PDA

View Full Version : Coach McDaniels Thursday (10/21) Press Conference

SoCalBronco
10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Week-7---Thursday-McDaniels/0620a5e7-241a-44bf-a057-2bc3c5ed59ad

broncosteven
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Gene Kranz type praise for DJ!

TheProfessor
10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Coach has a serious level of respect for DJ.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Coach has a serious level of respect for DJ.

Hogwash. I'm going to have to go with Alec and cutthemdown on this one. He's no leader and he's nothing special. Josh McDaniels doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and he has no idea what real leadership and impact play is.

/sarcasm off

:)

BlaK-Argentina
10-21-2010, 08:16 PM
You can't help but wonder what DJ's career might have been without so many changes.

At least he's getting a bit of recognition now. He's a very good player.

Ray Finkle
10-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Hogwash. I'm going to have to go with Alec and cutthemdown on this one. He's no leader and he's nothing special. Josh McDaniels doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and he has no idea what real leadership and impact play is.

/sarcasm off

while you're at it...how about a recap :D

cutthemdown
10-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Show me where I say Mcdaniels has no idea what he is doing? Been supporting his hiring since before we announced it. Check the threads if you don't believe it. I never once said this is Mcdaniels fault. I did say he probably needs to win by next yr r Bowlen may get antsy.

I also questioned if he has staff put together just right yet. He's young though could take some time.

All I said was the not getting enough players on the field against the gaguars for a TD, then again for a FG attempt against jet's, pisses me off and is a joke. That and the missed fg because of bad snap, the bad ST breakdowns etc etc make Broncos look like a joke. How can that happen on to a good team at this level? It's very unBroncolike and it upsets me.

I have also said Broncos really soft still. Not enough in the front 7 and the safety's outside of Dawk really bad IMO. It's not whining it's just how it is.

Go ahead rail away. I know how good you all feel having someone to turn into the bad guy so you don't have to face the facts.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
while you're at it...how about a recap :D

Coach McDaniels said that they got great effort from Marty Biron, tonight. He felt they probably couldn't beat a good team like Toronto with Hank in goal. Talked about leadership and saves at the key times. There could be a real goaltender controversy....they're focused on starting the right guy, not the guy who makes the most money.

Oh wait...I thought you wanted a recap of Torts postgame interview, my bad. :)

Dagmar
10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Show me where I say Mcdaniels has no idea what he is doing? Been supporting his hiring since before we announced it. Check the threads if you don't believe it. I never once said this is Mcdaniels fault. I did say he probably needs to win by next yr r Bowlen may get antsy.

I also questioned if he has staff put together just right yet. He's young though could take some time.

All I said was the not getting enough players on the field against the gaguars for a TD, then again for a FG attempt against jet's, pisses me off and is a joke. That and the missed fg because of bad snap, the bad ST breakdowns etc etc make Broncos look like a joke. How can that happen on to a good team at this level? It's very unBroncolike and it upsets me.

I have also said Broncos really soft still. Not enough in the front 7 and the safety's outside of Dawk really bad IMO. It's not whining it's just how it is.

Go ahead rail away. I know how good you all feel having someone to turn into the bad guy so you don't have to face the facts.

http://www.randompics.net/wp-content/main/2010_07/1278079838946.jpg

Lev Vyvanse
10-21-2010, 09:14 PM
DJ = http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-z4cQi9WNg/SbVcPdomOAI/AAAAAAAAAl4/pTSDAcNPUNM/s400/animal.gif

Houshyamama
10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I love McDaniels and think he's great for this organization. Once he builds up depth and has a few more years to get this team going I honestly believe we're going to be a perennial powerhouse.

baja
10-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I love McDaniels and think he's great for this organization. Once he builds up depth and has a few more years to get this team going I honestly believe we're going to be a perennial powerhouse.

The only surprise to me is so many of the resedant genius' can't see that, it seems so self evident.

Go listen to a presser from last year than listen to today's or last weeks. He never says "the player" anymore he addresses every player by his first name and always finds something positive about whom ever he is talking about without blowing smoke.

Josh McDaniels is growing into a great head football coach right before our eyes.

