PDA

View Full Version : Who are your best and worse gameday announcers?

baja
10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Who can you just not listen too?

Who do you respect?

Who was your all time favorite?

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
John Madden is the all time favorite for me.

These days I really enjoy Simms.

Dan Founts is the one I can't stand. He sounds like a effing moron

baja
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I always liked madden too. Don't know why so many people hate him

I like Jaws and Simms too.

I hate Joe Theismann. I can't listen to him.

Smiling Assassin27
10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Like: Phil Simms, Dan Dierdorf, Kenny Albert, Cris Collinsworth, Billick, Joe Buck, Tirico
Dislike: Solomon Wilcotts, Tony Siragusa, Suzy Kolber, Bob Trumpy, Jim Nantz, Musburger

TheReverend
10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Best:

Madden

Good:

Enberg, Al Michaels, Tim Ryan, Phil Simms, Joe Buck

Everyone else

All Time Worst:

Gumbel... jesus that was terrible

baja
10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
I forgot about Joe Buck he is excellent

Smiling Assassin27
10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I always liked madden too. Don't know why so many people hate him

I like Jaws and Simms too.

I hate Joe Theismann. I can't listen to him.

I think everyone liked Madden in the early days. It was like bringing that ultra-cool Miller Lite commercial to the broadcast booth. But over time, the act got kinda stale and the quality of analysis went down as the esoteric idol worship and push for laughs increased. He's still a loveable guy but I'm glad he's out of the game now. I liked Paul Maguire in the way you guys probably like Madden. He's likeable, kinda goofy, but says some smart things.

Theismann is unwatchable, I agree. Gruden is very good when he's on and really tough to watch when he's not.

baja
10-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I always liked Howard Cosell

http://thedailyblonde.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/c1.jpg

baja
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Ya Gruden is another good one but I like him best as a pre game analyst.

TheReverend
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I think everyone liked Madden in the early days. It was like bringing that ultra-cool Miller Lite commercial to the broadcast booth. But over time, the act got kinda stale and the quality of analysis went down as the esoteric idol worship and push for laughs increased. He's still a loveable guy but I'm glad he's out of the game now. I liked Paul Maguire in the way you guys probably like Madden. He's likeable, kinda goofy, but says some smart things.

Theismann is unwatchable, I agree. Gruden is very good when he's on and really tough to watch when he's not.

It's John Madden. The quotes of "Ya see, whoever finishes the game with the most points wins," and the crazy Thanksgiving Turducken ramblings where he starts drawing his meal on top of the live game were masterpieces. I'm still extremely sad that those are all just memories now.

baja
10-13-2010, 09:05 AM

You're right Madden did get stale. The turkey leg on the trailer thing was lame.

Popps
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Best:

Madden

Good:

Enberg, Al Michaels, Tim Ryan, Phil Simms, Joe Buck

I'd pretty much sign that list.

Enberg is awesome. Anyone that can do tennis AND football and sound great at either is O.K. in my book.

Always liked Madden, too... overexposed or not.

I'm actually fine with Theisman, too... mostly because he was a huge Elway supporter back when it was en vogue to call John a "choker."

baja
10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Dan Fouts is another one that is painful to listen to.

vancejohnson82
10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
cmon...

NO LOVE FOR GUS JOHNSON!!!???!!

baja
10-13-2010, 09:12 AM
If you include radio the KOA guys are great for Broncos games. If the lag time wasn't different I would listen to them exclusively.

baja
Greise is OK too.

SonOfLe-loLang
Collinsworth needs to go at the top of these lists. He's very good at dropping the finer points of the game when he can. I always enjoyed Simms's wry humor as well.

Goobzilla
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
cmon...

Right here Dude! ^5

Gus could make reading the phone book sound like the greatest thing that's ever happened.

Los Broncos
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Fouts is bad, like really bad.

baja
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Collinsworth needs to go at the top of these lists. He's very good at dropping the finer points of the game when he can. I always enjoyed Simms's wry humor as well.

Damn I forgot Collinsworth too. He is excellent and very well prepared.

Goobzilla
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Greise is OK too.

Much better announcer than QB. His "Grease Board" segment on the college games is actually pretty good.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
cmon...

I was going to say. He should have been in the first effing post.

And Joe Buck? Maybe the worst PBP in big moments I've ever heard. Ever. Monotone, boring, absurd. And I'll never forgive him for getting all faux-outrage when Moss pretended to moon the crowd in Green Bay. ****ing retarded.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Greise is OK too.

