PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Good:

Orton: Enough said

Defense: Played well and kept the game close. Just wore down with no help from the O.

Goal line stand: Loved it!

Bad:

Penalties: Enough said

Running game: Still awful

D-line pressure

What was your good and bad?

Rock Chalk
10-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I fail to see any good in this typical Raven beatdown.

Popps
10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Orton and the WR's were the lone bright spot today.

The defense was respectable early, but fell apart and not surprisingly.

No run-blocking=no clock control=a tired defense and inability to convert 3rd downs.

Pretty much the disaster implosion I expected today.

McDaniels needs to kick this team's ass into the ground, and Wink better figure out how many guys are supposed to be on the field in an NFL game.

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM

I had to look as well. The naysayers though have taken over chat and the game threads. Looking for something positive to take out of this game.

Popps
10-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I had to look as well. The naysayers though have taken over chat and the game threads. Looking for something positive to take out of this game.

It's almost over. :sunshine:

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 12:53 PM
It's almost over. :sunshine:

Next week we get to play at home!!!

lostknight
10-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Good:

Orton: Enough said

Defense: Played well and kept the game close. Just wore down with no help from the O.

Goal line stand: Loved it!

Bad:

Penalties: Enough said

Running game: Still awful

D-line pressure

What was your good and bad?

My God, Seriously? Talk about pre-emptive apologies for a team that McDaniels did not have ready to play.

zdoor
This is a poorly coached, undisciplined team. We are a penalty machine, we can't manage the clock, waste timeouts, give up TD's with 10 players on the field, delay of games when we need yards in the worst way. All of it points to coaching.

lostknight

Probably because this game was full of Fail.

sgbfan
10-10-2010, 12:55 PM
The bad... The refs, and the entire broncos team minus Orton and recievers. And the injuries.

LonghornBronco
10-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Positives
We don't have to play Baltimore again this season.

Negatives
One week after Josh highlights penalties being a sihn of poor coaching we go and have a game like this.

OABB
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Go broncos!

CEH
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
The upper teams show what Denver is all about

A pea shooter offense that can't run , can't score in the red zone, a defense that can't tackle or make a timely play (many opportunities today ) and you hold your breath with every kick or punt

Luckily there are only a few elite teams to embarras us

Be nice to see some improvement from year to year when we play the real good teams but I just don't see it

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 12:57 PM
My God, Seriously? Talk about pre-emptive apologies for a team that McDaniels did not have ready to play.

Easy there big fella. There is no pre-emptive anything. Simply looking for analysis of the game aside from, "we suck," "fire McD," and "I could coach this team to a SB with my sheer force of will," taking over.

Glad you could get an a big emotional pissy fit over it though.

lostknight
10-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, so far we have failed against a poor team - Jax, a mediocre team - the Colts - and a good team - Ravens.

That kind of inconsistency is hard to do.

sgbfan
10-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Time for Orton to pad his stats!

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, so far we have failed against a poor team - Jax, a mediocre team - the Colts - and a good team - Ravens.

That kind of inconsistency is hard to do.

I see you missed the point of thread. Not sure where I see any good in your post

lostknight
10-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I see you missed the point of thread. Not sure where I see any good in your post

Unlike everyone else, I refuse to whitewash a team by embracing any expectations besides winning.

Popps
10-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow. Lloyd with another great bomb TD catch in garbage time. Beat double-coverage.

I think he's worth a mention as a positive today, for sure.

Ugly day, but Lloyd played hard, as did Orton.

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Unlike everyone else, I refuse to whitewash a team by embracing any expectations besides winning.

So instead you mindlessly trash them instead of providing any real insight.

Got it.

beanerbronco
10-10-2010, 01:10 PM

BS. These "players" get a crap load of $ to get themselves ready to play. Obviously, they can't seem to get their **** together and keep away from making stupid penalties.
Eddie's big run on the reverse, couple of first down throws taken back bc of holding penalties, a fumble, and a lot of crap that the coach can't control. WE seem to always shoot ourselves on the foot

Dagmar
10-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Got it.

throw him on ignore like the rest of us has.

