View Full Version : Broncos formulate strong ground game plan

Bronco Rob
10-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Broncos formulate strong ground game plan

Titans' goal: Run hard, be tough on defense
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/02/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

If attitude indeed affects your altitude, then Titans coach Jeff Fisher has his feet on the ground as he keeps reaching for the wins.

"Jeff has certainly done a great job creating an identity on that team, and that's the way that they play," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "It's a physical team that runs the ball very well — nobody has done it better the past so many years."

In these throw-it-around times, there are still some outposts where running the ball is the favored method on offense. And three of those teams — Tennessee, Baltimore and the New York Jets — are next in line for the Broncos.

They are three physical teams that believe in the power of power and who often, win or lose, leave a hangover in their wake. At the moment you could even toss the Raiders on the pile — the Broncos' opponent following the Jets — who are in the league's top five in both rushing and defense.

"There are teams in this league, you know after you play them," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "They play physical, they even warm up physical. You have to match that or it won't be fun."

In the wake of a season when his offense handed the ball to running back Eddie George 403 times on the way to a 13-3 finish in 2000, Fisher was asked what the solution was for a run-heavy offense when running the ball wasn't working.

Fisher, unblinking, said, "Run it harder."

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, whose quarterbacks handed the ball to running back Barry Foster 390 times in Cowher's first year with the team, was asked during that season when he would give Foster less work.

His reply: "When his arms fall off."

"Running teams have that attitude," George said. "They believe running the ball is important on offense, so they usually believe stopping the run on defense is important. You have to be physical to do those two things consistently, week to week, in a long season. That gives those teams a certain personality.

"When (the Titans) played the Ravens, you knew exactly what kind of game you were going to get."

And those are exactly the kind of games the Broncos are going to get in the near future, starting Sunday in Nashville.

The Titans have last year's rushing king in running back Chris Johnson and have thrown the ball fewer than 18 times in each of their two victories. Since the start of the 1999 season — their first in Nashville and their first as the Titans — opponents have won just 40.4 percent of their games the week following their game against the Titans.

Titans opponents — teams with bye weeks were not counted — were 6-7 last season in their games following the Titans, 4-10 in games following the Titans in 2008. In 2006, when the Titans finished 8-8 and out of the postseason, opponents were 0-12 in their games following the Titans.

The Ravens, the Broncos' opponent a week from Sunday, have the league's top-rated defense. Since the start of the 2000 season, the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl, opponents have won 49.6 percent of the games immediately after playing them.

That includes opponents going 6-9 last season in games the week immediately following the Ravens game, 4-9 in 2008.

The Jets finished the '09 season with the league's No. 1 defense and were No. 1 running the ball. Coach Rex Ryan spent much of the training camp appearances on HBO's "Hard Knocks" touting the benefits of a "ground-and-pound" offense.

"You want to play hard every week," Bailey said. "But those teams that want to come out and run it right at you, you have to stop them or they'll just keep coming at you. That's a long day, and too many long days make a long season."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16232026

Rock Chalk
10-02-2010, 05:40 AM
We are going to plan for CJ and get a heavy dose of VY.

Watch, Fisher is going to monkey wrench the whole game plan.

Hamrob
10-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Either way...the Titans are going to run, run, run the ball. Our best bet against teams like the Titans is to get up on them quick. We need to get out to a big lead fast...14-0, 17-3 etc. If we can get up on them and make some plays down the field too Lloyd, Thomas, Royal...we'll force them to play catch up...and eventually, they'll have no choice but to throw the football. That's the recipe to beating the Titans, Jets & Ravens!!!

TheReverend
10-02-2010, 07:40 AM
We are going to plan for CJ and get a heavy dose of VY.

Watch, Fisher is going to monkey wrench the whole game plan.

Every team game plans for CJ... it's not like he's been saving Vince to try and topple the mighty 2010 Broncos.

dsmoot
10-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Lets face it. We are facing another type of elite team vs last weeks opponent. It will be another revelation as to what capability our current mix of players and coaches have. It will be a great measuring stick. Ultimately, you have perform well against all types to reach the year end goal. Looking forward to seeing how we can shutdown or limit a premier back and perform with all the Orton hype against a very good defense. All on the road.

Dedhed
10-02-2010, 09:03 AM
We need to find the end zone early in this game to force the Titans out of being able to control the flow of the game by using their running game.

