PDA

View Full Version : John Elway''s take on Jay Cutler & Kyle Orton

baja
10-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Backfoot Jay was overdue to have wins bounce his way.

Everybody knows Backfoot Jay from the game Monday night. Jay Cutler not only threw pass after pass off his back foot, but off his backpedal dropback in the Chicago Bears' fortuitous win against the Green Bay Packers.

To think of all the guff Tim Tebow takes for his unusual throwing mechanics. Tebow's release is instructional-film- caliber next to Backfoot Jay's deliveries.

Cutler's fundamentals weren't that bad when he was playing for the Broncos from 2006-08, were they? They were never good he did throw off his back foot on occasion but he has seemingly regressed.

<b>"He obviously has confidence in his arm strength, but when you're throwing off your back foot, you lose half your accuracy," former Broncos quarterback John Elway said. "They're going to win some games like they did Monday night, but in the long run they're never going to be as good as they should be because, technique-wise, he won't set his feet and put the ball on the money."</b>
Cutler is exciting to watch, no doubt. His arm is strong enough that he often gets away with his sloppy deliveries.

And after eight consecutive nonwinning seasons, including college, maybe fate decided to cash in his breaks all in one season. Between the Calvin Johnson no-touchdown controversy in the opener, when the Lions appeared to have won the game, and Cutler's picks-that-weren't against the Packers, this has the makings of a magical Bears season.

That doesn't alter the fact this nation has hundreds of Turkey Bowl throwers who display better fundamentals than Cutler.

"You can't argue with 3-0," Elway said. "And as many bad plays as he makes, he still makes special plays that a lot of guys can't make."

During his 16-year playing career with the Broncos, Elway was a quarterback who could fling it like no one else, not even Jay Cutler. Know why? Because no quarterback ever put more legs, rump and body into his throws. Elway was the Nolan Ryan of NFL throwing mechanics and velocity.and body into his throws. Elway was the Nolan Ryan of NFL throwing mechanics and velocity.
But even though he's a former quarterback, Elway believes the Broncos' offense is way too pass-heavy. Kyle Orton and the Denver passing game rank first in the NFL, while the running game ranks last in yards per carry.

"Kyle's having a great year and doing a great job between the 20s," Elway said. "I think with the problems they've had in the red zone and with the running game, I think those two things go hand and hand. As that field gets more compact and there's less room to throw the football, that's where it's important for them to have the running game."

On Orton's play, Elway said: "We've talked about his second year under his belt with the system, but the other thing I look at, and what people don't realize, is how much he's answered the bell. They brought Brady Quinn in, and they draft Tebow in the first round, and Kyle's career was kind of in the fold there. He either had to buck up and come out and play better and compete and do what he's doing now, or go the other direction. I'm impressed with the way he's competed and put his mind to it."

On Broncos coach Josh McDaniels announcing this past week he would not use Tebow in short-yardage situations: "They did not bring Tim Tebow in here to be a short-yardage back. Everybody's anxious to see what he can do, but this is what Josh had in his plan.

"It takes a lot of time to add a system within the system trying to fit it to one guy. After they did it that first week when they had a few weeks to get a package in there for Tim, now that they're into the season, they don't have a lot of time to get those in."

Elway is promoting the Ultimate Fan Challenge, in which the winner gets to take three people to London to not only watch the Broncos take on the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 31, but watch the game with Elway and have dinner with him the night before.

"It's the fans who make the NFL, so I always look forward to getting to meet them and feeding their passion for the NFL," Elway said. "Hopefully, the winners are Broncos fans, but if not, we'll still have a great time."

Here's how it works: Take a picture worthy of winning an Ultimate Fan contest. The picture has to include a bottle or can of Pepsi Max. Send it to NFL.com/PEPSIMAX.

Imagine talking football with this guy over fish, chips and a pint of ale. I mean, Pepsi Max.