12th man
10-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Orton and Lloyd, as usuall were a positive.

Today, this team did not look ready to play. Dumb mistakes, Thomas takin the ball out of the enzone, then fumbling, and injuring himself. Defense a few times did not get set, looked confused, and a couple of times had either to many or not enough players on the field.

We got pushed around today on both lines.

Im not giving up on this season though. This team needs to get their heads out of their butts though!

meangene
10-10-2010, 01:14 PM
The upper teams show what Denver is all about

A pea shooter offense that can't run , can't score in the red zone, a defense that can't tackle or make a timely play (many opportunities today ) and you hold your breath with every kick or punt

Luckily there are only a few elite teams to embarras us

Be nice to see some improvement from year to year when we play the real good teams but I just don't see it

Unfortunately, this is pretty much where I am at right now. Maybe I will be less negative in a couple days.

bronco militia
10-10-2010, 01:15 PM
this defense did not play well.....you guys suck at this

bpc
Good:

Orton 20-20: Throwing between the 20's is great. Doing well besides not having a running game. Lone TD's haven't been in the red zone which is showing some big issues and also positives as well.

Lloyd: Guy has been putting it all together for Denver. He's fun to watch.

OL: I thought they pass blocked well despite the numerous penalties.

Bad:

Outside of a garbage TD the red-zone production was absolute **** again.

Everything about the run-game.

McD using D. Thomas or larger players on kick return. Stupid.

Front Seven still largely getting pushed off the ball. Pass rush also sucked balls. Many un-clutch plays when it mattered most.

rugbythug
This is a poorly coached, undisciplined team. We are a penalty machine, we can't manage the clock, waste timeouts, give up TD's with 10 players on the field, delay of games when we need yards in the worst way. All of it points to coaching.

Holding calls are not undisciplined. The Clock management is on Orton, they were lined up and had the plays ready just did not get snapped. 10 players on the field was 3 games ago.

We got worked in a physical way. They have better athletes. Better line play. On Both sides of the ball.

gtown
10-10-2010, 01:20 PM

This. For a coach who is supposedly detail oriented, this is surprising. Guess he was too busy coaching us into being tough and team-oriented.

NASurfer
10-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Positive (note singular, no plural):
Brandon Loyd and the deep ball

Negatives:
- Ugliest running game in the league.
- Defense while improved from Slowik's garbage still more then a few pieces away from being really counted on.
- Penalties. Especially those coming from the O-line.

Positive (I thought of one)
- Despite heavy load that Orton is carrying, he isn't out there throwing picks.

Tom G
10-10-2010, 01:23 PM
My biggest disappointment is that we were manhandled. The Ravens were clearly the dominant team. We are not in their league yet. A lot of it is due to the lack of synergy/experience of our OL, which inhibits the run game and clock management. I think (hope) we will be much better later this season, but I'm still not sure we will be at the Ravens level this year.

WABronco
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Good:

The same as previous games.

Bad:

Same as previous games, then some.

rbackfactory80
10-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Good- D Thomas probably done returning kicks although it almost took a broken neck to save our future at wide receiver.

Bad- Jarvis Moss: Someone out there has to be able to improve our team more
Penalties

HILife
10-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Bad

having a HELL of a time getting out of the stadium parking lot. holy **** I haven't moved in 30min!

TheProfessor
10-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Positive: The game is over

Negative: Worst running game in broncos history (ytd)

This offensive line is quickly becoming an embarrasment and it looks as though Beadles is now the 3rd string RG.

Thankfully we don't play the ravens again, but was a sound beating combined with an avalanche of penalties.

The coach needs to get control of this, and in a hurry.

TheReverend
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM

This

Not sure what there is to whine about. You could see this game coming a mile away.

