PDA

View Full Version : First live Broncos game help needed

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I am going to my first ever live Broncos game for the Chiefs game november 14 funded by the missus.

Is there a hotel with airport shuttle service close to the stadium or downtown that has reasonable prices?

How do I get in on some tailgating, being at my first game I want to do it right and I figure that includes tailgating, who should I talk to and when and where should I be? I won't have a car so is there anything I should bring that I can carry?

Hoping for a bit of help to make it unforgetable, the first time always should be.

baja
10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
is this a poll?

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
is this a poll?

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Popps
10-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Meck will have the best answers, but when my wife and I went... we just drove the rental down to the parking lot early, parked and started walking around, tailgating. People will be out early, in force. Tons of stuff to do and look at. I know it's not Mile High, but it really is a beautiful stadium and extremely user-friendly. I didn't find traffic in and out to be the nightmare it is at other stadiums, either.

You're going to love it.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
If the Danish guy is flying 6,000 miles for a game, ive really run out of excuses...maybe next year

Flex Gunmetal
10-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I am going to my first ever live Broncos game for the Chiefs game november 14 funded by the missus.

Is there a hotel with airport shuttle service close to the stadium or downtown that has reasonable prices?

How do I get in on some tailgating, being at my first game I want to do it right and I figure that includes tailgating, who should I talk to and when and where should I be? I won't have a car so is there anything I should bring that I can carry?

Hoping for a bit of help to make it unforgetable, the first time always should be.

Just wear some gear and look for fans. Find a huge group and tell them you from out of the country and they'll take you in. Have fun, I may be at that game.

baja
10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Here's wishing you the very best gameday experience.

LetsGoBroncos
10-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I come in once a year for a game. The best thing to do is park at a meter since they are free on Sunday and take the light rail over to the stadium. The other option is to pay to park in one of the lots downtown and take the light rail over...its about a 5 min ride on the light rail to the stadium from downtown

Los Broncos
10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Nice! have fun and enjoy GL.

You can take the shuttle from DIA for 40 bucks.

serious hops
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Just make sure you scream yourself hoarse.

TheReverend
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Really hoping they pull that one off to really make your experience enjoyable.

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Really hoping they pull that one off to really make your experience enjoyable.

That is why I chose the Chiefs game, wanted a win.

Swedish Extrovert
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM

1 - if you stay at the Red Lion, you can walk to the stadium. It's not in the best part of town though.

2 - For more classy accommodations you can stay at the Westin, Adams Mark, Hilton, Ritz Carleton or Hyatt downtown and ride the free shuttle down 16th street to Union Station - catch the C-line (I think its the C-line) to Invesco. The train ride will cost you about $1.50.

I don't know about airport shuttles, but be advised that the Denver airport is farther from the actual city then any other airport I've been to. It's basically western Kansas... just something to consider. I remember paying $55 for a cab ride from the airport to my parents home in Littleton.

3. For tailgating, I would contact Leo (TailgateNut) who is the man when it comes to these things. If you try to pay him, he wont accept - so sneak in some burgers, beer, or brats when he isn't looking.

4. After the game, go to the Wynkoop Brewery and sample some of the beers there (the place was started by John Hickenlooper, the mayor of Denver and soon-to-be governor of Colorado). If you don't I will track you down in Denmark and force a case of Carlsburg down your throat.

Hope that helps.

Swedish Extrovert
10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
That is why I chose the Chiefs game, wanted a win.

You should try and make the 9ers game... we're gonna rock a tailgate there.

JLine27
10-20-2010, 11:44 AM
My wife and I came to town about 3 or 4 years ago for the game. We stayed at the Westin and just grabbed a cab in the morning to the game. Quick ride and was probably like $15. We went to the tent (not sure what's it called) for food and drink before the game. Great time and fun to check out the early games before.

I'm flying out for the Chiefs game as well this year. Can't wait!! My wife got me the plane ticket for my birthday. My buddy lives over by Coors and we just need to get a couple tickets. We want to to sit lower level just trying to find a decent priced pair.

Should be a blast!!!

missingnumber7
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
1 - if you stay at the Hotel VQ at Mile High, you can walk to the stadium. It's not in the best part of town though.

