PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have played NFL's toughest schedule so far

The MVPlaya
10-19-2010, 06:57 AM
One guess as to which team has played the toughest NFL schedule as the season moves into Week 7.
Here's a hint: That team just lost to the 5-1 New York Jets.
To those who are still trying to remove their orange face paint, it's true: The Broncos have played the league's most arduous schedule.
The Broncos' opponents, in order, with their records: Jacksonville (3-3), Seattle (3-2), Indianapolis (4-2), Tennessee (4-2), Baltimore (4-2) and the Jets (5-1).
The combined record of the Broncos' six opponents: 23-12, a .657 winning percentage. The 0-5 Buffalo Bills have played the next- toughest schedule, with their opponents combining for an 18-10 record (.643).
Too bad the NFL doesn't use the BCS computer rankings. The Broncos, at 2-4, may have already clinched a top-10 ranking.
A cynic might point out that had the Broncos won another game or two, their opponents' records wouldn't be so impressive.
Still, no one would argue the Broncos recently completed four-game stretch against Indy, Tennessee, Baltimore and the Jets was rugged.
"They are all good teams, there's no question about that," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said during his news conference Monday. "We will play another one this week in our division."
Perhaps, but that's not what the Oakland Raiders' record says. The Broncos' schedule appears to soften considerably with their next two games against Oakland (2-4) at Invesco Field at Mile High and against San Francisco (1-5) in London.
Then again, no 2-4 team has the right to call any opponent soft.
"If you play really well and they play really well, it is probably going to be a close game it doesn't matter who the opponent is," McDaniels said. "If you play well and they don't, you might have a chance to get out in front.
"If you don't play well, it really doesn't matter who you are playing they are going to have a chance to beat you."
Willis finished.
Wide receiver Matthew Willis was placed on season-ending injured reserve after undergoing surgery Monday to repair a broken foot, an injury suffered while playing special teams Sunday against the Jets.
Willis was arguably the Broncos' greatest preseason surprise; he led the team with 263 yards on 13 catches. He was their sixth receiver during the season and had one catch for 17 yards against Indianapolis.
Given the impressive depth the Broncos have at wide receiver rookies Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker have sat behind Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal it's possible the team may fill Willis' roster spot with a player at another position.
Then again, the Broncos may need receiver reinforcements after Royal suffered a groin injury Sunday and figures to be iffy for this Sunday's game.
Broncos general manager Brian Xanders will also be busy moni- toring any possible deals before the NFL's trade deadline arrives at 2 p.m. today.
One more time.
Broncos safety Renaldo Hill addressed his pivotal pass interference penalty late in Sunday's game while covering Jets wideout Santonio Holmes. The 46-yard penalty set up the Jets' go-ahead touchdown in their 24-20 victory. Although Hill and Holmes were tussling with each other as the pass was in the air, Hill was flagged apparently because his hand whacked Holmes' face mask. "That's all it was, was an accidental hand," Hill said. "I was just trying to catch my balance."
Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Read more: Broncos have played NFL's toughest schedule so far - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16372913?source=rss#ixzz12oT0FuY6

Ray Finkle
10-19-2010, 07:01 AM
meh....you play the games you play. It doesn't matter what the record is. Denver could have very well won against Jacksonville, Indy, and NYJ if they didn't make stupid mistakes. You are what your record says you are.

Dagmar
10-19-2010, 07:02 AM
The toughest schedule and it's all about missed opportunities, we should have won on Sunday, Indy and the Jags were there for the taking too.

Oakland are going to pay the price, we are going to hammer them on Sunday.

missingnumber7
10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
We are 2-4 and only a game back in the division.

TonyR
10-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Sagarin, which considers SOS, has us ranked 15th with the 2nd most difficult schedule thus far.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl10.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Man-Goblin
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I just talked myself into 7-3 the rest of the way. Lock it up.

Dagmar
10-19-2010, 07:27 AM

I genuinely believe 8 & 2. :thumbsup:

baja
10-19-2010, 07:35 AM

what are your three loses

Ray Finkle
10-19-2010, 07:36 AM

1 Chargers, 1 Chiefs, 1 Texans....

baja
10-19-2010, 07:51 AM
1 Chargers, 1 Chiefs, 1 Texans....

I'm going with a sweep of the Chargers, they are about to fall apart

Ray Finkle
10-19-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm going with a sweep of the Chargers, they are about to fall apart

I don't see it....

if they sweep the Chargers and Raiders and split with the Chiefs, they'll be in good shape.

crush17
10-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I have a good feeling about the rest of the season, but I don't want to predict anything yet.