It's great to see So. Cal's respect for "Coach McDaniels" growing.

Houshyamama
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
The only surprise to me is so many of the resedant genius' can't see that, it seems so self evident.

Go listen to a presser from last year than listen to today's or last weeks. He never says "the player" anymore he addresses every player by his first name and always finds something positive about whom ever he is talking about without blowing smoke.

Josh McDaniels is growing into a great head football coach right before our eyes.

It's great to see So. Cal's respect for "Coach McDaniels" growing.

Absolutely. However, the skeptics' doubt is understandable though when you look at it from a realist's point of view. We are far removed from our glory days and they want wins, NOW. They don't know how to get them, but they expect success NOW. It takes time, and patience is a hard thing to come by in this atmosphere of 'what have you done for me lately'.

I believe in time they will come around, winning heals a lot of wounds.

baja
10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Absolutely. However, the skeptics' doubt is understandable though when you look at it from a realist's point of view. We are far removed from our glory days and they want wins, NOW. They don't know how to get them, but they expect success NOW. It takes time, and patience is a hard thing to come by in this atmosphere of 'what have you done for me lately'.

I believe in time they will come around, winning heals a lot of wounds.

"Realist" is just another word for "I can't see what is right in front of my face so I gotta look at some numbers".

Put that one on your refrigerator.

strafen
10-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Josh McDaniels is growing into a great head football coach right before our eyes. It's great to see So. Cal's respect for "Coach McDaniels" growing.4-14 in his last 18 games.

strafen
10-21-2010, 10:58 PM
"Realist" is just another word for "I can't see what is right in front of my face so I gotta look at some numbers".

Don't mistake realistic for delusional...

broncofan2438
10-21-2010, 11:17 PM
4-14 in his last 18 games.

I do enjoy MCDs but this stat is ugly. He just needs some defensive help and I think we can kill it out there. There is no reason for people not to believe that we are a very competitive team with a non-injury-bug season and some defensive help.
Even though no one gives Orton any credit, I cant tell you how much better i feel with Orton dropping back rather than Cutler. McDs really knows how to teach QBs, excited to see what he can do with Tebow

Houshyamama
10-21-2010, 11:39 PM

Did not mean to infer that a realist's point of view should be that of skepticism, only that a realist should expect for part of a population of fans to be complainers and haters in a situation such as this.

baja
10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Did not mean to infer that a realist's point of view should be that of skepticism, only that a realist should expect for part of a population of fans to be complainers and haters in a situation such as this.

I know. I wasn't going off on you. More like a built up reaction to the "But we are 4 and 12" bunch.

Popps
10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I do enjoy MCDs but this stat is ugly. He just needs some defensive help and I think we can kill it out there. There is no reason for people not to believe that we are a very competitive team with a non-injury-bug season and some defensive help.
Even though no one gives Orton any credit, I cant tell you how much better i feel with Orton dropping back rather than Cutler. McDs really knows how to teach QBs, excited to see what he can do with Tebow

So true. I feel like every time he drops back, something good will happen. Of course, it always won't... but I'm always happy to see him scanning the field.

Cutler was just a disaster waiting to happen.

OBF1
10-22-2010, 01:35 AM
So true. I feel like every time he drops back, something good will happen. Of course, it always won't... but I'm always happy to see him scanning the field.

Cutler IS just a disaster waiting to happen.

Fixed it for you :thumbs:

eddie mac
10-22-2010, 02:09 AM
DJ is the only vet leader on that defense that might be here next year. Dawkins deal has an option to cancel given the excessive bump in pay and Bailey is a free agent.

The Joker
10-22-2010, 02:48 AM
I'll be very surprised if Champ goes anywhere, they'll either tag him or get a contract worked out IMO.

Either way, we do need some of our younger guys to step it up and make this defense theirs, to be a leader going forward. I hope Dawkins has rubbed off on DJ a bit, because he really should be that guy for us. But he just doesn't seem to be the vocal type... Champ never has been either.

Ayers could be a possibility, he certainly has the physical playing style and should be a fixture on our D going forward. Woodyard seems to be a natural leader, but he's only situational player for us.

