PDA

View Full Version : DOCtober vs the FREAK.... Baseball fans ONLY!

phillybroncosnut
10-15-2010, 10:50 PM
So, on the eve of probably the best pitching matchup I've ever seen LIVE, it got me thinking. Whats the greatest pitching matchup you've ever seen live?

I dont remember the exact year, but sometime between '81 and '85, I saw Nolan Ryan vs Steve Carlton at the Vet, LIVE. It obviously wasnt as important of a game as this one, but, it's a pretty great matchup. Whats the best pitching matchup you've ever seen LIVE?

OBF1
10-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Sandy Koufax vs Juan Marichal or any number of times seeing Nolal Ryan pitch.

phillybroncosnut
10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Sandy Koufax vs Juan Marichal or any number of times seeing Nolal Ryan pitch.

Damn bro.... you're old. I met you in Canton but I didnt think you were that old...hahaha

BTW, I've had a trade offer to you in FF for about 6 days now. Check that ish bro

bap454
10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
So, on the eve of probably the best pitching matchup I've ever seen LIVE, it got me thinking. Whats the greatest pitching matchup you've ever seen live?

I dont remember the exact year, but sometime between '81 and '85, I saw Nolan Ryan vs Steve Carlton at the Vet, LIVE. Whats the best pitching matchup you've ever seen LIVE?

Sorry bro, I just dont follow bean ball. However I am curious as to who these two greats you refer to are. Thanks

extralife
10-16-2010, 12:19 AM
I didn't know LIVE had to be capitalized

phillybroncosnut
10-16-2010, 12:29 AM
I didn't know LIVE had to be capitalized

Just saying when you've been at the game, not TV.....Jesus. Im starting to think ppl who dont like baseball are grumpy.

extralife
10-16-2010, 01:07 AM
I like baseball well enough.

Taco John
10-16-2010, 03:23 AM
This pitching matchup is huge. I can't wait! The great thing about it is that both of these guys just had career outings.

Funny personal story about this matchup... I have Lincecum as a keeper in my fantasy team, and my buddy has Doc. We made a Cy Young bet in March - if either one of these guys wins the Cy Young, the other has to buy the players jersey for the bet winner. I'm pretty sure that Halladay will win the Cy Young at this point, but nevertheless it's an exciting game for me and my bud.

RhymesayersDU
10-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm going to try and catch some but I'll be in Denver for the game. Hopefully we'll be hopping from bar to bar with TV's tonight.

RhymesayersDU
10-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Oh and go Phils. Besides the hate for the Giants, I bet the Phils to win the NL like 3 or 4 weeks ago.

BroncosSR
10-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm gonna watch the game while at the Flyers/Pens. Luckily I'm in a Super Box so I'll be able to watch both games simultaneously. Good day for Philadelphia sports. Hoping for 2 wins by the end of the night or I'm not going to be in a very good mood, especially when the Jets whoop up on us tomorrow...

worm
10-16-2010, 08:05 AM
You going tonight, Philly? I am jealous. The stadium will be electric.

I have seen a lot of great pitchers in great games. Former Cy Young winners pitching against each other, Nolan pitching many times including a one hiter where I was directly behind homeplate (loved that game!). Vida Blue later in life. FernandoMania. Catfish Hunter pitching a WS game 2 that my grandfather took me to when I was very young against Hogan's 'favorite' team etc.

However, I can't remember being at a matchup with pitchers coming off of two wins like these two in the post season with this much on the line. Will be fun!

I

400HZ
10-16-2010, 10:22 AM
1991 World Series, Game 7 - Jack Morris (Twins) vs. John Smoltz (Braves)

Morris pitched 10 scoreless in case you don't remember. Smoltz got pulled after 7 scoreless.

Punisher
10-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Doc is gonna throw another no no the San Fran line up is not even half as good as the Reds

Bronco Boy
10-16-2010, 10:27 AM
1991 world series, game 7 - jack morris (twins) vs. John smoltz (braves)

morris pitched 10 scoreless in case you don't remember. Smoltz got pulled after 7 scoreless.

+1

TonyR
10-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Tonight's Halladay/Lincecum matchup is very good but it's a little over-hyped. Halladay was great this year but Lincecum was short of great with a 3.43 ERA and "only" 16 wins. Neither pitcher is likely to perform as well as they did in their most recent outing, perhaps the best of the year for both. So good matchup tonight but not quite the epic, one of the best of all time level matchups many are talking about.

Champagne Powder
10-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Tonight's Halladay/Lincecum matchup is very good but it's a little over-hyped. Halladay was great this year but Lincecum was short of great with a 3.43 ERA and "only" 16 wins. Neither pitcher is likely to perform as well as they did in their most recent outing, perhaps the best of the year for both. So good matchup tonight but not quite the epic, one of the best of all time level matchups many are talking about.

There's no reason to be a downer here, Lincecum has proven more than worthy. If you look at the body of work, he's deserving of all the praise he is getting.

Lincecum has:

1. Has won the NL's last two Cy Young awards.
2. Was still the NL strikeout king for the third consecutive season.
3. Has more strikeouts in his first four years than anybody in baseball history.

You have to go back to Christy Mathewson to find someone with three straight strikeout titles with the Giants.

TonyR
10-16-2010, 11:44 AM
There's no reason to be a downer here...

Sorry, not trying to be but I can see that's how it might have come across. I'm rooting for Linc (who does have a great resume at a young age) and the Giants but expect the Phils to triumph at home and win the series in 5.

