PDA

View Full Version : Colts place Dallas Clark on IR for wrist

The MVPlaya
10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5714509

INDIANAPOLIS -- The number of go-to targets for Peyton Manning is shrinking.

Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark was put on injured reserve Friday and will have season-ending wrist surgery. Clark said he met with three surgeons before the decision and plans to return next year for a ninth season.

"It's unfortunate, but it's been confirmed that surgery is necessary to repair the injury to my wrist," Clark said in a statement released by the team. "I look forward to supporting my teammates the rest of this season and rehabilitating my wrist back to full strength for next season."

Clark ranks third on the team with 37 catches for 347 yards after catching 100 passes for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, when he made the All-Pro team.

The Colts did not say how or when Clark was hurt, but he appeared to grab at his left wrist during a play in the Oct. 17 win at Washington.

The Colts don't have much depth behind Clark. There are three other tight ends on the roster, including rookie Brody Eldridge (three catches, 23 yards). The others, Jacob Tamme and Justin Snow, play mostly on special teams. The Colts, who do not play until Nov. 1 at home against Houston, did re-sign tight end Gijon Robinson on Wednesday.

Just a few weeks ago, the Colts had a full arsenal at receiver and tight end. Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon are still available, but now Clark is gone and Austin Collie had thumb surgery this week; the date of his return is uncertain. Receiver Anthony Gonzalez has also been recovering from a high ankle sprain.

The 31-year-old Clark and Manning have developed into one of the most prolific quarterback-tight end combinations in NFL history. Earlier this season, the two connected on their 44th touchdown pass, second only to Drew Bledsoe and Ben Coates (45).

Clark, the 24th overall pick out of Iowa in 2003, signed a six-year, $41.8 million contract in 2008 and has been worth every penny to the Colts. He's fast enough to burn defenses daring to cover him with a linebacker -- he's had two 80-yard TD catches in his career -- agile enough to make circus catches and shifty enough to fake out the secondary.

The past two seasons, he had 177 receptions, produced the first 1,000-yard season of his career and also made the Pro Bowl after becoming the second tight end to haul in 100 catches in a season.

The MVPlaya
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Not to mention Collie just got surgery on his thumb..

broncofan2438
10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow, this couldnt have happened before we played them uh?
Just kidding(not really)

GoHAM
10-22-2010, 08:11 PM
There goes my starting TE for fantasy.

STBumpkin
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
There goes my starting TE for fantasy.

Me too, though I have Tony G for flex work and picked up Witten (not as good as previous seasons) when I saw this.

Sassy
10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Collie did...didn't know that! How long is he out?

SouthStndJunkie
10-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Peyton Manning will keep producing and finding guys to throw the rock to.

UDFA rookie Blair White from Michigan State will be next guy Peyton Manning puts on the map.

spdirty
10-22-2010, 09:01 PM
The first year I decide not to have TE a gaping hole on my FF team and make it a priority to get an elite TE and this happens. Unreal. :(

Archer81
10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
See what happens when you jerk it too much? You go on IR.

Sucks for Clark. When we are not playing the Colts he is one of my favorite players. Eventually the Colts wont be able to match the production from all these hurt guys with scrubs.

:Broncos:

KipCorrington25
10-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I lost zero sleep on this one...

Mediator12
10-23-2010, 08:23 AM
The colts are really banged up this year, that is one of the reasons they have been so inconsistent.

However, With Clark and Collie out, both Garcon and Gonzalez are back. Plus, INDY does have an option to replace Clark with Jacob Tamme. He played a lot in the preseason as Clark missed a bunch of time with an ankle injury. Tamme is a clark Clone and he will be productive replacing him. What will happen though is the WR's will get more Posse, or 11 looks in the offense. Brody Eldridge will also get more PT and will help in the running game.

The big difference will be that teams may not play as much dime coverage on INDY initially against their hurry up offense. They may resort to stopping the running game again. It does not matter though, Peyton will simply get into the right plays as usual and other people will get Clark's production. No team replaces skill players like INDY does. Heck they are routinely the most injured team in the league. That is why they benched their starters last year to get to a SB run. In the last few previous Playoffs, they lost Freeney one year Mathis another and struggled in the playoffs.

broncolife
10-23-2010, 11:55 AM
See what happens when you jerk it too much? You go on IR.

Sucks for Clark. When we are not playing the Colts he is one of my favorite players. Eventually the Colts wont be able to match the production from all these hurt guys with scrubs.

:Broncos:

I think they should fire the trainer for not teaching proper wrist stretching techniques before he spanked the monkey.

boltaneer
10-23-2010, 12:35 PM
The colts are really banged up this year, that is one of the reasons they have been so inconsistent.

However, With Clark and Collie out, both Garcon and Gonzalez are back. Plus, INDY does have an option to replace Clark with Jacob Tamme. He played a lot in the preseason as Clark missed a bunch of time with an ankle injury. Tamme is a clark Clone and he will be productive replacing him. What will happen though is the WR's will get more Posse, or 11 looks in the offense. Brody Eldridge will also get more PT and will help in the running game.

Someone will sneeze on Gonzalez this week and he'll be out for six more weeks.

strafen
10-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Peyton Manning will keep producing and finding guys to throw the rock to.

UDFA rookie Blair White from Michigan State will be next guy Peyton Manning puts on the map.That sucks Clark is out. He's a great player.
You can't just replace a guy like that...

Doggcow
10-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Colts lose addai, collie, clark... ffs, why couldnt we play them now?

Mediator12
10-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Colts lose addai, collie, clark... ffs, why couldnt we play them now?

Well, they are on a bye week!

Mediator12
10-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Someone will sneeze on Gonzalez this week and he'll be out for six more weeks.

Actually, no one has ever hurt him. He seems to just hurt himself!

However, INDY is really loaded with Receiving talent. Talent that has had a good number of reps and will get more on the bye week.