PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin 2-Point Conversion Controversy

RhymesayersDU
10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
http://deadspin.com/5660882/weekend-winner-big-ten-gamblers-and-conspiracy-theories

Has anybody heard about this story? Two things:
1) I mean... I doubt that there's any real wrongdoing, but you have to be a little suspicious regarding the over/under.
2) This guy can't possibly be serious about the "well, I just do what the card tells me" excuse, can he? I know there's going to be a lot of "well, it's your job to stop them" responses. But going for 2 at that stage? That's just a dick move. Ridiculous

In sports, everyone is a winner-some people just win better than others. Like the Wisconsin Badgers, who were up 25 with 6 minutes left, and went for two. It didn't please Minnesota, but it pleased some people with money on the game.

The Badgers were well on their way to winning Paul Bunyan's Axe, as they have every year since 2003. But after a touchdown to put the game out of reach, Wisconsin was up 41-16 with 6:39 remaining. Bret Bielema went for two. This was significant for only two sets of people: Minnesota fans, who took it as an insult; and anyone who had bet the over/under, which was set at 58.

I'll spare you the math. A successful two-point conversion would have pushed the total points to 59.

Naturally, Gophers coach Tim Brewster was unhappy, confronting Bielema after the final whistle, and ripping into him in his post-game presser:

I was very upset, and I made sure he understood and made sure he knew," Gophers coach Tim Brewster said of the call. "I thought it was wrong. There's no excuse for it. Period.
"I'd be less of a man if I didn't stand up for my kids."

Bielema defended himself by saying that's what the cards told him to do. Those ubiquitous "go-for-two" cards, which every team has on the sidelines, and relies upon to tell them what situations are ripe for the two-point conversion. Wisconsin's apparently say something like, "Go for two here. If they manage to score three TDs in the next five minutes, and convert their own two-point conversions all three times, then a field goal will only tie it. Who cares if there's barely any time left, and they haven't been able to move the ball all day. Go for two. Be a dick."

Or, you know, help out some big-time Badger Booster who took the over.

Let's be clear. We're not actually suggesting that big time college football is the thrall of Las Vegas, or that Wisconsin was making decisions based on millions of dollars on the line at some sports book. We just love sports gambling conspiracy theories. Tim Tebow taking to the air to cover the spread in the waning minutes of the 2008 SEC Title Game, when pounding the run would've run out the clock. Colorado throwing up a hail mary as time expired against Nebraska last year, still losing by 8, but covering the spread. (Note: no one remembers this but me.)

We're just pointing out that if someone on Wisconsin had the over, going for two and failing would have made some very powerful people very unhappy. Someone on Wisconsin might've let Minnesota march 62 yards in 1:38 in order to keep their thumbs. Which is exactly what happened.

Minnesota's meaningless late TD to cement the over, not the thumbs thing.

broncocalijohn
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
If you need a card in that situation, you shouldnt be a coach as you would probably mismanage the clock looking down on the graph notes. Stanford last year went for a two point conversion with the score 48 to blowout city. Then they scored again to be over 50 and went for two. Some coaches are just asses.

uk bronco
10-13-2010, 12:53 AM
some coaches are assholes but you cant beat the opportunity to practise a two point conversion for when you might actually need to run it in a game

The Joker
10-13-2010, 01:42 AM
some coaches are a-holes but you cant beat the opportunity to practise a two point conversion for when you might actually need to run it in a game

You're not simulating going for 2 when you really need it though because none of the pressure of a close game is present when you're up 25/48 points.

It's just being an ass, really.

I'm surprised that a d-lineman or linebacker on that defense didn't come unabated to the QB and lay down a serious hit on him. Take the half the distance to the goal, then keep doing it until they line up and kick the XP.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-13-2010, 06:23 AM
And the card read, "If you want to keep your kneecaps where they are, go for two."

Doggcow
10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Oregon went for like 3 4th downs, and a 2pt verse my WSU Cougars last weekend in an attempt to blow us out (We're not that good and everyone knows it).

We were able to give them a game though.

I'm more upset about the blatant knee to one of our LB's groin though by one of their little **** WR's. Dirty ****ing team.

HAT
10-13-2010, 09:38 AM
MAJOR reach to bring up the gambling angle given there was almost 7:00 left in the game.

Absolute stupid.

RhymesayersDU
10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe, maybe not. You stop them on defense (very likely considering the ass kicking taking place) and grind out the clock.

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry Gophers. I too find it in bad taste. However, if you don't like it...don't let them score.

Missouribronc
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
MAJOR reach to bring up the gambling angle given there was almost 7:00 left in the game.

Absolute stupid.

I'd have to agree here. If they did it with seven minutes left there's no way Bielema was doing it to try and help the gambling boosters out. With as good of a run game as they have, they could have easily scored again.

Kaylore
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
The problem is the stupid, broken bowl system. It's not enough to win. You have to blow teams away to get those coveted "style points" that might rank you one spot higher than if you played normal football. Thus you have teams running trick plays, going for two point conversions and fourth down plays when they're up 3+ scores. If we had a playoff system this would stop.

Champagne Powder
10-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I pay hard earned money to watch football and I don't want to see unwritten gentleman rules water down my game. I want to see ruthless entertainment. Don't take the foot off the gas just to appease the wusses out there.

missingnumber7
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Sorry Gophers. I too find it in bad taste. However, if you don't like it...don't let them score.

Problem that Brewster has is that he can't slow down FCS teams at home, how do you expect to stop a Big 10 team on the road.

Brewster is a Clown and has proved it over and over again in the Big 10 giving bulletin board material to opposing teams repeatedly over the course of his time there.

That One Guy
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
The problem is the stupid, broken bowl system. It's not enough to win. You have to blow teams away to get those coveted "style points" that might rank you one spot higher than if you played normal football. Thus you have teams running trick plays, going for two point conversions and fourth down plays when they're up 3+ scores. If we had a playoff system this would stop.

I personally think this is the only redeeming factor NCAAF has going for it. No mercy, no calling the game because you're too far ahead. Really, who wants to watch a team run the ball three times up the gut and punt just to be nice to the other team? Often, when that starts happening, NFL switches to a more competitive game (or used to, haven't seen it yet this year) but they don't do that in college. I appreciate that.

Irish Stout
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
The Stout Philosophy: Always go for 2 unless you need the almost guaranteed 1 point more than the risk. Thats how every coach should play at every level of the game. Shouldn't matter the score or the time left on the clock.

That One Guy
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
The Stout Philosophy: Always go for 2 unless you need the almost guaranteed 1 point more than the risk. Thats how every coach should play at every level of the game. Shouldn't matter the score or the time left on the clock.

It's how I've done it on football games since like... '96?