Griese is actually quite strong. Very smart, knows the game, would have made an excellent QB coach.

baja
10-13-2010, 09:17 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1x1mvb2W23Q/ScZ3GljDIzI/AAAAAAAAA_w/6_AUnV_ddNY/s400/gus.JPG

RaiderH8r
10-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Great: Tirico
Good: Enberg, Michaels, and Simms
Tolerable: Madden (he'd be higher but he was a Raider and, by my count, that makes exactly 1 tolerable person ever affiliated with the Raiders in the history of the world)

Everybody else sucks (unless I forgot somebody but you get my drift). Granted Fouts is arguably the suckiest suck who's ever sucked and Theeeeeseman is about as entertaining as passing a 12 lb kidney stone. Paul Maguire is entertaining but only for a few brief moments when his meds wear off just enough to let his dementia come through. Gruden is holding back...way holding back. I would love to hear him do analysis like a Monday film session. That would be entertainment but probably suited for HBO. Joe Buck is a pretentious, condescending dickwad in the mold of Bob Costas. I can't listen to him do football because all I think about is his "Post season on Fox" baseball voice. Then there's the issue of his 2, maybe 3 episodes of Joe Buck Live. Christ what a ****ing train wreck. Joe Buck's a tool.

rovolution
10-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Good: Dick Enberg, Gus Johnson (love he passion he shows for the game), Gruden, Jaws, Dick Vermeil (when he did that one MNF double header years ago it was still the best commentator job ive ever heard)

Bad: Gannon, Wilcotts, Joe Buck

DenverBroncosJM
10-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Like: Phil Simms, Dan Dierdorf, Kenny Albert, Cris Collinsworth, Billick, Joe Buck, Tirico
Dislike: Solomon Wilcotts, Tony Siragusa, Suzy Kolber, Bob Trumpy, Jim Nantz, Musburger

Good list exactly same as me. I love when Gus Johnson calls a game he is my all time favorite

Smiling Assassin27
10-13-2010, 09:30 AM

And Joe Buck? Maybe the worst PBP in big moments I've ever heard. Ever. Monotone, boring, absurd. And I'll never forgive him for getting all faux-outrage when Moss pretended to moon the crowd in Green Bay. ****ing retarded.

I like Joe Buck because he's kinda hip with references and he's color-guy friendly, meaning he really does a good job at keeping the color guy engaged and even challenges him from time to time. But I've seen many who just think his playcalling style is not suited for a high action game like football.

Archer81
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I like Collinsworth, Michaels, Gus Johnson, Simms(even if some of what he says is homoerotic), Gruden, Musburger, Madden and Aikman. I put Aikman here because I think he is knowledgeable, but he is paired with a dude who is just as dry as he is, so they come across as boring. Pair him with Gus Johnson and you have a win.

I HATE Randy Cross, Ron Jaworski, Gumbel, Buck, Tony Siragusa, Bob Costas and Dan Dierdorf.

:Broncos:

Missouribronc
10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I enjoy Gus Johnson, and I agree with whoever it was that threw up the Johnson-Elmore team. They are pretty good. I really don't mind most of the announcers. I think Jim Nance is pretty good, but he's better for the golf than the NFL.

The the two that drive me nuts are Randy Cross and McCarver (baseball).

That was a joke, because like two commercials later it was a beer commercial with him in it and scantily clad women...made him seem like a hypocrite to me.

Pony Boy
10-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I know he's not a broadcaster but the Chris Berman Crazy Rant is still whort seeing....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Peoples Champ
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I would have to say ALL TIME WORST IS PHILL SIMMS:

1) moron
2) picks one team and favors it
3) picks one player and talks him up when other players are outperforming him

My Favorites are:

Gus Johnson
Al Michaels
Chris Collensworth
John Madden
Joe Buck
Jaws(sometimes)
Gruden (sometimes)

Smiling Assassin27
10-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I know he's not a broadcaster but the Chris Berman Crazy Rant is still whort seeing....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for posting this, I needed a good chortle today. I love watching these sanctimonious, bloated divas erupt over a problem that, to the world at large, amounts to a pimple on Michael Dean Perry's arse. ROFL!

RaiderH8r
10-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Jaws is a self important douche with Gloria Vanderbilt Collection glasses. Ugh, he sucks. Just really really sucks. "Look what he does here. Tebow doesn't get his arm up to the Jaws Approved 88 degree angle making him the worst throwing mechanical QB ever to play the game. Let's go to more tape. Blah blah blah..." I just hate his guts.

