PDA

View Full Version : we have Hillis 4-0

Spider
10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Nuff said

footstepsfrom#27
10-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Sigh...2nd straight game over 100 for him...against the Ravens and Bengals. And yet some in here still think he's no good.

OBF1
10-04-2010, 02:37 AM
You guys are idiots.

If my aunt has balls, she would be my uncle. Time to get over it girls, Hillis, Marshall, Cutler and Shanahan are gone forever.

The MVPlaya
10-04-2010, 03:22 AM
we have Dumervil 4-0

Sorry, my mistake, I like talking about players on the Broncos.

Drek
10-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Sigh...2nd straight game over 100 for him...against the Ravens and Bengals. And yet some in here still think he's no good.

That same Ravens D let Seneca Wallace go 18/21 against them.

The Bengals also do not look particularly impressive this year. In fact, I'd say that goes for the AFC North in general. Everyone thought this was going to be a power division but they've had hard fought battles in most of their non-divisional games.

Hillis had a chance here. He blew it. If he was our starting HB yesterday Orton gets sacked at least two or three more times because he never could figure out pass pro to save his life.

Meck77
10-04-2010, 05:04 AM
If we could reconstruct Terrel Davis's knee and take 10 years off his age we'd be 4-0.

*edit* Actually I take that back. Even TD would have a hard time running behind these blocks. That's for you popps!

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Awesome. He gained 102 yards against a rushing defense giving up 107 per game.

He must be the assumest runnin bck evah!

ELEVATION
10-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Nuff said

he is a good back, and he is missed in denver, but if you cant see the OL is the problem right now, i would call that blindness.......our OL doesnt have that want to yet.....when they get that our run game will improve whether we have hillis or moreno

Ramathorn
10-04-2010, 05:21 AM
if we had me at starting tailback, we'd be 0-4. count your blessings.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 05:21 AM
I find that when people use the term "nuff said" (specifically "nuff" over enough) that it really isn't.

Binkythefrog
10-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I find that when people use the term "nuff said" (specifically "nuff" over enough) that it really isn't.

Why all of the focus on the player transactions the Broncos screwed up?

Yes Hillis, Smith and Scheffler look a slightly better in other uniforms and perhaps Hillis would be better than any of the backs we have now. I would be curious to see how Hillis would fare with our Oline which allows penetration into the backfield nearly half the time.

But what about the signing/drafting of Lloyd, Ayers, Vaughn, Gaffney, Williams, Dawkins, Hill, and Goodman?

It's not like they've whiffed on every player transaction. Find me a team in the NFL that doesn't regret one or two player transactions they have made, and I'll eat my words. Denver isn't like the Lions/Raiders of old, constantly missing on almost all player transactions.

broncswin
10-04-2010, 05:51 AM
spider...you need to throat punch yourself for starting this thread...come on man, even the great Hillis would struggle behind this line.

Man-Goblin
10-04-2010, 05:52 AM
spider...you need to throat punch yourself for starting this thread...come on man, even the great Hillis would struggle behind this line.

Blasphemy.

driver
10-04-2010, 05:56 AM
You guys are idiots.

If my aunt has balls, she would be my uncle. Time to get over it girls, Hillis, Marshall, Cutler and Shanahan are gone forever.

The only one I miss. Good luck to him.LOL

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Why all of the focus on the player transactions the Broncos screwed up?

Yes Hillis, Smith and Scheffler look a slightly better in other uniforms and perhaps Hillis would be better than any of the backs we have now. I would be curious to see how Hillis would fare with our Oline which allows penetration into the backfield nearly half the time.

But what about the signing/drafting of Lloyd, Ayers, Vaughn, Gaffney, Williams, Dawkins, Hill, and Goodman?

It's not like they've whiffed on every player transaction. Find me a team in the NFL that doesn't regret one or two player transactions they have made, and I'll eat my words. Denver isn't like the Lions/Raiders of old, constantly missing on almost all player transactions.

Wait, you think people actually want to talk about positives? And you've been on the Mane since '04?

Signing good players is never good enough. Releasing marginal players is always a mistake, because if we had them, we'd be SO much better.

strafen
10-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Hillis had a chance here. He blew it. If he was our starting HB yesterday Orton gets sacked at least two or three more times because he never could figure out pass pro to save his life.Sure he did. He was just never given one...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Sure he did. He was just never given one...

That's not even remotely true. But keep ****in' that chicken.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 07:08 AM
awesome thread.....**** you brady quinn

Kaylore
10-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Hillis wouldn't play much here.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 07:12 AM
awesome thread.....**** you brady quinn

Yes, awesome! We should all be unified in whining and complaining after a win. No room for positivity and optimism here!

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes, awesome! We should all be unified in whining and complaining after a win. No room for positivity and optimism here!

then why are you on the Hillis thread?

go grab your pom pom's and start a thread about the defense. That's the side of the ball you should be optimistic about.

oubronco
10-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Ryan Torain had a nice game too

_Oro_
10-04-2010, 07:41 AM

No kidding. If we had the "Train" then we'd be set.

Rabb
10-04-2010, 07:41 AM
If we had TD we would be 4-0 also, and Elway.

I love this game

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 07:46 AM
One of the biggest blunders Mcd has done is to trade Hillis.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 07:48 AM
go grab your pom pom's and start a thread about the defense. That's the side of the ball you should be optimistic about.

Really? So this is the how we're going to roll now? No room for positivity after a win? How about Orton and the passing game, nothing good going on there either? I think we all know the running game is a mess and has to be fixed, but the fact that we've won two games, and competed in two other, in spite of the problems gives at least a little room for optimism, no? If we can put together any semblance of a rushing attack, and take some pressure off of Orton and the D, imagine how much better this team could possibly be. We have a young, banged up O-line and we're missing our #1 RB. If we start getting healthy things can bet better. The sun will come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar it will.