Hell, DJ had a pretty good game today and Flacco ran him the **** over in the first quarter. Baltimore's just a really solid football team at every level from execution, personnel, preparation, etc. We can't compete with that. Just stretch out and get ready for our Jets raping next week.

oubronco
10-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Holding calls are not undisciplined. The Clock management is on Orton, they were lined up and had the plays ready just did not get snapped. 10 players on the field was 3 games ago.

We got worked in a physical way. They have better athletes. Better line play. On Both sides of the ball.

This is what you get for sucking for so long and drafting top 5 for a long period

TheReverend
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM
This is what you get for sucking for so long and drafting top 5 for a long period

Uhhhh...

What?

lostknight
10-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The way things are going, we are the ones who are going to have a top five pick next year.

ScottXray
10-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Good,
Orton had no picks and over 300 in garbage time again.
Lloyd and Royal

Defenses GL stand in the 1st.

Bad :
run game, and OL penalties.

Officials....very unevenly called game. All calls went B-mores way until
about 2 minutes left. I'm not saying that the holding calls weren't deserved,
as they were. But The calls should have evened out a lot more than they did, and the officials seemed to never call the Ravens for the stuff that WAS happening, and it had an effect.

Overrall, we got Our asses kicked again by a team playing more physical than us , and the defense couldn't get off the field, again.

Play selection on third down....even in 3rd and long you have to TRY. the whole first half we didn't.

Very disappointed in the game plan....

OABB
10-10-2010, 01:54 PM
The good: I'm alive and well.

The bad: I care way to much about a game.

TheReverend
10-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Just a quick fyi for you, Ngata is the only player on their lines taken even in the first half of the first round at 12th. The other 2 starting DL are both street FAs. Their OL is a similiar story. 2 bottom of the first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd, and a free agent.

In fact, I can't remember a single example of the Ravens drafting even remotely close to top 5.

Requiem
10-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Ozzie is just a good talent evaluator.

rbackfactory80
10-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Good,
Orton had no picks and over 300 in garbage time again.
Lloyd and Royal

Defenses GL stand in the 1st.

Bad :
run game, and OL penalties.

Officials....very unevenly called game. All calls went B-mores way until
about 2 minutes left. I'm not saying that the holding calls weren't deserved,
as they were. But The calls should have evened out a lot more than they did, and the officials seemed to never call the Ravens for the stuff that WAS happening, and it had an effect.

Overrall, we got Our asses kicked again by a team playing more physical than us , and the defense couldn't get off the field, again.

Play selection on third down....even in 3rd and long you have to TRY. the whole first half we didn't.

Very disappointed in the game plan....

This. The number one passing offense doesn't run it on 3 and 12 except maybe for trickery. They have faith that they can draw up a 13 yard pass play completion.

Beantown Bronco
10-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Just a quick fyi for you, Ngata is the only player on their lines taken even in the first half of the first round at 12th. The other 2 starting DL are both street FAs. Their OL is a similiar story. 2 bottom of the first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd, and a free agent.

In fact, I can't remember a single example of the Ravens drafting even remotely close to top 5.

Yup, oubronco really stepped in it with that post. Here is their complete first round draft history and Suggs appears to be the only top 10 guy on the roster and he was picked at #10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Ravens_first-round_draft_picks

ScottXray
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
This. The number one passing offense doesn't run it on 3 and 12 except maybe for trickery. They have faith that they can draw up a 13 yard pass play completion.

That's what I mean...they tried to run on third and long repeatedly in the first half. Guess you won't throw picks if you run...but there's NO chance to convert with this line and a draw play.

CEH
10-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Balt over the last 10 years has drafted extemely well with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Balt hasn't had that many failures in 10 years (OK may a slight exageration but close). All Pro's all over the roster

We are on the other hand have a RB with a brusied vagina, a very good OLber(yeah Ayers) , a project QB, a short armed T-Rex guard, a 7th round TE, a decent WR who we had to play on ST and might be out a while, a tissue paper FS, a blocking TE who is on the verge of getting cut and that's just the last two year

broncosteven
10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
this defense did not play well.....you guys suck at this

The D was terrible early outside of the 4th and goal play or it could have been 10-38.

