PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss to Vikings for 3rd round pick

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Adam_Schefter Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: When the Randy Moss-to-Minnesota trade is completed later, Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return from Vikings.

Bronco Rob
10-06-2010, 05:07 AM
:wave:

Baba Booey
10-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Only a third rounder? Wow.

The Joker
10-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Like the deal from the Vikings POV to be honest, Moss still has a few years left in him and the change of scenery will do him good.

TDmvp
10-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Only a third rounder? Wow.

He's 33 and will be almost 34 by seasons end.

He's about done...

Mogulseeker
10-06-2010, 05:55 AM
The Vikings are putting all their eggs in one basket, and scheming to win NOW.

They're 1-2, but you gotta figure Childress thinks this is their year. They're loaded with talent, so we'll see. Need to limit turnovers though.

Killericon
10-06-2010, 06:13 AM
I'll be rooting for him.

TDmvp
10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Well I guess I know who Farve's (yea I spelled it wrong , F him) last attempt and pick of the season will be intended for ...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii91/TheHardcoreMan/favre-fail-o.gif

wonder if I can bet that in Vegas.

KS Bronco
10-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Didn't the patriots give a 4th to the faid for him? Good investment on their part!

supermanhr9
10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
No , they gave the Raiders a sixth. great ROI especially considering what he has produced since being there. Moss is a freak, he will be catching balls until he's 40, most likely the only one with a chance to break Jerry Rice's record.

Jetmeck
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
sOUNDS LIKE A mCdUMMY MOVE......DAMN stupid on the patriots part

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Didn't the patriots give a 4th to the faid for him? Good investment on their part!

Yes.

No , they gave the Raiders a sixth.

Ummmmm, no.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2853116

bowtown
10-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Where's mock?

Dedhed
10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Wow. I just traded him in FF football prior to Sunday's game. I must be a mastermind like Belichik :)

Man-Goblin
10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I thought it was going to be a lot higher. At least a 2nd, especially because the Vikings are so desperate. I guess we'll just have to get used to a world where Lawrence Maroney is worth a 4th and Randy Moss is worth a 3rd.

SoDak Bronco
10-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I have Moss on my fantasy team. cool thing about this for FF owners, he doesn't have a bye week this season. Vikes had theirs last week, and he is traded this week during the pat's bye week. Back to back MNF games, but since he didn't have a catch last game, he basically did have a bye week. Hope he tears it up. Also, I see in 5 weeks they visit the Pats.

SleepingTiger
10-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Wow, is Bellicheat thinking he can't win it this year and is banking on future draft picks? The Patriots have now 2-1st, 2-2nd, 2-3rd and 2-4th. How does next years draft look?

TDmvp
10-06-2010, 07:40 AM
. I guess we'll just have to get used to a world where Lawrence Maroney is worth a 4th and Randy Moss is worth a 3rd.

:alghh:

Man-Goblin
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow, is Bellicheat thinking he can't win it this year and is banking on future draft picks? The Patriots have now 2-1st, 2-2nd, 2-3rd and 2-4th. How does next years draft look?

I was thinking about that earlier when compared to how haphazard McDaniels/Xanders have been with a few of the Broncos picks.

I think it's just a function of Belichick having the job security to just stockpile picks and build for the future. He's in about year 5 or 6 of the "coach for life" 10 year grace period awarded coaches that build dynasties. Kind of similar to Shanahan.

But when you're a young coach and GM, I guess you do whatever it is you think can make you win now. Curse you Alphonso Smith and Richard Quinn.

Dedhed
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
II guess we'll just have to get used to a world where Lawrence Maroney is worth a 4th and Randy Moss is worth a 3rd.

Try to follow the bouncing ball.

Dagmar
10-06-2010, 07:48 AM
:alghh:

People who hate Josh McDaniels do EVERYTHING they can to lie to make him look bad.

We got a 6th and Maroney for a 4th.

Man-Goblin
10-06-2010, 07:49 AM
People who hate Josh McDaniels do EVERYTHING they can to lie to make him look bad.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Good point. I am far from a McDaniels hater, though.

Dagmar
10-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that. Good point. I am far from a McDaniels hater, though.

Sorry, it just pisses me off, I have heard this so many times in the last 12 hours and I am tired of people being critical of the move with the wrong facts.