Michael Vick, QB, Eagles

What's up: Rushed for 103 yards off the bench in the opener, then threw for 575 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions in the next two wins. Plays against the Washington Redskins today in the hyped return of former Eagles QB Donovan McNabb.

Background: Vick is a former No. 1 pick who had four explosive seasons among his six years with the Atlanta Falcons. Passed for career-high 20 TDs in 2006, when he also became first QB in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. He then spent nearly two years in prison for funding a dogfighting ring and, upon his return to the NFL last year, played sparingly behind McNabb in Philly.

Klis' take: I'd say the Eagles got lucky to have the new and vastly improved Vick, but coach Andy Reid has been too good for too long to believe this was an accident. No one knew it at the time, but McNabb was a lame-duck QB last season.

ON THE HOT SEAT

Pressure mounts on Singletary

Who: Mike Singletary, coach, 49ers

When: 11 a.m. today at Atlanta

Why: The preseason consensus choice to win the NFC West, the 49ers are 0-3 with losses to Seattle and Kansas City by a combined 46 points. Singletary fired offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye this week, and deservedly so, because the talented 49ers' offense has badly misfired, ranking No. 31 with 12.7 points per game. But defense is Singletary's responsibility, and the 49ers are tied for last by allowing 29.0 points per game.

THREE UP

1. Steelers: How to go 3-0 without Big Ben? Defense ranks No. 1, allowing 11.0 points per game.

2. Chiefs: Throwback team: tied for No. 2 in points allowed (12.7); No. 1 in rushing (160.7).

3. Falcons: Outrushed the Saints 202-43 in the Superdome.

THREE DOWN

1. Redskins: Shanny's team ranks 32nd in total defense (423.7 yards per game).

2. Jaguars: David Garrard against Broncos: 3 TD, 0 INT, 138.9 rating. Garrard in next two games: 1 TD, 5 INT, 34.9 rating.

3. Giants: Rank No. 10 in total defense (306.0 yards) but No. 30 in scoring defense (28.3).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16238727

Bronco Rob
10-03-2010, 04:06 AM
ackfoot Jay was overdue to have wins bounce his way.

During his 16-year playing career with the Broncos, Elway was a quarterback who could fling it like no one else, not even Jay Cutler. Know why? Because no quarterback ever put more legs, rump and body into his throws. Elway was the Nolan Ryan of NFL throwing mechanics and velocity.

:afro:

bpc
10-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Jay's up in the top tier of passing despite the fact that he has hardly any time to throw the ball and really poor receivers to throw to. Him throwing off his back foot has to do more with him not having much time to throw vs. poor mechanics. Anybody with half a brain knows this. It's just the facts, like Chicago being 3-0 w/ Jay at QB.

I doubt they can keep this up though. Eventually Jay's going to have to step into one of these throws and one he does, he's probably going to break a finger because of their **** blocking and two, three or four guys in his face at all times.

TailgateNut
10-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Jay's up in the top tier of passing despite the fact that he has hardly any time to throw the ball and really poor receivers to throw to. Him throwing off his back foot has to do more with him not having much time to throw vs. poor mechanics. Anybody with half a brain knows this. It's just the facts, like Chicago being 3-0 w/ Jay at QB.

I doubt they can keep this up though. Eventually Jay's going to have to step into one of these throws and one he does, he's probably going to break a finger because of their **** blocking and two, three or four guys in his face at all times.

Does your wife know that "You're gay for Jay"?

baja
10-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Jay's up in the top tier of passing despite the fact that he has hardly any time to throw the ball and really poor receivers to throw to. Him throwing off his back foot has to do more with him not having much time to throw vs. poor mechanics. <b> Anybody with half a brain knows this.</b> It's just the facts, like Chicago being 3-0 w/ Jay at QB.

Is there a recommended way to lose half of your brain so as to understand this?

sixtimeseight
10-03-2010, 05:39 AM
but but but all the fat slobs on here told me that Jay Cutler is way better than Orton. those fat slobs know more than John Elway about being an NFL QB right?

bpc
10-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Baja, your MO is to post smear pieces on former players you don't like now and insinuate that they enjoy throwing off their back foot?

