PDA

View Full Version : DJ hits some milestones vs. the Jets

SoCalBronco
10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
D.J. MILESTONE: Denver linebacker D.J. Williams played in his 100th career game Sunday and was productive as ever.

He recorded a team-high 11 tackles with one sack, one tackle for loss and two passes defended.

Williams entered the game as the Broncos' leading tackler with 45 (33 solo) and was tied for the team lead with 1.5 sacks. He is the only player in the NFL to accumulate 650-plus tackles, double-digit sacks and 35-plus tackles for a loss since 2004.

From: http://www.chieftain.com/sports/local/article_1d18f662-da6f-11df-90a1-001cc4c03286.html

Hopefully this year he can finally get the Pro Bowl recognition he deserves. I think he's 3rd in the AFC in tackles among LB's behind only Mayo and Timmons.

TheProfessor
10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
He is the only player in the NFL to accumulate 650-plus tackles, double-digit sacks and 35-plus tackles for a loss since 2004.

From: http://www.chieftain.com/sports/local/article_1d18f662-da6f-11df-90a1-001cc4c03286.html

Even more amazing, he did it while playing 4 different positions and 5 different coordinators

dsmoot
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Even more amazing, he did it while playing 4 different positions and 5 different coordinators

I must admit, until last year I did not see DJ making the impact on defense that Wilson made. I don't know if I was just missing his impact but the last two years he has really stood out. Especially this year.

Broncosfreak_56
10-18-2010, 09:58 PM
He is a great player. I am happy he is finally locked into learning just one position.

OldschoolFreak
10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I never understand why people spend so much time dogging him.

Didn't know that stat overall badassness since 2004. Pretty impressive. Speaks to a complete, all-around defensive game.

Los Broncos
10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Good for DJ he played great yesterday, maybe a pro bowl for him this year?

Or will the teams record hold him back.

Rock Chalk
10-19-2010, 04:56 AM
I must admit, until last year I did not see DJ making the impact on defense that Wilson made. I don't know if I was just missing his impact but the last two years he has really stood out. Especially this year.

He's still no Wilson but right now that's more about leadership than product on the field.

DJ will never be to his defenses what Al Wilson was to his though. Al was a rare leader and even the great leaders we've had since (Lynch, Dawkins, bailey to a lesser extent) are no where near the leader that Al was.

tsiguy96
10-19-2010, 05:22 AM
i like DJ and glad he is here for awhile, the only issue i ever had with him is he misses plays and gets his tackles, but a lot of times (not always) they are after the damage of 3-4 yards is done. wish he was a more impact linebacker like timmons is right now in pitt.

jhns
10-19-2010, 06:27 AM
DJ is a stud and was one of the few players on this team that could tackle for a few years. He has also been selfless, playing every LB position without complaint. I'm not sure how anyone can say anything bad about him.

DeuceOfClub
10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
What about Cutler?

Rohirrim
10-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Cutler didn't play at Miami. cough, cough

Next comes the sales pitch for Colin McCarthy. ;D

broncogary
10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

Next comes the sales pitch for Colon McCarthy. ;D

Fixed it for you. :thanku:

SoDak Bronco
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Bronco "fans" should pay more respect to DJ. He is and has been a very good player throughout his career. We have several other young guys that are currently getting dogged by fans, and in a few years will have great careers just like DJ.

misturanderson
10-19-2010, 08:57 AM
i like DJ and glad he is here for awhile, the only issue i ever had with him is he misses plays and gets his tackles, but a lot of times (not always) they are after the damage of 3-4 yards is done. wish he was a more impact linebacker like timmons is right now in pitt.

While I have usually felt this way about DJ, this year I think he is making far more impact plays behind the line of scrimmage and in coverage than he has in the past. He's the one that stuffed the Ravens 4th down TD try last week if I'm not mistaken.

The dude is tearing it up this year and deserves as much credit as anyone on the defense.

LonghornBronco
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Dude is a lifetime Bronco, I'm paying him the ultimate tribute, annointing him my Adopt-a-Bronco...

Popps
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
We've certainly seen more Good DJ than Bad DJ this season. Let's hope that keeps up.
I still don't think he's a true answer on the inside, but he's played well and is the least of the problems right now. He certainly does bring positives to the defense.

He'd be a monster in a 4-3 on the weak-side where he could just do what he does best. But, at this stage... we're lucky to have him.

