PDA

View Full Version : Colts fans want Larry Coyer fired

Bob's your Information Minister
10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Colts just got raped by the Jags for 31 point and about 200 yards rushing. Their D stinks to high heaven.

Colts fans calling for Coyer's head.

The Official Fire Larry Coyer Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34602)

This is defense is beyond pathetic, and Coyer is doing NOTHING to fix it, fire his sorry azz!!!!!
Where the **** do I signI want Dungy back

Cover 2 for me, these losers aren't good enough to play exotic style defense on certain plays
only if we can fire caldwell as well

Mr.Meanie
10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I just tried to start a thread and keep getting errors. Anyone else get this>?

Kaylore
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I just tried to start a thread and keep getting errors. Anyone else get this>?

You have to use a title that is no more than 4 characters when you first create one. Just go back and edit it to say what you want once it's up.

Tim
10-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Coyer blows.. I bet espn and nfln will blame the loss on and rush D on not having bob saunders.

10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Taco will be along in a minute to defend Coyer.

24champ
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
In b4 Popps vs Taco epicness. (Plummer vs Coyer blame game for 2005 AFC 'Ship)

Archer81
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Coyer was like...300 d coordinators ago.

:Broncos:

TonyR
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Other than Freeney, Mathis and Brackett they really don't have a lot of top tier talent on that defense. Very similar to their offense outside of Manning, Wayne and a couple of the other WR's. Manning carries that team, they'd be sub .500 without him.

Mogulseeker
10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
It's not fair that I can't start threads, but Bob can.

10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It's not fair that I can't start threads, but Bob can.

I'd trade the ability to start threads for an avatar.

Archer81
10-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Other than Freeney, Mathis and Brackett they really don't have a lot of top tier talent on that defense. Very similar to their offense outside of Manning, Wayne and a couple of the other WR's. Manning carries that team, they'd be sub .500 without him.

currently .500 with him.

Colts look a little old to me all of a sudden.

:Broncos:

UberBroncoMan
10-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Going to point out to all the ****ing Coyer apologists. "If we didn't fire him Shanahan would still be here!" etc.

Do any of you remember what we hated about him? He never played to win the game at the end. He'd go prevent and more often than not we'd get scored on and lose.

What happens at the end of this game? His defense lets the Jags go down the field to their 40 with only 50 seconds left in the game. BAM FG, win.

Coyer has an better D-Line than we ever had too.

10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Good stuff. Interesting.

1. Coyer's defensive scheme is broken and everyone refuses to adjust. It was broken in the Super Bowl and the team just pretends like the Super Bowl never happened. You can play bend-don't-break all you want, but if you break, what's the point?

What's the point of the cushion? And I'm mostly talking about cushion on 3rd-and-8s, critical 3rd-and-8s - DBs playing 15 yards off. Inexcusable. Dumb. Terrible scheming. At some point, you have to put your defenders in a position to make a stop or make a play. I know they've been playing poorly, but Coyer's broken scheme actually seems to enable their suckitude. It also dials up ineffective blitz packages and refuses to account for two or three-step drops from QBs, like they've never seen those before.

IF the QB is releasing the ball almost immediately after the snap, THEN you should not be 15 yards off. You should be in a position to break up that pass. I don't understand why the Colts give so much cushion in so many key situations. But they do, and in typical Caldwell fashion, they refuse to adjust.

misturanderson
10-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Good stuff. Interesting.

1. Coyer's defensive scheme is broken and everyone refuses to adjust. It was broken in the Super Bowl and the team just pretends like the Super Bowl never happened. You can play bend-don't-break all you want, but if you break, what's the point?

What's the point of the cushion? And I'm mostly talking about cushion on 3rd-and-8s, critical 3rd-and-8s - DBs playing 15 yards off. Inexcusable. Dumb. Terrible scheming. At some point, you have to put your defenders in a position to make a stop or make a play. I know they've been playing poorly, but Coyer's broken scheme actually seems to enable their suckitude. It also dials up ineffective blitz packages and refuses to account for two or three-step drops from QBs, like they've never seen those before.

IF the QB is releasing the ball almost immediately after the snap, THEN you should not be 15 yards off. You should be in a position to break up that pass. I don't understand why the Colts give so much cushion in so many key situations. But they do, and in typical Caldwell fashion, they refuse to adjust.

