PDA

View Full Version : Merriman put on "minor IR" will be released when healthy

BMarsh615
10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Chargers LB Shawne Merriman on IR with a “minor-injury designation,” so he must be released by the team when he becomes healthy.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/27257856695

BMarsh615
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Because it's a minor injury designation for Shawne Merriman (less than six weeks), the team has to cut him when/if he gets healthy.

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/27258410797

Distinction to be made here: Shawne Merriman can play again this season for another team. But he is finished in San Diego.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/27258466478

Beantown Bronco
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
He's got a bad case of "David Boston-itis"

Ray Finkle
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
better than Moss...bring him in.

boltaneer
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
The invisible man. Seeya Shawne.

McDman
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
As much as I hate the focker, we are in dire need of an OLB, probably should take a look.

Popps
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
No juice = no dice.

underrated29
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
have to agree. merriman is better than moss without the needles. We need him sadly. Cant he just break his knee and be out of football forever so we dont have to have a look. I like hating him better.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
As much as I hate the focker, we are in dire need of an OLB, probably should take a look.

Yeah, or at least kick the tires. The Broncos have no one at this point.

bronco0608
10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
lights out!

Popps
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
How long until he's available?

Highly unlikely we look at him.

A. He's been awful.
B. Ayers and Doom will be back at 100% by next season. 3 would be a log-jam.
C. He probably wants a ridiculous salary.

Traveler
10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Dude has done nothing since being caught for juicing. Are we really that desparate?

He's been little, if any, help to the Sparklers lately. What's makes folk think he'll do better here if we were to somehow get him?

RaiderH8r
10-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Dude has done nothing since being caught for juicing. Are we really that desparate?

He's been little, if any, help to the Sparklers lately. What's makes folk think he'll do better here if we were to somehow get him?

Yes. Yes we are. At this point if Merriman wants on the club his best bet is to get a day job working a cell phone kiosk in the mall. Wait. No, that's where we get our running backs. Our LBs will come from that small, select group of lucky individuals currently working the cart corrals at King Soopers.

Popps
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/jarvismoss.jpg

BigPlayShay
10-13-2010, 11:10 AM
As much as I hate the ****er, I would hope that we would at least work him out.

zdoor
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
You know we'd get 2 strong games against the chuggers if he's healthy. It'd be worth it for a year if he was reasonable. There is not a lot to lose and it's not like there are a ton of options out there...

Traveler
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
:kiddingmeSometimes this board amazes me!:ouwknow:

For years, Merriman was derided for juicing by many here on the Mane. He's done nothing since being caught. Another injured player who's on the downside of his career.

Now, it would be okay for some here if we were to possibly acquire him.:confuzzle

OBF1
10-13-2010, 11:26 AM
just say NO

Rock Chalk
10-13-2010, 11:32 AM

For years, Merriman was derided for juicing by many here on the Mane. He's done nothing since being caught. Another injured player who's on the downside of his career.

Now, it would be okay for some here if we were to possibly acquire him.:confuzzle

You are right of course, but you might also be in a bit of denial about the current state of the outside linebackers. Even an invisible Merriman is better than Moss and the team is in dire straits right now.

I don't want to bring him here because he is a juicer but the team damn sure needs to do SOMETHING.

Dagmar
10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Simple, we can see how the OLBs step up in the next couple of weeks, if they are as terrible as expected then we'll be in dire straits. Only in that situation, which may become likely, should we consider it.

tsiguy96
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
You are right of course, but you might also be in a bit of denial about the current state of the outside linebackers. Even an invisible Merriman is better than Moss and the team is in dire straits right now.

I don't want to bring him here because he is a juicer but the team damn sure needs to do SOMETHING.

im really not sure he is better than moss. hes literally been a non factor in football for 2 years.

Boogerboots
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
As much as I dislike the subject player and the drama that he brings in tow... Shaw-né may be worth bringing in. Of course this is all pending on his physical state (how much longer he remains out) and our position in the standings at that point may make this decision moot.

But hey... we brought on the likes of Dale Carter at one time... who knows?!

_Oro_
10-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Just say no to this thread.

Popps
10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
The other issue is, he won't be released for 6 weeks, I'm guessing. SD is going to **** with him in every way they can.