I'll not deny he has looked like **** and would rather we'd have given up a 4th and a conditional for Lynch but plan on giving Maroney more than 2 games before casting him out.

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Looks like someone's REALLY betting on there not being a lockout next year. Would suck to not be able to sign any of those draft picks if there's no football.

TonyR
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Not to mention that Maroney is young and cheap whereas Moss is old and expensive. I assume the Vikes will be giving Moss an extension as part of the deal.

TonyR
10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Looks like someone's REALLY betting on there not being a lockout next year.

Good business move for the Pats but you do have to question this from a football perspective. This is a win now business and losing Moss certainly doesn't bolster NE's position as a contender this year. He's an important part of that offense.

gyldenlove
10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Not to mention that Maroney is young and cheap whereas Moss is old and expensive. I assume the Vikes will be giving Moss an extension as part of the deal.

Not to mention that Randy Moss is talented and produces, while Maroney is slow and scared.

gyldenlove
10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
How long before he gets disgruntled when he realizes he is just a stop gap for now because Favre is probably gone at the end of the year and Sidney Rice will be back for next season? I put the over/under at 2.5 games.

lostknight
10-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow. I just traded him in FF football prior to Sunday's game. I must be a mastermind like Belichik :)

I honestly think he is a lot more valuable now, after the trade.

All that being said, another example of how NE makes great personal decisions. How many draft picks do they have next year?

Traveler
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Where does this trade position the PATS as far as draft picks? Seems like they now have two picks in each of the first four rounds now. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

TonyR
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Not to mention that Randy Moss is talented and produces, while Maroney is slow and scared.

Moss is more of an impact player and that's why Min had to give up more to get him than we had to give up to get Maroney. I don't think you've come up with some profound revelation here.

TonyR
10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
...another example of how NE makes great personal decisions...

As I mentioned above, this is a good medium to long term decision but certainly not a good short term decision. Are the Pats better today than they were yesterday? Decidedly not.

Traveler
10-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I honestly think he is a lot more valuable now, after the trade.

All that being said, another example of how NE makes great personal decisions. How many draft picks do they have next year?

I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio this morning. According to Peter King, Belichik is good friends with Jimmy Johnson. They supposedly meet on Jimmy's boat down in FLA and talk personnel strategy among other things.

King mentioned the thing Jimmy stresses to Bill is he should acquired as many picks as possible. That allows him to somewhat control the draft. Especially this upcoming draft since they have the Raiders pick in round one.

I'd say Belichik has done well in that regard.

Traveler
10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Just found this from ESPN:

When the trade is completed, the Patriots will have two picks in each of the first four rounds of the 2011 draft -- their own picks and a first-round pick from Oakland, a second-round pick from Carolina, the third-round pick from Minnesota and a fourth-rounder from Denver.

Freaking amazing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186

bowtown
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Just found this from ESPN:

Freaking amazing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186

It's sure going to suck for them when there is no draft next year.

Durango
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Moss has said he wants a chance to see what he can do with Favre at QB. Yeah, good luck with that. You're going from a system where the ball is delivered in the numbers to one where it might find it's way to the right zip code.

scorpio
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Who's to say the Patriots don't turn around and use some of those picks to go get Vincent Jackson?

(besides AJ Smith)

Traveler
10-06-2010, 09:16 AM
It's sure going to suck for them when there is no draft next year.

From my understanding, the draft will proceed regardless of a lockout. Read that someplace during the offseason. I'll try to find it.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't know how this helps the pats....are they betting on the special teams scoring 28 points every week?

bowtown
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't know how this helps the pats....are they betting on the special teams scoring 28 points every week?

It doesn't help the Pats this season, but with their defense they weren't going anywhere this season, whether they had Moss or not.

bowtown
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
From my understanding, the draft will proceed regardless of a lockout. Read that someplace during the offseason. I'll try to find it.

Yes, I'm sure they will. It would just make me all fuzzy inside if they somehow decided not to though.

pdaddy
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Who's to say the Patriots don't turn around and use some of those picks to go get Vincent Jackson?

(besides AJ Smith)

I don't see AJ and Belichick as likely trading partners. But stranger things have happened.

Rock Chalk
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio this morning. According to Peter King, Belichik is good friends with Jimmy Johnson. They supposedly meet on Jimmy's boat down in FLA and talk personnel strategy among other things.

