PDA

View Full Version : Front Seven

oubronco
10-24-2010, 04:47 PM
If McD doesn't invest heavily in the front seven tghis offseason i'm gonna freak out!!! This has gone on far too long our Defense sucks

jmz313
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
He needs to invest in better draft brain trust first... Then maybe learn thay the players play the game and he is the coach. It's ok if the players get credit.

Paladin
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
He needs to invest in better draft brain trust first... Then maybe learn thay the players play the game and he is the coach. It's ok if the players get credit.

Did you read that somewhere?

Same old crap. You got anything new to contribute?

jmz313
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Did you read that somewhere?

Same old crap. You got anything new to contribute?

Really, guess I missed it... Or maybe I'm finally accepting it.

eddie mac
10-24-2010, 04:59 PM
If McD doesn't invest heavily in the front seven tghis offseason i'm gonna freak out!!! This has gone on far too long our Defense sucks

I wouldn't trust him at all with that type of investment.

Jamal Williams 3yrs $16m $7m guaranteed
Justin Bannan 5yrs $22m $9m guaranteed
Jarvis Green 4yrs $20m $7m guaranteed

gyldenlove
10-24-2010, 05:06 PM

We need what we have needed since Pryce left, to draft legit defensive linemen, we tried it once, it netted Jarvis Moss and then we either gave up or thought that was good enough, either way we need to go draft some talent.

fontaine
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Jamal Williams has been pretty disapointing so far this season.

Bannan is all class and gives 100%. Thomas is doing well and Vickerson a surprise. But the rest are nothing special.

McD has been worse than Shanahan when it comes to the DL.

That One Guy
10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
We need what we have needed since Pryce left, to draft legit defensive linemen, we tried it once, it netted Jarvis Moss and then we either gave up or thought that was good enough, either way we need to go draft some talent.

Anyone else remember being in the chatroom when we were screaming for Red Bryant in the 4th? 2 years ago maybe? We ended up going with an OL, I want to remember...

Pete Carroll was on one of those Sirius shows and was talking about how great he's been playing and sounded like he was everything we need now.

Sometimes BPA doesn't work out for ya. Especially if you miss entirely on the pick.

ZONA
10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of defensive guys drafted next year.

oubronco
10-24-2010, 05:24 PM

I sure hope so we've had enough offensive drafts we need defense badly

elsid13
10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Or another QB.

That One Guy
10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I sure hope so we've had enough offensive drafts we need defense badly

McD has brought in a LOT of OL through the draft and FA and they're still playing this rough. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he tries again unless he sees something that tells him they're growing.

bronco militia
10-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Bannan is all class and gives 100%. Thomas is doing well and Vickerson a surprise. But the rest are nothing special.

not really.

but mcdaniels has virtually ignored the front seven on draft day

KipCorrington25
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Do you really trust that responsibilty in his hands? The guy has shown he's clueless at judging talent.

oubronco
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
McD has brought in a LOT of OL through the draft and FA and they're still playing this rough. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he tries again unless he sees something that tells him they're growing.

That would be alright as long as it's one mean nasty sumbeech

Broncosfreak_56
10-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Our OLBs(when healthy) are fine, and DJ williams is good. Its our line that needs work, and I hope we get impact players in the draft on the line.

Steve Prefontaine
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM

that made me throw up for about the 8th time today.

oubronco
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Who would everybody want to fix this glaring weakness, Players and Coach

PRBronco
10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Excellent new thread.

Damn McD getting rid of all those front 7 studs Shanny accumulated!

Smiling Assassin27
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

McD tried to go the Patriot route with the front 7 and get just guys that are cheap on the FA market. The problem is that Bellichick had Crennell and himself who could coach the hell out of 'em. We got the bargain shelf guys but lack the quality coach and scheme to make them better than they actually are. Then there's the draft. We need Richard Seymour, McGinnest, or Ty Warren-like talent.

missingnumber7
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
We need another ILB to go along with DJ...I like Hagan, and Ayers has been better than I thought he was going to do. But with Doom coming back next year they need another monster to work with DJ and I think our LB corps will be in good shape and that will take some heat of off the front 3 which will make our D great, but we need to find the next SS to take over for Dawk.

oubronco
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
We need another ILB to go along with DJ...I like Hagan, and Ayers has been better than I thought he was going to do. But with Doom coming back next year they need another monster to work with DJ and I think our LB corps will be in good shape and that will take some heat of off the front 3 which will make our D great, but we need to find the next SS to take over for Dawk.

