Why is there any talk of Bill Parcells? A team in our division has Parcells' son-in-law as GM, a Parcells protoge as head coach, and numerous Parcells lieutenants on the coaching staff. He's not coming anywhere near here.

TheProfessor
10-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Is bowlen still paying for Shanny? if so he won't pay for three HC next year.

I agree with the guy that said we need to get a top GM first and let them run the team instead of this BS we had with McD and Shanny.

I don't know if Gruden wants all of the power or not, but I'd start there. I think Cowher will stay retired.

As far as I know Bowlen is done paying Shanny, but along the same lines, there is no chance he is going to pay 2 entire coaching staffs when there might not be football in 2011.

The kid is most likely going to get one more year.

NFLBRONCO
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Nobody at this point. You don't dump the head coach with a knee jerk reaction to a blow out, even a divisional home thrashing to the Raiders. He needs to get next year at least.

Agree 100%

If FO does not address DE ILB OL and a speed RB this offseason I'll start to wonder about this crew.

TheReverend
10-24-2010, 11:52 PM
If I would've told you in August (And I probably did) that Denver would be tied with SD after week 7 you would've came in a lobster with TLJ looking on.

First, and most importantly, you're a retarded jerk off.

Secondly, last year we were up three games on SD in week 7. Who cares? Not sure if you noticed, but KC is actually looking legit. SD looks average. We look like the cellar team of the worst division in football.

driver
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Cowher??? Hell nooo! Someone mentioned Gruden good tough coach who knows you win games at the los. Mc Dufus has been screwing up the oline for 2 yrs. He needs to get his ego out of the way. Leave the players on the field and get some consistancey going. Maybe he should also consider getting rid of his NE cast offs . I mean the players he brought here to kiss his butt. So far he's 50/50 in my mind He's made some good choices and some bad. He needs to look real hard at coaching staff IMO the only one holding up to scrutiny is martindale. I've watched the broncs for over 40 yrs today was the most embarassing display of "preparedness" I've seen. Sorry for rambling all over the place I'm pi__ed off.

Zoobie
10-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Well for one, give this team until the end of the season. A lot can change in nine games. If our season goes horribly, I still say we keep McDaniels on board, give him another offseason and another draft. I truly don't believe things are as bad as people seem to think, except all the people who expect nothing less than a super bowl every damn year. This takes time people, and to give any coach(aside from an interm) less than 4 years I find ridiculous, unless it's just a painful situation(Jim Mora Jr.). It's a process, and these things take time. I for one am excited to see what Orton, Bay Bay, Royal, and the rest of our offense can do especially in year 3, though i'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't understand where people have come up with McDaniels "ego", or that "he always thinks he's the smartest man in the room"? For starters, if you're the head coach you better be confident in what you're doing, and at no point do I think he has become arrogant. Though I did not like losing Cutler or Marshall, as a coach you have to have control of your team. He chose not to let Cutler cry to the media any more, and faced Marshall head on, got a productive year out of him and then shipped him off. You don't let players dictate your team, and it's important that you're the man in charge and you will find players who buy into what you're preaching and WANT to be a part of it. Marshall and Cutler chose not to, so they got sent packing, just like many players do when a new coach comes in.

HAT
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM
First, and most importantly, you're a retarded jerk off.

Secondly, last year we were up three games on SD in week 7. Who cares? Not sure if you noticed, but KC is actually looking legit. SD looks average. We look like the cellar team of the worst division in football.

Thread subscribed.....You Nancies are awesome with your overreactions to individual wins/losses.

So SD looks average at 2-5 yet Denver looks like the cellar dweller of the worst division in football at 2-5? Suuuuuuuuuure.

2009 was so last year.....If you actually think that KC or Oakland are winning this divisions it just reinforces my belief that I wish I had the bankroll to book the OM. I'm starting to think that Slap was right about you people.

Bronco Yoda
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
I can't take anymore losses like this one. Not from the hands of our hated rivals. Least of all the Raiders. I simply do not have the antibodies within me to stave of this kind of viral outbreak.

