PDA

View Full Version : Moreno / Larson = OUT vs. Ravens

crush17
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/10/08/moreno-larsen-ruled-out-for-ravens/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Once again, it’s backups in the backfield for the Broncos.

Josh McDaniels announced Friday morning that running back Knowshon Moreno and fullback Spencer Larsen would miss Sunday’s game at Baltimore with hamstring and ankle injuries, respectively.

Laurence Maroney is expected to start for Moreno, while tight end Dan Gronkowski is once again expected to get the bulk of the fullback work. Denver also used offensive lineman Russ Hochstein at fullback in jumbo packages against the Titans last Sunday and might do so again this week.

“Knowshon and Spencer just aren’t ready to go,” McDaniels said. “I don’t think it’s the right thing to do to try to force them to play before they’re ready to go.”

It will be the third consecutive game Moreno has missed since hurting his hamstring in practice on Sep. 23, and the second straight absence for Larsen, who was injured in the first half of the Week 3 game against the Indianapolis Colts and hasn’t practiced since.

Moreno practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and “did okay,” McDaniels said, but was held out Thursday because he wasn’t back to full health.

“OTHER THAN THAT, we hope to have everybody ready to roll,” McDaniels said, pointing out that cornerback Andre Goodman “had a good practice” on Thursday and linebacker Wesley Woodyard “made it through” the Thursday session. Both were officially listed as “limited” on the Thursday post-practice injury report.

Goodman hasn’t played since suffering a quadriceps injury in the Week 2 win over Seattle; Woodyard has missed the last three games with an ankle injury.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Irish Stout
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

crush17
10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Someone fix the freaking thread starting issue already.

Kaylore
10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Losing Larsen has hurt the run game as much as losing Moreno has. It has also hurt our special teams.

cmhargrove
10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Maybe the Ravens can just put Maroney on IR and end the madness...

I'm pretty sure I would rather be rooting for Bruce Hall than Maroney at this point. Oh well, maybe McDaniels yelling at him for a week will have an impact.

baja
10-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll gladly trade the threat start problem for the lightening speed and zero crashes form the new server

Popps
10-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I can't even remember what Larsen looks like.

He's he ever played?

bronco militia
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM

:~ohyah!:

baja
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
BTW smoking a Romeo & Juliet Cuban cigar at the moment that is very tasty

Smiling Assassin27
10-08-2010, 11:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I would rather be rooting for Bruce Hall than Maroney at this point. Oh well, maybe McDaniels yelling at him for a week will have an impact.

You could pick up Julius Jones for a dime. At least bring the guy in. Call down to the Verizon Store on 16th Street Mall and tell Tatum Bell to come by Dove Valley once he's done putting up the new Chad display.

Los Broncos
10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Didn't we use a TE at FB last game?

broncofan2438
10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
What a mess this whole thing is. How could MCD not see that our running game was going to be lacking once Moreno went down beginning of camp?
Go out and make something happen! Damit MCDs

Los Broncos
10-08-2010, 11:28 AM
BTW smoking a Romeo & Juliet Cuban cigar at the moment that is very tasty

I hope you swallow it.

Popps
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
What a mess this whole thing is. How could MCD not see that our running game was going to be lacking once Moreno went down beginning of camp?
Go out and make something happen! Damit MCDs

He did.

He brought in Fargas and White.

White looked very solid in the preseason before getting hurt. Moreno was expected to be back to start the season, and he was.

Outside of that, I'm sure the thing he didn't expect is that we wouldn't be able to open a running lane to save our lives.

broncofan2438
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
He did.

He brought in Fargas and White.

White looked very solid in the preseason before getting hurt. Moreno was expected to be back to start the season, and he was.

Outside of that, I'm sure the thing he didn't expect is that we wouldn't be able to open a running lane to save our lives.

Your right. He did bring in some other guys to help out. We were very unlucky this year with RB's. That being said, any chance we make a run at another RB before trade deadline?

DomCasual
10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
What else does Maroney have to do to earn some time on the bench?

baja
10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Your right. He did bring in some other guys to help out. We were very unlucky this year with RB's. That being said, any chance we make a run at another RB before trade deadline?

when is the trade deadline???

TonyR
10-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Maroney is an easy and convenient whipping boy for our abomination of a running game. I guess it makes people feel better that they have someone/something to blame. Unfortunately if things don't improve we're going to find out that Maroney, as mediocre as he may by, isn't the problem.

Pony Boy
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Well......... let me be the first to say it....

If we still had Hillis our FB/RB would be a non-issue....

Kaylore
10-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Well......... let me be the first to say it....

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7796/chart3001.jpg

crowebomber
10-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't think we should be above raiding the UFL at this point. Bring DeDe Dorsey in for a look. Couldn't do much worse.

PRO CAREER: Explosive running back returns to Locomotives for a second season after spending 2010 training camp with the Detroit Lions… During the 2009 "Premiere" season, was one of the league's top players… Among league leaders in touchdowns (four), rushing yards (303), receptions (18), total yards from scrimmage (401), all-purpose yards (401) and was the UFL leader in yards per carry at 6.4… Has UFL records for both rushing yards in a game (139) and longest run (71), both set on October 30, 2009 against the Florida Tuskers… Also had a punt blocked for a safety… Was named the Most Valuable Player of the inaugural UFL Championship Game… Ran 11 times for 66 yards and two touchdowns, and caught four passes for 32 yards… Originally an undrafted free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006… Has played with the Indianapolis Colts (2006) and the Bengals (2007-08), seeing time in 29 NFL contests… Career totals include 26 carries for 191 yards and six catches for 68 yards.