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Yes, trading the third-string running back was a terrible, terrible move. Like the OP said, 4-0 with Hillis, 2-2 without him.

:loopy:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Man, if only Torain had not gotten hurt EVERY ****ING TIME HE SAW THE FIELD.

Man, if only Hillis had made the most of his opportunities instead of missing blocks and dropping the ball.

Man, if only.

Gutless Drunk
10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14066086/week-4-judgements-sanchez-earning-pilots-license-for-jets

4. I want to know who in Denver thought it was a good idea to trade Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn. Nope, check that. I want to know who thought it was such a good idea the Broncos threw in two draft choices before signing off.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/03/week4.snaps/index.html
Can you believe the Browns got running back Peyton Hillis in exchange for the little-used Brady Quinn? Hillis has rushed for 246 yards and a pair of touchdowns the past two weeks, and against Cincinnati on Sunday his 102 yards and one score helped the Browns become the only 0-3 club to win in Week 4. I think Cleveland would take deals like Hillis for Quinn all day long.

Gutless Drunk
10-04-2010, 07:59 AM

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14066086/week-4-judgements-sanchez-earning-pilots-license-for-jets

4. I want to know who in Denver thought it was a good idea to trade Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn. Nope, check that. I want to know who thought it was such a good idea the Broncos threw in two draft choices before signing off.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/03/week4.snaps/index.html
Can you believe the Browns got running back Peyton Hillis in exchange for the little-used Brady Quinn? Hillis has rushed for 246 yards and a pair of touchdowns the past two weeks, and against Cincinnati on Sunday his 102 yards and one score helped the Browns become the only 0-3 club to win in Week 4. I think Cleveland would take deals like Hillis for Quinn all day long.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/03/week4.snaps/index.html#ixzz11OzfM6YX

I would trade all our RBs and Quinn for Hillis.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Ha!.....Everytime I saw him run yesterday I was waiting for a body part to fall off

Dagmar
10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
then why are you on the Hillis thread?

Wait, I thought McDaniels was a douche for letting Nolan go?

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Really? So this is the how we're going to roll now? No room for positivity after a win? .

what? I'm on the Bitch about Hillis thread.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Wait, I thought McDaniels was a douche for letting Nolan go?

he was if he fired him, but I guess the fealings were mutual.

eddie mac
10-04-2010, 08:16 AM
If you could all evaluate players you'd be earning big bucks in an NFL Front Office.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
If you could all evaluate players you'd be earning big bucks in an NFL Front Office.

hillis is a good RB, but a liability in pass blocking and special teams.

I've posted this several times

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Maroney was outright fail in pass protection yesterday. He can't catch the ball either. This is in addition to his inability to run with the ball. His hairdo is ghey as well.

Bahshay
10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
With our line, anyone short of Barry Sanders would be struggling. You cant expect our RBs to break 3 tackles in the backfield. Hillis would've been very useful to have for our struggling x-and-short game, but he wouldn't be a savior to us like he is to the Browns.

The Browns actually have a very good line.

Gort
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM

it's not that special a skill.

you just have to want to devote your life to the sport from an early age.

a guy i went to high school with is now a head coach in the NFL.

there's nothing particularly special about him except that he's spent his life building up specialized knowledge in that one area.

he's not getting the big bucks because he has a knack for the game. he's getting the big bucks because he's worked his way up the ladder to get where he is and acquired his knowledge as a result.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 08:32 AM
With our line, anyone short of Barry Sanders would be struggling. You cant expect our RBs to break 3 tackles in the backfield. Hillis would've been very useful to have for our struggling x-and-short game, but he wouldn't be a savior to us like he is to the Browns.

The Browns actually have a very good line.

is breaking one tackle too much to ask for?

Gort
10-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Maroney was outright fail in pass protection yesterday. He can't catch the ball either. This is in addition to his inability to run with the ball. His hairdo is ghey as well.

poor pass protection blocking = -1
can't catch = -1
can't run = -1
ghey hair = -1
former NE Patriot = priceless

he'll get plenty of touches for the rest of the year.

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Taco John
10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Hillis had a chance here. He blew it.

If I actually believed Hillis had a chance here and he blew it, this wouldn't even be an issue with me. But I don't believe this for a second. He didn't have an honest chance here. Moreno was promoted to the top spot without having to earn the job, and Hillis was sent packing. And now we need a runningback. That's the other thing... If we didn't need a runningback, it wouldn't be an issue. But we do, and will probably have to go looking for one next April.

baja
10-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Teach Moreno to fly and watch out....

Spider
10-04-2010, 08:38 AM
If Mile high was east west , Mardancer is our guy ....... Look you people can try to make up all the bull**** soothing pissing down your own leg feel good about this **** up excuse all you want ........ we **** the bed here , Hillis is a battering ram in pads , go ahead tell me in the redzone Hillis wouldnt be a factor even behind this line , and I will call you a bull****ter ....... As for that poster said we cant spot talent ......... what in the hell does talent have to do with a battering ram ? Hillis was even threat catching the ball out of the backfield.....U just dont **** can a bulldozer

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Maroney is a threat to drop passes out of the backfield. So, there's that.

WABronco
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
hillis is a good RB, but a liability in pass blocking and special teams.

I've posted this several times

How do we even know that? Implications from other posters? Maybe he was just a dick and wasn't buying in...like, I don't know, a lot of players don't.

Regardless, he's not on the team anymore. He's a running back. Unless his name is A. Peterson I'm not going to cry about losing a running back, one of the easiest spots to fill on any team.

