PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels says team will go full pads Wednesday and Thursday to try and fix run game

montrose
10-05-2010, 07:31 AM
SI_PeterKing Peter King
Den rushed 20 times for 19 yards Sunday. Josh McD just told me/Papa on Sirius that Broncs will go full pads Wed/Thur trying to fix run game.

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing

Rabb
10-05-2010, 07:35 AM
This will be a fun thread, I know it

spdirty
10-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Good. I agree completely. Just hope nobody gets hurt.

montrose
10-05-2010, 07:57 AM
He also said in yesterday's presser they had a horrid week of practice last year before playing Baltimore, and they know this is going to be the most physical game of the year.

dbfan21
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Time to get nasty and beat the Ravens at their own game!

bronco militia
10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Time to get nasty and beat the Ravens at their own game!

is that you, Jeff Fisher?

Ha!

Los Broncos
10-05-2010, 08:06 AM
The Ravens are a bunch of powderpuffs, **** them up!

broncofan2438
10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Great, better add some more RB to the roster.

TheProfessor
10-05-2010, 08:13 AM
any word on Knowshon?

supermanhr9
10-05-2010, 08:33 AM
If we have Knowshon, I will be a lot more confident. We all just need to thank our lucky stars that Ed Reed won't be in uniform Sunday. We shoudl be able to keep the passing attack up, however the run game is crucial to our success, otherwise they will just blitz all day.

Kaylore
10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Trose, you upset he gave them Monday off?

broncosteven
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM

They deserved it after a tough road win.

I thought he said in the Presser that he didn't think that going shells made sense to fix the run game.

Did I hear that wrong or did he change his mind?

I heard the part about the lack of prep the week(s they had a bye week before the raven game) before the ravens last year. I thought he said that when asked about going to shells that it wouldn't make that big a difference by this time in the season. Maybe I need to relisten.

vancejohnson82
10-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Maroney doesnt even like to get hit during the game...he really isnt going to like this

go_broncos
10-05-2010, 08:44 AM
any word on Knowshon?

he will not play

peacepipe
10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Better hope McDaniels can fix the run,cuz the Ravens will come on an all-out blitz every down. They'll do to us what we did to philly a few years back.

broncosteven
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Better hope McDaniels can fix the run,cuz the Ravens will come on an all-out blitz every down. They'll do to us what we did to philly a few years back.

That is what screens are for.

I think they just need to get 3 ypc on the ground just to control some clock in a close game.

With mCd teams starting slow on O I would get my favorite deep pass play ready and chuck it try and flip the field and get up quick in order to take the ravens out of their game.

They can't fix the run game in one week so do everything you can to go up big early and make the ravens adjust.

Rabb
10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Might just be me but man I am worried about Knowshon if he plays this week. Talk about a rough welcome back game.

We need him in there, but I sure hope it's not at the rest of his season's expense.

ghwk
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Ok Ray Rice has sucked this year. Do I start him?

Rabb
10-05-2010, 09:07 AM

who else do you have?

Their running game isn't great this season either, like 3 yards a pop I think

pokenation
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
mcdaniels isnt fixin **** until he gets a back that can out run betty white.

ive seen faster fat white guys at the local gym playin pickup basketball than Laurence Maroney.

i know the line has their problems, but this back is absolutely redonkuless.

maroney gives us two options....if the line doesnt open a hole, he loses 3yrds. if the line opens a gaping hole he gets back to the line of scrimmage.

Bronco Boy
10-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Is anyone else surprised at how few bubble screens we've done this year? I mean we tried a couple times on Sunday and the Titans saw it coming a mile away but still, I thought that was one of the main reasons we drafted Thomas.

go_broncos
10-05-2010, 09:32 AM
In order to be successful, we need to fix the running game.
With running game combined with our WR's and QB, we will be unstoppable on offense.

Rabb
10-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Is anyone else surprised at how few bubble screens we've done this year? I mean we tried a couple times on Sunday and the Titans saw it coming a mile away but still, I thought that was one of the main reasons we drafted Thomas.

more like pleased

it works 1-2 times a game, the way we did it last year was a joke

there was one last week that I thought was going to go the other way for 6 for a second

Inkana7
10-05-2010, 09:39 AM

ive seen faster fat white guys at the local gym playin pickup basketball than Laurence Maroney.

i know the line has their problems, but this back is absolutely redonkuless.

maroney gives us two options....if the line doesnt open a hole, he loses 3yrds. if the line opens a gaping hole he gets back to the line of scrimmage.

And we've seen SO MANY gaping holes this season...

peacepipe
10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
That is what screens are for.