Darieous?

Smiling Assassin27
10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Darieous?

No, Ed Reed.

Popps
10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Excellent new thread.

Damn McD getting rid of all those front 7 studs Shanny accumulated!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/football/nfl/players/5064.jpg
...uhhh... dude, step off.

I wonder if our front seven would be any better if the league sack leader and our budding young stud OLB were healthy?

Naaaaaah.

TheReverend
10-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Bannan is the John Engleberger of the 3-4 bro.

oubronco
10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Bannan is the John Engleberger of the 3-4 bro.

Bannan is the best D-lineman we have

Drek
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Front seven? Try front three.

Ayers was looking very good early this season. DJ has been a very good player all year as well as last year. Doom was the best pass rusher in the NFL last season.

We could probably use an upgrade at ILB but you're talking about a two down player there. Haggan might be that guy if he had some help from the line. Joe Mays might be that guy under those same conditions too. No matter what we aren't going to invest real draft value in a two down guy (at least I really hope not).

Its again, as always, all about our DL. We've got some veteran patches and some younger guys who look like solid role players but we do not have a single tough match-up in the group. Makes it far too easy for defense to gameplan on putting an OL on a LB to open running lanes. 3-4 DL are supposed to force double teams, ours pretty much never do.

Popps
10-27-2010, 02:43 PM
The lines have to improve. No question about that. But, we have revamped both lines via the draft and FA. We've basically got one starter left from the Shanny era. It's not as if we're sitting on our hands.

I think the criticism is that we didn't use draft picks on the DL, instead.. opting for FA pick-ups.

But, who's to say that the draft would have yielded better results than FA? With hindsight, you can say anything.

In fact, we did very well in the secondary via free agency.

So, I do think we need to sty aggressive in the front seven department. But, it's unfair to pretend we haven't tried to make improvements.

Popps
10-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Ayers was looking very good early this season. DJ has been a very good player all year as well as last year. Doom was the best pass rusher in the NFL last season.

We could probably use an upgrade at ILB but you're talking about a two down player there. Haggan might be that guy if he had some help from the line. Joe Mays might be that guy under those same conditions too. No matter what we aren't going to invest real draft value in a two down guy (at least I really hope not).

Its again, as always, all about our DL. We've got some veteran patches and some younger guys who look like solid role players but we do not have a single tough match-up in the group. Makes it far too easy for defense to gameplan on putting an OL on a LB to open running lanes. 3-4 DL are supposed to force double teams, ours pretty much never do.

Excellent, as always.

I really thought Williams would have more impact.

_Oro_
10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
If only we could have drafted Alualu.

TheReverend
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Bannan is the best D-lineman we have

Exactly.

Popps
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
The other disappointment has been Thomas. He's had plenty of time to develop. He's another guy I thought might really turn into a contributor.

Dempsey Dog
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
McD tried to go the Patriot route with the front 7 and get just guys that are cheap on the FA market. The problem is that Bellichick had Crennell and himself who could coach the hell out of 'em. We got the bargain shelf guys but lack the quality coach and scheme to make them better than they actually are. Then there's the draft. We need Richard Seymour, McGinnest, or Ty Warren-like talent.

I would suggest that if anything, the d-line/ LB is what has made the Pats consistently good over the years. Sure, some luck like getting Brady as a late round pick does not hurt, but this is where they invest their high picks, do not miss, and get the best return on the investment. It is where we should have been focusing the last few years.

Ty Warren - 13th in the 1st RD
Richard Seymour- 6th in the 1st RD
Willie McGinist- 4th in the 1st RD
Vince Wilfork- 21st in 1st RD
Jarod Mayo- 10th in the 1st RD

loborugger
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I would suggest that if anything, the d-line/ LB is what has made the Pats consistently good over the years. Sure, some luck like getting Brady as a late round pick does not hurt, but this is where they invest their high picks, do not miss, and get the best return on the investment. It is where we should have been focusing the last few years.

