PDA

View Full Version : DT could play, Beadles splitting reps at RT, Moreno practicing again...

Popps
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
From rapid reports, some notable stuff here...

Oct. 15, 2010 12:18 p.m. - Coach Josh McDaniels said WR Demaryius Thomas (concussion) passed all the medical tests for clearance to return to practice Friday after having no recurring symptoms Thursday. Thomas must still get through Friday's practice OK before he's active Sunday. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 15, 2010 12:14 p.m. - WR Demaryius Thomas (concussion) won't return kickoffs Sunday, even if he dresses because of a lack of special-teams practice reps. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 15, 2010 12:12 p.m. - Russ Hochstein is expected to continue starting a second-straight week in place of Stanley Daniels. Ryan Harris and Zane Beadles continue to split reps at RT. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 15, 2010 12:04 p.m. - RB Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) will practice a second-straight day. WR Demaryius Thomas (concussion) has been cleared to return after two days off. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 3:12 p.m. - No surprises among Denver's practice absentees: S Brian Dawkins (knee), S Darcel McBath (ankle); OLB Robert Ayers (foot); LB Wesley Woodyard (hamstring) and CB Andre Goodman (quad). All have been ruled out previously. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 3:10 p.m. - NT Jamal Williams usually gets Thursday practices off to conserve him for the long season. But perhaps it's no coincidence after a 233-yard rushing performance vs. Denver, Williams is on the field with his teammates this week. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 2:29 p.m. - RB Knowshon Moreno feels good about returning to practice, but it's too early to gauge whether Sunday's a possibility. "I've been doing some things to test it out here and there but nothing full-go yet, so we'll see," he said. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 2:27 p.m. - RB Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) will return to practice Thursday, testing his leg for the first time since Oct. 6. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:34 p.m. - Rookie Zane Beadles is sharing snaps at RT with usual starter Ryan Harris. Russ Hochstein, who ran with the 1s last week, also is in a timeshare in practice with Stanley Daniels, the starter the first four games. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:23 p.m. - Nate Jones played both safety and corner in preseason, and he may do both Sunday. "It can be mentally taxing, but every week I go into a game, study what I got and I keep the left eye on one and the right eye on the other," Jones said. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:20 p.m. - QB Kyle Orton's rapport with the WRs is the best he's ever had, with three players over 325 yards already and a overall 66.2 percent completion percentage. "All the pass plays that we should hit we're completing a really, really high percentage of those plays," Orton said. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:14 p.m. - One difference QB Kyle Orton sees in New York's defense is its wilingness to go small with dime personnel even against heavy formations and still expect the defense to stop the run against bigger people. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:12 p.m. - S David Bruton talked about one of the keys in defending Jets QB Mark Sanchez is disrupting his quick release. "We've got to get our hands up and bat the ball down," Bruton said. Broncos RapidReports

Oct. 14, 2010 1:06 p.m. - Coach Josh McDaniels sees improvement in his team's weekly focus, putting aside both wins and losses quickly. "Last year we were too high when we were high and too low when we were low and it carried over to the next week's work ... and game," he said. Broncos RapidReports

Los Broncos
10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Good news on DT, I hope Moreno comes back soon we need him in the worse way.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
The Beadles news is interesting. Is Harris touch and go injury wise again, or is this a performance issue?

Popps
10-15-2010, 11:03 AM
The Beadles news is interesting. Is Harris touch and go injury wise again, or is this a performance issue?

Was just wondering about that on another thread. I've honestly been wondering about his play for a while, now.

Really, the right side of the line has been totally incapable of opening lanes. (Or the left, for that matter.)

At some point, you have to look at Kuper and Harris and ask about their performance. The reality is that none of us watch and break down OL tape on a game by game basis, so we don't know.

But, the fact that they're working in Beadles over there means there is a reason. The staff is seeing something that necessitates it.

missingnumber7
10-15-2010, 11:09 AM
No news on LB reps, I'm going to be interested to see how things work there. I'd like to see Hagan moved back outside and give Mays a shot inside...Better answer than throwing Moss out there.

Broncoman13
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Was just wondering about that on another thread. I've honestly been wondering about his play for a while, now.