Didn't help running a draw on 3rd and long on the 1st (or was it the 2nd?) series.

I think mCd did try to do something different in the run game with the Eddie Royal end run and running from the gun.

The passing game was defensed well early, the Ravens had all the answers.

The D really let this team down today especially in the passing game. I expected them to run on us but Flacco was like 13 of 15 at one point.

I did think ST's was the lone bright spot today, everything outside of Lloyd sucked.

Cito Pelon
10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
The bad - Denver didn't attack downfield enough, from what I saw. Kind of dumb to try nickle-and-diming the Balt D. I missed all of the first half and most of Q3, so I don't have all the details, but did Denver even try going deep until the late TD to Lloyd? The O is a lot better when they try some post patterns early. Ryan Harris was getting eaten alive from what I saw.

The Good - you tell me, because that was a major ass-kicking.

go_broncos
10-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Good : Popps didn't start "I am happy with the performance though we lost" thread.
Bad : The entire team including coaches.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Got it.

There's a turd in every punchbowl. lostnight is about the biggest turd I've ever heard of.

WolfpackGuy
10-10-2010, 04:02 PM
The bad - Denver didn't attack downfield enough, from what I saw. Kind of dumb to try nickle-and-diming the Balt D. I missed all of the first half and most of Q3, so I don't have all the details, but did Denver even try going deep until the late TD to Lloyd? The O is a lot better when they try some post patterns early. Ryan Harris was getting eaten alive from what I saw.

The Good - you tell me, because that was a major ass-kicking.

Exactly.

Orton had pretty decent protection all things considered.

Even Ravens fans around me were openly questioning the lack of pressure.

TonyR
10-10-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm certainly not apologizing for this loss, but... Jacksonville and Indy are both 3-2 so you could make a pretty good argument that both are better than average, and the Ravens are one of the best two or three teams in the league. And I see you left out that we beat a very good Tennessee team on the road and a decent Seattle team.

fontaine
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm surprised by the comments on the passing game.

I thought they mostly looked good only when B'more went into a prevent D at the end of each half and when they were up by 21.

Other than that, the passing game struggled as well with 2/3 drops by our TEs/RBs.

Cito Pelon
10-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Apparently, Denver was not on today. That was a major ass-kicking.

originalsultan
10-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Good:

Two-minute offense. I believe we have scored in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half in every game this year, and today was no exception.

Brandon Lloyd. 5 games in, still doing great.

Orton. 8.3 yards per attempt, qb rating of 104.5.

Bad:

Defense. Forced no turnovers. Generated little pressure. Could not stop the run. Was blown off the ball for most of the game. Allowed several very long, sustained drives.

Special Teams: fumbles on special teams are killers. Thank goodness the defense held on that one or it would have been 21-0. Also, Prater seemed unable to kick the ball in the endzone while their kicker was booming it out the back of it.

Penalties. Some of them were stupid fouls. Some were a result of playing on the road. Didn't help that the refs were in the Ravens' pocket from the get-go.

Just not a good game. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but I thought the team would do better than it did.

TheChamp24
10-10-2010, 04:53 PM
You know what we need to do?
Go ****in no-huddle. Just do it, get fast paced and down the field. I honestly think that will get our running game going and get points on the board, but I know we won't.

originalsultan
10-10-2010, 05:15 PM
You know what we need to do?
Go ****in no-huddle. Just do it, get fast paced and down the field.

You know I was just thinking this. We seemed to have success moving the ball against Baltimore when we were going hurry-up. And we have scored running the 2-minute drill every game.

Maybe we should just go all-out flinging it around, like a '90 Buffalo Bills redux. We certainly have the right offensive parts.

broncosteven
10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe we should just go all-out flinging it around, like a '90 Buffalo Bills redux. We certainly have the right offensive parts.