This.

TheReverend
10-27-2010, 03:09 PM
The other disappointment has been Thomas. He's had plenty of time to develop. He's another guy I thought might really turn into a contributor.

????

He's been pretty damn great this season and was one of 3 or 4 players that showed up last Sunday.

fontaine
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
????

He's been pretty damn great this season and was one of 3 or 4 players that showed up last Sunday.

No kidding. He started off the season behind Williams and showed enough to warrent more playing time and hasn't looked back.

Right now Thomas is the lone young developing DL we have.

Popps
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
????

He's improved, but he still seems to be taking himself out of plays on a somewhat regular basis. I wouldn't call him great, but you're probably right in that he's not the major problem. I just thought he might make a jump to a dominant level this season. Clearly, no one up front is dominating for us.

Haggan playing outside is probably the biggest problem we've got right now, aside from missing our only two pass-rush threats.

I actually like Hunter as a reserve player. I think he's been a solid pick-up. But, he's no every-down starter.

Requiem
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
A healthy Dumervil and Ayers will definitely help our team moving forward. Williams has been solid on the inside as well, and I do believe we could use another upgrade at ILB besides him. I'd even invest another pick in an OLB as well, just for the sake of doing so. As you can see, we're short-handed right now and that will always be a possibility when you take into consideration injuries.

The front three absolutely needs to be upgraded. Thank God, this draft is absolutely fantastic for what we need up front.

Clayborn, Bailey, Heyward and Jordan are all first-round picks in my eyes for 3-4 fronts. There is absolutely no reason we don't land one of them.

Then you have players like Von Miller at OLB and Romeus (would make the transition) who can rush the passer on the outside.

Powe would be a solid option at NT.

Those are just first-round guys I'm listing. There are definitely more.

I am hoping this is the year we do that, because even though these guys are talented players, I'm not sure they are going to make huge immediate impacts right away because of the translation from college to pro.

Lets make it happen.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Good point, but they are also the proud owners of Ron "healthy scratch" Brace whom many on this board wanted. I remember lots of prayers here as well for the bags of suck that are Alan Branch, Justin Harrell and sackless master Aaron Maybin.

If there's going to be a quick fix on the d-line, it's going to have to come through free agency because so few rooks make an impact.

oubronco
10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Marcell Dareus would be great

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2010/09/06/dareusmarcellx-large.jpg

Mr. Elway
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM

Fully agree. Our LB core has some talent, though we could benefit from an Al Wilson type of talent/leader in the interior. But our front 3 is just role players - I don't see Jamal being more than that at this point in his career. We put some real impact players on the line and this LB core would look much better.

gunns
10-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Bless this thread. I've been saying it for years. I disagree though that McD went the Patriot route, he went the Shanahan route. Almost all offense in the draft and took a friggin WR :( with the first pick. And yes some more bargain shelf guys for the D. I'm sick of hearing "he's the best we've got there" or "we've got some talent there". That's not saying much.

No I don't think McD is worse than Shanahan as far as our front 7, he has a long way to go before that but if we are going to keep supplementing our D through free agency we need to spend and spend big for like a Patrick Willis (yes I know that's not front 7, it's an example) before he's on his last leg. And for God sake quit giving up 4th rounders for slugs like Maroney. What a desperation move.

WolfpackGuy
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Plenty of DL guys have gone by on the last two draft days that the Broncos could've used.

To say they wouldn't have made SOME impact on the Denver defense is crazy talk.

Some of you guys talk like the defense was/is loaded up front.

Mediator12
10-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Thomas is NOT a 2 gap style DL. Way too selfish and not a team player mentality. Kids got skills, but that and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonalds in this league ;D

The 3-4 DL have to be unselfish, team type players in order to let the LB's make the plays. We have about 1-2 of those on the roster. I have been saying this team will NOT go anywhere until they get a Real DL since 2004. Guess what, they are still not going anywhere until they get a real DL.....

Drek
10-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Thomas is NOT a 2 gap style DL. Way too selfish and not a team player mentality. Kids got skills, but that and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonalds in this league ;D

The 3-4 DL have to be unselfish, team type players in order to let the LB's make the plays. We have about 1-2 of those on the roster. I have been saying this team will NOT go anywhere until they get a Real DL since 2004. Guess what, they are still not going anywhere until they get a real DL.....