I think they just need to get 3 ypc on the ground just to control some clock in a close game.

With mCd teams starting slow on O I would get my favorite deep pass play ready and chuck it try and flip the field and get up quick in order to take the ravens out of their game.

They can't fix the run game in one week so do everything you can to go up big early and make the ravens adjust.

I seem to remember Moreno getting his a** handed to him on a screen the last time they played Baltimore.

Br0nc0Buster
10-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I doubt this makes Daniels suck any less or our line do a better job at opening lanes but I guess it cant hurt

I think our run game this year is going to be relegated to screens and short passes that just simulate a run game

even though being in sync is good, it looks like our problems stem deeper than that

Mogulseeker
10-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd like to point out that we always have a lot of injuries when we play the Ravens.

On a somewhat related note, I hope to see Beadles at LG.

Mogulseeker
10-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I doubt this makes Daniels suck any less or our line do a better job at opening lanes but I guess it cant hurt

I think our run game this year is going to be relegated to screens and short passes that just simulate a run game

even though being in sync is good, it looks like our problems stem deeper than that

...until the d streches everything out to the flat, with the safeties in the cover 2. At that point, if we can't run up the middle, we're ****ed.

snowspot66
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM

It's the rookies and injuries. This same scheme gave us a statistically average middle of the road run game last year. It's just going to take time.

Quoydogs
10-05-2010, 10:27 AM

At this point you would be nuts too. Our D just held CJ to 64 yards.

crush17
10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Im not so sure Peter King didnt take McDaniels out of context, because from comments I've heard from Josh regarding working out in pads, its not necessarily about fixing the run, but moreso about being ready for how physical Baltimore is.

He said last season the week of practice leading up to the Ravens game was horrible, and then they got their asses handed to them by a MUCH more physical team.

I sure hope something clicks in the running game tho.

Rabb
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I dunno, normally practicing without pads is somewhat of a "reward" for players

I have a feeling, even with a win, nobody is being rewarded going into Baltimore...especially after last year

The Joker
10-05-2010, 11:00 AM

We had a nice one to Royal against the Titans, took it over 40 yards and almost went all the way.

They're nice plays to have, as long as you use them in moderation. We ran far too many last season, mostly out of necessity as the offense was still coming together. This season Orton looks a lot more comfortable going down the field so we're not doing it as much and should see better results out of it. Thomas picked up a 1st down against Seattle on 3rd and long with one also, I believe.

Can't wait until we can run the ball somewhat competently, this offense is gong to be really, really good if/when that starts to happen.

Popps
10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Remember, last year... McDaniels pretty much felt like it was the Ravens game that derailed the entire season. So, it's no surprise that he's going to place the utmost importance on preparation this week.

I think we're going to be over-matched, but it'll be a fun game just for that reason. Even more so than the Colts game, we can find out where we really are this weekend.

Br0nc0Buster
10-05-2010, 11:07 AM
It's the rookies and injuries. This same scheme gave us a statistically average middle of the road run game last year. It's just going to take time.

perhaps teams are attacking our run game differently this year

I would assume with rookies mistakes will be made here and there, but we are getting owned on every single play it seems

this is what is leading me to believe it is more than just a lack of cohesion or experience, I would think occasionally our guys would get it right open some lanes

but right now thats just not happening

our run game looks like a high school team against a ranked division 1 college team with the way we keep getting blown off the LOS

TonyR
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Thank goodness there aren't already 7 existing threads which have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the problem is more about the blocking than the backs...

~Crash~
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM

why you say that Harris missed 13 games in a row . Clady all preseason.

outdoor_miner
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
We had a nice one to Royal against the Titans, took it over 40 yards and almost went all the way.

Out of context of this thread, but it has been so nice to see Eddie show the "burst" he had as a rookie. There have been two or three times this year where he has out run everyone on the field and been 1 man away from breaking a long one for a touchdown. I don't remember that happening last year. Even in the San Diego game, I thought his 2 returns were more a function of blocking (and Eddie making the correct reads) than his athleticism. Seeing him out-running people again has been one of the most satisying aspects of this season (for me). I wonder if he was injured last year....

gyldenlove
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM

No, he won't rush for more than 60, no TDs, but might get a few catches.

ColoradoDarin
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Remember, last year... McDaniels pretty much felt like it was the Ravens game that derailed the entire season. So, it's no surprise that he's going to place the utmost importance on preparation this week.

I think we're going to be over-matched, but it'll be a fun game just for that reason. Even more so than the Colts game, we can find out where we really are this weekend.

