PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts about the Titans game

Kaylore
10-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Huge win. I thought it was over in the third but our defense kept us alive. Major props to Wink, who is really improving over the year as a play caller.
Nate Jones is still terrible.
I was ready to throw garbage on Priefer's lawn, but his unit rebounded with a big return by DT and the fumble.
The running game was awful, but that was a combination of the Titans D-line and Maroney dancing. Our offensive line was owned pretty much the whole game.
In spite of being owned in the run, we scored as many passing TD's in one game as Ten has given up all year. Orton looks like Tom Brady circa '02.
Major props to Royal, Lloyd, DT and Gaffney for saving this game.
There is a trend I'm noticing. More and more elite defenses are having their D-lines just guess the snap count. The Vikings do this too. I was thinking about it, and it's only a five yard penalty and they only call it a third of the time. Makes sense, especially at home.
Titans made mistakes that gave us an opportunity to win. They make fewer mistakes and we lose this game.
I love Cassius Vaugn.

Overall a huge win. Like I said before if we can split the next two and be 3-3 by week 6, we have a shot to make the playoffs.

SoCalBronco
10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
1. Tons of heart from Orton despite the OL getting ass raped all day.

2. I don't want to see Maroney on this team, anymore. The 4th rounder we traded away >>>> him. I'm hoping for Moreno back but even if he isn't ready next week, we need to go with ANYONE else.

3. Lloyd is really benefitting from this system and Royal has definitely adjusted to this offense. Gaffney has taken a step back, but he's still contributing from time to time (and drawing the PI was great). I was hoping to see some more Bay Bay in the passing game, but they tried to pick on that rookie corner from UCLA (who's not bad).

4. We're eventually going to have the same issue with Thomas returning kicks as we did with Royal in the beginning...that is, they are too valuable to be doing it, even though he really did some great things in that area, today.

5. OL is complete **** at this point. I was really disappointed with Clady in particular. He gave up at least one sack and mayble more and got called twice. A little setback from him. I was surprised that the run game didn't improve with Harris's return. It actually got worse although some of that is on Maroney. IMO, start Beadles at LG.

6. DL finally did a nice job tying up blockers and it was nice to see Bannan as well as Williams active in the backfield. Marcus actually flashed for once, too. Real nice job vs. the run for this unit. Alot of credit to them.

7. DJ with another very good game in holding CJ under wraps in the pass game (sure tackles after short gains) and also the run game. 10 tackles and a sack and would have a had a PD if Haggan didn't have that dumb penalty. He's really a great player and I hope peopole will start appreciating him now. Ayers really turned it on after a slow start, I believe the kid had 2 TFL, both of them at oppurtune times, too. Good work, Robert. Nothing much from Haggan this game, or Hunter/Moss, though. That's going to be a problem all year. Pass defense should improve a little when we get Woodyard back.

8. I hope Bailey is healthy, I thought he had a very good game, got some poor calls against him. Really impressed with most of Cox's work, too. He did a real nice job for a rookie.

9. Dawkins=Studly. He really brought it in the second half. I thought Hill was decent, too.

10. I'm really impressed by Josh's passing game. It's a great system....even average players can thrive in it. By contrast, the run game is totally atrocious. I really don't know what it is at this point...obviously it seems that most of it is on the line. I suspect alot of that is Walton. He's trying hard, but he's an undersized rookie and is probably getting owned by DT's, which affects the rest of the line. Daniels is ****, too and the tackles are still not all the way back. Not sure how we are going to cure this problem.

Great win for the team. If we can split the next two at home against very good opponents, we'll be 3-3 going into the London game which we SHOULD win and then the schedule will get easier.

_Oro_
10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Imagine if McD had cut Vaughn over Al Smith. Here's to nepotism!

broncoblue
10-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Thought....................yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Broncos_OTM
10-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Imagine if McD had cut Vaughn over Al Smith. Here's to nepotism!

i hate to say it but Alphonso Smith has two ints this year already

TonyR
10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
[LIST]
Titans made mistakes that gave us an opportunity to win. They make fewer mistakes and we lose this game.

This can be said of most NFL games every week.

The Joker
10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Agreed about Martindale.

We took CJ completely out of the game today. Imagine if we had Dumervil in there to pressure the QB.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
The way CBS' crew was all over the Titans nuts all game with how great they are, I'm shocked the Broncos didn't lose by 20.

Kaylore
10-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree on Morony. However I do think the offensive line faced the most physical D-line they've seen all year on the road and likely will not face one this tough for some time.

Also, missed this thread so plz merge mine with it. Thnx. :approve:

Kaylore
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
The way CBS' crew was all over the Titans nuts all game with how great they are, I'm shocked the Broncos didn't lose by 20.

I don't usually like griping about analysts hating on us, but I did notice this. It was like there was verbal disappointment at the outcome.

Mogulseeker
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Walton is looking decent, but I'd really rather see Beadles at LG over Daniels.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree with everything except Walton isnt all that undersized. Dude is 300 lbs.

CEH
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
The end result was great but I would have kicked a FG to bring it to 20-19 and let our D get the ball back which they did

Not a real big fan of going for it on 4th and 3
This was not the Indy Colts were were playing.

Running game maybe set an 40 year low.

lostknight
10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
[LIST]
Huge win. I thought it was over in the third but our defense kept us alive. Major props to Wink, who is really improving over the year as a play caller.

Yes. I was a critic of the decision to get rid of Nolan, but Wink has stepped up well. However, the proof in the pudding will be the Broncos second half defense. Our second half schedule is a hell of a lot better, but the defense collapses have been epic - and I believe much more due to conditioning then anything else.

