PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years Ago Today: Broncos Broke The World Record.

Bronco Rob
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Denver Broncos Fans Break World Record for 'Loudest Roar' Earns Mile High City Another Place in the record book...

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2000

Guinness World Records, the Denver Broncos, and their fans all teamed up on Sunday, October 1 to break the record for the world's "loudest roar." The crowd of over 76,000 rose to the occasion and rang up a reading of 128.7 decibels, breaking the previous record of 125.4 decibels set at a soccer game in Dublin, Ireland last year.

"We're very proud that our fans were able to come through and break this record," said Greg Carney, senior director of Marketing. "We've known throughout the years we have the best fans in professional sports and what better way to prove it than by breaking the world's record for "loudest roar."

Denver radio personality Steve Kelly of KOA-AM hosted the event at halftime, encouraging the crowd to get louder and louder during the ten-second-period in which Guinness was monitoring the sound levels in the stadium. Once the time had elapsed, Guinness World Records' Official Adjudicator Della Howes verified that the reading reached at Mile High Stadium had indeed broken the previous record. As the announcement was made on the DiamondVision screen, the capacity crowd erupted in celebration.

"We're excited that the City of Denver and Broncos fans were able to break this record," said Nancy Richards, marketing manager for Guinness World Records. "This is a great way to begin our series of record-breaking attempts across the United States in celebration of the launch of our new Web site."

Denver was the first of a number of major U.S. cities to host a large scale, record-breaking event in celebration of guinnessworldrecords.com, set to launch on October 23. The interactive Web site will feature video and audio clips, real time record updates, a comprehensive list of record holders, and a calendar of upcoming record-breaking events. The site will also complement the popular Guinness(R) World Records 2001 Edition, which is currently ranked number three on the New York Times Bestseller List.

About Guinness World Records

The first Guinness Book of Records was bound on August 27, 1955. It became an instant bestseller and quickly gained worldwide recognition as the authoritative source of records. Since inception, the book has grown in popularity around the world. Today, the book known as Guinness(R) World Records is the best-selling copyright book in the world. With over 90 million copies sold, the book is distributed in almost 100 markets and published in 23 different languages. In 1999, Guinness Publishing Ltd., changed its name to Guinness World Records Ltd., reflecting the company's increased globalization and diversification into other areas of business. Recent additions to the Guinness World Records brand are Guinness World Records Primetime, launched in 1998 with the U.S. version networked by Fox TV, and www.guinnessworldrecords.com, the company's interactive Web site that will launch in the United States in October, 2000.

Killericon
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xgEOEzpSS40?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xgEOEzpSS40?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BlaK-Argentina
10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Does that record still stand?

broncocalijohn
10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
in our new stadium? I dont believe it.

frerottenextelway
10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Remember when crowd noise used to be a penalty for the home team? One of the stupidest rules ever in pro sports.

frerottenextelway
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Remember when crowd noise used to be a penalty for the home team? One of the stupidest rules ever in pro sports.

Wow, apparently that's still in the rule book:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

"Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise."

Borks147
10-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Wow, apparently that's still in the rule book:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

"Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise."

can you imagine a 4th and 5 situation where this penalty was enforced? holy jebus.

SouthStndJunkie
10-02-2010, 01:50 AM
in our new stadium? I dont believe it.

First game in the new stadium was in 2001, the record was set in 2000.

Meck77
10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I was at that game. I think we played the Patriots that day. None the less the Guinness people had their fancy little sound dishes set up at half time. More than half the people were taking a leak or getting a brat when they actually measured the crowd noise. I think what I heard later was that the record was actually reset during the 3rd or 4th quarter when the 12th man started rocking.

Bronco Rob
10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
:thumbsup:

bronco militia
10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I was at that game. I think we played the Patriots that day. None the less the Guinness people had their fancy little sound dishes set up at half time. More than half the people were taking a leak or getting a brat when they actually measured the crowd noise. I think what I heard later was that the record was actually reset during the 3rd or 4th quarter when the 12th man started rocking.

yep...it's a bogus record.

and **** you brian griese for sucking hard in this game

Beantown Bronco
10-03-2010, 08:35 AM

I was there too....yup, they confirmed that the record got broken during Deltha O'Neal's punt return for a TD when the place went berzerk.

Meck77
10-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I was there too....yup, they confirmed that the record got broken during Deltha O'Neal's punt return for a TD when the place went berzerk.

Hard to believe it's been a decade. Even harder to believe Shanny pinned our hopes on guys like Deltha O'neal.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
BUMP

Looks like Seattle's attempting it this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seattle-seahawks-fans-try-set-world-record-loudest-203742130--nfl.html

If I was San Fran, just to piss the fans off, I'd complain to the refs about excessive crowd noise at least once every drive to see if they'd actually give them a penalty.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
I think that penalty only applies when the noise is impeading the refs communications with each other. Give out a warning first then a penalty. Don't think the visiting team can complain about noise

Rohirrim
09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
First game in the new stadium was in 2001, the record was set in 2000.

Hard to believe it's been that long.

Kaylore
09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Does that record still stand?