Also Trent "F'ing" Dilfer can suck a bag of bloody aids d**ks. What. An. A-Hole.

Irish Stout
10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I would have to say ALL TIME WORST IS PHILL SIMMS:

1) moron
2) picks one team and favors it
3) picks one player and talks him up when other players are outperforming him

My Favorites are:

Gus Johnson
Al Michaels
Chris Collensworth
John Madden
Joe Buck
Jaws(sometimes)
Gruden (sometimes)

Agree with this!

Thank you for this. I was beginning to think everyone here had a hard on for Simms, but me. I just remember way to many games where Phil was just totally biased against our team.

The absolute worst in my opinion is Dan Dierdorf, another one that a lot of you seem to like.

Dave Logan is absolutely one of the best announcers... of course he has the luxury of describing the actual game action as opposed to feeling like he needs to fill in for what we're seeing.

Quoydogs
10-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Bad

Tony Cornhole and his Monday night love fest for Farvre will haunt me forever.

Chris
10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I like Phil Simms.

Pony Boy
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Emmitt Smith's short broadcasting career summed up in 40 seconds Hilarious!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iGT08DTk3NM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iGT08DTk3NM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Peoples Champ
10-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Agree with this!

Thank you for this. I was beginning to think everyone here had a hard on for Simms, but me. I just remember way to many games where Phil was just totally biased against our team.

The absolute worst in my opinion is Dan Dierdorf, another one that a lot of you seem to like.

Dave Logan is absolutely one of the best announcers... of course he has the luxury of describing the actual game action as opposed to feeling like he needs to fill in for what we're seeing.

Ya at First i thought Phil Simms just hated the Broncos, and I thought well maybe since I love the broncos he is picking on us more.

But then I watched him announce another game without the broncos and he definately sided with one team and stuck with them.

SleepingTiger
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Best: Madden and Simms
Worst: Kornhole and his love for Farve. Dierdoff because he is so biased against the Broncos. Mike Patrick because he is just stupid. Mike is like the Goldberg in UFC, you're constatly scratching your head wondering wtf did he just say?

SleepingTiger
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Ya at First i thought Phil Simms just hated the Broncos, and I thought well maybe since I love the broncos he is picking on us more.

But then I watched him announce another game without the broncos and he definately sided with one team and stuck with them.

its funny how different people percieve different things, because i always like Simms because i thought he was fair maybe to a point where he was leaning toward the broncos.

SleepingTiger
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iGT08DTk3NM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iGT08DTk3NM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wow, is that a result of 15,000 yards?

worm
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Justifiable Homicide: Randy Cross, Todd Christensen, Solomon Wilcots, Tony Kornheiser, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, Sean Salisbury

I find it amusing that Salisbury was let go from ESPN and his career essentially over for basically the same thing Farve did. Sean and Brett should start a support group.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Like: Simms, Gruden, Collinsworth, Tirico, Enberg, Michaels, Joe Buck, Gus Johnson, Jaws,

Dislike: Dierdork, Wilcotts, Theisman, Fouts, Paul McGuire, Randy Cross

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I've always thought Simms was fair to our team, especially during the Elway days, but even afterwards. I have noticed that he's not as positive in the last two years, though.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Gus Johnson:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/imn2Uv3AM84?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/imn2Uv3AM84?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gus is my favorite. He has a way of communicating the intense moments of the game which I think really adds to the excitement, and never detracts from it.

Rohirrim
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
My list is the same as TJ's. Dierdorf makes me want to throw **** at my TV. Randy Cross is about the same. The dude is still talking about what he did when he was playing. Not a game goes by where Cross doesn't let it be known that he would have caught that pass.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Gus Johnson highlights... How can you not love this guy?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB2KOhEceNM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB2KOhEceNM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Crushaholic
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Now that Madden is retired, I can tolerate just about anyone. Aikman's commentary nearly makes me lose my lunch. That's another reason I hate it when the Broncos play the Cowboys...

SleepingTiger
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Like: Simms, Gruden, Collinsworth, Tirico, Enberg, Michaels, Joe Buck, Gus Johnson, Jaws,

Dislike: Dierdork, Wilcotts, Theisman, Fouts, Paul McGuire, Randy Cross

Was it Mike Patrick or Paul Mcguire that had a football IQ of a box of crayons? I can't remember which one, but listening to one of them made me feel like i was a football genius.

