A read that we can all enjoy.

Los Broncos
10-22-2010, 09:27 AM

OBF1
10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I love me some Demaryius Thomas

Popps
10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Have a feeling he could be very involved in the game plan this Sunday.

tsiguy96
10-22-2010, 09:56 AM
he reminds me of calvin johnson, if anyone saw CJs 80 some yard TD this weekend, it was dirty. outjumped 2 guys (you think they would learn to not try and outjump CJ?) and walked it in 50 yards.

CEH
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
DT has flashed from the moment he took a screen pass and turned it into a 1st down. Size and speed. Still causing issues not knowing the playbook I saw a couple times on Sunday where Orton had to line him up but I'm glad his injury didn't hamper his ability to get on the field this year and he needed this rookie year to get his feet wet with the looming lockout pretty much a formatlity at this point

I thought Josh may have followed BB and Parcells drafting philoshy of big bodies first then speciality players. I sure hope that's the case this year.
To each his own but I hope for more lineman with the top picks this year

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 10:26 AM
DT has flashed from the moment he took a screen pass and turned it into a 1st down. Size and speed. Still causing issues not knowing the playbook I saw a couple times on Sunday where Orton had to line him up but I'm glad his injury didn't hamper his ability to get on the field this year and he needed this rookie year to get his feet wet with the looming lockout pretty much a formatlity at this point

I thought Josh may have followed BB and Parcells drafting philoshy of big bodies first then speciality players. I sure hope that's the case this year.
To each his own but I hope for more lineman with the top picks this year

true but you draft talent....not for need

The Joker
10-22-2010, 10:27 AM
If he stays healthy he's going to be a good player for us, I've seen enough of him already to be pretty confident about that. He certainly has the physical traits to be one the elite WR's in the NFL, but there's still quite a way for him to go before that becomes a reality.

At the very least he looks like he'll be a quality deep threat receiver who has the size and speed to command serious attention whenever he goes deep. In our offense, that's very important to have.

And if he develops into the next Andre Johnson, well that's just gravy.

I'm hoping over the rest of the season he can work his way into the starting line-up ahead of Gaffney. DT and Lloyd on the outsides with Royal in the slot sounds like all sorts of victory to me.

I know it's a bit harsh on Gaffney, who has been good this year, but he doesn't scare a defense like Thomas or Lloyd would. And he'd actually be a great guy to have in that #4 WR spot, because he knows the offense inside-out and McDaniels has said before he can play any of the 3 starting spots in the offense and be equally comfortable in each, which I don't think is true of DT.

Be nice if when any of our three main receivers needed a play or two off, we had a dependable guy like Gaffney to plug in there for them. I'll be interested to see if Gaffney moves to the slot this Sunday if Royal can't go.

The WR situation on this team absolutely owns, quite frankly.

Mediator12
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Thomas is every bit the player Dez Bryant was coming out of College, but faster. Dez just had a better QB situation and a lot of negative publicity on his off field efforts.

The Kid has all kinds of elite tools, I just hope he continues to improve the mental side. He is an outstanding WR, he just needs to keep getting better mentally.

mr007
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
The WR situation on this team absolutely owns, quite frankly.

That is the crazy thing.... I thought for sure there would be a serious drop-off with BM going away but it simply hasn't been the case - and yes it rocks.

Beantown Bronco
10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
From another article in today's post:

McDaniels said rookie receiver Demaryius Thomas (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/demaryius-thomas/) could once again be an option to return kickoffs. Thomas won that job in September but suffered a concussion and fumbled when he was got hit low and high on a return two weeks ago against Baltimore.

“He’s practiced back there,” McDaniels said. “He feels great about it. He’s fine in that regard, in terms of what happened a few weeks ago. You try to talk him into keeping those guys away from him a little longer on kickoff return.”
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Let the usual freak out begin.

crush17
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't like him returning kicks but if that's what they think is the best option then so be it.
He's just way too big of a target.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM

McDaniels said rookie receiver Demaryius Thomas (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/demaryius-thomas/) could once again be an option to return kickoffs. Thomas won that job in September but suffered a concussion and fumbled when he was got hit low and high on a return two weeks ago against Baltimore.

Hes practiced back there, McDaniels said. He feels great about it. Hes fine in that regard, in terms of what happened a few weeks ago. You try to talk him into keeping those guys away from him a little longer on kickoff return.

I dont get why we need him back there...at all. Just keep him at receiver.

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I dont get why we need him back there...at all. Just keep him at receiver.

gets him on the field and in the few chances he got, he was by far the best returner.

_Oro_
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I think/hope its just a smoke screen.

Look we have the most awesome WR evAh, let's havem return kicks till he's injured forevah!