The love/hate relationship continues. :)

Garcia Bronco
10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I give DJ a hard time. I still think it was a dumb pick with teammate Wilfork still on the board, but Shanahan was an idiot when it came to d-linemen. He's played well to excellent every year he's been here and deserves the credit. Congrats DJ.....you Hurricane scum.

gyldenlove
10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
We've certainly seen more Good DJ than Bad DJ this season. Let's hope that keeps up.
I still don't think he's a true answer on the inside, but he's played well and is the least of the problems right now. He certainly does bring positives to the defense.

He'd be a monster in a 4-3 on the weak-side where he could just do what he does best. But, at this stage... we're lucky to have him.

The love/hate relationship continues. :)

I have to say, he has really made me appreciate him this year, in years past we have seen a number of plays that displayed just how many times he has changed position and defensive system, it showed that he wasn't always natural or quick to react to the play. This year I think he has really shown a level of comfort on the inside, he reacts faster, he makes plays more consistently and he does a lot of little things well, I see him take on blockers at the line to force the run where it is supposed to go as well as making some good plays in coverage in the flat.

I think he is the type of guy a lot of 3-4 teams like to have at ILB, very athletic and can play a multitude of roles.

Mediator12
10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
DJ has become a solid Professional player the last 2 years, mostly because he does not make the mental mistakes that have plagued him in the past. The guy is an extraordinary athlete and physical specimen, but he still lacks the mental speed to be a pro bowl level player IMHO. He is still not a playmaker, but at least he does his job every down.

Rock Chalk
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
DJ has become a solid Professional player the last 2 years, mostly because he does not make the mental mistakes that have plagued him in the past. The guy is an extraordinary athlete and physical specimen, but he still lacks the mental speed to be a pro bowl level player IMHO. He is still not a playmaker, but at least he does his job every down.

This. It's why I dont give him Wilson status...yet. Im not sure he will ever be a true outstanding playmaker but I think what we have in DJ is a very solid, very good player that wont **** up. I wish he blitzed better, but he doesnt do too bad. He covers RBs well out in the flat (at least this year).

Bronco Yoda
10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
He's still no Wilson but right now that's more about leadership than product on the field.

DJ will never be to his defenses what Al Wilson was to his though. Al was a rare leader and even the great leaders we've had since (Lynch, Dawkins, bailey to a lesser extent) are no where near the leader that Al was.

I agree with this. But Good for DJ. He's turned into a very versitile and valuable player.

~Crash~
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Didn't know that stat overall badassness since 2004. Pretty impressive. Speaks to a complete, all-around defensive game.

because until last year he made no impact plays what so ever ! name a game until last year that he made a tackle that won a game or 4th down .yes all those tackles were nice but it would be great to have them more like the last two years before the opposing team makes a first down .

Mediator12
10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
because until last year he made no impact plays what so ever ! name a game until last year that he made a tackle that won a game or 4th down .yes all those tackles were nice but it would be great to have them more like the last two years before the opposing team makes a first down .

Last year, DJ's 74 run tackles happened 4.3 yards down field for around 100th in the league. He did much better in pass defense with 48 targets for only 5.1 YPA, for 12th in the league.

gyldenlove
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Last year, DJ's 74 run tackles happened 4.3 yards down field for around 100th in the league. He did much better in pass defense with 48 targets for only 5.1 YPA, for 12th in the league.

Well last years run defense had so many problems, granted he was not helping things a lot, but it wasn't the easiest of working conditions.

Harvitz81
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
DJ is a solid pro and border line pro-bowl worthy. He is the least of our problems at LB. We need to pair him with someone better than Haggan, though Haggan is at least solid as well. Our LBs will look so much better when we get Doom and Ayers back. If we could get some talent on the D-line they would all look so much better.

couple that with the need for a high pick at CB to take over for Goodman/Champ in a couple years. I think Cox in a couple years will be a solid starting CB and was a steal in the 5th.

mkporter
10-19-2010, 11:46 AM
This. It's why I dont give him Wilson status...yet. Im not sure he will ever be a true outstanding playmaker but I think what we have in DJ is a very solid, very good player that wont **** up. I wish he blitzed better, but he doesnt do too bad. He covers RBs well out in the flat (at least this year).

