PDA

View Full Version : high school cancels game because other team is "too big"

Gort
10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
i can't at all agree with the decision by St. George's. it's wrong on so many levels. i have a couple of snide comments i'd like to make... but won't. i think the story speaks for itself.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Massachusetts-school-pulls-out-of-game-citing-si?urn=highschool-274799

Br0nc0Buster
10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
perhaps they should play soccer instead

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
these guys don't ever seem to have a problem with it

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1143002/lead620.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
please. just stick in the Rudy DVD and get their arses on the field.

oubronco
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
That is sooooooooo wrong militia

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 03:04 PM
That is sooooooooo wrong militia

what?

your sooners are lucky my falcons ran out of time.

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
i can't at all agree with the decision by St. George's. it's wrong on so many levels. i have a couple of snide comments i'd like to make... but won't. i think the story speaks for itself.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Massachusetts-school-pulls-out-of-game-citing-si?urn=highschool-274799

It's on the league itself for putting unfair competition together. I don't begrudge St. George for pulling out, especially if their kids are about 175-200lbs on the lines compared to the other school who has kids as big as 350lbs.

It's all on the league, rather then that particular school. This is why public high schools have different divisions. In general, the bigger schools have bigger, faster, more physical players than the smaller schools so the competition is more balanced. If these private schools can't divide up into divisions to even out the competition then shame on them, JMHO...

Another analogy... it's like Holy Cross playing Notre Dame or a DIII NAIA team playing a powerhouse NCAA D1 school and expecting to compete...

oubronco
10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
what?

your sooners are lucky my falcons ran out of time.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight keep thinking that

Gort
10-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Another analogy... it's like Holy Cross playing Notre Dame or a DIII NAIA team playing a powerhouse NCAA D1 school and expecting to compete...

no, it's really not.

does Holy Cross cancel the game because they're afraid the big bad meanies from Notre Dame will hurt their precious little butterfly players? no they don't. even if they don't stand a chance of winning, they play. because it's about the competition. it's about the challenge of taking on a task that seems impossible and giving it your best effort. even if you lose... you come away from the game knowing yourself a bit better.

i'm sorry, but this decision by St. George's is not the same. this is a bunch of metrosexual administrators who probably pee sitting down on the toilet. those kids are playing football for the enjoyment of the sport. so what if they are smaller and slower. it's not like they are playing the 1985 Bears out there. it's an opposing HS. injuries can happen at any time. no matter who you play. but there's no guarantee that this game would result in any more or any more serious injuries than normal.

but no... these precious little rainbow colored butterflies need to be protected from the big bad meanies on the other team. that's just wrong. if i was a player on St. George's, i'd be pretty disgusted by my school's administration for this decision. they should let the kids play.

whether or not the schools should be in the same division is a different issue. but they are in the same division now. this is a scheduled game. they should have allowed the kids to show up and play.

maybe i'm wrong, but that's my take on it.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight keep thinking that

I do think that..... I bet you've been ****ting diamonds the last three weeks after watching your sooners "dominate" Air Force, Cinci (lol), and Texas.

Ha!

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
no, it's really not.

does Holy Cross cancel the game because they're afraid the big bad meanies from Notre Dame will hurt their precious little butterfly players? no they don't. even if they don't stand a chance of winning, they play. because it's about the competition. it's about the challenge of taking on a task that seems impossible and giving it your best effort. even if you lose... you come away from the game knowing yourself a bit better.

i'm sorry, but this decision by St. George's is not the same. this is a bunch of metrosexual administrators who probably pee sitting down on the toilet. those kids are playing football for the enjoyment of the sport. so what if they are smaller and slower. it's not like they are playing the 1985 Bears out there. it's an opposing HS. injuries can happen at any time. no matter who you play. but there's no guarantee that this game would result in any more or any more serious injuries than normal.

but no... these precious little rainbow colored butterflies need to be protected from the big bad meanies on the other team. that's just wrong. if i was a player on St. George's, i'd be pretty disgusted by my school's administration for this decision. they should let the kids play.

whether or not the schools should be in the same division is a different issue. but they are in the same division now. this is a scheduled game. they should have allwoed the kids to show up and play.