Need some of the youngsters to step up.

shovelpass#30
10-22-2010, 04:51 AM
I do enjoy MCDs but this stat is ugly.

It's also wrong. 4-12 (not to say that's much better...)

Jetmeck
10-22-2010, 04:58 AM

Listen up dude, you are just gonna have to knock this crap off or be banned cause you couldn't surely be a REAL BRONCO FAN disagreeing with MCD and pointing out coaching mistakes and such ?
lol

Come on drink the KOOL AID too, Some of these characters AROUND HERE have drank so much KOOL AID and had SO MUCH sunshine BLEW UP YOU KNOW WHERE by McD and been fed so much BS from McD they could have a hell of a nice garden out back ??

INbronco
10-22-2010, 05:00 AM
4-14 in his last 18 games.

To cherry pick by just picking some of the games to quote is low life and misses the whole point of "career". How would you like it if someone characterized you by quoting only your last failure?

Maybe you think it is a trend but most of us know it's just a rookie coach learning his craft. Bet Bolen gives him at least 5 years to learn and grow.

Jetmeck
10-22-2010, 05:08 AM
To cherry pick by just picking some of the games to quote is low life and misses the whole point of "career". How would you like it if someone characterized you by quoting only your last failure?

Maybe you think it is a trend but most of us know it's just a rookie coach learning his craft. Bet Bolen gives him at least 5 years to learn and grow.

Cheery pick my ass ! I could give a chit less what he did in New England. I want results like everybody else does and I want to see positive steps right freaKIN NOW. He is an idiot. Two drafts and not one decent DL picked if he picked any at all.

I want all you McDummy supporters to think about this, by the time this idiot figures out we need young talented DL, Champ will be gone and his talents wasted !!!!!

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Coach McDaniels said that they got great effort from Marty Biron, tonight. He felt they probably couldn't beat a good team like Toronto with Hank in goal. Talked about leadership and saves at the key times. There could be a real goaltender controversy....they're focused on starting the right guy, not the guy who makes the most money.

Oh wait...I thought you wanted a recap of Torts postgame interview, my bad. :)

jealous because NY actually has a back up and Hank will be fresh for the playoffs. I can see it now, Fedetenko plastering girl's name into the boards....

Ray Finkle
10-22-2010, 05:12 AM

yeah because people were really questioning you in this tread....attention whore.

go_broncos
10-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Mcd is the best 4-12 coach Ever..

The MVPlaya
10-22-2010, 05:19 AM

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/spooky_uk_2007/poltergeist.gif

go_broncos
10-22-2010, 05:20 AM

5 Years...Hilarious!
He will be fired after next year if we have the same results..

Rock Chalk
10-22-2010, 05:28 AM

/sarcasm off

Yeah, two things.

1) Dont EVER put me in the same sentence with that douche cutthemdown.
2) I never said he is "nothing special". DJ is playing at a high level right now. I did say he is NOT Al Wilson in the leadership department but that does not mean he isn't a good leader. He's just not a GREAT leader. DJ doesn't run the defense like Al did, and in fact there are very few LBs in the sport that do run their defenses as well as Al ran his.

As for impact play, Mediator has said more against DJ than anyone but I noticed you left his name conveniently off your sarcastic comment.Why is that? Pussy.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Don't mistake realistic for delusional...

Don't worry. Looking at the long term growth is realistic. You are delusional. See the difference?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Cheery pick my ass ! I could give a chit less what he did in New England. I want results like everybody else does and I want to see positive steps right freaKIN NOW. He is an idiot. Two drafts and not one decent DL picked if he picked any at all.

I want all you McDummy supporters to think about this, by the time this idiot figures out we need young talented DL, Champ will be gone and his talents wasted !!!!!

They're takin' arrrrr jerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbs!! Rabble rabble rabble!

****ing moron. Be more of a dip****.

Beantown Bronco
10-22-2010, 06:20 AM

This goes for at least 30 teams right now....Why? Name me all those star DLinemen that were drafted in the last two years that (1) can play a 3-4, (2) were drafted after our spots, and (3) have shown results on the field RIGHT FREAKIN NOW.

Good luck.