I love it! We're not backing down this year. Something about this team and not giving up. Win or lose, you know that you're playing the Denver Broncos.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Out of context of this thread, but it has been so nice to see Eddie show the "burst" he had as a rookie. There have been two or three times this year where he has out run everyone on the field and been 1 man away from breaking a long one for a touchdown. I don't remember that happening last year. Even in the San Diego game, I thought his 2 returns were more a function of blocking (and Eddie making the correct reads) than his athleticism. Seeing him out-running people again has been one of the most satisying aspects of this season (for me). I wonder if he was injured last year....

I think it has a lot to do with Orton being better. He's got his reads better, knows how to get Eddie the ball in space better, and they're using Eddie better right now.

Lloyd is a deep threat. Gaff is a good "find a soft spot in the zone and settle in" guy, and Eddie is a great "get the ball in space, make one guy miss and then turn on the burners" guy.

Last year, with Marshall being the focus of the offense, I don't think Eddie had much of a chance. I'm enjoying watching him do what he does.

snowspot66
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
perhaps teams are attacking our run game differently this year

I would assume with rookies mistakes will be made here and there, but we are getting owned on every single play it seems

this is what is leading me to believe it is more than just a lack of cohesion or experience, I would think occasionally our guys would get it right open some lanes

but right now thats just not happening

our run game looks like a high school team against a ranked division 1 college team with the way we keep getting blown off the LOS

You would think they would get it right occasionally and they did against the Jags and Seahawks. We had a few decent runs against those teams. The Colts and Titans are a definite league above those two teams though so our mistakes, injuries, and lack of experience playing together just get amplified.

The power run game is as old as football. I don't believe that teams have somehow found a unique new way to attack our run game and shut it down but everybody else is still able to do it.

We probably do need more talent to be an elite rushing team but we without a doubt have the talent to be average to above average and that's what we need right now.

baja
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
he will not play

Maybe he will maybe he won't but what is for sure you have zero credibility here. If almost any other poster had posted that I would have a sinking feeling but with you it's like I read "do you want a Popsicle".

bronco militia
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/coach-cards/wylie_bob_card.jpg

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Bob-Wylie/d9113369-72b6-46a0-8537-d9ca1ceeeb09

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/coach-cards/barone_clancy2.jpg

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Clancy-Barone/fa486afc-3fa6-4733-9c9d-a497fc0f87d9

Br0nc0Buster
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
You would think they would get it right occasionally and they did against the Jags and Seahawks. We had a few decent runs against those teams. The Colts and Titans are a definite league above those two teams though so our mistakes, injuries, and lack of experience playing together just get amplified.

The power run game is as old as football. I don't believe that teams have somehow found a unique new way to attack our run game and shut it down but everybody else is still able to do it.

We probably do need more talent to be an elite rushing team but we without a doubt have the talent to be average to above average and that's what we need right now.

I have no problem with a power blocking scheme, but just the way d linemen are knifing in the backfield before the RB even gets to the line of scrimmage seems a little fishy that there is something very wrong besides just rookies being rookies
maybe we are tipping our plays or the players are

I remember when we had Clady and Harris both starting for the first time in 08 and I did not notice them struggling anywhere close to what is happening with our guys now

I was expecting some inconsistent runs, but nothing like this

Rock Chalk
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I have no problem with a power blocking scheme, but just the way d linemen are knifing in the backfield before the RB even gets to the line of scrimmage seems a little fishy that there is something very wrong besides just rookies being rookies

I remember when we had Clady and Harris both starting for the first time in 08 and I did not notice them struggling anywhere close to what is happening with our guys now, why didnt they struggle back then?

To be fair a lot of that in the titans game had to do with them BEING OFF ****ING SIDES THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.

Popps
10-05-2010, 01:09 PM
To be fair a lot of that in the titans game had to do with them BEING OFF ****ING SIDES THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.

They were also apparently holding the whole game.

McDaniels could do himself a big favor by submitting some of this stuff to the league this week.

Popps
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM

I remember when we had Clady and Harris both starting for the first time in 08 and I did not notice them struggling anywhere close to what is happening with our guys now

I do agree, to a point. It seems to be a systemic issue, rather than one of a particular blocker or runner.

_Oro_
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Maroney doesnt even like to get hit during the game...he really isnt going to like this

Who in the NFL likes to get hit ???

bronclvr
10-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea-I think back when Shanny did this, and although it seemed to work initially, didn't it backfire throughout the Season? Wasn't that 2007?

