PDA

View Full Version : Why the Broncos can beat the Ravens

RunSilentRunDeep
10-04-2010, 08:48 AM
While I believe the Ravens are for real, I'm not buying that Denver doesn't have a chance. And the 7-point spread is silly. Consider...

1. The Ravens are giving up a remarkable 119.0 yards per game and only 4.75 yards per attempt. But opponents have only passed an average of 25 times per game and Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Seneca Wallace and Charlie Batch don't exactly push the ball down the field nor have the receivers Denver does. This will be the first serious test for the Ravens pass defense.

2. The Ravens' run defense doesn't dominate. It gives up 4.3 yards per carry (ranks 18th, right behind the Broncos). Okay, so the Broncos still won't be able to run the ball but...

3. The Ravens can't run it either. Their 3.0 yards per carry is only better than Denver's barf-inducing 2.2 ypc.

4. The Broncos can't cover kicks, but the Ravens can't return them. B'more is averaging 21.7 ypr on kickoffs (24th) and 5.3 ypr on punts (29th). Denver actually has an advantage since...

5. The Ravens can't cover kicks either. They're 28th in kickoff coverage (28.7) and 17th in punt coverage (8.0). Bey-Bey could be huge.

6. Baltimore doesn't force turnovers. Just one pick against (Sanchez, Palmer, Wallace and Batch?) and one fumble recovery. No stupid turnovers and Denver has a real shot.

7. Yes, the Ravens give up only 13.8 points per game, but they only score 15.2. They've played some good defenses but this shouldn't get out of reach.

8. The Ravens get pressure on the QB, but it's not overwhelming. They have just seven sacks on the season and only got to the totem pole that is Carson Palmer once.

9. I will be attending the game and plan to assist Josh McDaniels with game management (telling him the proper time to call time out and assuring him it doesn't mean his penis is too small if he doesn't go for it on 4th down).

10. Last year the Ravens had two weeks to prepare and caught Orton off-guard with a lot of new stuff. This week, the Ravens are coming off a big win against the Steelers and I believe have some weird post-Steelers hangover history.

Final thought. The big thing that scares me is s**t just seems to happen in Baltimore. I think winning the turnover battle is a must and getting at least some pressure on Flacco.

Go Broncos.

Spider
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
if we win ........ it will be orton ....

Old Dude
10-04-2010, 08:52 AM
The Broncos always suck in Baltimore. I'll be amazed if they can keep it close.

Los Broncos
10-04-2010, 08:55 AM
We could of had Ed Reed!

vancejohnson82
10-04-2010, 08:55 AM
the game last year was out of reach early....fumbled on the first play of the game I believe after Moreno got lit up on a flare pass

Spider
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
we could of had ed reed!:rofl:

montrose
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
God I ****ing hate the Ravens. I had to move from CO to Baltimore and watch Shannon Sharpe sign with them, then sit in the crowd as he beats us in the playoffs. They had to be the first road to team to win at Invesco. I had to watch Ray Lewis knock Keith Burns into next week as Chris McAlister took a FG return (which at the time, I didn't even know you could do) to the house. Then, worst of all, they had to knock us from the ranks of the unbeaten in embarrasing fashion.

For the love of goodness, please Josh. Pleaseeeeeee do everything in your power to win this game. I just want to beat these ****ers in Baltimore one time!!!

Tombstone RJ
10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Maybe the ravens are ripe for a loss coming off this big win over the stellers? We can all dream, can't we?

BroncoDoug
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
the game last year was out of reach early....fumbled on the first play of the game I believe after Moreno got lit up on a flare pass

The first play of the game they sacked Orton and almost put him out for the season

rbackfactory80
10-04-2010, 09:00 AM
We need to put 20 points on the board. That's the number.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Orton is playing as good of football as anyone in the league. He's transcended the efficient game manager role, and is carrying this offense on his back. Our defense has been pretty damn good too. I like our chances.