NYBronco
10-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Listen up dude, you are just gonna have to knock this crap off or be banned cause you couldn't surely be a REAL BRONCO FAN disagreeing with MCD and pointing out coaching mistakes and such ?
lol

Come on drink the KOOL AID too, Some of these characters AROUND HERE have drank so much KOOL AID and had SO MUCH sunshine BLEW UP YOU KNOW WHERE by McD and been fed so much BS from McD they could have a hell of a nice garden out back ??

I guess I qualify as one of "these characters" you talk about. I'll take some more of that delicious McD koolaid. For example, this young rebuilding team has played the opposition pretty well the past four weeks although the outcome wasn't what Bronco fans wanted it was pretty much expected. Change takes time and I'm a patient optimist.

Fist pump the raiders to the moon this weekend.

cutthemdown
10-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, two things.

1) Dont EVER put me in the same sentence with that douche cutthemdown.
2) I never said he is "nothing special". DJ is playing at a high level right now. I did say he is NOT Al Wilson in the leadership department but that does not mean he isn't a good leader. He's just not a GREAT leader. DJ doesn't run the defense like Al did, and in fact there are very few LBs in the sport that do run their defenses as well as Al ran his.

As for impact play, Mediator has said more against DJ than anyone but I noticed you left his name conveniently off your sarcastic comment.Why is that? p***Y.

Another guy making disparaging comments from a fake name on a message board. Funny.

Houshyamama
10-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Another guy making disparaging comments from a fake name on a message board. Funny.

Is this you making fun of yourself?

Kaylore
10-22-2010, 02:27 PM

http://johnnoble.net/img/photos/denethor_e.jpg

Br0nc0Buster
10-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Im glad I wasnt the only one that noticed the irony

worm
10-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I heard you can learn a lot about football by listening to these pressers.

gtown
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I just hope that Bowlen gives McD the time he needs to get a system in place. There are very few franchises that can win consistently without continuity.

cutthemdown
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM

well who called who a douche? then then other guy a pussy?

It's one thing to say man that is a stupid comment, or you are so wrong blah blah blah, but to use fighting comments when you know it doesn't have to be backed up is weak. Rock is the one who should worry about whose a pussy.

baja
10-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Interesting how he is 4 & 12 when he won his first 6 games as a head coach.

I must have missed the memo saying those do not count.

baja
10-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I heard you can learn a lot about football by listening to these pressers.

Maybe not but you can learn a fair bit about the guy conducting them.

HAT
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
It's also wrong. 4-12 (not to say that's much better...)

It's also utterly meaningless.......

If a team loses it's first 8 games, wins the last 8, wins the first 8 the following year and than loses the last 8....Guess what? They went 8-8 2 years in a row.
Who gives a **** that they won 16 straight in the middle of doing so?

HAT
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/kaegoe/Icons/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

_Oro_
10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
It's also utterly meaningless.......

If a team loses it's first 8 games, wins the last 8, wins the first 8 the following year and than loses the last 8....Guess what? They went 8-8 2 years in a row.
Who gives a **** that they won 16 straight in the middle of doing so?

This 4-12 blah blah blah is the dumbest thing going around this board these days. Seriously.... we're 2-4 so far this year and 8-8 last year.

cmhargrove
10-22-2010, 03:53 PM
lol

orinjkrush
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Time to give it up to Coach McD. Real Coach of Genius. A dancing, hugenormous taco salad that smells really good a mile high away: http://www.spike.com/video/bud-light-real-men/3031629

Drek
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Bowlen has shown himself to be a very patient owner and I'm sure McDaniels wouldn't have drafted Tebow if he didn't feel like he'd have at least the third year of his contract to develop him.

I'd agree that the staff is still under some revision. It seems to me like a lot of his initial hires were the acquisition of specialists to get certain key aspects in place and now he's slowly transitioning to a more long term crew. Nolan is an example of this. He and McDaniels obviously didn't see eye to eye, but Nolan is good at overhauling nothing on defense into something acceptable. Once he got the basics of the 3-4 running and decided he wanted to move on to somewhere more to his liking we had Martindale in the ideal position. I think Priefer is in a similar situation. McDaniels will live with Priefer's failings on coverage/returns as long as it gets Prater and Colquitt coached up into long term starters. Once he feels like those two are set he'll cut bait with Priefer and get a guy who can improve the other areas of our STs.