King mentioned the thing Jimmy stresses to Bill is he should acquired as many picks as possible. That allows him to somewhat control the draft. Especially this upcoming draft since they have the Raiders pick in round one.

I'd say Belichik has done well in that regard.

Except his draft picks the last few years have been absolute dog ****.

Grumps
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Lose talent on the field, but they probably gain some cohesiveness in the lockerroom and might play better as a team without his distractions.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

no doubt.....Belicock needs all the draft picks he can get

Mr.Meanie
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
The 2 2nd's we got for Brandon Marshall is looking pretty freaking amazing right about now...

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Yes. There will be a draft regardless. However, if there is a lockout, no team is allowed to actually sign their draft picks. They would have to wait until the lockout ends and a new CBA is in place before they can even begin negotiations.

gyldenlove
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

The 2005 draft was strong, the 06, 07 and 08 drafts netted them a kicker, a safety and a linebacker combined, pure suckage.

The 09 draft is starting to come alive, Chung and Vollmer are both decent, Tate is showing some promise and Edelman is not bad. But with that many 2nd and 3rd round picks they really should come up with a number of contributors.

TonyR
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
...distractions.

Multiple sources tell us in the wake of the deal that sent receiver Randy Moss from the Patriots to the Vikings for a third-round pick that the trade became a necessity because Moss was becoming an in-house distraction for the Patriots.

Per one source, Moss "was pissing [coach] Bill [Belichick] off at every turn." The source opined that Belichick wouldn't have given Moss to Minnesota for a third-round pick unless Belichick knew that keeping him could hurt the team.

As another source explained it, some players were becoming more and more frustrated with Moss, who reportedly asked for a trade after his Week One postgame tirade regarding his perceived lack of appreciation, based on the actual lack of a contract extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/06/sources-moss-was-becoming-a-distraction-in-new-england/

Kaylore
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Yeah that's impressive. They gave up a fourth, used him as he went gangbusters until he had 10% left in the tank, and then traded him for a third.

Also they got a 4th for Moroney who was going to be cut and is worth nothing. The Patriots know how to work people over.

CEH
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
The Pats just sped up the 3rd rounder compensation.
They would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick in '12 for Moss

Reports out of ESPNBoston.com is he blew up at halftime with the QB coach and was becoming a distraction

Not really a planned stategic move

TonyR
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Also they got a 4th for Moroney who was going to be cut and is worth nothing.

I'm almost alone on an island with this opinion but I still think people are a little too negative on Maroney. He's not a great player and certainly not worthy of his draft postion, but he was the Pats starter and by far their leading rusher last season and in 2007 (he was injured most of 2008). He's really not that bad, and certainly not as bad as he's looked in this offense thus far.

supermanhr9
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes.

Ummmmm, no.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2853116

Yeah my bad.

bronco militia
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
meanwhile, I hope both teams finish 2-14.

HAT
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Clearly, Bob Kraft is broke. :afro:

Dagmar
10-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Report: Randy Moss had halftime outburst at Patriots assistant (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/06/report-randy-moss-had-halftime-outburst-at-patriots-assistant/)

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 6, 2010 1:51 PM ET
The Patriots' decision to trade Randy Moss (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1655) to the Vikings may have been motivated by an incident at halftime of New England's Monday night game in Miami.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com reports that Moss and Patriots quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien had a heated exchange at halftime (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5655198&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5655198) on Monday night.

One player described the incident as an "outburst," apparently motivated by the fact that Moss only had one pass thrown to him in the first half. O'Brien calls the offensive plays, and Moss didn't have any passes thrown to him in the second half.

Reiss's report meshes with Mike Florio's report that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was getting pissed off at Moss (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/06/sources-moss-was-becoming-a-distraction-in-new-england/). The coaches in New England appear to have decided that Moss was more trouble than he was worth. Only time can tell whether Brad Childress eventually reaches a similar conclusion...

boltaneer
10-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Poor Vincent Jackson has no team to go to now.

I like this move as it weakens the Patriots for this year.

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I like this move as it weakens the Patriots for this year.

That's all I keep hearing from my Jets fan friends.