The running game was awful, but that was a combination of the Titans D-line and Maroney dancing. Our offensive line was owned pretty much the whole game.

As horrific as Buckhalter was earlier in the season, he showed up late in the game when we really really needed it.

Mad props to Orton too - he did carry this team - the first time ever, and I didn't think he could - and showed up when it was needed. Royal is finally being used well. DT is still to inconsistant with his routes to be a huge asset. Gaffney had trouble all game.

There is a trend I'm noticing. More and more elite defenses are having their D-lines just guess the snap count. The Vikings do this too. I was thinking about it, and it's only a five yard penalty and they only call it a third of the time. Makes sense, especially at home.

Yep.

I love Cassius Vaugn.

Hell yes.

Overall a huge win. Like I said before if we can split the next two and be 3-3 by week 6, we have a shot to make the playoffs.

We needed this game. I called it a "must win" before hand, and despite the fact that it was messy and evil,it was a win, and therefore legit.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't usually like griping about analysts hating on us, but I did notice this. It was like there was verbal disappointment at the outcome.

haha this is funny, because i wanted to ask about this. I was watching in a sports bar with no sound, but it seemed like every close call that went in the broncos favor was replayed 600 times (and i was assuming they were claiming it should have gone the other way (CJs fumble..where you could never see the ball), orton's sneak on 4th, Gaffneys fade route). Did i assume correct?

NYBronco
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Great job on Wink's part to shutdown CJ and allow VY to try and win the game for the Titan's.

I liked the 4th and 3 call and making the Titan's take the long field to try and put the game away.

Titan's D is fast.

SoCalBronco
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with everything except Walton isnt all that undersized. Dude is 300 lbs.

He doesn't seem to have a ton of functional strength, though, but to be fair, he's young and playing against guys 8-10 years older than him.

Kid A
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
haha this is funny, because i wanted to ask about this. I was watching in a sports bar with no sound, but it seemed like every close call that went in the broncos favor was replayed 600 times (and i was assuming they were claiming it should have gone the other way (CJs fumble..where you could never see the ball), orton's sneak on 4th, Gaffneys fade route). Did i assume correct?

Actually they seemed to agree there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the Orton first down. And they were vocal in saying they thought Gaffney's catch was good and called correctly.

lostknight
10-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Honestly, we were outplayed for huge chunks of that game, and still came out on top. It's a feeling that I think the Patriots crowd are very familar with.

Popps
10-03-2010, 01:57 PM

I agree. It's usually pretty unbiased, but they were certainly stroking the home team today.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Actually they seemed to agree there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the Orton first down. And they were vocal in saying they thought Gaffney's catch was good and called correctly.

I guess i assumed wrong:)

SonOfLe-loLang
10-03-2010, 01:59 PM
He doesn't seem to have a ton of functional strength, though, but to be fair, he's young and playing against guys 8-10 years older than him.

I agree there. And, as you implied, i bet that will improve with time. Not saying he'll be all pro, but experience will help

WolfpackGuy
10-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Even short, slow, blind squirrels find a nut or two.

brncs_fan
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
My thoughts...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/johncraig0880/GIFS/funny_new_13.gif

go_broncos
Great win today..Defense is improving.Orton is our offense..
We need to improve our running game..Otherwise, we will be an average team.

BroncoLifer
Chris Johnson - 53 yards on 19 carries. MAJOR props to the defense.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Honestly, we were outplayed for huge chunks of that game, and still came out on top. It's a feeling that I think the Patriots crowd are very familar with.

We were outplayed for the 1st quarter.

We out played them in the 2nd quarter. Roughly tied them in the 3rd quarter and outplayed them in the 4th quarter.

Epic fail on your part.

And btw, this isnt the first time Orton put the team on his back. He did it last year against New England as well.

Chris
10-03-2010, 02:08 PM
How did we adjust after the first quarter to shut down VY in the passing game? He was lighting it up and then it just stopped... more blitzing? changing up the coverage on scaife? what?

gtown
10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I was gonna repost the same random thoughts I had a few weeks ago, but I have to say the team is coming together.

- The DL is gelling and I think Vickerson could be a key contributor.
- Orton and the WRs look good - and I think that alone can get us to mediocre.
- Run offense is attrocious - but what can you do with rookie OLs up the middle and injured RBs.
- STs have been special.

go_broncos
10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Hillis rushed more than 100 yards..If Mcd had not traded hillis, our team would be unbeatable.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
-- Great job by the defense. It should continue to get better.

-- Maroney's mom should have signed him up for soccer. I never want to see him again.

-- McD really needs to learn the value of a field goal.

-- Eddie Royal has found his calling in the slot

-- Timeout at end of first half was moronic on multiple levels

-- Something scares me about Bey-Bey being a returner (although he was awesome and I would pee a little if I was a 200-pound guy on the opposing coverage unit)

TonyR
10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Great win today..

I wouldn't have guessed you feel this way after all the nonsense you posted in the game thread...

cutthemdown
Sort of a lucky win but still Broncos defense played so much better then I thought they would.

I agree a run game this bad has to be a combo of rb stinking and oline not blocking well. Throw in a coach who refuses to lose running the ball and you get the picture.

