PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Bowlen & Ellis forced the end of negotiations with Champ, not McDaniels or Xanders

montrose
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
The 11th-hour decision to yank Bailey from his future was not made by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders.

This decision came from above. According to NFL sources close to these negotiations, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis made the call Tuesday to suspend talks until after the season.

Xanders was deep into negotiations with Bailey's agent Jack Reale on a four- year extension that would have averaged more than $10 million a season,

Negotiations were "85 percent done," a source said, when the Broncos decided to stop talking. Apparently, Bowlen and Ellis believe the league's possible shutdown is real enough to scuttle a contract that would allocate a guaranteed expenditure against revenue uncertainty.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
*cough* *cough*

looks like someone at the Post agrees with my post from last week's Champ thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=94267&page=8

If this is true, then this is very telling about how the labor negotiations are going. Everyone that needed to be re-signed during the offseason was dealt with quickly (when labor negotiations perhaps looked good to Bowlen), but now he's saying hold off. I'm assuming something has happened in the last month or two that leads him to believe the odds of a lockout happening just swung that way.

Rabb
10-11-2010, 11:18 AM
If Champ doesn't get resigned I will probably just give up on following the Broncos until McDaniels gets fired.

:wave:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Par for the course, Josina gives half the story, and never bothers to look for the other half.

Broncoman13
10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
*cough* *cough*

looks like someone at the Post agrees with my post from last week's Champ thread:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the NFLPA has filed suit against the NFL for colluding to low ball contracts last year. I think the timing of that probably made Pat Bowlen say okay, we'll pull back on all negotiations if that is the way the players want to play this out. I don't think the Broncos were involved in it (Kuper, Doom, neg. with Champ) but I think Champ is a victim of Pat Bowlen sticking with the other owners and cutting off all negotiations.

peacepipe
10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
*cough* *cough*

the news that the NFLPA possibly decertifying was probably the thing that happened. Owners wouldn't be able to lock out the players if they decertify.

broncofan2438
10-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Pat still trying to **** this franchise up

Rabb
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
it was probably a short phone call

"I am gutless, drunk and broke...hold off"

24champ
10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I imagine if a new CBA is agreed upon and the Broncos offer Champ the same contract, Champ will turn it down. He didn't seem too happy that the contract got yanked at the Nth hour.

Broncos should have never restarted talks with Champ Bailey on an extension if the Broncos were worried about a lockout. This cluster**** falls on Ellis, who once again shows why has absolutely no business being involved in football operations.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I can't even imagine what would happen if they decide to decertify. I've read a few articles about it and none seem to have a happy ending for anyone.

Rock Chalk
10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I imagine if a new CBA is agreed upon and the Broncos offer Champ the same contract, Champ will turn it down. He didn't seem too happy that the contract got yanked at the Nth hour.

Broncos should have never restarted talks with Champ Bailey on an extension if the Broncos were worried about a lockout. This cluster**** falls on Ellis, who once again shows why has absolutely no business being involved in football operations.

The problem with that theory is that AFTER they restarted talks with Champ, something could have happened behind the scenes that made the Bowlen think twice about contract negotiations because things went sour on the new CBA.

There is no logical reason to start negotiations if you already knew things were going sour. My suspicion is merely that things looked on an even keel prior to resuming negotiations wiith Champ and at some point during the negotiations, something happened that makes the owners think there is going to be a lockout.

mkporter
10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Par for the course, Josina gives half the story, and never bothers to look for the other half.

Josina is simply the venue for anything an agent wants to "leak" to the public. She isn't a journalist, she's a ventriloquist.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Josina is simply the venue for anything an agent wants to "leak" to the public. She isn't a journalist, she's a ventriloquist.

Complete with a hand up her ass.

ColoradoDarin
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I can't even imagine what would happen if they decide to decertify. I've read a few articles about it and none seem to have a happy ending for anyone.

As far as fans go, I'll take them decertifying over either a lockout or a strike any day. It means there will be football in 2011. They did this before (1989 I think?) and reorganized again in 1993(?).