SonOfLe-loLang
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
gets him on the field and in the few chances he got, he was by far the best returner.

Yeah and he got completely jacked up on the second game he did it. Our offense can move the ball and he needs to be a bigger part of the offense. im a big believer that with special teams returners, you only have to accomplish one thing: Dont turn it over. I dont want my potentially best offensive weapon back there.

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah and he got completely jacked up on the second game he did it. Our offense can move the ball and he needs to be a bigger part of the offense. im a big believer that with special teams returners, you only have to accomplish one thing: Dont turn it over. I dont want my potentially best offensive weapon back there.

so he sits on the sideline and you have butterfingers Cox as the returner? All KR get blasted once in a while.

oubronco
10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Just put the Squid back there and keep Thomas on offense

goldengopher1976
10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote from article:

"I think they have the best group that we've seen thus far, maybe we'll see all year," said Oakland coach Tom Cable...

The experts at the scouting service sites that do weekly match-up comparisons may not be on board yet, but at least one opposing coach is, and I imagine that at some point others will have to recognize that whatever deficiencies this team has, our play and depth at WR is not one of them.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-22-2010, 12:06 PM
so he sits on the sideline and you have butterfingers Cox as the returner? All KR get blasted once in a while.

I dont care if a stone wall goes back there, just dont fumble. And Cox dropped a punt, which is a different animal (and i think Eddie should stay back there because he's surehanded). Id gladly let Perrish try returning kicks again, i thought he looked good doing it in the preseason.

And of course all KR's get blasted once in a while, which is why you dont put your most talented offensive weapon back there (even if he hasnt realized all his potential yet). Plus, he's just not built for it...hes a HUGE target

baja
10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Thomas is every bit the player Dez Bryant was coming out of College, but faster. Dez just had a better QB situation and a lot of negative publicity on his off field efforts.

The Kid has all kinds of elite tools, I just hope he continues to improve the mental side. He is an outstanding WR, he just needs to keep getting better mentally.

He will. I think he scored the highest on the Wonderlick Test of all our rookies.

baja
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
From the article - There was the experiment of having Thomas return kicks, only to reach the predictable conclusion that at 6-feet-3, 229 pounds, his "Hit Me" target is a bit large.

This is what I have been saying and keep him out of the slot too.

baja
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Hes practiced back there, McDaniels said. He feels great about it. Hes fine in that regard, in terms of what happened a few weeks ago. You try to talk him into keeping those guys away from him a little longer on kickoff return.

I don't think it is wise.

There was the experiment of having Thomas return kicks, only to reach the predictable conclusion that at 6-feet-3, 229 pounds, his "Hit Me" target is a bit large.

cutthemdown
10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
He looks like a great player in the making. I wonder if Broncos start Lloyd and Thomas outside next yr? Is Lloyd going to play like this again next yr? Or will Broncos try and move him since they have young guys? Hell I don't even know what Lloyds contract is. Anyone know if he's on a 1 yr deal or longer?

Eldorado
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
He signed a 2 year this year.

outdoor_miner
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
They may put him back there because he looks like he could break off a TD every single time he touches the ball. I am not sure how I feel about it, but I can see the reasoning. You have to get your best talent on the field as much as possible, and the most talent we have is at WR. Thomas is electric.

DeuceOfClub
10-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Playing in Denver against the drunk polak I dont think it will matter.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Playing in Denver against the drunk polak I dont think it will matter.

Good point

SpringStein
10-22-2010, 12:43 PM
He will. I think he scored the highest on the Wonderlick Test of all our rookies.

Actually Decker scored the highest of the entire rookie class.

baja
10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Actually Decker scored the highest of the entire rookie class.

Ya I got that mixed up.

Do you remember what Bay Bay scored. I know he was credited with being a smart football player in the press.

Beantown Bronco
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Ryan Clady showed me just how important a high wonderlic score was in the grand scheme of things.

eddie mac
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
He looks like a great player in the making. I wonder if Broncos start Lloyd and Thomas outside next yr? Is Lloyd going to play like this again next yr? Or will Broncos try and move him since they have young guys? Hell I don't even know what Lloyds contract is. Anyone know if he's on a 1 yr deal or longer?

He'll get some sort of payrise I would think given his contract is for peanuts in 2011 $795k in total to be exact.

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 01:07 PM
He'll get some sort of payrise I would think given his contract is for peanuts in 2011 $795k in total to be exact.

why would Lloyd leave if he has success?

cutthemdown
10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Well Lloyd will want money. No doubt he will want to stay in Denver but at some point Broncos will have to pay him. Not sure they will with all the young WR. Had they known he was going to play so well they may not have drafted Decker who knows.