And god damn TonyR get off militia's junk. I don't know as I'm not completely down on who's who with the "OM haterz" club but damn that was a fairly innocent comment and directly related to the thread title. We don't need your damn "hey chin up you sad sack" **** every time someone b****es just a little. And all you tards who get in rage-fests with that jhiz POS et al for 30 pages, you're all getting trolled way too easily. Just let it go, the forum would thank you.

/rant

WABronco
10-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Pretty much and anyone who says otherwise is fluffing. One play on third down he literally AVOIDED the rush coming up the gut and like played patty-cake with Stanley Daniels' back for some reason. Like, are you blind or scared or stupid?

Spider
10-04-2010, 08:47 AM
out losing a running back, one of the easiest spots to fill on any team.

/rant
we have done a great job so far .......

SouthStndJunkie
10-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I live in Ohio and I've had many Browns fans come up to me to thank us for Peyton Hillis....as well as thank us for taking Brady Quinn aka Mr. Meat Robot (that is what they call him) off their hands.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I live in Ohio and I've had many Browns fans come up to me to thank us for Peyton Hillis....as well as thank us for taking Brady Quinn aka Mr. Meat Robot (that is what they call him) off their hands.

Meat Robot. I have a lulz.

Greatspirits
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM

Totally agree, I been a McD supporter from the git go, but his treatment of Hillis has been a headscratcher!!

Bahshay
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
is breaking one tackle too much to ask for?

It isn't once he is past the LOS. Before the LOS, breaking a tackle without any momentum is tough.

Not an excuse for Maroney, who would fall over running into this:
http://www.worldsportinggoods.com/images/tackle.jpg

But until we have some semblance of a hole, no one will succeed running the ball.

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
If Mcd has shown some patience, we would not have been in this situation.
It's sad that we are passing on 3rd and 1

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Did we convert? I forget.

Spider
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Did we convert? I forget.

thats not the point ........ we converted this time , but we didnt do **** last week on the goal line ..... what about next time ?
passing on 3rd and short is a hellva way to make a livin

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 09:03 AM
the broncos were 3-15 on 3rd downs agains the titans....5-15 vs. the colts

spdirty
10-04-2010, 09:03 AM

I actually think I could do a better job out there than Maroney. I'm 5'9, 180 slow and soft But hell if I were in pass pro I could fall down and maybe the pass rusher trips over me. Running the ball I could at least dive forward immediately after receiving the ball. If I had to catch out of the backfield I'd probably **** myself seeing Cortland Finegan speeding towards me so me and Maroney are even there. And I do have a better haircut than that ghey do.

vancejohnson82
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
lets not forget that Maroney dropped at least 2 passes that hit him the hands yesterday...and those are the two that I remember, im sure there were more

baja
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM

I have to disagree I think his hair is cool.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I have to disagree I think his hair is cool.

Well that makes perfect sense. I was going to call it "the nettie pot of male hair fashion."

manchambo
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
This is powerful stoopid.

Walter Payton couldn't run very well when he was tacked in the backfield, and I'm fairly certain Hillis wouldn't, either.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Walter Payton couldn't run very well when he was tacked in the backfield, and I'm fairly certain Hillis wouldn't, either.

I'm fairly certain Hillis catches the swing pass that killed the drive when Maroney dropped it. To be fair, anyone besides Maroney probably catches it too.

Spider
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

baja
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Well that makes perfect sense. I was going to call it "the nettie pot of male hair fashion."

You should call it the mucoid plaque look;

http://www.detox-cleanse.com/images/mucoid-plaque.jpg

cabronco
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Yup thought that from the start. Mark Schlereth refered to him as a diesel truck that just mows defenders over. We could sure use a guy like that on 3rd ond 1, instead of another passing down.

Spider
10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Yup thought that from the start. Mark Schlereth refered to him as a diesel truck that just mows defenders over. We could sure use a guy like that on 3rd ond 1, instead of another passing down.

but Walter Payton ........

Popps
10-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Finally, another Hillis thread.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 10:00 AM
You should call it the mucoid plaque look;

http://www.detox-cleanse.com/images/mucoid-plaque.jpg

I cannot be grossed out with any sight or smell short of your "what gets my old balls off thread."

Spider
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM

yeah but this one is mine :wave:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM

I just want to make sure I understand your point.

We can't run the ball on 3rd and 1, because we won't get it. If we do, and try it more than once, McD gets hammered for play calling.

So instead, we throw the ball, and convert, and McD gets hammered for playcalling?

Hmm. Okay.

baja
10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I cannot be grossed out with any sight or smell short of your "what gets my old balls off thread."

What thread is that?

Dagmar
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM

The last one ended well...

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
What thread is that?

The "how old were you when" thread.

Meck77
10-04-2010, 10:18 AM
If I actually believed Hillis had a chance here and he blew it, this wouldn't even be an issue with me. But I don't believe this for a second. He didn't have an honest chance here. Moreno was promoted to the top spot without having to earn the job, and Hillis was sent packing. And now we need a runningback. That's the other thing... If we didn't need a runningback, it wouldn't be an issue. But we do, and will probably have to go looking for one next April.

And you thought Griese was a great QB. And you hated Plummer. And you loved Cutler...and so and so forth.

I really don't think McD got rid of Hillis to hurt the team. If it was a mistake so be it. We can't change it. If we were healthier we'd probably be sitting at 3-1 or maybe even 4-0 and some people would still be complaining.

*rattles cowbell* Go Broncos!

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
the thread is another shining example of why the Mane exists.

and if you don't agree with me, you're bat **** crazy ;D

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I just want to make sure I understand your point.