2 - For more classy accommodations you can stay at the Westin, Adams Mark, Hilton, Ritz Carleton or Hyatt downtown and ride the free shuttle down 16th street to Union Station - catch the C-line (I think its the C-line) to Invesco. The train ride will cost you about $1.50.

I don't know about airport shuttles, but be advised that the Denver airport is farther from the actual city then any other airport I've been to. It's basically western Kansas... just something to consider. I remember paying $55 for a cab ride from the airport to my parents home in Littleton.

3. For tailgating, I would contact Leo (TailgateNut) who is the man when it comes to these things. If you try to pay him, he wont accept - so sneak in some burgers, beer, or brats when he isn't looking.

4. After the game, go to the Wynkoop Brewery and sample some of the beers there (the place was started by John Hickenlooper, the mayor of Denver and soon-to-be governor of Colorado). If you don't I will track you down in Denmark and force a case of Carlsburg down your throat.

Hope that helps.

Its the VQ used to be red lion.

crush17
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Its the VQ used to be red lion.

And the area is not bad at all honestly...

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
If I grab 24 beers before the game, can I trade for some food at the tailgate? I figure that is probably the easiest way to go, I can bring those in a cab.

missingnumber7
10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
If I grab 24 beers before the game, can I trade for some food at the tailgate? I figure that is probably the easiest way to go, I can bring those in a cab.

Just hook up with TGN, you'll have food, you'll have beer, you'd even have a TV to watch the early games, that or talk to Meck, I'm sure the bus will be making an appearance. If you check out some of the hotels actually run shuttles to and from the game. We stayed at the Red Lion on Quebec this last week and they were running shuttles to the game for cheaper than a taxi ride.

crush17
10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
This will also be my first actual tailgating experience. I've been a broncos fan for 30 years, been to countless games, but never actually tailgated.

Which lot does TailGateNut park in?

Will I be able to hang out during the game and watch it anywhere?

We will not actually be going in to the game, we just want to hang out with fellow Broncos fans since we live so close to the stadium :)

broncocalijohn
10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
You know there is a tailgate section with a ton of info and others going to the games. THe most important is to have a sign. Big one too. I am thinking something like Dirty Sanchez if it was the Jets. 49ers are in the way gay part of the country so something deragatory towards them (and include chris and Blart's name too for OM sake) will get you camera time and high fives all around especially from 12 year old sign holders. If you do take the light rail, listen in for some great gossip on the broncos. That **** is for real and needs to be duplicated as accurate as possible for a future thread at the Mane.
On the serious tip, VQ is next door to the stadium and they have a shuttle to lower downtown if you dont want to drive. TGN is there every game and does a great tailgatting. If you want to gamble, there are shuttles up to Black Hawk/Central City and are really neat old mining towns. If you are coming out of a bar late at night, you must buy a potato burrito.

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 12:26 PM
You know there is a tailgate section with a ton of info and others going to the games. THe most important is to have a sign. Big one too. I am thinking something like Dirty Sanchez if it was the Jets. 49ers are in the way gay part of the country so something deragatory towards them (and include chris and Blart's name too for OM sake) will get you camera time and high fives all around especially from 12 year old sign holders. If you do take the light rail, listen in for some great gossip on the broncos. That **** is for real and needs to be duplicated as accurate as possible for a future thread at the Mane.
On the serious tip, VQ is next door to the stadium and they have a shuttle to lower downtown if you dont want to drive. TGN is there every game and does a great tailgatting. If you want to gamble, there are shuttles up to Black Hawk/Central City and are really neat old mining towns. If you are coming out of a bar late at night, you must buy a potato burrito.

Potato burrito, noted.

broncosteven
10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I recommend checking the OM tailgate forum also.

Ambiguous
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Stay downtown and take the lightrail.

Ambiguous
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM

May I suggest the steak and potato burrito from Illegal Petes? Holy ****, that is some tasty ****. Add nacho cheese and thank me later.

Miss I.
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
You should try and make the 9ers game... we're gonna rock a tailgate there.

Tailgate? when, where? Also, yes he should come to that game also. It's peculiar my first regular season game for the Broncos is going to be in England.