Not that I really want it to happen, but the odds are almost zero, imo.

In 6 weeks, he'll wind up a Raider or a Bengal.

boltaneer
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
If Merriman had anything left in the tank, he certainly didn't show it and the Chargers wouldn't let him go like this for nothing. It's not like they're stacked with pass rushers right now.

400HZ
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
He's only played like 20 snaps this year. He has some sort of chronic problem with one of his achilles tendons being too long or something like that. He spent the entire offseason training with a boot on. Kevin Mawae ended Shawne's effective career back in 2007 and he is now worthless.

Los Broncos
10-13-2010, 12:13 PM
The other issue is, he won't be released for 6 weeks, I'm guessing. SD is going to **** with him in every way they can.

Not that I really want it to happen, but the odds are almost zero, imo.

In 6 weeks, he'll wind up a Raider or a Bengal.

Think the Pats take a chance on him?

illbroncsfn
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I would kick the tires on him- what is the harm?

Zoobie
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
That's what he gets for cheating, now he'll be lucky to make veteran's minimum or make a roster at all.

Br0nc0Buster
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
lol at the people suggesting to bring him in

he has been absolute garbage since they took away his roids
on top of that he is just a huge douchebag

we already have one crappy OLB, no need to bring in another one

Beantown Bronco
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I would kick the tires on him- what is the harm?

Locker room chemistry for one. McD has gone to great lengths to get "his type" of player in here and I can't see how even bringing him in for a quick look would help him sell that goal, much less further it.

ColoradoDarin
10-13-2010, 12:32 PM
1. He sucks without the roids
2. He sucks without the roids
3. He sucks without the roids
4. He sucks without the roids
5. He just plain sucks

Pass.

Bahshay
10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Locker room chemistry for one. McD has gone to great lengths to get "his type" of player in here and I can't see how even bringing him in for a quick look would help him sell that goal, much less further it.

This. We currently have crappy OLBs with good attitudes. Merriman is a crappy OLB with a bad attitude. What is the purpose in signing him?

JJJ
10-13-2010, 12:58 PM
He will be a Raven before the year end. Take it to the bank.

Mogulseeker
10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Time to bring in a pass rush?

I don't like Merriman, but can we pick him up for just the rest of the year.

Popps
10-13-2010, 01:03 PM
He will be a Raven before the year end. Take it to the bank.

I'll take the bet.

You take the Ravens and one other team, and I'll take the Raiders/Bengals.

Loser donates $10 to Taco's dumb site?

broncosteven
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Yep, if they brought this Douche Nozzel in they would void all that talk about TEAM players and bringing in guys who are good both on and off the field.

broncosteven
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM

You have over 26,000 posts on this dumb site...

Was that tounge in cheek?

Quoydogs
10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
And ---------------- Drum roll please. Lights out ! ROFL!

JJJ
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll take the bet.

You take the Ravens and one other team, and I'll take the Raiders/Bengals.

Ok, I'll take the Pats also.

Popps
10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
You have over 26,000 posts on this dumb site...

Was that tounge in cheek?

Was this post a level?

Popps
10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Ok, I'll take the Pats also.

O.K...

JJJ - Pats/Ravens

Popps - Raiders/Bengals

Has to be this regular season, let's say.

cutthemdown
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
If he roids up let's take a look. Otherwise pass.

Gort
10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
If Merriman had anything left in the tank, he certainly didn't show it and the Chargers wouldn't let him go like this for nothing. It's not like they're stacked with pass rushers right now.

sorta like LT not having anything left in the tank, huh?

face it, the Sandy Eggo braintrust is missing the "brain" part. who the hell knows what the real story is with Merriman... he might have a few good years left in him afterall.

illbroncsfn
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM

Locker room chemistry HAS already been established by the veteran Broncos players for the 2010-11 season. Either Merriman can play or he can not. Our issue is a glaring lack of proficient OLB'ers... To me this is a low risk/albeit not a highly probably reward scenario.