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/loudest-crowd-roar-at-a-sports-stadium/

The loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium was 131.76 dbA and was achieved by Galatasaray Spor Kulubu (Turkey) at the Ali Sami Yen Sport Complex Turk Telekom Arena, in Istanbul, Turkey, on 18 March 2011.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I think that penalty only applies when the noise is impeading the refs communications with each other. Give out a warning first then a penalty. Don't think the visiting team can complain about noise

The following is an excerpt from an interview chicagosports.com did with former NFL referee Jerry Markbreit in 2004:

" There is a rules procedure set up for crowd noise when the visiting team cannot hear signals because of the noise. If, in the opinion of the referee, and after a signal from the quarterback, the noise is so loud that play cannot continue, the game is stopped and an announcement is made to the crowd in an attempt to quiet things down. After a second announcement and an appeal to the home team to assist in quieting the crowd, and if the noise does not subside, the home team is charged a timeout. The only time a 5-yard penalty would be assessed is when the home team is out of timeouts.

bronco militia
09-13-2013, 09:50 AM
The following is an excerpt from an interview chicagosports.com did with former NFL referee Jerry Markbreit in 2004:

" There is a rules procedure set up for crowd noise when the visiting team cannot hear signals because of the noise. If, in the opinion of the referee, and after a signal from the quarterback, the noise is so loud that play cannot continue, the game is stopped and an announcement is made to the crowd in an attempt to quiet things down. After a second announcement and an appeal to the home team to assist in quieting the crowd, and if the noise does not subside, the home team is charged a timeout. The only time a 5-yard penalty would be assessed is when the home team is out of timeouts.

I think those rules were nuked after the NFL allowed radio's in the QB's helmet

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I think those rules were nuked after the NFL allowed radio's in the QB's helmet

Radio's have been in QB's helmets since the 90s.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
That's pretty lame. Like the NFL wants to control home field advantage as well as the plays in the game.

Kaylore
09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
There's also a rule against helping a running back to his feet after a tackle. I've never seen that or the crowd noise rule called in a game, though.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2013, 10:04 AM
There's also a rule against helping a running back to his feet after a tackle. I've never that or the crowd noise rule called in a game, though.

Speaking of unenforced rules, I have yet to see the "lowering of the helmet by the RB in the open field" called yet, despite the networks pointing out obvious examples during some of last weekend's games. I thought that was going to be a point of emphasis this year. Guess not. At least until someone gets hurt.

Kaylore
09-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Speaking of unenforced rules, I have yet to see the "lowering of the helmet by the RB in the open field" called yet, despite the networks pointing out obvious examples during some of last weekend's games. I thought that was going to be a point of emphasis this year. Guess not. At least until someone gets hurt.

Yeah I wondered about that. It's only outside the tackle box, and it appears they are being pretty liberal with what that area includes, I guess.

I also noticed they are trending away from penalizing during games and just waiting until Tuesday to fine guys. There was an uncalled horsecollar tackle that someone got fined with.

BroncoMan4ever
09-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Hard to believe it's been a decade. Even harder to believe Shanny pinned our hopes on guys like Deltha O'neal.

If he only played against Trent Green the guy would be a 1st ballot hall of famer

broncocalijohn
09-13-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/loudest-crowd-roar-at-a-sports-stadium/

The loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium was 131.76 dbA and was achieved by Galatasaray Spor Kulubu (Turkey) at the Ali Sami Yen Sport Complex Turk Telekom Arena, in Istanbul, Turkey, on 18 March 2011.

There should be an asterick by that record. The reason it was 131.76 was during a goal, the opposing teams' fans chucked a grenade. Add the euphoria crowd noise of the 1st goal (and only ) after 87 minutes of a 0 to 0 score, add the grenade and then a 60k soccer nuts screaming in panic, you will easily reach 131. The scream for the goal was just a 102.34.

Bacchus
09-13-2013, 11:35 AM
can you imagine a 4th and 5 situation where this penalty was enforced? holy jebus.

Officials rarely threw the flag. A lot of times the opposing QB would say he couldn't hear and the officials would stop the game for a few seconds so the crowd would quiet down.

Eventually, the opposing QB would say he couldn't hear and would let the 30 second clock expire. The Officials would then penalize the QB for delay of game and this led to the QBs being forced to play through the noise. Now days with the head sets from the sidelines being wired directly to the QB they crowd noise isn't a big deal like it used to be.

NYBroncoManiac
09-13-2013, 12:28 PM

My wife and I were there too. It was her first pro football game. The Erector Set was rockin!

Mogulseeker
09-13-2013, 01:28 PM
My wife and I were there too. It was her first pro football game. The Erector Set was rockin!

I don't want to hear about what your wife does with your erector set.

NYBroncoManiac
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't want to hear about what your wife does with your erector set.

That's too bad, it's really a pretty good story :wiggle:

Bronco Rob
09-14-2013, 04:27 PM
BUMP

Looks like Seattle's attempting it this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seattle-seahawks-fans-try-set-world-record-loudest-203742130--nfl.html

If I was San Fran, just to piss the fans off, I'd complain to the refs about excessive crowd noise at least once every drive to see if they'd actually give them a penalty.

For my buddies shanahan & mighty smurf!

:thumbs:

extralife
09-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I hate these dumb records. it should only count if the cheer arises organically. who the **** wants to cheer for a dumb sign telling them to cheer while nothing is going on? pointless