We have 2 good and 2 bad scenarios for playing next year.

1. Lockout
2. Strike

1. Decertify
2. New CBA

I'd like for them to get a new CBA done, but the next best option is going to be the union going buh bye for a few years.

lostknight
10-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow. Broncos FO being unprofessional. Who woulda thought?

eddie mac
10-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Pat still trying to **** this franchise up

We already have an injured Dumervil and Kuper on decent guaranteed money for next season regardless of whether Bowlen earns a dime in ticket sales. WTF would he give Champ a chunk of change too when he has no idea if revenue is guaranteed or not??? You the average fan are not going to pay their salary if you cant watch them play.

Smart move IMO because at the end of the day we can and will tag him if we are playing next year and a new contract is not signed and sealed.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Smart move IMO because at the end of the day we can and will tag him if we are playing next year and a new contract is not signed and sealed.

Nobody knows that yet.

footstepsfrom#27
10-11-2010, 02:16 PM
What is with the obsession on this board with her anyway? Take this particular example; she broke the news, kept it very basic and avoided certainty when it wasn't there by adding that maybe fans should be concerned...that's all...I can't find a single thing wrong with how she used twitter here...which is not meant for releasing an entire story anyway but just snippets at a time. She also GOT THE STORY in the first place when nobody else had it yet. Yet you're now complaining she didn't tell you things she didn't apparently yet know? Why? Isn't the whole point of twitter to basically provide streaming information rather than complete "stories" in one bite?

I can almost not read a thread in this place now without some constant whining about this woman and her reporting. A few morons are even calling her a whore...WTF? Some of you apparently weren't taught manners I get that but what on earth provokes a bizzare response like that? ???

footstepsfrom#27
10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Another example...HTF are you coming up with this ****? It's frankly, pretty stupid.

24champ
10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
We already have an injured Dumervil and Kuper on decent guaranteed money for next season regardless of whether Bowlen earns a dime in ticket sales. WTF would he give Champ a chunk of change too when he has no idea if revenue is guaranteed or not??? You the average fan are not going to pay their salary if you cant watch them play.

Judging from the article, they don't want to pay Champ in a lockout. Fine.

So I have a question, is it possible they are going to let him walk since they won't pay him in a year where there is no football? If you tag him then you will have to pay him...correct? Does this mean the Franchinse Tag is off the table?

This CBA stuff is confusing and what is more confusing is this negotiation and then the CEO and COO yanking the offer at the Nth hour.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 02:27 PM
So I have a question, is it possible they are going to let him walk since they won't pay him in a year where there is no football? If you tag him then you will have to pay him...correct? Does this mean the Franchinse Tag is off the table?

IF there is a franchise tag, they will most certainly tag him. However, the issue is this: there is no guarantee that there will be a franchise or transition-type tag system in place in whatever new CBA they come up with.

mkporter
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Made it way too easy for you...

footstepsfrom#27
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
This CBA stuff is confusing and what is more confusing is this negotiation and then the CEO and COO yanking the offer at the Nth hour.
That is odd. They didn't think about the CBA situation until now?

cmhargrove
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I knew it.

Tebow is playing corner next year, book it!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
What is with the obsession on this board with her anyway? Take this particular example; she broke the news, kept it very basic and avoided certainty when it wasn't there by adding that maybe fans should be concerned...that's all...I can't find a single thing wrong with how she used twitter here...which is not meant for releasing an entire story anyway but just snippets at a time. She also GOT THE STORY in the first place when nobody else had it yet. Yet you're now complaining she didn't tell you things she didn't apparently yet know? Why? Isn't the whole point of twitter to basically provide streaming information rather than complete "stories" in one bite?

I can almost not read a thread in this place now without some constant whining about this woman and her reporting. A few morons are even calling her a whore...WTF? Some of you apparently weren't taught manners I get that but what on earth provokes a bizzare response like that? ???

Calm yourself.

She conceivably went to journalism school. IN journalism school they teach you that you're to find both sides of a story. She didn't even attempt to find more to the story. Broke the news that negotiations have been put off, Champ is unhappy and... and... and... that's it.