These are literally the exact same problems he had here. He would give unbelievably large cushions on passing downs so that we gave up 1sts on 3rd and long constantly and he would never adjust to a team abusing his idiotic cushion over and over again. It's the main reason the Broncos didn't go to the Superbowl in 2003.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Coyer blows.. I bet espn and nfln will blame the loss on and rush D on not having bob saunders.

They already blamed the Colt's failing season on Sanders.

Oh, the Colts are only 2-2. Its a failed season.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
In b4 Popps vs Taco epicness. (Plummer vs Coyer blame game for 2005 AFC 'Ship)

Both dumbasses as both played horribly in that game.

broncosteven
10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Colts had 2 turnovers in or near the redzone. That is what killed them today, I am not a fan of Coyer but the turnovers took 2 scores off the board.

TomServo
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
the fans or the coaches dont run the colts. p manning does

Taco John
10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't know enough about the Colts situation on defense to even hazard a defense. I just know that Coyer was a good DC when he was here who was given chicken crap and made chicken salad with it, and that I believe we'd have been better off with him than we were with the guys who replaced him.

OABB
10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Coyer was a good d coord.....

In thefirst half of games.

It was the second half that was problematic.

24champ
10-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't know enough about the Colts situation on defense to even hazard a defense. I just know that Coyer was a good DC when he was here who was given chicken crap and made chicken salad with it, and that I believe we'd have been better off with him than we were with the guys who replaced him.

I'm in the camp of where if the Broncos had given Jim Bates more than half a season to work on the defense, we would have been fine. The defense had some crap parts and it was going to take more than just a couple games to figure it out what to do with it. We never were going to win the big games with Coyer's bend but don't break defense. We always got destroyed in our last games.

Popps
10-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm in the camp of where if the Broncos had given Jim Bates more than half a season to work on the defense, we would have been fine. The defense had some crap parts and it was going to take more than just a couple games to figure it out what to do with it. We never were going to win the big games with Coyer's bend but don't break defense. We always got destroyed in our last games.

Look, Coyer did some good things in Denver... but when your squads have repeated breakdowns in marquee games at record-setting rates... it's a natural thing to be asked to move on.

People just can't get their heads around the idea that change is a normal part of coaching. ALL great coaches have been let go. It's just part of the cycle of football.

Guys don't stay in one place forever in the pros. It almost never happens.

As for 2005, we were lacking talent for sure, but the defensive breakdown we watched in that championship game went way beyond lacking player, imo.

I wish Coyer the best. Like all coaches, he'll have highs and lows. It's part of the game.

24champ
10-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Look, Coyer did some good things in Denver... but when your squads have repeated breakdowns in marquee games at record-setting rates... it's a natural thing to be asked to move on.

People just can't get their heads around the idea that change is a normal part of coaching. ALL great coaches have been let go. It's just part of the cycle of football.

Guys don't stay in one place forever in the pros. It almost never happens.

As for 2005, we were lacking talent for sure, but the defensive breakdown we watched in that championship game went way beyond lacking player, imo.

I wish Coyer the best. Like all coaches, he'll have highs and lows. It's part of the game.

I agree, I wish Coyer had some clout in the war room and maybe we would have gotten the defensive parts in that 2006 draft, we had a boatload of draft picks. IF we made the right selection, we probably would have made another run at the Super Bowl.

kappys
10-04-2010, 03:04 AM

He was also the last DC that got any sort of real chance to create a defense. I thought he did pretty well with the players we had. We simply couldn't draft or sign a D-lineman worth anything to build with. How much input he had in those is difficult to say - but if it was a lot then I think he deserved his pink slip. Unfortunately after that Shanny lost it - totally refusing to accept we needed a rebuild and running off talented DC's until we were stuck with Slowik.

bowtown
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm in the camp of where if the Broncos had given Jim Bates more than half a season to work on the defense, we would have been fine.

You should ask Tampa Bay how that worked out.

bowtown
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree, I wish Coyer had some clout in the war room and maybe we would have gotten the defensive parts in that 2006 draft, we had a boatload of draft picks. IF we made the right selection, we probably would have made another run at the Super Bowl.