Aren't we already doing that?

WolfpackGuy
10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't think the defense could produce enough big plays to hold up if they went full no huddle on offense.

An interesting concept to kickstart the team though.

originalsultan
10-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Aren't we already doing that?

Sort of. We are throwing it a lot but not using the hurry up very much. '90 Buffalo Bills went hurry-up on every drive except when they were trying to kill the clock.

broncosteven
10-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Sort of. We are throwing it a lot but not using the hurry up very much. '90 Buffalo Bills went hurry-up on every drive except when they were trying to kill the clock.

I saw that part after I posted.

originalsultan
10-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think the defense could produce enough big plays to hold up if they went full no huddle on offense.

An interesting concept to kickstart the team though.

Yeah, that's kind of a problem. No Bruce Smith on our team. If Doom hadn't gotten hurt we might have been able to manage it.

Gcver2ver3
10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
bad: we lost...

good: so did SD and KC...

Hamrob
10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Here goes nothing:

I think it's obvious that this team needs better coaching. Many of you homers won't even consider such a fact.

Having said that. Games are often won by shifts in momentum. That fumble by Thomas (at that time in the game) was a game breaker. We needed to compete with the Ravens. Our defense was slowly figuring them out...and bam...Thomas fumbles at the 15 yd line. Ravens score...Game over!!!

The Broncos were done when the score went to 17-0! Had Thomas not fumbled and we end up going into half at say 10-7...it's a totally different game. McD went into Baltimore and tried to beat the Ravens at what they do best. play the clock and grind the ball/short passing game. When you're a down the field (explosive at times) passing team and try to play the Ravens style of football...you are going to lose. We lost.

Though, at times, our defense shut their offense down...and at times, their defense had no clue how to stop our passing game.

We lost this game because of:

1. Coaching
2. Special Teams
3. Running Game

But, truly....I don't think there's a huge disparity beteween us and the Ravens. I really don't. They're not that good and we're not that bad. We played this game on their field, with their fans and with less than adequate coaching!

The positive to me? We have a pretty good team...that just hasn't put it all together yet. We play at home next week against a good Jets team...and I think we will win that game. I really do.

As for our running game and our offensive line...I'd take Harris, Kuper, Walton and Clady any day of the week. I'd also take Beadles at LG. That is one hell of a talented offensive front...why they're not blocking better? COACHING!!! Our Oline coach sucks....and unless we start doing a better job soon...he should be canned!

brncs_fan
10-10-2010, 06:54 PM
As for our running game and our offensive line...I'd take Harris, Kuper, Walton and Clady any day of the week. I'd also take Beadles at LG. That is one hell of a talented offensive front...why they're not blocking better? COACHING!!! Our Oline coach sucks....and unless we start doing a better job soon...he should be canned!

First of all, props for a well thought out post.

Secondly, I disagree with you on our offensive line troubles. I think the problem with the lines are continuity, youth, and injuries. This line has changed starting personnel almost every game. We are also starting a rookie at C, and, if Beadles was to start at LG we would have 2 rooks out there. Lastly, Clady and Harris are both coming off of injuries and are not where they were last year or the year before that.

If we get to week 8 and it is still the same, then I will be willing to concede coaching.

dewaynesworld63
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Positives
We don't have to play Baltimore again this season.
Negatives
One week after Josh highlights penalties being a sihn of poor coaching we go and have a game like this.

Partially wrong. Denver plays a carbon copy of Baltimore in the Jets next week. Those two teams are mirror images of each other, and along with Pittsburgh...are probably the class of the league.

cabronco
10-10-2010, 07:04 PM
The Good: Orton/Lloyd continues to impress. Royal made plays today as well. Defense hung in there for awhile , but gave up too many big plays. Bailey still played to his good level despite the bad wheel.