I hope we come out and play with intensity this Sunday. If we can come out and play at a high level and really knock the tar out of Oakland, I think that will be very telling of how the rest of the season will go.

gtown
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
In the next ten games the Broncos will play 7 teams with the following records:
Oakland (2-4)
San Francisco (1-5)
Kansas City (3-2)
San Diego (2-4)
St. Louis (3-3)
Arizona (3-2)
Houston (4-2)

These teams have are a combined 18-22, or a .450 winning percentage. 5 of the games are at home, 4 are on the road, and one is at a neutral site (London).

TotallyScrewed
10-19-2010, 08:13 AM
meh....you play the games you play. It doesn't matter what the record is. Denver could have very well won against Jacksonville, Indy, and NYJ if they didn't make stupid mistakes. You are what your record says you are.

Exactly. And part of why their opponents are doing so well (sort of, if you count 3-2 as doing well) is that 4 of 6 of them beat the Broncos.

Schedule toughness is pretty stupid when the year is not yet done. Remember last year...6-0 Broncos.

Los Broncos
10-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I say 6-4 rest of the way, I just hope we win this weekend, one game at a time.

PRBronco
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
We are 2-4 and only a game back in the division.

Yeah, but didn't you hear? The Chiefs have been impressive in defeat.

CEH
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I'd like to see Josh go into Bowlen's office with this stat.

Losing close games with mental mistakes/lack of execution will just do enough to get you fired if it continues to happen like in Dallas

But the good news is 3 rookies contributed with TDs or INTs and another three are starting

Plus subtract out BUFF 5 losess and teams are 13-10 . About average for the NFL parity

broncosteven
10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
The thing is playoff teams have to beat the good teams to advance in the playoffs. Just getting to a wildcard or divisional game only to be eliminated the 1st round just proves the team can't beat anyone at that level.

We are still an injury plagued rebuilding team a year away from making some real noise.

Ray Finkle
10-19-2010, 08:35 AM
I'd like to see Josh go into Bowlen's office with this stat.

Losing close games with mental mistakes/lack of execution will just do enough to get you fired if it continues to happen like in Dallas

But the good news is 3 rookies contributed with TDs or INTs and another three are starting

Plus subtract out BUFF 5 losess and teams are 13-10 . About average for the NFL parity

you cannot compare Dallas to Denver. Dallas is an undisciplined team that hasn't lost any key players to injury.

Rock Chalk
10-19-2010, 08:40 AM
The thing is playoff teams have to beat the good teams to advance in the playoffs. Just getting to a wildcard or divisional game only to be eliminated the 1st round just proves the team can't beat anyone at that level.

We are still an injury plagued rebuilding team a year away from making some real noise.

I agree with the bolded part of the last sentence.

I think MOSTLY the rebuilding is complete. Now its just a matter of finding a DE and long term NT, and maybe an O-lineman. The guys we have on the o-line are going to be better, but injury and inexperience are hurting us now.

The rest of the team I think is fairly set and quality.

IF we can stay healthy to our key players next year, we will make some noise, a lot of it.

Man-Goblin
10-19-2010, 08:40 AM

I don't know who a a young/banged up team like this is going to lose to. But I know they've had chances to win every game so far except maybe against Baltimore.

So with this upcoming schedule, it's not unreasonable to see them to winning 5 of the 6 home/neutral site games and 2 of the 4 road games. Is it?

Am I crazy and a homer? Yes and yes. But I will be very disappointed in the team and the coaching staff if they can't at least finish above .500 the rest of the way.

Rohirrim
10-19-2010, 08:42 AM

I think MOSTLY the rebuilding is complete. Now its just a matter of finding a DE and long term NT, and maybe an O-lineman. The guys we have on the o-line are going to be better, but injury and inexperience are hurting us now.

IF we can stay healthy to our key players next year, we will make some noise, a lot of it.

If there is a season next year. :pity:

RaiderH8r
10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
We all knew this was going to be a rough stretch, especially kicking off the season. We have a lot of youth on the OL and on our D front 7. Injuries have really hurt but that's just how the game goes. Despite injuries, youth, and no running game to speak of through the first 6 we sit at 2-4, and should be 3-3. Again, breaks. But if we can get to our bye at 4-4 with a shot to get healthy we can make a legit run at the division. Nobody (looking at you SD) has taken advantage of the opportunity to take charge of the division. The Chiefs have improved over last year it seems but are getting figured out and will regress to the mean. I think we have better talent, albeit raw, and coaching than the rest of the division. We are making mental mistakes, overcoming injuries to some of our biggest contributors and still managed to put together a decent offense which is, unfortunately, one dimensional. Knowshon showed some flashes on Sunday of a running game that might be. Time and experience for the OL will help in all respects but none more than the running game. McKid has put together competitive game plans (overall) and Wink has the D managing games and expectations.