DeuceOfClub
10-04-2010, 09:01 AM

The game was lost on a, what else?, Kick-Return TD to open the 2nd half. it was 0-6 at that point.

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
They are tough team especially at home..
I hope that we win this game..It would definitely a boost winning 2 games in a row.

vancejohnson82
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
The game was lost on a, what else?, Kick-Return TD to open the 2nd half. it was 0-6 at that point.

thats right....i remember that now....not sure what game I'm thinking of

Beantown Bronco
10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I had to watch Ray Lewis knock Keith Burns into next week as Chris McAlister took a FG return (which at the time, I didn't even know you could do) to the house.

Holy crap! Donovan McNabb posts here?!?

:)

Greatspirits
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
If we have to pass 50 times against that defense, we won't win!

Smiling Assassin27
10-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Their WR's are good. REALLY good. If Flacco has time to throw it, it could be a long day for Perrish Cox and the other DB's. I could see Flacco dropping 30 points and 300+yds on us if he gets time.

Orton will have to be sharp and you may see lots of 5 wide and short bubble-screen type stuff to simulate some kind of run game for us.

spdirty
10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I have a good feeling about this game...But then again, I always feel good after a win.

spdirty
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
If we have to pass 50 times against that defense, we won't win!

Honestly, I think thats the only way we have a shot to beat these guys. If we run it 30 times we might get 25 yards, and what does that do for us?

Gcver2ver3
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
While I believe the Ravens are for real, I'm not buying that Denver doesn't have a chance. And the 7-point spread is silly. Consider...

1. The Ravens are giving up a remarkable 119.0 yards per game and only 4.75 yards per attempt. But opponents have only passed an average of 25 times per game and Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Seneca Wallace and Charlie Batch don't exactly push the ball down the field nor have the receivers Denver does. This will be the first serious test for the Ravens pass defense.

2. The Ravens' run defense doesn't dominate. It gives up 4.3 yards per carry (ranks 18th, right behind the Broncos). Okay, so the Broncos still won't be able to run the ball but...

3. The Ravens can't run it either. Their 3.0 yards per carry is only better than Denver's barf-inducing 2.2 ypc.

4. The Broncos can't cover kicks, but the Ravens can't return them. B'more is averaging 21.7 ypr on kickoffs (24th) and 5.3 ypr on punts (29th). Denver actually has an advantage since...

5. The Ravens can't cover kicks either. They're 28th in kickoff coverage (28.7) and 17th in punt coverage (8.0). Bey-Bey could be huge.

6. Baltimore doesn't force turnovers. Just one pick against (Sanchez, Palmer, Wallace and Batch?) and one fumble recovery. No stupid turnovers and Denver has a real shot.

7. Yes, the Ravens give up only 13.8 points per game, but they only score 15.2. They've played some good defenses but this shouldn't get out of reach.

8. The Ravens get pressure on the QB, but it's not overwhelming. They have just seven sacks on the season and only got to the totem pole that is Carson Palmer once.

9. I will be attending the game and plan to assist Josh McDaniels with game management (telling him the proper time to call time out and assuring him it doesn't mean his penis is too small if he doesn't go for it on 4th down).

10. Last year the Ravens had two weeks to prepare and caught Orton off-guard with a lot of new stuff. This week, the Ravens are coming off a big win against the Steelers and I believe have some weird post-Steelers hangover history.

Final thought. The big thing that scares me is s**t just seems to happen in Baltimore. I think winning the turnover battle is a must and getting at least some pressure on Flacco.

Go Broncos.

good write up...

i think we can win too...

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I still have effing nightmares of Chris McAlister.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
good write up...

i think we can win too...

Thanks, this was starting to turn into a Debbie Downer convention.

BroncoInferno
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Their WR's are good. REALLY good. If Flacco has time to throw it, it could be a long day for Perrish Cox and the other DB's. I could see Flacco dropping 30 points and 300+yds on us if he gets time.

Yeah, but their passing game has underacheived given the quality of the personnel. I think Flacco is overrated, personally. I don't think they get more than 20 points on our D. Question is, can Orton put up 21+ with no running game against that D?