Coyer was the one who slobbered all over Ian Gold.

SoCalBronco
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Coyer was the one who slobbered all over Ian Gold.

Nobody's perfect. While it strained even the outermost boundaries of credulity to bring Ian back, Larry Coyer was a damn good DC for this team on the whole.

Natedogg
10-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm in the camp of where if the Broncos had given Jim Bates more than half a season to work on the defense, we would have been fine.

Firing Ray Rhodes was the beginning of the end.

10-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I can't sleep. I'm still haunted by images of Tim Jennings covering Marques Colston, Phillip Wheeler and Clint Session converging to tackle each other and miss Pierre Thomas, Raheem Brock impersonating a DE and Keyunta Dawson impersonating a football player in general.

More than anything, though, I'm haunted by the fact that this man...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/1062/slideshow_106206/display_image.jpg

...is a worthless sack of ****.

Let's start with the obvious. He looks like your grandfather who made his great escape from some second-rate nursing home by way of oncoming traffic. Police probably found him halfway between a rest stop and the nearest McDonald's, dehydrated and convinced he was headed to the rally point at Oradour-sur-Glane. Basically, he looks like the last guy in the world you want to entrust a Super Bowl defense to. I honestly don't even know if I'd lend him a green crayon for fear that he'd eat it, **** it out, rub it in his hair, shave his head and mail the trimmings back to me in a Power Rangers lunchbox.

Let me pause for a second and bring this guy into the equation:

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/01/17/PH2008011703654.jpg

Ron Meeks looks like a pirate. He looks like a BAMF who just doesn't give a damn. He would probably bend your great aunt's corpse over your next Thanksgiving meal and announce "gravy's ready" once he finished her off. Is he the most talented coordinator in the world? No. But you can't realistically expect a pirate to sit back and play Cover-2 all day. Pirates are aggressive by nature. They only want to rape and pillage and reminisce about past rapes and pillagings over lethal amounts of rum.

Meeks = badass pirate.
Coyer = probably just shat his pants.

Looking the part is half the job, you know.

Beyond the appearance, though, Coyer is a worthless sack of **** because he sucks at his job as well. All week long, we heard how Coyer's defense was an attacking defense. How they forced the issue, didn't let the offense dictate the tempo of the game. The mentality Ron Meeks knows well: ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! KILL KILL rapepillagechug KILL!

For two measly drives of the game, we got that defense. They pressed. They blitzed. They grabbed receivers by their scrotums and flung them to the ground. Beat us deep, they said. We dare you! Try connecting on a go route with Gary Brackett's fist in your soul! It was beautiful. It was effective. It was everything we could have hoped for.

And then the Colts got a 10-point lead.

The transformation began...

http://www.englisch.schule.de/wiesmoor/farnsworth.jpg

Larry Coyer turned into mother****ing Farnsworth. Sagging tits and all, the fat flabby cookie crumble bastard.

A 10-point lead, apparently, is cause to sink back into a soft zone. Which wouldn't be a problem...if it was like a 20-point lead. And Dwight Freeney was healthy. And anyone else on the DL was worth a good goddamn. And Drew Brees wasn't the opposing QB. And he wasn't throwing to Marques Colston, Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush. And Tim Jennings wasn't lined up against receivers twice his height. And your defense showed some encouraging signs of grasping this whole difficult "tackling" concept at some point in the game.

So basically, it was a problem.

Farnsworth played with his glasses and picked at a century-old scab during most of the second and third quarter, daring Brees to connect on impossible 8 and 10-yard passes to wide-open receivers. Tim Jennings on Marques Colston? Why the Prussian-lynching hell not? Farnsworth would take that matchup any day of the week! ****, at one point, in between spitting out chunks of bran cereal back into his bowl due to the hysterics induced by his favorite comic - The Family Circus (arguably he should have had some sort of tendency chart out, but **** that!) - he had half a mind to call up a midget he'd met at a USO show back in the day. Titan, his name was, before irony was hip. He could throw him on Tim Jennings' back and they could skip down the field in glee, charging at Marques Colston from 20 yards away. Jennings could throw Titan at the receiver and then proceed to spear the son-of-a-bitch. To his credit, it was Farnsworth's most genius idea all night.