Twitter is fine as you describe it when reporters continue to look into more details of a story. Josina rested on the story's weak laurels and called it a day instead of DOING HER JOB.

Unless her job is to rile up people in Denver, which it appears to be since if she ain't talking ****, she ain't "reporting" anything.

~Crash~
10-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Then he will be tagged he really should think like a business man .

~Crash~
10-11-2010, 03:15 PM

How ture I am glad they pulled back that could cripple the team the next year . Bailey is going to be tagged and we can do it . we been good to him he is going to have to deal with it .

Beantown Bronco
Then he will be tagged he really should think like a business man .

If he's really thinking like a business man, he won't sign any lowball offer the Broncos make. Why? Because odds are, there will be no franchise tag system in place under any new CBA. There most certainly will not be one if they de-certify the NFLPA. He'll become an UFA and will most certainly get paid more than what the Broncos have offered to this point. Much more.

eddie mac
Nobody knows that yet.

BB there wont be any football without the owners having the protection of tagging their best player minimum each contract year. It's been here since free agency first came into football and it's one of the few things that will never change unless there's no more FA.

~Crash~
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
If he's really thinking like a business man, he won't sign any lowball offer the Broncos make. Why? Because odds are, there will be no franchise tag system in place under any new CBA. There most certainly will not be one if they de-certify the NFLPA. He'll become an UFA and will most certainly get paid more than what the Broncos have offered to this point. Much more.

You act like owner have not one drop of say . they will have more say this I promise you .

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
BB there wont be any football without the owners having the protection of tagging their best player minimum each contract year. It's been here since free agency first came into football and it's one of the few things that will never change unless there's no more FA.

If there is football next year, it will most likely be because the NFLPA de-certified. If they do that, my understanding is that there will be no tagging for at least one year.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
You act like owner have not one drop of say . they will have more say this I promise you .

Huh?

Rohirrim
10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Huh?

Even your dogs look confused by that one. :rofl:

~Crash~
10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Huh?

Owners want more Say of what goes on with there team. It is not as though they are going to give more with this new contract .they are pissed now that they have to spend on players then lose them to free agency.

~Crash~
10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Even your dogs look confused by that one. :rofl:

Well one of these days you might have something that comes out you mouth and it will actually be about football . :thumbs: Until then keep being the judgmental little bitch you are.

Rohirrim
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Well one of these days you might have something that comes out you mouth and it will actually be about football . :thumbs: Until then keep being the judgmental little b**** you are.

And if I do, I promise to use English to say it. :thumbsup:

gyldenlove
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Under a lockout the players won't get paid a penny.

Pony Boy
10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Just a reflection of the national economy........ No one is going to hire anyone if they don't have a clue what going to happen down the road.

Abqbronco
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Another example...HTF are you coming up with this ****? It's frankly, pretty stupid.

This has bugged me for some time too. I agree that some of her tweats are silly, but even some of the most respected posters here have spouted off some really bad stuff that is borderline at best.

Dagmar
10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
This has bugged me for some time too. I agree that some of her tweats are silly, but even some of the most respected posters here have spouted off some really bad stuff that is borderline at best.

The ABUSE I received for posting the Champ Bailey news thread was crazy on the site and via rep.

zdoor
10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I am concerned about a "Tag". There is no gaurantee there will be one and if that is the angle we are hoping for, it's risky.

steeledude
10-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Calm yourself.

She conceivably went to journalism school. IN journalism school they teach you that you're to find both sides of a story. She didn't even attempt to find more to the story. Broke the news that negotiations have been put off, Champ is unhappy and... and... and... that's it.

Twitter is fine as you describe it when reporters continue to look into more details of a story. Josina rested on the story's weak laurels and called it a day instead of DOING HER JOB.

Unless her job is to rile up people in Denver, which it appears to be since if she ain't talking ****, she ain't "reporting" anything.