Rohirrim
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I think our Oline and RBs will come into this game with a major chip on their shoulders. They got embarassed against the Titans. They're going to want to prove to their teammates and coaches that they can run the ball. Hopefully, Knowshon's hammy is healed up.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Put Champ on Boldin, and play Heap like we did against Dallas Clark. Make Flacco beat us with TJ.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe the ravens are ripe for a loss coming off this big win over the stellers? We can all dream, can't we?

That's actually a very good point. They're coming off a win in a huge rivalry game so in theory they shouldn't be as keyed up this week.

jmz313
10-04-2010, 09:34 AM
We'll Lose... Guaranteed... Only Because i will be there and the Broncos are 0-3 in games that i have been in attendance. I considered turning down the free seat but figured, maybe I'm due a win.

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I think our Oline and RBs will come into this game with a major chip on their shoulders. They got embarassed against the Titans. They're going to want to prove to their teammates and coaches that they can run the ball. Hopefully, Knowshon's hammy is healed up.

At some point they are going to have to show something.

SportinOne
10-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Go Broncos.

I know you spent a little bit of time on this so i don't mean to discount everything you said in one statement but it has only been 4 games.

Pointing out numbers and rankings at this point doesn't seem to be an accurate assessment of the matchup that will occur on the field. Even in week 17 you are bound to be surprised by a few things.

Also, someone else mentioned that we need to score 20 points.. This isn't exactly baseball. The score isn't independent of the battle on the field. We need to win the battle, not score 20 points. The Ravens could easily score 20 points. Any NFL team could. To win this game we need to be more physical than they are at the line. This gives Kyle Orton more time because heaven help him if he has to scramble (ironically this may be how we won the Titans game).

TL ; DR Don't rely on short-term statistical trends, protect Orton and we win... because i think our defense can be good enough to give us a shot.

Smiling Assassin27
10-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Put Champ on Boldin, and play Heap like we did against Dallas Clark. Make Flacco beat us with TJ.

Don't sleep on Derrick Mason. He could be B-More's Austin Collie.

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Even early against Tennessee, we were getting burnt on those inside seems. Both Cox and Jones got hit up, but they did make some adjustments later on and things got better.

I am presently surprised by this team's run defense, and that would be a major concern against Baltimore. Make Flacco beat you.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM

That's fine but they are going to have to throw it to someone besides Boldin and Heap if I'm making the gameplan.

Spider
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I think I came up with the perfect game plan vs Ravens ....... We hold them to 17 points , and we score 18 points...... we have a small chance at winning

ICON
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
It's not so much there secondary at the moment but lack of a pass rush. Once they face a QB who can make the throws, the lack of pass rush is going to hurt

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Collie has Manning throwing to him. Mason has Flacco. There's a big difference.

cmhargrove
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
# 1 passing offense vs. # 1 passing defense. Should be interesting to watch.

We will probably need some more special teams magic to make this one happen.

RhymesayersDU
10-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Hilarious thread. Really homerific.

I'm not saying we don't have a chance. But downplaying every aspect of a good Baltimore team is just comical.

footstepsfrom#27
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
God I ****ing hate the Ravens. I had to move from CO to Baltimore and watch Shannon Sharpe sign with them, then sit in the crowd as he beats us in the playoffs. They had to be the first road to team to win at Invesco. I had to watch Ray Lewis knock Keith Burns into next week as Chris McAlister took a FG return (which at the time, I didn't even know you could do) to the house. Then, worst of all, they had to knock us from the ranks of the unbeaten in embarrasing fashion.

For the love of goodness, please Josh. Pleaseeeeeee do everything in your power to win this game. I just want to beat these ****ers in Baltimore one time!!!
This...

