PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels is going to change how they play Kick returns

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think McDaniels is one of the most candid and educational coaches in his press conferences as there is in the NFL. Today he went for about 20 minutes and hit on a number of issues that you could start a thread about. What I'm excited about is how he said they're going to trash their kick return coverage scheme recognizing that it's become a major problem and "try something different" this week. Personally I think if it doesn't improve Priefer is gone at the end of the year, but I'm glad they're at least attempting something.

One thing I love about this coach is he sees the flaws on the team and tries to address them as best he can each week. If you get a chance, please check out his press conference from today. It was another good one.

The MVPlaya
10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd like to also add that he admitted that it was his mistake/error in yesterday's presser, that he called a timeout at the end of the 2nd quarter before the Prater FG.

Hulamau
10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think McDaniels is one of the most candid and educational coaches in his press conferences as there is in the NFL. Today he went for about 20 minutes and hit on a number of issues that you could start a thread about. What I'm excited about is how he said they're going to trash their kick return coverage scheme recognizing that it's become a major problem and "try something different" this week. Personally I think if it doesn't improve Priefer is gone at the end of the year, but I'm glad they're at least attempting something.

One thing I love about this coach is he sees the flaws on the team and tries to address them as best he can each week. If you get a chance, please check out his press conference from today. It was another good one.

Bedankt voor de tip Kaylore!

cutthemdown
10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
someone once told me that line drive kicks that bounce before they get caught are rarely returned for a TD because it screws up the returner having to worry about a bad bounce. Keeps them from grabbing ball full speed and heading upfield.

Maybe we should try being more tricky on kickoffs because kicking ball away, deep, doesn't seem to work to well for us.

cutthemdown
10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Also I agree with Kaylore that Mcdaniels press conferences seem to be more informative then most other coaches.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I'd like him to use the "try something different" philosophy on short-yardage / goal-to-go scenarios. And by "try something different" I mean unleash the Tebow.

cutthemdown
10-04-2010, 03:27 PM
most coaches just talk in cliches, blah blah blah. But Mcd will really tell you what he thinks.

cmhargrove
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Are we also going to trash the run blocking scheme?

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
unleash the Tebow.

That's what my wife says to me when she wants me to take my pants off.

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Are we also going to trash the run blocking scheme?

He addressed that. It was the first thing he spoke about. The short answer is no. The long answer is it will be getting special attention going forward.

broncosteven
I will say mCd has a lot of potential. I just want to get the payoff once he learns on our dime. He is where Shanny was with the Raiders in his 1st go around. If Bowlen is patient and we wait long enough for mCd to blossom I we could have some long term success it is just dealing with the growing pains that I have a lot of trouble with.

If he gets the timemanagement down under pressure, learns to get points and not turnover the ball on downs, and they fix ST's they can focus on OL/RB problem later in the season. Actually if they just fix the time managment and stop going for it on 4th down we would be much better.

The MVPlaya
"Whatever Kyle wants to say, he can say it, and he'll have the support of his head coach."

- Josh McDaniels

BlaK-Argentina
10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
someone once told me that line drive kicks that bounce before they get caught are rarely returned for a TD because it screws up the returner having to worry about a bad bounce. Keeps them from grabbing ball full speed and heading upfield.

Maybe we should try being more tricky on kickoffs because kicking ball away, deep, doesn't seem to work to well for us.

Except in Denver of course where Prater is getting touchbacks left and right.

The MVPlaya
10-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Every kicker is.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 03:34 PM

You mean tiny tim?

WIldbill
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Is that because currently its only good for 'short yardage' situations?

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Duly noted... also why he is on the bench and getting no playing time.

Br0nc0Buster
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM

perhaps its also a virgin?

WABronco
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Damn that one backfired kaylore

PRBronco
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
perhaps its also a virgin?

Oh man this thread turned into pure Kaylore pwnage.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd like to also add that he admitted that it was his mistake/error in yesterday's presser, that he called a timeout at the end of the 2nd quarter before the Prater FG.

