PDA

View Full Version : Boller Likely to Start for Raiders

Ugly Duck
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
It's not even mid-season, but the Oakland Raiders appear to be on the verge of using their third starting quarterback this year.

Jason Campbell's knee is sprained, and Bruce Gradkowski hasn't practiced in a week because of a bum shoulder. All indications are that Kyle Boller will be the Raiders' starter Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

Comcast's Kate Longworth reports via Twitter that Jason Campbell's MRI indicated a "sprain, maybe (a) meniscus tear" and that Campbell's status is "day-to-day".

When asked Monday if Boller might get the start, Raiders coach Tom Cable issued a surprisingly enthusiastic response. "Oh, absolutely, absolutely," he's quoted as telling the Oakland Tribune.

And if you believe in reading between lines, Ms. Longworth notes that Boller took the place of Campbell in Monday's locker room media session.

The Raiders have no quarterback behind Boller on their roster. (RB Michael Bush played some QB in high school - he'll probably sub in if Boller goes down).

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e3/fullj.94650cafbe7b785fae6c0723163a4fff/94650cafbe7b785fae6c0723163a4fff-getty-98610648jj024_seattle_seaha.jpg

Bob's your Information Minister
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM
What about Bruce Gradkowski's amazing energy? That can't heal his shoulder?

Anyway, I'm on record as saying the Jets ended Denver's season, but if Kyle Boller makes it *official* at 2-5...ROFL!

Brewer
10-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Anyway, I'm on record as saying the Jets ended Denver's season, but if Kyle Boller makes it *official* at 2-5...ROFL!

That's cool. Just put me on record as saying that you're a bloated sack of fecal matter with no friends, that's why you hang out here. :thanku:

Doggcow
10-19-2010, 11:27 PM

No one cares what you think.

Los Broncos
10-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I just hope we don't make him better than he really is, plenty of pressure please.

Houshyamama
10-20-2010, 12:34 AM
That's cool. Just put me on record as saying that you're a bloated sack of fecal matter with no friends, that's why you hang out here. :thanku:

That's awful nice of you man. You don't have to go easy on him.

baja
10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Boller beat us when he was a Raven.

bronco610
10-20-2010, 12:54 AM

Dont encourage the blob!!!

DivineBronco
10-20-2010, 01:45 AM
why why why do we tolerate this awful awful human being.............please someone tell me

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-20-2010, 06:29 AM
why why why do we tolerate this awful awful human being.............please someone tell me

Kyle Boller's not so bad.

Oh, I see what you meant there.

Ray Finkle
10-20-2010, 06:31 AM

Hey, here is an idea. How about you go brag about a chick you want to nail and then have we'll have someone find her, alert her to the site and watch the hilarity ensue....

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2010, 09:17 AM

I'm not sure how being a game and a half back before we play a divisional game has "ended our season" but ok

10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure how being a game and a half back before we play a divisional game has "ended our season" but ok

That's what makes it so hilarious!

You guys still have hope!

It's so cute.

Brewer
10-20-2010, 12:51 PM

It's so cute.

And you still have no friends.

It's so pathetic.

Br0nc0Buster
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
If the Raiders are out of field goal range do you think the refs will let Kyle Boller attempt to throw it through the uprights from his knees?

Beantown Bronco
10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
If the Raiders are out of field goal range do you think the refs will let Kyle Boller attempt to throw it through the uprights from his knees?

I don't know about Boller, but I like to throw it through the good old uprights from my knees at least once a night..... :wiggle:

Popps
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

It's so cute.

Even cuter, a guy talking **** in week 6... supporting a team that hasn't won the division since REM was popular.

Popps
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Today - 2:35 PM ET

Coach Tom Cable admitted Wednesday that the Raiders "have no idea" who their starting quarterback will be in Week 7.

"We've got some issues," said Cable in Wednesday's conference call with Denver reporters. "So, I don't really know when we'll have something definitive, hopefully tomorrow, but today we'll learn a lot, so we'll see." Jason Campbell will test his knee in Wednesday's practice, and Bruce Gradkowski will do the same with his throwing shoulder. If neither shows significant improvement, Kyle Boller will likely draw the start against the Broncos.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
If Boller beats us our season IS over. I'll agree with that.

bronco militia
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
http://zenisstupid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/13uncle_rico.jpg

bombay
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
I remember Boller singlehandedly winning a game for the Broncos with 4 picks in a 12-10 game.

Popps
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
The raiders had the punter taking snaps in practice today...

Lechler new quarterback

With Bruce Gradkowski out (shoulder) and Jason Campbell apparently bothered by a sore knee, there was some thought that the Raiders would sign a quarterback just to help get through practice this week.

They didn't, and Wednesday they turned to punter Shane Lechler to help out. Lechler, who has a nice arm and helps out throwing at drills during training camp, got behind center a few times to spell Campbell and Kyle Boller at practice.

Lechler, 34, led East Bernard High (Texas) to the state quarterfinals his senior year, completing 87 of 101 (86.1%) passes for 1,640 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Raiders fans can go ahead and start the "Even the punter is better than Campbell" talk now.