Taco John
10-16-2010, 04:20 PM

It's not overhyped at all. They are both coming off career outings, including Lincecum throwing 14 Ks.

This is like Foreman Ali of baseball.

Natedog24
10-16-2010, 05:04 PM
It's not overhyped at all. They are both coming off career outings, including Lincecum throwing 14 Ks.

Agreed...

And Lincecum's overall numbers may be down this year, but thats irrelevant because he is red hot right now. When he brings his A game there is no doubt he is one of the best. This is really an awesome matchup, wish it wasn't on a football day...

broncosteven
10-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I saw Dave Stewart and Black Jack McDowell in the 1993 ALCS. Stewart was a beast and Paul Molitor killed us that day. I was sad for the loss but that was likely the most exciting game I saw. That was the day Frank Thomas earned the nickname Big Skirt because he had a bruise on his arm from running into a rail and didn't want to play because he thought a healthy Dan Pasqua was better than a 70% Frank Thomas when in fact a 1% Frank Thomas would be better than Dan Pasqua.

/end Dan Pasqua rant.

LRtagger
10-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Man this ump behind the plate sucks. Squeezing the zone on a hyped up pitcher's duel. What a douche.

ghwk
10-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Doc is gonna throw another no no the San Fran line up is not even half as good as the Reds

WRONG! !Booya!

loborugger
10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Both 8 hole hitters going yard? Who woulda guessed that...

TonyR
10-16-2010, 08:57 PM

LOL Ali-Foreman? Too funny. My exact words were "a little over-hyped" and I was 100% correct.

TonyR
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
...expect the Phils to triumph at home...

Here's where I was wrong. Great win for the Giants!

SoCalBronco
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I saw Dave Stewart and Black Jack McDowell in the 1993 ALCS. Stewart was a beast and Paul Molitor killed us that day. I was sad for the loss but that was likely the most exciting game I saw. That was the day Frank Thomas earned the nickname Big Skirt because he had a bruise on his arm from running into a rail and didn't want to play because he thought a healthy Dan Pasqua was better than a 70% Frank Thomas when in fact a 1% Frank Thomas would be better than Dan Pasqua.

/end Dan Pasqua rant.

All this is missing is an "Officer" Ron Karkovice reference.

Taco John
10-17-2010, 01:48 AM
LOL Ali-Foreman? Too funny. My exact words were "a little over-hyped" and I was 100% correct.

I absolutely stand by this matchup being like the Ali Foreman of baseball. It was an awesome game, and I'm hoping it goes to game 7 to get another one.

I don't think it's possible to overhype a classic like this.

Rock Chalk
10-17-2010, 07:16 AM
I absolutely stand by this matchup being like the Ali Foreman of baseball. It was an awesome game, and I'm hoping it goes to game 7 to get another one.

And yet...you did.

vancejohnson82
10-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Cody Ross backwards is "Sorry Doc"

- Deadspin

Rock Chalk
10-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Cody Ross backwards is Ssory Doc

TonyR
10-17-2010, 08:51 AM

You're fond of hyperbole, aren't you?

From an article this morning in my local paper:

His next pitch was a fastball that caught too much of the plate, and Burrell sent it deep into left field for an RBI double that proved to be the difference in a pitching matchup that never quite lived up to the hype.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20101017/SPORTS01/10170380/1002/SPORTS

worm
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Act II coming up!

TonyR
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Act II coming up!

Giants have really played well, a great job manufacturing runs. I didn't think their offense had it in them. And Phillies bats have been cold but you have to give the SF pitchers some credit. Go Giants! Hope they win tonight and get it over with but I fear the Phils won't make it that easy for them.

worm
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Giants have really played well, a great job manufacturing runs. I didn't think their offense had it in them. And Phillies bats have been cold but you have to give the SF pitchers some credit. Go Giants! Hope they win tonight and get it over with but I fear the Phils won't make it that easy for them.

Hopefully we see the pitching classic tonight that Game 1 promised. I am proud of the Giants. They have been resilient in this Series and answered the bell. As we talked about Tony before the playoffs...the Giants were peaking at the right time.

However, putting the final stake in the heart of the Phils will be tough. Tonight is their best chance....but that is just not this teams style. Winning 3 games in a row will be tough for the Phils but if this goes back to Philly, I can see them doing it.

Having a team out West throw it in the face of East Coast media bias is always fun. You are more gracious than most of the articles I see from back East that focus on what the Phils and their manager are not doing rather than crediting the Giants for playing superior ball.

Beantown Bronco
10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
For me, it's easy:

A nice Sunday afternoon (May 28, 2000). Me and some buddies drove down to Yankees stadium for Pedro Martinez vs Roger Clemens.

Great pitchers duel:

They both went all 9 innings and combined for over 20 Ks and less than 10 hits given up in total. Sox won 2-0.

Pedro had a ridiculous year. Finished with a 1.74 ERA and 0.74 WHIP.

RhymesayersDU
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
LET'S GO PHILLIES.

(Doc!)

TonyR
10-22-2010, 01:19 PM
...if the pre-2004 Red Sox blew a World Series trip in Game 5 -- playing at home, with our best pitcher on the mound -- and now had to fly cross-country to clinch on the road, I'd spend the entire weekend in the fetal position. I'm not sure the Giants can bounce back from that. Tortured teams can't blow chances in ways that remind their fans, "Oh, that's right, God hates us." It never ends well. Hope I'm wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101022_part1

I also really hope he's wrong but I fear that the Giants left the door open. That third inning was a disaster last night.