We can't run the ball on 3rd and 1, because we won't get it. If we do, and try it more than once, McD gets hammered for play calling.

So instead, we throw the ball, and convert, and McD gets hammered for playcalling?

Hmm. Okay.

That's the reason i am saying that we should have kept Hillis.
It's said that everyone feels more comfortable when we were in 3rd and long instead of 3rd and 1.
you can't win games without running the ball.
Orton can't survive if he keeps throwing 50 times a game.

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 11:57 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101003/SPT02/310030032/1066/Hillis-runs-over-Bengals-kills-the-clock

CLEVELAND – After pounding Baltimore for 144 yards, Peyton Hillis ended up pounding the Bengals.

The third-year running back had 102 yards on 27 carries and ended up putting the game away in Cleveland’s 23-20 win over the Bengals on Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

• Joe Reedy's Bengals blog
• Follow Joe Reedy on Twitter
• Chick Ludwig's blog

With the Bengals trying to get the ball one last time to try to take the lead or send the game into overtime, Hillis took over. On second-and-7 from the Browns 30 with 2:46 remaining, after the Bengals had called their final timeout, Hillis busted off right tackle for 24 yards to put the game away.

On the final drive, Hillis had six straight carries for 38 yards.

“The play before, we ran the exact same play and one of my guards (Eric Steinbach) came and told me that if it wasn’t inside, be sure to bounce out because there is nothing out there,” Hillis said. “I took his word for it and it ended up being good for me.”

Hillis, acquired from Denver for quarterback Brady Quinn, has become an unlikely offensive star for the 1-3 Browns. His touchdown on the opening drive of the second half made him the first Cleveland back to score a rushing touchdown in four straight games since Greg Pruitt did it in five straight in 1975.

On that drive, Hillis had six carries for 17 yards, including a couple carries where he bowled over Bengals defenders.

Said Browns coach Eric Mangini: “He’s tough, physical. His message from coming out of the locker room was feed me, and we did.”

It also marks the second straight year that a Cleveland back has run for 100 yards or more against the Bengals.

“He is always huge,” said quarterback Seneca Wallace.

rbackfactory80
10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
If we have Hillis we are 5-0.

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
It also marks the second straight year that a Cleveland back has run for 100 yards or more against the Bengals.

Righteous.

The way people talk about Hillis, I was starting to think he was the only running back who ever gained 100 yards against someone.

go_broncos
10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Righteous.

The way people talk about Hillis, I was starting to think he was the only running back who ever gained 100 yards against someone.

Right now, I will take 70-80 yards rushing a game. We rushed around 30 yards yesterday. It is pathetic.
We had Hillis who can pound the ball.
Mcd traded him to Cleveland for Quinn.
As per Mcd, a running back has to do many things in his system.
I just don't see what the **** they are doing.

Missouribronc
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Right now, I will take 70-80 yards rushing a game. We rushed around 30 yards yesterday. It is pathetic.

Did you just become a fan this year?

Because if you were around last year, you would have seen Hillis doing nothing but screwing up, time after time after time.

He's has THREE good games in his entire three year career. And quit kidding yourself if you think Hillis would have run for 70 or 80 yards yesterday, because that wasn't going to happen.

There's a reason that the guy has never been named a starter at tailback since high school.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
If we still had Hillis, Chris Simms would probably be our starter after he missed a block...

cutthemdown
10-04-2010, 12:17 PM
We throw so much that his pass blocking might not have been good enough for our system.

He's doing good though and I am happy for him. Hillis ran hard, sacrificed his body in Denver, so I am glad he is doing well.

Now Scheff, Marshall, Cutler can get legs broke.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Now Scheff, Marshall, Cutler can get legs broke.

The way Cutler's being protected this isn't all that unlikely...

Spider
10-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Because if you were around last year, you would have seen Hillis doing nothing but screwing up, time after time after time.

He's has THREE good games in his entire three year career. And quit kidding yourself if you think Hillis would have run for 70 or 80 yards yesterday, because that wasn't going to happen.

There's a reason that the guy has never been named a starter at tailback since high school.
guys like Hillis are not feature backs ....... They are short yardage chain movers...goal line threats , power running , so get off the feature back stick .....

Spider
10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

not going to happen over 16 games with Hillis ....... He is what he is ...... Power ....

Taco John
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Righteous.

He has more running yards than our entire running game. I don't even think a single of our runningbacks has gained a 100 yard game with the Broncos.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Interestingly enought Maroney went 16-123-1 against the Titans last year playing for NE. With a little blocking the guy isn't as totally useless and many of you believe.

bronco militia
10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Interestingly enought Maroney went 16-123-1 against the Titans last year playing for NE. With a little blocking the guy isn't as totally useless and many of you believe.

sounds like Maroney lost his mojo....that might explain why the pats got rid of him.

Harvitz81
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
REally disappointed this isn't a 15 pager by now.

SouthStndJunkie
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
He has more running yards than our entire running game. I don't even think a single of our runningbacks has gained a 100 yard game with the Broncos.

Correll Buckhalter had 2 100 yard games last year.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 02:17 PM

And TJ wrong again Hilarious!

Taco John
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM

I personally think he's the best runningback on our roster.

Taco John
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
And TJ wrong again Hilarious!

Those two don't do anything to dispell the point I was making. I mean, it's two, not ten.

montrose
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM

I have a hard time believing Adrian Peterson could get 100 yards behind this OL, let alone Hillis.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Those two don't do anything to dispell the point I was making. I mean, it's two, not ten.

Wait, are you trying to say that our team is less than uber-proficient in running the football? Why, I had no idea!?!?!?