And this is why when everyone screams "ED REEEEEED!" around here and now "EARL THOMAS!!!" I always respond with "HALOTI NGATA!"

I still can't believe that after Plummer took us to an AFCC we traded up to draft Cutler, completely passing on such an elite DL prospect who could be had for a song since so many teams burnt themselves in the '03 class. Shanahan said he wanted Tommie Harris in '04 but then apparently the desire for a new QB toy made him go completely soft on his previous belief that we needed DL help.

I said during that off-season that the best move for us was to grab David Garrard (entering free agency that year though he resigned with J-ville) and draft Ngata. If we'd done that it would be interesting to see where this team would be now.

Rohirrim
10-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Getting at least one player on that Dline (like a Ngata) who gives opposing offensive coaches nightmares is definitely the highest priority. It's been a long time since the Broncos have had one of those. And we all know the presence of such a player would improve the LB corps (and secondary) overnight. The tough job is finding the right one. A lot of them look great in college. I was very high on Dan Williams last year. Now, he's trying to eat his way out of Arizona. 3/4 NT and/or DE are two of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL.

Mediator12
10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Good point, but they are also the proud owners of Ron "healthy scratch" Brace whom many on this board wanted. I remember lots of prayers here as well for the bags of suck that are Alan Branch, Justin Harrell and sackless master Aaron Maybin.

If there's going to be a quick fix on the d-line, it's going to have to come through free agency because so few rooks make an impact.

The draft is a difficult task for any team, but it is made simpler by KNOWING what type of DL you are looking for. That is the one reason DEN has not drafted but one starter on their entire defense. Shanahan played defensive hot potato and now is trying to force the 3-4 in WAS with very mixed results. McDaniels on the other hand has kept the scheme intact, but not brought in one difference maker in the front seven in 2 years. Yes, that includes Ayers to this point who has just been a potential player.

As for the players you mentioned earlier, I never liked the mental makeups of any of those guys coming out. I would have rather had an Alex Magee, Terrance Knighton, or Red Bryant style later round pick than those mental midgets.

Drek
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
The draft is a difficult task for any team, but it is made simpler by KNOWING what type of DL you are looking for. That is the one reason DEN has not drafted but one starter on their entire defense. Shanahan played defensive hot potato and now is trying to force the 3-4 in WAS with very mixed results. McDaniels on the other hand has kept the scheme intact, but not brought in one difference maker in the front seven in 2 years. Yes, that includes Ayers to this point who has just been a potential player.

As for the players you mentioned earlier, I never liked the mental makeups of any of those guys coming out. I would have rather had an Alex Magee, Terrance Knighton, or Red Bryant style later round pick than those mental midgets.

Ayers was looking very good prior to his injury, especially in the running game. He's a very good pickup.

But I agree completely. You can't run the 3-4 if you don't get at least one difference maker on the line who is then teamed up with solid role players.

As it is now the two gap scheme doesn't work. Only Bannan and Williams can play two gap assignments with any effectiveness right now and Williams isn't an every down player. That means the offense can always literally plan for multiple OLs getting onto linebackers and opening holes into the secondary.

Its not real hard to run well when your lane takes you to the second level facing off against DBs nearly every down.

We need to get an impact DE out of this class in the first, use at least one of the seconds on the best 3-4 DE/NT available, and then burn as many of our later round picks as possible on developmental DLs.

bendog
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM
NE's front 7 has THREE first rd picks and TWO second rd picks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/ne/formation/3-4-defense

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
NE's front 7 has THREE first rd picks and TWO second rd picks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/ne/formation/3-4-defense

Gerrard Warren was also a 1st round pick by the Browns. So, they essentially have 4 1st rounders. (Warren, Warren, Wilfork, and Mayo)

fontaine
10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I didn't understand it back then and I still don't, but letting Andra Davis go was a mistake. The guy wasn't an every down player in pass coverage but when it came to bringing a physcial presense inside he routinely made plays against the run in the backfield.

TheReverend
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I didn't understand it back then and I still don't, but letting Andra Davis go was a mistake. The guy wasn't an every down player in pass coverage but when it came to bringing a physcial presense inside he routinely made plays against the run in the backfield.