BlaK-Argentina
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Definitely Gus Johnson. It's not even close.

I freaking hate Joe Buck, Dierdorf or whatever his name is and Fouts.

Simms is really good too and I've always liked Al Michaels.

I can't stand Collinsworth but he's good.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Was it Mike Patrick or Paul Mcguire that had a football IQ of a box of crayons? I can't remember which one, but listening to one of them made me feel like i was a football genius.

Paul Macguire probably. I can't stand the guy. He's terrible.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
I used to hate Collinsworth, but over the years I've come to appreciate the finer details that he brings to the broadcast that you don't get out of everyone else.

Boogerboots
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Chucky is great on Monday Night for a color commentator.

His former QB Rich Gannon should be benched from the announcer's booth.

Even worse is Randy Cross. I just want to reach into the TV set and deliver him a quick eye poke. Seems he really relishes a Chiefs victory whenever they play Denver for some reason.

I always wondered how Tom Jackson would do in the booth. I know he's got a sweet gig at ESPN with Boomer, but he speaks the truth and delivers his points well.

baja
10-13-2010, 11:20 AM

So is he related to George Bush?

ColoradoDarin
10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Enberg is my favorite, has been for a long time and any Bronco fan should have him near the top of any list, he called both The Drive and The Fumble games. Oh my!

Dan Fouts is the worst announcer around. I'm amazed that he played since he seems to know absolutely nothing about football. Randy Cross is a close, close 2nd here.

Mogulseeker
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
The bad ones stand out... I'm not a fan of Madden. I'm not a fan of Siragusa.

Rock Chalk
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1x1mvb2W23Q/ScZ3GljDIzI/AAAAAAAAA_w/6_AUnV_ddNY/s400/gus.JPG

I totally did not know Gus Johnson was black.

Hogan11
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Paul McGuire is my all time favorite. His word slurring, drunken slapdowns of Thiesman are legendary and sorely missed.

Phil Simms, Jim Nantz & Don Criqui are the ones I like the most nowadays and, as I have said for years, Randy Cross should be destroyed for the common good.

I really dislike Collingsworth as well but he's nowhere near the irritation level that Cross brings.

philiptr2
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Anybody heard John Lynch do a game yet this year? Is he any good?

BlaK-Argentina
10-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Oooh Randy Cross is definitely the worst. I can't imagine anyone liking him.

Enberg is very good too, as is Jim Nantz.

BlaK-Argentina
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Anybody heard John Lynch do a game yet this year? Is he any good?

I have, I thought he was pretty good. He's a very smart guy.

Taco John
10-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I forgot about Nance. I like Nance.

broncocalijohn
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I like Collinsworth and Jaws. I think the worst was Gumbel especially on NFL Network. Oh God how he butchered that Denver game.

Champagne Powder
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Favorites: Mike Mayock, Ron Franklin, Bob Davie, Mark Jones, Joel Meyers, Dan Dierdorf, Dick Stockton, Gus Johnson, Dick Enberg, Jon Gruden, Al Michaels, Gary Danielson, Verne Lundquist, Kevin Harlan, Dave Logan, Brian Griese, Greg Papa, Joe Starkey, John Madden, Pat Summerall (Cotton Bowl telecast is awesome!), Chris Collinsworth, Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton, Mike Gottfried, Bill Curry, Marv Albert, Jack Ham, Dan Reeves, Bobby Ross, Jim Nantz

Despise: Dan Fouts, Brent Musburger, Todd Christensen, Mike Patrick, Randy Cross, Terry Gannon, Josh Lewin, Mike Greenberg, Mike Tirico, Joe Buck, Chris Rose, Ron Jaworski (MNF only, he's good on Edge NFL Matchup), Ian Eagle, Petros Papadakis, Lou Holtz, Trent Dilfer, Kenny Albert, Matt Vasgersian, Thom Brennaman, David Norrie, Joe Theismann, Mike Adame, Tony Kornheiser (MNF only, he's good on PTI)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
No love for Jack Arute?

I like Dan Dierdorf, but I'm biased. My mother went to college with him, and on the few occasions I've had the opportunity to meet him, he's been an absolute blast to speak with. Very knowledgeable about football, though that doesn't always come across through the broadcast.

Was GREAT in the three-man MNF booth, I always thought. And that might be why he's weaker in a two-man format now.

