PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Ravens coach thought only Denver stood between them and SB

Gort
10-21-2010, 09:48 AM
2000 Ravens retrospective over at the Baltimore Sun. they interviewed Billick and part of the conversation centered on their playoff game against Denver. Billick basically said that the game against Denver was the one he didn't know if they could win. They weren't worried about Tennessee or Oakland. They knew if they could get past Denver and Shanahan, then they could march through the playoffs and win the SB.

i thought this was interesting point. the 2000 Broncos team doesn't stand out in my memory as particularly elite (although they were 11-5 that year). i guess this was Billick's way of saying that he didn't know he'd arrived as a head coach until he'd beat someone like Shanny in the playoffs.

Q: Moving on to the postseason, as a spectator looking back at signature moments, for me it was Dilfer to Sharpe for 96 yards and the longest completion in postseason history. That was fairly late in the playoffs. You had won a few games before that. Is there a moment like that for you?

A: For me it was the Denver game [the first playoff game]. I felt -- this is the truth -- if we could beat Denver, I didn't think anyone else could stop us. I knew we'd win the Super Bowl.

Q: Was it something about that team's makeup that made it more of a challenge than Tennessee and Oakland?

A: It was, and I told the guys: "You've got to get my back on this one. Mike Shanahan has two Super Bowl rings, and I've never coached a playoff game as a head coach. You're better than they are, but I'm not sure I'm better than he is, so you've got to cover us here." The defense was brilliant, and we did just enough offensively -- we ran the ball really well. Once we got past that Denver game -- because obviously we were confident with our ability to beat Tennessee because we had done it -- it wasn't going to be easy, but we were confident we could do it. And then, Oakland, the leading rushing team in the league. That was what they were built on, and I knew they weren't going to be able to piss a drop. And I knew they didn't know that. And the same with the Giants, and I don't mean it disrespectfully, but there was not a fraction, an iota of a second during the Super Bowl preparation that it occurred to me that we wouldn't win that game.http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/super-bowl-anniversary/bal-schmuck-brian-billick-ravens-super-bowl,0,1001137.story

Popps
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Shanahan can do a lot with a little. He's a fantastic game-day coach. Clearly, he could dominate when he had the right talent.

Personally, I think our current coach shares some of those traits.

BroncoDoug
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Our offense that year was actually really good... wasn't that Mike Andersons rookie year?

Gort
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
at the end of the article, there's a nice little dig at the Raiders. when asked if he'd come back, Billick points out the Raiders and Al Davis by name as an organization and boss he would NOT come back and work for.

:)

loborugger
10-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Our offense that year was actually really good... wasn't that Mike Andersons rookie year?

The 'O' was pretty good that year. But they did nothing in that game. I remember Griese having a miserable day and the running game never getting going.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
It was Gus Frerotte, Griese was hurt with the shoulder he reinjured in the season finale.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 10:02 AM
On the day we closed Mile High, we destroyed San Francisco, but early in that game, Griese was drilled into the turf and reinjured his wing.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I dont remember thinking we had any shot in that game.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
On the day we closed Mile High, we destroyed San Francisco, but early in that game, Griese was drilled into the turf and reinjured his wing.

Didnt he come back briefly for that beautiful handoff on a KaRon Coleman TD or something? The days when the mile high crowd adored Griese

B-Love
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
2000 was a really great year to be on the forums for sure. There was alot of intense back and forth about Griese-Frerotte, which was very polarizing.

Mike Anderson's rise from nowhere. TD was still spot playing and had a few 100 yard games. You had really great performances, such as one of the most impressive QB days by Brian Griese at the Meadowlands against the Jets. Maybe the best 3rd down passing performance I have ever seen.

We also gave the Rams a run for their money opening night, in their title defense. We also walked into Oakland and dominated early, and also destroyed Reeves in his return to Denver.