Spontaneous combustion is a real possibility.

Zoobie
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Thread subscribed.....You Nancies are awesome with your overreactions to individual wins/losses.

So SD looks average at 2-5 yet Denver looks like the cellar dweller of the worst division in football at 2-5? Suuuuuuuuuure.

2009 was so last year.....If you actually think that KC or Oakland are winning this divisions it just reinforces my belief that I wish I had the bankroll to book the OM. I'm starting to think that Slap was right about you people.

Though the shelacking was hard to take, it's not like we get a "super mega loss" on our record that counts as 3, we're 2-5. The Chargers lost to the Rams. I think it's safe to say a lot can still happen in the worst division in the NFL.

TheReverend
10-25-2010, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry. I clearly missed the sure signs that we're trending upward that you're seeing... Hilarious!

HAT
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Though the shelacking was hard to take, it's not like we get a "super mega loss" on our record that counts as 3, we're 2-5. The Chargers lost to the Rams. I think it's safe to say a lot can still happen in the worst division in the NFL.

Exactly....People are acting like Denver lost BCS points or something. 2-5 sucks ass but I was way more pissed off at last weeks 4th & 6 miracle.

0-1 in the division......OH NOES!

HAT
10-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry. I clearly missed the sure signs that we're trending upward that you're seeing... Hilarious!

Apology accepted.

RhymesayersDU
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Crap, I gave Oakland a 13.534525% of winning this game on Saturday.

24champ
10-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Not McDaniels' fault. He's proven himself a offensive mastermind as a coach, this year's output with journeyman talent proves it.

On the day when two Jim Goodman late round running backs made us look bad playing on new teams, I'll say it yet again: We should have kept Jim Goodman.

If anything, Xanders needs to be canned and then find a suitable replacement. Relegate McDaniels to HC only. Joe Ellis needs to be fired as well since he should never be anywhere near football operations.

None of this will happen though, they are all joined at the hip and nobody is going anywhere. This is what we will have to deal with for the foreseeable future.

TheReverend
10-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Joe Ellis needs to be fired as well since he should never be anywhere near football operations.

Ya this point gets overlooked far too often.

I really, really, really think he'll be looked back on as the man who set this franchise back a long time.

24champ
10-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Ya this point gets overlooked far too often.

I really, really, really think he'll be looked back on as the man who set this franchise back a long time.

Not a lot of people know this guys influence in the organization. I would say this guy is second in command to Bowlen. He pretty much fired Shanahan, and hired McDaniels, who I wanted as replacement for Shanahan. He also influenced Bowlen on certain players. Most of which are not here anymore. Those aren't his responsibilities, yet there he is making football decisions.

baja
10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
As far as I know Bowlen is done paying Shanny, but along the same lines, there is no chance he is going to pay 2 entire coaching staffs when there might not be football in 2011.

The kid is most likely going to get one more year.

He's paying the difference between 7 mil and what Shanny is making in Washington. I think about 3 mil.

Caveat Lector
10-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Slowik...

ZONA
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
It doesn't matter. As long as we get a new HC every year or every other year, that's all we need. Hilarious!

TDmvp
10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
He pretty much fired Shanahan, and hired McDaniels, who I wanted as replacement for Shanahan.

So let me get this straight , You wanted Josh to replace Shanny ? ...

Like so as soon as Shanny was gone the name that popped into your head was Josh ? ...

As hurt as I was about the firing of shanny , when I though about who i wanted to replace him Josh who I actually knew a lot about from living in Ohio wasn't even in the thought.

I really can't think of why anyone would have said to themselves , You know that 31 year old guy who has been involved in the nfl for like 7 seasons that's who I want replacing a legend. No pressure.

Josh my very well end up being a great head coach , here or somewhere else.
As much as I didn't like the hire or the man even before he was hired from things I knew about his past , He does some things I like . I liked the fist pump after beating the pats , I like his youthful moments when he shows his fire ... He should be that way more.