JLesSPE
10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Love: Joe Buck, Pat Summerall

Like: Gruden, Trico, Dierdorf, Fouts, Aikman, Jaws

HATE: Wilcotts and Simms are complete morons. I can't listen to either one of them for more than a few plays without getting furiously annoyed.

Los Broncos
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I like Collinsworth and Jaws. I think the worst was Gumbel especially on NFL Network. Oh God how he butchered that Denver game.

Fouts is worse IMO, it sounds like he never even watched an NFL game.

WolfpackGuy
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Can't listen to: Joe Buck

Respect: Phil Simms

Favorite: Dick Enberg

I always liked Dick Enberg because he announced so many Broncos games during the NBC years. Charlie Jones was a good one too.

B-Love
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
What Gus Johnson does for the CBS AFC games now, is what Don Criqui used to do for the NBC AFC games back in the day. Criqui used to so effectively make a dramatic moment even more classic with his genuinely excitable voice and rasp. And just like Johnson is usually on the CBS third team, Criqui was usually on the NBC 3rd team back in the day.

Hard to argue with the choices as Dick Enberg (#1 team) and Charlie Jones (#2 team) were such great voices as well.

I love Jon Gruden now. I thought he was a foolish looking douchebag on the Raiders sideline with all those phony-fraud facial expressions, which always looked so uncomfortably contrived. But I think he is great on the ESPN telecasts!

Todd Christensen sucked balls back in the day! Boring, too soft of a voice and a really goofy laugh made him unlistenable!

I think Musburger is great, I am sorry to see some people down on him. With Keith Jackson gone, he is the voice of college football to me, and I respect him greatly.

randomtask
10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Kornholio was the worst. I'm incredibly happy that he's no longer a commentator.

On the other hand, I've always been a big fan of Al Michaels.

RaiderH8r
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Criqui and Nance are solid. I'll put them on my list of those to be spared.

Goobzilla
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Gus Johnson soundboard if you haven't messed around with it yet:

http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

Goobzilla
10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
What Gus Johnson does for the CBS AFC games now, is what Don Criqui used to do for the NBC AFC games back in the day. Criqui used to so effectively make a dramatic moment even more classic with his genuinely excitable voice and rasp. And just like Johnson is usually on the CBS third team, Criqui was usually on the NBC 3rd team back in the day.

Hard to argue with the choices as Dick Enberg (#1 team) and Charlie Jones (#2 team) were such great voices as well.

I love Jon Gruden now. I thought he was a foolish looking douchebag on the Raiders sideline with all those phony-fraud facial expressions, which always looked so uncomfortably contrived. But I think he is great on the ESPN telecasts!

Todd Christensen sucked balls back in the day! Boring, too soft of a voice and a really goofy laugh made him unlistenable!

I think Musburger is great, I am sorry to see some people down on him. With Keith Jackson gone, he is the voice of college football to me, and I respect him greatly.

Christensen is murdering Mountain West games on their regional network these days.

driver
10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
best.......Curt Gowdy ( He did some football and was really good.)
Good......MaGuire, Madden
Bad........All the rest.

~Crash~
10-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Charles Davis , Joe Buck , Enberg ,the few games TD did were great .

Dudeskey
10-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I hate Joe Theismann...

I Like Marv Albert, Phil Simms & of Course Dave Logan if I'm out on the road...™

Atwater His Ass
10-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Although I agree that Simms tends to pick a favorite and ride them, he did the exact same thing when Denver was winning Super Bowls. He called a lot of those games and I always enjoyed him blatantly favoring Denver over anyone else.

R8R H8R
10-13-2010, 09:00 PM
My favorites past and present:

Enberg, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Curt Gowdy, Charlie Jones, Madden (in his early years), Paul McGuire ( when he was teamed w/ Simms & Enberg), Dierdorf (because he was the 1st announcer to get me to look at & appreciate the OL's role in an offense), Simms, Keith Jackson, Don Criqui, Musberger (college football now), and Jim Nance.

Can't stand these guys:

Kornhole, Theisman, Randy Cross, Dan Fouts, Todd Christianson, Aikman (too boring), the late Bill Walsh(the most boring & pompous ever), & Musberger (pro- football back in the day).

I'm sure I am missing a few on both sides. :peace:

The MVPlaya
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
best: Bill Walton

TailgateNut
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I always liked Howard Cosell

http://thedailyblonde.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/c1.jpg:thumbsup:

extralife
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
They all suck

Archer81
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
They all suck

Yes.

But do they blow?