And in traffic

cutthemdown
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Broncos need Wade Phillips to come coach the defense after he gets canned in Dallas.

cutthemdown
10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Wade can make a decent 3-4 from a can of old soup.

maher_tyler
10-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Our OLBs(when healthy) are fine, and DJ williams is good. Its our line that needs work, and I hope we get impact players in the draft on the line.

I think we should all give DJ more love than he gets around here...the best D line we've had in front of our LB's since he's been in Denver has been average at best, yet he still produces! Not to mention changing positions 3-4 different times...

TheChamp24
10-29-2010, 06:42 AM
If we don't take a DL in the 1st next year, unless some insane prospect is in our hands like Patrick Peterson, I'll blow a fuse.

I'm like hoping we can get one of the big DL in the draft next year. Mainly Dareus or Clayborn.
As for our LB's go, they are a solid group. DJ is solid, but the thing I think that makes him not exactly "wow" me is how he hasn't really been a difference maker. He does a great job, but he hardly ever causes a turnover or "big" play.

Rascal
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Jamal is not an every down player, and at this point in his career to expect him to play 50% of the snaps is asking for to much. He is best suited in a rotation. Fields on the other hand sucks.

Traveler
10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Broncos need Wade Phillips to come coach the defense after he gets canned in Dallas.

That would be 6 different DC in six years. Having siad that, hiring established offensive & defensive coordinators would definitely help IMO.

Just look at KC.

Traveler
10-29-2010, 08:12 AM
If we don't take a DL in the 1st next year, unless some insane prospect is in our hands like Patrick Peterson, I'll blow a fuse.

I'm like hoping we can get one of the big DL in the draft next year. Mainly Dareus or Clayborn.
As for our LB's go, they are a solid group. DJ is solid, but the thing I think that makes him not exactly "wow" me is how he hasn't really been a difference maker. He does a great job, but he hardly ever causes a turnover or "big" play.

If our subpar play continues, we should have a decent shot at drafting some of the top defensive lineman. Really hated writing that.

Rock Chalk
10-29-2010, 09:30 AM

About on par.

Or have you forgotten the likes of Gardner, Fatefahi, the Cleveland Browns.

PRBronco
10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
About on par.

Montrae Holland, Dorsett Davis, Monsanto Pope...

baja
10-29-2010, 09:59 AM

There were two second round pick DEs one never played a down was drafted with a knee injury that never healed.

CEH
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
About on par.

I can't fault Shanny for not trying with Gardner
He turned out to be a creep but I believe he was coming off of a Pro Bowl season for the Skins.

I'd jump for joy if McX signed a 29 year old Pro Bowl DLineman even if it didn't work out. Beats a short 1st round CB not working out

TheReverend
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM

How dare you forget allstars like Luther Ellis and Raylee johnson?

Rock Chalk
10-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't fault Shanny for not trying with Gardner
He turned out to be a creep but I believe he was coming off of a Pro Bowl season for the Skins.

I'd jump for joy if McX signed a 29 year old Pro Bowl DLineman even if it didn't work out. Beats a short 1st round CB not working out

Do you fault McD for trying with Jamaal Williams?

CEH
10-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Do you fault McD for trying with Jamaal Williams?

No but Williams is a stop gap at this point 34 years old coming off injury not a Pro Bowl season.

Give me Jamall Williams at 29 and it would secure the DLine for the next 3-4 years.

NFLBRONCO
10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
1st choice: DE
2nd choice: ILB
3rd choice: CB

BPA

fontaine
10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
About on par.

When Shanahan was still in his few couple of years in Denver he did far more with the front 7 than Josh has so far.

And Shanahan didn't have 10 draft picks in two years in the first three rounds either.

Rock Chalk
10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
When Shanahan was still in his few couple of years in Denver he did far more with the front 7 than Josh has so far.

And Shanahan didn't have 10 draft picks in two years in the first three rounds either.

True, but then Shanahan never had to start a season with two legitimate NFL starters on defense and have to build everything else from scratch because Shanahan's predecessor was at LEAST capapble of fielding NFL level talent.

Whereas Josh's predecessor left us nothing but Garbage.