Baba Booey
-I'd like to see Andre Brown get at least a shot at running the ball if Moreno can't go next week. He really can't be any worse than Maroney.
-Beadles at LG next week, please. I think Clady was exposed a little bit today because Daniels was so terrible.
-Orton, just wow.
-Our WR group continues to impress.
-Can't say enough about the defense keeping CJ in check. Magnificient job.
-Wink make some great calls in this game, including that Dawkins blitz late that caused Young to just throw it away.
-Ayers looks awesome. Terrific against the run. It's going to be awesome to see what he can do when teams have to focus on Doom.
-Prater comes through again. Pray that he keeps it up.
-Cox is playing pretty well for a rookie. He obviously shouldn't be the #2 guy right now but with Goodman hurt it's not a bad compromise. He'll be very good one day.
-Vaughn is the man. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some PT on defense. He can't be much worse than Jones.

go_broncos
10-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't have guessed you feel this way after all the nonsense you posted in the game thread...

I want this team to win..But, i feel frustrated when we can't run the ball..
You just can't throw the ball 50 times and expect the team to win.

WolfpackGuy
10-03-2010, 02:16 PM
They're really going to have to pick it up the next couple weeks.

You can't just flop around with teams and hope to come out on top with any consistency.

Popps
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Bruton actually made the hit on the KO coverage that caused the fumble. It was a pretty heads-up play.

I hope he's O.K.. We have enough trouble on ST's.

gyldenlove
10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Robert Ayers - You can say what you want about Orton having a huge game, but nobody was better than Ayers today, he is a one man army against the pass and run. How many other players make so many plays at the line against Chris Johnson?

Defensive front - Very stout against the run, looking better every single week, still lacking the rush a bit, but Dumervil will make a world of difference.

Offensive line - Stanley Daniels is making Clady play bad, Clady on several of his bad plays today starts out inside because he has to help Daniels and then someone is able to run by on the outside. Daniels also looked very confused by stunts, not a good day for him. Kuper was good today, I would say the only offensive lineman who was. The run blocking is pathetic.

WRs - I think it was Wilcox who said that Orton's favourite reciever is the open one, that seems true. Royal and Lloyd have both taken their games to the next level and Gaffney is doing a lot of little things to help the other two get open. Thomas was covered well today and his limited route tree means he can't be used on all plays, but it will come to him.

Orton - Gotta talk about the man, 1411 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs for 4 games. That puts him on pace for:

5644 yards, 24 TDs and 12 INTs.

This also marks his 4th game this year with a passer rating of more than 89. He is leaving mushroom bruises all over this league.

Maroney - He needs to go, he can not run forward, he runs sideways, he jumps and he stops when he sees people. He can't catch the ball reliably and he looks like he has no confidence.

Nate Jones - Had a prime view of several mistakes today, on the TD return he looked like he stopped running and just watched the returner go by instead of trying for the tackle.

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Nate Jones is still terrible.
I was ready to throw garbage on Priefer's lawn, but his unit rebounded with a big return by DT and the fumble.
In spite of being owned in the run, we scored as many passing TD's in one game as Ten has given up all year. Orton looks like Tom Brady circa '02.
I love Cassius Vaugn.

Please. Not this crap again. C'mn man, that's a major insult to a Bronco team that made their share of mistakes but still won by six on the road, including giving up a 98-yd TD kickoff return.

mkporter
10-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Positives
-Ton of credit to Wink today. Held the Titans to 13 points, and CJ was a non-factor. Really settled down nicely after the first quarter.
-Nice game by Josh today too. After the run game was getting killed, he switched to some RB screens which were pretty effective. I don't mind the 4th and 3 call. You kick a field goal, and you still have to get the ball back and put a drive together, and there's no guarantee that you are getting it back.
-Robert Ayers = Bad A$$.
-Dawkins came up big time today, wolverine style. Good to see after he'd been pretty quiet so far this season.
-DJ looked really good again today. He just looks really fast right now, and he is not missing tackles.
-DT as a KO returner was sweet. He is scary fast. Still stunning to see how fast he gets up to speed.
-Really like Royal in the slot.

Negatives:
-Run game. Duh.
-O-line. Also duh.
-ST has done something every game to really hurt us. The play at the end by Bruton and Vaughn kept me from starting www.firemikepreifernow.com.

Overall, a great win. Gutsy play. Feeling good today!

TonyR
10-03-2010, 02:24 PM
...i feel frustrated when we can't run the ball..

I can't disagree with you there.

SoCalBronco
10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
-DJ looked really good again today. He just looks really fast right now, and he is not missing tackles.

http://ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/godzilla.jpg

:homer:

TonyR
10-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Sort of a lucky win...

I'm not sure why so many feel this way. Why lucky? You have to make more plays than your opponent, and make fewer mistakes. We did that. If we don't give up that kick return TD it may have even been a more comfortable win.

oubronco
10-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I agree on Morony. However I do think the offensive line faced the most physical D-line they've seen all year on the road and likely will not face one this tough for some time.

Ravens?

ColoradoDarin
10-03-2010, 02:27 PM
-- Great job by the defense. It should continue to get better.

-- Maroney's mom should have signed him up for soccer. I never want to see him again.

-- McD really needs to learn the value of a field goal.

-- Eddie Royal has found his calling in the slot

-- Something scares me about Bey-Bey being a returner (although he was awesome and I would pee a little if I was a 200-pound guy on the opposing coverage unit)

I think McD wanted to yell at the refs - was there any explanation about the non-grounding call on Vince Young at the end of the first half?

mhgaffney
10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
A few observations:

Daniel at LG was abused -- which is one reason Maroney ran for negative yards most of the day.

Denver's offense is one dimensional. Orton feels pressure when there isn't any. Is this why he has no touch on his screen passes? Yes, probably. He did connect on one screen today for a long gain. But mostly he under throws. No touch. Without a running game -- without a good screen -- we are one dimensional.

Too many short passing plays. I like using D. Thomas for kick offs -- it gets him used to handling the ball and making plays. He made a big one today. But where is the long pass? Orton should be throwing deep to Thomas. He has the blazing speed to get open.