:Broncos:

extralife
10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
sure, whatever

broncocalijohn
10-13-2010, 11:42 PM
They all suck

Now here is an answer we would expect from Rock Chalk.

cabronco
10-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Best; Curt Gowdy, Enberg, Charlie Jones, Criqui, Nance, Gruden, Michaels

Don't like: Joe Buck, Aikman, Thiesman, McGuire, Fouts

Cant stand: Randy Cross, Todd Christenson,

Best trio ever heard was Gruden, Jaws, and Vermiel during a Monday Night game for espn couple years ago.

Dendave
10-14-2010, 04:33 AM
I like Spero Dedes, many might not know who he is, but he hosted the pregame on NFL network for a couple of years and then last year was hired to do play by play for CBS NCAA tourny, he now does PBP for NFL games but is low man on totum pole, but I like him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spero_Dedes

Mogulseeker
10-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Favorites: Mike Mayock, Ron Franklin, Bob Davie, Mark Jones, Joel Meyers, Dan Dierdorf, Dick Stockton, Gus Johnson, Dick Enberg, Jon Gruden, Al Michaels, Gary Danielson, Verne Lundquist, Kevin Harlan, Dave Logan, Brian Griese, Greg Papa, Joe Starkey, John Madden, Pat Summerall (Cotton Bowl telecast is awesome!), Chris Collinsworth, Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton, Mike Gottfried, Bill Curry, Marv Albert, Jack Ham, Dan Reeves, Bobby Ross, Jim Nantz

Despise: Dan Fouts, Brent Musburger, Todd Christensen, Mike Patrick, Randy Cross, Terry Gannon, Josh Lewin, Mike Greenberg, Mike Tirico, Joe Buck, Chris Rose, Ron Jaworski (MNF only, he's good on Edge NFL Matchup), Ian Eagle, Petros Papadakis, Lou Holtz, Trent Dilfer, Kenny Albert, Matt Vasgersian, Thom Brennaman, David Norrie, Joe Theismann, Mike Adame, Tony Kornheiser (MNF only, he's good on PTI)

Jon Gruden is awesome.

Mogulseeker
10-14-2010, 05:09 AM
Quick question: what do you guys see in John Madden?

The dude is a fat glutton with an annoying voice and the uncanny ability to state the obvious... and then repeat himself over and over. I'm surprised he is a super bowl winning coach, as he doesn't seem to know as much about the game as most other announcers.

Dennis Miller was better than John Madden.

B-Love
10-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I know he is not calling games, but whenever Lou "Daffy Duck" Holtz is lisping, spitting and gurgling his way through a rant in the ESPN studios, I laugh my ass off.

Missouribronc
10-14-2010, 06:24 AM
I know he is not calling games, but whenever Lou "Daffy Duck" Holtz is lisping, spitting and gurgling his way through a rant in the ESPN studios, I laugh my ass off.

That is pretty bad, isn't it?

Mediator12
10-14-2010, 06:38 AM
I turn off the volume as it just gets on my nerves and the commercials get so damn annoying by the fifth week in a row. Also, it does not taint what I am looking at.

Seriously though, I love Playbook. My all time favorite show. It is on 4 times a week and all their guys give great takes on the game PLUS they show NFL game film to the masses.... They really need to do a show like this for each team in their own market. Fans might learn something.

BroncoLifer
10-14-2010, 09:21 AM
The best gameday announcer I've ever seen was, amazingly, Deion Sanders. I saw him do an NFL network game once and he was by far the most insightful analyst on the game ever.

For example, at one point he said "this should be a down and in to the left side" as the quarterback was going through his signals. An then down and in to the left was exactly what happened. Deion then explained in detail how he could tell what coverage the defense was in and what the DBs would do at the snap because of the way the corner and safety were lined up and that he figured both the QB and WR could see the same thing and would make that adjustment.

It was VERY impressive and went to show part of the reason he was an all-time great player.

boltaneer
10-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Best: Tim Ryan, Gus Johnson, Michaels (though he can be annoying at times)

Gruden and Tirico are good but you can tell they're being dragged down by MNF's direction.

Good: Sam Rosen, Dick Stockton, Ian Eagle, Kevin Harlan, Daryl Johnston, Aikman, James Brown, Fouts, Gannon

Okay: Ron Pitts, Simms, Lynch, Warner, Jim Nantz, Gumbel

Terrible: Shannon Sharpe, Collinsworth, Joe Buck, Dierdorf, Jaws (he used to be good), Solomon Wilcots, Bradshaw, Randy Cross