That was dumb and to be honest I only noticed it was dumb until the second time I watched the game.

gyldenlove
10-04-2010, 03:49 PM

That is funny, Tebow looks a lot taller than 4 inches when he is on tv, must be the uniform :wave:

SonOfLe-loLang
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM

We tried this philosophy a few years back with Sauerbrun. More than the bounce, the ball gets to the returner quicker, giving the coverage unit more time to adjust once he picks his direction. Lots of times on high kickoffs, a quarter of the coverage unit is rendered useless because the returner runs to the other side of the field. On the flip side of this, he's probably going to return it to the 25 or 30 everytime because he'll have more time to run.

driver
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Always do what a lady ask, and psssst, quit flagellating those expired equines, that nasty.

Champagne Powder
10-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I do recall in the post-Ravens presser last year when McDaniels was questioned about offensive strategy, he did say that his scheme was time tested and it was lack of execution, not strategy that led to the Broncos poor showing in Baltimore. He still can be stubborn and stuck in his ways at times.

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh man this thread turned into pure Kaylore pwnage.

Totally worth it. ROFL!

Dedhed
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I do recall in the post-Ravens presser last year when McDaniels was questioned about offensive strategy, he did say that his scheme was time tested and it was lack of execution, not strategy that led to the Broncos poor showing in Baltimore. He still can be stubborn and stuck in his ways at times.

The Broncos were absolutely outmanned in that game. Telling the truth isn't being stubborn.

55CrushEm
10-04-2010, 04:18 PM

In Denver, I disagree......Praeter seems to have tons of touchbacks there.

OBF1
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Love the double hoodie look Josh is sporting :thumbs:

55CrushEm
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Sorry, beat me to it.

cutthemdown
10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
In Denver, I disagree......Praeter seems to have tons of touchbacks there.

Yeah for sure when he is nailing them out the back of the endzone just let him do it.

Seems like you could let him hit 1 or 2, see how they are flying, then adjust from there?

Lot's of factors I would guess. Wind, humidity, heat, and even just how live his leg is that day.

Problem is some of the ones he hits 1-2 yrds deep still get taken out past the 30 yrd line. It's like teams know we are so bad they tell returners to just go 4 it.

broncosteven
10-04-2010, 04:30 PM

I like how he said that they need to trust that the play is blocked correctly and run to the right spot and look for green grass.

Essentially he said the RB's don't trust the OL nor do they hit the holes and run to daylight.

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
He can start by getting Jarvis Moss and Nate Jones off the coverage team(s).

RunSilentRunDeep
10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Just curious how different you can be in kickoff coverage? Are they going to try that radical fight-off-your-block-and-stay-in-your-lane system?

broncosteven
10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
It sounds like our D design is the 3-4 version of the Jim Bates scheme setting the edge and funnelling the play inside.

I saw an article on some website I found last week talking about setting the edges and tackling angles so that if one defender misses there is a next guy after him inside. Then the announcers talked about Dawkins all game taking an angle to keep the play inside. I wish I bookmarked it.

The MVPlaya
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
He can start by getting Jarvis Moss and Nate Jones off the coverage team(s).

Jarvis is 1 of the reasons why their returner got a TD yesterday.

He got greedy with his gaps.

Popps
10-04-2010, 04:38 PM

He'd kill to stay rich, though.

C'mon.

UberBroncoMan
10-04-2010, 04:39 PM

His ass is cut next year too, when Doom is back.

Dedhed
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
He'd kill to stay rich, though.

C'mon.
He's going to have too, because he's not going to be making money playing football for much longer.

Champagne Powder
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
The Broncos were absolutely outmanned in that game. Telling the truth isn't being stubborn.

That poor performance falls on both the players and coaches. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Everybody is accountable, not just one side.

mkporter
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
If he gets the timemanagement down under pressure, learns to get points and not turnover the ball on downs, and they fix ST's they can focus on OL/RB problem later in the season. Actually if they just fix the time managment and stop going for it on 4th down we would be much better.

I just don't see how the 4th down calls are that bad this year. Yesterday, we are down by four, and if we kick the field goal, we are choosing to mandate that we get the ball back AND score again. By going for it, best case, we just need to keep them from scoring, worst case, we need to get the ball back and score a TD with them backed up against the goal line. We lost the Colts game by 14, so 6 extra points doesn't do much for us. I don't buy the argument that the Colts somehow played better because we didn't make it on 4th down.

mr007
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks, I was actually going to ask about that one in a new thread. Good to know he recognizes that as well.