The D played very well. Ayers is coming on strong.

We needed Hillis today. We need a workhorse up the middle -- and we don't have one. Giving away Hillis for Quinn will haunt us all season.

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 02:30 PM

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4259/winic.jpg

cutthemdown
10-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure why so many feel this way. Why lucky? You have to make more plays than your opponent, and make fewer mistakes. We did that. If we don't give up that kick return TD it may have even been a more comfortable win.

Because of everything you say it's only sort of. Which implies that it was some breaks, and some great 4th quarter play etc etc.

Rausch 2.0
10-03-2010, 02:32 PM

rofl!

cutthemdown
10-03-2010, 02:32 PM
It's not ok that we can't run the ball. If people think you can win consistently running ball this bad then you haven't watched football for very long.

Kaylore
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Hillis wouldn't have done anything today with the run blocking. And his crappy pass pro would have gotten Orton killed. You need to get over it: HILLIS IS GONE. HE WILL NEVER BE A BRONCO AGAIN. YIUR b****ING ABOUT EVERY THREAD ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING. GET OVER IT.

ColoradoDarin
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Offensive line - Stanley Daniels is making Clady play bad, Clady on several of his bad plays today starts out inside because he has to help Daniels and then someone is able to run by on the outside. Daniels also looked very confused by stunts, not a good day for him. Kuper was good today, I would say the only offensive lineman who was. The run blocking is pathetic.

One play that I saw called holding on Clady was he went inside to help Daniels, and that defender grabbed and yanked Clady's arm when he tried to slide back out to block the defender coming out there, should have been offsetting penalties.

theAPAOps5
10-03-2010, 02:35 PM

But not in Denver. They would be TD's for the other team! Move on.

Taco John
10-03-2010, 02:36 PM
This game was excruciating, but ended with elation!

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Josh chooses to leave points on the board. I thought the game was over there in the fourth quarter when we came away with another red zone defeat. It was agonizing. Mad props to the defense and to Kyle Orton for keeping hope alive and fighting for every inch!

go_broncos

you just can't win games by throwing the ball that many times.
Today we won..but, it is not the way you play this game.
We didn't even rush for 30 yards. We just can't win games by passing the ball that many times.

TonyR
It's not ok that we can't run the ball.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this. Huge problem that has to be fixed. On the positive side think how good this team can be if we can put together any semblance of a running game. Take some pressure off of Orton and keep the D off the field longer. It has to improve a little bit, right? Please tell me I'm right!

Popps
10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hillis wouldn't have done anything today with the run blocking. And his crappy pass pro would have gotten Orton killed. You need to get over it: HILLIS IS GONE. HE WILL NEVER BE A BRONCO AGAIN. YIUR b****ING ABOUT EVERY THREAD ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING. GET OVER IT.

If he stops bitching... he has no life left.

Then what.

theAPAOps5
10-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Preach it brother

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Dude is a lunkhead.

TonyR
10-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Hillis wouldn't have done anything today with the run blocking.

Amazing that people actually think Hillis would make much of a difference. We've had 3 backs show that there's nowhere to run but it would somehow be different for Hillis?

Taco John
10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Hmmm... I can see that people want to talk about Hillis in this thread.

In that case, I think he'd be the best back on our roster if we had him, and maybe instead of running shotgun on 3rd and 1 we could, oh, I don't know, line up in a power formation and pound the ball.

baja

No shiit, I thought Jeff Fisher's parents were calling the game.

mkporter
One play that I saw called holding on Clady was he went inside to help Daniels, and that defender grabbed and yanked Clady's arm when he tried to slide back out to block the defender coming out there, should have been offsetting penalties.

I saw that too. Sneaky play by the d-lineman

broncocalijohn
10-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Daniels way over matched today.
Dawkins was the savior on D in the second half and turned it on when needed.
Thank God for Orton. Everyone knew he was throwing and had only one INT and a few bad decisions while throwing.
OL has lost it. Not sure what has happened to Clady. Since his rookie season, he has lost some game.
We have the correct Brandon now.
Thomas is looking pretty good at the return game that no one really saw coming.
Special teams coverage sucks again this year. Is it time for the ST coach to go?
DLine did a great job at stopping the run.

Paladin

Comparison: The Titans' C is 305. Yeah. JD is undersized. Stupid.....

baja

Are you kidding the will see more of the same the next two weeks.

Taco John
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
No shiit, I thought Jeff Fisher's parents were calling the game.

Solmoron Wilcotts is the WORST!

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM

I can't believe it took 30 posts for somebody to point this out, and I'm shocked nobody else has really commented on it.

There was absolutely zero reason to call that time out and not bleed the clock. Beyond moronic. I mean, football 101. It was disgusting. Basic clock management.

Josh McDaniels can sometimes get the brunt of fans' frustration and at times it really isn't warranted. But on this specific sequence of events, he deserves all the blame. So retarded.

epicSocialism4tw
10-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Its good for business if a team led by Vince Young and Chris Johnson is successful.

baja
Chris Johnson - 53 yards on 19 carries. MAJOR props to the defense.

This!

We did a hell of a job on CJ. I love that the Broncos can tackle again props to DJ Dock and #99

theAPAOps5
Solmoron Wilcotts is the WORST!

My wife thinks I say they are always calling against the Broncos. Today she made the comment how horridly biased they were. Jesus they found ways to turn positive things the Broncos did and talk about the Titans.

sgbfan
10-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow, Orton had about 15 more yards passing than the teams total yards. And the D did awesome after the first quarter. 2 FG's, one of which is on McD for calling a Time out (and the refs for not calling intentional grounding). Take away the 2 big rushes... Special teams needs to do better on kck coverage, but Vaughn shows up again HUGE.