You're completely missing the point.

Holy Cross is not in the same damn league as Notre Dame. There's a reason public high schools and colleges divide up into different divisions, different leagues, etc. It's because not all schools compete on the same level. That seems to be the case with St. George and Lawrence Academy. Obviously LA takes football way more seriously than St. George does so again, why is St. George even in the same league as LA?

Again, this is an indication the ISL league is not administered correctly...

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd like to hear what the team thinks...so far none of the players or coaches has been interviewed

tsiguy96
10-06-2010, 03:23 PM
its hard to blame them. this appears to be a game they literally couldnt compete in. like going to fight an army of navy seals with a stick. the other team beat every other team they played last year by 40+ points, with the exception of 2 teams.

gyldenlove
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
You are telling me a 17 year old is 350 pounds and athletic and he is not on the juice? riiiiight.

kappys
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
injuries can happen at any time. no matter who you play. but there's no guarantee that this game would result in any more or any more serious injuries than normal.

No guarantees but a little common sense suggests it's quite likely to be so. Then again maybe this other team is so dominant that once they're up by a few scores they would take it easy on the runts.

I see injuries like this constantly - scrawny kids pushed into playing football either by their own desire or their parents and competing against kids who are giants and way bigger than me - lots of injuries to go around. Fortunately most are broken bones and kids heal quick; but I've seen several bad ones. Size and muscle mass certainly do matter.

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 03:36 PM
You're completely missing the point.

Holy Cross is not in the same damn league as Notre Dame. There's a reason public high schools and colleges divide up into different divisions, different leagues, etc. It's because not all schools compete on the same level. That seems to be the case with St. George and Lawrence Academy. Obviously LA takes football way more seriously than St. George does so again, why is St. George even in the same league as LA?

Again, this is an indication the ISL league is not administered correctly...

Exactly. People are sitting here quick to the trigger to call another school/administration pussy.

At the end of the day, it's about the safety of the players as they've said. Was there even any information on the size differences?

JohnGalt is a ****ing moron.

sisterhellfyre
10-06-2010, 03:37 PM
does Holy Cross cancel the game because they're afraid the big bad meanies from Notre Dame will hurt their precious little butterfly players? no they don't. even if they don't stand a chance of winning, they play. because it's about the competition.

Pfui. It's about the payday for the smaller school, not the competition.

ghwk
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
no, it's really not.

whether or not the schools should be in the same division is a different issue. but they are in the same division now. this is a scheduled game. they should have allowed the kids to show up and play.

So that means I can put you in the ring with Chuck LaDell because the promoter set it up that way and you should just stick it out and take on the impossible task? You'd get killed and ofr what purpose?

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
if i was a player on St. George's, i'd be pretty disgusted by my school's administration for this decision. they should let the kids play.

That's the dumbest ****ing thought process one could have. Nothing but egotistical thinking, not taking anything into consideration, or any of the variables of the situation.

You're a ****ing dumbass.

Dedhed
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
We're talking about kids here, folks. This isn't the NFL, or college. It's absurd that a team averaging 40 point margins of victory is in that league.

Calling them pansies for not competing in what is clearly an unfair contest is idiotic.

Chris
10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
no, it's really not.

woah woah woah... don't hate on the metrosexuals. this is about mexicans.

Hogan11
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
please. just stick in the Rudy DVD and get their arses on the field.

That's what I'd do, but then I keep forgetting that it's okay (an in some cases even reguarded as admirable by some) to just outright quit these days.

vancejohnson82
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
so when I took on a 3 time State champ who hadnt let anyone out of the first period my senior year in wrestling, i should have not gone out there to compete and just forfeit...**** that

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
so when I took on a 3 time State champ who hadnt let anyone out of the first period my senior year in wrestling, i should have not gone out there to compete and just forfeit...**** that

Were you in the same weight class? If you were then you should compete. Wrestling is as much about knowing the correct moves as it is about sheer strength. I won me a match or two by knowing better moves than the other guy even though the other guy threw me around the mat...