Really, the right side of the line has been totally incapable of opening lanes. (Or the left, for that matter.)

At some point, you have to look at Kuper and Harris and ask about their performance. The reality is that none of us watch and break down OL tape on a game by game basis, so we don't know.

But, the fact that they're working in Beadles over there means there is a reason. The staff is seeing something that necessitates it.

Kuper's play has really looked poor. Hopeful that it is from his injuries and that once he recovers he can play at a higher level. Right now though, he is a big part of our epic suck in the running game.

Mogulseeker
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM

I would if I could easily get my hands on game tape.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
DT - Just run straight as fast as you can and take a couple defenders with you.

baja
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Kuper's play has really looked poor. Hopeful that it is from his injuries and that once he recovers he can play at a higher level. Right now though, he is a big part of our epic suck in the running game.

I wonder if these guys that were stars in the ZBS are not capable of playing at a high level in the current system they are asked to play.

Even what was the best LT (Clady) in the league is struggling. Could be he is slowed because of his injury but it also could be he is not as good in a power blocking scheme.

CEH
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I wonder if these guys that were stars in the ZBS are not capable of playing at a high level in the current system they are asked to play.

Even what was the best LT (Clady) in the league is struggling. Could be he is slowed because of his injury but it also could be he is not as good in a power blocking scheme.

many talkng heads locally are saying Clady's about 70 % but he's still better than anything else on our roster at the moment. I'm not too worried about Clady.

Popps
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM

I'd highly suspect it's the injury, for Clady. Though, I don't think his run-blocking was his strength coming out of school, there's no way a healthy Clady will be a liability in the run-game.

I suspect our issues have much more to do with the interior line, but again... I'm just a fan, not a coach. Diagnosing specific problems with regards to run-blocking isn't my area of expertise.

I just see guys not holding their blocks and defenders living in our backfield on every play. People used to try to blame it on a lack of a deep passing game. (Which was an idiotic theory in the first place.) But, clearly... that's not the case.

Br0nc0Buster
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
McDaniels is just preparing Beadles for the inevitable Harris injury

I think he looked OK at RT, but for some reason I see a younger version of Hochstein written all over Beadles

I also hope Walton steps it up, I havent been impressed with him so far

but then again everyone has sucked, so whatever Walton is struggling with seems to be also plaguing the other guys

dsmoot
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM

One thing obvious about the Ravens game, Clady is not yet fully recovered. He is usually very good with speed guys but struggled with Suggs last week. He was beat on a few occasions that we would not have seen last year. I hope he can get back to normal while still playing.

Lolad
10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
One thing obvious about the Ravens game, Clady is not yet fully recovered. He is usually very good with speed guys but struggled with Suggs last week. He was beat on a few occasions that we would not have seen last year. I hope he can get back to normal while still playing.

The injury is hurting him, another thing that nobody really talks about is his feet. The reason he had good feet was playing basketball, which is of course the reason why he got injured in the offseason. He needs to continue playing basketball when he is fully recovered or he'll lose his mobility. But I bet management wouldn't want him doing that. So I doubt he'll ever get back to his former self

SonOfLe-loLang
10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
The injury is hurting him, another thing that nobody really talks about is his feet. The reason he had good feet was playing basketball, which is of course the reason why he got injured in the offseason. He needs to continue playing basketball when he is fully recovered or he'll lose his mobility. But I bet management wouldn't want him doing that. So I doubt he'll ever get back to his former self

this is very strange speculation.

Rabb
10-15-2010, 02:06 PM

that's one way to put it

also, his quick feet were something I remember very specifically people giving him good marks about

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=1

Strengths: Ryan Clady has continued to progress and improve his overall game throughout his entire collegiate career…has quick feet that he utilizes to get off the line of scrimmage with above average quickness…would be a solid fit at either left or right tackle…has ton of experience pass and run blocking…There are no concerns about the wing span of Ryan Clady…an underrated athlete, who seems to have an excellent work ethic…

http://boisestate.scout.com/a.z?s=336&p=9&c=2&cid=716761&nid=3043351&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fboisestate.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d336%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d716761%26nid% 3d3043351%26fhn%3d1

Prep defensive tackle, who was moved to OT as a frosh. Has outstanding feet, balance, and body control. Came off the football with good pad level, hit on the rise with good hand placement. Good inline power and finish. Plays on his feet. Great work habits. On pass pro, I felt his sets were efficient. Good depth on his kick step. Did overplay and open outside shoulder some. Replaces hands. good balance points. Top round draft consideration.

extralife
10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Why don't we just play Beadles at LG? You know, the position we drafted him to play?