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/10/500x_custom_1286130111138_ceciluse.jpg

mkporter
10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/10/500x_custom_1286130111138_ceciluse.jpg

The Hawaiian peace sign! A classic call..

TheChamp24
10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Our OL was horrible, especially Daniels. Dude has been terrible all year, it amazes me he is still starting.
Why did we call timeout with 28 seconds left in the 1st half? Make the Titans call a timeout, or wind the clock down. That almost bit us in the ass and cost us the game, enabled Titans to get a field goal.
Which also amazes me they didn't call Young for grounding on that one play before the half.
Maroney is too slow and dances. When he was decisive he made some nice cuts for 4-6 yards.

Great comeback win, really needed it.

Natedogg
10-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I can't believe it took 30 posts for somebody to point this out, and I'm shocked nobody else has really commented on it.

There was absolutely zero reason to call that time out and not bleed the clock. Beyond moronic. I mean, football 101. It was disgusting. Basic clock management.

Josh McDaniels can sometimes get the brunt of fans' frustration and at times it really isn't warranted. But on this specific sequence of events, he deserves all the blame. So retarded.

What happened?? I guess I missed it.

baja
10-03-2010, 03:05 PM
-I'd like to see Andre Brown get at least a shot at running the ball if Moreno can't go next week. He really can't be any worse than Maroney.
-Beadles at LG next week, please. I think Clady was exposed a little bit today because Daniels was so terrible.
-Orton, just wow.
-Our WR group continues to impress.
-Wink make some great calls in this game, including that Dawkins blitz late that caused Young to just throw it away.
-Ayers looks awesome. Terrific against the run. It's going to be awesome to see what he can do when teams have to focus on Doom.
-Prater comes through again. Pray that he keeps it up.
-Cox is playing pretty well for a rookie. He obviously shouldn't be the #2 guy right now but with Goodman hurt it's not a bad compromise. He'll be very good one day.
-Vaughn is the man. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some PT on defense. He can't be much worse than Jones.

I agree with all of this

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I agree. Denver took it to 'em, turnovers were even at 1-1, I don't see the reasoning behind saying "Denver was lucky", or "the Titans made too many mistakes".

I bet the Titan players and coaches are saying, 'they beat us, sonofabitch, I didn't think they could, but they did."

And Tenn had the 98 yd kickoff TD return that could have been a backbreaker, but Denver came back and won by six. I love it.

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2010, 03:08 PM
What happened?? I guess I missed it.

We got stopped on 3rd down near the end of the first half. With 28 seconds left, we inexplicably call a time out. They get the ball back, quickly get into FG range, and kick a FG. We should have either (1) made them call the time out or (2) bled down and kicked our FG as time expired.

WolfpackGuy
10-03-2010, 03:09 PM
We got stopped on 3rd down near the end of the first half. With 28 seconds left, we inexplicably call a time out. They get the ball back, quickly get into FG range, and kick a FG. We should have either (1) made them call the time out or (2) bled down and kicked our FG as time expired.

Yeah, that was straight out of the Andy Reid school of clock mismanagement.

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Re: luck

It's never luck if you shut down one of the best players in the entire NFL. We shut Chris Johnson down, period.

Now that kick off at the end, that play was a nice break for us, you might say that was a lucky play, but otherwise I don't see why we'd label this as an overall lucky win.

baja
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Robert Ayers - You can say what you want about Orton having a huge game, but nobody was better than Ayers today, he is a one man army against the pass and run. How many other players make so many plays at the line against Chris Johnson?

Defensive front - Very stout against the run, looking better every single week, still lacking the rush a bit, but Dumervil will make a world of difference.

WRs - I think it was Wilcox who said that Orton's favourite reciever is the open one, that seems true. Royal and Lloyd have both taken their games to the next level and Gaffney is doing a lot of little things to help the other two get open. Thomas was covered well today and his limited route tree means he can't be used on all plays, but it will come to him.

Orton - Gotta talk about the man, 1411 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs for 4 games. That puts him on pace for:

5644 yards, 24 TDs and 12 INTs.

This also marks his 4th game this year with a passer rating of more than 89. He is leaving mushroom bruises all over this league.

Maroney - He needs to go, he can not run forward, he runs sideways, he jumps and he stops when he sees people. He can't catch the ball reliably and he looks like he has no confidence.

Nate Jones - Had a prime view of several mistakes today, on the TD return he looked like he stopped running and just watched the returner go by instead of trying for the tackle.

I don't know who had the worse game Daniels or Jones or Maroney but I'm going with Maroney. Bone head play of the day Maroney trying for extra yards and almost losing the ball when we were trying to just run out the clock.

epicSocialism4tw
10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Re: luck

It's never luck if you shut down one of the best players in the entire NFL. We shut Chris Johnson down, period.

Now that kick off at the end, that play was a nice break for us, you might say that was a lucky play, but otherwise I don't see why we'd label this as an overall lucky win.

Chris Johnson is not the best player in the NFL. Peyton Manning is. Then maybe Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers...I dont know if I'd say that Johnson is better than Adrian Peterson.

Johnson had a great year, but one year does not make him the best player in the NFL.

Manning and Brady have been doing that for a decade. Johnson has a long way to go.

Natedogg
10-03-2010, 03:14 PM

thx. i guess i was too angry yelling at the announcers.

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Because of everything you say it's only sort of. Which implies that it was some breaks, and some great 4th quarter play etc etc.