I would hope the powers that be or a respected coach like Wayne Nunnelly would pull Jamal Williams aside and ask for his honest appraisal of Merriman as a peer....

jhns
10-13-2010, 01:35 PM
We get rid of Marshall because he beats women and will get suspended for a long time if he screws up again. It is pretty funny that some who back these types of moves now say bring in Merriman. The guy who beats women, cheats, and will get suspended a long time if he screws up again. What makes this really funny is Marshall actually has talent.

There is no chance this team even looks at Merriman. It would make McDaniels look like even more of a joke.

Rohirrim
10-13-2010, 01:38 PM

**** Merriman. Just because somebody put their trash out on the lawn and hung a Yard Sale sign on it, doesn't mean I need to take it home.

Missouribronc
10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
We get rid of Marshall because he beats women and will get suspended for a long time if he screws up again. It is pretty funny that some who back these types of moves now say bring in Merriman. The guy who beats women, cheats, and will get suspended a long time if he screws up again. What makes this really funny is Marshall actually has talent.

There is no chance this team even looks at Merriman. It would make McDaniels look like even more of a joke.

What if Tila Tequila deserved it?

UberBroncoMan
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind us taking him. He might have a resurgence like LT...even more-so since he plays against the Chargers.

The only reason I'm even saying this is because we're without Doom and Ayers.

Worth a shot I figure.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
ship the bastard a new case of roids, and bring him in for the rest of the season. sadly even as poor as he plays now, he is still leaps and bounds ahead of Moss who is going to more than likely be our starter for the next several weeks.

footstepsfrom#27
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
No

Drek
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Hunter > Merriman. No thanks.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Hunter > Merriman. No thanks.

Moss < Merriman

Moss < Matt Prater

yes, i truly believe our kicker is a better choice than Moss.

Rabb
10-13-2010, 03:11 PM
of course he is, I heard he has it locked up

you think they are bringing in Moss for competition?

Kaylore
10-13-2010, 03:14 PM
He's got a bad case of "David Boston-itis"

http://phoenix.fanster.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/davidboston.jpg

boltaneer
10-13-2010, 03:46 PM

face it, the Sandy Eggo braintrust is missing the "brain" part. who the hell knows what the real story is with Merriman... he might have a few good years left in him afterall.

There could very well be more to the Merriman situation than there appears to be but I doubt it. He has just been useless for the past two years.

LT just didn't have it last year because of injuries but he still showed flashes here and there, something Merriman hasn't done since 2007. But he just wasn't happy here last year because it became Rivers team.

It's good to see LT doing good but I'm not completely sold on him just yet. Yes, he looks to have more burst back but he's also getting holes that Peyton Manning could run through right now. And lets see how durable he can be this year. Recent history says he's gonna break down towards the end of the season.

Boltjolt
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Oddly enough, so are we and they are getting rid of him. It is a shame but the guy is always hurt now so he is of no use. Letting him just walk says quite a bit about what kind of shape he is in as far as injuries.

Boltjolt
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind us taking him. He might have a resurgence like LT...even more-so since he plays against the Chargers.

The only reason I'm even saying this is because we're without Doom and Ayers.

Worth a shot I figure.

LT wasnt banged up like Merriman has been. Shawne is still only 26 years old but since the cheap shot by Mawae that injured his knee, he has had a bunch of leg injures since. This year it is his cronic achilles that has been sore and the calf injury he has that got aggravated on Sunday.

I hate to see this happen because WE need OLB's and to just let him go says a lot.

LT IMO is juvenated simply because he went to a team that likes to run the ball and has a good OL.

Hogan11
10-13-2010, 05:43 PM
He'd be this season's Simeon Rice if he was brought in and about on the team as long.

There's got to be better ways for the Organization to waste money than on a clod like this.....

~Crash~
10-13-2010, 07:15 PM
No juice = no dice.
well hell I guess we should all chip in and buy the kid some Orange juice :thumbs:

broncosteven
10-13-2010, 07:22 PM

I am with you 100% on this.

No way we give up on BM only to pick up this F'ing G Douche Nozzle

Popps
10-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I am with you 100% on this.

No way we give up on BM only to pick up this F'ing G Douche Nozzle

It's a reasonable point.

He has been a head-case, also making it more unlikely.

KipCorrington25
10-13-2010, 07:25 PM
How long until he's available?

Highly unlikely we look at him.

