PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas = Optimus Prime?

UberBroncoMan
10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
When did this start happening. I kind of like that nickname more than DT or DTrain.

Apparently Calvin Johnson (also a big WR, and GT alum) is called "Megatron" by the Lions coaching staff and fans.

Malcontent
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Not bad...but too close to "Prime Time"...Hate Deion.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll call that dude Optimus.

Sodak
10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
It would be awesome if I were 12 years old...

UberBroncoMan
10-04-2010, 06:03 PM

**** you hater!

And yes. I'd call him Optimus too. Or OP. For Optimus Prime and Over-Powered.

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
DevasTator

UberBroncoMan
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
DevasTator

Hey now, that's a Decepticon...it also rings up Taters, or Potatoes, or Tatum Bell.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-04-2010, 06:07 PM

It's still awesome

Taco John
10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
It's still awesome

This.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 06:11 PM
DevasTator

Sorry we had to put the hurtin on the Pack this weekend. :)

Get it; Op"thomas"

ColoradoDarin
This.

TJ is 100% right

Garcia Bronco
And screw Megatron!

Wait...he's a WR on my FF team. I hate FF. :)

DomCasual
10-04-2010, 06:14 PM
What about Blade?

Ha!

LRtagger
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Is Voltron taken?

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 06:17 PM
What about Blade?

Ha!

Gay

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Is Voltron taken?

Double Gay...I mean which Voltron? :)

BMarsh615
10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
On his wiki it says Denver fans have been calling him Optimus Prime but I've never heard anybody call him that.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 06:19 PM
On his wiki it says Denver fans have been calling him Optimus Prime but I've never heard anybody call him that.

THE INTERWEBZ ARE NEVER WRONg!!!!oneone!!11!!!eleven!!

DomCasual
10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Gay

Man, you've been around long enough to know the history of that, right?

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Man, you've been around long enough to know the history of that, right?

I have missed it.

DomCasual
10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I have missed it.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1218940&postcount=12

Mock will be pissed if he sees it. But it's all in good fun. When he started spontaneously calling him Blade, we were all winners.

GoBroncos84
10-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes. I love this. I can see myself watching the game, and when the team gets in the redzone i'm yelling "Throw the fade to Optimus!". That just feels right

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry we had to put the hurtin on the Pack this weekend. :)

Get it; Op"thomas"

Damned Hokie Birds had a great comeback.

Que
10-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Has my vote. I am so fing old I don't really have much familiarity with the namesake - so it just sounds cool to me.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Damned Hokie Birds had a great comeback.

I didn't get to see it. It might be the first conference game I have missed since we played NCS right after we joined the ACC in River's Senior year. It looked like we had a hard time of it.

cmhargrove
10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
What about Demhairyass?

SouthStndJunkie
10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I prefer DMT over DT....there has already been a DT.

bowtown
10-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I loved that guy.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060730/060730_eating_vmed_2p.widec.jpg

KevinJames
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I like Bay Bay cause thats his real nick name but I could see Optimus Prime sticking if he starts performing like the beast that CJ is.

ZONA
10-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I think "rookie" suits him just fine. People are too quick to glorify and too quick to slam young players. He's looking good but good lord, he's played 3.5 games. Can we at least wait till he has, oh I don't know, 25 catches before we give him a nickname. Jesus. Hilarious!

The MVPlaya
10-05-2010, 12:27 AM
I think "rookie" suits him just fine. People are too quick to glorify and too quick to slam young players. He's looking good but good lord, he's played 3.5 games. Can we at least wait till he has, oh I don't know, 25 catches before we give him a nickname. Jesus. Hilarious!

http://thesportsclown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/who-cares.jpg

Bronco Boy
10-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Would that make Richard Quinn Subprime?

The Joker
10-05-2010, 12:40 AM
If the stadium PA played 'The Touch' every time he caught a pass it would literally be the best thing ever.

broncocalijohn
10-05-2010, 01:15 AM

I dont know about Jesus. That one is saved for Tebow.

broncocalijohn
10-05-2010, 01:16 AM

I think it makes Quinn then be named Default.

footstepsfrom#27
10-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I don't care what he's called. I'll call him Demaryius Thomas. I'm more interested in why Orton's barely using him since the big debut a couple weeks ago. What's up with that...1 catch for 9 yards? He's a real weapon, just don't know why they're not throwing it to him much now.

The MVPlaya
10-05-2010, 01:54 AM
I don't care what he's called. I'll call him Demaryius Thomas. I'm more interested in why Orton's barely using him since the big debut a couple weeks ago. What's up with that...1 catch for 9 yards? He's a real weapon, just don't know why they're not throwing it to him much now.

He's really meant to play the role of Brandon Lloyd, but now you see they're pushing him onto the field as a 4th WR playing a different role.