Let's just keep this real: This post is just more of the same stuff you're throwing out there to keep former players in the topics and less about your buddy McD who is failing out on the field right now. True or false? In that regard, I don't really blame you. This squad is about to be on the short-end of 1-5, 2-4 pretty quickly and you'll be pressed into action again in defense of McD.

I'm not even sure if Tebow can save him now.

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Him throwing off his back foot has to do more with him not having much time to throw vs. poor mechanics.

No one is forcing him to throw the ball dip ****. There are ways to avoid throwing the ball off your back foot... you think coaches will blame the oline for Jay Cutler throwing off his back foot? You think a coach should get pissed at the oline for Cutler throwing off his back foot? Maybe Shanahan did, and possibly that's what turned Cutler into who he is.

The only people not putting the blame on Cutler for throwing off his back foot is the fans.

It's a collective effort, if he isn't getting enough time then he should get rid of the ball faster. Coaches probably know this. There are also many situations where Cutler holds onto the ball too long, the rush comes through, and then he throws off his back foot.

As dumb as you are, you added +100 points of stupidity for taking the blame off Cutler for throwing off his back foot.

John Elway would probably bitch slap you.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/26/stfo.jpg

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Let me add,

Did you watch the Packers last year? Did you see their oline? IF you did, you wouldn't be saying the ignorant **** that you're producing right now.

Aaron Rodgers got sacked 50 times last year and Cutler got sacked 35 times.

That's a huge ****ing difference in case you were missing "the other half" of your brain.

Rodgers threw 7 ints, where as Cutler threw 26.

The year before, Cutler was sacked only 11 times and still managed to throw 18 ints.

I have found your location BPC...
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/welcome_to_fail_population_you.jpg

_Oro_
10-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Jaguars: David Garrard against Broncos: 3 TD, 0 INT, 138.9 rating. Garrard in next two games: 1 TD, 5 INT, 34.9 rating.

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Matt Hasselbeck

Against the Broncos:

20/35 1 TD 3 ints 233 yards 51.3 QB rating

Other two games:

37/55 390 yards 3 TDs 2 ints 90.7 QB rating

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/files/original/congratulations-idiot.gif

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Let me add,

Did you watch the Packers last year? Did you see their oline? IF you did, you wouldn't be saying the ignorant **** that you're producing right now.

Aaron Rodgers got sacked 50 times last year and Cutler got sacked 35 times.

That's a huge ****ing difference in case you were missing "the other half" of your brain.

Rodgers threw 7 ints, where as Cutler threw 26.

The year before, Cutler was sacked only 11 times and still managed to throw 18 ints.

I have found your location BPC...
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/welcome_to_fail_population_you.jpg

"But... but... but... half a brain... and... smear piece... you... stupidhead!"

_Oro_
10-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Matt Hasselbeck

Against the Broncos:

20/35 1 TD 3 ints 233 yards 51.3 QB rating

Other two games:

37/55 390 yards 3 TDs 2 ints 90.7 QB rating

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/files/original/congratulations-idiot.gif

An idiot because I posted a line in the article that caught my attention?

Isn't that a bit harsh?

The MVPlaya
10-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Isn't that a bit harsh?

Relax bruh, I didn't quote you.

:yayaya:

strafen
10-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Isn't that a bit harsh?Just ignore him.
He's more about insulting people and posting stupid gif that reveal his maturity level.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Baja, your MO is to post smear pieces on former players you don't like now and insinuate that they enjoy throwing off their back foot?

Let's just keep this real: This post is just more of the same stuff you're throwing out there to keep former players in the topics and less about your buddy McD who is failing out on the field right now. True or false? In that regard, I don't really blame you. This squad is about to be on the short-end of 1-5, 2-4 pretty quickly and you'll be pressed into action again in defense of McD.

