PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Jackson for Logan Mankins?

DomCasual
10-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I hope it stays just a rumor. I'd love to see Jackson sit out the entire season for the Chargers.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/234030-pats-to-deal-mankins-for-jackson?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

08:10 AM ET 10.08 | Though the agent for Logan Mankins has called the possibility of it happening "ludicrous," the Patriots have reportedly looked into the possibility of trading for Vincent Jackson. Talks are preliminary at this point but the idea of the Patriots acquiring Jackson in exchange for [Mankins] is in play. Mankins and Jackson are in identical contractual situations. They are restricted free agents in their fifth seasons in the league. Had the expiring CBA not intervened, both would have been free agents last offseason. Both men have opted to sit out rather than play for their tender offers.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/234030-pats-to-deal-mankins-for-jackson?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz11n5c6rgr

Smiling Assassin27
10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Why would Bellichick trade for another guy that's got off the field issues and is one step away from a one year ban? Vincent screwed himself, basically. AJ's gonna let him rot and the FA market for him is gonna be tepid because of it.

misturanderson
10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
And why would either team want this deal? Neither wanted to pay their own player, and neither player is willing to sign a tender, so what would this accomplish.

TonyR
10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
A case for Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins showing up to work
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 8, 2010 9:38 AM ET

The Chargers and Patriots have discussed a deal for Vincent Jackson, but multiple reports indicate that a deal is unlikely. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune says including Logan Mankins in a possible swap is even more unlikely, because the Chargers don't need help at guard.

That doesn't mean both players will sit out the season. In New England, there's been a general sense that Mankins could eventually come to work. After all, he was reportedly close to a big contract extension at one point. His problems with the Patriots almost seem more personal than financial at this stage.

Vincent Jackson appears more steadfast in his holdout, but Jason La Canfora makes this case on NFL.com that there is a "strong probability" both players will show up by Week Ten.

"If they sit out the entire season, there is still a very, very strong chance they end up right back where they are -- restricted free agents," one CBA "expert" told La Canfora.

There are clauses in the current CBA that is reportedly worrying the union when it comes to Jackson and Mankins. They may not want to risk winding up in the same position next year.

It's hard to predict what language will be in the next CBA, and whether it would allow Jackson and Mankins to be free agents in 2011. We're in uncharted territory.

"Even if we tried to challenge that language through a grievance or a settlement, there's no guarantee we would win," a union source told NFL.com. "There is no way to guarantee in any instance they would get the language they want."

Thus far, the action on the field isn't helping Jackson and Mankins' leverage. Philip Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single season passing record. The Patriots have scored the most points in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/08/a-case-for-vincent-jackson-and-logan-mankins-showing-up-to-work/

boltaneer
10-08-2010, 11:25 AM
This trade makes no sense.

JJJ
10-08-2010, 11:28 AM
We don't need a guard.

We would take some of those draft picks off their hands though.

Beantown Bronco
10-08-2010, 11:40 AM
And why would either team want this deal? Neither wanted to pay their own player

The Portis/Champ trade was extremely similar in this regard.

Pony Boy
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Why would Bellichick trade for another guy that's got off the field issues and is one step away from a one year ban? Vincent screwed himself, basically. AJ's gonna let him rot and the FA market for him is gonna be tepid because of it.

I think the same thing was said when Bellichick made the original trade for Randy Moss........ you just never know what that bastard is thinking

Kaylore
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM

While this may be true, he'll make more than the 600,000 he was slated to make. Jackson pretty much has to keep holding out at this point.

Smiling Assassin27
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I think the same thing was said when Bellichick made the original trade for Randy Moss........ you just never know what that bastard is thinking

Yeah, i get that. But the second part is possibly more important to the scenrio--VJ's one strike away from a serious suspension, which makes it kinda crazy for the Pats to risk that AND give away a guy they still could bring back to the fold in mankins.

400HZ
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Philip Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single season passing record. The Patriots have scored the most points in the league.

GFY's you greedy pricks.

misturanderson
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
The Portis/Champ trade was extremely similar in this regard.

Yeah, but both teams had a major need at the position they traded for. I don't really know what the redskins' CB depth looked like at the time, but I know Shanahan's philosophy on RBs contributed to us feeling that Portis was expendable. I could see the benefit to the patriots replacing Moss with Jackson, but there doesn't seem to be a major need at G in SD.