The Bad: Still no run game to speak of again. Still no pressure from the defensive line on the qb. Defense was on the field way too long and look fatigued, due to Offenses lack of being able to control clock w/ a run game. We lost.

The Ugly: Seeing DT get injured on kick off return. Poor coach decision. Trying to run the ball on 3rd and long a couple times...poor coaches decision. Way too many penalties.

originalsultan
10-10-2010, 07:09 PM
But, truly....I don't think there's a huge disparity beteween us and the Ravens. I really don't. They're not that good and we're not that bad. We played this game on their field, with their fans and with less than adequate coaching!

I think they are that good. Though I agree that we aren't that bad.

This game had disaster written all over it from the time the schedule-makers put it on the calendar.

1. on the road
2. on the East coast
3. early start time
4. second consecutive road game
5. in Baltimore (Broncos 0-4 all time at Baltimore before today's game; now 0-5)

Throw in the fact that the Ravens were a playoff team from last year, and were widely considered to be a favorite to make a run at a Superbowl before the season began, it becomes a pretty tall mountain to climb. I thought we'd do better than we ended up doing, but we didn't.

The MVPlaya
10-10-2010, 07:15 PM
The Good: Orton/Lloyd continues to impress. Royal made plays today as well. Defense hung in there for awhile , but gave up too many big plays. Bailey still played to his good level despite the bad wheel.

The Bad: Still no run game to speak of again. Still no pressure from the defensive line on the qb. Defense was on the field way too long and look fatigued, due to Offenses lack of being able to control clock w/ a run game. We lost.

The Ugly: Seeing DT get injured on kick off return. Poor coach decision. Trying to run the ball on 3rd and long a couple times...poor coaches decision. Way too many penalties.

Defense got fatigued today no doubt. They definitely were up to the challenge but offense couldn't pick them up late in the 2nd half. That goal line stop was great.

We got owned in TOP today... 23:xx min to 36:xx min. Can't have that.

I'm actually surprised (and shocked) that no one really talked about the refs today. I saw some questionable calls but it's part of the game. The holding call on DT on the Royal reverse was a killer... I didn't get to see the play again but I had my eye on DT for a moment during that play and it didn't look like he held.

The false start that was called on Gaffney... where was this? They might of gotten it wrong and meant Clady but anytime a defender jumps offsides and causes another defense to move it's called on the defender.

The delay of game penalty. By rule it was the correct call but I've seen this NOT called OFTEN time and time again (against the Broncos too), where the clock strikes 0 right when the center hikes the ball.

The holding call by JD Walton on Ray Lewis. That was bull****. Pure bull****. That **** happens EVERY game in the NFL and rarely gets called in the way that happened.

At the end of the day we killed ourselves with penalties and that can't happen.

And FYI, teams run or throw screens on 3rd and 10+ all across the league all the time. I suggest you and others complaining about this watch more football games of teams other than the Broncos.

The MVPlaya
10-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Two plays that really stood out that were killers for us IMO was the Gronkowski drop (you need to make those catches) and the Flacco 3rd down scramble for a 1st down. Both those plays could have turned the tide for the Broncos.

cabronco
10-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Defense got fatigued today no doubt. They definitely were up to the challenge but offense couldn't pick them up late in the 2nd half. That goal line stop was great.

We got owned in TOP today... 23:xx min to 36:xx min. Can't have that.

I'm actually surprised (and shocked) that no one really talked about the refs today. I saw some questionable calls but it's part of the game. The holding call on DT on the Royal reverse was a killer... I didn't get to see the play again but I had my eye on DT for a moment during that play and it didn't look like he held.

The false start that was called on Gaffney... where was this? They might of gotten it wrong and meant Clady but anytime a defender jumps offsides and causes another defense to move it's called on the defender.

The delay of game penalty. By rule it was the correct call but I've seen this NOT called OFTEN time and time again (against the Broncos too), where the clock strikes 0 right when the center hikes the ball.