Written as only a Bears fan would.

Broncoman13
10-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice thread Baja. To me mechanics aren't a big issue until they become a big issue. Cutler's mechanics last year were an issue. The year before in Denver they were an issue. The issue in Denver was that he did have time to set up properly and make the right throws. In Chicago last year he didn't have time to set up and still try to make the throws. The big difference this year which takes all the mechanics issues and makes them somewhat irrelevant is Cutler is making the right decisions. I've watched one full game and half of another. No change in his mechanics. No change in the old throw across your body and across the field (no-no), but the decisions have been much better. The only INT that I've watched him throw this year was a ball that seemed to get away from him. The receiver wasn't wide open, but he threw way high for an easy INT to the safety that had deep coverage. Mechanics played into this one... but they haven't hindered him on his way to throwing for 870 yards, 6 TDs and 2 INTs. And everyone seems to like to make the ultimate measuring stick the Ws and Ls and put them all on the QB.

Why is it so difficult for people to just admit that Cutler is a good QB. Quirky and I could care less for his arrogant attitude and whiney (Phillip Riversesque) pouting on the field. But when it comes to QBing, he is an elite talent. Josh McDaniels traded him away. So WHAT! That doesn't mean he has to be a bad player. I really laugh at those who stick up the little pictures that say "You suck" b/c someone thinks that Cutler is a good QB. Not everyone has Peyton Manning's mechanics... and there have been a ton of QBs that have proved over the years that you don't have to have those type mechanics to win in the NFL.

HAT
10-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Not everyone has Peyton Manning's mechanics... and there have been a ton of QBs that have proved over the years that you don't have to have those type mechanics to win in the NFL.

Something Jay has yet to do.....Bears have no chance at being a playoff team this year.

Broncoman13
10-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Something Jay has yet to do.....Bears have no chance at being a playoff team this year.

You want to make a bet on that one? Broncos Hat of the winner's choice.

HAT
10-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Yes please.

baja
10-03-2010, 07:35 AM

You are so right Chris why I even went so far as to bribe Kils to write the article.

Continue to shoot the messenger maybe you will kill them all soon

Lolad
10-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Neither has Kyle Orton or McDaniels for that matter

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Nice thread Baja. To me mechanics aren't a big issue until they become a big issue. Cutler's mechanics last year were an issue. The year before in Denver they were an issue. The issue in Denver was that he did have time to set up properly and make the right throws. In Chicago last year he didn't have time to set up and still try to make the throws. The big difference this year which takes all the mechanics issues and makes them somewhat irrelevant is Cutler is making the right decisions. I've watched one full game and half of another. No change in his mechanics. No change in the old throw across your body and across the field (no-no), but the decisions have been much better. The only INT that I've watched him throw this year was a ball that seemed to get away from him. The receiver wasn't wide open, but he threw way high for an easy INT to the safety that had deep coverage. Mechanics played into this one... but they haven't hindered him on his way to throwing for 870 yards, 6 TDs and 2 INTs. And everyone seems to like to make the ultimate measuring stick the Ws and Ls and put them all on the QB.

Why is it so difficult for people to just admit that Cutler is a good QB. Quirky and I could care less for his arrogant attitude and whiney (Phillip Riversesque) pouting on the field. But when it comes to QBing, he is an elite talent. Josh McDaniels traded him away. So WHAT! That doesn't mean he has to be a bad player. I really laugh at those who stick up the little pictures that say "You suck" b/c someone thinks that Cutler is a good QB. Not everyone has Peyton Manning's mechanics... and there have been a ton of QBs that have proved over the years that you don't have to have those type mechanics to win in the NFL.

Did you watch the Green Bay game by any chance? He made two AWFUL decisions and AWFUL throws on that drive. He lucked out that Green Bay made two awful decisions on those plays, so he got bailed out. But you can't tell me those two would-be interceptions were good quarterbacking.