But then we also had these terrible games. Bledsoe and the Pats just humiliated us at home. The Chiefs walked away with an inexcusable win, that game sucked!! Andf then Ryan Leaf had the greatest game of his career and almost humiliated the organization.

Rod Smith running out of the backfield at Husky Stadium? Flashbulbs galore at the finale of the Frisco game. VERY memorable season.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Also Travis McGriff's only career TD? Who can forget that? LOL

Another clunker was the road game at KC, where we scored our only TD on a Chiefs muffed punt. Our O was very feast or famine with Gus at the controls.

And that was the Corey Dillon game year too right?? Damn, that was some memorable year, for both great and horrible reasons.

Dedhed
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
He's a fantastic game-day coach.
I think Shanahan was/is one of the best game planners ever, but I always thought he had a difficult time adjusting if things weren't working during a game.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Didnt he come back briefly for that beautiful handoff on a KaRon Coleman TD or something? The days when the mile high crowd adored Griese

Griese tore up his shoulder in a classic MNF win over the Raiders but took an injection and completed a few passes in a late drive to win the game 27-24. Very heroic, but then he missed the next 7 weeks or something.

Joe Nedney also did some nice kicking after Elam was hammered in the Falcons game.

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd worry too if Dilhole was my starting QB

RunSilentRunDeep
10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
His take on the Titans seems a little strange. They only beat them by the Grace of God and a few special teams plays.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Griese tore up his shoulder in a classic MNF win over the Raiders but took an injection and completed a few passes in a late drive to win the game 27-24. Very heroic, but then he missed the next 7 weeks or something.

Joe Nedney also did some nice kicking after Elam was hammered in the Falcons game.

I know, but he came back in that SF game right? Went out early, then came back in to hand off a ball that went for a long td run...right?

Rascal
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
shanahan can do a lot with a little. He's a fantastic game-day coach. Clearly, he could dominate when he had the right talent.

personally, i think our current coach shares some of those traits.

rofl!

TheChamp24
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
That finale was something else.
A lot of people don't realize that was Jerry Rice's last game in a San Francisco 49er uniform.
The ENTIRE crowd was chanting Jerry when he was introduced pre-game, and upon the conclusion of the game. I thought that was very touching that the Denver fans recognized a true great on another team for a memorable career.

rovolution
10-21-2010, 11:03 AM

yea #2 offense in the league that season.

only second to the Greatest Show on Turf.

And we did it with Griese and Gus Frerotte where the Rams had HOF QB in Warner.

Rod and Eddie were only the second tandem in league history to both have 100 catch seasons.

That was also the year Shanny tried to convince Steve Young to join the Broncos instead of retiring. it didnt work but its always fun to imagine what if had Steve Young joined the team that season.

Rock Chalk
10-21-2010, 11:04 AM
2000 was a really great year to be on the forums for sure. There was alot of intense back and forth about Griese-Frerotte, which was very polarizing.

Mike Anderson's rise from nowhere. TD was still spot playing and had a few 100 yard games. You had really great performances, such as one of the most impressive QB days by Brian Griese at the Meadowlands against the Jets. Maybe the best 3rd down passing performance I have ever seen.

We also gave the Rams a run for their money opening night, in their title defense. We also walked into Oakland and dominated early, and also destroyed Reeves in his return to Denver.

But then we also had these terrible games. Bledsoe and the Pats just humiliated us at home. The Chiefs walked away with an inexcusable win, that game sucked!! Andf then Ryan Leaf had the greatest game of his career and almost humiliated the organization.

Rod Smith running out of the backfield at Husky Stadium? Flashbulbs galore at the finale of the Frisco game. VERY memorable season.

reeally? I dont remember this game very clearly but I find it hard to believe it was better than Orton's 3rd down passing performance against Seattle this year, which was quite incredible.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-21-2010, 11:06 AM
People forget, but Denver was right behind Baltimore as the two teams everyone thought were the most dangerous teams going into the playoffs. Denver did go 7-1 in the 2nd half that year.

I think all 6 AFC teams that year would have beat any of the NFC playoff teams.