See I can have fun with teh hyperbole on the Interwebz :yayaya: I just love giving you the business:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbO0RQmESHM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbO0RQmESHM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

misturanderson
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Here's my post from the other Hillis thread specifically for you spider (or anyone else that thinks that Hillis would somehow be automatic in short yardage):

Once again. He did give Hillis short yardage touches last year and he failed at all of them. Here are his short yardage runs and passes from last year outside of the KC game where they couldn't stop anyone running the ball.

Week 1
3-2-DEN 44 (4:28) 8-K.Orton pass incomplete short right to 22-P.Hillis. Hit him in the hands.

Week 2
1-1-OAK 1 (7:56) PENALTY on DEN-22-P.Hillis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 1 - No Play.

2-2-OAK 2 (6:42) 22-P.Hillis left guard to OAK 1 for 1 yard (Team).

3-1-OAK 1 (6:02) 22-P.Hillis up the middle to OAK 1 for no gain (Team).

Week 16
3-1-PHI 16 (11:07) 22-P.Hillis up the middle to PHI 16 for no gain (50-W.Witherspoon, 54-J.Trotter).

These also don't include any timeouts that had to be burned because he wasn't lined up in the right place. It also doesn't include his fumble of the opening kickoff of the browns game. The raiders game cemented his spot on the bench because he was so unbelievably bad when he was in there on short yardage inside the 5.

Hillis wasn't used last year because every time he was in the game for the first 3 weeks he screwed up. What is so hard to understand about that?<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Dedhed
10-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Coming from you, that says a lot, just not what you think it says.

Dedhed
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
He has more running yards than our entire running game.
So what?

Popps
10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
No one is going to mention Cleveland's offensive line, huh?

NFL Live even broke it down and SHOWED you people how talented they were last week.

Hillis wasn't even touched on his TD yesterday.

Nothing against Hillis. I think he's a talented runner, but Cleveland's line is dominant. You don't run all over the Ravens like they did without one of the best lines, and best fullbacks in football.

Taco John
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I have a hard time believing Adrian Peterson could get 100 yards behind this OL, let alone Hillis.

If that's the case, then someone in the front office needs to be reassigned. If you guys seriously believe that Adrian Peterson couldn't run 100 yards behind our Oline, then who are you suggesting be held accountable for such a mess?

Taco John
10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
For my part, I think that's nonsense. I believe that we could field a 100 yard day with a talented back. I absolutely agree that we don't have the best rushing line, but I don't think that they're so inept that absolutely no one can get yards behind them. I find that notion ridicules.

ColoradoDarin
10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
If that's the case, then someone in the front office needs to be reassigned.

Clady coming off injury, Harris first game back from injury, Walton is a rookie, Kuper coming off injury, Daniels is a first year player. Beadles, a rookie, playing significant time.

We must fire someone because Clady got injured playing pickup bball! We must fire someone because we addressed the line during the draft, but the players don't yet have much game experience!

Health and time together is what out line needs, I don't know what coach is in charge of that....

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
The great ones MAKE their own plays.

Popps
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
If that's the case, then someone in the front office needs to be reassigned. If you guys seriously believe that Adrian Peterson couldn't run 100 yards behind our Oline, then who are you suggesting be held accountable for such a mess?

I think Peterson would struggle with no running lanes, just like any other back.

Re-watch the game from yesterday, and tell me how many runs featured players IN our backfield before runner could have possibly gotten to the LOS?

The difference with Peterson/Johnson is... if they break one run, they're over 100 yards for the day.

We don't have a breakaway runner. Hillis isn't a breakaway runner. Hillis needs space and time to get his big frame moving. Hence, he did well in Shanny's scheme and is doing well with a great line in Cleveland.

We've got real problems with our running scheme. Who to blame? I don't know. The coach or the coordinators. Or, maybe these things just take time when you have a few rookies and an injured LT out there.

Spider
10-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Here's my post from the other Hillis thread specifically for you spider (or anyone else that thinks that Hillis would somehow be automatic in short yardage):

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

and what are we doing now ? ...... 4 tries from what yard line to score ?
Sir Dance alot is doing a great job ......... Look Numbnuts , Hillis isnt automatic, so he missed a few , they all do , but he gives us a hella better chance then what we have now ........... Even you can see that I hope

Spider
10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
3 out of 15 was it ? our 3 rd down conversions ? telling me on 3 rd and 3 Hillis fails more then 3 out of 15 ? or is stopped 4 times in a row on a goal line ? Are you out of your ****ing mind ?

montrose
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Josh McDaniels and Brian Xanders.

For my part, I think that's nonsense. I believe that we could field a 100 yard day with a talented back. I absolutely agree that we don't have the best rushing line, but I don't think that they're so inept that absolutely no one can get yards behind them. I find that notion ridicules.

I disagree completely, after just rewatching the game a 2nd time - I'm actually partially impressed with Maroney and Buckhalter's performance yesterday. That's how pathetic the Broncos OL is. Yes they did miss some holes, but I was intrigued at the fact they continued to run hard despite the fact they were hit in the backfield or at the LOS on nearly every running play I could find - generally with Babin or another DL beating Daniels or Walton cleanly into the backfield. There's a reason the RB position isn't considered premium in the NFL - because it's more about the OL and that's what were finding now. Is Knowshon better than Buck and Maroney? Yes, but he's not good enough to overcome the worst OL in football.

TDmvp
10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Awesome. He gained 102 yards against a rushing defense giving up 107 per game.

He must be the assumest runnin bck evah!

He also got 100 vs the Ravens tho and In 14+ seasons, only 23 running backs have posted triple digits in rushing against the Ravens.
:strong:

I don't think trading him was like the end of the world or anything but Hillis is a great option in a lot of scenarios . I sure bet a lot of Bengals Dbs will think about how bad hitting him hurts all week.