PRBronco
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Hahahaha he NEEDS to play basketball?? /palmface

Hulamau
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I would if I could easily get my hands on game tape.

Go to game rewind on NFL.com and sign up, not wuite like a OL specific film but will give you a good idea whats going on.

Our three vet Oline guys were drafted for the Zone system and Harris while a good zone blocker and pass protector is no road grater. Neoither is KUpe so much for that matter.

And the two newbies while better suited physically for Power oline play are still wet behind the ears. That combination plus the injuries and just the amount of changes each week so nothing has been able to gel are likely all directly causing what we've seen so far.

This group can get a lot better no doubt with time and no more injuries but whether they can be an elite power scheme OL with Harris and Kupe as well as with Daniels ( though he is better built for it) remains to be seen...

Hulamau
10-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Thats a stretch of speculation! Clady shouldn't touch another basketball until 4 years prior to his Hall of Fall induction speech!

jbiel
10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Has there been a game where Walton hasn't got called for a holding? I know he's young but it seems he's had a lot of penalties for a center.

baja
10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Has there been a game where Walton hasn't got called for a holding? I know he's young but it seems he's had a lot of penalties for a center.

Hell he was offside twice.

Lolad
10-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Which part? That he got his feet from playing basketball? Because that he said so himself as well as shanny when he drafted him.

tsiguy96
10-15-2010, 03:37 PM
footballoutsiders called JD walton the worst starting center in football.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Which part? That he got his feet from playing basketball? Because that he said so himself as well as shanny when he drafted him.

That his good feet would magically disappear because he stopped. Its asisnine...there are plenty of drills to do to keep your footwork that dont involve a 320 lb man jumping up and down and tangling his feet with others

gyldenlove
10-15-2010, 03:59 PM

That is probably true right now, he doesn't get any push on run blocking at all, he often gets pushed into the backfield against the pass and he commits penalties at a scary pace. The only good thing about him right now is that he snaps the ball decently.

Lolad
10-15-2010, 04:16 PM
That his good feet would magically disappear because he stopped. Its asisnine...there are plenty of drills to do to keep your footwork that dont involve a 320 lb man jumping up and down and tangling his feet with others

How many times before the draft are players who have played basketball coveted because they have that ability to move? If it was all about foot drills then why aren't players who just have played football not as agile?

I don't think it's asisnine to believe that Basketball vs Football same height, weight, more basketball players would display that ability.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
How many times before the draft are players who have played basketball coveted because they have that ability to move? If it was all about foot drills then why aren't players who just have played football not as agile?

I don't think it's asisnine to believe that Basketball vs Football same height, weight, more basketball players would display that ability.

It's called natural talent. Its not just going to go away because they stop playing basketball.

extralife
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM

that means he is worse than weigmann :(

cutthemdown
10-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow worst in the NFL. That could explain why the whole interior oline looks like crap. Or maybe all 3 of them stink.

WABronco
10-15-2010, 05:11 PM
How would you come to any other conclusion? Sure, the term "worst" is frequently tossed around, but our OL has been historically bad. That's too bad...hopefully there's some improvement.

footstepsfrom#27
10-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Could it be? It is. The lone question on Clady coming out was his run blocking. ZBS requires an entirely different skill set.

Garcia Bronco
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
The problem is a rookie center. It's as obvious as day. He can't make the adjustments yets....soon though he'll get it.

WolfpackGuy
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Trade Clady for a bunch of draft picks.

That's how they roll in Denver.

goldengopher1976
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
The problem is a rookie center. It's as obvious as day. He can't make the adjustments yets....soon though he'll get it.