Back to the game, though, even Farnsworth noticed at some point that Brees was only taking two and three-step drops and firing it in to wide-open receivers.

(Somewhere, Colts nation collectively began to remember the 2008 playoff exit in San Francisco, where Meeks' defense did the...exact...same...damn...thing.)

And it occurred to him that...well, actually it didn't. Nothing occurred to him, as was evidenced by the fact that the only adjustment he made was shifting his flaccid, wrinkly **** from the left side to the right. Press coverage? A FIRST QUARTER FAD! Blitzes? POPPYCOCK! Tackling? TOMFOOLERY! Gameplan? FAMILY ****ING CIRCUS!

So here's to you, Larry Coyer, you worthless sack of ****. Thanks for predicating a whole season on an aggressive style of defense and totally shriveling your collective balls when it mattered most. I mean, why go with what got you there? Why press? Why blitz? It makes too much sense! The far better route, obviously, was to do exactly what got Ron Meeks fired in the first place, sitting on a 10-point lead. Ten ****ing points! Seriously! Vince Young, the quarterback equivalent to Larry Coyer's Super Bowl gameplan, could have put up eight goddamn TDs against that soft zone. Hell, I could have. I could have hit paraplegic, non-smoke monster John Locke for 20 yards before the linebackers even had a chance to whiff. I could have literally tripped over my own python-sized dick into the endzone and Jacob Lacey would have been sitting too far back to even make me flinch.

Is any of this helped by the fact that Captain Twitter and Robin (I'm now calling Robert Mathis Robin because he's just a sidekick and nothing more) only managed a tackle each? Surely not. But if you knew pressure was going to be limited, why the hell would you just give them automatic completions on 2-3 step drops? Mix it the **** up. Man. Zone. Press. Soft. Whatever. Anything besides the tailtuck your worthless ass managed. Maybe, if you press, they beat you a couple times downfield. It's not like you weren't giving up touchdown drives anyway. Besides, if you're aggressive, you significantly increases your chances at getting a turnover. You know, like you did all season. Like your defense is supposedly predicated on. Following me, Farnsworth? No. You're not. Because your retarded ass commanded a soft goddamn zone all day, and Brees hardly broke a sweat tossing it across the middle and watching the Lollipop Guild of NFL linebackers show why beards and dreads don't make you a better football player, but the ability to wrap up and tackle does.

Larry Farnsworth, you worthless sack of ****, I have to call you out because Colts fans everywhere formed a collective lynch mob when Captain Meeks pulled the same shenanigans during the last playoff exit. OFF WITH HIS HEAD, they screamed. Yet I get this strange feeling that nobody will call you out for the same thing. No, worse than the same thing. Because Captain Meeks was just a shill in the armada, a cog playing his part and running the defense as he was told. You were actually given some freedom, some opportunities to get creative, and you managed to do that basically until the only game anyone plays for all season. And then you collectively bitch-slapped Colts nation by rolling out the defense we chased away last year. Honestly, you husky-sized ****, I would rather have seen Meeks' typically soft defense out there screwing up exactly how I expected it to screw up instead of witnessing your season-long cocktease of a Cover-2 hybrid. At least Meeks' defense never gave me a rodney. No homo.

So, on behalf of all the Colts fans who are too timid or white-loving to say it, let me be the first to say:

**** you, Larry Coyer. You worthless sack of ****.

Mediator12
10-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Any fan who thinks the scheme and playcalling are the problem with INDY's defense is looking for an easy excuse. Indy's defense is playing terrible for several reasons:

1. Awful execution.
2. Awful Tackling.
3. Terrible Coverage technique errors.
4. Poor team hustle.

They are flat out not getting it done. No one is leading the team, no one is making plays. Defense is about being physical, being fast, and being smart. Right now, Indy's defense is None of the above.

Now, does the blame rest with the DC? He is surely in charge of that mess. What is hard to watch is the lack of effort the Colts defense is known. They usually gang tackle and swarm to the ball. I have no idea why they are playing so timid.

TonyR
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
And now that they've lost Melvin Bullitt for the year they're in even more trouble...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5650578

Tombstone RJ
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
wow, indy fans are truly classless...