If we can contain CJ and Young as a rusher I think we'll be in good shape. I'll take our secondary against their WRs every day of the week.

baja
10-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Another interesting match up. I am going to be interested to see if we can slow down CJ & contain Young. The fast backs and mobile QBs are two areas that have given the recent Broncos teams fits. I am impressed with what Josh has put together in little over a year. The way we fair against the potent running game of Tenn. will be another very good barometer of how far along this team is. Big test for the front seven.

ICON
10-02-2010, 09:27 AM
When Vince Young plays bad teams he looks good, when he plays good teams they make him look like a chump. He started off pretty good vs Steelers and the Steelers adjusted, Denver most do like wise!I think of Vince in the Houston game, then I thought about Vince last year ...Vince no matter how bad, Can beat you in a close game Denver needs to take an early lead and stay on top.

Vince Young benched vs Steelers

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXibmIbUg5Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXibmIbUg5Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Watching that vid,Youngs game was not that bad. When he had time in the pocket he made the throws. He didnt carry the team but he wasent awful. The offense as a whole was bad.But the Steelers were fantastic and you have to give credit where credit is due.

ICON
10-02-2010, 09:55 AM
If Denver gets up early the Titans aren't built to keep up.

The field gets shorter and coverage gets tighter in the red zone. This doesn't impact running teams as much. If Denver gets the running game going we get the win. Denver can't abandon the run after the first few series.

Denver has struggled on kickoff coverage. The Titan's special teams looks like it could be one of the best in the NFL this year.

Titans D-Line has played great. This will be the strongest interior pressure faced by the Broncos so far. It will be the most interesting match up to watch. Because this is the key to everything. If the O-line gives Orton time, then he will find open receivers.

Broncoman13
10-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I feel pretty confident that we can stop there running game to the strong/play side. The cutbacks and plays that breakdown are what concern me. Hopefully they run away from Ayers and he keeps contain on the backside to prevent the cutbacks. Pretty confident that we can get him in the backfield before he gets going and if we do that we'll have a good day.

Steve Sewell
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I have a feeling that the Broncos are going to beat the Titan's pretty handily.

cutthemdown
10-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Either way...the Titans are going to run, run, run the ball. Our best bet against teams like the Titans is to get up on them quick. We need to get out to a big lead fast...14-0, 17-3 etc. If we can get up on them and make some plays down the field too Lloyd, Thomas, Royal...we'll force them to play catch up...and eventually, they'll have no choice but to throw the football. That's the recipe to beating the Titans, Jets & Ravens!!!

Wow what a genius plan. You mean that a good game vs Titans is to score the first 14 or 17 points. I was wondering against what type of team is that not the best plan for?

cutthemdown
10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a feeling that the Broncos are going to beat the Titan's pretty handily.

So our defense which has only a couple sacks, can't stop the run, gives up over 7 yrds per pass completion, is going to beat best ground game in NFL easily huh?

It would be nice but I see nothing in Broncos that tells me what you think.

cutthemdown
10-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I feel pretty confident that we can stop there running game to the strong/play side. The cutbacks and plays that breakdown are what concern me. Hopefully they run away from Ayers and he keeps contain on the backside to prevent the cutbacks. Pretty confident that we can get him in the backfield before he gets going and if we do that we'll have a good day.

Not one of our backers, safety's can match up with Chris Johnson. I see no way we stop him. In fact I think he might go for 150 yrds an 2-3 tds. He's that frigging good and our run defense isn't.

serious hops
10-02-2010, 02:00 PM

A few of the longer runs we've given up this year have been on plays where Hunter lost outside contain and allowed the cutback. Here's a guy that IIRC had never played OLB before we acquired him, and I think it's shown in some of the angles he takes. I have been pretty impressed with the way he uses his hands to shed-- I'm hoping he can clean up his containment responsibilities a little with more experience, which should benefit our run defense as a whole.

snowspot66
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
So our defense which has only a couple sacks, can't stop the run, gives up over 7 yrds per pass completion, is going to beat best ground game in NFL easily huh?

If I remember right last week we held a certain offense and QB in check pretty well. I'll take Manning and the Colts offense over the Titan offense any day of the week.

Popps
10-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Jesus, dude. Go have yourself a good ****ing cry.

Seriously.

myMind
10-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't worry...Terrel Davis will rush for 100+ yards, we can match CJ!

Hamrob
10-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow what a genius plan. You mean that a good game vs Titans is to score the first 14 or 17 points. I was wondering against what type of team is that not the best plan for?Wow girl...slow down. Yeah, I think the plan every week is to win the game. That doesn't always happen either.

To get up on the teams early, you need to go down the field and make some big plays early...you hit them before they figure out what you're trying to do. If I remember correctly, we used to be known for this...we just couldn't hold on in the end.