Garcia Bronco
10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
We tried this philosophy a few years back with Sauerbrun. More than the bounce, the ball gets to the returner quicker, giving the coverage unit more time to adjust once he picks his direction. Lots of times on high kickoffs, a quarter of the coverage unit is rendered useless because the returner runs to the other side of the field. On the flip side of this, he's probably going to return it to the 25 or 30 everytime because he'll have more time to run.

High and shorter, more arc and inside the ten. Sometimes less is more.

DivineLegion
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Have you seen our offense this season? Do you remember what what it was like last season? NIGHT and DAY. Wanna guess why? Probably because we have 3 receivers and a QB that are in their second year in this system. That can't be because they are executing Josh's system at an elite level of play...could it?

The only thing that is not working on offense...Our line. Wanna guess why? Oh, that's right its a new system, and we have 5 players playing in it for the first time. Two rookies too. I wonder if they'll be better next season. :sunshine:

Paladin
10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
High and shorter, more arc and inside the ten. Sometimes less is more.

But you have to work harder....

Oh, wait. You are not talking to Kaylore??????

KipCorrington25
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I just don't see how the 4th down calls are that bad this year. Yesterday, we are down by four, and if we kick the field goal, we are choosing to mandate that we get the ball back AND score again. By going for it, best case, we just need to keep them from scoring, worst case, we need to get the ball back and score a TD with them backed up against the goal line. We lost the Colts game by 14, so 6 extra points doesn't do much for us. I don't buy the argument that the Colts somehow played better because we didn't make it on 4th down.

It's a bad decision because they rarely convert them. Playing the percentages sometimes isn't a bad move.

oubronco
10-05-2010, 07:27 PM
He's just trying to kick the mother****ing ball

Mogulseeker
10-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Bedankt voor de tip Kaylore!

Alsjeblieft, geen Nederlands. lol

CEH
10-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Just curious how different you can be in kickoff coverage? Are they going to try that radical fight-off-your-block-and-stay-in-your-lane system?

I don't think it coaching so much as it is players. Jarvis Moss should barely be on the team let alone ST.

Guess who is coaching the NE Special teams this year. Scott O'Brien who we ran out of town a couple years ago. Now he's in NE putting up never before seen ST play. Players

Traveler
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Personally I think if it doesn't improve Priefer is gone at the end of the year, but I'm glad they're at least attempting something.

I'm guessing he's gone regardless.

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Onside kicks 24/7 baby.

TheChamp24
10-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering when a NFL team will adopt the weird punt formation you see in college these days, and then doing the rugby style kick which seems to be pretty effective.

BroncoMan4ever
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I will say mCd has a lot of potential. I just want to get the payoff once he learns on our dime. He is where Shanny was with the Raiders in his 1st go around. If Bowlen is patient and we wait long enough for mCd to blossom I we could have some long term success it is just dealing with the growing pains that I have a lot of trouble with.

truthfully i think right now, McDaniels is more like the Shanahan of his 1st year as HC in Denver more than as Shanahan in his 1st HC stint. Right now he is getting his pieces ready, cleaning up the crap of the previous regime and getting his vision in motion. I really believe we are witnessing the beginning of huge things in Denver with McD.

kamakazi_kal
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM

I'd like to see him trash the power scheme and go back to zone running. How about we fix that.

24champ
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm guessing he's gone regardless.

There's a former Dolphins Special Teams Coach that's been looking for a job since Monday...what would stop McDaniels firing Preifer next week or at some point in the season?

Rock Chalk
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd like to see him trash the power scheme and go back to zone running. How about we fix that.

that zone blocking scheme that had the same ****ing red zone problems we currently face only WITH a healthy offensive line?

Good call douche nozzle.

~Crash~
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM

Ha!Ha!Ha!

Chris
10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
truthfully i think right now, McDaniels is more like the Shanahan of his 1st year as HC in Denver more than as Shanahan in his 1st HC stint. Right now he is getting his pieces ready, cleaning up the crap of the previous regime and getting his vision in motion. I really believe we are witnessing the beginning of huge things in Denver with McD.

I believe I am witnessing huge things every time I see your avatar.