I liked calm shanny But i don't want that outa Josh , I want to see fire and emotion ...

But Josh was so set up to fail as much as Griese was ...
Replacing a legend , having his Qb turn on him and not being a NFL lifer who the guys bought into at this point (and to me that was more Jay being mad about the Shanny firing and being a spoiled douche even if I love his skill set) ...

But we can't fire Josh yet , we don't have enough to evaluate that yet and teams that change coaches every 3 years are stupid.

Florida_Bronco
10-25-2010, 01:18 AM

Like so as soon as Shanny was gone the name that popped into your head was Josh ? ...

As hurt as I was about the firing of shanny , when I though about who i wanted to replace him Josh who I actually knew a lot about from living in Ohio wasn't even in the thought.

I really can't think of why anyone would have said to themselves , You know that 31 year old guy who has been involved in the nfl for like 7 seasons that's who I want replacing a legend. No pressure.

As much as I didn't like the hire or the man even before he was hired from things I knew about his past , He does some things I like . I liked the fist pump after beating the pats , I like his youthful moments when he shows his fire ... He should be that way more.

I liked calm shanny But i don't want that outa Josh , I want to see fire and emotion ...

Replacing a legend , having his Qb turn on him and not being a NFL lifer who the guys bought into at this point (and to me that was more Jay being mad about the Shanny firing and being a spoiled douche even if I love his skill set) ...

But we can't fire Josh yet , we don't have enough to evaluate that yet and teams that change coaches every 3 years are stupid.

Me and Champ both wanted McDaniels from the start. Of course we both follow the league enough to know who he was long before Shanny was fired.

Ratboy
10-25-2010, 01:21 AM
You idiots act like we've hired and fired 3 head coaches in the past 3 seasons.

Bowlen made a mistake in hiring Josh McDaniels, he has shown little promise since his 6 game win streak last season.

Give him until the end of the season and act accordingly then.

For him to stay even longer, he needs to be in the running for the playoffs.

HAT
10-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Bowlen made a mistake in hiring Josh McDaniels, he has shown little promise since his 6 game win streak last season.

Contradict yourself much?

24champ
10-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Actually yes, I wanted McDaniels rather than join the Spagfest that ensued on here. I thought with McDaniels offensive mind and Cutler's talent at QB, that the offense could conceivably be taken to new heights the NFL has yet to see. I still do believe that if they were able to coexist that they would blow the doors off the league. Obviously, personalities clashed and so forth, and it never materialized.

Oh well, that was then.

Zoobie
10-25-2010, 01:34 AM

With the time we've all ready invested in Josh as a coach, I don't see any reason to jump the gun like that. Jesus, you people are impatient. Shanny left a team with some offensive talent and that's about it. I think cumulatively we have much more talent on the roster today, it's a matter of getting it all in line and making it work. I'm not some McDaniels apologist, but firing a coach after 1 1/2 years is absurd. If we're 2-5 next season, yes I believe his job is in jeopardy. As terrible as we've looked at times this season, we've also shown that we can hang with the big dogs(Jets, Titans, Colts) even though we were unable to capitalize or close out some of the games. Hell, i'm still plenty optimistic about this season, if we get a few players back from injury I think we have a schedule that could allow us to put together a nice win streak. Above all, if we fire Josh McDaniels(we won't), who on earth would you replace him with? Cowher is the ONLY coach that I think would suffice, and even then he has not even expressed interest in getting back to coaching. Be patient, and try to enjoy the games not look for a reason to bitch.

TDmvp
10-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Actually yes, I wanted McDaniels rather than join the Spagfest that ensued on here. I thought with McDaniels offensive mind and Cutler's talent at QB, that the offense could conceivably be taken to new heights the NFL has yet to see. I still do believe that if they were able to coexist that they would blow the doors off the league. Obviously, personalities clashed and so forth, and it never materialized.

Oh well, that was then.