Rausch 2.0
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
It was, but keep in mind, like we did everything, it was an organizational decision. It's my job to represent that decision, but this was not me waking up one day and saying, "You know what, we need a new quarterback." This was done over a monthlong period of time, like you do every position, "What are we going to do to repeat?" Trent was one of several free agents, so we had to consider we might lose Trent to another team. What's out there and can we be better and what's available? It would be a bold step, but clearly, what we did offensively had to be better. To think we were going to repeat the all-time greatest scoring defense in the history of the game was to ask a lot of our defense. We needed more offensive production. How do we go about doing that? We did it collectively and individually. Ozzie, Shack Harris, Matt Cavanaugh, Phil Savage and myself, and I wanted it to be that way. I didn't want a group mentality. We all assessed the situation separately. Ranked the available free agents as to who was the best, second-best, and factored in the money, what's it going to cost. That's all part of life in the NFL. And we came back and individually saw it the same way -- created the collective plan this is how we go about doing it. The consequence was Elvis Grbac.

Hilarious!

B-Love
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
reeally? I dont remember this game very clearly but I find it hard to believe it was better than Orton's 3rd down passing performance against Seattle this year, which was quite incredible.

Good point, that was an incredible game for Orton. Similar stats, but I'll give Griese's the edge because it was a windy game, on the road, at the Meadowlands, while Orton's was perfect football weather at home.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/11/05/broncos_jets_ap/

12 for 18 overall 3rd down, 12 for 16 for Griese 3rd down passing. Road game, tough to top that performance.

B-Love
10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I know, but he came back in that SF game right? Went out early, then came back in to hand off a ball that went for a long td run...right?

Good call you are right that he came back in

"On Denver's next series, Frerotte was shaken up on a sack and left the game, and Griese returned to hand off to KaRon Coleman, who juked his way around the left side for a 24-yard scoring run with 7:33 left in the half. Griese did not play again, however."

Steve Prefontaine
10-21-2010, 12:22 PM
i really, really believe that denver wins that game if sharpe had stayed with the broncos.

Garcia Bronco
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Our offense was one of the best that year. Our defense ****ing sucked. And we lost our starter halfway through the season.

colonelbeef
10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Another amazing Shanahan coaching job.

TheChamp24
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Man, how many people would be banned here if we lost a game similar to the 2000 Bengals game?
Bengal QB's(Akili Smith and Scott Mitchell) that game were a combined 2-14 for 34 yards.
They ran the ball however 37 times for 407 yards.
We had 32 1st downs that game, 500 total yards of offense, 3 turnovers however. This loss made us 4-4 on the year too, we really needed it. We went on a roll in the 2nd half though. This place would be absolutely hell though if we had a game like the Cincy game.

Shoot, 6 of the last 8 games the offense scored 30 or more points, 1 we scored 27 and the other was the debacle against Kansas City.

Kinda amazing the season Mike Anderson had virtually not playing very much when TD was still starting.

BroncoSojia
10-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Man, how many people would be banned here if we lost a game similar to the 2000 Bengals game?
Bengal QB's(Akili Smith and Scott Mitchell) that game were a combined 2-14 for 34 yards.
They ran the ball however 37 times for 407 yards.
We had 32 1st downs that game, 500 total yards of offense, 3 turnovers however. This loss made us 4-4 on the year too, we really needed it. We went on a roll in the 2nd half though. This place would be absolutely hell though if we had a game like the Cincy game.

Shoot, 6 of the last 8 games the offense scored 30 or more points, 1 we scored 27 and the other was the debacle against Kansas City.

Kinda amazing the season Mike Anderson had virtually not playing very much when TD was still starting.

Wasn't that the game where Corey Dillon went crazy and broke the NFL record for most rushing yards in a game?

TheChamp24
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Wasn't that the game where Corey Dillon went crazy and broke the NFL record for most rushing yards in a game?

It sure was.