Week 2 when he broke out against Seattle, you'll see he was lined up @ Lloyd's spot on those catches. The stats speak for themselves on this one, as Lloyd didn't have his usual 100+ yard game that week.

HAT
10-05-2010, 02:23 AM
I don't care what he's called. I'll call him Demaryius Thomas. I'm more interested in why Orton's barely using him

Because Orton sucks and McD told him not to throw DT's way so as not to inflate his numbers because Bowlen is broke and can't afford to pay him past his rookie contract.......Assuming McD doesn't trade him away for future draft picks of course. I wish Hillis was the coach, then Denver wouldn't have all of these problems.

footstepsfrom#27
10-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Because Orton sucks and McD told him not to throw DT's way so as not to inflate his numbers because Bowlen is broke and can't afford to pay him past his rookie contract.......Assuming McD doesn't trade him away for future draft picks of course. I wish Hillis was the coach, then Denver wouldn't have all of these problems.
That stuff really ceased being funny a few months ago. You can only hear it so many times before it's just boring and repetitive. It's a legit question, and one I'm surprised I haven't seen being talked about in the media right now.

The MVPlaya
10-05-2010, 02:38 AM
That stuff really ceased being funny a few months ago. You can only hear it so many times before it's just boring and repetitive. It's a legit question, and one I'm surprised I haven't seen being talked about in the media right now.

Because the answer is pretty damn simple: Brandon Lloyd.

The Joker
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Lloyd is playing the best football of his life right now, it'd be foolish to come away from him really.

He won't be able to keep it up forever though, and with Thomas coming from a very different style of offense in college it might not be a bad thing that he's getting eased in slowly.

I'm not overly worried about it, in any case, kid looks like he's got the makings of a very good NFL WR.

footstepsfrom#27
10-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Because the answer is pretty damn simple: Brandon Lloyd.
Not really...Lloyd played in the game he caught 9 balls in also. I just think they can find this guy more often since he's shown he's ready for it already.

The MVPlaya
10-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Not really...Lloyd played in the game he caught 9 balls in also. I just think they can find this guy more often since he's shown he's ready for it already.

Yeah he did, but he only had 3 catches for 53 yards.

DT was brought here to play Lloyd's position, and on Sunday you saw the ball spread around with Royal and Lloyd going both over 100+. There are only so many yards that can be gained through the air a game and it's not like we're lacking in that area.

footstepsfrom#27
10-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Yeah he did, but he only had 3 catches for 53 yards.

DT was brought here to play Lloyd's position, and on Sunday you saw the ball spread around with Royal and Lloyd going both over 100+. There are only so many yards that can be gained through the air a game and it's not like we're lacking in that area.
Three and four receiver sets...he and Lloy should be able to co-exist at the same time on the field. It's just odd that a guy explodes for over 100 yards in basically two series of football and suddenly you don't see him again hardly at all. I'm glad he's not needed much yet so his foot has a chance to heal...maybe that's the answer, they want to limit him till he's 100%.

*WARHORSE*
10-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Sounds better than Opie.

Drek
10-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Three and four receiver sets...he and Lloy should be able to co-exist at the same time on the field. It's just odd that a guy explodes for over 100 yards in basically two series of football and suddenly you don't see him again hardly at all. I'm glad he's not needed much yet so his foot has a chance to heal...maybe that's the answer, they want to limit him till he's 100%.

We don't run 4 WR a ton though. We're primarily a 11 formation team, regardless of down and distance.

Thomas right now is McDaniels' X factor. When we needed something explosive to catch the Seahawks off guard he was rolled out and destroyed them. Against the Colts and Titans our passing game wasn't really in need of that kind of X factor. The STs needed him this week though, so that is where he gave us production.

Long term he will replace Lloyd, but when Lloyd is going off and Royal is going off there just isn't any real need to try forcing the ball to Thomas. Give props to McD for finding another way to get production out of Thomas by having him return kicks.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 06:40 AM

It started on the Broncos Country forums. I happened to go into that abortion of a forum one day a couple weeks ago when the talk to call him Optimus Prime was in full swing.

Frankly, I think it's ****ing retarded and lame. We're basing HIS name off another player's nickname? Sorry, but that is mother****ing retarded.

Give him his own ****ing name. Christ on a cracker, he already has a nickname: Bey Bey. Remember?

outdoor_miner
10-05-2010, 07:39 AM

First of all, I think that he ran the wrong route a few times in the Indy game. It was pretty widely discussed that Thomas was in the wrong place on Orton's int in that game, and it looked like another time or two that he and Orton were not on the same page.

Secondly - he's actually been targeted a handful of times in both the last 2 games, but the plays haven't worked out. I wish I could find the # of targets per game, but I bet against Indy and Tennesse, it was about 4 each game. They are not force-feeding him, but they are trying to get him the ball.

