PDA

View Full Version : Denver could have had a devastating ILB duo (McClain confirmed as a draft target)

SoCalBronco
10-22-2010, 09:44 PM
McDaniels lauds Rolando McClain

October, 22, 2010 Oct 228:15PM ETEmail Print Comments6

By Bill WilliamsonThe Denver Broncos will get their first look at Oakland rookie middle linebacker Rolando McClain on the field.

However, the Broncos are very familiar with McClain. The star from Alabama was on Denver’s list of prospects before the draft. The team met with McClain at the NFL Combine and brought McClain in for a pre-draft visit. Oakland took McClain at No. 8. Denver then wheeled and dealed and ended up with reciver Demaryius Thomas and quarterback Tim Tebow in the first round.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels was very complimentary of his experience with McClain on Friday.

“I did (like him). He wouldn’t have played the same position as (LB) D.J. (Williams) plays,” McDaniels told reporters in Denver. “He would have been a middle linebacker for us. But, I don’t know if I have ever interviewed a more intelligent defensive player at the combine or in person here in our building than Rolando McClain. He was off the charts, and he’s a guy that plays physical, he is big and he is a good player in the run game. They have kept him on the field every snap — he’s not coming off on third down and he is in there in the dime. You can tell how much he is communicating and for a rookie to be able to do that his first year against all the different looks he is seeing and all the different packages, I think what he showed us has really transferred over and he’s using it now for them. We liked him a lot. It was definitely part of the consideration as a guy that you would have to look at to take that high, and he is definitely going to be an impact player for them for a long time. So, he was definitely part of our (draft) consideration.”

In other AFC West news and notes:

Kansas City coach Todd Haley told reporters in Kansas City that defensive end Tyson Jackson was healthy enough to play last week in Houston but he didn’t because of a coach’s decision. He injured his knee in Week 1 and hasn’t played since. Clearly, Jackson didn’t practice well enough for the team since regaining his health. It will be interesting to see if the No. 3 overall pick in 2009 plays Sunday against Jacksonville. Haley likes to push player's buttons and this seems like a prime example of that.
The Chiefs won’t know which Jacksonville quarterback they will face -- Trent Edwards or Todd Bouman -- until Sunday.
The Kansas City Star has an interesting story on the childhood medical hurdles Chiefs’ rookie cornerback/returner Javier Arenas has had to deal with.
Mel Kiper is a fan of several players on practice squads, including San Diego linebacker Nate Triplett.
Kansas City rookie safety Kendrick Lewis is questionable to play Sunday against Jacksonville with a hamstring injury.
The depleted Chargers’ receiver crew may get some help for Sunday’s game against New England.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/19079/mcdaniels-lauds-rolando-mcclain

That would have been a great set of ILB's with DJ at Jack (WILB) and Rolando at Mike (SILB). I don't want to belabor the Alphonso thing again but that burned extra first rounder really kind of hurts now (although I am pleased with the two guys we ended up with in that round).Still, that would have been a huge upgrade over Haggan.

wolf754life
10-22-2010, 09:54 PM
don't blame mcdaniels for this, he was off the board..................

shanny passed on ed reed, he WAS available

alphonso smith was GOD awful no doubt, but cmon man, either your on the wagon or off.............

Bob's your Information Minister
10-22-2010, 09:57 PM
DJ Williams and McClain have had a huge impact on their respective defenses this year, what with the Broncos and Raiders BOTH ranking in the top 28 in defense.

SoCalBronco
10-22-2010, 09:59 PM
DJ Williams and McClain have had a huge impact on their respective defenses this year, what with the Broncos and Raiders BOTH ranking in the top 28 in defense.

They're both having terrific years, Bob. That's not in dispute. That the defenses on the whole aren't mirroring that isn't their fault. An individual can only do his job. Actually, on the whole, I think our defense is doing pretty well if you take into account the injuries.

10-22-2010, 10:11 PM
That's great, man.

Carmelo15
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
McClain is good. But would you trade Demaryius Thomas straight up for him? I know i wouldn't. Not to mention the difference in salary and the extra picks we got from moving down from 11 to 22. You're talking about throwin in Eric Decker n half Tebow when you consider that factor.

hookemhess
10-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I wanted McClain with our #1 this year. But DT was my #1 WR going into the draft and I think the kid has HUGE potential (like Andre/Megatron potential).

Still not over passing on Orakpo for Knowshon though-- especially with LeSean McCoy having been available until #53.