BigPlayShay
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Some of those games from 2000 are so fun to re-watch.

Ed and Rod each with 100 catches
M.A. setting the rookie rushing record against New Orleans
Shootouts with Seattle and San Diego, with Rod RUSHING for 78 yards on 3 carries against the Seahawks
Trevor Pryce's 12 sacks
Al Wilson coming into his own

Florida_Bronco
10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
2000 was really the last year we could claim to be a truly elite team. To this day I firmly believe that if Griese hadn't shredded his shoulder we would have beat Baltimore, easily beaten the Giants and won our 3rd Super Bowl while Griese continued developing into a true franchise quarterback.

I have a few old VHS copies of some of the 2000 games and watch them from time to time. Griese was absolutely shredding defenses that year and Mike Anderson was a great surprise. We even had a pretty solid defense that year as well.

baja
10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
2000 was really the last year we could claim to be a truly elite team.<b> To this day I firmly believe that if Griese hadn't shredded his shoulder we would have beat Baltimore, easily beaten the Giants and won our 3rd Super Bowl while Griese continued developing into a true franchise quarterback.</b>

I have a few old VHS copies of some of the 2000 games and watch them from time to time. Griese was absolutely shredding defenses that year and Mike Anderson was a great surprise. We even had a pretty solid defense that year as well.

I have always believed this too.

baja
10-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I also believe Plummer would have been a different player in 06 had Shanny not drafted and then doted on Jay Cutler.

baja
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I also think Shanny made a big mistake benching Bubby Brister in favor of Brian Griese, in fact that is the beginning of Shanny losing his players and the shiit box personality of Jay Cutler didn't help matters.

bombquixote
10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
People don't realize how close the Broncs and Shanny were to nabbing another SB ring that year. Ravens and Broncos were the two best teams in the league. If the broncs had beat KC, they would've taken the division and gotten homefield for part of the playoffs. The Ravens would've come through Denver, and I think we would've beat them in a home game. Nobody else would've stopped us.

The season opener in St. Louis was epic, even though the broncs lost.

WolfpackGuy
10-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I remember the Broncos giving 3 teams (Rams/Pats/Bengals) their first wins of the season.

Still haven't figured out how Buckley didn't pick that ball off Sharpe took to the house in the wildcard.

The defense was pretty bad, but they could create turnovers.

Florida_Bronco
10-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I also think Shanny made a big mistake benching Bubby Brister in favor of Brian Griese, in fact that is the beginning of Shanny losing his players and the shiit box personality of Jay Cutler didn't help matters.

I have mixed emotions about the Griese/Brister situation. Even with as ****ty as Brister played in the preseason that year, Griese had a fairly decent 1999 season and IMO that was probably the building block for him going into 2000.

baja
10-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I have mixed emotions about the Griese/Brister situation. Even with as ****ty as Brister played in the preseason that year, Griese had a fairly decent 1999 season and IMO that was probably the building block for him going into 2000.

What to you think about the "losing the team" part from my post?

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I also believe Plummer would have been a different player in 06 had Shanny not drafted and then doted on Jay Cutler.

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blogmedia/2009/10/kyle-orton.jpg

"what a p***Y....boooosh!"

baja
10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Do you remember when you went from being a Broncos fan to a troll?

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you remember when you went from being a Broncos fan to a troll?

I know you don't remember anything so why do you care? Ha!

baja
10-21-2010, 06:17 PM

What do you mean I don't remember anything and who are you anyway?

broncosteven
10-21-2010, 06:39 PM
...But then we also had these terrible games. Bledsoe and the Pats just humiliated us at home. The Chiefs walked away with an inexcusable win, that game sucked!! ...

I went to the KFC game. Rod fumbled late when we were driving and it sealed the game for KFC.

Later we went and waited for the players to sign and Rod was signing something for me and he was giving me the sharpie back funny and it was going to mark up my jacket so I told him not to drop it. Didn't realize it at the time but it really was bad timing on my part considering he just fumbled the game away.