A. He's been awful.
B. Ayers and Doom will be back at 100% by next season. 3 would be a log-jam.
C. He probably wants a ridiculous salary.

D. He never played for New England.

WolfpackGuy
10-13-2010, 07:29 PM
If he can't play NT or LG, then I don't want him.

Broncoman13
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM

This! Moss has been as poor as he's ever been!

RaiderH8r
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
This! Moss has been as poor as he's ever been!

Yep. Merriman is just a warm body at this point and, sad enough, that's a better option than Moss.

Lev Vyvanse
10-13-2010, 08:19 PM
LT IMO is juvenated simply because he went to a team that likes to run the ball and has a good OL.

Is this retard? Because I speak english.

STBumpkin
10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm curious: what good does it do a team to put a player on Minor-Injury status instead of IR or PUP? IR if they won't be back that year or PUP for those coming back after week 10. What good is minor-IR? I've never heard of it.

Sassy
10-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Time to bring in a pass rush?

I don't like Merriman, but can we pick him up for just the rest of the year.

Your avy is offensive.

JJJ
10-13-2010, 08:54 PM
LT wasnt banged up like Merriman has been. Shawne is still only 26 years old but since the cheap shot by Mawae that injured his knee, he has had a bunch of leg injures since. This year it is his cronic achilles that has been sore and the calf injury he has that got aggravated on Sunday.

I hate to see this happen because WE need OLB's and to just let him go says a lot.

This is why I hate the Titans. They cheap shotted Merriman with a career ending injury and almost did the same to Gates.

400HZ
10-13-2010, 08:56 PM

He probably does, but they are at least a year of surgeries, rehabs, and roid cycles away.

Sassy
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
No!

Lev Vyvanse
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Your avy is offensive.

I agree. The whole issue should be swept beneath the rug.

boltaneer
10-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm curious: what good does it do a team to put a player on Minor-Injury status instead of IR or PUP? IR if they won't be back that year or PUP for those coming back after week 10. What good is minor-IR? I've never heard of it.

Basically, the Chargers want to cut him but rules prevent a team to release an injured player. So this is a way to get around that rule and immediately free up a roster spot (they just signed Antwan Barnes). The only drawback for the team is that they have to continue to pay him until he is healthy enough to be released.

montrose
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Has there been an NFL player in recent memory that (it appears) we can associate their success so dependently to steroids?

WABronco
10-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Haha I hate the ****er but hey, warm body etc.

ZONA
10-14-2010, 01:17 AM
The way our luck is going right now, we'd bring him in and he'd get hurt the 1st game

The Joker
10-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Bring him in, ply him with steroids for several weeks and then send him out there for a game and see how he does.

If he sucks, we don't really miss out on that much because our other OLB's suck too.

If he plays like his former, roided up, self then we get one game of great production before he gets tested and suspended.

Make it happen, Josh.

DivineBronco
10-14-2010, 01:27 AM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is a secret don't tell.....but the Chargers are a really really badly run organization........now they will come in here and say things about josh and jay and brandon....BUT deep down they know they have a Megalomaniac Executive Vice President and General Manager who has allowed an all time bad coach to stay on because he will do anything said Megalomaniac EVP ask him to to..........so ummmm please dont be surprised when they do tiny supid things

Mediator12
10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Basically, the Chargers want to cut him but rules prevent a team to release an injured player. So this is a way to get around that rule and immediately free up a roster spot (they just signed Antwan Barnes). The only drawback for the team is that they have to continue to pay him until he is healthy enough to be released.

Basically, it means Merriman did not take the terms of the injury settlement AJ offered him. You can release a player who is injured, he just has to agree to the terms. Often they do agree if they are healthy enough to get a job in a few days or a week. However, this says several things:

1. Merriman may be really injured.
2. There might not be a lot of interest out there for him.
3. That the Roids have caught up with him!
4. AJ is a cheap bastard ROFL!

I like 3-4, but the first 2 or more likely!

And, NO DEN does not need a guy like Merriman on their team. He is a huge waste of resources and time for a team who wants high football character players.

Sassy
10-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Ugh ugh ugh...

barryr
10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
It would be hard to believe they would let him go if he was healthy and had nothing wrong with him. Well, unless he is such a headcase, then I suppose that would be enough.