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 05:37 PM
He also got 100 vs the Ravens tho and In 14+ seasons, only 23 running backs have posted triple digits in rushing against the Ravens.
:strong:

I don't think trading him was like the end of the world or anything but Hillis is a great option in a lot of scenarios . I sure bet a lot of Bengals Dbs will think about how bad hitting him hurts all week.

Long live Tatum Bell!

Oh wait, he only had 92.

LOL

theAPAOps5
10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
No we wouldn't be, Hillis can't run behind the blocking our OL is giving.

Popps
10-04-2010, 05:42 PM
3 out of 15 was it ? our 3 rd down conversions ? telling me on 3 rd and 3 Hillis fails more then 3 out of 15 ? or is stopped 4 times in a row on a goal line ? Are you out of your ****ing mind ?

Spider,

Pull up the Colts game from last season and watch Hillis try to convert 3rd and short. He gets stuffed. (Moreno came in and converted on the next play.)

When a RB runs directly into 3 defenders before he can get his second foot planted on the ground, it doesn't matter WHO he is.

The running game sucks, and I know people need a simple scapegoat. But, it's a bigger issue. We've got fundamental line problems that have to be addressed.

Flip the scenario. Backs like Olandis Gary tore up the league in Shanahan's system when it was working. Gary went on to do nothing else in the league.
Mike Anderson went nowhere after leaving Denver.

A great line can make an ordinary back look excellent.

Conversely, a ****ty job of blocking up front can make even great runners look sub-par.

Hillis is a very talented physical player. But, had he run behind our line on Sunday, I would have expected similar results.

WolfpackGuy
10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Pull up the Colts game from last season and watch Hillis try to convert 3rd and short. He gets stuffed. (Moreno came in and converted on the next play.)

You brought this up in another thread last week.

Tell me, where in the game log is this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121304/2009/REG14/broncos@colts/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

First and 10 is not 3rd and short and Moreno did not convert ANYTHING at all in that game.

broncolife
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM
If we had Hillis we could run from punt formation . He then would have the time to get his momentum going. He might just only get back to the line of scrimmage but he also might kill 3 guys doing it :)

oubronco
10-04-2010, 06:02 PM
You brought this up in another thread last week.

Tell me, where in the game log is this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121304/2009/REG14/broncos@colts/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

First and 10 is not 3rd and short and Moreno did not convert ANYTHING at all in that game.

Buehler....... Buehler........... Buehler

Spider
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Spider,

When a RB runs directly into 3 defenders before he can get his second foot planted on the ground, it doesn't matter WHO he is.

The running game sucks, and I know people need a simple scapegoat. But, it's a bigger issue. We've got fundamental line problems that have to be addressed.

Flip the scenario. Backs like Olandis Gary tore up the league in Shanahan's system when it was working. Gary went on to do nothing else in the league.
Mike Anderson went nowhere after leaving Denver.

A great line can make an ordinary back look excellent.

Conversely, a ****ty job of blocking up front can make even great runners look sub-par.

Hillis is a very talented physical player. But, had he run behind our line on Sunday, I would have expected similar results.
;D I remember that , ****ty call , yes our line is bad in run blocking , but still like when 1 defender from the colts got sir dance alot knee on the ground negating a much needed TD , Hillis is no cut back runner , he isnt a feature back , all he is , is a younger version of Mike Alstott , but my point still stands , Hillis converts more then 3 out of 15 , and we score in the redzone .... Hillis is no secret , better believe Line backers etc are watching him . prime set up for PAP ...... and Hillis would help in ball control ..... Look I am not saying Hillis is a feature back , or he is walter payton , not even earl Campbell , what he is , a short yardage monster , for every stop you guys can come up I can come up with where he made it ..For a stretch there , Hillis was our only offense and we was wining .......

TonyR
10-04-2010, 06:14 PM
For my part, I think that's nonsense. I believe that we could field a 100 yard day with a talented back.

Then you absolutely don't understand what you're watching. Although neither are world beaters both Maroney and Buckhalter are more than capable running backs. The fact that neither can get anything going should probably tell you something.

Spider
10-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Then you absolutely don't understand what you're watching. Although neither are world beaters both Maroney and Buckhalter are more than capable running backs. The fact that neither can get anything going should probably tell you something.

I understand the difference in a runner attacking the POA and some guy auditioning for Dancing with the stars

montrose
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's my assessment, with video:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=94207

misturanderson
10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
;D I remember that , ****ty call , yes our line is bad in run blocking , but still like when 1 defender from the colts got sir dance alot knee on the ground negating a much needed TD , Hillis is no cut back runner , he isnt a feature back , all he is , is a younger version of Mike Alstott , but my point still stands , Hillis converts more then 3 out of 15 , and we score in the redzone .... Hillis is no secret , better believe Line backers etc are watching him . prime set up for PAP ...... and Hillis would help in ball control ..... Look I am not saying Hillis is a feature back , or he is walter payton , not even earl Campbell , what he is , a short yardage monster , for every stop you guys can come up I can come up with where he made it ..For a stretch there , Hillis was our only offense and we was wining .......

Look, he was good in 2008 when he got playing time and he has been good this year. I will admit that he would probably be a good piece to have this year with all of our running back injuries.

BUT he would not be doing nearly as well here as he is in Cleveland because our line is epically bad (which is a big problem that needs to be fixed somehow). I also don't see how anyone can really fault McDaniels for getting rid of him for Quin after how he played here last year. Especially if he is as bad at practice as he must be to have so much trouble cracking the starting lineup of every team that he plays for.