That was a sweet victory on the road. Outscoring the home team 10-0 in the 4th Q, good stuff.

Natedogg
10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
By the way. The Mike Bell v Ryan Torrain show is going on. (Eagles v Skins)

Gcver2ver3
10-03-2010, 03:18 PM
pleasantly surprised at our run D...esp on the road against arguably the best run offense in the game...

with that said, i'm equally shocked at how awful our run game is....wow...

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Chris Johnson is not the best player in the NFL. Peyton Manning is. Then maybe Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers...I dont know if I'd say that Johnson is better than Adrian Peterson.

Johnson had a great year, but one year does not make him the best player in the NFL.

Manning and Brady have been doing that for a decade. Johnson has a long way to go.

I don't want to split hairs. I didn't say he was the best, but one of the best. I think that's true. I don't disagree with your statements regarding Manning, etc. I think we'd agree he's either the best or 2nd best (with respects to Peterson) running back in the league. He's a Top 5 RB at least, and we shut him down. There's no luck in that.

KipCorrington25
10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Solomon Wilcots must be on the Titans' pay roll.

The most unprofesional of which was the Johnson fumble where he was so sure he was down although with the angle they showed you would have to be able to see through two players backs to know for sure.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 03:23 PM
CJ Right now is the best RB in the game. Peterson is a stud but he fumbles WAY too much and CJ did just break off 2K last year.

Few is the RB that has done that.

epicSocialism4tw
10-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't want to split hairs. I didn't say he was the best, but one of the best. I think that's true. I don't disagree with your statements regarding Manning, etc. I think we'd agree he's either the best or 2nd best (with respects to Peterson) running back in the league. He's a Top 5 RB at least, and we shut him down. There's no luck in that.

Agreed on all counts.

That credit belongs to the front 7. Its nice having players who can hold their gaps and let the LB's clean up the mess. Ayers and DJ are both having quality seasons. Having Bannan, Williams, and big 99 should really help in that department. Dawkins is a monster in the run game as well.

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 03:24 PM
This game was excruciating, but ended with elation!

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Josh chooses to leave points on the board. I thought the game was over there in the fourth quarter when we came away with another red zone defeat. It was agonizing. Mad props to the defense and to Kyle Orton for keeping hope alive and fighting for every inch!

Josh is a bigtime risk-taker, that's for sure. The players probably love it.

jutang
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
After seeing Maroney get killed behind the line of scrimmage, I have new found appreciation for Moreno. At least he makes the first guy miss... definitely not as talented when seeing how Chris Johnson gets 4 yrds out of nothing... but not too shabby either when watching our abortion of an O-line during run plays.

enjolras
10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
You know.. it just occurred to me how much this game looked like the Jacksonville game. We had the same physical troubles, but with one key difference. Special teams was a positive. We had decent field position thanks to a couple of really nice kick returns. We didn't make the stupid mistakes, instead Tennessee did. If I was a Titans fan, I'd feel just sick about this... the same way we felt after week 1.

It's the little things, and today our guys did those.

enjolras
10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Josh is a bigtime risk-taker, that's for sure. The players probably love it.

In this case I thought it was exactly the right thing to do. You're down 4 points, and if you don't make it the other team has a long field with your defense playing pretty well. It's simple math, your going to either take the lead or give your defense the chance to force an out (with the other team likely going very conservative given some turnover issues with their QB).

We didn't make it, but the defense held and the Broncos ended up with outstanding field position to try and win it. To me, you go for it every single time in that situation.

Some of the insanity from last week I'll never understand, but today... it was the right call.

long beach bronco
10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
are there any good free agents runners out there still? If so, we need one really bad. Good win.

TotallyScrewed
10-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I love Cassius Vaugn.

Prater had a great kick. That ball just dropped out of the air. Mariani was in deep trouble trying to field that ball and the timing of the hit by ?????? was awesome. Great recovery. Praters' field goal iced the game...no OT with a FG.

oubronco
10-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Prater had a great kick. That ball just dropped out of the air. Mariani was in deep trouble trying to field that ball and the timing of the hit by ?????? was awesome. Great recovery. Praters' field goal iced the game...no OT with a FG.

Bruton

orange skier
10-03-2010, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=gyldenlove;2957139]

Our guys are just having a really tough time with the power blocking thing..........they're given responsibility on a play to beat one particular guy.....and if the guy is in a stunt, they get confused, and lose the battle.....zone blocking is soooooo much more simple.....just take the guy in your zone, and push him......the traps and the pulls just aren't working........just can't get too excited about power blocking.

]

gyldenlove
10-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Solomon Wilcots must be on the Titans' pay roll.

The most unprofesional of which was the Johnson fumble where he was so sure he was down although with the angle they showed you would have to be able to see through two players backs to know for sure.

I know, that was hilarious how he claimed to be able to see what was going on, on the other side of 2 players.

ICON
10-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I was getting so annoyed on plays where I swear the Titans were offsides and it was not called.

The Titans were punching and kicking in the pile all day someone took off Kups helmet then another came up and hit him up side the head.

Vaughn was exceptional on special teams today.

The D Holding Johnson to 53 yards on 19 carries is very impressive for.^5

Orton has the second most yards in the first 4 games in NFL history.

Broncos win a tough game on the road the Titans played a dirty, cheap game Fck them and the blind ass zebras.........

TotallyScrewed
10-03-2010, 04:00 PM
-
-

While I agree with everything in your post I had to reply to these two...

I am extremely impressed, surprised and elated with the Denver defense. I was totally expecting CJ to run wild this game. I had visions of him reaching the corner and just destroying. Each week the defense is getting better and showing us some damn fine coaching.