The holding call by JD Walton on Ray Lewis. That was bull****. Pure bull****. That **** happens EVERY game in the NFL and rarely gets called in the way that happened.

At the end of the day we killed ourselves with penalties and that can't happen.

And FYI, teams run or throw screens on 3rd and 10+ all across the league all the time. I suggest you and others complaining about this watch more football games of teams other than the Broncos.

I agree & thought there were some questionable penalties called against us, a couple real bogus ones you mentioned.

I also agree teams run the ball sometimes on 3rd and 10 across the league, but its usually teams that can run the ball effectively or arent dead last in running the ball. Our run game is in the dumpster right about now, and the way Orton has been playing I would rather see him pass the ball in long yardage instead of our pathetic run game. Just looked like we were playing tentative football with plays like that. Didnt McD comment before the game the Ravens havent played a passing offense like the Broncos ? Then why'd you run it on 3rd and long, twice that I recall.

The MVPlaya
10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I agree & thought there were some questionable penalties called against us, a couple real bogus ones you mentioned.

I also agree teams run the ball sometimes on 3rd and 10 across the league, but its usually teams that can run the ball effectively or arent dead last in running the ball. Our run game is in the dumpster right about now, and the way Orton has been playing I would rather see him pass the ball in long yardage instead of our pathetic run game. Just looked like we were playing tentative football with plays like that. Didnt McD comment before the game the Ravens havent played a passing offense like the Broncos ? Then why'd you run it on 3rd and long, twice that I recall.

I believe it was 3rd and 10+... Saints throw a lot of screens or run the ball in these situations.

So if its something like 3rd and 14 you should expect a run or screen (in most situations).

If it's exactly 3rd and 10 we'll usually try and get it (and we have at this point since our run game has been complete ****).

I don't think teams run it on 3rd and 13,14, 15 in order to get the first down, but just trying to keep field position in their favor and not risking a turnover.

ton80
10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
The Good: I worried all week that Orton would get injured. He obviously didn't.

The Bad: Lack of attention to detail from the coaching staff to the players.

Bronco Yoda
10-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The good = Sometimes the Defense can count to 11
The bad = other times it stops at 10
The ugly = and then there are those 12th man times...

TheChamp24
10-11-2010, 06:44 AM
The bad?
Waving the freakin white flag. Running a draw/up the middle on 3rd and long, not going for it on 4th down.
Remember that 4th and 7 on the 37? Freakin go for it. Score was 17-7, only a 10 point game, but if you aren't going to kick a field goal, go for it. We punt to the 21, and 2 plays later Baltimore is past the 37.

zdoor
10-11-2010, 07:05 AM

Pointing out trends and there is definitely issues on coaching that come again. 10 players was 3 games ago on the TD but we burned a timeout yesterday for 10 men again and that is the 2ND time since the TD with 10 on the field. Call it what you want but a lot of the issues are coaching.

Smiling Assassin27
10-11-2010, 07:16 AM
1. Orton still looks good. No run game, Bmore's defense knowing we'd throw it on every down, and he still made some great throws (the TD's were obvious, but several more were stuck into small windows as well) and commanded the offense well. He's confident but not stupid and for that, he gets props.

2. The defense had spells of good but still struggles on 3rd down WAY too much. Without Doom, the pass rush is pedestrian and the LB's are basically just guys. That 3rd down scramble by Flacco to keep the first half drive alive was the epitome of Broncos defense the last several years--too slow, too soft, and too unaware.

3. Penalties. Holy ****. I realize we have a young line (for the most part)but these guys got schooled yesterday. The middle of the line was soft (as evidenced by the lack of running game...again). Out of the 5 possession/drives of the first half, we committed a penalty on 4. As Gene Kranz likes to say, gentlemen, that's unacceptable. Still, we get on the board before half and get the ball back to start the second half. If we were gonna make it a game, that drive would be the reason. Instead, we go 4 plays and out twice in a row and our defense finally fades from being on the field too long. We give up 2 TD's on sustained drives and respond with a FG.