HAT
10-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Neither has Kyle Orton or McDaniels for that matter

lol wut?

TonyR
10-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Redskins: Shanny's team ranks 32nd in total defense (423.7 yards per game).

LOL!!! The more things change...

HAT
10-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Bet confirmed I hope......Just out of curiosity, do you think the 3-0 Chiefs are playoff-bound as well? Hilarious!

tsiguy96
10-03-2010, 08:05 AM

can i get in on this too?

UberBroncoMan
10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
LOL!!! The more things change...

He never should have gone to a 3-4. He finally had a team with a good 4-3 line and he blows it up.

Drek
10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
You are so right Chris why I even went so far as to bribe Kils to write the article.

Continue to shoot the messenger maybe you will kill them all soon

How did you find a way to blackmail Elway into making disparaging remarks against the messiah as well?

In this thread:
BPC acts like he knows more about QB technique than JOHN ****ING ELWAY and claims everyone who disagrees is obviously short something greater than 50% of their brain.

elsid13
10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
He never should have gone to a 3-4. He finally had a team with a good 4-3 line and he blows it up.

Actually, the skins defense was never as good as some made it out to be. The yards given up are higher, but the points allowed per game (22) is exactly the same as last year, and turnover caused by the defense are up extreme high compared to last couple of year here in DC. They are struggling right now, but up can see improvement in the key stats of turnover and points allowed.

Drek
10-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Actually, the skins defense was never as good as some made it out to be. The yards given up are higher, but the points allowed per game (22) is exactly the same as last year, and turnover caused by the defense are up extreme high compared to last couple of year here in DC. They are struggling right now, but up can see improvement in the key stats of turnover and points allowed.

Turnovers have almost no year to year statistical relevance, except that top 5 teams in a given year tend to have an above average number (not even necessarily a league leading number).

Almost every year some team has an aberrantly high turnover number combined with a surprisingly solid defense despite being historically weak defensively. Their fans pound their chests, experts talk them up, and the next year that defense comes crashing back down to earth.

Case in point: The 2005 and 2006 Denver Broncos. Looked great while causing lots of turnovers in '05. Started '06 off with similar success. Then the luck ran out and the wheels fell off. Same guys on the field, not nearly the same production.

Hamrob
10-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Maybe it's just me...but, I don't see any controversy in Elway's statements. I thought he was complimentary of both Cutler and Orton. Saying that Cutler was throwing off his back foot is a fact. Mostly because the Packers (especially Mathews) were all over him in a heart-beat. Give Cutler the line he had in Denver and watch out.

Conversely, give Orton a running game and maybe we start to score more points?

Whatever the case, I don't think Elway was criticizing Cutler.

elsid13
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Turnovers have almost no year to year statistical relevance, except that top 5 teams in a given year tend to have an above average number (not even necessarily a league leading number).

Almost every year some team has an aberrantly high turnover number combined with a surprisingly solid defense despite being historically weak defensively. Their fans pound their chests, experts talk them up, and the next year that defense comes crashing back down to earth.

Case in point: The 2005 and 2006 Denver Broncos. Looked great while causing lots of turnovers in '05. Started '06 off with similar success. Then the luck ran out and the wheels fell off. Same guys on the field, not nearly the same production.

We are going to have to disagree on this. There are four factors, in order, I think make a good defense: Points allowed per game (17 is key number), a low 3rd down completion percent for its' opponents, yards allowed per rush (anything below 3.5 is good) and turnovers. If a defense is able to be good in those four categories on consistent basis you have good/great defense.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I dont know. I think Chicago is going to have to win their division. Dont know if they can steal that game in Green Bay and Im certain they wont beat Minny in Minny. Not that Im overly confident on Brett Favre or anything.

I dont think they can get a wildcard at 9-7 though and that's what it looks like. I think their only chance is to beat GB OR hope GB loses 1 more division game than they do.