The final play of the game just sealed a great game by Wink. He almost bated Young into running the ball. He was playing a serious head game with him...awesome!

mkporter
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I was getting so annoyed on plays where I swear the Titans were offsides and it was not called.

The Titans were punching and kicking in the pile all day someone took off Kups helmet then another came up and hit him up side the head.

Vaughn was exceptional on special teams today.

The D Holding Johnson to 53 yards on 19 carries is very impressive for.^5

Orton has the second most yards in the first 4 games in NFL history.

Broncos win a tough game on the road the Titans played a dirty, cheap game Fck them and the blind ass zebras.........

I'm sure that you have very interesting things to say, but I can't stop staring at your avatar.

Steve Sewell
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Hillis rushed more than 100 yards..If Mcd had not traded hillis, our team would be unbeatable.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

elsid13
10-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I would say that we were lucky due to the pass interference call, if the corner hadn't got lazy then call might not happen and we all be bitching about the lack of the running game, poor pass protection (six sacks) and failure in the red zone. As good as some of the things the team did today contain Johnson, getting the all the wide receivers involved, Orton's play there are some big problems. We need to get better at getting after the QB and running ball.

This is one of those game you say thank god we won, but there a lot of tape to watch and areas to improve on.

oubronco
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I would say that we were lucky due to the pass interference call, if the corner hadn't got lazy then call might not happen and we all be b****ing about the lack of the running game, poor pass protection (six sacks) and failure in the red zone. As good as some of the things the team did today contain Johnson, getting the all the wide receivers involved, Orton's play there are some big problems. We need to get better at getting after the QB and running ball.

This is one of those game you say thank god we won, but there a lot of tape to watch and areas to improve on.

There always is

TonyR
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM

I understand but when I hear "lucky to win" I also hear "didn't deserve to win". I think the team did some good things to win this game against a good team on the road. To say they were "lucky" implies they don't deserve any credit. Yes the running game in particular is a huge issue but the fact that we won in spite of the problems speaks even more for the efforts elsewhere.

oubronco
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I can't believe there are so many poeple biitching because we won

gyldenlove
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I understand but when I hear "lucky to win" I also hear "didn't deserve to win". I think the team did some good things to win this game against a good team on the road. To say they were "lucky" implies they don't deserve any credit. Yes the running game in particular is a huge issue but the fact that we won in spite of the problems speaks even more for the efforts elsewhere.

I think looking over all 60 minutes it was a deserved win. We got outplayed and outschemed in the 1st quarter, got lucky on a missed FG and a fumble to keep is tied.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters all belonged to us, the Titans had half of their total yards in the 1st quarter, and less than 50 offensive yards in the entire 2nd half, you do not deserve to win games with those numbers. We had 7 trips in the red zone, they had 3, there was nothing undeserved about the win, but it was lucky.

Unfortunately we are going to struggly mightily in the red zone until that run game gets just a little on track, which means when Moreno returns.

WolfpackGuy
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Orton puts 5 more yards on that pass and Gaffney has an easy TD.

The underthrow let Hope get back in the play because Gaff was by him.

Archer81
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I can't believe there are so many poeple biitching because we won

Its to be expected.

We lose and we get the X-10 over last blah games blah blah blah.

We win and we were "lucky, fortunate, blind chicken finding corn".

It almost seems that some people prefer we run it 40 times for 150 yards but still lose. I dont quite get that mindset.

:Broncos:

elsid13
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I don't see it that way, but any time when outcome of a game depends on a ref's call in waning minutes, then I think there is some "luck" involved. Areas of the teams played real well, but I am looking for a little less excitement in the 4th qtr.

BroncoInferno
10-03-2010, 05:00 PM

You're a dumbass.

baja
10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I would say that we were lucky due to the pass interference call, if the corner hadn't got lazy then call might not happen and we all be b****ing about the lack of the running game, poor pass protection (six sacks) and failure in the red zone. As good as some of the things the team did today contain Johnson, getting the all the wide receivers involved, Orton's play there are some big problems. We need to get better at getting after the QB and running ball.

I don't disagree with your post but the 6 sacks should be with a caveat. They had their ears pinned back and were teeing off on Orton all game long they rotated their line and just kept coming. Orton beat them by making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball fast. He played a hell of a game decision wise. Wait until we get Moreno back and the line gets some time together.

NYBronco
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
If I were the Titans I would be more concerned with their product. After all they shutdown probably the worst rushing team in the league, ran the ball themselves fairly well, their quick and aggressive defense got 6 sacks and multiple pressures and all this at home. Denver played well.

elsid13
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't disagree with your post but the 6 sacks should be with a caveat. They had their ears pinned back and were teeing off on Orton all game long they rotated their line and just kept coming. Orton beat them by making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball fast. He played a hell of a game decision wise. Wait until we get Moreno back and the line gets some time together.

Orton had very very good game, but I am concerned with the scheme that our line is running. Most of the time the Titans came with only the 4 down linemen on stunts, which with the folks we have on the line shouldn't have been a problem. Walton needs to improve on the line calls or Orton is going to get killed.

Rausch 2.0
10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Damn, this site closes its doors early...

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Well, somehow or another Denver made fools of the Titans at home, despite giving up a 98-yd kickoff return for a TD, six sacks, and an INT. I say it was Denver that won, not that the Titans lost. I say Denver showed intestinal fortitude galore, never gave up, never panicked, just steadily made plays and won by six on the road. Outscored the home team 10-0 in the 4th Q.

Cito Pelon
10-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I agree with this. It's just plain silly the number of times I've seen that word "lucky".