They beat us up physically because the milenium era Broncos have consistently been a finesse team and Baltimore epitomizes the power game on both sides of the ball. From the standpoint of trajectory, I like how McDaniels is moving in that direcion, but they are nowhere near the Raven's level in terms of pure brute physicallity at this point in the game, nor should anyone expect them to be one year into this regime. I'm thinking the Patriot's history with them might yeild a clue as to how this offense will perform, if not in fact at least on paper or in theory. Someone more energetic than me at the moment can check on that... ;)

Que
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Que's keys to victory:

1. Have some pass rush. Don't need to get a bunch of sacks but we can't give Flacco all day out there.

2. Have a bit of a run game. Don't need to hang 125 yards on them but just enough that they have to honor play action or enough so we can covert a 2nd and 2 on the ground without having to go for it on 4th down on a QB sneak.

3. No stupid mistakes. I figure Orton is good for one INT in this game and the D has shown it can step in and mitigate the damage. I'm really talking about Personal Fouls, bonehead onside kick attempts, no go for it on every 4th down (because 3 points is a lot of points in this game) and giving up long kick/punt returns on Special Teams.

We do those three things and I think we stand a good chance.

Rabb
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
My key to victory is to keep Jones out of the secondary. No, really.

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Go Broncos.
I hate posts like this because they make me believe we can win! Ha! I hope you're right. For me I see another tough road game against an east team in their house. I think consecutive eastern road games against that defense will be too much. The Ravens are finally starting to move the ball offensively and even though their special teams are bad, when ours meets any other unit, ours loses. I think too many of the intangibles favor Baltimore. If we win, McDaniels can sleep with my wife.

Que
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
If we win, McDaniels can sleep with my wife.

This thread is worthless without pics. Heh! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I actually agree with you. I just think this is a bridge too far. That being said I hope they keep it close.

One other thing - this defense and Wink in general is a mystery to me. Wink, and the D in general seem to do a great job adjusting. The run D surprises the hell out of me as does the sudden emergence of a pass rush at times. We knew the secondary was going to perform (although Cox is a nice surprise). There was one point in the Titans game where we put in our backup Dline for an entire series and kept the O to a 3 and out. Huh? Color me impressed and happily surprised. Let's hope it keeps up.

UberBroncoMan
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Mason isn't a slouch either. He's like a Rod Smith for them.

Traveler
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I too think we'll have a legitimate shot at winning this game if we can do the following:

We've got to generate a pass rush.

OL & RB"s have to produce rushing the ball.

Keep pressure off Orton.

Match their physicality.

Cliche, I know, but we have to do it.

Fusionfrontman
10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
I'll be there too! I think we can win... need Moreno to get some sort of running game

azbroncfan
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
The combo of Orton and bottle of Jack make anything possible.

Hulamau
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
My key to victory is to keep Jones out of the secondary. No, really.

Was thinking the same thing Hope Goodie and Champ can play and Cox can swing at nickel.. Thought Jones was gonna make Vince look like Johnny Unitas there for awhile yesterday!

He just runs a step or two behind every receiver hoping to make a tackle once the catch is made.

Sassy
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I'll be there too! I think we can win... need Moreno to get some sort of running game

We need Moreno. Period!

boppool
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
If we win, McDaniels can sleep with my wife.

So, he can release the Tebow?

LOL Sorry Kaylore, couldn't resist

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 03:11 PM
So, he can release the Tebow?

LOL Sorry Kaylore, couldn't resist

I was actually expecting some Chris Kuper jokes. Boy that's two references to my wife and sex in one day. Not good, Kaylore, not good... :flush:

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
It's gonna be tough.

The Broncos hung right with them for a half last year, but then the special teams gave up a kick return TD to start the second half, and it was all downhill from there.

The offense has to show up in some form because the defense was absolutely gassed from being on the field so long.

oubronco
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Their defense is fuggin awesome

We had better find a running game quick cause if that defense pins their ears back and gets after the QB we will find out how tuff an ol boy Orton really is

TDmvp
10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
We could of had Ed Reed!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8416/17896606.jpg

baja
10-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Go Broncos.

Excellent post except the McD diss. ;D