SoCalBronco
10-22-2010, 11:09 PM
McClain is good. But would you trade Demaryius Thomas straight up for him? I know i wouldn't. Not to mention the difference in salary and the extra picks we got from moving down from 11 to 22. You're talking about throwin in Eric Decker n half Tebow when you consider that factor.

No, I wouldn't trade Bay Bay...as I said, I was happy with the two picks we made.

gunns
10-22-2010, 11:11 PM

I'd trade him in a second for McClain even considering everything else. WR's are a dime a dozen, a good defensive player is a prize.

Florida_Bronco
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I'd trade him in a second for McClain even considering everything else. WR's are a dime a dozen, a good defensive player is a prize.

That doesn't really make sense considering that linebackers are typically not a high value position.

tsiguy96
10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
thomas has a top 3 WR potential. mcclain does not. i wouldnt even consider making that trade.

The MVPlaya
10-22-2010, 11:50 PM

I bet you can name more great linebackers than you can WR's.

Br0nc0Buster
10-22-2010, 11:51 PM
are you people freaking nuts?
McClain is not that good
I am so glad Denver did not waste a pick on him

I never understood the McClain hype, guy is nothing special from an athletic standpoint but happened to play for Bama and people go nuts over him

Br0nc0Buster
10-22-2010, 11:54 PM

this is just absolute silliness
Thomas is twice the athlete McClain is
I actually agree that receivers can be a bit overrated, but cmon man (of girl), to suggest that an elite talent at WR is less valuable than a marginal talent at ILB is just silly

snowspot66
10-23-2010, 12:39 AM
are you people freaking nuts?
McClain is not that good
I am so glad Denver did not waste a pick on him

I never understood the McClain hype, guy is nothing special from an athletic standpoint but happened to play for Bama and people go nuts over him

How is McClain doing this year anyway? I haven't payed attention.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-23-2010, 12:50 AM
He's meh.

d bronx42
10-23-2010, 02:57 AM
LOL @ the people in here who think McClain is actually doing good so far this season... Go look at some Raiders forums, and then you will see they are not that impressed with him at all.

Racking up tackles doesnt mean a thing. Jamie Winborn could get tackles...

Mogulseeker
10-23-2010, 03:27 AM
They're both having terrific years, Bob. That's not in dispute. That the defenses on the whole aren't mirroring that isn't their fault. An individual can only do his job. Actually, on the whole, I think our defense is doing pretty well if you take into account the injuries.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mZAtpFXmQE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mZAtpFXmQE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dagmar
10-23-2010, 04:25 AM
I was under the impression from the few Raiders fans I associate with that he had had been very quietly effective, but no more so that Mario Haggan? In fact their stats are near identical.

Drek
10-23-2010, 06:05 AM
I was under the impression from the few Raiders fans I associate with that he had had been very quietly effective, but no more so that Mario Haggan? In fact their stats are near identical.

He's been ok, but I'd say he's currently a downgrade from what they were getting out of Morrison.

Its just another baffling move on Al Davis' part. He let a very good MLB in Morrison go only to use a top 10 pick on a prospect who is clearly a better fit in a 3-4. McClain is not a sideline to sideline dynamic 4-3 MLB. He's a 3-4 gap filling power type.

I know McDaniels said that McClain was part of their "consideration" but even if he'd fallen to us at #11 I think we still move down. McDaniels was very quick and decisive with this year's draft, he had his targets in mind and did what he needed to get them at the places where they offered optimal value. After the draft you could just see in the way he talked about the selections that he got nearly everything he wanted (with the exception of a running back).

tsiguy96
10-23-2010, 06:51 AM
remember the "raiders had the best draft class" stuff after the draft?

every single year people say the raiders are coming back and denver is moving down, and it never happens.

10-23-2010, 06:58 AM
every single year people say the raiders are coming back and denver is moving down, and it never happens.

Yeah, you both have sucked for awhile now.

Admittedly, different levels of suck. But suck nonetheless.

Ray Finkle
10-23-2010, 07:00 AM

says the man whose team has one playoff win in what, the last 2 decades?

tsiguy96
10-23-2010, 07:00 AM

you do understand teh history of the chiefs right? the discussion has been and still is do they finish 3rd or 4th in AFCW

10-23-2010, 07:02 AM
says the man whose team has one playoff win in what, the last 2 decades?

The Chiefs have been to the playoffs more recently than the Raiders or the Broncos.

And they will return this year.

baja
10-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Bob, help me out here. where's the pleasure in saying a team you profess to not like sucks 23,333 times. What need does this fill for you?

Miss I.
10-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Hey I remember the Chiefs playing the Colts in the playoffs...yeah, umm...score was what 23 - 8.