And next year, too, in reality.

misturanderson
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes. There will be a draft regardless. However, if there is a lockout, no team is allowed to actually sign their draft picks. They would have to wait until the lockout ends and a new CBA is in place before they can even begin negotiations.

And how many Juniors are going to declare for the draft so they can wait a year to make some money? I would bet that this coming draft is one of the worst in the history of the league if a CBA isn't figured out by then. There may be some good first round talent, but I bet it tapers off quickly.

Hogan11
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm not surprised by the move at all. Belicheck doesn't put up with players who shoot their mouths off for very long, the outburst was obivously the straw that broke the back.

extralife
10-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Minnesota will actually use Moss? I know the Pats have had Welker, but they pretty much turned Randy into a one dimensional player. The guy has a lot more in his arsenal than the go, post, and red zone fade.

KCStud
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Awesome. Now Moss gets to embarrass Revis again on national television when they play the Jets on Monday

Hogan11
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Awesome. Now Moss gets to embarrass Revis again on national television when they play the Jets on Monday

Isn't he still out with a bad hammy?

I know he's been in limited practices, but I'd be surprised to see him.

WolfpackGuy
10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Who else do the Pats have at wideout other than Welker who rarely goes downfield?

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Who else do the Pats have at wideout other than Welker who rarely goes downfield?

That's what I was thinking, whose going to take Moss' spot.

Only person I can think of is Tate.

KevinJames
10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Bill is destroying the team.

Jetmeck
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Bill is destroying the team.

Hope it bites him in the a$$

WolfpackGuy
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
That's what I was thinking, whose going to take Moss' spot.

Only person I can think of is Tate.

I see he has 11 catches, but I can't imagine any of them being downfield.

I guess they're banking on scoring multiple return TD's a week!

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I see he has 11 catches, but I can't imagine any of them being downfield.

I guess they're banking on scoring multiple return TD's a week!

It's about someone stepping up.

But they're probably going to focus much more on the short - intermediate game.

Jetmeck
10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I mean God al mighty Brady can only do so much.

gtown
10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I guess NE wants to reload. Who do they have to stretch the field?

gunns
10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
As I mentioned above, this is a good medium to long term decision but certainly not a good short term decision. Are the Pats better today than they were yesterday? Decidedly not.

Why not? They scored 41 pts on the road without using Moss. He was only the Pats top receiver in 2007. He was added insurance but Brady has enough targets that are reliable. Hell he's turned a TE into their top receiver this year. That being said, if Moss really wants to play he could have great success in Minnesota, he's still capable.

Plus Minnesota also got a 7th rounder in 2012. Looks like a good deal for both sides. Which cannot be said for us, with Maroney. I didn't like this pickup from the beginning, wouldn't have liked it for a 7th. And all you holier than thou, I do not hate McD. I hate Maroney.

WolfpackGuy
10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
It's about someone stepping up.

But they're probably going to focus much more on the short - intermediate game.

I agree.

Most of their current guys seem to be "get out in space" types.

The MVPlaya
10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Why not? They scored 41 pts on the road without using Moss. He was only the Pats top receiver in 2007. He was added insurance but Brady has enough targets that are reliable. Hell he's turned a TE into their top receiver this year. That being said, if Moss really wants to play he could have great success in Minnesota, he's still capable.

Plus Minnesota also got a 7th rounder in 2012. Looks like a good deal for both sides. Which cannot be said for us, with Maroney. I didn't like this pickup from the beginning, wouldn't have liked it for a 7th. And all you holier than thou, I do not hate McD. I hate Maroney.

They scored 20 on offense and Moss adds another dimension to the offense.

Even Patriots fans know it's not exactly the best thing for the offense.

It's pretty ****ing pathetic how you can defend another team and not the Broncos though. (joke)

Hercules Rockefeller
10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Moss, Peterson, Rice, and Shicancoe on offense, and a great defense. The Vikings are a serious Super Bowl threat with just average QB play for the next couple of seasons.

BigPlayShay
10-06-2010, 04:41 PM
So, if Moss plays Monday Night, he will be only the 2nd player in NFL history to play back to back Monday Night games. If he plays Monday and in all the remaining regular season games for the Vikes he will play 17 regular season games this season...

gunns
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
They scored 20 on offense and Moss adds another dimension to the offense.

Even Patriots fans know it's not exactly the best thing for the offense.