4. I, for one, am grateful that I do not return kicks in the NFL. I watched DT get obliterated and was sure he had a shattered hip and whiplash. With the exception of that play, special teams did its job. I hope DT is OK but dude may have ruptured internals after that hit. Welcome to the NFL, kid.

fontaine
10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
4. I, for one, am grateful that I do not return kicks in the NFL. I watched DT get obliterated and was sure he had a shattered hip and whiplash. With the exception of that play, special teams did its job. I hope DT is OK but dude may have ruptured internals after that hit. Welcome to the NFL, kid.

That wasn't on DT. He was supposed to get a block from the blind side. He didn't and the guy came in untouched with a full head of steam.

It was to be expected though. Our STs is guaranteed for one huge **** up a game.

Smiling Assassin27
10-11-2010, 07:35 AM
That wasn't on DT. He was supposed to get a block from the blind side. He didn't and the guy came in untouched with a full head of steam.

It was to be expected though. Our STs is guaranteed for one huge **** up a game.

Right, I agree. The guy was allowed to hit our guy with a full head of steam with nary a dirty look from a Broncos player.

Steve Sewell
10-11-2010, 07:55 AM
There is one certainty in life outside of death and taxes:

Broncos fans overreacting on a message board after a loss.

It's hard to beat bad/mediocre teams on the road. Beating an excellent team like the Ravens on the road is damn near impossible, especially for a REBUILDING team like the Broncos.

Where there some disappointing things from the game? Hell yes there were. This is a learning process, and the Broncos just went in and learned what its going to take for them to be an elite team in the NFL. There were many lessons taught on the field yesterday. That's the positive that I see out of this game.

fontaine
10-11-2010, 07:59 AM
There is one certainty in life outside of death and taxes:

Broncos fans overreacting on a message board after a loss.

It's hard to beat bad/mediocre teams on the road. Beating an excellent team like the Ravens on the road is damn near impossible, especially for a REBUILDING team like the Broncos.

Agreed.

Where there some disappointing things from the game? Hell yes there were. This is a learning process, and the Broncos just went in and learned what its going to take for them to be an elite team in the NFL. There were many lessons taught on the field yesterday. That's the positive that I see out of this game.

Yes it is a learning process. A learning process implies some kind of improvement no matter how subtle.

What exactly did we learn about the running game since week 1 and where's the improvement?

Lolad
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I was at the game basically on field level 3rd row. The delay of game was on the center not Orton. Orton chewed Walton out afterwards because he was asking for him to snap the ball. The stadium got real loud at times.

A lot of our guys were confused on where to line up on defense especially the secondary. Champ was too busy trying to explain an assignment to a DB he got gashed for 17 yards.

All in all we only have 2 people on our Dline right now that have any shedding moves. The ravens clearly have a better Dline coach. Vickerson and Bannon are the only players who rip or pull.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2010, 08:31 AM
What exactly did we learn about the running game since week 1 and where's the improvement?

What have we learned:

Moreno's our best back and we need cohesion, not to mention a healthy Clady, Harris and Kuper on the OLine.

Where's the improvement:

Moreno should be healthy for the Jets game. Clady, Harris and Kuper are getting healthier. The OLine should improve with more and more time together.

Who wants a team that has peaked by early October anyway? I'll take a 2nd half peak any day.

Missouribronc
10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
What have we learned:

Moreno's our best back and we need cohesion, not to mention a healthy Clady, Harris and Kuper on the OLine.

Where's the improvement:

Moreno should be healthy for the Jets game. Clady, Harris and Kuper are getting healthier. The OLine should improve with more and more time together.

Who wants a team that has peaked by early October anyway? I'll take a 2nd half peak any day.

Its been a long time since anyone in Denver has seen a team peak in the second half. Would be very lovely to see, especially with the schedule Denver has, with all of the division games in the latter part of the season, and games against the NFC West...