Me and Champ both wanted McDaniels from the start. Of course we both follow the league enough to know who he was long before Shanny was fired.

Good post by both you guys who wanted Josh , Florida_Bronco and 24champ ... This stuff is all opinion and never personal.

And he still could be a very good coach and has to be a smart guy to been in the league from the time he was 20 something.

FireFly
10-25-2010, 02:32 AM

I was thinking the EXACT same thing and said so in another thread.

Tebow goes with McDaniels imo

FireFly
10-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Cowher if we do not want to rebuild.

Cowher anyhow. :strong:

TDmvp
10-25-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm not sure Cowher will ever coach again after the loss he suffered or be great if he did coach ...

One thing for sure the Bengals sure screwed the pooch when they fired Sam Wyche , and had Cowher and Dave Shula on their staff that it came down to pick as the replacements and they went with Shula Hilarious! , and the next year Bill is the steelers coach and the Bengals are the Bengals LOL ...

Dr. Broncenstein
10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Nolan

lostknight
10-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Schotty Sr, Parcels, Cowher, Nolan, Bates... In that order.

lostknight
10-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Look at who you have as your avatar. That's all we need to know about your judgement

Broncoman13
10-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Not to say I think there will be a change, but if there was an interim coach assigned from withing the staff to finish the year out who would it be. I doubt Wink or the o-coordinator (Macoy?) would get the nod.

Wink will get the nod... wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we saw one of two things happen after the Niners game.

1. McD fired and Wink named interim HC.
2. Tebow to start the final 8 games to buy McD time.

We'll find out a lot about McD's status in the coming week or two. We will see exactly how much Pat Bowlen likes his new HC.

Broncoman13
10-25-2010, 07:19 AM
BTW, my preference would be Jim Harbaugh or Jon Gruden.

Harbaugh could bring in a defensive coordinator like John Fox, Wade Phillips (who will be done in Dallas soon enough) or Singletary (who also will be done soon enough). Gruden could bring in any one of those guys as well.

i4jelway7
10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
i want Cowher if Mcd gets canned

orinjkrush
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Gruden as HC, Joshie down to OC and Singletary as DC. a mix of tough and smart.

long beach bronco
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Sad to say, Mcd will be fired unless the Broncos make the playoffs this year. He's as good as done. I can remember Pat Bowlen's press conference when Wade Philips got fired. He said, "I no longer have any confidence in the direction this team is going, I no longer have the faith that this coaching staff can get it done." He will probably be saying a repeat of those words this January.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I'd love to see McDaniels hang around as the OC, but I don't see that happening. I think Wade Phillips would make an excellent DC - his time as a head coach is up. I'm not sure that you can wriggle Cowher/Gruden away from TV. Look at their lives - they watch football for a living and get paid a ****load to do a couple hours of TV each week. It's cake.

A guy like Parcells in the office can do great things to change the mindset of a franchise. I think any replacement (if that actually ends up being a reality) needs to be someone that has experience, can motivate guys and turn things around sooner than later. Brian Billick, Mike Zimmer, Mike Singletary (don't laugh - it's a rough team, but that offense is a mess. Give him a decent offense and he'll be just fine). Dungy? Though he'd also be hard to pull away from TV. Jim Harbaugh as an experiment.

Mecklomaniac
10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
John Elway .... Fans wouldn't be too quick to turn on him

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Why don't we replace McDaniels with go_Broncos, because he has all the answers?

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd love to see McDaniels hang around as the OC, but I don't see that happening. I think Wade Phillips would make an excellent DC - his time as a head coach is up. I'm not sure that you can wriggle Cowher/Gruden away from TV. Look at their lives - they watch football for a living and get paid a ****load to do a couple hours of TV each week. It's cake.

A guy like Parcells in the office can do great things to change the mindset of a franchise. I think any replacement (if that actually ends up being a reality) needs to be someone that has experience, can motivate guys and turn things around sooner than later. Brian Billick, Mike Zimmer, Mike Singletary (don't laugh - it's a rough team, but that offense is a mess. Give him a decent offense and he'll be just fine). Dungy? Though he'd also be hard to pull away from TV. Jim Harbaugh as an experiment.