Lastly - as others have mentioned, the starters are playing too well for Thomas to get the majority of targets his way. Having Thomas return kicks is obviously a way for McD to get the ball in his hands without taking snaps away from Royal, Lloyd, and Gaffney. Also factor in that during Seattle he was a total unknown quantity, and probably took the Seahawks by surprise. I'm sure that DBs know where he is when he checks in the game now.

Anyway, I agree that I'd like to see him get the ball a bit more. Seems like they should try to get him vertical at least once or twice a game...

Bigdawg26
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I like Optimus Prime! That's pretty bad @ss! But would that make brandon lloyd bumble bee???

LRtagger
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Optimus Dick

Br0nc0Buster
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
It started on the Broncos Country forums. I happened to go into that abortion of a forum one day a couple weeks ago when the talk to call him Optimus Prime was in full swing.

Frankly, I think it's ****ing retarded and lame. We're basing HIS name off another player's nickname? Sorry, but that is mother****ing retarded.

Give him his own ****ing name. Christ on a cracker, he already has a nickname: Bey Bey. Remember?

Bey Bey is that pussy over in Oakland, our guy is Bay Bay
Bay Bay "Optimus Prime" Thomas would not appreciate the comparison

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Bey Bey is that p***Y over in Oakland, our guy is Bay Bay
Bay Bay "Optimus Prime" Thomas would not appreciate the comparison

Bay Bay? I swear I only saw it spelled with an "e" in the middle. Could be wrong though.

Either way, "Optimus Prime" = ****ing lame ass ****. Sorry. Lame enough to be named after a cartoon, but to be named that after a guy who went to the same school has already been named after a character in that cartoon? Lame. Lame lame lame. Lame. Lameness.

What bothers me about it is that we can do something BETTER.

UberBroncoMan
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Bay Bay? I swear I only saw it spelled with an "e" in the middle. Could be wrong though.

Either way, "Optimus Prime" = ****ing lame ass ****. Sorry. Lame enough to be named after a cartoon, but to be named that after a guy who went to the same school has already been named after a character in that cartoon? Lame. Lame lame lame. Lame. Lameness.

What bothers me about it is that we can do something BETTER.

WTF? Optimus Prime is a ****ing badass. You're just letting those ****ty Michael Bay movies distort your memories.

If there's a Bad Guy (Megatron) there needs to be a Good Guy (Optimus).

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM
WTF? Optimus Prime is a ****ing badass. You're just letting those ****ty Michael Bay movies distort your memories.

If there's a Bad Guy (Megatron) there needs to be a Good Guy (Optimus).

I get that. I'm not disputing the badassery that is Optimus Prime. But come on.

Using a character from the same movie/cartoon is sort of like Bey Bey changing his name to "Ochoocho". Just sort of lame.

We can do better. Voltron is better. He-Man is better. Hulk is better.

Bronco Boy
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Would it be cool to call Gaffney and Lloyd Bebop and Rocksteady?

Beantown Bronco
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I get that. I'm not disputing the badassery that is Optimus Prime. But come on.

Using a character from the same movie/cartoon is sort of like Bey Bey changing his name to "Ochoocho". Just sort of lame.

We can do better. Voltron is better. He-Man is better. Hulk is better.

broncosteven has already assigned the Voltron name to Maroney.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Okay, no Voltron. How about Bigfoot? I prefer that to almost any of those other names.

Traveler
10-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Run DMT! I like it.^5

Rohirrim
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm higher on DT than any other player the Broncos have drafted in a long time.

Traveler
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm higher on DT than any other player the Broncos have drafted in a long time.

Me too! So much so that I actually bought his authentic jersey. Haven't bought one since 1999.

TheReverend
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Fine.

Eddie Royal is now Starscream then.

Rohirrim
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Me too! So much so that I actually bought his authentic jersey. Haven't bought one since 1999.

Good idea. I'm going to do that. :thumbs:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Broncos_OTM
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM

I aggree and also said the same thing over there. ****ing retarded.

Pony Boy
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Best nickname ever was "Three Amigos" ..... so maybe we need a nickname for the whole group.

<SUP id=cite_ref-89 class=reference></SUP>

Rabb
10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Best nickname ever was "Three Amigos" ..... so maybe we need a nickname for the whole group.

Powderpuffs

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Blue Angels

:afro:

Pony Boy
10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Powderpuffs

McNuggets

Pony Boy
10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Blue Angels

:afro:

"Orton's Angels"

broncocalijohn
10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Yes, but you bought it because he also played in your state. I hope it works out because buying jerseys of current players havent worked out so hot in these parts.

Bronco Yoda
10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
He's 'Beast' in our household.

HILife
10-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes. I love this. I can see myself watching the game, and when the team gets in the redzone i'm yelling "Throw the fade to Optimus!". That just feels right

I'm convinced, I'm calling hi Optimus Prime for now on.