Lets be honest. The Broncos have not been a disciplined, focused team for quite some time. We saw these same kinds of stupid mistakes during Shanahan's last years here too and that was when much of the 1st and 2nd string on both sides of the ball was comprised of experienced vets.

Mistake free football is the sign of a playoff team. Its been a while since we made the playoffs, so you can pretty easily surmise that the Broncos haven't been playing mistake free football. At least now most of the mistakes are coming from young talent we're coaching up.

But this is also the real problem with all our injuries. Our 2nd and 3rd string guys are being thrown into the fire before they can get coached up. We've got two waiver wire acquisitions starting (Hunter and Vickerson) and all but two of our healthy DBs are first or second year guys. Same goes for the OL. Its young and hasn't had much time to gel.

I do agree completely though. McDaniels needs to prove he's the right coach for the job down the stretch this season. I don't need a playoff run to be happy, I just want to see a Denver Broncos team tighten up their game and play better down the stretch instead of always being a hot start, cold finish club. If he breaks that pattern this year I'll have much more optimism for the 2011 season.

The big problems I see with our toughness on D is the lack of Doom and Ayers. Last year Doom and Dawkins set the tone for physicality and aggressiveness. Without Doom we saw Ayers being to step into that role. Now we're missing him. DJ and Champ try but that just isn't really either of their game.

I have faith in our secondary finding that kind of leader, as Bruton is an animal on special teams and Thompson is a balls out 110% type of guy. Either one of them could emerge as the tone setter for the secondary. Though I also wouldn't be opposed to acquiring a hard hitting safety in the draft next year.

And yes, we do need that kind of tone setter on the DL. Thomas, McBean, and Vickerson offer some nice young long term options on the DL but we need an aggressor to sets the tone for the unit. Those guys aren't easy to acquire but that needs to be the top priority of the next off-season.

No, you generally gave some well reasoned facts. I'm a bit more optimistic about what we have, sure. I also strongly believe that McDaniels "gets it" but he hasn't really been in an ideal world to deal with all the many things that needed to be done on this team.

Regardless of your opinions on Cutler and Marshall the fact is that when McDaniels moved them in back to back off-seasons he put a demand upon himself to deliver a top flight passing game. That was also the hallmark coaching trait that got him noticed in the first place. So obviously he's needed to put some legitimate value into retooling the offensive attack. At the same time he wanted to get us into a 3-4 and was working basically from scratch on defense. Just getting to middle of the pack was an accomplishment with what he was handed on that side of the ball.

We're very early in the retooling process. We'll know a lot more about McDaniels when we see how the team finishes this season and how he then approaches the 2011 off-season. Again, I strongly believe he gets it so I'm expecting the team to tighten up their play and for us to go somewhere between 6-4 to 8-2 down the final 10, which will be followed by an off-season where he will continue building on the lines, this time with a bigger emphasis on the DL. We'll see how it plays out, I'm looking forward to it but then I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

strafen
10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I love McDaniels and think he's great for this organization. Once he builds up depth and has a few more years to get this team going I honestly believe we're going to be a perennial powerhouse.wut? Ha!

Rascal
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Drek...hope you are right. But McD and this team have given me nothing to be optimistic about.

Houshyamama
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
wut? Ha!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Laugh it up. Season's not over yet.

broncoblue
10-25-2010, 04:15 AM
the seasons not over?

azbroncfan
10-25-2010, 07:06 AM

He won't get a few more years at this pace. Sorry it isn't like his team just lost to the 89 49ers by 45 pts. It was to a garbage rival team.

go_broncos
10-25-2010, 07:18 AM
yeah, yeah, yeah. Laugh it up. season's not over yet.

rofl!

bendog
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
He hasn't had TIME. It's not easy to remake a defense with no draft picks and maxed out cap. HE INHERITED NOTHING. Stop picking on OUR COACH, YOU NON-FANS. You make me wanna puke my post toasties. PUSSIES You know nothing of football!~!!!!