Since you're such an expert...why don't you add some useful insight to the conversation?

footstepsfrom#27
10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I wish when our players were interviewed on the subject of team's being physical and devoted to the running game, that they didn't talk about how they had to match them. I'd rather they were used to talking about other teams have to match up with what the Broncos are doing. This has been a finesse team for to long. I know it takes time to change but I think they at least need to have that attitude now.

go_broncos
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I wish when our players were interviewed on the subject of team's being physical and devoted to the running game, that they didn't talk about how they had to match them. I'd rather they were used to talking about other teams have to match up with what the Broncos are doing. This has been a finesse team for to long. I know it takes time to change but I think they at least need to have that attitude now.

Unfortunately, no one respects or fear Broncos.
Every one in Jacksonville said that the only winnable game within the first 5 for them is against Broncos.
In fact, they told that they measure jags team when they play against Indy, SD etc.
The same problem was there when shanny was coaching.We are just not a physical team.

cutthemdown
10-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Wow girl...slow down. Yeah, I think the plan every week is to win the game. That doesn't always happen either.

To get up on the teams early, you need to go down the field and make some big plays early...you hit them before they figure out what you're trying to do. If I remember correctly, we used to be known for this...we just couldn't hold on in the end.

Since you're such an expert...why don't you add some useful insight to the conversation?

LOL whatever. It's such a joke to say the gameplan should be to score a couple tds early and go up 14 points. When isn't that the gameplan?

Basically this game is a horrible matchup for the Broncos and I will tell you why.

Titans have a physical offensive line that can block our dline in both the passing game and the running game.

We have trouble with speedy players and there backfield is Chris Johnson and Vince Young. Probably the fastest combo in the NFL. Maybe Vick/McCoy but I doubt it.

Our defense is about the worst I have ever seen at rushing the passer. Without Doom we have maybe one guy, Ayers who can generate a rush. Problem is it only comes from 1 side at a time. Often in NFL to really pressure a qb you need 2 guys to get in there. QBS so mobile they can easily slide around to avoid 1 pass rusher.

The only chance for the Broncos to win this game is to stack the los and hope for the corner to be able to both play man to man. Force Vince Young to beat you with his arm ad maybe you get some turnovers.

To tell you the truth though even that won't work because the Broncos don't have the players at Safety to get it done. So really any safety they bring into the box probably not good enough to make enough plays in the run game to slow down Johnson.

I do think it's funny how upset people get because some of us fans on the board knew before yr started Broncos wouldn't be winning too many games this yr.

The only surprise of the season is how good the passing game is. Everything else about how I thought it would be.

cutthemdown
10-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Jesus, dude. Go have yourself a good ****ing cry.

Seriously.

I probably will tomorrow.

baja
10-03-2010, 04:29 AM
LOL whatever. It's such a joke to say the gameplan should be to score a couple tds early and go up 14 points. When isn't that the gameplan?

Basically this game is a horrible matchup for the Broncos and I will tell you why.

Titans have a physical offensive line that can block our dline in both the passing game and the running game.

We have trouble with speedy players and there backfield is Chris Johnson and Vince Young. Probably the fastest combo in the NFL. Maybe Vick/McCoy but I doubt it.

Our defense is about the worst I have ever seen at rushing the passer. Without Doom we have maybe one guy, Ayers who can generate a rush. Problem is it only comes from 1 side at a time. Often in NFL to really pressure a qb you need 2 guys to get in there. QBS so mobile they can easily slide around to avoid 1 pass rusher.

The only chance for the Broncos to win this game is to stack the los and hope for the corner to be able to both play man to man. Force Vince Young to beat you with his arm ad maybe you get some turnovers.

To tell you the truth though even that won't work because the Broncos don't have the players at Safety to get it done. So really any safety they bring into the box probably not good enough to make enough plays in the run game to slow down Johnson.

I do think it's funny how upset people get because some of us fans on the board knew before yr started Broncos wouldn't be winning too many games this yr.

<b>The only surprise of the season is how good the passing game is. Everything else about how I thought it would be.

You thought we would rank near last in rushing?

cutthemdown
10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
You thought we would rank near last in rushing?

No I didn't Baja. I figured it would be really average but it is almost impossible to anticipate it being this bad. So I did probably anticipate the run game being better, passing game not being so potent.

The fact they don't score a whole lot though was anticipated.

It's not like I don't think Broncos have some good things going. I just don't see them as contenders yet.

Still though I am up early, I am fired up, and I am ready to watch my Broncos kick some ass. Once gameday comes you have to believe anything can happen.