~Crash~
10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
I hate roid head but I can see why he might not want to give every ounce of himself to the cheap ass Chargers.

ol number 7
10-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Tila Tequila kicked him in the calf. That's as high as she can kick so she missed her target area.

Boltjolt
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I hate roid head but I can see why he might not want to give every ounce of himself to the cheap ass Chargers.

With a 90 something million dollar QB, just gave McNeill nearly 10 mil a season plus the others they have taken care of and way over paying Sproles for being a return man and 3 to 5 touches on offense.......being cheap isnt the problem.
Merriman is hurt a lot and there are other issues AJ isnt fond of that he does on teh side. I dont see it as a problem but he does. Bottom line is he isnt healthy enough to be near as productive as he once was which is too bad since he is only 26.

Gort
10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
i think the steroid issue is a bit overblown here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636523

Merriman used a supplement that included a banned substance. he said he didn't know and apologized. he served his suspension.

steroids don't make you superhuman on the field, they help your muscles recover more quickly after exertion.

the idea that Merriman's career has been downhill since his steroid suspension is silly. it's the injuries that have hurt him.

if he's healthy, we should take a look.

his steroid problem is in the past. that's part of his history with the Sparklers. i don't think anyone would have to worry about him coming to Denver and being another Brandon Marshall-type headcase.

that domestic violence incident with that midget vietcong chick was complete BS. he was apparently about to get his "game on" with two other chicks and she wasn't happy. he told her she could either join in or leave the room. she said no and tried to drive home drunk. he stopped her. she called the cops and faked her injury.

http://www.10news.com/news/20821814/detail.html

i've always been conflicted about Merriman. he was a good Sparkler player (so i didn't like him on the field) but also an ex-Terp (so i did like him on the field). i don't think he's the bad guy he's made out to be here on this site. he's certainly not in league with Lawrence Taylor or Michael Irvin, and he's miles ahead of that douchebag Jay Cutler who still has his defenders here.

i say... if he's healthy, we should take a look.

tsiguy96
10-15-2010, 07:40 AM
is there any proof this guy is better than jarvis moss? any at all?

jhns
10-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Merriman used a supplement that included a banned substance. he said he didn't know and apologized. he served his suspension.

steroids don't make you superhuman on the field, they help your muscles recover more quickly after exertion.

That is the exact thing every player ever caught with roids says. I bet it is the truth this one time!

Steroids don't improve performance? Wtf?

Ray Finkle
10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
is there any proof this guy is better than jarvis moss? any at all?

I disagree....there are many players and things that are better than Moss.

For example,
a pogo stick
a jack in the box
a pudding pop

Br0nc0Buster
10-15-2010, 08:44 AM

the idea that Merriman's career has been downhill since his steroid suspension is silly. it's the injuries that have hurt him.

if he's healthy, we should take a look.

his steroid problem is in the past. that's part of his history with the Sparklers. i don't think anyone would have to worry about him coming to Denver and being another Brandon Marshall-type headcase.

that domestic violence incident with that midget vietcong chick was complete BS. he was apparently about to get his "game on" with two other chicks and she wasn't happy. he told her she could either join in or leave the room. she said no and tried to drive home drunk. he stopped her. she called the cops and faked her injury.

http://www.10news.com/news/20821814/detail.html

i've always been conflicted about Merriman. he was a good Sparkler player (so i didn't like him on the field) but also an ex-Terp (so i did like him on the field). i don't think he's the bad guy he's made out to be here on this site. he's certainly not in league with Lawrence Taylor or Michael Irvin, and he's miles ahead of that douchebag Jay Cutler who still has his defenders here.

i say... if he's healthy, we should take a look.

I would think his lack of the roids has had an impact on his injury proneness for lack of a better word

but if you want to believe he "didnt know" what he was taking was banned, then by all means go ahead

Br0nc0Buster
10-15-2010, 08:45 AM
I disagree....there are many players and things that are better than Moss.

For example,
a pogo stick
a jack in the box
a pudding pop

how bout John Engleberger?
not that is a conundrum

400HZ
10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
I seriously doubt that Merriman has anything left in the tank for '10. The Chargers are paper thin at linebacker right now.