Crushaholic
10-05-2010, 02:55 PM
http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/coach-cards/wylie_bob_card.jpg

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Bob-Wylie/d9113369-72b6-46a0-8537-d9ca1ceeeb09

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/coach-cards/barone_clancy2.jpg

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Clancy-Barone/fa486afc-3fa6-4733-9c9d-a497fc0f87d9

That could be part of the problem. We have Wilford Brimley and George Clooney coaching the offensive line...LOL

broncosteven
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

I don't think players are tipping off the D. I think they see our 2 run formations then crash the lines. When they ran out of the shotgun we had 2 big gains.

If mCd is trying to line up and beat teams based on personnel like Lombardi did then we are going to have growing pains but if he keeps D's honest then they will be less likely to jump gaps or crash down the line.

Bronco Yoda
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Who in the NFL likes to get hit ???

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/09/27/05/433-APTOPIX_Browns_Ravens_Football.sff.embedded.prod_a ffiliate.81.jpg

...sorry. Just couldn't resist. Ha! :strong:

montrose
10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Yes.

El Guapo
10-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Bring back the zone!

~Crash~
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Don't forget all the hands to the face hell every other player was getting there helmet yanked off .. the zebras sucked!

WolfpackGuy
10-05-2010, 05:33 PM
The NE style of offense just doesn't match up very well with the Ravens especially in obvious passing situations.

Hopefully, the offense can put together a few drives to give the defense a breather from time to time.

If the D can put the game in Flacco's hands, the Broncos have a shot.

pokenation
10-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank goodness there aren't already 7 existing threads which have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the problem is more about the blocking than the backs...

thats just effin awesome that all you NFL caliber coaches on here have all the answers......all i was sayin was that you can fix our line all you want, but, IN MY OPINION, until you get moroney off the field I DONT THINK he's fixin ****.

and you can tell me that you and all the other football experts know everything about everything, but i still have my opinion....just like you and all the other 7 threads.

so if you dont like my Opinion move on.....nobody asked you to take my side, it will be OK if i dont necessarily believe that it is all the lines fault.

oh and by the way, i did read all the other threads....and yeah i do believe that the line is very weak at best, but i also believe that we have one of the worst backs in football starting for us these last two games.

if we had a back worth a **** he could have at least had some yards....not every play was a hole not opened up. there were several that he was just too slow or too tenative to hit the hole hard to get any yards at all.

Popps
10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
thats just effin awesome that all you NFL caliber coaches on here have all the answers......all i was sayin was that you can fix our line all you want, but, IN MY OPINION, until you get moroney off the field I DONT THINK he's fixin ****..

Tell you what... open up holes like this, and I'll guaran****ingtee you Maroney can run through them.

This was a sweep play. You could have made a sandwich and eaten half of it before Hillis made his way over to this gaping hole. By the time he got there, you could have driven a small SUV through it.

I'm not saying Maroney is any answer for our problems, but you give the guy a lane to run through, and then we'll talk.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27280&stc=1&d=1286318342

The MVPlaya
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Tell you what... open up holes like this, and I'll guaran****ingtee you Maroney can run through them.

This was a sweep play. You could have made a sandwich and eaten half of it before Hillis made his way over to this gaping hole. By the time he got there, you could have driven a small SUV through it.

I'm not saying Maroney is any answer for our problems, but you give the guy a lane to run through, and then we'll talk.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27280&stc=1&d=1286318342

I don't think you quite get it.

Hillis is the REASON why those holes are there, I mean WHITE linemen what to block for WHITE people...you're such a ****ing moron.

mhgaffney
10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Next thing you know we'll be hearing from Kaylore that running the ball is "cerebral..."

fontaine
10-06-2010, 05:32 AM
I can't wait till Moreno comes back.

Lloyd runs better, with more body lean into tacklers than freakin' Maroney who just looks lost.

dbfan21
10-06-2010, 05:49 AM

When I see the name Bob Wylie, all I can think of is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtDTJ89Xyw

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFtDTJ89Xyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFtDTJ89Xyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pokenation
10-06-2010, 07:44 AM

popps....

im sure he could, ANYONE COULD, my point is those holes u just pointed out arent going to happen every play with the BEST line in the NFL. so dont try to make a point with one play.....

we need a back that can take a handoff and get positive yards when the opportunity presents its self. we can breakdown film all day long on the line, but i have yet to see anyone breakdown film on the rb's lack of speed or effort to hit the "usual holes in the NFL" or maroney's effort in catching the effing ball. now moreno does a better job of it......if we had half a line then he could be special, but he is just average with our line, i get that. maroney is just PLAIN AWEFULL with an average to less of a line.

Sorry that you all believe that this is 100% the lines fault, i dont believe that and that is all im sayin.