HILife
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM

I went to the Broncos vs. Ravens game two weeks ago. That was my first live Broncos game....It was a very sad day.

Edit: Also I like how you have a poll, asking if you should have a poll.

HILife
10-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Meck will have the best answers, but when my wife and I went... we just drove the rental down to the parking lot early, parked and started walking around, tailgating. People will be out early, in force. Tons of stuff to do and look at. I know it's not Mile High, but it really is a beautiful stadium and extremely user-friendly. I didn't find traffic in and out to be the nightmare it is at other stadiums, either.

You're going to love it.

M&T Stadium......Next time I'm taking the helicopter.

broncosteven
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Why not PM the posters you like and see if they are going to the game, this site is the best when actual members get to know each other in person.

I went to a couple OM weekends and the years I didn't I PM'ed people and found where they were TG'ing.

smalltowngrll
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Some great suggestions here.

Another idea, stay downtown near 16th St. Mall. This is walking distance or free mall ride distance to most anything. Take the free mall ride down to the light rail and take the light rail to the stadium. You can tailgate with some of the other maners here (check out the tailgate forum for those going to the game you are going to) and also there is a big tailgate style tent that you can pay a little to get in and have some fun. It's also a lot of fun to walk around the lots and meet up with other fans.

Also, if you are a big beer fan, check out Falling Rock Tap Room. As my husband puts it, greatest selection of beers, ever! :)

colonelbeef
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I think you should have a poll, and I voted accordingly in the poll.

Swedish Extrovert
10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Tailgate? when, where? Also, yes he should come to that game also. It's peculiar my first regular season game for the Broncos is going to be in England.

Don't you live in England though?

CEH
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Just make sure you scream yourself hoarse.

Brandon LLyod said Inseco was as electric has he's ever seen it last week.
I think Denver kinda blew thier wad for that game with Orange Sunday and all

Too bad it didn't equate to a win

serious hops
10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Also, if you are a big beer fan, check out Falling Rock Tap Room. As my husband puts it, greatest selection of beers, ever! :)

Excellent suggestion, the Falling Rock is great. You can't not like a place whose motto is "no crap on tap!"

BroncosSR
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I come out to a game once a year. My favorite thing to do on gameday is get there around 10ish bring a 6 pack per person with you. Drink and watch the players come in. Then at 11, the Bronco Barn opens which is the best tailgate experience for out of towners who can't do a full-fledged tailgate. The first hour or so they have cheap beers and food specials ($2). They also have every early games on a TV so I watch then too. There's always a ton of people in there as well to meet and talk about the Broncos. They usually have some alumni players there signing autographs, etc... Highly recommended...

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM

TGN is the guy. He's a little crazy, but he throws on good tailgate.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-20-2010, 03:18 PM
A few notes to add from my trip last year:
Taxis charge a FLAT RATE fare from the airport to downtown it's $55 each way, which is cheaper than a shuttle if you have 3 or more people.
I believe most hotels will still charge you for the shuttle, so beware of that, it's about $20 per person.

I'm waiting to see TGN chime in on this thread - he (AND his wife) throw an AWESOME tailgate, his hospitality is legendary (as previously stated), food is to die for and he likes foreigners ... largely 'cos we talk funny! ;)

Otherwise, your accommodation will pretty much be a "get what you pay for" type deal, so it depends on what you want to spend. If you want cheap (about $100 per night), I can look up where I stayed, they threw in a basic breakfast too. It was a decent deal for 3 people to stay.

Swedish Extrovert
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
There's a Days Inn right there on Federal and 6th avenue. If you wanna go cheap.. you can walk to the game.

gyldenlove
10-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Really good stuff, I am going to be making a list of things I have to do, hope I get time to do it all.

I would definitely love to meet up with some maners, met BCJ and Iron Clady last year.

Dudeskey
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I come in once a year for a game. The best thing to do is park at a meter since they are free on Sunday and take the light rail over to the stadium. The other option is to pay to park in one of the lots downtown and take the light rail over...its about a 5 min ride on the light rail to the stadium from downtown

And you don't have to deal w/ the traffic when leaving the game! For the most part I ride the light rail anytime I go to an Avs, Rockies or Bronco game.