PDA

View Full Version : Physical practices planned for Broncos

HEAV
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
It was the first domino, and when it was toppled just more than a year ago, the rest of the 2009 season went with it for the Broncos.

The Broncos return to Baltimore on Sunday, the place where the Ravens' 30-7 victory put the brakes on the Broncos' 6-0 start and began the 2-8 limp through the rest of the season that pushed Denver's playoff plans off the drawing board.

"You always know what you're going to get there," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "We got it (last year). You get it any time you go there. You better be prepared for it or bad things will happen."

On Nov. 1, all of those bad things did happen. Jarrett Johnson sacked Kyle Orton on the Broncos' first offensive play. Baltimore safety Ed Reed plowed into Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno in the first quarter, knocking the ball out, a tone-setting collision that led to the Ravens' first points of what became a 23-point victory.

The Ravens returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco threw only five incomplete passes. A Broncos defense that had owned third down going into the game allowed the Ravens to convert 11-of-18, including 6-of-8 in the second half when Baltimore rushed for 90 yards.

All of which had been seven days in the making, Broncos coach Josh Mc- Daniels said this week.

"We had a bad week of preparation, a bad week of practice last year before we played the Ravens," McDaniels said. "They're a really good football team, a physical football team. We're going to need to be ready to play our most physical game of the year against them."

Last year, the Broncos were coming off a bye week before their trip to Baltimore. They were the talk of the NFL, having opened McDaniels' inaugural season as coach at 6-0 with victories over the Patriots, Cowboys and Chargers along the way.

The Ravens looked to be the far more physical team in last season's meeting, but the Broncos still trailed only 6-0 at the half.

That changed in the space of 14 seconds when Lardarius Webb returned the second-half kickoff 95 yards for a score, and the Ravens followed by scoring on three of their last four possessions of the game to close things out.

To try to avoid a potential repeat, McDaniels said he plans to keep the Broncos on the physical edge in practice this week.

"We need to have a great week of practice, so I think we'll be out there in pads," McDaniels said.

Said wide receiver Eddie Royal: "You always want to have a good week of practice because you feel a lot better going into the game about your game plan, about the plays that you want to run, and we didn't have our best week of practice (last season). When you are playing a team like the Ravens, you really have to have a good week of practice and be focused and be ready to come out and compete because it's going to be a tough game."

The Broncos are battling more than a little statistical weight as well. The team is 0-4 all time facing the Ravens in Baltimore, having been outscored 111-39 in those four games.

And despite their hard-earned victory over the Titans this past Sunday, opposing teams have won only 40 percent of the time the week after games against Tennessee, dating to the start of the 1999 season.

"We need that tough mind-set, that we'll do whatever it takes to get it done," safety Brian Dawkins said. "That has to be our mentality this week and every week."

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd love for the Broncos to hand the ratbirds a loss on their home field... can someone essplain why the Broncos have to travel to Baltimore two years in a row?

broncosteven
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd love for the Broncos to hand the ratbirds a loss on their home field... can someone essplain why the Broncos have to travel to Baltimore two years in a row?

Didn't we get Cincy 2 years on the road during the SB run and just tear them apart?

scorpio
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
And despite their hard-earned victory over the Titans this past Sunday, opposing teams have won only 40 percent of the time the week after games against Tennessee, dating to the start of the 1999 season.

This is really scraping the bottom of the meaningless statistics barrel.

Natedogg
10-06-2010, 01:12 PM

I would really love an analytical break down of why it seems we have to play Indy every ****ing year. (And Baltimore to only a slightly lesser extent.) I understand the broad reasons, but if some one does a year by year break down, I'll give you rep, lol. ROFL!

Rock Chalk
10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I would really love an analytical break down of why it seems we have to play Indy every ****ing year. (And Baltimore to only a slightly lesser extent.) I understand the broad reasons, but if some one does a year by year break down, I'll give you rep, lol. ROFL!

Blame the effing Chargers.

We get Indy this year because of the division we play is the AFC South but in the OTHER years we have just had the unremarkably bad luck if finishing in the same effing place in our division as Indy did in theirs.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 01:23 PM

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afcw.htm

look at the future schedule and you should be able to figure it out. The Broncos finished 2nd in the division in 2009, therefore they were matched up with the B-more and the Ny Jets. These are the only games on a teams schedule that are determined by the previous years record. It's been this way since 2002.

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Regular Season
Date Site Venue Res Tm Opp
Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009 Baltimore M&T Bank Stadium L 7 30
Monday, Oct. 9, 2006 Denver Invesco Field at Mile High W 13 3
Sunday, Dec. 11, 2005 Denver Invesco Field at Mile High W 12 10
Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003 Baltimore M&T Bank Stadium L 6 26
Monday, Sept. 30, 2002 Baltimore Ravens Stadium L 23 34
Sunday, Sept. 30, 2001 Denver Invesco Field at Mile High L 13 20
Sunday, Oct. 20, 1996 Denver Mile High Stadium W 45 34

Post Season
Sunday, Dec. 31, 2000 Baltimore PSINet Stadium L 3 21

OldschoolFreak
10-06-2010, 01:27 PM

We don't play Indy every year, it just seems that way. So how the scheduling works is every year we play the following:
-A-Home and home against the division= 6 games
-B-1 NFC division (all teams)--this rotates every year so we play each NFC team every 4 years and no more=4 games
-C-1 AFC division (all teams)--this also rotates yearly but we play some teams more than every three years because of D=4 games
-D-All remaining AFC teams who finished in the same position in their division as the Broncos did the previous year =2 games

So, this year we were on rotation to have the entire AFC South so we had to play the Colts. Last year we played them because, like us, they finished 2nd in their division the prior year-we didn't play any other teams from the AFC South last year.