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=2722685"/></object>

In that game, the esteemed LJ has 13 carries for 32 yards. Yes, truly a playoff accomplishment to be proud of. At least in 2004 when the Chiefs were up against the Colts under Vermeil it was a game. The last actual win by the Chiefs in the playoffs was 1994 against Houston. So, what if they've been there more recently? So have the Chargers and they haven't brought home a ring for all the playoffs they've made.

TonyR
10-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Still not over passing on Orakpo for Knowshon though-- especially with LeSean McCoy having been available until #53.

I'd have to agree in hindsight, although I don't know that McCoy's running style fits what we want to do.

Drek
10-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I wanted McClain with our #1 this year. But DT was my #1 WR going into the draft and I think the kid has HUGE potential (like Andre/Megatron potential).

Orakpo is a pass rusher who can't cover and is only ok in run support (especially when you stand him up). He fits in the same role as Doom, who we already had. We needed a SOLB who could help create pressure but could most importantly crush the run and not be a liability in pass pro. That is why we've got Ayers.

I'd take Ayers over Orakpo for our needs any day of the week.

Mediator12
10-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Really? What does that have to do witht he price of tea in China?

How about that chiefs Defense, you know the one that was so dominant? Oh yeah, they gave up 421 yards and 35 points to HOU last week. And All-pro DB Brandon Flowers gave up as many pasing yards in one game as he did the first 4 games? And, they have lost 2 games in a row versus real teams.

How is that defense doing right now?

I'll tell you. They are behind DEN in total yards ;D So, as usual for your trolling efforts, EPIC FAIL!

Tombstone RJ
10-23-2010, 08:40 AM
He's meh.

This. I preferred Spikes and looking at how he's doing with the Pats, I'd say he's the better LBer...

broncosteven
10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
The Chiefs have been to the playoffs more recently than the Raiders or the Broncos.

Did they get a First down in that trip to the playoffs?

LOL

CEH
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM

How's that $31MM DE working out for you. To go with your $63 MM QB

Funny both KC and Den were 9-7 in KC's playoff year. Only we had to play a 1st place schedule.

126 yards total offense against Indy without a 1st half first down.
That playoff berth was a turning point for the team as they reverted back to their crappy ways to secure their place t in the basement of the AFCW the next two years. By week 10 KC will be looking up at the AFCW as usual

gunns
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
That doesn't really make sense considering that linebackers are typically not a high value position.

They just aren't hyped as much as the defense is never hyped as much as the offense. And there are few WR's that are going to get your team to a SB and a SB win. Look at the top WR's right now, Wayne, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Boldin. Nope, they aren't going to get any team a SB win as "the marquee" player. The only notable exception, Jerry Rice.

Look at the drafts for the past 4 years, the LB's taken, and the WR's taken. Tell me which are more dominant in their position and for their team. The WR position is more reliant on the QB that is getting the ball to them. Do you honestly think Sharpe was of more value than Ray Lewis for Baltimore? No, I stand by what I said and give me a good LB over a good WR ANYDAY.

gunns
10-23-2010, 11:14 AM

How sad this is all you have to brag about with the Chiefs.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Eat hog, fatboy.

Br0nc0Buster
10-23-2010, 11:54 AM
They just aren't hyped as much as the defense is never hyped as much as the offense. And there are few WR's that are going to get your team to a SB and a SB win. Look at the top WR's right now, Wayne, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Boldin. Nope, they aren't going to get any team a SB win as "the marquee" player. The only notable exception, Jerry Rice.

Look at the drafts for the past 4 years, the LB's taken, and the WR's taken. Tell me which are more dominant in their position and for their team. The WR position is more reliant on the QB that is getting the ball to them. Do you honestly think Sharpe was of more value than Ray Lewis for Baltimore? No, I stand by what I said and give me a good LB over a good WR ANYDAY.

except McClain isnt good
and what is your point about the draft?
Wr's get drafted in the first round a hell of a lot more than ILBs; and what "dominant" SILBs are you referring to?

sixtimeseight
10-23-2010, 01:52 PM
It's cute when gunns pretends to understand the game of football.

10-23-2010, 02:23 PM
How's that $31MM DE working out for you. To go with your $63 MM QB

Real good.

It's called first place.

:sunshine:

10-23-2010, 02:25 PM
How is that defense doing right now?

I'll tell you. They are behind DEN in total yards ;D

Call me when that means something.

24champ
10-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Remind me, which of the three teams won a playoff game most recently?

By the way, its hilarious you can cling on to a playoff appearance that the Chiefs didn't earn and instead backed in the playoffs on account of several NFL teams. Poor poor Chefs...