Bring in Wade as DC and McD as OC? Then go grab a guy like Gruden...

McD is here for at least one more year, guys. He's a good coach.

Broncoman13
10-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Maybe Pat Bowlen does what he should have done in the first place and brings in a true GM type. Someone like Parcells, Schotty Sr., Cowher, or Dungy to act like Parcells did with the Dolphins. Let McD stay in place, but have someone calling the shots above him. Parcells makes the most sense in this scenario as that is the tree from which McD was grown.

Broncoman13
10-25-2010, 08:36 AM

McD is a decent head coach, but a remarkable Offensive Coordinator. Still, when is the last time a HC took a down grade to an OC/DC on the same team. Has it ever happened?

Man-Goblin
10-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Am I the only one that realizes Jerry Jones is going to offer Cowher $15 gazillion to coach the Cowboys as soon as the season ends?

Josh should, and hopefully will, get 2011 to prove himself.

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
McD is a decent head coach, but a remarkable Offensive Coordinator. Still, when is the last time a HC took a down grade to an OC/DC on the same team. Has it ever happened?

I don't know in the NFL, but I can think of several examples in college football and in the NHL.

I can also think of several example in the NFL where a coordinator has taken a downgrade to a positions coach - recent example: Rick Dennison was the Broncos offensive coordinator in 2008, and offensive line coach in 2009.

Garcia Bronco
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
McDaniels might know all the x's and o's, but he couldn't sell a bucket of water to guy that was on fire.

go_broncos
10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

What makes you think like that..

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
McDaniels might know all the x's and o's, but he couldn't sell a bucket of water to guy that was on fire.

That's probably true, but I still want to see what he can do with a healthy compliment o players.

Garcia Bronco
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM

No he isn't. He's a terrible coach. The results speak for themselves.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-25-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't see him stepping down. It would seem like an insult. I think he needs more time working as an OC/Asst. before getting another HC gig.

Rabb
10-25-2010, 08:46 AM
That's probably true, but I still want to see what he can do with a healthy compliment o players.

Me also but every team deals with injuries, and we have to play the guys we picked to be here as their backups.

How do we almost beat the Jets who have a remarkable defense, then score 14 against the Raiders while they drop 59 on us?

We stopped Chris Johnson and the Jets running games for the most part, then the Oakland freaking Raiders waltz in and ass rape us on the ground. Might just be me, but the injury excuse doesn't work anymore.

Rohirrim
10-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Sean McDermott.

bendog
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Bowlen is not going to pay THREE coaches with a lockout looming. Live with it.

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Me also but every team deals with injuries, and we have to play the guys we picked to be here as their backups.

How do we almost beat the Jets who have a remarkable defense, then score 14 against the Raiders while they drop 59 on us?

We stopped Chris Johnson and the Jets running games for the most part, then the Oakland freaking Raiders waltz in and ass rape us on the ground. Might just be me, but the injury excuse doesn't work anymore.

Something in the water?

Hard to blame McD for fumbles and our DBs getting torched and D-line getting analy raped.

go_broncos
Bowlen is not going to pay THREE coaches with a lockout looming. Live with it.

Three Coaches????..Bowlen doesn't need to pay to Shanny as far as i know..

driver

Harbaugh could bring in a defensive coordinator like John Fox, Wade Phillips (who will be done in Dallas soon enough) or Singletary (who also will be done soon enough). Gruden could bring in any one of those guys as well.

Agree 100%. Gruden for sure. Don't know about Harbaugh Lacks nfl experience as a coach (That's what we've got now). But I think we'll also need a good man at GM instead of xander.
For those on the Cowher bandwagon remember how stubborn he was with the Slash experiment before you start talking him up!

go_broncos
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Something in the water?