JMO, but I wouldnt make the bet that they DONT make the playoffs either.

baja
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
How did you find a way to blackmail Elway into making disparaging remarks against the messiah as well?

In this thread:
BPC acts like he knows more about QB technique than JOHN ****ING ELWAY and claims everyone who disagrees is obviously short something greater than 50% of their brain.

John is addicted to my turkey sandwiches.

bpc
10-03-2010, 09:27 AM

In this thread:

I don't have a problem with Elway saying anything about Cutler. He's a HOF player, arguably the greatest QB of all time. His opinion should be respected. Breaking down what he said, he mentioned Jay should change from throwing off his back foot. Was this taken out of context, in context? Saying somebody should stop throwing off their back foot is easier said than done when Jay Cutler probably has the worst blocking OLine in the league, which can't protect their QB. Everybody has admitted this, even Martz.
I'm sure if John was asked WHY HE is throwing off his back foot, he would verify that's most of the reason.

That's hard for some to grasp on here but it's pretty basic football knowledge, something i'm sure John even pointed out in this interview. Kizla, or whatever DPO douche wrote this was merely half-quoting, throwing out some hate bait and ya'll bit. Color me not surprised. You don't have any McDaniels news to celebrate with our losing record, mounting busted draft-picks and FA signatures, so you go for the next best thing, throwing former players/coaches under the bus.... Cutler, Hillis, Shanahan, etc. Awesome, you guys rock.

baja
10-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't have a problem with Elway saying anything about Cutler. He's a HOF player, arguably the greatest QB of all time. His opinion should be respected. Breaking down what he said, he mentioned Jay should change from throwing off his back foot. Was this taken out of context, in context? Saying somebody should stop throwing off their back foot is easier said than done when Jay Cutler probably has the worst blocking OLine in the league, which can't protect their QB. Everybody has admitted this, even Martz.
I'm sure if John was asked WHY HE is throwing off his back foot, he would verify that's most of the reason.

That's hard for some to grasp on here but it's pretty basic football knowledge, something i'm sure John even pointed out in this interview. Kizla, or whatever DPO douche wrote this was merely half-quoting, throwing out some hate bait and ya'll bit. Color me not surprised. You don't have any McDaniels news to celebrate with our losing record, mounting busted draft-picks and FA signatures, so you go for the next best thing, throwing former players/coaches under the bus.... Cutler, Hillis, Shanahan, etc. Awesome, you guys rock.

<b>So why am I....</b>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc

Dagmar
10-03-2010, 09:56 AM

You are an absolute embarrassment for this post. I actually respect bob more!

bpc
10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
You are an absolute embarrassment for this post. I actually respect bob more!

Coming from the Rusty Trombone, i'll take that as a compliment. Respect coming from you is irrelevant.

sixtimeseight
10-03-2010, 02:46 PM
At least bcp or whatever is going to be gone for the next week, or until we lose again, whichever comes first.

Drek
10-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Of course. Klis must have taken the quote out of context. Its all a conspiracy.

And if it is entirely an OL thing then why is Elway saying Cutler needs to stop doing it? John played behind some pretty mediocre OLs. Orton played behind the exact same OL the year before Cutler. Neither of them had an issue with throwing off their back foot like Cutler does.

Drek
10-03-2010, 02:53 PM
We are going to have to disagree on this. There are four factors, in order, I think make a good defense: Points allowed per game (17 is key number), a low 3rd down completion percent for its' opponents, yards allowed per rush (anything below 3.5 is good) and turnovers. If a defense is able to be good in those four categories on consistent basis you have good/great defense.

I completely agree that turnovers are an essential aspect to having a dominant defense, but it is not a year to year consistent stat. Great defenses are constantly above average, but most teams turnover numbers are just short of totally random from year to year.

LRtagger
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Did anyone count the times Orton threw off his backfoot today? It had to have been at least a dozen with all the pressure in his face....since, you know, all QBs that get pressured resort to throwing off their back foot.