10-23-2010, 03:16 PM
It really doesn't matter what you say.

http://s7.tinypic.com/169j28k_th.jpg

broncocalijohn
10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Nice to see Boob and Sixminuseight posting at the same time. Just ignore messages galore! Why you guys even responding to Boob and his childish remarks. He is such an easy target almost like he wants to be abused. If it isnt by his bondage boyfriend, it is the Maners to fill in. Kid was abused as a youngster.

Ugly Duck
10-23-2010, 05:35 PM
These guys rate the rookie performances every week. They usually have Rolando McClain in the top ten somewhere. KC has had 2 top ten rookie performances, Denver has had 1, SD zero and Oakland 10. Here's their AFCW rookie representatives in the top ten:

Week 1
2. Oakland MLB Rolando McClain ....Itís not cool to praise Oakland and its drafting, but then being cool is a state of mind, right? McClain didnít have eye-popping numbers (4 defensive stops) but he was part of an Oakland team that contained Chris Johnson for the most part. Doesnít look like a rookie out on the field

Week 2
1. Oakland DE Lamarr Houston .... After a solid start in Week 1 Houston jumped to the top of the class with a 7 pressure day and some excellent work in run defense. He wonít face Jason Smith every week, but itís rare we see any talent put in that kind of performance. Itíll be interesting to see how the second-round pick looks this week with another favorable matchup against Arizona RT Brandon Keith.

10. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain.... McClain does some things very well. Like run defense. His 9 defensive stops are in the top 10 of all inside linebackers. But he does some things poorly, and he needs to work on dropping into coverage if he wants to be an every down linebacker.

Week 3
2. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain .... After struggling in his home debut, McClain continued his road-warrior ways with an excellent performance in Arizona. Looks built to stop the run.

3. Oakland DE Lamarr Houston ....After his breakout Week 2, this week was more of a breakdown. He couldnít get anything going against a weak Cardinals line.

10. Kansas City CB/KR/PR Javier Arenas .... While Arenas has performed commendably as the Chiefsí nickel back, itís his kick- and punt-return ability that has got him this spot. Currently our top-ranked returner and a threat whenever he touches the ball

Week 4
4. Lamarr Houston, DE, Oakland .... Itís beginning to look like that breakout game in Week 2 was more the exception than the rule even after a solid Week 4. Still, three more quarterback pressures keep him relevant.

7. Perrish Cox, CB, Denver .... Proved his strong first start showing against the Colts was no fluke with a useful game against the Titans. Already has five pass breaks up and one interception on the year.

9. Rolando McClain, ILB, Oakland ... Seems to be a case of one good week, one bad week for McClain. Just two tackles against Houston in a game where he was largely invisible. Needs to be more consistent.

Week 5
3. Raiders DE Lamarr Houston ... Four quarterback pressures in Week 5 and seems to be leveling out as one of the surprise rookie success stories at defensive end.

7. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain ... After a series of up-and down-displays, McClain was solid against the Chargers. So far heís missed just one tackle this season.

Week 6
3. Lamarr Houston, DE, Oakland ... Still playing at a high level and already has 21 quarterback pressures on the year after his five-pressure display against the 49ers.

8. Tony Moeaki, TE, Kansas City ... One of the best things about Moeaki was watching him drive a defender 10 yards down the field while run blocking. Looks a complete tight end, catching 75 percent of balls thrown his way and dropping just one pass

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/22/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-no-clashing-with-this-titan/

10-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Moeaki is a stud.

Already ahead of where Gonzalez was as a rookie.

Tombstone RJ
10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
These guys rate the rookie performances every week. They usually have Rolando McClain in the top ten somewhere. KC has had 2 top ten rookie performances, Denver has had 1, SD zero and Oakland 10. Here's their AFCW rookie representatives in the top ten:

Week 1
2. Oakland MLB Rolando McClain ....Itís not cool to praise Oakland and its drafting, but then being cool is a state of mind, right? McClain didnít have eye-popping numbers (4 defensive stops) but he was part of an Oakland team that contained Chris Johnson for the most part. Doesnít look like a rookie out on the field

Week 2
1. Oakland DE Lamarr Houston .... After a solid start in Week 1 Houston jumped to the top of the class with a 7 pressure day and some excellent work in run defense. He wonít face Jason Smith every week, but itís rare we see any talent put in that kind of performance. Itíll be interesting to see how the second-round pick looks this week with another favorable matchup against Arizona RT Brandon Keith.

10. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain.... McClain does some things very well. Like run defense. His 9 defensive stops are in the top 10 of all inside linebackers. But he does some things poorly, and he needs to work on dropping into coverage if he wants to be an every down linebacker.

Week 3
2. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain .... After struggling in his home debut, McClain continued his road-warrior ways with an excellent performance in Arizona. Looks built to stop the run.

3. Oakland DE Lamarr Houston ....After his breakout Week 2, this week was more of a breakdown. He couldnít get anything going against a weak Cardinals line.

10. Kansas City CB/KR/PR Javier Arenas .... While Arenas has performed commendably as the Chiefsí nickel back, itís his kick- and punt-return ability that has got him this spot. Currently our top-ranked returner and a threat whenever he touches the ball

Week 4
4. Lamarr Houston, DE, Oakland .... Itís beginning to look like that breakout game in Week 2 was more the exception than the rule even after a solid Week 4. Still, three more quarterback pressures keep him relevant.

7. Perrish Cox, CB, Denver .... Proved his strong first start showing against the Colts was no fluke with a useful game against the Titans. Already has five pass breaks up and one interception on the year.

9. Rolando McClain, ILB, Oakland ... Seems to be a case of one good week, one bad week for McClain. Just two tackles against Houston in a game where he was largely invisible. Needs to be more consistent.

Week 5
3. Raiders DE Lamarr Houston ... Four quarterback pressures in Week 5 and seems to be leveling out as one of the surprise rookie success stories at defensive end.

7. Oakland ILB Rolando McClain ... After a series of up-and down-displays, McClain was solid against the Chargers. So far heís missed just one tackle this season.

Week 6
3. Lamarr Houston, DE, Oakland ... Still playing at a high level and already has 21 quarterback pressures on the year after his five-pressure display against the 49ers.

8. Tony Moeaki, TE, Kansas City ... One of the best things about Moeaki was watching him drive a defender 10 yards down the field while run blocking. Looks a complete tight end, catching 75 percent of balls thrown his way and dropping just one pass

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/22/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-no-clashing-with-this-titan/

Hilarious!

that's funny, thanks

Ray Finkle
10-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Broncos had a playoff win in 2005, Chiefs had a playoff APPEARANCE in 2006...which one is better?

Mediator12
10-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Call me when that means something.

No thanks. It already means something. It means you still have no clue about football or talking smack about football.

Nothing like calling out a teams unit and having yours be just as bad or worse. That is the definition of a misinformed troll. I'll just let you get back to being irrelevant and wrong. It is awful fun to watch ;D

gunns
10-24-2010, 06:38 AM
It's cute when gunns pretends to understand the game of football.

We wouldn't know if you do as you only post to put someone down or brag about how much money you allegedly bet. See if mom's insurance will pay for some help with that inferiority complex. Do you live with Bob?

Dedhed
10-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Might as well write an article on the premise that you could have a great team if you had a crystal draft ball.

I wouldn't trade Thomas or Tebow for McClain straight up. Nor do I think he'll be worthy of a top 10 pick when it's all said and done.

This article seems to suggest that McCLain is a certified stud already, and I don't think that's the case at all.

Cito Pelon
10-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Denver had a good chance to build the D in the draft this year, but they also had to address the OL fairly heavily after letting Hamilton and Weigman go, and not having much behind those two for depth.

It was unfortunate they didn't have much in the bank OL-wise, but that was what the previous regime left the team along with a D that needed a total rebuild.

The 2010 draft picks they made look pretty good, though, both O and D. Looks like they got some gems late with Squid, Cox, and Vaughn.

10-24-2010, 08:19 AM
No thanks. It already means something. It means you still have no clue about football or talking smack about football.

Nothing like calling out a teams unit and having yours be just as bad or worse. That is the definition of a misinformed troll. I'll just let you get back to being irrelevant and wrong. It is awful fun to watch ;D

Did you even watch the Colts game?

KC's defense and Denver's defense are not in the same league. Not even close.

The Chiefs aren't a top 10 defense or anything...although statistically they are....but they are above average.

Steve Sewell
10-24-2010, 08:36 AM

You're a retard, Clayton.

Rock Chalk
10-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Who's more retarded? Bob or the retard that responds to him?

Just saying.

10-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Facts are facts.

Weep over them. I'm thirsty.

Steve Sewell
10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Who's more retarded? Bob or the retard that responds to him?

Just saying.

Jayhawks fans. Just sayin

Rock Chalk
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Jayhawks fans. Just sayin

Yes yes, we are an embarrassment in football.

Luckily for me basketball season is 3 weeks away :)