I've noticed this many times this year against some good RBs. He's made some excellent open field tackles for small gains.

cutthemdown
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Because he makes his plays with speed rather then power. So when push comes to shove, sometimes DJ gets easily washed out of a play. He's not a bad player but not sure he is one of best inside backers in afc. Pro bowl not just about tackles. DJ could really use a big physical mauler to play next to him in the 3-4. Someone a little more able to take on olineman when they reach the 2nd level.

cutthemdown
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM

DJ a speed player so those stats seem reasonable. With better bigger guys upfront those tackles would happen closer and closer to the LOS. He's good in space, has good body control, but just isn't that great at shedding blockers once they get hooks in him.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Next comes the sales pitch for Colin McCarthy. ;D

McCarthy just got benched last week and is having a down year. He's a 4-3 SLB and they have him at 4-3 MLB and it hasn't worked all season. I kind of feel bad for him because Randy is destroying his earning potential. He's had some tackling issues this year, too. He's probably a 4th or 5th rounder at this point, he's fallen a good deal from pre-2010 projections. Sean Spence will be a first round 4-3 WLB, though, if he stays one more year. If he comes out this year, he still might be a first rounder, even though he's a bit too skinny. Sean Spence is a badass.

Anyway, I'm glad some people are giving DJ the credit he has earned this year and really his entire career. Sometimes people prefer attention whores and loud mouths and call that leadership, but its really not (I'm actually NOT talking about Al, I would never say that about him, I agree he was a great leader. I'm speaking generally as to fans preference for extroverts in football players for some reason), but IMO real leadership is also shown by coming in and doing your job every day and doing it extremely well (right now, he's playing at a Pro Bowl level without doubt) and showing the young guys how its done...NOT simply telling them how its done in a loud voice with theatrics and histrionics. DJ is a stud and one of the very best picks this team has EVER made.

There's a reason he was voted by our fanbase (not just homers like me) to the Denver Broncos 50th anniversary team (2nd team defense, alongside Romo and Wilson). That's a big deal and he's a stud.

I just hope the damn writers finally give him the Pro Bowl this year. God knows he's earned it.

Cito Pelon
10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
McCarthy just got benched last week and is having a down year. He's a 4-3 SLB and they have him at 4-3 MLB and it hasn't worked all season. I kind of feel bad for him because Randy is destroying his earning potential. He's had some tackling issues this year, too. He's probably a 4th or 5th rounder at this point, he's fallen a good deal from pre-2010 projections. Sean Spence will be a first round 4-3 WLB, though, if he stays one more year. If he comes out this year, he still might be a first rounder, even though he's a bit too skinny. Sean Spence is a badass.

Anyway, I'm glad some people are giving DJ the credit he has earned this year and really his entire career. Sometimes people prefer attention whores and loud mouths and call that leadership, but its really not (I'm actually NOT talking about Al, I would never say that about him, I agree he was a great leader. I'm speaking generally as to fans preference for extroverts in football players for some reason), but IMO real leadership is also shown by coming in and doing your job every day and doing it extremely well (right now, he's playing at a Pro Bowl level without doubt) and showing the young guys how its done...NOT simply telling them how its done in a loud voice with theatrics and histrionics. DJ is a stud and one of the very best picks this team has EVER made.

There's a reason he was voted by our fanbase (not just homers like me) to the Denver Broncos 50th anniversary team (2nd team defense, alongside Romo and Wilson). That's a big deal and he's a stud.

I just hope the damn writers finally give him the Pro Bowl this year. God knows he's earned it.

Just to keep up the trend of me busting your chops, I'll point out the "damn writers" don't vote for the Pro Bowl, the fans are the driving force for the Pro Bowl.

The "damn writers" vote All Pro, as in the AP All Pro, etc.

Nevertheless, DJ has been a solid player for the Broncos, well worth the 1st-rounder. He puts everything he has into every game, a solid citizen, glad to have had him on the team.

Dagmar
10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
D.J. Williams "is one of my favorite players that I've ever been around," McDaniels said. Added that Williams practices like he plays.
TweetDeck 10/21/10 10:40 AM

Dagmar
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
D.J. Williams "doesn't have to say anything to earn the respect of people around him," McDaniels says. "I'm impressed by that." #Broncos
TweetDeck 10/21/10 10:42 AM

~Crash~
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Last year he did make a impact all the same it was his first time that he did so. He won one game for us and there was some 4th downs he made and he has made some stops behind the line of scrimmage . so it does seem he is getting "it".

Mediator before last year I was thinking the same no impact what so ever but he seems to be in the right place way more often now .

~Crash~
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM

listen I like DJ potential but Impact was not there what so ever before last year . He always made the tackle but it was always a first down for the other team .

~Crash~
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
this is why the mane is ****ed up . people are not fair . DJ is better that is fact I don't like stats alone . facts can be skewed but you do need to look at the body of work .

Mediator12
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Who is not fair? Stats tell a story, just not always what people want it to tell.