SoCalBronco
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM

I was actually talking to a colleague of mine at Court today about Hillis. He's a Browns fan and told me that this is like the first time he can ever remember them winning a trade (altho he mentioned shipping Braylon Edwards out last year was a good thing in his opinion). He says Hillis is kind of a fan favorite. I guess he wore a cowboy hat in an interview on the field after some preseason game or something like that and people just ate it up...not sure if this really happened but he claims it. He says they also like his running style alot. Mind you, he doesn't think Hillis is the second coming or anything, but he appreciates watching him bowl over people and he seems to be a good guy, too.

The claims adjuster on his case was probably not thrilled that we were wasting time on Hillis rather than getting stuff done....but there you have it. Hillis is now interfering with Court business in California. His reach is endless.

Stud.

Spider
10-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Look, he was good in 2008 when he got playing time and he has been good this year. I will admit that he would probably be a good piece to have this year with all of our running back injuries.

BUT he would not be doing nearly as well here as he is in Cleveland because our line is epically bad (which is a big problem that needs to be fixed somehow). I also don't see how anyone can really fault McDaniels for getting rid of him for Quin after how he played here last year. Especially if he is as bad at practice as he must be to have so much trouble cracking the starting lineup of every team that he plays for.

I never claimed he is going to bust off 2 k , or even a century mark game , all I am claiming is he gets the short yardage and goal line , and we stomp the colts if we get TD's in the redzone ...........

misturanderson
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I never claimed he is going to bust off 2 k , or even a century mark game , all I am claiming is he gets the short yardage and goal line , and we stomp the colts if we get TD's in the redzone ...........

But he didn't convert in short yardage last year with an arguably better OL than we have now (sadly). What makes you think he would do so much better this year, in this offense?

strafen
10-05-2010, 09:10 AM
But he didn't convert in short yardage last year with an arguably better OL than we have now (sadly). What makes you think he would do so much better this year, in offense?Because he's supposed to convert at a 100% success rate, right, moron?

Missouribronc
10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Because he's supposed to convert at a 100% success rate, right, moron?

How about convert sometimes. Does that work? Because that still didn't happen last year.

broncocalijohn
10-05-2010, 10:06 AM
To be fair, the other Hillis thread got closed after Dagmar got his reprieve of being banned for a week. Six minus Eight did get to keep his ban since no one likes him and fought for his relief. Once that one got closed, another 2 has to take its place. I love hillis but wouldnt start a thread like this. If you want at least 9 pages, put Hillis in your title.

Spider
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
But he didn't convert in short yardage last year with an arguably better OL than we have now (sadly). What makes you think he would do so much better this year, in this offense?

he wasnt used much last year ........ Ask McD why , I cant explain it

Spider
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
To be fair, the other Hillis thread got closed after Dagmar got his reprieve of being banned for a week. Six minus Eight did get to keep his ban since no one likes him and fought for his relief. Once that one got closed, another 2 has to take its place. I love hillis but wouldnt start a thread like this. If you want at least 9 pages, put Hillis in your title.

;D thats cause it is a great argument , I dont want McD fired , but he screwed up , but people take it to the extreme ;D ........ Hell we even had a Walter Payton reference ........ People have to take it to the extreme ;D

Kaylore
10-05-2010, 10:38 AM
;D thats cause it is a great argument , I dont want McD fired , but he screwed up
no he didn't. I'm going to post this here too:

Here's the truth about Hillis. He's a hard guy to tackle and runs people over. He also has the hands of Calvin Johnson and has great feet. This makes him a threat in the run and pass.

Unfortunately he is also a poor blocker, both in the run and pass game. On blitz recognition he's pretty terrible and when it comes to the actual technique of blocking someone he's below average. He is a better run blocker, likely from his time spent as a FB, but not a great one (Larsen is better.)

On special teams he shows little to no discipline. They tried playing him as a return man to take advantage of his size, hands and keep from having to cover kicks and punts, which he is terrible at. He was below average here as well.

Probably most of all, Hillis is pretty dumb. He has a real problem remembering the game plan. If you watch Browns games, they never ask him to pass block and run a handful of the same running plays every game to keep it simple for him.

Now some are going to say "why can't we use that here?" Because this offense is too cerebral. First of all, rather than what the Browns do, which is call a play and run that play no matter what, the offense gets two plays at the line before the ball is even snapped. Then Orton and the line make sight adjustments based on what they see and the tendencies studied during the week and formations practiced. This means the entire play is changed, or a few players tweak their routes and protections only slightly, depending on the need. For Hillis this is too much. The guy can't process that information. Further, his problems in the blocking department limits his effectiveness if Orton needed to audible to keep him in to block, this is assuming that Hillis has even the slightest idea of what everyone is doing.

Hillis is a great instincts runner with great hands that can run over people. In a simplified offense, where you limit his responsibilities on third down (the Browns never ask him to block, he just runs a Texas route or isn't on the field at all in third and long situations) and you run the same three or four rushing plays where he can just take the ball and get up field and "do his thang," he can be productive.

Not here. We do too much and require players to be intelligent and versatile. Versatile means more than "ZOMG HE RUNS N CACHES TOOOO!!!!". It means being able to adjust on the fly and have intimate knowledge of the playbook to be able to make several changes.

Is it a drawback of this offense? Yes. Compared to an offense of like Shanahan's, where he'd find the few things a guy can do well and use it, it limits the type of personnel this team will look for. Still, you'll be hard pressed to find a coach that let's a back who can't pass protect start. This is why all three coaches have not given him the starting job at the beginning of the seasons. It is also why he fell in the draft.

So there it is. Does that make more sense to some of you? I know for some, like go_denethor, they will never get over the great white hype. But for most of you, you can see the logic in letting him go.