Hard to blame McD for fumbles and our DBs getting torched and D-line getting analy raped.

Those are his players and he needs to take blame..

Rabb
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Something in the water?

agree 100%

I am just saying, at some point it comes down to the coach having the team prepared

honest question...on paper who was more talented yesterday?

bronco militia
10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

yes and no

since Shanny took over in Washington, Bowlen only has to pay him one more season. Bowlen and Shanny agreed to split the final payment into two payments spread out over this year and next.

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 09:04 AM

It's harder to be consistant when you're initial idea of who you wanted in (the team that you built to fit your system) isn't available.

Nathan Jones is a good example. A terrible corner that has to start at safety. Cox - a rookie 4th rounder in a CB. It's a makeshift defens If Goodman and Dawkins or even McBath is in there I think the Raiders score 4 fewer TDs.

Also, Hochstein is just terrible. He should be selling real estate or something. He'd be better at than than football.

bendog
10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Under terms of his new contract, Shanahan has agreed to a deal that is expected to pay him approximately $7 million per year. The Broncos fired Shanahan following the 2008 season and owed him $14 million on his previous contract. They have agreed to pick up approximately $3.5 million each in 2010 and 2011, according to a Denver Post report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/05/AR2010010503717.html

shanny's still on bowlen's payroll. I vaguely recall something about them stretching it out over a third year which I think woudl be 2011, but I'm not sure about it, and don't see a link.

ps, there's no way Bowlen pays dead money to shanny and mcdaniels while paying yet a third guy to sit in an office at dove valley during a lockout. IF he does, he's actually dumber than I think he is, and imo people vastly overrate his executive ability.

Mogulseeker
10-25-2010, 09:15 AM
agree 100%

I am just saying, at some point it comes down to the coach having the team prepared

honest question...on paper who was more talented yesterday?

You can't judge talent with stats. On paper, yes the Raiders are a better team. They beat us big time. They have a better record.

But if you look at the big scheme of things, sticking with what works is just safe. Every great coach has ups and downs. Shanahan was 24-24 his last three seasons.

Tom Landry was 0-11-1 his first year as a coach, 4-9-1 his second, 5-8-1 his third, 4-10 his fourth... he made the NFC championship in 1966 and by 1967 it was the start of a dynasty.

You have to stick with a coach. McD has what it takes... just watch. jeez, i feel like 2008 when I had to calm down everybody about the Cutler trade using the logic that McD can work wonders with a QB - and he has. (Development of Tebow is another reason to keep him here.)

Rabb
10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
You can't judge talent with stats. On paper, yes the Raiders are a better team. They beat us big time. They have a better record.

But if you look at the big scheme of things, sticking with what works is just safe. Every great coach has ups and downs. Shanahan was 24-24 his last three seasons.

Tom Landry was 0-11-1 his first year as a coach, 4-9-1 his second, 5-8-1 his third, 4-10 his fourth... he made the NFC championship in 1966 and by 1967 it was the start of a dynasty.

You have to stick with a coach. McD has what it takes... just watch. jeez, i feel like 2008 when I had to calm down everybody about the Cutler trade using the logic that McD can work wonders with a QB - and he has. (Development of Tebow is another reason to keep him here.)

See, I don't agree I was actually making the point that we are a more talented team top to bottom than the Raiders and stats aside, should have at a bare minimum been competitive.

zdoor
10-25-2010, 09:54 AM

I like both of those choices...

JJG
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
McD will get until the end of the year at least, he deserves that. How the team plays over the next 9 games will determine his long term future.

I expected some rough patches in his first couple years as he brought in his guys, but I honestly thought the team would improve overall. He has a plan for the team and it sounds great. The problem is what we see on the field doesn't seem to match up with the plan.

We were small in the trenches on both sides. There was hardly any talent on the D line, and we got no push up front on offense. McD wanted bigger physical players and he got his wish. Problem is the results are much the same on D and even worse on offense. The D line is still being neglected in the draft and he is doing pretty much the same thing shanny was by bringing in retreads who never quite pan out.