Kaylore
10-06-2010, 01:37 PM

look at the future schedule and you should be able to figure it out. The Broncos finished 2nd in the division in 2009, therefore they were matched up with the B-more and the Ny Jets. These are the only games on a teams schedule that are determined by the previous years record. It's been this way since 2002.

So we play the Colts again next year and the year after that and then again in '13. They may as well be a division rival.

TheReverend
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM

There's a meaningless stat if I've ever seen one...

gyldenlove
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
So we play the Colts again next year and the year after that and then again in '13. They may as well be a division rival.

Only if the Colts win their division this year and next...

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM

That link doesn't say that...
Home - New England, NY Jets, Chicago, Detroit
Away - Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota
Home - Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina
Away - Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
There's a meaningless stat if I've ever seen one...

Doesn't that mean teams won 60 percent of their games after the Titans...

bronco militia

it's possible...2013 and 2016 guaranteed

Steve Sewell

The Broncos have been victims of KC and Oakland sucking major **** balls for the last 7-8 years.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
The Broncos have been victims of KC and Oakland sucking major **** balls for the last 7-8 years.

I'd argue that the Broncos have been the victims of their own suckyness

Steve Sewell
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I think he's implying that the Broncos and Indy are going to win their respective divisions in those years.

Steve Sewell
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd argue that the Broncos have been the victims of their own suckyness

My point being that, no matter how badly we've sucked, KC and Oak sucked worse and we have had pretty tough scheduling as a result.

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I think he's implying that the Broncos and Indy are going to win their respective divisions in those years.

Ah, well, then please carry on. Nice Avy.

Kaylore
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM

I was reading it wrong. I saw "AFC South" and assumed we played the whole division. So just the team that matched our ranking then for those divisions.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
My point being that, no matter how badly we've sucked, KC and Oak sucked worse and we have had pretty tough scheduling as a result.

you're telling me that you didn't know the chorfs and faid were going to suck this bad?

Ha!

Gort
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM

+1 from me too for an answer (the funnier the better!)

the Broncos get no respect when it comes to scheduling. early season games in FL? late season games in KC? having to travel to that port-a-potty known as Oakland Coliseum every year?

:D

Smilin Assassin
10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Regular Season

Post Season

We've won 2 of the past three, and split the series since '96? (including playoffs)

I mean, I remember the wins...I guess I just remember the losses more. Who'd a thunk it..

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
We've won 2 of the past three, and split the series since '96? (including playoffs)

I mean, I remember the wins...I guess I just remember the losses more. Who'd a thunk it..

Including playoffs, we're 3-5.

I clearly remember the Monday Night Football game in 2002. Ugly. I actually thought the final score was worse, to be honest.

TheChamp24
10-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Dude, are you trippin? We're 3-5 including the playoffs. Our 2 wins in recent years have been dogfight, close games while their wins have mostly been blowouts.

Including playoffs, we're 3-5.

I clearly remember the Monday Night Football game in 2002. Ugly. I actually thought the final score was worse, to be honest.

People just remember the 1st half of that game, which the score was 31-3 at halftime. We got absolutely demolished in that 1st half in every way. Then Baltimore kicks a field goal to make it 34-3 to open the 3rd.
Jason Elam actually missed a very makeable field goal around the 2 minute mark in the 4th that would've made it a 1 score game. The 2nd half was kind of amazing, but I think part of it is due to Baltimore putting the snooze button on.

Missouribronc
10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Dude, are you trippin? We're 3-5 including the playoffs. Our 2 wins in recent years have been dogfight, close games while their wins have mostly been blowouts.

People just remember the 1st half of that game, which the score was 31-3 at halftime. We got absolutely demolished in that 1st half in every way. Then Baltimore kicks a field goal to make it 34-3 to open the 3rd.
Jason Elam actually missed a very makeable field goal around the 2 minute mark in the 4th that would've made it a 1 score game. The 2nd half was kind of amazing, but I think part of it is due to Baltimore putting the snooze button on.

I was in college. Me and Big Joe were hammered by halftime and probably playing video games. I totally don't remember the second half of that game.

Smilin Assassin
10-06-2010, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=McFoneco1331;2961488]Dude, are you trippin? We're 3-5 including the playoffs. Our 2 wins in recent years have been dogfight, close games while their wins have mostly been blowouts.
[QUOTE]

My bad. Was looking in the wrong column. And, I remember the dog fights in Denver. But, that was my point....the blowout losses are all I can think of when I think of the series.

Would be nice to make a statement in their house this year.

Natedogg
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Regular Season

Post Season

The October 20 game was my second ever broncos game... on my 14th birthday!

Natedogg
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the insight. Anyone know what the rules were like before 2003?

WolfpackGuy
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
That game in 2003 sucked except for the guy in front of us that fell asleep in his nachos.

The Broncos were right in that one for awhile and I can remember Kanell missing Lelie TWICE downfield.

It was also John Mobley's last game.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
The October 20 game was my second ever broncos game... on my 14th birthday!

I got free tickets to that game.

I think Eddy Mac's first start and three TD's.

TD with a 70 yard TD

and Elway with a scramble for TD to close out the scoring.

what a great day!