Anaximines
10-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Losing Larsen has hurt the run game as much as losing Moreno has. It has also hurt our special teams.

Yeah, didn't we lose Larsen last year or something and that hurt our run game? I vaguely remember reading something that seemed insightful that said that a lot of our running problems could be attributed to the FB position. Maybe that was back in all of the Hillis discussion - when he was stuck blocking at FB instead of carrying the ball.

FB role seems under-appreciated in these running struggles.

Kaylore
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, didn't we lose Larsen last year or something and that hurt our run game? I vaguely remember reading something that seemed insightful that said that a lot of our running problems could be attributed to the FB position. Maybe that was back in all of the Hillis discussion - when he was stuck blocking at FB instead of carrying the ball.

Larsen is a very good lead blocker and a beast on special teams. Unfortunately his durability is becoming a concern.

Bob's your Information Minister
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Great news for you guys.

snowspot66
10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Well to be fair his long absence last year was a freak accident that still remains a mystery to the outside.

Pony Boy
10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7796/chart3001.jpg

HA..... I knew that would push a button..........where's pops? checking his blood pressure ROFL!

oubronco
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Didn't we use a TE at FB last game?

It didn't workout too well

Popps
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
HA..... I knew that would push a button..........where's pops? checking his blood pressure ROFL!

Blood pressure?

I think the Hillis thing is hilarious. It's pure comedy.

Sort of like his blocking...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtjtnVrfTWI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtjtnVrfTWI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

listopencil
10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise. Less Running Backs. Think about it. What if all of our RB's were out for the week? We'd have to pass the ball all of the time. We can't run the ball anyway, so we'd probably win. I'm going to go make up a Flying Donkey Offense t-shirt right now. Something like the Broncos logo with "FDO" over it and "FTW" under it, curved nicely.

PRBronco
10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Well to be fair his long absence last year was a freak accident that still remains a mystery to the outside.

He bailed while walking on a tile floor in his cleats didn't he?

bendog
10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
empty backfield as the base set!

NFLBRONCO
10-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Moreno has pandis

strafen
10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Losing Larsen has hurt the run game as much as losing Moreno has. It has also hurt our special teams.That's ****in' hilarious!

Pony Boy
10-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Fixed

Losing Larsen has hurt the run game as much as losing Moreno has. It has also hurt our not so special teams

Kaylore
10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
That's ****in' hilarious!
No it isn't. It's true.

Fixed

Losing Larsen has hurt the run game as much as losing Moreno has. It has also hurt our not so special teams
Yes, this is sadly true. However they have had two turnovers this year in our favor so they aren't as terrible as other years.

OABB
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Moreno has pandis

Seriously. A running back doesn't need a hamstring. What a pussy. Bust.

elsid13
10-08-2010, 03:25 PM

There would a strong case for that argument if McDaniel's offense didn't depend so much on 3 WR look. They have went to more traditional full backfield with FB this season because of the poor execution last season.

Dedhed
10-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Except for this week. He's reached his two start max and is apparently injured.

listopencil
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
empty backfield as the base set!

I'm dreaming in 5-wide.

FDO/FTW.

Que
10-08-2010, 06:15 PM
What else does Maroney have to do to earn some time on the bench?

I agree. It really seems unfair because he's earned his chance at the bench. You know? Let's take the hair for example. The guy has terrific hair but McD insists on keeping it confined in a helmet. Imagine what he could do if he didn't have that helmet on. The commercial breakaway shots would be amazing...

/sarcasm

In all fairness, I'm not ready to throw in the towel until I see him actually run behind some blocking. When you're getting repeated mushroom bruises 3 yards/years behind the LOS, that's not on him, that's on the Oline.

Pony Boy
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Except for this week. He's reached his two start max and is apparently injured.

Except Hillis will suck it up and play hurt :strong:

Los Broncos
10-08-2010, 11:47 PM
It didn't workout too well

Nothing worked in the running game.

OABB
10-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Except Hillis will suck it up and play hurt :strong:

Didn't hillis hurt his hamstring once and miss a few games?

Rock Chalk
10-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Didn't hillis hurt his hamstring once and miss a few games?

It was his pussy.

Rock Chalk
10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Awesome.

Bigdawg26
10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
LOL yeah I think a swollen mangina is a three week injury!

OABB
10-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Hillis benefits from his all skull head. His pea brain allows for more thick bone. He's like mongo from blazing saddles.

Hillis like candy.

TomServo
10-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Knoshon out? his under 4 ypc out? 4?
i meant 3.
i saw some dumbas ses on tv saying he would be a "big help" and "wait til the broncos get knoshon back.
hey we had him when he was healthy. you mean he could get worse(slower)

baja
10-10-2010, 01:19 AM
i meant 3.
i saw some dumbas ses on tv saying he would be a "big help" and "wait til the broncos get knoshon back.

I like you Tom but we hardly ever agree and this post is no exception. ;D

OABB
10-10-2010, 01:52 AM
i meant 3.

You suck as a poster.

LongDongJohnson
10-10-2010, 02:15 AM
i meant 3.

dont worry. we still have maroney and his 1 yard per carry.

lets hope stanley daniels actually desides to block someone today and maybe maroney can boost that to 2 yards per cary.