In journalism school they also teach you that if you can't name your source your story is worthless. Klit didn't name any sources in the article in this message, so he's just as worthless as she. Even to a bigger degree. When journalists say "my sources tell me" what they're saying is either I'm making this crap up or I heard it in a bar. If you can't cite your sources then you can't use that info. At least, that was the case when there was integrity involved with journalism. You know, so journalists had to their fat butts out from behind their desks and actually do some investigating.

WolfpackGuy
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe he wouldn't return Bowlen's phone calls.

Taco John
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I've talked to reporters over the years behind the scenes. The bottom line theme from just about all of them is that if they say the wrong thing or reveal the wrong source, they either become persona non grata in the building, or lose the source altogether. This is why only the most tenured and established guys say anything whatsoever that is at all controversial. On the other hand, the feeling I got has been that the organization favorites, who essentially become mouthpieces for their press machine - these are the guys that end up being the most celebrated guys by the fans.

It doesn't pay to go against the grain and dig up the dirt. You don't get accolades. You don't get embraced by the organization. You don't even get promoted within your own. You eventually burn out your own light and have to move to a new market to start the act up all over again until your fat enough and old enough to become one of the tenured guys (see Mariotti).

Taco John
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
That said, I think there are a few who do a good job walking the fine line.

Hamrob
10-11-2010, 07:05 PM
When you look at how this season is going so far....lots of mediocracy....nobody really stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

You wonder just how much this CBA situation has taken away from the competition this year? Players and coaches alike have a hell of alot of pressure on them that they normally don't have. Typically, all they need too concentrate on is football. Not this year...this year, they're worrying about what's going to happen next year!

tsiguy96
10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I've talked to reporters over the years behind the scenes. The bottom line theme from just about all of them is that if they say the wrong thing or reveal the wrong source, they either become persona non grata in the building, or lose the source altogether. This is why only the most tenured and established guys say anything whatsoever that is at all controversial. On the other hand, the feeling I got has been that the organization favorites, who essentially become mouthpieces for their press machine - these are the guys that end up being the most celebrated guys by the fans.

It doesn't pay to go against the grain and dig up the dirt. You don't get accolades. You don't get embraced by the organization. You don't even get promoted within your own. You eventually burn out your own light and have to move to a new market to start the act up all over again until your fat enough and old enough to become one of the tenured guys (see Mariotti).

i really, really would bet its like this everywhere. however based on the stuff we see every day in papers and in media, i doubt its as serious as you say. not much positive press out of denver, ever.

footstepsfrom#27
10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Calm yourself.

I'm pretty sure the people at FOX are happy enough with how she does her job since she's 1) still employed, and 2) has been winning awards and such. Twitter isn't meant to match up with the edicts of journalism school and I doubt any news source gives a damn about that when they are trying to compete in their market with breaking news first. That seems to be mostly what it's about now, being first with any information. In any case, she's not the worst reporter in Denver and this other bull**** people are handing her...well it reminds me of ****ing jr. high school.

ZONA
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I love the Broncos but F the NFL owners and F the NFL players if they can't reach an agreement. They all make way too much F'n money to begin with. The owners for sure, the players and even most coaches. Sure I would love for them to work it out and give us a season next year but if they don't work it out, and there is no season, no problem for me. Both sides can lose money for all I care. When the players aren't getting paid the owners are losing revenue, and they hear and read about millions of pissed off fans, they'll eventually figure it out.

v2micca
10-12-2010, 05:17 AM
I love the Broncos but F the NFL owners and F the NFL players if they can't reach an agreement. They all make way too much F'n money to begin with.

See, I can never really get behind this argument. If your truly feel the NFL makes too much money, then stop supporting it. Don't watch the games on TV, don't buy tickets to see the games in person, don't visit NFL affiliated websites, don't buy official NFL gear. The fact is, its an industry that generates Billions of Dollars annually. The money has to go to someone. Might as well go to the people responsible for putting the product on the field. Now, it does suck that those same people are essentially going to alienate their customers because they can't decide how to best divide that money between them. But its their house and if they want to burn it down out of spite, its their prerogative.