PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos need to make grade in a hurry

Bronco Rob
10-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Paige: Broncos need to make grade in a hurry

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/03/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. If Santiago the Cuban fisherman was the old man and the sea, Josh the Broncos coach is the young man and the C-minus.

Santiago had not caught a fish on the water in 84 days. Josh has not won a game on the road in 299 days (Dec. 6, 2009).

Santiago believed he could be "destroyed but not defeated." Josh has been defeated but stands firm that he will not be destroyed.

Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, 389 teams have begun the regular season 0-4 or 1-3, and only 30 (7.7 percent) have reached the postseason.

Josh McDaniels must land a big one today.

A C-minus will not get it done against the Titans here in Music City.

On the flight from Denver on Saturday, I asked four other members of the media and five orange-and-predominantly-blue supporters to become professors and give the Broncos grades (A-F; pluses and minuses accepted; grading on the curve not) after two losses in three games.

The consensus of the 10 report cards (mine included) had the wide receivers receiving the highest grades (A-plus) and the running backs the lowest (F-minus).

Judge along at home.

Wide receivers: A-plus. The 4 Centaurs (half man, half horse) have been exceptional with 58 receptions, 854 yards and four touchdowns. The new Brandon is Lloyd with 14 catches for 339 yards (24.2 yards per). With Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney (189 yards), Eddie Royal (186) and No. 1 draft pick Demaryius Thomas (140), the Broncos may have their most proficient quartet in history. Brandon Marshall has 22 catches for 290 yards and one TD for Miami.

Running backs: F-minus. The Broncos struggled to run last season, struggled in the exhibition season and struggle so far this regular season. "Failure" was the unanimous (nonpassing) grade. Knowshon Moreno can't stay healthy, just as he couldn't stay healthy at Georgia. The Broncos are averaging 2.5 yards per run, last in the league. Peyton Hillis has 220 yards rushing (5.6 per) with 86 receiving. Ryan Torain has carried seven times for 46 yards (6.6).

Quarterback: B. Kyle Orton is off to his best statistical start with 1,078 yards (and 66.4 percent completion rate), four touchdowns, two interceptions and a 97.4 QB rating. McDaniels says a quarterback has to be graded on third- and fourth-down completions, success in the red zone and victories. Orton is not off to a spectacular start in those three critical areas. Jay Cutler has thrown for 870 yards (65.9), six touchdowns, two interceptions and a 109.7 QB rating. Chicago is undefeated.

Tight end: C. Daniel Graham has seven catches for 51 yards (zero touchdowns) with a couple of drops and is, as usual, an outstanding blocker. Richard Quinn is not playing. Tony Scheffler has 14 catches for 108 yards and one touchdown for Detroit.

Offensive linemen: C-minus. The Broncos finally will be at full strength for the first time against Tennessee. The running game problems also must be blamed on the line, and the unit has allowed five sacks. The unit has to improve to be mediocre. Four former Broncos starters are playing for other teams.

Defensive linemen: D. The line has not dominated. The six linemen have participated in 24 tackles, but not one ranks in the top 10 among Broncos tacklers. The line has no sacks, no fumble recoveries, no penetration. Not much here to be excited about. Trevor Pryce was cut by the Ravens, claimed by the Jets.

Linebackers: C. D.J. Williams and Robert Ayers are playing OK Ayers has been credited with 1 1/2 sacks, Williams 1/2 but not at an all-pro level. No other linebacker has a sack. None of the linebackers has picked a pass, and Jarvis Moss has disappeared again.

Secondary: C-minus. The Broncos have been hurt (three of the four starters injured to some extent) and humiliated for seven touchdown passes in three games. Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins and Perrish Cox have picks (the Broncos' only turnovers). The backs made the Jaguars' David Garrard a star. He has since been benched.

Special teams: C. Kicker Matt Prater (4-of-4) and punter "Great" Britton Colquitt (47.3 yards) have been special, but not the kick or punt return teams on either side. Cox had a terrible fumble last week and was pushed aside.

Coaching: C-minus. McDaniels, who really is the offensive coordinator, has made serious mistakes in play-calling. Wink Martindale's defensive game plan against the Colts was superb, but he must share in the responsibility of two losses, when the Broncos have scored only 61 points while permitting 65. And Mike Priefer is not earning his keep. Who? He's the special- teams coach.

The Broncos are below average overall at C-minus.

Santiago, at least, got an "A" for effort. "I think the great DiMaggio would be proud of me." He finally caught a marlin. But it was eaten by the sharks. If the Broncos don't improve fast, they will be too.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16238823

tsiguy96
10-03-2010, 06:17 AM
paige is such a weiner. hes so obsessed with former broncos, hes blind to this team. no, this team isnt perfect, no one said they are, but talk about a stupid amount of negativity towards mcdaniels and the current roster, its crazy.

Bigdawg26
10-03-2010, 06:30 AM
1.) Why is he comparing old players who are in completely different schemes before and now to our players? 2.) How can you give Kyle Orton a B? I'm not a real Kyle Orton fan, but you gotta give him an A. He's playing lights out! 3.) Robert Ayers and DJ Williams are playing a pro bowl levels (DJ always plays at a pro level but something always stops him. I swear he should have made it like twice already), and Champ and Goodman are playing awesome!

LRtagger
10-03-2010, 06:35 AM
I like how he mentions Torain as if he has been some sort of all-pro because he had a productive game against the Rams (in a loss); that in the same breath as criticizing Moreno's health. How are Selvin Young, Michael Pittman, Tatum Bell, Andre Hall, PJ Pope, etc etc etc doing?

Hey Woody, why did you not mention any former players under LBs? For instance, we should consider former Bronco greats Jamie Winborn, Boss Bailey, Kouti, Nate the helmet Webster, etc.