Nobody said he has not been better than his previous work that I could see. However, being better is not a probowl level player, despite being a great team player. Mentally, he has struggled with his play in the past and it still keeps him from being an Elite LB in this league. He has gotten better, and he is a good NFL LB.

Brandon Lloyd was a supremely underperforming WR until this season. People do get it later and do great things later than expected, because they finally get the game is Mental first at this level. This is where DJ has made tremendous improvement over the last 2 years. I still think he can get much better and turn into a legit playmaker once he gets the Mental side to be the same as his physical talent. He makes a lot fewer mistakes and gets to plays on time and at the right spot this year. That is what he is supposed to do. Now, I want to see him be the guy who blows things up because he knows where the play is supposed to go and defeats it before it ever gets a chance to happen. That is when he will be a pro-bowl level LB. Stats do not account for that.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Dag, thanks for referencing those quotes...I went to the team site to watch Josh's press conference today and he went on for like 2 or 3 minutes about DJ, alone. I had a HUGE tebowner. It was awesome..I've watched it now 3 times.

Hey Cut, why dont you watch what Josh said today about him. It's clear that our coach thinks he's one of the very best LB in the entire NFL....and one of the biggest leaders on this team. The people on this board can keep ragging on him, but its clear that our head coach knows his value. He went on for MINUTES about him. It was a great press conference. Thanks, Dag.

Here's Josh's Press Conf:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Week-7---Thursday-McDaniels/0620a5e7-241a-44bf-a057-2bc3c5ed59ad

baja
10-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey Dag, thanks for referencing those quotes...I went to the team site to watch Josh's press conference today and he went on for like 2 or 3 minutes about DJ, alone. I had a HUGE tebowner. It was awesome..I've watched it now 3 times.

Hey Cut, why dont you watch what Josh said today about him. It's clear that our coach thinks he's one of the very best LB in the entire NFL....and one of the biggest leaders on this team. The people on this board can keep ragging on him, but its clear that our head coach knows his value. He went on for MINUTES about him. It was a great press conference. Thanks, Dag.

Here's Josh's Press Conf:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Week-7---Thursday-McDaniels/0620a5e7-241a-44bf-a057-2bc3c5ed59ad

It warms my heart to read you coming with the "our coach" this and "Josh" that followed with more "Our head coach" that.

Why I think I an going to fix you a warm turkey sandwich..... because I'm so proud of you. ;D

BlaK-Argentina
10-21-2010, 08:27 PM
It warms my heart to read you coming with the "our coach" this and "Josh" than followed with more "Our head coach" that.

Why I think I an going to fix you a warm turkey sandwich..... because I'm so proud of you. ;D

ROFL! McD finally won SoCal over with so much DJ love.

baja
10-21-2010, 08:32 PM
ROFL! McD finally won SoCal over with so much DJ love.

Looks like our emails to Josh have paid off.. ;D

cutthemdown
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
DJ will need a big game to stop Miller. Even with Raiders QBS as bad as any have ever been we don't get a lot of pressure. Miller had some lumps last week getting doubled but i don't see Broncos doubling him. Most likely at least half the time they will stick DJ on him.

DJ has a big game this week it could be really bad for Raiders. The don't really take advantage of Broncos because there passing game so bad. There best chance is to run it which is why I think Broncos will give them the chance to get Miller down the middle, 1 on 1. Especially on early downs. 3rd down they probably won't do that.

DJ will look better and better if the Broncos get bigger and stronger in front of him. Add a stud DE, get doom back, and maybe get a new inside backer to play next to him, and he could really look good. If not he sort of has trouble getting washed out sometimes.

baja
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
"Ya the Raiders rivalry is alive and well, all we had to do was watch last year's game" - Josh McDaniels

baja
10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
DJ will need a big game to stop Miller. Even with Raiders QBS as bad as any have ever been we don't get a lot of pressure. Miller had some lumps last week getting doubled but i don't see Broncos doubling him. Most likely at least half the time they will stick DJ on him.

DJ has a big game this week it could be really bad for Raiders. The don't really take advantage of Broncos because there passing game so bad. There best chance is to run it which is why I think Broncos will give them the chance to get Miller down the middle, 1 on 1. Especially on early downs. 3rd down they probably won't do that.

DJ will look better and better if the Broncos get bigger and stronger in front of him. Add a stud DE, get doom back, and maybe get a new inside backer to play next to him, and he could really look good. If not he sort of has trouble getting washed out sometimes.

Listen to this;

It will make you feel better.