Mogulseeker
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I could actually understand this if you've got a small private school with a bunch of 130 pounders playing an elite private school with state-wide recruits.

ghwk
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Get on board son you are missing the point. How'd you do?

Gort
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
That's the dumbest ****ing thought process one could have. Nothing but egotistical thinking, not taking anything into consideration, or any of the variables of the situation.

You're a ****ing dumbass.

i've had about enough of you.

you're a dick. you like to argue. you don't argue so much as call people names. it's well past time for you to be banned. or at least made to stand in the corner for a month.

welcome to the ignore list dickhead.

vancejohnson82
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Get on board son you are missing the point. How'd you do?

what is the point? was it injury concern or the fact that they couldnt be competitive in the game?

i got manhandled...lasted about 2 minutes which was about twice as long as anyone expected

Gort
10-06-2010, 04:51 PM
We're talking about kids here, folks. This isn't the NFL, or college. It's absurd that a team averaging 40 point margins of victory is in that league.

Calling them pansies for not competing in what is clearly an unfair contest is idiotic.

oh for crying out loud. it's not about the kids. it's the school administrators that are the problem. they knew for a year that the other team was on the schedule. i guarantee you it isn't about injury worries either. somebody at St. George's is playing politics with this. either to force some new rules on the league or to have the other team removed. to claim that they are doing this in the interest of safety for their students is what i have a problem with. the message is "quit in the face of adversity". you can't spin it any other way. these are private schools. the kids are not forced at gun point to go out for the football team. how would a coach react to a player who shows up on gameday and decides he doesn't want to play because he's afraid he might get hurt? this was a dumb decision by that school's administration. they could have cancelled over the summer and given the opponent a chance to line up other competition that week. they didn't. i'm sorry, but the world is not fair. coddling your kids doesn't get them ready for the world. we are talking about football afterall. not a boximg match. not an MMA match. nor any of the other silly comparisons that are being made above. there are rules. there is safety equipment. it's not like the other team is out trying to injure their opponents.

HAT
10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Broncos should do this this weekend. Balty is way too mean and scary. I'm guessing 45-3.

ghwk
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
what is the point? was it injury concern or the fact that they couldnt be competitive in the game?

i got manhandled...lasted about 2 minutes which was about twice as long as anyone expected

Ok now do it for 60 minutes against someone, what, 4 weight classes up where he actually gets to hit you? In this case why? Im not saying puss out is the right thing to do in most situations but the league fdup in this case.

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I really see both sides of the argument. There is no right answer here.

loborugger
10-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I really see both sides of the argument. There is no right answer here.

I am with you, straddling the fence. Kids 300 lbs and above in HS? Wow. I have a 15 year old son, and he has been involved in both rugby and football. On one hand, I wouldn't want him to just up and say, 'this is too tough.' On the other hand, I wouldn't want him to take the field against kids who are literally twice his size. You play sports for fun, exercise, learning about yourself, and a chance to win. I dont see how any of those reasons (outside of the exercise) is met by getting crushed by people twice your size.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Ok now do it for 60 minutes against someone, what, 4 weight classes up where he actually gets to hit you? In this case why? Im not saying puss out is the right thing to do in most situations but the league fdup in this case.
If the coach is "scared for his players safety" then that coach needs to GO! If you can't coach a kid up, to be able to COMPETE with an opponent then you're not a real coach, and you WILL get your kids hurt.

At an amateur level, I once played against a 350lb opponent. It was one of the hardest games I have ever played, but I stuck it to that mother ****er on EVERY play, right up to the whistle I wouldn't stop, even told the QB I wanted to run a no-huddle so I could get more shots on him as he got tired.
I weighed about 205 and started at DE, moved to C about 10 mins into the game, because our guy got hurt. He was a native New Zealander, weighed about 350+, played NT, ... and was angry that I was able to slow him down like I did.
There's a longer version of the story, but in the end: There were ZERO fumbled snaps, my QB did NOT get sacked, his bench were "howling" at his lack of effect on the game, while on my bench some of the younger guys were in awe when I went by ... and we lost. Great game though, one I'll never forget!;)