Now Oakland would love nothing more than to **** on our parade. Can't overlook them and there's no team in the NFL that does worse on an east coast schedule than Denver. How that is going to play when we travel to London is anybody's guess. On paper we should win both but I'm not placing huge wagers on either.

2-4 or 4-4 at the bye is nothing to usually brag about. But given the hill we would have to climb to get there it is not unreasonable to look at week 9 as a new season, a rebirth. The back side of the schedule favors our talent. Getting experience under the belt with these tough clubs, coming together as a team and winning those games which we should on the backside very well could land us at 10-6 after a 4-4 run into the bye.

All of that said it just makes that Jets loss sting all the more. We had that f'er won. A 15 yd face mask and no call on PI was the right call there. Or offsetting PI. It is flat wrong to bail out/gift a win to a club that didn't deserve it the way the refs did.

Boogerboots
10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
To have a viable shot at the playoffs, we need to sweep the division and to win the division outright. There will likely be no wildcard coming from the west again this year.

If only Elvis were here now...

baja
10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

I disagree. The rebuild is about 2/3 done. You will know the rebuild is done when we are drafting for our back ups in waiting behind solid starters. This is Josh's stated plan. He wants his rookie draft picks to move into a starting roll in their late second or early third season generally speaking. It's one thing he has brought with him from NE and I love the concept. Let's see if they can pull it off. If so we will hear the words "Broncos" and "Dynasty" used in the same sentence often.

CEH
10-19-2010, 08:59 AM
you cannot compare Dallas to Denver. Dallas is an undisciplined team that hasn't lost any key players to injury.

I'm talking over a year or two period. Not currently. We assume the team will get healthy and Josh is wise enough to pick the kind of smart player he wants

This game was good for the young guys to see what good teams do. Outscore your opponents in the 4th QTR

2 TDs by rookies, an INT by a rookie against one of the best teams in the NFL. Just think what this board would be saying right now if the ball was defectled or Sanchez was sacked.

We'd be talking division . Not much has changed except the number in the loss column.

I hope somehow they treat the Jets game as a win and springboard off it.

Garcia Bronco
10-19-2010, 09:17 AM

2 years. There won't be a season next year. Enjoy it while you can because next year will be pro football free until the Players give in. The owners hold all the cards as usual.

crazyhorse
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
The ironic thing is that had you won some of those games, it probably wouldn't be the toughest schedule.

bronco militia
10-19-2010, 10:10 AM
The ironic thing is that had you won some of those games, it probably wouldn't be the toughest schedule.

that's why it's an empty stat

crazyhorse
10-19-2010, 10:13 AM

I agree

CEH
10-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Buffalo is a better example of why the stat is empty but say Denver won 2 games the schedule would still be 21-14. I'd venture to guess that would still be up there in SOS in this league of partity

The Jets loss right now hurts so bad because it was riped for the taking. Just like I suppose the KC hurts to blow a 10 point lead with what 6 minutes to go.

Tough tough losses but it happens to teams like ours

Rock Chalk
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM

No, it would still be the toughest schedule.

Depends on how many more you add.
The combined record of the Broncos' six opponents: 23-12, a .657 winning percentage. The 0-5 Buffalo Bills have played the next- toughest schedule, with their opponents combining for an 18-10 record (.643).

Obviously, just one more win would drop our opponents combined record under the .643 of Buffalo but their Win % would still be .628. Even if Denver had won out, their opponents would be 19-16 which is over .500. Probably not the toughest but certainly not as cream-puff as say, KC or San Diego's schedule.

Bronco Yoda
10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
2 years. There won't be a season next year. Enjoy it while you can because next year will be pro football free until the Players give in. The owners hold all the cards as usual.

...and then the world ends in 2012. It's now or never. :P

Harvitz81
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Bad feeling about the upcoming Raiders game. They ALWAYS play us like it's their superbowl and play the rest of the teams like we are accustomed to seeing from the Raiders.

With no pass rush, we will probably make Campbell or Boller look all pro. Hopefulyy Orton rebounds and has a good game and hopefully Moreno's hammy is that much better.

Those that constantly dog on Moreno need a reality check. Sure he fumbled (as has Buck this year), but it is apparent he is our best back. He may not be an all-star, but I would rather see him in there than Maroney.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Bad feeling about the upcoming Raiders game. They ALWAYS play us like it's their superbowl and play the rest of the teams like we are accustomed to seeing from the Raiders.

With no pass rush, we will probably make Campbell or Boller look all pro. Hopefulyy Orton rebounds and has a good game and hopefully Moreno's hammy is that much better.