I'm also inclined to think it radiates out from Walton, and given everything else we're dealing with on the line, I'm willing to give him a pass on the first few games of his career.

TheReverend
10-15-2010, 08:13 PM

It's a shame we didn't enter the season with two decorated, veteran interior linemen under contract to either fill in or help coach em up in practices.

Oh wait...

Lolad
10-15-2010, 08:31 PM
It's a shame we didn't enter the season with two decorated, veteran interior linemen under contract to either fill in or help coach em up in practices.

Oh wait...

Shanny would make sure rookie olineman didn't get thrown in the fire before they were ready. Clady might have been the only lineman that started his 1st game of his rookie season. We went from having the best Oline in the league now we're last

baja
10-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Shanny would make sure rookie olineman didn't get thrown in the fire before they were ready. Clady might have been the only lineman that started his 1st game of his rookie season. We went from having the best Oline in the league now we're last

I agree it doesn't look good but McD deserves the rest of the season and next season to get his system and players to earn a playoff spot. Until them I'm a supporter

Dagmar
10-15-2010, 08:38 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:c-Ps3hfP11teqM:http://srnlive.com/~news/agforum/unsuccessful-troll.jpg&t=1

broncswin
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM

LOL...dipshiat:D

steeledude
10-15-2010, 11:00 PM

I'd wager it's from changing the o-line scheme from a zone blocking scheme that was suited for the personnel we have, to a scheme that doesn't make sense for them at all.

The MVPlaya
10-16-2010, 12:36 AM

http://i54.tinypic.com/2qut92d.gif

Cito Pelon
10-16-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm wondering why the staff threw Goodman in at Balt. He clearly wasn't ready to start since he lasted only one series, and is out this week. Same with Harris last year, he came back from the toe injury, started and lasted a quarter, was out for the rest of the year.

And Harris may not have been ready to start at Balt, so I guess the message is to the vets that they won't lose their job due to injury.

The MVPlaya
10-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm wondering why the staff threw Goodman in at Balt. He clearly wasn't ready to start since he lasted only one series, and is out this week. Same with Harris last year, he came back from the toe injury, started and lasted a quarter, was out for the rest of the year.

And Harris may not have been ready to start at Balt, so I guess the message is to the vets that they won't lose their job due to injury.

It seems as if they're being extra careful this year actually. And from what it sounds like, he had a good week of practice according to the staff (practiced every day).

Coach says, they won't ever start a player where they don't think they can't make it through the whole game because of injury.

Drek
10-16-2010, 03:17 AM

Oh wait...

Are you implying that keeping Hamilton and Weigman would've helped the interior OL at all? Because both of them were absolutely horrible last year as well.

Now if you're suggesting that maybe we should have signed up Kevin Mawae I'd agree completely. Or kicked the tires on a trade for Hartwig early in camp when the Steelers bumped him out of the starting lineup. Something like that.

Both are currently still available too. But McDaniels seems content to let Walton develop through a trial by fire method. He's definitely improving, it just isn't a straight uphill climb. He has his good weeks and bad weeks.

Most years I'd love a week 9 bye, but for this year I really wish we had it a month sooner.

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Are you implying that keeping Hamilton and Weigman would've helped the interior OL at all? Because both of them were absolutely horrible last year as well.

That's exactly what I'm implying. And if you think we couldn't use them right now as starters, let alone to help develop the young guys, then you're insane.

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
That's exactly what I'm implying. And if you think we couldn't use them right now as starters, let alone to help develop the young guys, then you're insane.

Wiegmann maybe, but Hamilton was pathetic last year and couldn't even hold off Hochstein to keep his starting job.

Cito Pelon
10-16-2010, 06:01 PM

It was a roll of the dice in order to keep some younger guys on the roster. If they kept Weigmann & Hamilton, then obviously they wouldn't have roster spots for younger guys. Rolling the dice on younger guys hoping they'll produce is not insane.

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Wiegmann maybe, but Hamilton was pathetic last year and couldn't even hold off Hochstein to keep his starting job.

Oddly enough, that event coincides with the start of our OL woes.