As for Campbell, he and Boller took turns with the first team at practice as Gradkowski watched. Ditto running backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush. It was hard to tell how close McFadden is to returning from a hamstring inury as the practice was half-speed at best.

Backup running back Michael Bennett did say he was a "full go" after his hamstring inury and the left tackle rotation may be over. Jared Veldheer seemed to get every snap, as he may have beaten out Mario Henderson.

We get coach Tom Cable in an hour or so.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=75050#ixzz12wPO5siT

Honestly, I'd rather see Campbell than anyone. We'll have more film on him, and none of it is good.

HorseHead
10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
"since REM was popular"....

that's friggin' funny...loves it....:kcbard:

Los Broncos
10-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Lechler new quarterback

With Bruce Gradkowski out (shoulder) and Jason Campbell apparently bothered by a sore knee, there was some thought that the Raiders would sign a quarterback just to help get through practice this week.

They didn't, and Wednesday they turned to punter Shane Lechler to help out. Lechler, who has a nice arm and helps out throwing at drills during training camp, got behind center a few times to spell Campbell and Kyle Boller at practice.

Lechler, 34, led East Bernard High (Texas) to the state quarterfinals his senior year, completing 87 of 101 (86.1%) passes for 1,640 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Raiders fans can go ahead and start the "Even the punter is better than Campbell" talk now.

As for Campbell, he and Boller took turns with the first team at practice as Gradkowski watched. Ditto running backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush. It was hard to tell how close McFadden is to returning from a hamstring inury as the practice was half-speed at best.

Backup running back Michael Bennett did say he was a "full go" after his hamstring inury and the left tackle rotation may be over. Jared Veldheer seemed to get every snap, as he may have beaten out Mario Henderson.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=75050#ixzz12wPO5siT

Honestly, I'd rather see Campbell than anyone. We'll have more film on him, and none of it is good.

:spit:

WolfpackGuy
10-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Yeah, because Danny Kanell couldn't hit water if he had fallen out of a boat that day.

Ugly Duck
10-20-2010, 04:56 PM
And you (Bob) still have no friends.

It's so pathetic.

Bob ain't so bad. I think he's kinda OK.

Hogan11
10-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Lechler new quarterback

My God Ha!

Popps
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Just remember, "Tom Cable has done a great job."

Lolad
10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
We make all subpar QB's look like HOF'ers so I'm not going to expect any different just hope we can score

10-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Bob ain't so bad. I think he's kinda OK.

Thanks honeybunch.

Happy trollin!

Dedhed
10-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I would rather face Campbell or Grodkowski in all seriousness. Boller will just go out there and fling it around with nothing to lose, kinda like Jafatty did last year against us after Grod went down.

Popps
10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Oakland coach Tom Cable said if Jason Campbell is healthy enough to play Sunday he will be the starting quarterback at Denver.

Campbell

Campbell

If Gradkowski (shoulder) and Campbell (knee) can’t play, Boller will start. Cable said earlier in the week that Boller could absolutely play Sunday at Denver. Bruce Gradkowski didn’t do much Wednesday and he has missed the past seven quarters. Campbell finished the San Francisco game, but he was not effective at all.

Still, if he can go, Campbell will play Sunday if Gradkowski can't play. The fact that he was limited and practiced some, means the Raiders will try to get him out on the field if Gradkowski doesn’t play.

In Denver, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he knows the Raiders will try to run the ball and he won’t worry too much about trying to figure out who will be the Raiders’ quarterback.

“It won’t change their offense, I don’t think,” McDaniels said. “They are still going to run the football a bunch. They have run it as much or more than most of the teams in the league. They have very few negative runs. They are going to throw the ball down the field to those receivers and tight ends -- that is their philosophy (and) that’s their style. They are very good at doing it, and I don’t expect it is going to change dramatically, no matter who the quarterback is. I still think that we are going to get challenged in the deep part of the field. We are going to have to play the running game a heck of a lot better than we did last year when we played them in the second game, and that’s really the key — we have to stop those things from happening no matter who the quarterback is.

Meanwhile, Oakland running back Darren McFadden was limited by a hamstring injury that has kept him of the past two games. Backup tight end Brandon Myers was out with a concussion.

Denver cornerback Champ Bailey didn’t practice Wednesday with a ribs injury. Receiver Eddie Royal was out with a groin injury.

Popps
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I would rather face Campbell or Grodkowski in all seriousness. Boller will just go out there and fling it around with nothing to lose, kinda like Jafatty did last year against us after Grod went down.

Totally agree. Campbell is a known entity, and not a good one.

Al Wilson
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Congratz everyone, 3-4 looks a lot better than 2-5 right now

TonyR
10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Jason Campbell splits snaps, but will start if healthy
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2010 6:46 PM ET
Jason Campbell was healthy enough to take half of Oakland's first team reps at practice Wednesday. And if he's healthy enough to play on Sunday, he will be Oakland's starting quarterback again.

Raiders coach Tom Cable confirmed that the quarterback pecking order remains the same in Oakland Wednesday afternoon, according to Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune.