Had Griese played we might have had a chance, he had some good games that year when healthy.

broncosteven
10-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Trolls calling other people trolls, what comedy!

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Trolls calling other people trolls, what comedy!

baja is a troll? who knew! Ha!

SouthStndJunkie
10-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't get how anyone can say that bronco militia is a troll and not a Broncos fan simply because he doesn't have the same viewpoint and optimism as others.

This partisan viewpoint is narrow and shallow.

I see bronco militia posting on game threads and he wants the Broncos to win as much as anyone else.

So what if he thinks Kyle Orton is not that good. So what if the thinks Josh has made some mistakes.

Come gameday, militia wants his Broncos to win as much as anyone here.

Not everyone is Captain Optimism.

Not all of us think alike, that is the beauty of it all.

If we all had the exact same viewpoint and opinions, this place would be lame.

Deal with it.

TheChamp24
10-21-2010, 07:02 PM
2000 was really the last year we could claim to be a truly elite team. To this day I firmly believe that if Griese hadn't shredded his shoulder we would have beat Baltimore, easily beaten the Giants and won our 3rd Super Bowl while Griese continued developing into a true franchise quarterback.

Our offense was almost unstoppable that year, it was fun to watch.
However, our defense was not solid, it was freakin horrible. Gave up 369 points that year, 23 points a game!
No doubt though that we were feared in the playoffs and could have beaten anyone.

Dagmar
10-21-2010, 07:10 PM

You and cutthemdown have gone of the Punisher deep end... just leave it.

I wasn't around for this season, this is a really cool discussion to read.

Dagmar
10-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't get how anyone can say that bronco militia is a troll and not a Broncos fan simply because he doesn't have the same viewpoint and optimism as others.

I see bronco militia posting on game threads and he wants the Broncos to win as much as anyone else.

So what if he thinks Kyle Orton is not that good. So what if the thinks Josh has made some mistakes.

Deal with it.

There's a difference. Calling Kyle Orton trash is just trolling after his performances.

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 07:13 PM
thanks junkie........

FYI, the 2000 season was my first season with season tickets. I thought every year was going to be like that one, post Elway.

baja
10-21-2010, 07:16 PM

<b>If we all had the exact same viewpoint and opinions, this place would be lame.</b>

Deal with it.

I know he's your friend and that's a good thing but......

If BM just thought Orton was not a good quarterback that would be his right but BM says Orton sucks in a way to gode people.

It's not his opinion of Orton that causes the troll call, it's the how & when he uses the "Orton sucks" take. It's meant to get a rise out of people and that is trolling, not that a little of that is a bad thing. I do it too sometimes.

For reasons unbeknown to me BM likes to get on me and has for years now.

....So I give it back.

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 07:17 PM
There's a difference. Calling Kyle Orton trash is just trolling after his performances.

he's 2-4 and has thrown for a ton of yards ....BFD.

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 07:20 PM
it's been fun guys.....I'm off to the Gym.

,maybe I'll give a **** when I get back

SouthStndJunkie
10-21-2010, 07:21 PM
it's been fun guys.....I'm off to the Gym.

,maybe I'll give a **** when I get back

Say hello to ben dog and don't pick up the soap.

Garcia Bronco
10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
What do you mean I don't remember anything and who are you anyway?

Ummm...we've all been posting in the same place....for like a decade...

Drek
10-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Deal with it.

As the saying goes: opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Just giving an opinion adds nothing to the board. Giving a take and backing it up with some legit reasoning is what gives this board life.

baja
10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Ummm...we've all been posting in the same place....for like a decade...

Ain't that some shiit! ;D

bronco militia
10-21-2010, 09:26 PM
maybe baja didn't get my orton pic and caption....I (kyle) was making fun of plummer

bottom line, some of you guys are wound too tight about our broncos. that's ok. I used to be that way.

I can't help but laugh at the broncos misfortunes anymore since Elway retired.