It was a roll of the dice in order to keep some younger guys on the roster. If they kept Weigmann & Hamilton, then obviously they wouldn't have roster spots for younger guys. Rolling the dice on younger guys hoping they'll produce is not insane.

Hochstein and Daniels. Nuff said.

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Oddly enough, that event coincides with the start of our OL woes. I disagree with that Rev. We really started to implode against the Ravens (when we lost Harris) and then got stomped by the Steelers. Those games were November 1st and 9th, respectively, and Hamilton wasn't officially benched until the 11th.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13764502

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I disagree with that Rev. We really started to implode against the Ravens (when we lost Harris) and then got stomped by the Steelers. Those games were November 1st and 9th, respectively, and Hamilton wasn't officially benched until the 11th.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13764502

I think quality of opponent's defense might have something to do with that...

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I think quality of opponent's defense might have something to do with that...

Of course, but those were still games that Hamilton started and was beaten badly in. He didn't exactly do too well against Wilfork either.

Hochstein certainly isn't starter quality but he does have the size and strength advantage over Hamilton plus he's played every offensive line spot and then some going back to his New England days so hopefully he's passing that on to the rookies.

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Of course, but those were still games that Hamilton started and was beaten badly in. He didn't exactly do too well against Wilfork either.

Hochstein certainly isn't starter quality but he does have the size and strength advantage over Hamilton plus he's played every offensive line spot and then some going back to his New England days so hopefully he's passing that on to the rookies.

So your big point is that he was beaten by Wilfork, Hampton and Ngata?

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2010, 08:00 PM
So your big point is that he was beaten by Wilfork, Hampton and Ngata?

Among others, and beaten so badly that Josh and company apparently felt that Hochstein would provide better blocking.

strafen
10-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow worst in the NFL. That could explain why the whole interior oline looks like crap. Or maybe all 3 of them stink.

Is this line so bad, or could they be unfit for this system?
Apparently they're not doing too well in the PBS...

Steve Sewell
10-16-2010, 08:40 PM

/facepalm

You either have good feet or you don't. He gets plenty of footwork practice as a professional football player.

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Among others, and beaten so badly that Josh and company apparently felt that Hochstein would provide better blocking.

And that's been working out swimmingly.

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2010, 09:13 PM
And that's been working out swimmingly.

You don't think Hochstein was a substantial improvement over Hamilton last year?

Cito Pelon
10-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Oddly enough, that event coincides with the start of our OL woes.

Hochstein and Daniels. Nuff said.

Youch. I see your point.

TheReverend
10-16-2010, 10:08 PM
You don't think Hochstein was a substantial improvement over Hamilton last year?

Not even close... that's like saying HIV is a substantial improvement over herpes.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Not even close... that's like saying HIV is a substantial improvement over herpes.

Or that Wendy's is an improvement over fast food. That would be slightly more accurate.

In fact, my buddy Adam Cayton-Holland had a joke about this very thing. "Wendy's new slogan is "it's not fast food. It's Wendy's." Which is sort of like saying "it's not cancer. It's testicular cancer."

Drek
10-17-2010, 06:26 AM

Really? Because I've watched Ben Hamilton get his ass rag dolled into the pocket for the last four years (one removed for the concussion) and not once did I think "damn, that is some NFL starting level pass pro right there!"

They both sucked last year. They aren't good at man blocking so its not entirely on them, but this is not a zone team anymore. They don't fit the system and they aren't getting better with age.

Just an FYI: Hamilton has been benched by the Seahawks after three games as the starter in favor of Mike Gibson, if NFL.com is anything to go by.

Again, if you'd pose the argument that maybe we should've looked to invest in some veterans who fit the system, like say Mawae, Weigman, or big Bobbie Williams (who Cincy let sit out as a FA for a while and ultimately resigned for <$3M per for two years) then I'm right there with you. We brought Mawae in at one point and I'm still wondering why we didn't sign him (unless his blackballed theory is true).

But young OL who started a ton in college do pick up the game faster than almost any other position and Walton is making progress, as is Beadles. I would have preferred some veterans but I can also see why McDaniels is pushing the youth movement out of the gate. Its going to happen sooner than later no matter what, and he can't really control losing an entire pre-season of chemistry building due to injuries.