Bruce Gradkowski will get his starting job back when he gets healthy, but he didn't practice Wednesday and looks unlikely to be ready because of his shoulder injury.

Campbell is still ahead of Kyle Boller, although Boller oddly took half of the team's snaps at practice. Earlier Wednesday morning, Cable said he had "no idea" who will start. Campbell's ability to practice indicates he's likely to get the call.

Running back Darren McFadden also returned to practice, although it was a light session. If McFadden can practice Thursday, it appears he'll play against the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/jason-campbell-splits-snaps-but-will-start-if-healthy/

SlipperyPete
10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Congratz everyone, 3-4 looks a lot better than 2-5 right now

Congrats? Is this not the same Raiders team that has beaten us in our own house two years running with JaMarcus Russell at QB?

Any one of these QBs the Raiders could trot out are better than Russell is. And we're celebrating victory?

10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
It was over when ...

Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamarcusrussell/profile?id=RUS539462) -- replacing injured starter Charlie Frye (http://www.nfl.com/players/charliefrye/profile?id=FRY448685) -- hooked up with WR Chaz Schilens (http://www.nfl.com/players/chazschilens/profile?id=SCH170232), who broke a tackle and dove into the end zone for a 10-yard touchdown. Sebastian Janikowski (http://www.nfl.com/players/sebastianjanikowski/profile?id=JAN400354)'s extra point gave the Raiders a 1-point lead with 39 seconds remaining. The Broncos moved the ball to the Raiders' 15, but without any timeouts, they could not stop the clock before time expired.

Game ball

Raiders RB Michael Bush carried the ball 18 times for a season-high 133 rushing yards, including a 23-yard touchdown run in the second quarter that gave Oakland its first lead of the game. Bush added one catch for 11 yards.

Key Stat

The Broncos had no answer for a Raiders rushing attack that, led by Bush, outgained the Broncos 241 to 80 on the ground. Darren McFadden (http://www.nfl.com/players/darrenmcfadden/profile?id=MCF084974) chipped in with 74 yards on 12 carries and Frye added a 26-yard run.

tebowisdabomb
10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Get ready for a bunch of the Wildcat this week

Steve Sewell
10-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Didn't JP Losman see the field for the Raiders game last year as well?

We got beat by Charlie Frye, JP Losman, and Jamarcus Russell...at home at the end of the season with the playoffs on the line.

I'm not taking anything for granted in this match up.

Ugly Duck
10-20-2010, 10:57 PM
We got beat by Charlie Frye, JP Losman, and Jamarcus Russell...at home at the end of the season with the playoffs on the line.

heh-heh

The Joker
10-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Get ready for a bunch of the Wildcat this week

Was thinking that.

Bush played some QB in the past didn't he? McFadden would seem like the perfect guy to come in motion in that formation with his speed on the outside, and let Bush pound it up the middle.

Either way, stacking the box and blitzing ought to be the order of the day this Sunday. No excuses if we don't win this game, and comfortably.

Dagmar
10-23-2010, 12:04 PM
So yeah, Oakland Tribune confirmed it, Campbell starts.

Broncos4tw
10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Bob has to feel pretty good to be able to finally talk some crap after a year.. wait.. a decade.. wait.. well, a really really long slump for his pathetic team of choice.

He has to be feeling Preeeettty good about his teams amazing 3-2 record.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
It was over when ...

I looked down and couldn't see my cock because my tits and gut were too big. I began crying myself to sleep at night and eating for comfort.

We know, Bob. We know.

10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Bob has to feel pretty good to be able to finally talk some crap after a year.. wait.. a decade.. wait.. well, a really really long slump for his pathetic team of choice.

He has to be feeling Preeeettty good about his teams amazing 3-2 record.

It's some badass ****.

Riding high and enjoying it.

Ugly Duck
10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
So yeah, Oakland Tribune confirmed it, Campbell starts.

Although its still officially a "gametime decision," it looks like Campbell will give it a go. He's still not 100%, but Boller has not looked good in practice this week. The punter has been taking some snaps just in case. Maybe we won't need a QB with Dumervil and Ayers and Woodyard and Dawkins and McBath and Goodman out with injuries.....

SonOfLe-loLang
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
It's some badass ****.

Riding high and enjoying it.

Its kinda humorous when 3-2 is "riding high"

10-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Best 3-2 team in NFL history.

Dropped pass and a bad call from being 5-0.

Tombstone RJ
10-23-2010, 10:04 PM

don't you need a QB to be the best 3-2 team in NFL history?

strafen
10-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Dropped pass and a bad call from being 5-0.The chiefs are at 3 and 2 right now, and I can't tell yet if they're for real.
So far, I'm not buying it. I'd like to see what their record is in 7 weeks
If the manage an 8-4 record in 12 weeks, they might have a chance...

Beantown Bronco
10-24-2010, 07:51 AM

....and an actual schedule against teams NOT in last place in their respective divisions away from being 0-5.

CEH
10-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Since when is one dropped pass worth 11 points? And blaming the refs for blowing a 10 point lead with 6 mins to play.

Why doesn't your great D stop someone when it counts. Because they can't

Weak as usual

By the mid way point you'll be back to the basement.You and your team