Could do the same for former DLine who are such great players, apparently it would be unfair for them to play for another NFL team.

Woody is a joke.

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Defensive linemen: D. The line has not dominated. The six linemen have participated in 24 tackles, but not one ranks in the top 10 among Broncos tacklers. The line has no sacks, no fumble recoveries, no penetration. Not much here to be excited about. Trevor Pryce was cut by the Ravens, claimed by the Jets.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/homer_facepalm.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2eg8ugp.jpg

go_broncos
10-03-2010, 06:50 AM
1.) Why is he comparing old players who are in completely different schemes before and now to our players? 2.) How can you give Kyle Orton a B? I'm not a real Kyle Orton fan, but you gotta give him an A. He's playing lights out! 3.) Robert Ayers and DJ Williams are playing a pro bowl levels (DJ always plays at a pro level but something always stops him. I swear he should have made it like twice already), and Champ and Goodman are playing awesome!

I give Orton 'B' as he rushes his pases in Red Zone.

Mogulseeker
10-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Woody Paige = idiot.

I remember reading his articles in freaking 5th grade and thinking this guy knew nothing. Now its just pathetic.

Mogulseeker
10-03-2010, 07:09 AM
That said, it would have been nice if we got our hands on Pryce.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Ryan Torain! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WHAT? Did he seriously write that?

Broncoman13
10-03-2010, 07:17 AM
paige is such a weiner. hes so obsessed with former broncos, hes blind to this team. no, this team isnt perfect, no one said they are, but talk about a stupid amount of negativity towards mcdaniels and the current roster, its crazy.

Where was he wrong though? Yeah, adding names like Cutler, Hillis, Scheffler, and even Pryce were sure to cast a negative light over this article... but when you look at the position grades and the summaries, is he wrong?

Broncoman13
10-03-2010, 07:18 AM

Why isn't Josh McDaniels giving Kyle Orton an A? Same exact reasons... Not scoring, not converting enough 3rd downs, and not winning. McD said something along the same lines of Woody after last week's game.

strafen
10-03-2010, 07:20 AM
paige is such a weiner. hes so obsessed with former broncos, hes blind to this team. no, this team isnt perfect, no one said they are, but talk about a stupid amount of negativity towards mcdaniels and the current roster, its crazy.Sorry. Woody is spot on.
Will it make you feel better if he had blown hot air out of his ass to tell us how great of a team the Broncos are right now?
What did you really want him to say?
It is what it is...

Steve Sewell
10-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Paige was essentially trolling in his article. It was hilarious.

His analysis was at go_broncos' level of stupidity.

WolfpackGuy
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Wow, 7 passing TD's allowed in 3 games?

Bob's your Information Minister
10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Grading the Donks after 3 games is a waste of ink.

LRtagger
10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Where was he wrong though? Yeah, adding names like Cutler, Hillis, Scheffler, and even Pryce were sure to cast a negative light over this article... but when you look at the position grades and the summaries, is he wrong?

He is way off base on his Dline and LB grades.

You cant judge a 3-4 Dline by the statsheet. Their responsibility is to hold blockers at the POA and let the linebackers make plays. Our run defense is significantly improved from last year.

Because Ayers and DJ aren't playing at an all-pro level, it makes this unit a C? So if both of them were playing at all-pro levels, they would be what? A Bminus? Ayers, DJ, and Haggan are all playing very solid football. Hunter has stepped in and played well considering the circumstances. I would give them a B.

I believe we are 10th in run D in the league. MJD (top 5 back in the league) an for less than 100. The Colts and Hags didnt do anything on the ground. I would think it would take more than D grade defensive lineman and C grade linebackers to accomplish that.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Why isn't Josh McDaniels giving Kyle Orton an A? Same exact reasons... Not scoring, not converting enough 3rd downs, and not winning. McD said something along the same lines of Woody after last week's game.

Do you honestly believe that the red zone issues are solely Orton's fault? He's not getting much help down there.

Id give Orton an A. Id give the Running game an I though as it is just completely incomplete and not worth a grade.

peacepipe
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I have watched every game and woody paige is absolutely correct in this article.

Popps
10-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Again....

Paige = Mock with spellcheck.

Broncos_OTM
10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
That said, it would have been nice if we got our hands on Pryce.

Dude you just bagged on woody for not knowing anything.. then you come along with this sentence.

Broncos_OTM
10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Again....

Paige = Mock with spellcheck.

Does Woody use more then two fingers to type though..?

Broncos_OTM
10-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I have watched every game and woody paige is absolutely correct in this article.

I aggree with the grades. However the commentary is crap.. i think the only thing that saved the articles is the grades. and that was becaquse he had 9 other people write it.

Broncos_OTM
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM

You cant judge a 3-4 Dline by the statsheet. Their responsibility is to hold blockers at the POA and let the linebackers make plays. Our run defense is significantly improved from last year.

Because Ayers and DJ aren't playing at an all-pro level, it makes this unit a C? So if both of them were playing at all-pro levels, they would be what? A Bminus? Ayers, DJ, and Haggan are all playing very solid football. Hunter has stepped in and played well considering the circumstances. I would give them a B.

I believe we are 10th in run D in the league. MJD (top 5 back in the league) an for less than 100. The Colts and Hags didnt do anything on the ground. I would think it would take more than D grade defensive lineman and C grade linebackers to accomplish that.I am not sure and cannot tell what sort of D we are using ... one gap or two. If we are using two gaps dont expect many tackles one gap you should be seeing alittle more then we are.

LRtagger
10-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Paige is a genius. Our Dline and linebackers suck.

Popps
10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Is there anyone worse than Paige?

Honestly, he's sub-Bleacher Report at this point.

Bronco Rob
10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Ha!