It's a good problem to have because Broncos will be throwing a lot. For sure Mcd will want 5 good WR that can play.

cutthemdown
10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
why would Lloyd leave if he has success?

I would guess the only reason would be:

1- he got traded
2- someone paid him more, for a longer term etc etc.

If he finishes season strong he almost has to try and get more money. It could be his one last shot to get a big deal and a commitment from a team.

Sounds like we have his rights though for 1 more yr? So he may have to do it 2 yrs to make it pay off.

_Oro_
10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I've been saying for a while now that we'll trade Lloyd. The big question mark is how the looming lockout would affect trade talks.

baja
10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Ryan Clady showed me just how important a high wonderlic score was in the grand scheme of things.

Ya he was smart enough to grab a pick up basket ball game at 300+ pounds and risk a career worth multi millions.

UberBroncoMan
10-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I've been saying for a while now that we'll trade Lloyd. The big question mark is how the looming lockout would affect trade talks.

If we trade him it's because we can get a great pick, not because he doesn't deserve to be here (atm).

Sure would be nice to get a 2 for him.

orinjkrush
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Denver has given Loyd and Orton both "real" first string jobs. sometimes that is reciprocated when other opportunities pop up.

baja
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
If we trade him it's because we can get a great pick, not because he doesn't deserve to be here (atm).

We could probably get a 2 and Marshall from Miami if we wanted him....

_Oro_
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

I say call up Seattle. Don't they always need receivers.

elsid13
10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Well Lloyd will want money. No doubt he will want to stay in Denver but at some point Broncos will have to pay him. Not sure they will with all the young WR. Had they known he was going to play so well they may not have drafted Decker who knows.

It's a good problem to have because Broncos will be throwing a lot. For sure Mcd will want 5 good WR that can play.

Remember Lloyd got paid by Danny Boy big time, so unless he is complete idiot he and his family should be taken care for life.

dsmoot
10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
true but you draft talent....not for need

The Dallas Cowboy philosophy of the 60's and 70's

Killericon
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Remember Lloyd got paid by Danny Boy big time, so unless he is complete idiot he and his family should be taken care for life.

Yeah, because Wide Receivers have usually been altruistic around contract negotiation time.

Uhh

I'd like to get Lloyd on a 3 year extension, but I wouldn't mind too much if he walked. With Decker, Royal, Gaffney and Thomas, we should be fine moving forward.

Zoobie
10-22-2010, 05:32 PM
LOL@ getting a 2nd round pick for Brandon Lloyd. He's having success in this system, but I think it's quite obvious this is a fluke. He won't play at this level year in and year out, especially for another team.

Drek
10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Ya I got that mixed up.

Do you remember what Bay Bay scored. I know he was credited with being a smart football player in the press.

37 if I recall, Decker led the class with a 43.

Olsen, Walton, and Beadles were all at or near the top for their positions as well. Tebow scored a 22 (not horrible but not great for a QB) but then he supposedly had some reason to be a bit flustered.

baja
10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
37 if I recall, Decker led the class with a 43.

Olsen, Walton, and Beadles were all at or near the top for their positions as well. Tebow scored a 22 (not horrible but not great for a QB) but then he supposedly had some reason to be a bit flustered.

37 + 43 = 80

that is higher than a lot of teams totals.

Hulamau
10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Have a feeling he could be very involved in the game plan this Sunday.

Startin' him on all three FF teams...

Rock Chalk
10-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Ya he was smart enough to grab a pick up basket ball game at 300+ pounds and risk a career worth multi millions.

Dan Marino.

Scored like a 12.

Wonderlick means dick.

Drek
10-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Dan Marino.

Scored like a 12.

Wonderlick means dick.

I wouldn't say it means dick. But it shouldn't be treated as an end all measuring stick for what a guy has between the ears.

Some people just do not test well. Some do. Its also not exactly the best test in the world for getting at the heart of the subject, football IQ.

I've always seen the wonderlick as a test that can generally only help you. Seeing a guy put up good numbers helps confirm for coaches and scouts that the guy they see in the interview room is legit and not just well coached by their agent.

The only way its a negative is if you play a position that requires quick read and react ability (OL and QB for example) and you score in the single digits. That just shows an inability for quick thought progressions and would be a red flag but you'd still need to view collegiate production and how he interviews to really identify that as a problem.

baja
10-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Dan Marino.

Scored like a 12.

Wonderlick means dick.

I know the Wonderlick is poorly constructed and holds a bias to the demographic of the person taking the test. Also some people do not have test taking skills or may have limited reading comprehension. Only point I wish to make is I like smart football players and a smart football team that can beat you with cunning as well as with preparedness and talent and at present the "Wonderlick" is the only gauge we have to point out those players even if it does have it's limitations.