McDaniels preaches situational awareness, yet week after week we continue to make dumb mistakes. not enough men on the field etc..

McDaniels wants smart, disciplined players, yet we continue to be out of position, miss assignments and commit dumb penalties. Despite chances to win games, we simply cannnot execute.

McDaniels wanted to be more efficient in the red zone and rightfully so. but have we actually improved?

McDaniels appears to be detail oriented, judging by the preseason walk through at investco, going over how to line up and where to sit. But there is a disconnect somewhere from what he talks about and what the players are actually doing.

I expected this to be a smart, tough team who lacked a bit of talent, but played mistake free football. It would be enough to have a winning record, and be competitive in most games. We would lose to some of the better teams because of talent differential. We wouldn't make a ton of noise in the playoff untill we got more talent on the roster, but he would get the foundation in place. Based on the standards McDainels himself laid out, he gets a D so far.

TheChamp24
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm just curious what has he shown you in these 23 games that he has what it takes?

baja
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
See, I don't agree I was actually making the point that we are a more talented team top to bottom than the Raiders and stats aside, should have at a bare minimum been competitive.

The hopeful part is we have been competitive in every game and against much better teams so we can reason yesterday was a perfect storm of shiit. We will know in 6 days where this stands character wise.

baja
10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Next Sunday will reveal much about Josh McDaniels.

bendog
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Next Sunday will reveal much about Josh McDaniels.

Get er done, or suffer the fate in merry old England

http://www.stonewallsociety.com/famouspeople/king.htm

HAT
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

The NFL doesn't work like that though. A busted coverage, a terrible pick 6 and a fluky fumble had Denver down 21 5 minutes into the game. At that point, the Raiders could play loose, take chances, send the house, etc. etc. and it just snowballs from there.

People like to think that "Hey, at least there's 55 minutes to scratch back into this thing". But really, teams have a better chance coming back from a more traditional 21 point deficit at halftime than they do if they go down 21 in a disheartening way 5 minutes into the game.

Butterfly effect.

Rohirrim
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
I believe that someday, Josh will be a hell of a head coach. The question now becomes, how long will it take?

Cito Pelon
10-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm just curious what has he shown you in these 23 games that he has what it takes?

Josh has given the team every chance to win. What is he supposed to do, play the game for them?

Dogsweat
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Replace him with Tom Cable.

TheChamp24
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Josh has given the team every chance to win. What is he supposed to do, play the game for them?

Is he not responsible for how the team practices, preps, the gameplan?
Is he not responsible for what players are brought into the team?
Is he not responsible for the scheme that we play?
After watching him now this year, I don't think he will be successful as head coach for a long time. Prove me wrong McDaniels, I just don't see it.
He hasn't beat a division rival at home so far through 4 games and all but 1 have been blowouts.

bendog
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Get better players.

TheReverend
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Did you think that his players looked prepared or in a position to make a play yesterday?

Because that is literally his job description.

DBroncos4life
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
I want John Gruden and Bill Callahan as the OC/OL coach.

HAT
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I want John Gruden and Bill Callahan as the OC/OL coach.

I don't want, nor do I think McD is going anywhere soon. But if it were to happen, Gruden is the logical choice if Bowlen wants Tebow to have a shot at QBOTF.

DBroncos4life
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't want, nor do I think McD is going anywhere soon. But if it were to happen, Gruden is the logical choice if Bowlen wants Tebow to have a shot at QBOTF.

Yep and he could get his good friend Callahan away from the Jets to fix our OL/ running woes.

Zoobie
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Parcells won't even touch a team in the AFC West, so you can stratch that. Singletary is a horrible head coach, though he is an excellent D Coordinator, scratch that if we're trying to upgrade our staff. Brian Billick, seriously? Or hire a college coach, great. I don't see any of these as better options than giving Josh this year, and next.

Rabb
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM

yep and one thing would be damn certain, he would take great effort and joy in beating the Raiders