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Maybe, but considering he was scrambling and had to hurry up and chuck it and didn't really get a chance to get set, that was a damn good throw AND when you think about it, the way it worked out was beneficial to us as it allowed us to take more time off the clock.

Old Dude
10-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Dawkins also deserves some props for his game yesterday. Easy to take guys like that for granted until they're gone.

CEH
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Dawkins also deserves some props for his game yesterday. Easy to take guys like that for granted until they're gone.

He was great. They must have had some game film on Young becuase he wasn't bitting at all on VY play fakes and was right in his face several times

Awesome game by BDawk

We are just an average running game away from doing so good things. Maybe not elite by def upper half if we just don't get Orton killed in the process like Cutler last night.

The next two games could be Orton's football wake

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

WTF is it with this prevailing take on the Mane? Daniels had a better game than Kuper and Walton. Watch the game again if you don't believe me.

Tombstone RJ
10-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Walton didn't look good...

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM

I posted about this in another thread... but Tennesse did this routinely on stunts. They briefly held the OT with the DE as he stunts inside. This gave the inside-out stunt a free run. It's defensive holding, and it was never called.

snowspot66
10-04-2010, 09:37 AM
you just can't win games by throwing the ball that many times.
Today we won..but, it is not the way you play this game.
We didn't even rush for 30 yards. We just can't win games by passing the ball that many times.

The game is changing. It's a passing league.

Also, don't forget that we've used screens and short high % passes to augment the run game. To say we threw it 50 times is not exactly telling the whole story.

TheChamp24
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
WTF is it with this prevailing take on the Mane? Daniels had a better game than Kuper and Walton. Watch the game again if you don't believe me.

So you're okay with having your OG get blown up and pancaked 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage(Daniels has had this happen twice now) where the RB has nowhere to go due to a DT right in his face when he gets the handoff.
Walton and Kuper might not have played well, but Daniels has played like horse ****.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
So you're okay with having your OG get blown up and pancaked 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage(Daniels has had this happen twice now) where the RB has nowhere to go due to a DT right in his face when he gets the handoff.
Walton and Kuper might not have played well, but Daniels has played like horse ****.

Site specifically where this happened. I'll give you a hint: it didn't. You know how I know? I went back and watched every single play by every single offensive lineman. But don't let that stop you from spewing retarded shiat all over the place.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
...if we just don't get Orton killed in the process like Cutler last night.

Yup, Orton got hit 11 times according to the game stats. That's too many, need to clean that up along with the running game. B-more isn't going to make improvements here easy.

TheChamp24
10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Site specifically where this happened. I'll give you a hint: it didn't. You know how I know? I went back and watched every single play by every single offensive lineman. But don't let that stop you from spewing retarded shiat all over the place.

Well, I remember in the Seattle game that play happened and then this past game, the DL blew past him, and he had to resort to "holding" which was not called because the DL tackled Maroney in the backfield due to Daniels not able to block him at the point of attack.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I remember in the Seattle game that play happened and then this past game, the DL blew past him, and he had to resort to "holding" which was not called because the DL tackled Maroney in the backfield due to Daniels not able to block him at the point of attack.

So he didn't win every snap? That's the benchmark?

Go back and watch every play for every lineman, and see how Daniels shakes out. He had a better game than both Kuper and Walton. Yet he gets the ire for all the faults of the running game. He even get's blamed for Clady's struggles. The line as a whole struggled with several issues. It certainly wasn't just Daniels.

footstepsfrom#27
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
By contrast, the run game is totally atrocious. I really don't know what it is at this point...obviously it seems that most of it is on the line. I suspect alot of that is Walton. He's trying hard, but he's an undersized rookie and is probably getting owned by DT's, which affects the rest of the line. Daniels is ****, too and the tackles are still not all the way back. Not sure how we are going to cure this problem.
Walton's 305 right? That's not undersized for a center. I have no doubt youth and inexperience combined with injuries are the issue here, which leads me to believe that there's a possibility they get better as people get more experienced or healthier. Right now we're in for several more games of depending on the passing game at least IMO.

TonyR
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Rushing defense
A+
The Titans were dominant, limiting Denver to 19 yards on 20 carries. LB Stephen Tulloch had 12 tackles, and the Titans had a mind-boggling 11 tackles for loss, including two each by DE Dave Ball, DT Jason Jones, CB Cortland Finnegan and DE Jason Babin. Quarterback Kyle Orton led the Broncos in rushing with 11 yards as primary backs Laurence Maroney (11 carries for 5 yards) and Correll Buckhalter (seven for 3) were shut down completely.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101003/SPORTS01/101003018/2162/Titans+report+card++D+s+for+offense

Rohirrim
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Walton's 305 right? That's not undersized for a center. I have no doubt youth and inexperience combined with injuries are the issue here, which leads me to believe that there's a possibility they get better as people get more experienced or healthier. Right now we're in for several more games of depending on the passing game at least IMO.

Well, they're going to get a whole bunch of experience these next two games (Ratbirds/Jets). If we can split them it's a victory.

~Crash~
10-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Bruton actually made the hit on the KO coverage that caused the fumble. It was a pretty heads-up play.

I hope he's O.K.. We have enough trouble on ST's.

yep Bruton is our best ST's player . and IMO a starter in the wings at SS

~Crash~
10-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I think people need to understand that the Oline will get better each game Harris missed what 13 games so he might take a couple games . Clady is still not completely there even though he is close .

~Crash~
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
And as to Walton . hell he is getting thew into the fire . should he start probably not but he is doing not half bad . He is going up against the Defensive Coordinators of opposing teams . Walton is doing not half bad if you think about how teams are going to attack us.