It's pretty ****ing pathetic how you can defend another team and not the Broncos though. (joke)

It's a team sport and without Randy Moss they scored 41 pts. Granted Miami basically gave them the game but the truth is Moss hasn't been a huge factor in the wins the Pats have had. He had 2 TD's in the Buffalo game but only 42 yds total. Pats aren't the SB juggernaut they were with or without Moss, the majority of their troubles lie on defense.

Glad you could take what I said and turn it into a joke. :)

Chris
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Just makes me realise how much we owned the dolphins with the Marshall trade.

extralife
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
It's a team sport and without Randy Moss they scored 41 pts. Granted Miami basically gave them the game but the truth is Moss hasn't been a huge factor in the wins the Pats have had. He had 2 TD's in the Buffalo game but only 42 yds total. Pats aren't the SB juggernaut they were with or without Moss, the majority of their troubles lie on defense.

Glad you could take what I said and turn it into a joke. :)

this is just ignorant. Even if he doesn't have a catch, Randy Moss being on the field effects the game. Do you really think Wes Welker gets 224 catches over two years without a safety glued to Moss?

TonyR
10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
this is just ignorant. Even if he doesn't have a catch, Randy Moss being on the field effects the game. Do you really think Wes Welker gets 224 catches over two years without a safety glued to Moss?

Yup, was going to answer pretty much the same thing but you beat me to it. Moss stretches the field and he has to be accounted for on every play. Now teams have one less thing to worry about and scheme for when they play the Pats.

oubronco
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
This was a stupid trade for the Pats

WABronco
10-06-2010, 07:14 PM
BB has the cred to back stuff like this up. That and he's going to be drafting half of 2011's eligible players.

Hogan11
10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
BB has the cred to back stuff like this up.

You don't cross certain bosses......BB clearly is one of them.

baja
10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Getting two 2nd's for the troubled Marshall is some pretty crafty trading.

TonyR
10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Interesting...and odd.

Belichick: I've never had an incident with Randy Moss
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 7, 2010 12:11 PM ET

Patriots coach Bill Belichick called an unscheduled press conference on Thursday to talk about the Randy Moss trade. That's right, Belichick voluntarily met with the media.

We figured, then, he had something definitive to say. And Belichick didn't disappoint, with one of the stranger press conferences we've ever seen.

Belichick spent the six minute session defending Moss and strongly dismissing reports about friction between Moss and the coaching staff.

"Absolutely not true, a total fabrication," Belichick said. "I didn't talk to Randy on the plane. There's no incident. I've never had one with Randy. Not in four years."

Belichick almost seemed emotional when talking about Moss' departure. He couldn't have backed up Moss any more strongly. Belichick said the move was done "in the best interests of the team" and a variety of factors came into play.

"Part of it was our personal relationship," Belichick tellingly said when asked about the factors.

The Patriots coach insisted he's always had a forthright, respectful relationship with Moss and that continued until the day Moss was traded. Perhaps Moss was open in his desire to leave and Belichick didn't want to battle him on it.

Belichick also said that Tom Brady had no input throughout the decision-making process.

"Tom doesn't make personnel decisions. Tom's a player," Belichick said.

But Lawrence Taylor's ex-coach knows better than anyone that not all players are created or treated equally. Thursday's bizarre press conference was proof.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/07/belichick-ive-never-had-an-incident-with-randy-moss/

Mediator12
10-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Moss was double covered 85% of the game, so they did use him to great success in the MIA game. He allowed average players to get one on one coverage and beat it all game long. That is still his greatest asset, he dictates coverage more than other teams can allow.

MIN desperately needs a player like Moss to give their other mediocre Skill players a chance in the passing game. He will change the coverages they face and allow Favre to throw some real deep balls to get eight in the box off of Peterson.

Maroney is a seperate issue altogether. Not a good pick for NE as they never went to a zone blocking running game like they were going to do. Same thing with Maroney in DEN. The guy is a zone blocking RB type on an angle blocking team, Again. However, he knew the system and terminology well enough to play almost immediately from a trade. That was a huge factor in acquiring him. Just a round peg in a square hole though.

Bronco_Fan_27
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow New England is going to have a lot of quality picks in this years draft.. and knowing how good they usually draft, they will probably get a lot of quality players