Those that constantly dog on Moreno need a reality check. Sure he fumbled (as has Buck this year), but it is apparent he is our best back. He may not be an all-star, but I would rather see him in there than Maroney.

I thought they were creative enough with this rush this past weekend to at least poke through that good Jets O-line to mess with Sanchez. Do the Raiders have anything better at QB or WR than the Jets did? Hell, is their offensive line even remotely close to being that good?

mkporter
10-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Depends on how you determine toughest schedule. Football Outsiders also has our schedule ranked the toughest overall so far, and their rankings have a lot more to do with rating the quality of the opponent outside of their record.

Popps
10-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Moreno is going to be a productive back for us when our blocking scheme improves. We saw a glimpse of what he can do when given a little room to run this weekend. (As we saw early last season.)

As for Maroney, he's a back-up. I'm not sure why people hate the guy so much. He had a rough first game, but maybe we can use more than one game to judge a guy's career in Denver? He knows the system and there's a reason McD brought him in.

We traded a couple of late draft spots for the guy and people are upset because he's not Gayle ****ing Sayers.

cutthemdown
10-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Not sure how many victories we can get. It won't be enough to make playoffs IMO because no wildcard will probably come from the west. One problem we will have with the Chiefs is that there weak link is Cassal. Unfortunately we don't scare any qbs. Everyone all yr long will have time to throw the football. Couple that with an average front 7, and the Chiefs incredible run game, and it could be bad news for Broncos.

Charles and Jones are a bad matchup for Denver.
I also think Bush/Mcfadden would be tough.
Frank Gore from San Fran will be a nightmare

So I just don't see a huge finish to yr like some of the homers. It would be great but I think next yr probably when Broncos window opens.

Still though they need more physical inside linebackers. The need a FS. They need a TE. They need a DE. They need a DT. Maybe even a RB and a new center.

Seriously anyone seen enough from Walton to say we are set at center next offseason? Seen enough from Haggan to not want a better inside linebacker? Seen enough from Williams to not want a stud DT? What about Moreno? want to go into next yr counting on him? or maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to redo all the bkup running backs with some younger players?

Broncos will be having a major roster turnover at the end of the yr. They will keep what has worked first 2 yrs, then go crazy in FA.

cutthemdown
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I could see Denver going for a big name in FA sooner rather then later.

TonyR
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
...the Chiefs incredible run game, and it could be bad news for Broncos.

Could be, but the Broncos held their own against the strong rushing games of both Tennessee and the Jets. The glass isn't always half empty.

Br0nc0Buster
10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Charles and Jones are a bad matchup for Denver.
I also think Bush/Mcfadden would be tough.
Frank Gore from San Fran will be a nightmare

So Chris Johnson was a good matchup for our defense then?
and the Jets top ranked run offense from last year also a good matchup?

I dont see how we can hold the likes of Johnson and LT in check, but somehow Gore and McFadden are "nightmares"

colonelbeef
10-19-2010, 12:30 PM

right. have to wait until after the year is over to evaluate the schedules correctly

Dagmar
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
It may be an empty stat, but Indy, the Jets, the Ravens and the Titans are all very good teams.

mkporter
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
right. have to wait until after the year is over to evaluate the schedules correctly

That's pretty much true for every stat, but that makes for a pretty f'ing boring forum.

supermanhr9
10-19-2010, 01:35 PM
barf.. This is like being calle dthe smartest retard. 3 of our 4 L's the team beat themselves. Who cares about our strength of schedule,,, any given Sunday right gentlemen?

Kaylore
10-19-2010, 01:35 PM
No, it would still be the toughest schedule.

Depends on how many more you add.

Obviously, just one more win would drop our opponents combined record under the .643 of Buffalo but their Win % would still be .628. Even if Denver had won out, their opponents would be 19-16 which is over .500. Probably not the toughest but certainly not as cream-puff as say, KC or San Diego's schedule.

Beat me to it. It's probably a better gauge to do this week 10, as their is a clearer trend, but last year we had the third hardest schedule in the NFL. This year we have the hardest through 6 games. And even if we swept them it would only lower to above average.

Br0nc0Buster
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
barf.. This is like being calle dthe smartest retard. 3 of our 4 L's the team beat themselves. Who cares about our strength of schedule,,, any given Sunday right gentlemen?

its true I am not sure I have seen a team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like this so far

hopefully this is just growing pains because it is getting rather annoying

Cito Pelon
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
its true I am not sure I have seen a team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like this so far

hopefully this is just growing pains because it is getting rather annoying

Josh has been all or nothing a lot, willing to go for 6 rather than 3 many, many, many times - last year and this year also. I'm sure the players love it, and that's probably why they keep playing hard for him. He gives them the chance to make plays.