Spider
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
no he didn't. I'm going to post this here too:

Here's the truth about Hillis. He's a hard guy to tackle and runs people over. He also has the hands of Calvin Johnson and has great feet. This makes him a threat in the run and pass.

Unfortunately he is also a poor blocker, both in the run and pass game. On blitz recognition he's pretty terrible and when it comes to the actual technique of blocking someone he's below average. He is a better run blocker, likely from his time spent as a FB, but not a great one (Larsen is better.)

On special teams he shows little to no discipline. They tried playing him as a return man to take advantage of his size, hands and keep from having to cover kicks and punts, which he is terrible at. He was below average here as well.

Probably most of all, Hillis is pretty dumb. He has a real problem remembering the game plan. If you watch Browns games, they never ask him to pass block and run a handful of the same running plays every game to keep it simple for him.

Now some are going to say "why can't we use that here?" Because this offense is too cerebral. First of all, rather than what the Browns do, which is call a play and run that play no matter what, the offense gets two plays at the line before the ball is even snapped. Then Orton and the line make sight adjustments based on what they see and the tendencies studied during the week and formations practiced. This means the entire play is changed, or a few players tweak their routes and protections only slightly, depending on the need. For Hillis this is too much. The guy can't process that information. Further, his problems in the blocking department limits his effectiveness if Orton needed to audible to keep him in to block, this is assuming that Hillis has even the slightest idea of what everyone is doing.

Hillis is a great instincts runner with great hands that can run over people. In a simplified offense, where you limit his responsibilities on third down (the Browns never ask him to block, he just runs a Texas route or isn't on the field at all in third and long situations) and you run the same three or four rushing plays where he can just take the ball and get up field and "do his thang," he can be productive.

Not here. We do too much and require players to be intelligent and versatile. Versatile means more than "ZOMG HE RUNS N CACHES TOOOO!!!!". It means being able to adjust on the fly and have intimate knowledge of the playbook to be able to make several changes.

Is it a drawback of this offense? Yes. Compared to an offense of like Shanahan's, where he'd find the few things a guy can do well and use it, it limits the type of personnel this team will look for. Still, you'll be hard pressed to find a coach that let's a back who can't pass protect start. This is why all three coaches have not given him the starting job at the beginning of the seasons. It is also why he fell in the draft.

So there it is. Does that make more sense to some of you? I know for some, like go_denethor, they will never get over the great white hype. But for most of you, you can see the logic in letting him go.

this is why I said he isnt a feature back , not even a fullback , no matter how cerebral this offense is , it is all the same in short yardage goaline offense ......Hillis had a role here , doesnt take brains or discipline ..... Just brawn , at least keep him until you get that dominating TE .......

Kaylore
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
this is why I said he isnt a feature back , not even a fullback , no matter how cerebral this offense is , it is all the same in short yardage goaline offense ......Hillis had a role here , doesnt take brains or discipline ..... Just brawn , at least keep him until you get that dominating TE .......
No I disagree. McDaniels is right: Either he starts or he doesn't play. If you can't start , you HAVE to play special teams and Hillis sucks on ST. No one in the NFL keeps a roster spot for a short yardage back that can't play special teams. Can't we just be happy McDaniels did the best thing for both parties?

Spider
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
No I disagree. McDaniels is right: Either he starts or he doesn't play. If you can't start , you HAVE to play special teams and Hillis sucks on ST. No one in the NFL keeps a roster spot for a short yardage back that can't play special teams. Can't we just be happy McDaniels did the best thing for both parties?

well we agree to disagree , Like I said I dont want McD fired , I like the guy ..... I just dont see letting power go ;D

Kaylore
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
well we agree to disagree , Like I said I dont want McD fired , I like the guy ..... I just dont see letting power go ;D

Prepare to be disappointed again this election. :D

Blart
10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
The type of people who love Hillis also love Tebow, so they can never truly hate McDaniels.

Bronco Yoda
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM

You do realize that Hillis was on a college team blocking for the running back duo Darren McFadden and Felix Jones right? You think that might have something to do with him stuck at FB? Hmmmmmmmmmm

No?

Hillis’s senior year at Arkansas had him even playing a blocking tight end and drop-back receiver at times.

Now you know. No excuses for ever saying what you said ever again. Agreed?

Missouribronc
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
You do realize that Hillis was on a college team blocking for the running back duo Darren McFadden and Felix Jones right? You think that might have something to do with him stuck at FB? Hmmmmmmmmmm

No?

Hillis’s senior year at Arkansas had him even playing a blocking tight end and drop-back receiver at times.

Now you know. No excuses for ever saying what you said ever again. Agreed?

So, he still hasn't been named the starting tailback on any team since high school?

And you do realize that he might be a better NFL running back than the other two, yet he still can't crack the starting lineup coming out of camp unless there is an injury.

Look, it just makes me wonder, that's all.

Spider
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Prepare to be disappointed again this election. :D

;D..... we will see

Bronco Yoda
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I think Peterson would struggle with no running lanes, just like any other back.

Re-watch the game from yesterday, and tell me how many runs featured players IN our backfield before runner could have possibly gotten to the LOS?

The difference with Peterson/Johnson is... if they break one run, they're over 100 yards for the day.

We don't have a breakaway runner. Hillis isn't a breakaway runner. Hillis needs space and time to get his big frame moving. Hence, he did well in Shanny's scheme and is doing well with a great line in Cleveland.

We've got real problems with our running scheme. Who to blame? I don't know. The coach or the coordinators. Or, maybe these things just take time when you have a few rookies and an injured LT out there.

I rewatched some of it. I have to agree. This was some of the WORST run blocking I can ever remember. All we can hope is that it's due to injury and things will pick up.